PDA

View Full Version : McLaren want Ferrari testing loophole closed

Ferrari_Fanatic
30th June 2010, 09:21
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh wants the rules on testing clarified after claiming Ferrari broke them.

Whitmarsh feels the Italian team contravened strict rules governing how much in-season testing can be done.

Fernando Alonso drove the current car at their Fiorano test track on 18 June for "promotional purposes".

"I didn't think they needed clarification, but for some they clearly do," said Whitmarsh, who felt the drive helped develop Ferrari's car.

The amount of costly testing teams can do was slashed as the global economic crisis hit Formula 1, with only four days of straight-line testing allowed during the season.

But teams are allowed to use their cars on tracks for promotional reasons, provided special tyres are used.

Ferrari's website claims Alonso "only completed a few kilometres." But the team added "you have to make the most of any opportunity in this era of the testing ban".

I think now, as we can see signs of the economy improving, we can go back to testing

Martin Whitmarsh
"Formula 1 is a very competitive business and people are going to try to take advantage of any perceived ambiguity," Whitmarsh said.

"It isn't ambiguous in my English interpretation of it, but others obviously thought it was," he added.

Both Ferrari's cars at Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia will be using the new blown diffuser for the first time, which channels exhaust gases to make the cars go faster.

Highlights - European GP qualifying (UK users only)
Whitmarsh's thoughts were echoed by Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, who described Ferrari's promotional drive as "arguably within the letter of the laws, but not within the spirit".

He admitted that Ferrari were not the first team this season to bend the rules on testing.

"The temptation is there. We've had some arguable decisions, such as with Mercedes, and then you hear rumours of Renault doing something, Ferrari doing something.

"Once one does it then everybody feels, 'Well, if that's how you are going to interpret something, then I'll push it to the limit."'

And Whitmarsh believes it may well be time for limited in-season testing to be brought back to Formula 1.

"We had to take significant measures given the crisis involving the economy and Formula 1.

"I think now, as we can see signs of the economy improving, we can go back to testing. Formula 1 is about running cars, I think drivers enjoy testing and teams enjoy testing and developing cars," he said.

credit bbc/f1

Agron
30th June 2010, 09:38
A smokescreen. They bring up some old unimportant story to cover up a recent scandal.

Hermann
30th June 2010, 09:40
A smokescreen. They bring up some old unimportant story to cover up a recent scandal.

Well done. Its always nice to see some intelligence in a forum ;-)

Greig
30th June 2010, 09:43
Hardly old though is it :-)

Liscia
30th June 2010, 10:36
I'm quite sure what Ferrari did was within the rules AND with previous
advise to and consent from the FIA.

Nick Singer
30th June 2010, 11:22
You gotta LOVE McMowers - bleating about alleged cheating. They are the past masters....

MarlboroFA
30th June 2010, 12:52
Hardly old though is it :-)

It depends when Martin said this ...If it was before the Valencia Scandal happend then no it isn`t old....But if he said it after the Valencia scandal then yes.....Why comment on it know when Horner did it when it came out.....Martin is then only trying to differt the attention:-)

Hornet
30th June 2010, 13:09
Kind of ironic, coming from McLaren, the team of integrity:lol

I'd say let these guys do some proper testing, maybe even 4 or 5 test session per team could probably avoided all this stuff.

They are just making it more complicated than it should be. What are they going to do, have the FIA start sending dozens of official to each promo event and watch every corner of the circuit to ensure no one is hiding at a corner collecting data?:-P

crbassassin
30th June 2010, 17:02
that was posted on BBC Sports on Saturday, 26 June 2010, a day before the GP

REDARMYSOJA
30th June 2010, 17:17
that was posted on BBC Sports on Saturday, 26 June 2010, a day before the GP

The last bit, but the first part is older than that.

And I'd like to know exactly which rule Ferrari broke.

Rob
30th June 2010, 18:37
Didnt break any. As isaid in another thread, Renault ran their new exhaust lay out in the same week as we did, if not few days earlier as was at the World Series event at Magny Cuors. Perhaps RBR and Mclaren are so blinded with paranoia about us they are missing the bigger picture....another team aswell done what we did.

Tifoso
30th June 2010, 18:47
McLaren is right :lou

epiclyaddicted
30th June 2010, 19:42
Ok, so McLaren want Ferrari testing loophole closed.

How about we say: Ferrari want Lewis "I can do whatever I want and get away with it" loophole closed? :lou