PDA

View Full Version : Raikkonen gets support to comeback

Rishu
14th July 2010, 11:37
According to reports, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh believes that getting Kimi Raikkonen back to Formula 1 would be a major boost for the sport.
‘The Iceman’ opted to join Citroen in the World Rally Championship (WRC) after talks of a possible switch to McLaren at the end of the 2009 season did not materialize. Instead, the Woking-based outfit decided to go with the current world champion Jenson Button.
Over the past few months there have been talks of his return to the sport with both Renault and Red Bull linked with the 2007 champion. After Silverstone it seems that both Red Bull and now Mercedes GP could be interested in signing the former Ferrari driver should Mark Webber or Michael Schumacher decide to vacate their respective seats.
Whitmarsh has been open about his feelings on the Finn’s return to the sport. “Formula 1 would be richer for having Kimi back,” said the McLaren boss to the Daily Star. “He is a very talented and intelligent driver, which is something that people underestimated. That's because he wasn't the most communicative of people on occasions,” he added.
"If I could wave a magic wand for an F1 grid it would certainly include Kimi. That's why last year we were talking to him," the McLaren team principal pointed out.
Meanwhile, Robert Kubica claims that he would welcome the former champion if Renault is successful in convincing him to quit WRC and re-join F1 with the Enstone-based team.
After a one year sabbatical from the sport, Raikkonen could occupy the yet to be confirmed vacant spot with the French manufacturers for 2011, if he decides to put an end to his rallying endeavours. "As I always say, I have no problems with my team-mates. If Kimi will join us it will be very good. I think he is a great and talented driver,” said Kubica to Autosport.
"It might be very, very good driver line-up with him, but I don't know what the future will bring us and who will be my teammate next year. I think it's too early to say," said the Renault driver. "It's much better, especially in the current days, to have two good drivers in the team - both drivers can help the team and help each other," he added.
"Without testing there is very limited time running. If you have someone you can rely on for information, data and feedback it is much easier for myself. Of course I think there is no downside to having two strong drivers in the team," said the Polish driver.

http://ndtv.f1pulse.com/news/raikkonen_gets_support_to_comeback/news-2010-july-news_20100714_42/news_article.aspx

WS6TransAm01
14th July 2010, 12:11
MercedesGP? How funny would it be if he not only moved Michael out of Ferrari but came back to move him out of Mercedes GP lol. Sorry... had to laugh at that.

I would love to see Kimi back. Not only because he signed a photo I took of him in Indy in 2007, and its hanging up on my wall, but because when he was on, he was an awesome driver and great to watch.

durden
14th July 2010, 12:59
MercedesGP? How funny would it be if he not only moved Michael out of Ferrari but came back to move him out of Mercedes GP lol. Sorry... had to laugh at that.

I would love to see Kimi back. Not only because he signed a photo I took of him in Indy in 2007, and its hanging up on my wall, but because when he was on, he was an awesome driver and great to watch.

:lol I love Michael, but that is kind of funny.

Kingdom Hearts
14th July 2010, 14:06
I don't think F1 miss Kimi, maybe Kimi fans and sympathizer do. F1 is beyond and above any driver

I always liked Kimi, if he is driving in F1 next year it will be great anyway.

Italian Spirit
14th July 2010, 14:12
share it with you,
www.voguesale.com
Maybe you will love it,do not miss it.

I thought this forum was ads-free.
Hello Mods?... Can you get rid of such trash or of jane347? :wave

Nova
14th July 2010, 14:31
Hey, Id love to see Kimi come back...he never talked much, but then again he never complained or winged about like some of the current drivers do..

Hey, whats that? An ad????

Tommy_F
14th July 2010, 14:33
Hey, Id love to see Kimi come back...he never talked much, but then again he never complained or winged about like some of the current drivers do..

Hey, whats that? An ad????

He also didn't try as hard, at least in '09.

I doubt he is coming back, he's having too much fun rallying.

Pekka
14th July 2010, 14:36
Yah, from what I've read / heard / seen is that Kimi is really enjoying Rally and therefore will probably not make a return..(at least next year). I bet Kimi will replace Loeb at Citroen factory team when Loebs time is up.. In the last rally (tarmac) Kimi set some promising times and he even beat Loeb on some stages.. He is looking to get a podium finnish in his first season in Rallying lol.. :D

F1 & WRC champ.. now that would be something! ;-)

anoopvp
14th July 2010, 15:47
From Massa's performance this year its sure that he needs to be worrying even though he have renewed his contract. Alonso is extracting most from his car and more while Massa is going slower. But If Kimi was here he would have given us a definite chances.

