PDA

View Full Version : Full Blown Ferrari Diffuser Yet To Come

vcs316
7th July 2010, 03:55
Ferrari will only get its real blown rear diffuser up and running at a forthcoming Grand Prix.

It was believed that the Italian team began running the Red Bull-style low exhaust layout at Valencia.

But Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reveals that, in fact, the European GP was only the first phase in a multiple-step development for the F10 car.

The first step was a new gearbox, debuted only by Felipe Massa because Fernando Alonso was in the middle of the four-race mandatory period for his existing transmission.

The Spaniard will get the new gearbox at Silverstone, as well as a new rear suspension layout.

The real benefit of the new gearbox/suspension layout, however, is yet to come.

It is reported that the new layout allows a steeper shape of the diffuser, but the downforce advantage will only come when the exhaust fumes are directed through the diffuser.

Currently, Ferrari is working on ensuring that the blown exhaust does not actually compromise grip due to a sporadic airflow.

It is only at a later date that the entire concept will be up and running.

At Silverstone, the F10 will feature the new gearbox and new housing for the suspension. Ferrari is introducing the update in stages, so that when the final concept is ready, the team does not have to wait for Alonso and Massa to reach the end of their four-race gearbox phases to debut it.

"In Valencia, we introduced significant updates on the F10 and there will be more in Silverstone and the races after that," Alonso confirmed.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-full-blown-ferrari-diffuser-yet-to-come-in-formula-one/

Rishu
7th July 2010, 04:53
Sounds pretty good, wonder why Alonso is saying Silverstone won’t suit the F10 :Hmm

replica
7th July 2010, 05:05
Maybe is just a mind gaming :)

bkircher
7th July 2010, 07:59
I thought I read somewhere else that he said that it would suit the F10...

Grinsomx
7th July 2010, 08:19
i hope this can be seen as a warning bell that ferrari is raising it's game.
we have not seen all too many updates before vallencia (bar the copycat projects), time to really start pushing and show the world why ferrari is F1

nash929
7th July 2010, 08:34
we have not seen all too many updates before vallencia (bar the copycat projects), time to really start pushing and show the world why ferrari is F1

I certainly hope so too.

vcs316
7th July 2010, 08:39

fingers crossed :-)

Rishu
7th July 2010, 08:41
I thought I read somewhere else that he said that it would suit the F10...

Alonso: It’s going to be difficult for us

The Spaniard appears to be in doubt regarding the performance of the Ferrari F10 at the British Grand Prix this weekend and thinks that the car is not suited for the high speed sections at Silverstone.

The circuit was recently modified for this year’s race which includes the new Arena section in sector three. However, the organisers have retained the fast sweeping sections in the first and the second sectors.

“The track seems reasonably similar to the way it was, with a lot of very fast corners, which will not suit us that much”, mentioned Alonso in his Ferrari blog. However, he remains optimistic especially after Valencia where the car seemed to handle the fast corners pretty well.

Another factor that could spoil the party for the Maranello outfit this weekend is the weather. Silverstone is known for its unpredictable climatic conditions and expecting a dry race weekend could backfire.

According to reports, the Spaniard is preparing himself for the busy schedule ahead and is of the opinion that with three races in a span of four weeks, it could prove to be a test of character. However, he is not concerned about that and appears to be confident, technically and physically.

Ferrari launched a host of important updates for Valencia and is believed to bring some more for Silverstone, based on an intensive development programme which they hope will produce the desired results.

Alonso is currently fifth in the championship battle with 98 points, trailing his former McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton by 29. The Ferrari driver thinks that the next few races are very crucial for him in his quest for his third world championship.

http://ndtv.f1pulse.com/news/alonso_its_going_to_be_difficult_for_us/news-2010-july-news_20100707_10/news_article.aspx

crewskas
7th July 2010, 09:23
Alonso is realistic...
We can't be sure, but yes these type of circuits (with long corners), suit Red Bull a lot and not us...
Generally the cars with the most downforce...

Ferrari_Fanatic
7th July 2010, 09:53
ahh wicked so still room for futher improvements

bladeswing
7th July 2010, 10:01
Hi guys. Found this bit of info... is this true? If so, how does our development compare to that of RB? Obviously they've had the upperhand since the start of the season, but im hoping we can out perform them bigtime in the second half.

Secret of Red Bull's qualifying speed revealed? E-mail

Jul.7 (GMM) A secret of Red Bull's superior pace in the decisive Q3 phase of qualifying may have been revealed.

