PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2010 - Oulton Park

Julie B
6th June 2010, 09:33
QUALIFYING
Tom Onslow-Cole has qualified on pole position in Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying at the Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire.

In a terrifically close session, which ended with the top four separated by just 0.069s, Onslow-Cole took pole with a best lap of 1m27.330s behind the wheel of his LPG-powered Team Aon Ford Focus. It’s his first pole in the BTCC for two years.

Honda Racing Team’s Gordon Shedden was second fastest, just 0.020s behind in his Honda Civic. Jason Plato’s Silverline Chevrolet Cruze was third, another 0.039s adrift and just 0.010s up on his young team-mate Alex MacDowall who was fourth. MacDowall had looked set to be on course for pole near the end of the session - setting the fastest first two sector times - until making a mistake towards the close of the lap.

Of note, Plato set his time despite his car carrying 36kg of success ballast. And with Honda’s Matt Neal, the driver with which he shares the championship lead, back in seventh, Plato knows will surely sense an opportunity to nose back ahead in the title fight in tomorrow’s three races.

But there was frustration for home hero Paul O’Neill. The Widnes driver had initially set the sixth fastest time but when his Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Honda Integra stopped out on track with a gearbox problem was powerless to respond as his name dropped down to eighth on the timesheets. Fellow local driver, Tom Boardman from Preston, qualified his Special Tuning UK SEAT Leon 12th fastest.

Meanwhile, Onslow-Cole, just turned 23 and from New Malden, Middlesex, is hoping some strong results tomorrow will enable him to improve on his seventh place in the current drivers’ standings. He said: “It’s about time! I’m really chuffed with that because I wasn’t on the pace in the two practice sessions but really had a good look at the data and made some changes to the car which worked a treat. It’s also a great feeling to be on pole at Oulton as it’s a real test for a driver.”

Scottish hero Shedden, who has won on every visit to Oulton, commented: “I felt I could maybe have got a fraction more out of the car which is slightly frustrating considering how close I am to pole but it’s still good to be starting from the front row. Jason’s pace with that ballast in his car is something I think we all need to keep an eye out for…”

Oxford-based Plato, the 2001 Champion, appeared disappointed not to have sneaked pole, adding: “My first lap, when the tyres were at their freshest, should have been my best but it didn’t quite all come together. I actually set my time when the best had gone out of the tyres. But I’m in there at the sharp end and we’ve made some good improvements with the car in recent testing so not so bad.”

Elsewhere, WSR's Robert Collard was the highest-placed BMW driver in sixth. Airwaves BMW's Mat Jackson was ninth after a wild moment at Old Hall and James Nash, in Triple Eight's Vauxhall Vectra, completed the top ten just ahead of Jackson's team-mate Steven Kane, currently third in the drivers' standings but seemingly unable to get near the ultimate pace on what is his 30th birthday.

Kane, though, didn't seem too concerned, saying: "I'm actually quite happy as I have a fair bit of ballast in the car which I'm getting used to. The gap isn't ridiculous and tomorrow is totally different and I think three top five finishes are on."

Totally out of luck was Andrew Jordan, the Pirtek Racing driver not appearing in the session at all as his mechanics changed his Vectra's engine after problems in the earlier second free practice session. He will therefore start the first of tomorrow's three races from last on the 22-car grid.

Greig
6th June 2010, 09:51
Come on Super Sheds :-D

Julie B
6th June 2010, 12:17
Race 1 - Results
Tom Onslow-Cole took his second British Touring Car Championship victory of the year in the opening race of the day at Oulton Park.

The Arena Ford driver started from pole position and led the whole race, despite incessant pressure from Honda's Gordon Shedden.

Rob Collard moved his WSR BMW ahead of Jason Plato's Chevrolet into Old Hall on the second lap and latched onto Shedden's tail as the front three opened up a lead of a second on the rest.

Onslow-Cole, Shedden and Collard remained tied together throughout most the 17 laps, with Collard three times drawing alongside Shedden's Civic on the run out of the Island hairpin, only for the Scotsman to defend his position well.

