PDA

View Full Version : Kubica commits to Renault until end of 2012

Rishu
7th July 2010, 12:34
Renault announced on Wednesday that Robert Kubica has agreed a contract extension which will keep him with the team for at least another two seasons, ending speculation of a move to Ferrari or Mercedes. The 25-year-old Pole has enjoyed an impressive first half of 2010, scoring podium finishes in Australia and Monaco, and he currently lies sixth in the world drivers’ championship.

“It was a straightforward decision for me to continue with a team where I feel at home,” said Kubica, who joined Renault from BMW Sauber at the end of last year. “What’s important for me is to be in the right atmosphere, with a good group of people, where everybody is pulling in the same direction. This is what we have tried to build from the beginning of my time with Renault.

“I think we have already achieved a lot together, and I believe that with plenty of effort, time and the right approach, we can move even further forward. That is certainly our target, so we will keep working hard and pushing on every front, not just for the rest of this season but also for next year when there are more big rule changes on the way. I am really looking forward to the challenge.”

According to Renault, it was the team’s commitment to becoming title contenders again, coupled with their strong rate of technical development in the first half of 2010, that convinced Kubica - a man tipped by many as a future champion - to stay.

“We are delighted that Robert will remain with us for the next two seasons and I would like to thank him for the faith he has shown in this team,” commented team principal Eric Boullier. “There have been many rumours surrounding his future in recent weeks, which were a tribute to how well he has driven this year, and we are very happy to have agreed a multi-year deal.

“Our clear goal is to become title contenders over the next two years. To do so, we need a driver of Robert’s calibre: somebody who is fast, totally committed and doesn’t make mistakes. His performances during the first half of the 2010 season were flawless, and we hope to achieve great things together in the future.”

Renault are currently fifth in the constructors' championship standings on 89 points, 20 points behind fourth-placed rivals Mercedes.

Rishu
7th July 2010, 12:36
So it means MS to stay at Merc?:-)

Tifosi
7th July 2010, 14:07
and there was me thinking that speculation of him joining Ferrari ended when we already knew we had 2 drivers newly contracted to the end of 2012! :Hmm

Pekka
8th July 2010, 18:17
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85071

Kubica would welcome Raikkonen

By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer Thursday, July 8th 2010, 15:09 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen and Robert KubicaRobert Kubica says he would welcome Kimi Raikkonen as a team-mate at Renault next year if the squad lures the 2007 world champion back from rallying to Formula 1.

Raikkonen has been linked with a return to F1 with Renault in 2011 after a one-year absence, with the Anglo-French squad now the most competitive team with a vacant seat should the Finn decide to end his World Rally Championship project at the end of the season.

Kubica - who recently announced a contract extension with Renault through to the end of 2012 - emphasised that he did not know whether Raikkonen was likely to be his team-mate or not, but liked the idea of pairing up with the former champion.

"As I always say, I have no problems with my team-mates," said Kubica. "If Kimi will join us it will be very good. I think he is a great and talented driver.

"It might be very, very good driver line-up with him, but I don't know what the future will bring us and who will be my team-mate next year. I think it's too early to say."

GP2 graduate Vitaly Petrov currently occupies Renault's second car, with the Russian's inexperience making Kubica a clear number one within the team. But the Pole said he would have no qualms about sharing top billing in the line-up with a driver like Raikkonen - and believes that would be a better scenario for Renault than his current superiority.

"It's much better, especially in the current days, to have two good drivers in the team - both drivers can help the team and help each other," said Kubica.

"Without testing there is very limited time running. If you have someone you can rely on for information, data and feedback it is much easier for myself. Of course I think there is no downside to having two strong drivers in the team."

Kubica also underlined that his decision to re-sign for Renault was based on his belief in the team's prospects rather than because other options had been closed off. He had been linked with a Ferrari switch before Felipe Massa secured a new deal, and recent rumours also suggested a possible Mercedes move.

"It's quite simple that if I decide to stay at Renault it's because I believe in what I see and what my feelings are," he said.

"I'm not deciding to stay in Renault for two years because then in three years' time someone will leave another team. I'm not thinking about it. I've decided to stay here and I believe we can be competitive in the future, and I'm looking forward to continuing working with Renault."

Agron
8th July 2010, 18:35
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85071

Kubica would welcome Raikkonen

By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer Thursday, July 8th 2010, 15:09 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen and Robert KubicaRobert Kubica says he would welcome Kimi Raikkonen as a team-mate at Renault next year if the squad lures the 2007 world champion back from rallying to Formula 1.

Raikkonen has been linked with a return to F1 with Renault in 2011 after a one-year absence, with the Anglo-French squad now the most competitive team with a vacant seat should the Finn decide to end his World Rally Championship project at the end of the season.

Kubica - who recently announced a contract extension with Renault through to the end of 2012 - emphasised that he did not know whether Raikkonen was likely to be his team-mate or not, but liked the idea of pairing up with the former champion.

"As I always say, I have no problems with my team-mates," said Kubica. "If Kimi will join us it will be very good. I think he is a great and talented driver.

"It might be very, very good driver line-up with him, but I don't know what the future will bring us and who will be my team-mate next year. I think it's too early to say."

GP2 graduate Vitaly Petrov currently occupies Renault's second car, with the Russian's inexperience making Kubica a clear number one within the team. But the Pole said he would have no qualms about sharing top billing in the line-up with a driver like Raikkonen - and believes that would be a better scenario for Renault than his current superiority.

"It's much better, especially in the current days, to have two good drivers in the team - both drivers can help the team and help each other," said Kubica.

"Without testing there is very limited time running. If you have someone you can rely on for information, data and feedback it is much easier for myself. Of course I think there is no downside to having two strong drivers in the team."

Kubica also underlined that his decision to re-sign for Renault was based on his belief in the team's prospects rather than because other options had been closed off. He had been linked with a Ferrari switch before Felipe Massa secured a new deal, and recent rumours also suggested a possible Mercedes move.

"It's quite simple that if I decide to stay at Renault it's because I believe in what I see and what my feelings are," he said.

"I'm not deciding to stay in Renault for two years because then in three years' time someone will leave another team. I'm not thinking about it. I've decided to stay here and I believe we can be competitive in the future, and I'm looking forward to continuing working with Renault."Hopefully he will join them. If only to appease the Kimi fanboys XDD
Nah, it would be nice having another WDC back, in particular a likeable driver as Kimi, but I doubt he will accept Renault if he said no to McLaren and Mercedes.

Tifoso
8th July 2010, 18:44
Just in time to replace one of our boys :-)

Tifosi
8th July 2010, 19:16
Hopefully he will join them. If only to appease the Kimi fanboys XDD
Nah, it would be nice having another WDC back, in particular a likeable driver as Kimi, but I doubt he will accept Renault if he said no to McLaren and Mercedes.

His currency has dropped after a year out though. He wouldn't get Macca now anyways. Depends if he's as sick of F1 as he said he was when he left. :-)