PDA

View Full Version : DC reveals that he had turned Ferrari down

crbassassin
15th July 2010, 02:50
http://planetf1.com/news/3213/6259607/DC-I-Once-Turned-Ferrari-Down

"There are two ways of running a race team. You can either go the Ferrari-Schumacher route, with one driver openly backed over the other. Or you can go for an equal partnership.

"The first is the most effective way of winning a Championship but morally dubious. The second is the fairer system but is incredibly volatile and difficult to put into practice.

"My preference is for the second system. I once turned down the chance of a move to Ferrari as I would not accept being a signed-up No 2 to Michael."

Rishu
15th July 2010, 03:46
:rotfl

Thats all i can do

Brakefade
15th July 2010, 04:32

Thats all i can do

:haha:

mad_ani
15th July 2010, 05:29
http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/The-Coulthard-Commentary-021242872535218?refmod=ContentFeed&refmodpos=A5

The entire article....

he British Grand Prix ended in victory for Mark Webber, but from the outside it looks like the relationship is becoming strained with the team management. Mark's former Red Bull Racing team-mate and BBC F1 pundit David Coulthard gives us his view of events in Silverstone...

There are two ways of running a race team. You can either go the Ferrari-Schumacher route, with one driver openly backed over the other. Or you can go for an equal partnership.

© Getty Images/Red Bull Photofiles
The first is the most effective way of winning a championship but morally dubious. The second is the fairer system but is incredibly volatile and difficult to put into practice. My preference is for the second system. I once turned down the chance of a move to Ferrari as I would not accept being a signed-up number two to Michael. Red Bull are clearly a team trying to do it the fair way, whatever Mark Webber may have said at Silverstone.

I have a huge amount of respect for Mark, and he had his own reasons for saying what he did. He clearly felt aggrieved that the team gave Sebastian Vettel his wing prior to qualifying, and he saw an opportunity to turn the situation in his favour by making his feelings plain to the media. That is his prerogative.

In many respects, that bloody-minded attitude is what I wish I had shown on the two occasions during my career, at Jerez in 1997 and Melbourne a year later, when I was asked to make way for my McLaren team-mate, Mika Hakkinen.

'THE DRIVER-TEAM RELATIONSHIP IS ONE OF THE MOST COMPLEX IN SPORT'

I will never know whether my compliance cost me the chance of a championship. Arguably Mika was the more complete driver anyway, but perhaps those incidents gave him additional confidence or subconsciously dented mine, as well as my self-esteem.

That is not to say, though, that I agree with Mark. As Christian Horner explained, his team were in an invidious position. With just one new front wing and two hungry drivers, he applied a logic he felt would give Red Bull the best chance of winning the championship. That is his prerogative.

OK, so the logic helped Sebastian as the leading driver, but to be fair to the team, with the standings now reversed, they have already said they will apply the same logic next time, which would help Mark.

The mistake Red Bull made, and which Christian has admitted, was that they did not go into the weekend with that system already in place and publicly known; that way they would not have left themselves open to accusations of partisanship.

This is not sitting on the fence. This is the paradox of Formula One. The driver-team relationship is one of the most complex in sport; a multi-million pound marriage with the divorce papers signed on the same day as the wedding. The relationship will end; that much is certain. It is just a question of time. During that time, both sides will try to extract the most they can from the partnership.

Red Bull would doubtless prefer it if Mark aired his grievances in private. Mark, who suspects Red Bull’s Austrian owners would prefer Vettel to win the championship, clearly feels he can gain more leverage by going public and trying to shame the team whenever he feels hard done by.

It is a risky strategy. If it goes wrong, the relationship with the team could sour irreparably. If it comes off, he could consolidate his position, attract public sympathy and be remembered as a steely champion who battled against the odds to win his title.

There were reports on Sunday night that Mark’s side of the garage taunted Seb’s. I have no idea if that is true – I have to say I sincerely doubt it – but race teams are tight-knit communities so this is undoubtedly a very big test for Christian. I think he is up to it.