Onslow-Cole, who was himself hit by Shedden at Island on lap 12, hung on to win by 0.348s. After inheriting a victory at Brands Hatch after on-the-road winner Tom Chilton was disqualified, this was his first 'proper' success since Thruxton in 2008.

Behind the front three, Plato held fourth for most of the race, but lost it when Mat Jackson hit him from behind at Cascades with three laps to go.

Plato skated across the grass and dropped to 10th in the process while Jackson's Motorbase BMW came home fourth.

Chilton (Arena Ford), Steven Kane (Motorbase BMW) and Alex MacDowall (Chevrolet) were next up, while Matt Neal's eighth place gave the Honda driver a two-point lead in the championship over Plato.

Paul O'Neill, who began the day fourth in the championship, did not start the race after a late gearbox change for his Tech-Speed Honda.

Andrew Jordan, who started last after an engine change forced him to miss qualifying, also retired with falling oil pressure. The Eurotech Vauxhall driver will miss the second race while the team replaces another engine.

Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Tom Onslow-Cole Ford 26m23.471s
2. Gordon Shedden Honda +0.348
3. Rob Collard BMW +1.173
4. Mat Jackson BMW +2.097
5. Tom Chilton Ford +2.862
6. Steven Kane BMW +3.464
7. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet +5.120
8. Matt Neal Honda +6.090
9. James Nash Vauxhall +6.330
10. Jason Plato Chevrolet +11.629
11. Andy Neate BMW +16.851
12. John George Honda +17.911
13. Lea Wood Honda +18.868
14. Martin Depper BMW +19.025
15. Martin Johnson Vauxhall +40.585
16. Arthur Forster BMW +41.072
17. Shaun Hollamby Volkswagen +6 laps

Not classified

David Pinkney Vauxhall 10 laps
Andrew Jordan Vauxhall 4 laps
Matthew Hamilton Honda 2 laps
Tom Boardman SEAT 1 lap
Paul O'Neill Honda 0 laps

Greig
6th June 2010, 14:37
Dirty Plato :-D

Rob
6th June 2010, 14:47
Dirty Plato :-D

im recording it, but switched over and watched that race, he very dirty ;-)

Rob
6th June 2010, 15:00
Race 2 - Results
Plato wins in battered Cruze

Jason Plato has won the second of today’s three Dunlop British Touring Car Championship races at the Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire.

Chevrolet driver Plato started from tenth on the grid but took advantage of a tangle between several cars ahead of him on the opening lap to get in among the front-runners.

He then passed Tom Chilton for third into the chicane and Mat Jackson for second into the hairpin before rapidly closing down the gap to leader Tom Onsow-Cole. On lap ten he made his move, again at the hairpin, but their cars made front-to-rear contact and Plato's Chevrolet Cruze was left with significant damage to its bonnet and front wing.

But he was able to hold on to the end for his 55th win in the BTCC - he is now just five shy of Andy Rouse's record of 60 - and to also move back past Matt Neal into the championship lead.

Close behind him at the end in second was Honda Racing Team's Neal who also found a way past Onslow-Cole who finished third in his Team Aon Ford Focus to add to his earlier race one win. Onslow-Cole has now moved up to third in the standings going into today's third race which begins at 5.10pm.

Plato told btcc.net: "It wasn't easy - that prang with Tom pushed the handling out a bit. It's a mega result for everyone in the team as well because they'd had to perform major surgery on the car after race, fitting a new slave cylinder and master cylinder in the pedal box. A top job."

For full results click on this link: http://www.btcc.net/html/raceresults_detail.php?race_id=71&season_id=53

Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Jason Plato Chevrolet 22m22.567s
2. Matt Neal Honda +0.749
3. Tom Onslow-Cole Ford +3.483
4. Mat Jackson BMW +4.921
5. Steven Kane BMW +9.378
6. Tom Chilton Ford +12.016
7. James Nash Vauxhall +12.328
8. Tom Boardman SEAT +13.134
9. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet +37.184
10. David Pinkney Vauxhall +37.227
11. Lea Wood Honda +37.899
12. Matthew Hamilton Honda +38.522
13. Arthur Forster BMW +45.655
14. Martin Depper BMW +47.410
15. Rob Collard BMW +49.282
16. Andrew Jordan Vauxhall +1 lap
17. Andy Neate BMW +1 lap

Not classified

John George Honda 13 laps
Martin Johnson Vauxhall 13 laps
Shaun Hollamby Volkswagen 5 laps
Gordon Shedden Honda 2 laps
Paul O'Neill Honda 0 laps

Julie B
6th June 2010, 17:13
Race 3 - Results
Matt Neal moved back to the top of the British Touring Car Championship by winning the final race of the day at Oulton Park.

