PDA

View Full Version : F1 and the safety car rules

Greig
27th June 2010, 13:52
Why does the FIA just not say when the SC comes out then the order is frozen from the lap before, then we have no rush to the pits, no teams being screwed over by others accidents, and no real issues.

F1 decided by a lottery

Ste
27th June 2010, 14:05
Why does the FIA just not say when the SC comes out then the order is frozen from the lap before, then we have no rush to the pits, no teams being screwed over by others accidents, and no real issues.

F1 decided by a lottery

To be honest, that sounds like a really good idea. As you say, nobody gets screwed. And as you also say - it's a complete lottery.

Hermann
27th June 2010, 14:43

F1 decided by a lottery

They will probably do that now. But only after Hamilton has his win. Like in Canada, when he was allowed to keep his pole, and they decided to change the rule afterwards.

Greig
27th June 2010, 14:44
Vettel been DQ?

SanderV
27th June 2010, 14:46
Shouldn't the safety car simply pick up the race leader?

FerrariF60
27th June 2010, 15:54

that's what i thought a safety car supposed to do.....pick up the leader
so it should have came out in front of Vettel...NO????

NJB13
27th June 2010, 16:14
Although I think Alonso is right, in the sense that the circumstances of the race were manipulated to suit McLiars, I don't think there was any conspiracy as such. The stewards definitely took too long to make, what was in the end a simple straight forward decision. In retrospect Fernando and Felipe would have ended up better had they also just passed the SC. They would have been given the same penalty and ended up on track in the respective positions - 3rd and 4th.
We were also hard done by because we did abide by the rules and did not speed under the safety - those who did seem to have gotten away with that as well. Again this is a simple decision and easy for the stewards to verify - definitely during the race and within a few minutes really of having the facts in front of them.
Hamilton is seen for the Liar that he is in the post race interview "I don't remember" absolutely no-one believes that and his reputation and image are tarnished even further. I would love the hear the radio recording from when he was next to the Safety Car, it was so clear he deliberately was going slow with the intention of just slipping past the SC jest before the end of the white line leaving us stuck behind. I'm sure everyone know this, and it is what is making Fernando so mad. I just wonder if anyone gave him instructions - would love to hear the radio conversation from that time.
Given all this, I think we, as a team, should calmly and privately state our case once - then move on. Things like this can have a very negative effect if you let them - instead we should use this to galvanize our team, draw us together and our leaders should use this to make us stronger and more determined. Perhaps we can push for stewards to be more independent and from more, shall we say, neutral, backgrounds.
The one thing I would hate to see is us become a team of whingers forever harking back to this race. It's happened, lets show how big and good we are by moving on - the best way to stick it to them is to start winning - and we do have a car that is at least competitive and we have the skill to make it better and the drivers who can win in it.
Forza Ferrari !!

Ferrari_gal
27th June 2010, 22:23

:-?? I thought that is what they were suppose to do naturally :roll

Greig or someone else please help me, what is DQ stand for here ???

mad_ani
28th June 2010, 00:19

F1 decided by a lottery

THe drivers have warning lights on their steering wheel...which does give out a warning about track conditions and SC....This was confirmed by Button, when he said '...The warning lights came out when I was in a high speed corner...and couldnt brake immediately"....
As in yesterday's race, Vettel Had passed the Sc point and it came out as Lewis went towards the first corner...SC and Medical cars are usually parked at the end of the pitstraight and takes off from there...If you do remmeber 2008, when pitlanes were closed...many drivers ran oout of fuel...a typical example is Singapore 2008....

mad_ani
28th June 2010, 00:20
:-?? I thought that is what they were suppose to do naturally :roll

Greig or someone else please help me, what is DQ stand for here ???

DQ is disqualified or a disqualification

Greig
28th June 2010, 08:27
THe drivers have warning lights on their steering wheel...which does give out a warning about track conditions and SC....This was confirmed by Button, when he said '...The warning lights came out when I was in a high speed corner...and couldnt brake immediately"....
As in yesterday's race, Vettel Had passed the Sc point and it came out as Lewis went towards the first corner...SC and Medical cars are usually parked at the end of the pitstraight and takes off from there...If you do remmeber 2008, when pitlanes were closed...many drivers ran oout of fuel...a typical example is Singapore 2008....

That has nothing to do with my point

Ferrari_gal
28th June 2010, 09:55
DQ is disqualified or a disqualification

Thankyou for responding. But why would they disqualify Vettel ? He won the race fair and square !!!!:roll

mad_ani
28th June 2010, 10:40
Thankyou for responding. But why would they disqualify Vettel ? He won the race fair and square !!!!:roll

Just a random comment I guess...makes no sense to me as well....

mad_ani
28th June 2010, 10:44
That has nothing to do with my point

Coz u asked "Why does the FIA just not say when the SC comes out then the order is frozen...."

Greig
28th June 2010, 10:44
Just a random comment I guess...makes no sense to me as well....

If you read the post above it, when it's claimed Lewis got his win yesterday, you will have some sense, but it's no surprise :-)

They will probably do that now. But only after Hamilton has his win.

If Lewis won yesterday then Vettel was DQ? hope that clears it up for you

Greig
28th June 2010, 10:46
Coz u asked "Why does the FIA just not say when the SC comes out then the order is frozen...."

yep, and how does your comments apply to what I said? If the order is frozen from the last complete lap then there is no lottery, no need to rush to pit, no need for drivers to speed, as they will just all start again from where they were.

raylinds
28th June 2010, 13:15

F1 decided by a lottery

Because that would make too much sense, which the FIA doesn't seem to possess.

