PDA

View Full Version : My encounter with a Ferrari Legend

ali355
2nd August 2009, 22:41
They say you should never meet your heroes, as you will only be disappointed. Nothing ever lives up to the hype. For me it couldnt be further from the truth.

On Friday I was told that the next day, for the princely sum of £20, which would be donated to a charity, I would be getting a ride in a Ferrari F40. Not Just any Ferrari F40, this was an ex Alain Prost Ferrari F40.

The charity event had all sorts of other automotive Exotica - a new Nissan GTR, Lambo's of assorted colours, a Porsche 911 GT3RS, Aston Martins, Ferrari 348 with a straight through Tubi exhaust, Testa Rossa and 550 Maranello, the list went on and on. But there was only one car I was interested in - the one that is single handedly responsible for my obsession with the house of Maranello.

The owner of the car had flown his own helicopter from a historic car race, where he was racing a 70's F1 car, to take a handfull of lucky lucky people for a spin round a "private test track" in the middle of nowhere

When we arrived, quite a few of the cars were parked up with people milling around, the owners proudly showing off their prized posessions. Then the F40 pulled in to the car park and every single person their turned to look. It oozed menace like no other car I have ever come accross.

This is the first view I had of the beast:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7508/dscf0918i.jpg

I was due to have the last run of the day and was duly invited to climb in and strap myself in to the passenger seat. To say I was excited was the understatement of the decade - I just about climbed over the sill and into the bucket seat, closing the door gingerly as I got in- I really did not want to damage a £200k+ hypercar! At this point the owner had to reach across, open the door and close it with a huge thud just to make sure it was shut properly- so much for treating the old girl with kid gloves!

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2972/dscf0923.jpg

He started her up - Wow, what a noise. Even on idle it sounded fantastic - then he blipped the throttle, every single hair on my boody stood on end. We turned left out of the car park and off we went - 20 mins or so of sheer terror mixed with elation, heart stopping acceleration and phenomenal car control.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5107/dscf0924j.jpg

The first thing I clocked was the sheer sparseness of the car- no compromise to comfort was made at all with this thing- no stereo (not that you need one), no wind down windows, not even a door handle.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/830/dscf0885.jpg

As the owner changed gears you could sense how heavy the clutch was and how much hard work it was for him to swap cogs. At this point we had reached about 60 mph and the sound was glorious. He looked accross and asked if I was ready for what was about to happen and I said yes!

He dropped down a gear and floored the throttle, and for a split second it was as if nothing had happened, but behind me I just about clocked the sound of Turbos spooling up and then BANG!!! massive massive acceleration, it was as if a heavy weight boxer had put both his hands on my shoulders and was pinning me back into my seat - I have never felt anything like it in my life - I just about craned my neck over to the speedo - 130 mph, and still he was accelerating! It was a phenomenal feeling.

What followed was yet more savage acceleration and if I am honest some absolutley heroic car control as it was becoming clear that it was one hell of a hard car to drive, expecially in the damp conditions we were in. But the smile on the owners face said it all.

We returned to the car park after our stint, and I got out still shaking at the experience I had just had. All that was left was to have my picture taken besides the old girl, and stand and listen to it tick itself cool in the summer rain.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1264/dscf0937y.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3434/dscf0967r.jpg

This chap had quite a car collection, which he reeled off to me afterwards, and when I asked him what was the ultimate car in his collection, with a smile he said the f40 everytime. It is a snarling brute of a car, but if you master it the rewards are incredible.

For me it will always be the ultimate- the perfect combination of pedigree, power, menace and theatre. I had a poster of one on my bedroom wall as a kid, I have a scale model of one on my desk at work and now I have had the pleasure of hearing, seeing, smelling and feeling one in full, magnificent flow. For me it represents Hyper Car genesis, the starting point for all that came after it, with a sense of personality that nothing since has been able to match. What a machine, and what a legend.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2841/dscf0961m.jpg

beanie88
2nd August 2009, 23:44
Fantastic post. Well written. Beautiful car. Lucky you. :bow

Ste
3rd August 2009, 00:49
Fantastic post. Well written. Beautiful car. Lucky you. :bow

:thumb +1

Awesome stuff Ali, and it's great that you finally for-filled a dream!

Tifoso
3rd August 2009, 01:02
You dawg!

My dream is to drive in a Ferrari at speed. Some day.

I hope you realize how lucky you are.

Dimsa
3rd August 2009, 01:06
You encountered something beatifull that most of man kind can dream for:-)
And good choice the F40 its awsome:thumb

Ant Raikkonen
3rd August 2009, 09:39
You dawg!

My dream is to drive in a Ferrari at speed. Some day.

I **think** i'm getting a track day in one as a wedding present. I'm praying for it. Only a few weeks to wait.
We will see.......:-)

@ Ali, Well done there. Where did this take place.?

Tifosi
3rd August 2009, 12:06
nice one Ali :thumb

Greig
3rd August 2009, 12:15
Nice post :thumb

Testarossa6000
3rd August 2009, 12:18
A Warning if you are booking in the UK - Do NOT do it through Driving Experience Direct. A total rip off. The advertised laps in an Enzo and as that was the only one I had not done, my kids scaped together and booked it for me advising the people there that I was a Ferrari tifoso and ONLY the Enzo would do - no Porsche or Lambos or any other foreign offerings, etc. They promised we would get the Enzo. A few weeks before the event, we were contacted and told the Enzo could not run due to noise limit. They should not have offered this without checking the limits. Anyway, due to the small print, we did not get our money back.

Be careful and read the small print carefully.

Ali - you lucky lucky boy!!! What an experience.

Italian Spirit
3rd August 2009, 12:24
Wonderful !

You're a poet, Ali! :-)

neermsc
3rd August 2009, 12:56
superb article!!!!!!!!!u should write for topgear!!!!!:thumb:thumb

Ant Raikkonen
4th August 2009, 08:49
A Warning if you are booking in the UK - Do NOT do it through Driving Experience Direct. A total rip off. The advertised laps in an Enzo and as that was the only one I had not done, my kids scaped together and booked it for me advising the people there that I was a Ferrari tifoso and ONLY the Enzo would do - no Porsche or Lambos or any other foreign offerings, etc. They promised we would get the Enzo. A few weeks before the event, we were contacted and told the Enzo could not run due to noise limit. They should not have offered this without checking the limits. Anyway, due to the small print, we did not get our money back.

Be careful and read the small print carefully.

Thanks very much for that advice! :thumb

vectra
4th August 2009, 09:05
Nice.
The closest I got to that expereince was driving my buddies F355 spider.
Now that was a nice feeling when I flooored the right foot,
as you said
Like a heavyweight boxer pushing you back into the seat.:thumb

ali355
6th August 2009, 11:55
Cheers for all the nice comments folks- it really was a dream come true so thought I would share the experiences with like some like minded folk! For those interested the event is based from the Jenny Wrenn Inn in Susworth near scun thorpe, and happens on the first of August every year. There is every indication that it will be run again next year, and details will appear in the yorkshire sub forum on the pistonheads website nearer the time.

vagos
6th August 2009, 14:14
This is great m8 i wish i could do that as well :-)well done m8 and thanks a lot for sharing!:-)

tifosi1035
6th August 2009, 15:03
I still remember my ride in an F40. Descriptions dont do it justice. Simply unworldly.

kelly7898
18th March 2010, 13:27
very nice

Thank you for the post.