Autosprint's auto.it website reports that the team has a special electronic setting for the Renault engine that maintains a constant exhaust gas pressure.

When the setting is selected, the stream of gases flow constantly from the exhaust through the double diffuser, even when the driver of the RB6 is not pressing the throttle.

This would increase downforce at slow speeds.

The setting, revealed initially on the blog of the British journalist James Allen, is reportedly used sparingly - for example only in Q3 - because it is damaging to the engine.

The RB6 has been on pole position at 8 of the 9 grands prix so far this season.

http://f1complete.com/2010-news/17495?task=view

Ferrari_Fanatic
7th July 2010, 10:17
Hi guys. Found this bit of info... is this true? If so, how does our development compare to that of RB? Obviously they've had the upperhand since the start of the season, but im hoping we can out perform them bigtime in the second half.

Jul.7 (GMM) A secret of Red Bull's superior pace in the decisive Q3 phase of qualifying may have been revealed.

Autosprint's auto.it website reports that the team has a special electronic setting for the Renault engine that maintains a constant exhaust gas pressure.

When the setting is selected, the stream of gases flow constantly from the exhaust through the double diffuser, even when the driver of the RB6 is not pressing the throttle.

The setting, revealed initially on the blog of the British journalist James Allen, is reportedly used sparingly - for example only in Q3 - because it is damaging to the engine.

thanks for that

epiclyaddicted
7th July 2010, 11:29

Hmm, not sure how authentic that info is. Because Red Bull's main advantage so far this season has been the high speed corners. :Hmm

FerrariF60
7th July 2010, 11:52
Hmm, not sure how authentic that info is. Because Red Bull's main advantage so far this season has been the high speed corners. :Hmm

that is also true, but they even got POLE on tracks where downforce was not that critical, and by a FAIRLY good margin gap to the 2nd and 3rd position grid.
so for all we know this may actually be true.

i'm only saying this because in race pace they seem to have the same pace as McCheaters or even US.

i'm only speculating, and hope that is NOT true and that with the upcoming trail of upgrades we're going to have over the next 3 races be able to close the gap on them, surpass them in terms of performance and in the second half of the season have the UPPER hand and take both WDC and WDC from the RIVALS.

raylinds
7th July 2010, 13:08

This is a little hard to believe, but who knows.

Agron
7th July 2010, 13:35
Well, good news for Ferrari, if something that is just a first version is working pretty good. Let's hope we still have a chance at the WDC and with a bit of luck, also the WCC.

Regarding the RB, I don't know if what that article says is true, but its quite beliveable considering the main RB advantage is in qualifying, exactly only during Q3 as they don't seem to go all out at all during the race or any other qualifying session. (Although the fact that they are so extremely low in Qualifying to the point of touching the ground repeteadly is something to consider too)

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 00:30
Well, good news for Ferrari, if something that is just a first version is working pretty good. Let's hope we still have a chance at the WDC and with a bit of luck, also the WCC.

Regarding the RB, I don't know if what that article says is true, but its quite beliveable considering the main RB advantage is in qualifying, exactly only during Q3 as they don't seem to go all out at all during the race or any other qualifying session. (Although the fact that they are so extremely low in Qualifying to the point of touching the ground repeteadly is something to consider too)

yes, my thoughts too.

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 00:32
but regardless of whatever mechanism they are using in Q3, i cant help but suspect that there's something in Q3 that the RBs use to a certain advantage.

Brakefade
8th July 2010, 03:44
We need some spies to infiltrate RB.

XXX132
8th July 2010, 04:41
Yeah, where's Stepney when you need him...:lol

This may explain some of the engine probs suffered by the RBs.. but it's probably a combination of several things.

Ferrari are supposedly bringing new front and rear wings for Silverstone? Can anyone confirm? They will presumably increase the effectiveness of the blown diffuser with any luck.

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 04:49
Yeah, where's Stepney when you need him...:lol

This may explain some of the engine probs suffered by the RBs.. but it's probably a combination of several things.

Ferrari are supposedly bringing new front and rear wings for Silverstone? Can anyone confirm? They will presumably increase the effectiveness of the blown diffuser with any luck.

Ferrari to sport a new front wing
By Jay
July 7 2010
Ferrari would be sporting more upgrades at the Silverstone GP this weekend.

Ferrari.com reports that the Maranello based team would be sporting a new front wing on it's F10 challenger along with rear suspension and updated rear wing at the British GP.