He started the healing process with some appalling karaoke at the post-race party on Sunday night. It is easy to forget that Red Bull won the race on Sunday with a car that was out of this world; Adrian Newey has now designed 11 British Grand Prix-winning cars and the team are in great shape.

Red Bull learnt from Istanbul and they will learn from this. When the dust settles, I think they will take more positives than negatives.

He happily remained No. 2 to Mika and Kimi (2003 onwards)...but wanted parity with Michael :))

NJB13
15th July 2010, 05:46
I really didn't want to bring this up, but I also turned down Ferrari for the same reason

Suzie
15th July 2010, 07:28
What was the difference between being number 2 to Michael and being number 2 to Mika, eh David? You probably would have gotten more money with us, you would have had the honour of being a Ferrari driver - AND you wouldn't have had to put up with Ron.
:lol

Tifosi
15th July 2010, 08:39
yeah, we all know that Ron didn't have favourites David :lol

Tommy_F
15th July 2010, 09:25
This actually belongs here: http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/showthread.php/26714-F1-News-that-didn-t-deserve-to-be-reported?p=613098

(really really slow news days...)

slither
15th July 2010, 11:56
What was the difference between being number 2 to Michael and being number 2 to Mika, eh David? You probably would have gotten more money with us, you would have had the honour of being a Ferrari driver - AND you wouldn't have had to put up with Ron.

:thumb

DC was just a looser in F1. Nothing more.

Tifosi
15th July 2010, 12:26
Reminded me of this classic from when sniff petrol was funnier ;-)

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/AdCoulthard02.jpg

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/latenews0409_01.jpg

Rishu
15th July 2010, 13:16

Stormsearcher
15th July 2010, 14:03

Bwaaaahahahahahahahahhahaha... :haha:

Red Rocket
15th July 2010, 15:37
The truth David didn’t join Ferrari is that everyone knows Italians make terrible Haggis.

Ant Raikkonen
15th July 2010, 15:48
And Italians have a terrible intolerance towards square jaws.

aroutis
15th July 2010, 16:06
I really didn't want to bring this up, but I also turned down Ferrari for the same reason

Some years ago, Jean Todt visited me in my house and offered me a drive but I turned them down cause I wanted Michael to be #2 and
he wanted to be equal status with me... go figure..

RedDragon
15th July 2010, 16:10
LOL this thread is cracking me up!:lol

But still, poor DC, who knows, if he would have signed, it might have been his year. ;-)

Tifosi
15th July 2010, 16:15
Ah... the perennial DC "Championship Charge". Usually too late and often in the wrong direction but a charge nonetheless :-D

Stino
15th July 2010, 16:34
:thumb

DC was just a looser in F1. Nothing more.

At least he was able to win several Grand Prix. You, on the other hand, seem to be unable to spell your way out of a paper bag.

WRX202
15th July 2010, 16:47
Actually many here underestimate DC's potential. I recall Adrian Newey basing his DD concept on DC's jaw.... :lol

I'm sooo glad he "turned down" the offer lol!

slither
15th July 2010, 16:57
At least he was able to win several Grand Prix. You, on the other hand, seem to be unable to spell your way out of a paper bag.

If someone driving a McLaren for 7-8 years can't win several GPs, I would call him something worse than a loser (which I call you baby).

Suzie
15th July 2010, 17:36
So I'm thinking DC's offer to drive for Ferrari came BEFORE Spa '98? ;-)

epiclyaddicted
15th July 2010, 17:45
Thank God DC turned down the offer! That shows there is a God! ;-) :-D

Stino
15th July 2010, 20:12
If someone driving a McLaren for 7-8 years can't win several GPs, I would call him something worse than a loser (which I call you baby).

