PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone GP Weekend Review

Ste
13th July 2010, 11:41
Since I've started writing these reviews after a race, I thought I'd do another, despite being at Silverstone for the race.

Before the weekend

Coming up to this weekend, I think the team were pretty optimistic. We took our new, Red Bull style exhaust system and diffuser to Valencia and our pace was very close to theirs. It turns out however, that it isn't the finished product. Further changes to the system were ready for Silverstone - slightly different positioning of the exhaust and various other small changes, as well as a new front wing, quite different from the previous one. Due to various events in Valencia, we ended up not having a chance to fight for victory, but at least we knew our pace was good and that we could challenge the Red Bulls.

So, with further updates I think we expected to be right up there, challenging for the win.

On Practice

In practice one we were testing the car with and without the F-Duct. I'm unsure of the reasoning behind this. I would have thought Silverstone was one of the tracks where it was vital with it having two very long straights. We ended up quite low down, but it was obvious we weren't showing our true pace.

I was watching Practice from a couple of different places and it was clear to see the Red Bull was extremely fast. The grip through Maggots and Beckets was just mind-blowing and out of Luffield they were on the power about 10m before anyone else.

Still, Alonso and Massa looked quick. This season I've come to realise that if Massa is quick, then we will be on the pace. Usually Alonso has 4 or 5 tenths over Massa.

Qualifying

To sum up Qualifying, Red Bull were utterly phenominal, Button failed badly, Alonso was brilliant and Massa was poor.

In Q2, Red Bull had a few tenths over Alonso, but nothing too big, Massa was only a few hundredths behind Alonso and so was Hamilton.

Both Ferrari's were first out in Q3 (finally we decide not to sit in the garage for half the session!), Alonso put in a stunning lap, improving by 3 tenths over his Q2 time. All was pretty rosy until Webber came out and went 7 tenths quicker, followed by Vettel who went quicker still. Alonso improved slightly on another lap but the Red Bulls were on a totally different planet. Alonso definitely got the most out of the car, not able to improve much on further runs showed us that. Massa, who held onto Alonso in Q2 was nowhere, way down in P7. Couldn't believe where his pace had gone. Still, P3 on the grid was a good result.

Our starts have been usually good, so I was optimistic of taking Webber down Hangar straight or even before.

Red Bulls secret system

I read an article saying Red Bull have managed to be so quick in Qualifying due to them supplying the diffuser with a constant air flow from the exhausts - even if the throttle isn't being applied. Essentially, this would give them far more downforce than the others in the slower corners. If this is true, then thats an incredibly intuitive system. How that works with the Standard ECU I don't know, but it might go some way to explaining those 8 or 9 tenths they have over everyone else. They certainly don't show that kind of pace in practice - which leads me to believe this system is certainly in place.

The Race

I was surprised when Alonso bogged down off the line, blaming his poor start on the clutch (as did Vettel). Hamilton got past, as did Rosberg and Kubica. Vettel got tagged by Hamilton and ended up with a puncture. I wonder when Vettel will get some good luck!

There was contact going through Maggots/Beckets with our two drivers. Alonso was forced slightly wide but Massa was amazingly optimistic, braking far too late and diving up the inside of Alonso, and making pretty heavy contact. This caused a puncture for Massa who ended up last apart from Vettel. That cost Massa any chance of a good race.

Webber and Hamilton went off into the distance, while Alonso was held up behind Kubica and Rosberg.

Schumacher pitted early from P7 (I think) to try and get past the cars infront. I was surprised to see him doing PB's on his in and outlaps - thats the Schumacher we know - but then he ran wide out of the arena section and cost himself a certain extra position. Ended up losing further positions and was stuck behind Kobayashi.

Alonso was then battling with Kubica, got a great run through Stowe, pulled to the right, out-braked him and went around the outside into Vale. Kubica ran him out of road and Alonso had to take to the run-off. He didn't give the position back.

Initially, I sat in my seat and said to Hayley he should give it back, but then watching the replay, he was already ahead going in and had no choice but to use the run-off otherwise there would have been contact between him and Kubica. It's always safer to give the place back, but Alonso wouldn't have been thinking that. Alonso then pulled a very large gap in the following couple of laps. The call came for Alonso to give the position back, but by that time Kubica had retired. Even if Alonso had given it back immediately, he would have been ahead 2 laps later, so a penalty was surely out of the question. Alonso got the penalty though, avoided the pits for one lap and then the Safety Car came out. Unable to serve the penalty during the SC, Alonso pitted straight after and was then at the back of the pack.