Many of you will disagree but Massa is not a match for Kimi, we cannot compare both, although Kimi is not good in PR and interviews and even in the development of car, he is good at making most from the car. His victory in F60 is the evidence for his ability. We have made a mistake by releasing him.... And Kimi is one of the coolest person on F1 and never had any problems with any team mate. We need a good driver who can win races by using cars developed with the help of Alonso.

I urge all the Ferrari fans to support the calling back of Kimi..... because this is what the team wants in the next years and not Massa who cannot push to the limits without making mistakes.....

Tommy_F
14th July 2010, 15:54
Even if we would want to replace Massa, I'm sure we can do better than Kimi.

Tifosi
14th July 2010, 16:04
:rotfl

slither
14th July 2010, 16:14
Kimi should be in the sport, and I believe that sacking him was a bad decision made by Ferrari. But sacking injured Massa was a risky one too.

I don't give a chance to the idea of replacing Felipe with Kimi as it is not a position suitable for Ferrari (but will be glad if it happens). But I hope Kimi would not join McLaren next year or in the future as he is my favorite driver.

Probably we will see him in Renault or RBR next year as Webber is about to start a long term discussion in the team.

Anni
14th July 2010, 18:18
From Massa's performance this year its sure that he needs to be worrying even though he have renewed his contract. Alonso is extracting most from his car and more while Massa is going slower. But If Kimi was here he would have given us a definite chances.

Many of you will disagree but Massa is not a match for Kimi, we cannot compare both, although Kimi is not good in PR and interviews and even in the development of car, he is good at making most from the car. His victory in F60 is the evidence for his ability. We have made a mistake by releasing him.... And Kimi is one of the coolest person on F1 and never had any problems with any team mate. We need a good driver who can win races by using cars developed with the help of Alonso.

I urge all the Ferrari fans to support the calling back of Kimi..... because this is what the team wants in the next years and not Massa who cannot push to the limits without making mistakes.....

Oh, great idea! Let´s fire Massa, who isn´t able to show his very best at the moment for some reason, and replace him with Kimi, who we fired last year. If he makes some mistakes, let´s fire him and replace him with Fisichella. If he doesn´t meet our expectations, let´s fire him, too, and replace him with Valentino Rossi. Who shall we take if we need to fire him, too?
This is ridiculous and would even make Kimi laugh.
I´m not saying I don´t want Kimi back, I would really appreciate to see him in F1 again.
Ferrari needs constancy to get back to the top, exchanging the drivers wouldn´t help it would just bring disturbance into the team.

Anni
14th July 2010, 18:27
Even if we would want to replace Massa, I'm sure we can do better than Kimi.

So Massa is the black sheep now, who is to blame for everything bad happening to the team the last races!?
He isn´t on top at the moment, I agree. His performance could be better, but I am sure there are some reasons behind this. Surly he will sort things out and be himself again soon. Just give him a little more time.
To replace him wouldn´t help the situation any way, I think it would make things worse.
We should stop talking about replacing our drivers, and support them as good as we could. If we fans don´t believe in our drivers anymore things can only get worse.

Alonsomaniac
14th July 2010, 18:39
It would be nice to see Kimi back in an F1 car, but not in a Ferrari. Those days are over.
Ferrari has an excellent pair of drivers,even while Felipe has some difficulties with the car at the moment - but he will improve again. Our drivers get along well, there is never any trouble between them and they work together great.
If Kimi would come back he should make a fresh start in a new team, most likely Renault.

Tommy_F
14th July 2010, 18:44
So Massa is the black sheep now, who is to blame for everything bad happening to the team the last races!?
He isn´t on top at the moment, I agree. His performance could be better, but I am sure there are some reasons behind this. Surly he will sort things out and be himself again soon. Just give him a little more time.
To replace him wouldn´t help the situation any way, I think it would make things worse.
We should stop talking about replacing our drivers, and support them as good as we could. If we fans don´t believe in our drivers anymore things can only get worse.

