PDA

View Full Version : Alonso and Ferrari vow to 'knuckle down' and fight through the gloom

vcs316
16th July 2010, 03:03
Fernando Alonso and Ferrari have promised to remain ‘united’ and ‘rational’, come out ‘stronger’ than before and ‘make the most of the slightest opportunity’ over the remainder of the F1 2010 World Championship campaign as they bid to prevent the chase for the crown from narrowing down into merely a two-horse race between Red Bull Racing and McLaren-Mercedes.

As a result of the opening lap contact between Alonso and team-mate Felipe Massa that left the Brazilian with a puncture and the Spaniard’s subsequent penalty for overtaking Renault rival Robert Kubica on the grass and then neglecting to give the place back again, for the first time all season a frustrated Ferrari took away no points at all from last weekend’s British Grand Prix, a race in which the F10 arguably proved to be best-of-the-rest behind the dominant Red Bull RB6, against the grain of what had been anticipated at Silverstone.

Worse still, throw into the equation the costly Valencia safety car controversy and Alonso’s traffic woes in Montreal that the double F1 World Champion contended deprived him of victory, and the Scuderia has notched up a mere 19 points from the last three grands prix – and Massa, absent from the podium since Melbourne, none at all – causing the team to slip to a distant third in the constructors’ table, a gaping 113 markers adrift of leaders McLaren having not triumphed since the curtain-raising Bahrain Grand Prix at Sakhir all the way back in March.

After the race at Silverstone, however, Alonso urged his colleagues to ‘keep their heads up’ as ‘there is plenty of time to recover’ and ‘we will win the championship’ and as he looks ahead to the second half of the campaign, the 22-time grand prix-winner revealed that the trials and tribulations thus far would only serve to spur the Prancing Horse on to a renewed challenge for glory.

“Naturally, it’s frustrating,” mused the fired-up Oviedo native, who is himself now 47 points off former team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the drivers’ standings and placed only fifth, “but it is precisely at times like these that you have to be stronger and united, looking to the future without losing motivation. We have to know how to make the most of the slightest opportunity and be ready to pick up every single point.

“Races like this one at Silverstone just increase my will. I really want to get to the next round as quickly as possible, while using this energy in a positive and constructive way.”

Those sentiments were echoed by Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali and President Luca di Montezemolo, both of whom acknowledged the need to look forwards rather than back and dig deeper and work even harder from now on to swiftly and successfully turn the situation around and resurrect the Maranello-based outfit’s title hopes – as the former shunned notions of abandoning development on the F10 in order to focus fully on its successor, as happened last summer with the disappointing F60.

“We are angry that we did not get the results we are capable of delivering,” confessed the Italian, “but this anger must be turned into a positive force. Even in the cold light of day, I don’t want to comment on certain incidents, because I do not want my words to be seen as some sort of excuse. We must remain rational; we must not let ourselves be discouraged nor frustrated. We just have to knuckle down and continue to develop the car, working calmly, with great concentration and determination – then, the results will come.”

“I have nothing to add here about what happened at the track,” added di Montezemolo. “There is no point in crying about it, and I want the team to tackle the second half of the season in a positive manner. I expect everyone will give 100 per cent to bring home points quickly to make up for those we have lost to-date. All of us – myself, Domenicali, the engineers, mechanics and drivers – know what everyone, especially our fans, expect.

“We have gone through much worse moments than this and we have come through them, but clearly we can no longer afford to lose opportunities, which for various reasons have escaped us in the last two races, even though we had a competitive car. As things stand, qualifying and the start have become the decisive moments, so we must improve in these areas if we want to win.”

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15072010/23/alonso-ferrari-vow-knuckle-fight-gloom.html

Pekka
16th July 2010, 03:14
Nice words.. Let's hope that Ferrari can turn things around and make this championship even more interesting than it is at the moment.. And it is really interesting at the moment in my opinion.

Hopefully Felipe will start delivering more.. This situation must be eating him inside.. I'm pretty certain we might see some fireworks within Ferrari later on this season.. The next couple of races should tell us more. It would be great for Felipe to get a win next race. That could really set his spirits up and raise his level of performance for the remainder of the season.

steelstallions
16th July 2010, 05:51
Nice words

Tony
16th July 2010, 14:18
Ferrari should maybe vow to stop making stupid, strategic mistakes and to get things right.... talk is cheap.... show us the results....

NJB13
16th July 2010, 15:39
Ferrari should maybe vow to stop making stupid, strategic mistakes and to get things right.... talk is cheap.... show us the results....