Ferrari_gal
28th June 2010, 13:28
If you read the post above it, when it's claimed Lewis got his win yesterday, you will have some sense, but it's no surprise :-)

If Lewis won yesterday then Vettel was DQ? hope that clears it up for you

:thumb

Nova
28th June 2010, 13:48

This has been my understanding for years....a SC is not supposed to alter the outcome or running order...I remember in the past where the SC came out and always
picked up the leader.....I would add that since fuel is not an issue, the pitlane should be closed during sc...no advantage to anyone..same running order...

But hey..didnt the SC pickup the leader in Monaco??? Whats changed since then??? What an amazing drop off in the professionalism of the race stewards..Mabey Charlie Whiting should
find a beach..you know...retire....

MS7XWDC
28th June 2010, 15:50
Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali called for a rethink on the rules, particularly the delay it took for the stewards to decide on punishing Hamilton, who was Alonso's team mate at McLaren in a frosty 2007 pairing.

That's pretty ironic. Doubt they'd feel this way if Ferrari benefited from the rule.

Hermann
28th June 2010, 15:55
Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali called for a rethink on the rules, particularly the delay it took for the stewards to decide on punishing Hamilton, who was Alonso's team mate at McLaren in a frosty 2007 pairing.

That's pretty ironic. Doubt they'd feel this way if Ferrari benefited from the rule.

No its normal. Ferrari has to stand up for Ferrari and not for any other team. If it had been one of the Ferrari's- let alone Alonso- who passed the safety car and got such a ridiculous 'penalty', McLaren would be working behind the scenes to have his superlicense to be revoked and screaming murder.

But troll along.

Greig
28th June 2010, 15:59

What like your beloved MS calling for a look at the rules regarding the red light in pit lane? would he call for it when it affected anyone else, really why do you bother trying to troll...

Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn were left echoing Fernando Alonso’s criticism of the safety car rule and stewards’ inconsistencies and poor decisions in last weekend’s European Grand Prix, after the record-breaking seven-time F1 World Champion took the chequered flag in the lowest position of his entire top flight career in Valencia.

Having left himself with a mountain to climb come race day around the Spanish city’s harbourside streets from a lowly 15th on the starting grid, ‘Schumi’ was just under six seconds ahead of Kamui Kobayashi when the safety car appeared on lap nine to enable the debris from Mark Webber’s frightening Red Bull Air Race demonstration to be cleared up – and behind Sauber’s Japanese ace was a train of eleven more cars covered by less than 20 seconds.

Diving for the pits, with the red light on at the exit, the German legend subsequently found himself having to wait frustratedly at the end of the pit-lane after taking his stop to allow the field to filter past – and when he was finally permitted to rejoin the action, he was virtually plum last. Fifteenth spot at the close marked the worst classified finish out of his 258 grand prix starts – and the third time from nine races this season that the most successful driver in the sport’s long history has crossed the line outside of the points.

“What a race,” the 41-year-old acknowledged afterwards. “We would like to have clarification about the safety car situation, as the red light on the exit from my first pit-stop destroyed a race which otherwise would have offered us very good possibilities.

“Our point-of-view is that as the safety car had passed the pits without having the cars lined up behind it, there should not have been a red light. There was a green light for a moment and then suddenly it went red again – we believe that this was not correct. Our strategy was right in that context, as we took the opportunity which could have given us a finish even close to the podium.”

Schumacher’s sentiments were shared by Mercedes Grand Prix team principal Brawn, who contended that the Kerpen native – whose best lap was the second-quickest of the race and almost a full second faster than that of team-mate Nico Rosberg, who finished a similarly delayed tenth – had ‘a golden opportunity’ to leap up the order until the pit-lane light turned from ‘go’ to ‘stop’.

“The race was a disappointing outcome to our weekend in Valencia,” rued the Englishman, after Mercedes had likewise been caught out by safety car ambiguity in Monaco last month. “The car was reasonable, but again we suffered from our qualifying performance which is an issue that we need to get on top of quickly. Nico got caught up at the start; therefore, we made an early pit-stop which was unfortunately compromised when the safety car came out and we lost any benefit. From there, Nico’s race was about consolidating his position as we had some concerns over brake wear which he did an excellent job to manage.

“With Michael, we were looking to benefit strongly from the safety car. As the leaders had not been picked up, Michael was waved through and that gave us a golden opportunity to make his pit-stop, as our predictions were that the ‘Option’ tyre would hold up for the remainder of the race. However, when Michael came to exit the pits, the red light was showing which cost him a significant amount of time.

“In our view, the regulations are clear that the exit light should not go red until the line of cars has formed behind the safety car, and we would like the FIA to look into this. There was no line formed and over 18 seconds between [Lewis] Hamilton and Kobayashi when Michael came in. It was a good effort from Michael to try and recover from there, but ultimately a very frustrating afternoon.”

Tifosi
28th June 2010, 16:44

Please explain the irony. I fear their isn't any. :roll

Ferrari_gal
28th June 2010, 17:22
What like your beloved MS calling for a look at the rules regarding the red light in pit lane? would he call for it when it affected anyone else, really why do you bother trying to troll...

:redcard :tongue

RedDragon
28th June 2010, 20:28

F1 decided by a lottery

Excellent idea. No more grey areas, no more questions or doubts in anyone's minds. No more reason for anyone to speed. Just line everyone up behind the SC, nice and simple.