I didn't say that, I said that IF we would want to replace Massa, it's a hypothetical situation.

Suzie
14th July 2010, 19:02
I would love to see Kimi back in F1. Definitely not at Ferrari though - I have to say I like the idea of Kimi teaming up at Renault with Kubica very much.

And as for Ferrari replacing Massa with Kimi... I'd say there's about as much chance of ME replacing Felipe as there is Kimi ;-)

F2007
14th July 2010, 19:03
It would be nice to see Kimi back in an F1 car, but not in a Ferrari. Those days are over.
Ferrari has an excellent pair of drivers,even while Felipe has some difficulties with the car at the moment - but he will improve again. Our drivers get along well, there is never any trouble between them and they work together great.
If Kimi would come back he should make a fresh start in a new team, most likely Renault.

I agree.

Some of you made few comments about Massa, i think his form is due to light Qs. Now when they all are on fumes its a whole new ball game. He(and Smedley) played the Q game like master for few years. (Kimi just couldnt care less if Massa was few kg´s lighter or not!!! which was big mistake!)

Kröhöm, what im trying to say here is: Massas form might stay like it is now.

anoopvp
14th July 2010, 19:08
I was surprised by Ferrari’s decision to sign Massa back in 2006. I very much doubt his ability as a top F1 driver then and now, and it’s true that Ferrari was unfair to Raikkonnen because he performed well last year and Ferrari’s way of treating him as a scapegoat last year was really cruel as the team and it’s designers was to be blamed more for the poor performance. Ferrari should have fired those irresponsible designers and should have extended Kimi’s contract.
Kimi does deserve a second chance at Ferrari.

WS6TransAm01
14th July 2010, 19:21
I would love to see Kimi back at Ferrari, but that's just not going to happen.

I honestly believe that had Massa not been injured last year, he would be the one pushed out to make way for Fernando. Once again, only my oppinion, but letting go of an injured driver would make Ferrari look like a bunch of a-holes, and it was either getting rid of a driver who IS better but did not have the spirit that year, of looking like a total jerks. They chose Kimi to save themselves the ridicule of kicking a guy [Massa] while he is down.

Either way, though I know contracts can be bought out and drivers let go within their contracts, I doubt Ferrari will change their driver line up. I don't see Kimi going to RBR either, Unless Mark or Seb really muck things up and cost the team dearly. RBR has a good driver line up and I don't see them messing with them. Same thing with McLaren. They have two British WC's in a british team, PR GOLD, what do they need a Fin for? Renault is just not fast enough of a car for Kimi to go there, as he said, if he does not have a chance at the WDC he is not interested. MercedesGP, though not much faster than Renault if at all seems like the only viable choice. Michael has sucked something fierce all year, especialy when Nico is doing so much better. And thing of the humor in that, as I said before. Kimi pushing Michael out twice lol.

Ant Raikkonen
15th July 2010, 11:19
Kimi gets support to come back......who from....Santander?

Ant Raikkonen
15th July 2010, 11:25

Well, i went to the head of the queue, stood up in support of Kimi's return but then i turned around to see the rest of this forum still sat down.

Hermann
15th July 2010, 11:45
Raikkonen set to stay in rallying

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85282

Suzie
15th July 2010, 11:47
Can't see him back then. Even if the rumours about a possible 2012 Red Bull drive are true, Michael has shown how tough it is to return after a few seasons out of F1.

Tifosi
15th July 2010, 11:53
Well, i went to the head of the queue, stood up in support of Kimi's return but then i turned around to see the rest of this forum still sat down.

:lol

slither
15th July 2010, 12:00
Can't see him back then. Even if the rumours about a possible 2012 Red Bull drive are true, Michael has shown how tough it is to return after a few seasons out of F1.

It is hard to compare Michael's return with a possible return of Kimi. Factors are way different. No need to mention them all.

Rob
15th July 2010, 20:40
Kimi is going too be staying WRC for at least another year.

Be good to have him back in F1, but he enjoying WRC alot.

Rob
15th July 2010, 20:43

By David Evans Thursday, July 15th 2010, 11:15 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen is set to commit to the World Rally Championship for a second season, reveals this week's AUTOSPORT.

