PDA

View Full Version : Bernie: Monaco could get the axe

vcs316
19th July 2010, 10:21
Bernie Ecclestone is considering dropping the Monaco GP, saying the Principality does not "pay enough".

Monaco has been on the F1 calendar since 1955, however, the Principality reportedly does not pay to host the grand prix whereas other countries pay an average of 24million Euros.

And with Ecclestone looking to scrap existing races in order to sign up new countries and keep the calendar to a maximum of 20 grands prix, Monaco could be given the axe.

"I think it is possible (to have F1) without Monaco," the F1 supremo told Sport1.

"They do not pay enough."

However, with India and America are set to join the calendar in the next two years and Ecclestone looking at Russia and South Africa, Monaco is not the only European race that is under threat.

"The Europeans have to pay more money or we have to go elsewhere," added the 79-year-old.

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/18227/6269466/Bernie-Monaco-could-get-the-axe

Kingdom Hearts
19th July 2010, 10:46
Show me the money your highness Alberto. :roll. Disgusting.

FFFerrari
19th July 2010, 10:52
The old man has officially lost his marbles. F1 without Monaco GP? Blasphemy!

LAROSA SpA
19th July 2010, 11:11
For the good of F1 someone needs to drop something very heavy on his head (preferably an anvil) :-D

xpman
19th July 2010, 11:44
I doubt it happen even if Uncul Bernie tries ,coz if he did think there be a extremely serious move to remove him for shore well am guessing know the FIA have some things in there contract that they can emvoke if feel not in intrest of....plus teams would be against it.
Personaly I could not care less about Monaco ever since they Messed with the lay out of track and that Darm chicane end of tunnel . I want the Old track layout back with out the stupid chicane.

Hornet
19th July 2010, 11:56
I was actually surprised until I came to this line:
"They do not pay enough."

Bernie is up to his good ol tricks again.

I still don't know why he wants even more money at this age. If I was him, I'd retire to a mansion by the beach and enjoy my life

ferrari4life
19th July 2010, 12:30
i actully hate this race...so i wont be crying.

RedRebel40
19th July 2010, 13:08
at least he is honest, he is not talking crap but talking directly about his wishes instead moaning about track safety bla bla.

Ant Raikkonen
19th July 2010, 16:56
Monaco could get the axe? Doubt it. I Doubt Bernie will ever die too. Both seem immortal.

Ferrarichamp
19th July 2010, 16:59
Well Monaco hasn't exactly been a good hunting ground for Ferrari these last 10 years or so...

Tifosi
19th July 2010, 17:12
If it does then it will be a jewel encrusted axe carried by a film star with unfeasibly large sunglassses on her way from a fashion show or Cannes or summat, and presented to Prince Albert on a big silk cushion while they all pat themselves on the back for receiving such a prestigeous axe award......

Bernie likes his jokes. :roll

WS6TransAm01
19th July 2010, 18:41
For the good of F1 someone needs to drop something very heavy on his head (preferably an anvil) :-D

based on his actions and words I think it should be a house... from Kansas...

What a tool.

Rob
19th July 2010, 19:05
This will never, he is talking total, you know what. Just cos he needs the money for the CVC debt. You imagine what NASCAR would say if the promoter said we may drop Daytona 500? Yet again axe an historic and THE jewel in F1 crown for a deserted grandstands and boring track? Yeah Monaco is (can be) boring but that isnt the point. F1 with out Monaco is like F1 without Ferrari.

Suzie
19th July 2010, 19:30
Just another one of his tricks. Monaco's the track that brings out the sport's glamorous side, as boring and shallow as all those celebrities are.

Tommy_F
19th July 2010, 19:32
The Monaco Grand Prix
July 19, 2010 by joesaward

Last week there were reports that Ecclestone wants to axe the Monaco Grand Prix from the Formula 1 World Championship. This is not a credible suggestion, although one can see how it has happened as Ecclestone clearly wants there to be discussion about the race, and is manipulating media who think themselves members of his inner circle and believe every word he says.

Monaco is one of the cornerstones of the Formula 1 brand. It is the very essence of the glamour of the sport and cannot be replaced by flashy white elephants in distant corners of the world. The suggestion that Monaco should be dropped from the World Championship suggests that he is probably in negotiation for a new contract with the Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) and wants to increase the fees paid by the Monegasques. At the same time there are probably other sub-texts that should be taken into account: particularly with the upcoming negotiations for a new Concorde Agreement now not far ahead. Monaco is not particularly popular with the teams, in terms of the working environment and facilities, but it is part of the DNA of F1 and is likely to side with FOTA. The teams understand that it would be suicidal for F1 to remove Monaco from the calendar, just as it would be dangerous not to have Ferrari in the sport. At the same time there is no question that he wants to generate more money for CVC Capital Partners and Monaco is the lowest paying race. The teams will not go above 20 races, so the only real option to increase revenues from race fees is to push up the price for the contracts each time they are renegotiated.

