PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Red Bull’s qualifying uncovered?

itsme_marky
8th July 2010, 00:39
Jul.7 (GMM) A secret of Red Bull’s superior pace in the decisive Q3 phase of qualifying may have been revealed.

Autosprint’s auto.it website reports that the team has a special electronic setting for the Renault engine that maintains a constant exhaust gas pressure.

When the setting is selected, the stream of gases flow constantly from the exhaust through the double diffuser, even when the driver of the RB6 is not pressing the throttle.

This would increase downforce at slow speeds.

The setting, revealed initially on the blog of the British journalist James Allen, is reportedly used sparingly – for example only in Q3 – because it is damaging to the engine.

The RB6 has been on pole position at 8 of the 9 grands prix so far this season.

http://www.yallaf1.com/2010/07/07/secret-of-red-bulls-qualifying-uncovered/

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 00:48
posted already:-)

http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/showthread.php/27088-Full-Blown-Ferrari-Diffuser-Yet-To-Come

Brakefade
8th July 2010, 03:35
No this is different. The other post talks about how Ferrari exhaust isn't being blown through the DD, while RBs is. I doubt this story is true, because the only way, that I know of, to increase exhaust pressure is to increase the revs, and to do that other areas have to be sacrificed. For example, engine braking.

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 04:40
No this is different. The other post talks about how Ferrari exhaust isn't being blown through the DD, while RBs is. I doubt this story is true, because the only way, that I know of, to increase exhaust pressure is to increase the revs, and to do that other areas have to be sacrificed. For example, engine braking.

I mean i posted the same article in the other thread already. :-)

racingbradley
8th July 2010, 08:32
Well if the article is fact I wonder how long it would take us to copy it.;-);-)

bladeswing
8th July 2010, 09:36
Well if the article is fact I wonder how long it would take us to copy it.;-);-)

i was afraid somebody would say that :lol but honestly, i was hoping ferrari would think of their own innovation that would really send them to the front of the grid, and not have to copy from somebody else

kazi
8th July 2010, 14:31
I'm sorry but won't the Standard ECU make this impossible?

MarlboroFA
9th July 2010, 19:07
I'm sorry but won't the Standard ECU make this impossible?

Nope, they can trick it...but I doubt this is true....They would have noticed it allready, if the exhaust are constantly blowing it means a different engine sound so.....

kazi
9th July 2010, 22:32
Nope, they can trick it...but I doubt this is true....They would have noticed it allready, if the exhaust are constantly blowing it means a different engine sound so.....

Source?

Tommy_F
10th July 2010, 05:41
Details of the system: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/red-bull-map-q-the-secret-to-the-teams-q3-pace/

zeus2
10th July 2010, 10:39
wouldn't that mean that red bull would have to cary a little more fuel than normal cause they'd be burning more fuel per lap with this system, after all this if they are still the ones with the lightest cars in quali 3 than that renault engine must be one hell of a fuel efficient engine.

MarlboroFA
10th July 2010, 10:47
Source?

No source...just my toughts....and logical thinking...If you press the throtlle the engine gets more fuel, well they only have to let it think you are pressing the throttle...
The standard ecu is the less of the problems....

kazi
10th July 2010, 16:57
No source...just my toughts....and logical thinking...If you press the throtlle the engine gets more fuel, well they only have to let it think you are pressing the throttle...
The standard ecu is the less of the problems....
And run it on the clutch?

I just read Scarbs F1 blog and his explaining made sense, it's nothing new at all. I just never heard of that system being used without big turbos as that's the main reason to use them.
This also explains the few times i've seen fire through the exhaust of the Red Bull, which is a common symptom of the system.

delsando
14th July 2010, 06:52
Wiiliams seem to have copied the effect the best out of the others, reason also why Barichello was performing significantly better then previous races. Hope Ferrari are able to figure out asap

FFFerrari
14th July 2010, 09:52
There isn't much to figure, the problem is that you have to have the fuel capacity to be able to run like that and if your tank isn't designed to hold extra load you pretty much can't use it.

NJB13
14th July 2010, 12:32
There isn't much to figure, the problem is that you have to have the fuel capacity to be able to run like that and if your tank isn't designed to hold extra load you pretty much can't use it.

This isn't used during the race, only in qualifying, and probably only in Q3. The reason for this is you pay a price in terms of engine damage. In other words, you can use it for a few laps - but that's all.