Webber was brilliant upfront. Faultless all race and he thoroughly deserved the win. Hamilton did a good job in P2, even though I hate to say it. Button was excellent, as was Rosberg.

Massa had a ridiculous moment out of Luffield, mounting the curb and half spinning, nearly into the pit wall, had to pit for tyres with the team obviously not ready, putting him to the back. Alonso then got a puncture from contact with a Force India, putting him further back still. P14 and P15. What a ridiculous race!

The Penalty

Once again the FIA and Stewards make a shocking call. They took 20 laps or so to make a decision in Valencia and they did it again at Silverstone on Sunday. How can it possibly take so long to make a call as easy as that. Either you give the penalty or you don't, pretty obvious really. Then they decide to make the call 1 lap before the SC comes out. I'm sure there is no co-incidence there but it just shows what shocking luck we have. Everything appears to be conspiring against us at the moment. Nigel and co really need to get their acts together!

Massa

Another poor weekend for Felipe. I'm a big Massa fan, but I'm starting to believe that he's not got what we need. There are two scenarios I can think of. One is that in '08 and '09 he out-shone Kimi, driving brilliantly and was our best driver. The second is that Kimi was actually so poor that he made Massa look that way when really the car could be driven quicker. This year, there are also two scenarios. Either Massa isn't at the top of his game, or Alonso is just driving the pants off the car. I think the both of those points are true. Alonso is surely driving the wheels off the car, but Massa isn't driving well. Either that or he's under so much pressure from Fernando being quick that he's started driving erratically again.

While we have Fernando able to challenge at the front, Massa always seems to be down in P6 or something. I was monitoring the gap to the cars around both of our drivers. Alonso was always hounding the car infront, trying to move forward, attempting overtakes, while Felipe was unable to even get close enough for a look - and then he made the error and nearly put the car in a wall. I really don't want Massa to be replaced, but he's signed a new contact and I don't think Ferrari will put up with him being half a second or more behind Fernando at every race. We need to be picking up as many points as possible for the Constructors. We have Fernando with so much bad luck its un-real, he's been denied 2 further wins this season and a shot at P2/P3 in another 3 races. Then we have Felipe who simply seems to put himself further down for whatever reason.

Massa on Alonso

I was also surprised with the comments from Felipe after the race. Talking about the contact with Alonso that caused his puncture, he seemed to imply it was Alonso's fault. How he gets that idea I don't know, it was a poor move that could have put both cars out of the race and it was only Massa's doing. I think he was probably just frustrated with another poor result.

Alonso's Incredible Optimism

I read the comments from Alonso late last night and also his radio transcripts this morning and thought they were fantastic. "We will still win the titles". That really sums up Fernando's attitude. He knows the car is capable of winning, he knows he's on the top of his game, we just need this bad luck to be behind us and we can catch up, overtake and win the titles.

Can we still win?

Of course! We're only just over halfway through the season, fourty-odd points down on Hamilton (nearly 2 races of full points) but there is a long way to go. Just think, if we hadn't have had this bad luck we'd probably be sitting pretty at the top of the championship.

Bahrain - Win
Australia - Contact with Button, to the back of the field, still P4 at a track where you 'can't overtake'. Certain P2 or win.
Malaysia - Had no clutch for the entire race, utterly incredible drive. Fought right through the field, overtook Button and was in for a great result. Then his engine expired due to him having to change gear using the engine rather than the clutch. That was probably another certainly P2 or win.
China - Jump start. Penalty. Still P4. Certain P2 or win.
Spain - P2
Monaco - P6, despite starting from the back of the grid, at a track where it is nigh on impossible to overtake. Was 100% on for the win that weekend.
Turkey - P8
Montreal - P3. But a certain victory robbed from him because of awful backmarkers. Definite, and comfortable win here.
Valencia - P8. Fighting for victory, quickest man on track. SC comes out, Hamilton cheats, Alonso way down. Would have fought for victory here.
Britain - P14. Webber was pretty un-touchable. But, P3 was up for grabs after the poor start.

