PDA

View Full Version : 'You can never write-off Ferrari'

Ferrari_Fanatic
6th July 2010, 15:05
Mark Webber remains adamant that Ferrari could still challenge for the World Championship this season despite a below-par start.

The Italian team have endured a testing start to the season that has seen them claim only five podium finishes over nine races, with three of those achieved in the first two races. It was also in the season-opener in Bahrain that Fernando Alonso recorded what is to date the team's only win of the year.

The poor form sees Ferrari languishing in third spot on the Constructor's table with Fernando Alonso floundering in fifth position in the Driver's standings, 29 points behind Championship leader Lewis Hamilton. Ferrari number two Felipe Massa is in even worse shape, having collected only 67 points thus far.

Despite their poor run, Red Bull's Webber believes that the rest of the paddock would be foolish to write-off the team for the season.

"Ferrari, you can still never discount them," Webber told the BBC.

"They are a very, very strong team. Fernando is a very solid driver so those guys will be there week in, week out as well.

"It is a sensational battle. I am enjoying it, and there are many drivers that can win races. A lot of us are on a couple of victories each, and it would be nice to be the first driver to get on to three and four - and get a bit of momentum. It is a good fight," he added.

The Australian is himself looking to bounce-back after a poor run, having retired in spectacular fashion last time out in Valencia when his Red Bull was catapulted into the air after running into the back of Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus.

Webber is confident that he will be back challenging for top spot at Silverstone as the team continue to strive for every point on offer.

"Yeah, we are still pushing very hard to get every single point we can at every race," he explained.

"I had a rough weekend in Valencia, but the form has been good. Okay Canada we finished fifth but it was a very interesting GP for everyone.

"Turkey was another podium, so not a bad weekend at all. The signs are good to continue having good weekends and keep fighting."

credit pf1

Effone
6th July 2010, 15:56
Fishing for a Ferrari seat in the coming years is he?

:-D

Tifosi
6th July 2010, 18:00
He 'aint got any bait thought! ;-)

REDARMYSOJA
6th July 2010, 18:07
The poor form sees Ferrari languishing in third spot on the Constructor's table with Fernando Alonso floundering in fifth position in the Driver's standings, 29 points behind Championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

I like the way they put that, floundering. :roll

The way the points are awarded this year, he can catch and pass the others quickly. Granted we need the others to have some bad luck, but they all have the habit of shooting themselves in the foot.

ferrari4life
7th July 2010, 01:01

The way the points are awarded this year, he can catch and pass the others quickly. Granted we need the others to have some bad luck, but they all have the habit of shooting themselves in the foot.

yeah but so does alonso

vcs316
7th July 2010, 04:01

I don't care about others having bad luck. I care about our bad luck streak coming to an end!!!

Tifosi
7th July 2010, 07:28
I don't care about others having bad luck. I care about our bad luck streak coming to an end!!!

Yeah but unfortunately we get ourselves into situations where we need both to win the WCC/WDC and that's not good really. :-??

vcs316
7th July 2010, 08:34
Yeah but unfortunately we get ourselves into situations where we need both to win the WCC/WDC and that's not good really. :-??

I hope the full blown diffuser will be the answer. I kinda believe that Alonso & Ferrari are playing down their chances this weekend but we could actually be up there fighting for the win!!

Tifosi
7th July 2010, 09:53
I hope the full blown diffuser will be the answer. I kinda believe that Alonso & Ferrari are playing down their chances this weekend but we could actually be up there fighting for the win!!

I hope you're right mate. Valencia was very encouraging and Ferrari knew they would have been on it big time if not for the SC debacle. I'm quietly confident that we have progressed but it's getting to the critical point of the season now and we have to make ground. Hopefully we will :thumb

Rishu
7th July 2010, 10:32
I hope you're right mate. Valencia was very encouraging and Ferrari knew they would have been on it big time if not for the SC debacle. I'm quietly confident that we have progressed but it's getting to the critical point of the season now and we have to make ground. Hopefully we will :thumb

Amen

vcs316
7th July 2010, 11:12

Remember 2006? Up until halfway we were 25 points adrift of Alonso and from the Canadian GP we started to make ground and managed to draw even with 2 races to go !! If any team can make that kind of ground its Ferrari !!

Full confidence in our development plan and drivers. Its time we started overhauling the points :thumb

epiclyaddicted
7th July 2010, 11:31
Remember 2006? Up until halfway we were 25 points adrift of Alonso and from the Canadian GP we started to make ground and managed to draw even with 2 races to go !! If any team can make that kind of ground its Ferrari !!

Full confidence in our development plan and drivers. Its time we started overhauling the points :thumb

Yes, remember that very well. And it all came down to that catastrophic engine failure! :-(

vcs316
7th July 2010, 14:48
Way too early to write off Alonso - McLaren :-D

McLaren are not yet counting out the threat of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso in challenging for this year's championship, despite a number of below-par races for the double world champion. He has finished on the podium just once in the last four races and currently lies 29 points behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton, but McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale still considers the Spaniard to be a threat.

Asked if Alonso's recent demise meant the title race was going to be a straight fight between McLaren and Red Bull, Neale told the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Phone-In: “No I don't. And I don't think Fernando's dropped off the pace. Fernando is a great racer and a fierce competitor.

“He's smarting a bit from what happened at the weekend [in Valencia], but I have every reason to believe Ferrari will also be bringing a package to Silverstone and he'll be there or there abouts,” added Neale. “It's way too early to write off Fernando.”

Ferrari is bringing a couple of minor updates to their F10 racer for Silverstone, including a new front wing and a revised rear wing, but are not expecting to be as competitive as they were in Valencia a fortnight ago. At that race, Alonso looked set for a podium finish until an untimely safety car period dropped him from contention.

http://www.manipef1.com/news/articles/11231/