PDA

View Full Version : McLaren to keep close eye on Ferrari

vcs316
24th June 2010, 03:10
McLaren's engineering director Paddy Lowe admits the team are "concerned" about Ferrari following their adoption of the low-mounted exhaust system.

Red Bull were the first team to introduce the configuration and many believe their success this season is down to the device.

Ferrari confirmed this week that the F10 will sport major updates at the European Grand Prix, including a new configuration for the exhaust system.

Lowe says they will keep a watchful eye on Ferrari at Valencia this weekend.

"That is a concern. I think we'll have to see how they get on with it," Lowe said during a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in teleconference It's a shame that some others have been slightly quicker than we were getting it, but we are where we are. I think we'll have to do what we can and see.

"It all depends at each circuit on how the different characteristics suit some cars and not others. For instance Ferrari really struggled in Turkey. I can't predict where they'll end up any more really than I can predict where we'll end up."

McLaren are pressing ahead with their plans to introduce their version of blown rear end concept at Silverstone next month.

"It's quite a significant performance step," Lowe said. "That's something we're aiming to bring to the British Grand Prix and to try and make it work from the outset.

"There are some technical challenges with it, especially blasting your bodywork directly with exhaust flow can generate some particularly high temperatures. It's not without challenges to hit the ground running with a system like that when we don't have any proper track testing.

"We'll be doing trials at an aerodynamic day before Silverstone to hopefully have it working in the practice sessions and race."

Meanwhile, Red Bull's decision to use the F-duct at Valencia isn't giving Lowe restless nights.

"We'll see what they do," he added. "They brought it to Turkey and ran it on the Friday, but then bailed out of it for the rest of the weekend. This is their second attempt and it's a system that is not without challenges to get it to work in a way where you're net positive on performance. But I don't know how well they are going to do or not do.

"It's not a huge concern for us; we expected teams to be playing catch up with us, just as we're emulating the [Red Bull] exhaust. So when Red Bull gets it [the F-duct] to work we are ready to face that."

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/6224669/McLaren-to-keep-close-eye-on-Ferrari

mad_ani
24th June 2010, 04:21
I believe Ferrari make those new concepts work effectively by keeping it simple. The Ferrari F-duct looked more than a random add on as compared to Mclaren, but hell, we got the top highest top speed in Spain down the straights...Hope we have tuned the exhaust trumpets and they have no bearing on our fuel efficiency or performance...

From an technical point of view we now have:

Mclaren : with F duct and no exhaust blow diffuser
RB: pull rod, exhaust blown diffser and trial f duct in Valencia
Ferrari exhaust blown diffuser and F duct...

Hope we can keep the advantage beyond Silverstone and for the rest of the season with better updates :-), would be nice to see Massa win this weekend

epiclyaddicted
24th June 2010, 10:19
I just read the title of the thread, and thought..... ah, the good old days! ;-) :-D

Ferrari_Fanatic
24th June 2010, 10:34
I just read the title of the thread, and thought..... ah, the good old days! ;-) :-D

lolll yeah i dont mind them keeping an eye on us aslong there behind us! mind you tho if these upgrades are good thats all everyone will be doing is looking behind us :clap

Hermann
24th June 2010, 10:44
McLaren- 'keeping an eye' on Ferrari??? loooool.....

Rishu
24th June 2010, 10:48

McLaren would rather keep close eye on Pat Fry:-??

Ferrari_Fanatic
24th June 2010, 11:01
McLaren would rather keep close eye on Pat Fry:-??

they say they ain't to fussed about pat fry leaving them.....

i'm trested in what he can bring to us!

Naeem
24th June 2010, 16:49
The pull rod is not an advantage nor a disadvantage. It allows for the rear end to be packed tighter thus better aero but the RBs are awful at tyre management at high acceleration type circuits.

schuey612
24th June 2010, 17:01
seeing the title of this thread as made me more confient of strong results, hopefully our boys can bring home a joint podium finnsh this weekend.

Suzie
24th June 2010, 19:51
Don't believe a word that team says, sorry. Of course, they could be genuinely afraid, or they could be saying it because they have ulterior motives.

Curbs
24th June 2010, 20:16
So mcLaren has to watch 3 new teams with RB style exhaust now.
Renault and Mercedes will also have this new exhasutlayout.

Brakefade
25th June 2010, 02:58

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_N-QKqkY56lw/SN0toEFsRiI/AAAAAAAAAMU/rikzrLQ_vqg/s400/doefsquirrelfrenchfry1%5B1%5D.jpg

Rishu
25th June 2010, 03:19
they say they ain't to fussed about pat fry leaving them.....

i'm trested in what he can bring to us!

Me too:-)

red power
27th June 2010, 10:15
McCheats what a nerve, as for M Schumacher his seven times a better driver than you'll ever be Hamilton you w..ker.