So, lets not say he would definitely have won the races where we think he would have. Lets say he would have taken P2 in Australia, P2 in Malaysia, P2 in China, P1 in Monaco, P1 in Montreal, P1 in Valencia and P3 in Britain.

That is another 83 points. Add that to Fernando's current points tally and you have him on 181 points, ahead of Hamilton in P2 on 145. Then include taking away points to those who would have finished lower down. This really shows how far Fernando should be ahead.

Obviously this is pretty un-realistic, but it definitely gives an insight into what the championship should look like. I think we could and certainly should have an additional 50 points to what we are currently on - realistically.

The fans at Silverstone

Mostly McLaren, Hamilton and Button fans but most were very good sports. I love the banter you can take and also dish out at a race weekend. Putting a Ferrari cap on a McLaren fan was a particular highlight, as well as draping a Ferrari flag over a group of them. All took it well, nobody annoyed, all good fun.

:-D

Wheeler
13th July 2010, 12:12
great review :clap, it really got me pumped up for the next race

Sianellen
13th July 2010, 12:17
cool review

Bahrain - Win
Australia - Contact with Button, to the back of the field, still P4 at a track where you 'can't overtake'. Certain P2 or win.
Malaysia - Had no clutch for the entire race, utterly incredible drive. Fought right through the field, overtook Button and was in for a great result. Then his engine expired due to him having to change gear using the engine rather than the clutch. That was probably another certainly P2 or win.
China - Jump start. Penalty. Still P4. Certain P2 or win.
Spain - P2
Monaco - P6, despite starting from the back of the grid, at a track where it is nigh on impossible to overtake. Was 100% on for the win that weekend.
Turkey - P8
Montreal - P3. But a certain victory robbed from him because of awful backmarkers. Definite, and comfortable win here.
Valencia - P8. Fighting for victory, quickest man on track. SC comes out, Hamilton cheats, Alonso way down. Would have fought for victory here.
Britain - P14. Webber was pretty un-touchable. But, P3 was up for grabs after the poor start.

So, lets not say he would definitely have won the races where we think he would have. Lets say he would have taken P2 in Australia, P2 in Malaysia, P2 in China, P1 in Monaco, P1 in Montreal, P1 in Valencia and P3 in Britain.

That is another 83 points. Add that to Fernando's current points tally and you have him on 181 points, ahead of Hamilton in P2 on 145. Then include taking away points to those who would have finished lower down. This really shows how far Fernando should be ahead.

Obviously this is pretty un-realistic, but it definitely gives an insight into what the championship could look like. I think we could ______________ have an additional 50 points to what we are currently on - realistically.

We can't erase our mistakes or say that things should be like something, because fact is we made those errors just as other teams and drivers have made errors this season. Fernando has made mistakes, Felipe has and the Team has, no-one in our team has been perfect this season. What has to be done now is to react to the situation we find ourselves in and sort things out instead of saying we should fire him or that its this persons fault and blaming other things for our performance, because thats not the way to move forward so looking back at what might have been isn't going to help.

Tifosi
13th July 2010, 12:36
Interesting read Ste. :-)

I think Ferrari should have ordered Fernando to yield immediately. Anything else was far too points risky. It's now emerging that we were dumber than I thought however....

Autosport

Although the penalty was given nine laps after Alonso passed Kubica, Whiting said Ferrari was advised to let Kubica through immediately, but that the team decided against it.

I also think Massa's optimism was that Alonso would see him in time. Massa managed it in the pit-lane in China ;-) , Fernando was too busy panicing I think to return the favour.

Massa is definitely in the background atm unfortunately but he's trying very hard and he deserves our support for that very reason.

If Fernando calms down a bit, he could do it - with the team - but we are making too many unforced errors atm - as a team. :-??

Ste
13th July 2010, 13:18
cool review

We can't erase our mistakes or say that things should be like something, because fact is we made those errors just as other teams and drivers have made errors this season. Fernando has made mistakes, Felipe has and the Team has, no-one in our team has been perfect this season. What has to be done now is to react to the situation we find ourselves in and sort things out instead of saying we should fire him or that its this persons fault and blaming other things for our performance, because thats not the way to move forward so looking back at what might have been isn't going to help.

I can say things should be like something, because they certainly should be different to how they are. You're correct in saying we can't erase mistakes, but a lot of the time the problems we've had have been out of our hands. Australia, Malaysia, Montreal, Valencia were all problems out of our hands. Just Monaco and China were our fault. There isn't really a situation to react to, we just have to continue doing what we are doing and hope this awful luck buggers off.