It also reports that Ferrari relishes a win at the GP which is home to majority of the F1 teams, based in UK. In the past, it says, when testing was a weekly occurence, home team benefited from familiarity of the tracks, while now that advantage is no longer there, and moreoever the updated track poses a new challenge to home teams like McLaren.

It said, the current phase of the development programme on the F10, which began in Valencia, continues in England, and along with the new front wing and updated rear wing, further modifications will be seen in Hockenheim and Budapest.

Ferrari would be hoping to cash on with all the new developments, as it had lost valuable points in the last two GPs.

Fernando Alonso, in his blog, had sounded optimistic of his team's chances and said that he and his team are monitoring closely on the changes made to the new track.

"It’s a fact that the configuration of the F10 seen in Valencia should give us a boost in these quick corners, so it is best to wait and see where we will be. I remain optimistic."

"On Thursday morning, again with my engineers, we will inspect the track to see everything in detail, looking especially for bumps on the racing line," added the Spaniard.

http://www.f1network.net/main/forza-ferrari/s696/st160205/ferrari-to-sport-a-new-front-wing

vcs316
8th July 2010, 06:20
Rivals 'overestimate' blown diffuser concept - Horner

Tuesday 6 July at 10:01 : Jul.6 (GMM) Christian Horner has warned Red Bull's rivals that the exhaust system of the RB6 car is not a silver bullet.

At Valencia nearly two weeks ago, Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault got so-called 'blown rear diffusers' up and running on their cars.

And this weekend at Silverstone, the concept is part of McLaren's latest upgrade, with some estimating the laptime benefit at half a second or more.

But Red Bull team boss Horner has moved to play down those predictions.

"Our rivals overestimate the benefits of the blown diffuser," he is quoted as saying by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"It's only about two or three tenths," added the Briton.

The team's German driver Sebastian Vettel agrees.

"It gives us a bit, but only together with the whole package, and that includes our rear suspension. That can't be copied during the season," he said.

The Auto Plus column of French commentator Jean-Louis Moncet reports that, as well as the blown diffuser, McLaren's Silverstone upgrade includes new cooling, suspension and dampers.

Ferrari, on the other hand, is not expecting the fast Silverstone layout to suit the F10, even though the new Arena section features some new slow corners.

"The track seems reasonably similar to the way it was, with a lot of very fast corners, which will not suit us that much," said Fernando Alonso.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dailyf1news/nieuw/article/11668-Rivals+%27overestimate%27+blown+diffuser+concept+-+Horner.html

Brakefade
8th July 2010, 08:17
Rivals 'overestimate' blown diffuser concept - Horner

Tuesday 6 July at 10:01 : Jul.6 (GMM) Christian Horner has warned Red Bull's rivals that the exhaust system of the RB6 car is not a silver bullet.

At Valencia nearly two weeks ago, Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault got so-called 'blown rear diffusers' up and running on their cars.

And this weekend at Silverstone, the concept is part of McLaren's latest upgrade, with some estimating the laptime benefit at half a second or more.

But Red Bull team boss Horner has moved to play down those predictions.

"Our rivals overestimate the benefits of the blown diffuser," he is quoted as saying by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"It's only about two or three tenths," added the Briton.

The team's German driver Sebastian Vettel agrees.

"It gives us a bit, but only together with the whole package, and that includes our rear suspension. That can't be copied during the season," he said.

The Auto Plus column of French commentator Jean-Louis Moncet reports that, as well as the blown diffuser, McLaren's Silverstone upgrade includes new cooling, suspension and dampers.

Ferrari, on the other hand, is not expecting the fast Silverstone layout to suit the F10, even though the new Arena section features some new slow corners.

"The track seems reasonably similar to the way it was, with a lot of very fast corners, which will not suit us that much," said Fernando Alonso.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dailyf1news/nieuw/article/11668-Rivals+%27overestimate%27+blown+diffuser+concept+-+Horner.html

It's officially opposite day!!!!

I hope Ferrari DNFs, and a 1-2-3-4 for RB and Mclaren. ;-)

Stormsearcher
8th July 2010, 08:39
We need some spies to infiltrate RB.

i voluenteer to do this. Am a complete outsider so no blame will go on ferrari if am caught. Infact i think i will wear a McLaren t-shirt during the reconnaissance mission.
Just buy me a ticket to the next GP...:-D :-D i will make sure i will figure out what they are doing.

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 09:24
anybody have an idea how the revised rear wing looks like? im assuming the revisions are meant to make the fduct more efficient?