The Honda driver started eighth on the grid, but a combination of some well-judged passing moves and the misfortune of some of his rivals paved his way to the front.

Neal's win, his third of the year, gives him an eight-point lead over Jason Plato, who had led the standings after race two.

Polesitter Alex MacDowall led the opening three laps, but retired when his Chevrolet slowed to a halt at Knickerbrook.

That handed the advantage to Tom Boardman, but the Special Tuning UK SEAT driver was overtaken by Tom Chilton's Arena Ford at Old Hall on lap nine.

Chilton's lead lasted just one more corner as he held a massive tankslapper at Cascades, but lost four places as a result.

That turned the lead battle into a fight between Boardman and Neal, and the Honda man got ahead at Lodge on lap 14 as he dived inside the black machine.

Boardman retired half a lap later with a broken right-front wheel, possibly as a result of contact with Neal during the passing move.

Neal was followed through the field by Steven Kane's Motorbase BMW, which finished half a second behind him, and by James Nash, who took his first podium finish of the year in his Triple 8 Vauxhall.

Chilton held on to his fourth place ahead of his team-mate Tom Onslow-Cole and Plato's Chevrolet.

Mat Jackson was seventh for Motorbase and Paul O'Neill, who did not make the start of either of the first two races, looked on course for eighth after a good fight up from the back of the field.

The Tech-Speed Honda driver ran wide at Cascades on the final lap though and dropped to 10th as the WSR BMWs of Rob Collard and Andy Neate flew by.

Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Matt Neal Honda 29m17.935s
2. Steven Kane BMW +0.282
3. James Nash Vauxhall +1.321
4. Tom Chilton Ford +2.109
5. Tom Onslow-Cole Ford +2.493
6. Jason Plato Chevrolet +3.919
7. Mat Jackson BMW +4.376
8. Rob Collard BMW +5.248
9. Andy Neate BMW +6.185
10. Paul O'Neill Honda +8.146
11. Gordon Shedden Honda +15.452
12. David Pinkney Vauxhall +21.554
13. Lea Wood Honda +22.097
14. Matthew Hamilton Honda +31.740
15. Martin Johnson Vauxhall +39.013
16. Arthur Forster BMW +1 lap

Not classified

Shaun Hollamby Volkswagen 16 laps
Tom Boardman SEAT 14 laps
Andrew Jordan Vauxhall 10 laps
Alex MacDowall Chevrolet 3 laps
Martin Depper BMW 0 laps

Greig
6th June 2010, 17:51
Enjoyable BTCC weekend, some great racing :-)

Rob
6th June 2010, 19:05
got to watch the last race aswell, that was great. I now it couple months away but well looking forward to Snetterton now.

Julie B
6th June 2010, 19:26
Wonder whether Donington will be ready in time :Hmm

Rob
6th June 2010, 19:32
Wonder whether Donington will be ready in time :Hmm

im not sure, i hope it will be. Hasnt it been bought recently?

Rob
6th June 2010, 19:33
they have 3 months :-??

Tifosi
7th June 2010, 11:24
Just got back from Oulton Park. Great weekend as ever.

I did believe Julie was approaching the circuit at one point cos it started spitting with rain but it stopped so assume she never made it in the end ;-)

Saw this and just had to post it ;-)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8282/img0045largeg.jpg

"Dirty am I eh!....... well at least i'm not as dirty as Matt Neal!"
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9808/img0049large.jpg

Julie B
7th June 2010, 12:58
Hahaha fortunately for you I didn't go :lol