Always a good idea to listen to both sides of a story before deciding what is stupid. It was only posted here a little while ago, but, finally, our teams explanation is here:-
http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/showthread.php/27166-FIA-Ferrari-conversations-at-Sliverstone-had-been-revealed...
With the revelation that Whiting took over a lap to finally respond to our request on what Fernando should do, and, then later we were told it would be reviewed after the race, I don't think we made any stupid decisions. In fact they were logical given the timing and content of Whiting initial responses.

Tony
16th July 2010, 16:16
We've seen those types of moves done hundreds of times in F1 over the last 10 years.... every driver either gives the place back or gets penalized.... I don't know, it was pretty obvious to me.... maybe I'm wrong, but I definitely would not have decided to let Alonso continue on....

Nana
16th July 2010, 16:27
I cannot see what they expected Fernando to do. Because the more i see the race, the more I see he has no other choice to avoid a collision.
Anyway, in my oppinion they have extra-motivated Alonso for fighting till the end.
Mclaren, Red Bull: I would be afraid.

Ferrari_Fanatic
16th July 2010, 16:41
I cannot see what they expected Fernando to do. Because the more i see the race, the more I see he has no other choice to avoid a collision.
Anyway, in my oppinion they have extra-motivated Alonso for fighting till the end.
Mclaren, Red Bull: I would be afraid.

+1

NJB13
16th July 2010, 16:48
We've seen those types of moves done hundreds of times in F1 over the last 10 years.... every driver either gives the place back or gets penalized.... I don't know, it was pretty obvious to me.... maybe I'm wrong, but I definitely would not have decided to let Alonso continue on....

Well, hindsight definitely makes your opinion right about the penalty :-)
but
clearly our pit-wall team thought Fernando had won the spot and, was only off the track cause he was pushed off. He was in front from the previous apex (the left turn of the chicane) and Kubica never got back in front of him from there on, and, Fernando had the inside line to the next apex - the right turn of the chicane, and, normally having the inside position and front gives you the right to the racing line. I guess I'm trying to explain why we thought we might have had a case to keep the position. Given that, we were still prudent enough to called for an opinion, but, as we found out, it took over a lap for the answer to come (and then it was too late), and, then we were told it would only be investigated after the race. Given those circumstance, I really believe it's just too harsh to call our team stupid. Honestly, I don't want us to turn into a team that capitulates at every shadow.
I can understand the feeling to find someone to blame at our misfortune, but, I don't think it was our team.
For me, they played hard with the cards they were dealt, and we didn't sweat and fold.

Tifosi
16th July 2010, 18:58
We gambled badly. We lost. History would say we were prolly gonna lose. Whiting advised us we might lose. We nobley ploughed ahead.... and lost!

Go figure!

Tony
16th July 2010, 20:15
Well, hindsight definitely makes your opinion right about the penalty :-)
but
clearly our pit-wall team thought Fernando had won the spot and, was only off the track cause he was pushed off. He was in front from the previous apex (the left turn of the chicane) and Kubica never got back in front of him from there on, and, Fernando had the inside line to the next apex - the right turn of the chicane, and, normally having the inside position and front gives you the right to the racing line. I guess I'm trying to explain why we thought we might have had a case to keep the position. Given that, we were still prudent enough to called for an opinion, but, as we found out, it took over a lap for the answer to come (and then it was too late), and, then we were told it would only be investigated after the race. Given those circumstance, I really believe it's just too harsh to call our team stupid. Honestly, I don't want us to turn into a team that capitulates at every shadow.
I can understand the feeling to find someone to blame at our misfortune, but, I don't think it was our team.
For me, they played hard with the cards they were dealt, and we didn't sweat and fold.

I didn't watch the last race (I was in Florida) but I saw highlights on a tv screen in the airport from far away, so maybe I didn't catch it properly, but it seemed to me that Kubica forced him outside, he went off the track and got ahead because of it.... I don't know, to me, I would have been on the radio telling Alonso to yield to Kubica and try again later.... that type of move has happened too many times with the driver always ending up penalized....

straycat
16th July 2010, 20:38
@nana...good post.

Phantom
16th July 2010, 22:30
If Ferrari can improve on their qualifying, then there is a chance. All along, we know that the RBs have been the best Qualifiers and technically, they whould have been miles apart compared to McLaren and Ferraris. But their drivers keep on scoring own goals and look at what happened to Vettel, not much he could do in Silverstone from the back.

I'm sure Ferrari can demonstrate the F10's strength IF only they can get their qualifying act together.

Pekka
17th July 2010, 04:01
If Ferrari can improve on their qualifying, then there is a chance. All along, we know that the RBs have been the best Qualifiers and technically, they whould have been miles apart compared to McLaren and Ferraris. But their drivers keep on scoring own goals

Amen.. Except for the fact that Red Bull also had some reliability issues, but they surely have scored own goals and therefore this championship is still open..