Oh no! An illiterate person on the Internet just tried to call me a loser. What to do, what to do? :lol

slither
15th July 2010, 22:24
Oh no! An illiterate person on the Internet just tried to call me a loser. What to do, what to do? :lol

Read it carefully baby, and face that I didn't call you a loser ;)

Tifosi
15th July 2010, 22:38
might be worth taking your battle of insults to pm guys as it's not really thread relevant. ;-)

slither
16th July 2010, 00:47
might be worth taking your battle of insults to pm guys as it's not really thread relevant. ;-)

Not really fighting man, at least I am having some fun with a DC fan ;) Besides, the things that DC told could not be taken serious so it is natural for this thread to turn into a fun stuff :) (Ok, ok this was the last one for this thread from me)

killer
16th July 2010, 02:05
So I'm thinking DC's offer to drive for Ferrari came BEFORE Spa '98? ;-)

:-D

Nova
16th July 2010, 02:23

Lol....

xpman
16th July 2010, 09:18
think hes in lalalala land at his logic , but if he was offered a seat insted of Irvine and Schumy still had his crash I think He would dona a better job in Challenging Mikka to WDC than Irvine did. Note I did NOT say he would win the WDC but just do a better job of Trying .

Ant Raikkonen
16th July 2010, 10:43

Yeah, the Kimi-DC one ^^ is priceless isn't it. :lol:lol

I STILL absolutely love sniff petrol. I think "the Schumachers" is my favourite, plus "D.I Blundell" and "Crazy Dave Coulthard" are back too!! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Ant Raikkonen
16th July 2010, 10:49
think hes in lalalala land at his logic , but if he was offered a seat insted of Irvine and Schumy still had his crash I think He would dona a better job in Challenging Mikka to WDC than Irvine did. Note I did NOT say he would win the WDC but just do a better job of Trying .

Hey, there's nothing wrong with living in lala land! Kimi will come running back into Ferrari's open arms from 2011 ;-)

Ant Raikkonen
16th July 2010, 11:02
At least Ferrari were honest about what DC's role was going to be there ;-)

He took the Mclaren "equality" road and got a rude awakening at Jerez 97 & Melbourne 98.
I thought at the time that was great racing from Mika, oh how youth is wasted on the young!! :lol:lol oh plus a discraceful comment from Mr Integrity on live TV about his "brain fade" on the Monaco grid :-!:furious.

Also in DC's book referring to team meetings, apparantly "Integrity" was on Mika's side of the table saying "what are THEY doing". :furious:-!

DonXabi
16th July 2010, 11:46
http://planetf1.com/news/3213/6259607/DC-I-Once-Turned-Ferrari-Down

"There are two ways of running a race team. You can either go the Ferrari-Schumacher route, with one driver openly backed over the other. Or you can go for an equal partnership.

"The first is the most effective way of winning a Championship but morally dubious. The second is the fairer system but is incredibly volatile and difficult to put into practice.

"My preference is for the second system. I once turned down the chance of a move to Ferrari as I would not accept being a signed-up No 2 to Michael."

Weren't there rumours he was offered a test seat a year or so ago? Think around the time of his last season at RB, but he declined that as well as he wanted one more race season or something?

Agron
16th July 2010, 11:57
Too bad he forgot that in soviet England you don't race for the team, the team races you :-D.

Red Rocket
16th July 2010, 13:32
Better being a number 2 driver at Ferrari then number 1 anywhere else

Suzie
16th July 2010, 17:56

Yes well maybe Eddie would have done better against Mika if Ferrari had had enough tyres for him at the Nurburgring :Hmm

Tifosi
16th July 2010, 18:53
i've said it before and i'll say it again..... "Suzie Loves Eddie" :-D

Suzie
16th July 2010, 19:02
Well, who do you think made me a Ferrari fan?
And I don't love him as much as I love Felipe :-P

Liscia
17th July 2010, 12:39
DC needs help! He's having hindsight hallucinations!

xinebessa
17th July 2010, 15:05

I'd be more worried that he called you baby :-E