The 2007 Formula 1 world champion had been linked to a return to grand prix racing with Renault next year, but the Finn intends to stay in rallying for at least one more year.

Raikkonen is believed to be keen for his relationship with Red Bull to be a long term one, opening the door for a possible F1 return with the energy drink firm's team in 2012.

"I don't miss Formula 1 and I am enjoying what I am doing now," Raikkonen said at the Bulgarian round of the WRC last weekend.

"I have still not decided what I am doing next year yet. Soon I have to decide, maybe it will be just after Rally Finland."

A Red Bull source confirmed to AUTOSPORT that it is close to a deal with Raikkonen: "We are very happy with what Kimi has done this season. He is very good for the Red Bull brand and we are looking to extend his agreement into next year. I think this is likely."

Citroen Racing director Olivier Quesnel is confident that he will retain Raikkonen in 2011.

"I'm sure this will happen," he said. "For myself, he is really involved in rallying and he wants to succeed. I will be pleased if he will stay. he has done one year and he needs to do one more year to make sure."

Sebastien Loeb agrees that it would benefit Raikkonen to stay for at least a second year in the WRC.

"He should, because this year he is only learning," Loeb said. "He cannot be competitive this year and if he stops then he has lost this year. If he continues next year he will arrive on the rallies knowing where he is.

"He has the notes, he can modify them, which is much easier than this year when he had to make them all from the start. He will know better the stages in his head. He can improve a lot from this year to next year.

"Especially because we all change cars, so he will get in the new car and we will also. I'm sure he would have more chances to succeed next season."

www.autosport.com

racingbradley
15th July 2010, 22:26
Hmm if Kimi returns to F1 will we see Vectra back here!!!!!!!!:-):-)

Becool70
16th July 2010, 07:32
The Ice cream man will be happy!!! aaaaaaahaha I am sure 00.1 % of fans miss his "sparklin" personality!!!

mad_ani
16th July 2010, 08:13
The Ice cream man will be happy!!! aaaaaaahaha I am sure 00.1 % of fans miss his "sparklin" personality!!!

Well the ICEMAN is happy where he is:-D
And his fans do like his racing and driving, esp when he had the right car.. :-)

MundoX
16th July 2010, 09:08
He'll be back @ Mercedes GP. Talked to Haug, he can't go back anymore. Schumi has only 1 yr contract.

NJB13
16th July 2010, 09:30
He'll be back @ Mercedes GP. Talked to Haug, he can't go back anymore. Schumi has only 1 yr contract.

Shumey's contract was 3 years I think.

slither
16th July 2010, 10:04
Shumey's contract was 3 years I think.

Schumi's contract is one year as I know but there is a 3 years option, or at least Schumi wants to be in F1 for 3 years, or something like that. Besides contracts are not that important when it comes to F1. Anything could happen.

mad_ani
16th July 2010, 10:26

Do you mean you talked to Haug ??
Well so does Nico Rosberg have a multi-year contract with the team?

Katu
19th July 2010, 07:10

couldn't agree more. btw if he hadn't wanted to leave in first place, he wouldn't have agreed to take the money and leave. as much as i remember contracts these days are two sided things

Pekka
19th July 2010, 13:03
couldn't agree more. btw if he hadn't wanted to leave in first place, he wouldn't have agreed to take the money and leave. as much as i remember contracts these days are two sided things

lol, these days they seem to be three sided things... santander ya heard! :-D

Greig
19th July 2010, 13:10
Hopefully he comes back to be shown up again :-D

Katu
19th July 2010, 13:39
get over it, kimi won't come back because he is not interested. he was more than willing to take the money and leave, he had options to drive this year, he didn't take them because he loved money more than driving

Greig
19th July 2010, 14:02
To be fair if that was true he would not be out nearly killing himself all the time in WRC :-)

Katu
19th July 2010, 14:38
which part wasn't true? he is cashing not only double, but triple for that. 1 - ferrari gave him for early contract termination, 2 - ferrari gave him for not driving this year in f1 (there were free seats in macca and in mercedes when the news came out that he was free to sign anywhere) and 3 - he takes from red bull for crashing citoens.
and nearly killing himself in WRC is only his own problem, some people drive rally for many years before switching to WRC, he thinks he is talented enough and if he nearly kills himself in that process means he isn't. and fyi there has been killed more co-drivers than drivers recently - as Michael Park 2005 and Jörg Bastuck 2006. so i'd be more afraid of his co-driver

Ken
19th July 2010, 14:43

By David Evans Thursday, July 15th 2010, 11:15 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen is set to commit to the World Rally Championship for a second season, reveals this week's AUTOSPORT.