Also, I never suggested firing someone! That move at Beckets was definitely Massa's fault though, even if there's no point in putting blame on one driver. The review isn't intended to help, just to show what it could and probably should be like!

Ste
13th July 2010, 13:23
Interesting read Ste. :-)

I think Ferrari should have ordered Fernando to yield immediately. Anything else was far too points risky. It's now emerging that we were dumber than I thought however....

Autosport

I also think Massa's optimism was that Alonso would see him in time. Massa managed it in the pit-lane in China ;-) , Fernando was too busy panicing I think to return the favour.

Massa is definitely in the background atm unfortunately but he's trying very hard and he deserves our support for that very reason.

If Fernando calms down a bit, he could do it - with the team - but we are making too many unforced errors atm - as a team. :-??

Kind of agree! :-D

I don't think the incident in Maggots/Beckets was at all like the pit manoeuvre in China. Alonso was already alongside, on a straight, Massa would have had no issues seeing him there. But diving up the inside when you are so far back in that complex was pretty silly, Alonso would never have expected that to happen. This isn't me backing either driver by the way, just trying to look at it realistically.

I'm still supporting Massa, of course. I want us all to do well as a team, whoever wins I don't care. Massa is definitely trying hard, maybe sometimes too hard. His driving this season hasn't been at all like that of '08 and '09.

Really, I don't think the team are making errors - although that autosport quote is somewhat annoying. As I said to Sian above, a lot of problems have been out of our hands.

Rob
13th July 2010, 18:58
Good review mate.

Reckon reason why testing the cars with and without "f-duct" is that this is the first true track where we could possibly benefit from it with the blown diffuser. Valencia hasnt the straights to fully exploit the systems working together. Plus as the exhaust outlets had been re-shaped it was more data to collect and go over all results with and without "f-duct".

Think Felipe is really struggling with the tyres. He has the confidence to attack and drive hard and aggressive. The rear on his car seems very twitchy. May be the new front tyre has hurt his driving style alot. Agree with you, the Autosport report is tad annoying. As i said in another thread, our car is strong, we need the luck on our side. We have to nail qualie aswell to get up there for the race. Our race pace is near on RB levels.

Hockenheim we will be near top, but Hungoring i reckon we will shine. That track will suit us.

Ste
13th July 2010, 23:42
Good review mate.

Reckon reason why testing the cars with and without "f-duct" is that this is the first true track where we could possibly benefit from it with the blown diffuser. Valencia hasnt the straights to fully exploit the systems working together. Plus as the exhaust outlets had been re-shaped it was more data to collect and go over all results with and without "f-duct".

Think Felipe is really struggling with the tyres. He has the confidence to attack and drive hard and aggressive. The rear on his car seems very twitchy. May be the new front tyre has hurt his driving style alot. Agree with you, the Autosport report is tad annoying. As i said in another thread, our car is strong, we need the luck on our side. We have to nail qualie aswell to get up there for the race. Our race pace is near on RB levels.

Hockenheim we will be near top, but Hungoring i reckon we will shine. That track will suit us.
Totally agree with that. :-)

NJB13
14th July 2010, 01:17
A great read and I agree with most.
Make this a regular mate :-)

Nova
14th July 2010, 15:32
Good review...I agree w/most of it..what Ive been wondering about is Massa..is he overdriving the car? I am really glad he was able to
come back after the accident and that he is healthy....some would say that he is not the same driver, but I disagree..If you notice last year, since the rules changes and
the drivers had to deal w/the F60, which wasnt a very good car, it appeared that Felipe had problems w/the handling of the car, especially after the
1st few races...it appears that he has a bit of a problem getting to grips w/the way the rules make the car perform or handle...He was looking pretty good..for a half a lap..until
him and FA had a coming together..I didnt see it as I was watching Speed on Fox, which meant that Id get a few laps, then loads of commercials, then a few laps etc...
but I was hoping to see a good race from him..he needs one to be truthful...with the cars so close, a few 10ths could mean starting from...well...where he's been starting from.
And that hasnt helped him at all..I would like to see both Ferrari's starting up the grid...So lets not forget to also give our support to Felipe...hopefully he will be able
to turn things around for the team..and himself..