The 2007 Formula 1 world champion had been linked to a return to grand prix racing with Renault next year, but the Finn intends to stay in rallying for at least one more year.

Raikkonen is believed to be keen for his relationship with Red Bull to be a long term one, opening the door for a possible F1 return with the energy drink firm's team in 2012.

"I don't miss Formula 1 and I am enjoying what I am doing now," Raikkonen said at the Bulgarian round of the WRC last weekend.

"I have still not decided what I am doing next year yet. Soon I have to decide, maybe it will be just after Rally Finland."

A Red Bull source confirmed to AUTOSPORT that it is close to a deal with Raikkonen: "We are very happy with what Kimi has done this season. He is very good for the Red Bull brand and we are looking to extend his agreement into next year. I think this is likely."

Citroen Racing director Olivier Quesnel is confident that he will retain Raikkonen in 2011.

"I'm sure this will happen," he said. "For myself, he is really involved in rallying and he wants to succeed. I will be pleased if he will stay. he has done one year and he needs to do one more year to make sure."

Sebastien Loeb agrees that it would benefit Raikkonen to stay for at least a second year in the WRC.

"He should, because this year he is only learning," Loeb said. "He cannot be competitive this year and if he stops then he has lost this year. If he continues next year he will arrive on the rallies knowing where he is.

"He has the notes, he can modify them, which is much easier than this year when he had to make them all from the start. He will know better the stages in his head. He can improve a lot from this year to next year.

"Especially because we all change cars, so he will get in the new car and we will also. I'm sure he would have more chances to succeed next season."

yes Stu I agree :rotfl

Pheeeewww that was a close call Kimi back to F1 NOOOooooo how soon his mediocre performances in 2008 have been forgotten.

Greig
19th July 2010, 14:51
which part wasn't true? he is cashing not only double, but triple for that. 1 - ferrari gave him for early contract termination, 2 - ferrari gave him for not driving this year in f1 (there were free seats in macca and in mercedes when the news came out that he was free to sign anywhere) and 3 - he takes from red bull for crashing citoens.
and nearly killing himself in WRC is only his own problem, some people drive rally for many years before switching to WRC, he thinks he is talented enough and if he nearly kills himself in that process means he isn't. and fyi there has been killed more co-drivers than drivers recently - as Michael Park 2005 and Jörg Bastuck 2006. so i'd be more afraid of his co-driver

The he is more interested in money than driving, can't really be true can it :-) otherwise why is he in WRC

ICEMAN_89
19th July 2010, 14:51
very mature mate, really he's still learning, if you can't do better yourself then you just should stay quiet:lou

Greig
19th July 2010, 14:53
very mature mate, really he's still learning, if you can't do better yourself then you just should stay quiet:lou

Hiya Kimi :-)

slither
19th July 2010, 15:03
He got enough money from Ferrari to cancel his deal. He just could not find a seat for himself.

Katu
19th July 2010, 15:15
The he is more interested in money than driving, can't really be true can it :-) otherwise why is he in WRC

because it pays to be there. Grönholm, Latvala, Hirvonen and all other finns didn't decide on one happy day that they want to be rally drivers and they were given the WRC for that decision. if he really wanted to learn, he had started with something else than WRC. but there he isn't paid anymore that much. and what else, he doesn't have to talk to the press (actually he does, but he still gets away without doing it), he can party and drink as much as he wants. with matti nykanen

Greig
19th July 2010, 15:17
But you have to admit its a tough place to drive if all you care about is money :-)

Katu
19th July 2010, 15:20
But you have to admit its a tough place to drive if all you care about is money :-)

i can admit that, but also admit that god has not blessed us all with equal brainpower

Ant Raikkonen
19th July 2010, 16:47
To be fair if that was true he would not be out nearly killing himself all the time in WRC :-)

:rotfl Aye

Ferrarichamp
19th July 2010, 16:54
I don't think Kimi should return to F1. He's been there, got the T-shirt. Time to close the chapter IMHO.