The ACM does what is best for the ACM and, as we have seen in the world of rallying, the club is not afraid to go against the grain if it does not like the terms of the deal on offer. The World Rally Championship struggles for credibility these days because it does not include the Monte Carlo Rally. Formula 1 would be wise not to go down the same route. Bernie knows all of this very well, but sees no harm in trying to weaken the foundations of Monaco’s power.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/the-monaco-grand-prix/

Tifoso
19th July 2010, 19:51
It's not racing--it's Holywood. I am against it purely because it sets a bad precedent--axe one old track, he probably axes them all.

epiclyaddicted
19th July 2010, 20:34
As Joe Saward said it, Monaco's existing contracts are probably coming to an end and Bernie is renegotiating them. Dropping Monaco from the F1 calendar is like FIFA dropping the World Cup finals because it doesn't bring in enough money. Never going to happen!

Greig
19th July 2010, 20:44
May 22, 2009 by Negative Camber

Italian newspaper La Stampa says that Monaco Grand Prix promoter Michel Boeri is unlikely to apply for a contract extension beyond next year should Ferrari leave the sport. Interesting if true as this would be the first track to announce an allegiance with Ferrari in exiting F1 should the team decide to leave. Bernie will no doubt marginalize Monaco’s impact on F1 and suggest that Paul Ricard or the Argentina race would be much more suitable for current F1 cars and a much better spectacle but he’d be wrong. I guess then Monaco is due to sign a new deal for next year :-)

Julie B
19th July 2010, 21:10
The old man has officially lost his marbles. F1 without Monaco GP? Blasphemy!

Has Bernie ever had any marbles to start off with ???

Becool70
20th July 2010, 00:31
F1 would be better off without this little ratty greedy caracter!!! This is a direct result of an old man not willing to retire and spend his milions in the sunshine and let other gnerations take over with new aproaches.. He is gettinf embarrasing !!! GO AWAY BERNIE!!!

killer
20th July 2010, 01:40
It's not racing--it's Holywood. I am against it purely because it sets a bad precedent--axe one old track, he probably axes them all.

Track itself is great, the fluff around the race sucks eggs. Also agree with your second point.

Greig
20th July 2010, 09:00
F1 would be better off without this little ratty greedy caracter!!! This is a direct result of an old man not willing to retire and spend his milions in the sunshine and let other gnerations take over with new aproaches.. He is gettinf embarrasing !!! GO AWAY BERNIE!!!

F1 would probably not be shown in your country if it was not for Bernie, you do realise not all the money goes to him right? the teams do get a big slice, and that's what keeps the sport going....

Tifosi
20th July 2010, 09:19
Track itself is great, the fluff around the race sucks eggs. Also agree with your second point.

The track has character definitely. The need for precision and speed to qualify well and the challenge for the teams to set up the cars to help achieve this is awesome. The race however is usually decided by qualifying and any actual "racing" involved is usually due to anything else except overtaking (pit strategies as once was, binning it in the armco, hitting Schumacher in the tunnel etc.), making the Sunday one of the most anti-climactic of the F1 season if you like racing.

Becool70
20th July 2010, 14:25
F1 would probably not be shown in your country if it was not for Bernie, you do realise not all the money goes to him right? the teams do get a big slice, and that's what keeps the sport going....

Greig are u proposing that F1 would not be without greedy Bernie?? Sorry but I believe it would be more "human" and BIGGER without him.... Just look at other racing events.. He is Old and needs to let go... Period!!

Greig
20th July 2010, 14:47
Greig are u proposing that F1 would not be without greedy Bernie?? Sorry but I believe it would be more "human" and BIGGER without him.... Just look at other racing events.. He is Old and needs to let go... Period!!

What other racing events are worldwide like F1? if you think F1 got to where it is without Bernie then you are mistaken. The teams are perfectly happy for Bernie to sell the sport and make them money.

Fiondella
20th July 2010, 16:06
Has Bernie ever had any marbles to start off with ???

Not since Slavica ran off with them :-)

Fiondella
20th July 2010, 16:09
I think Bernie does shoot himslef in the foot especially with the FOM policy of youtube footage removal. How to win new fans and influence existing fans.not!

Red Rocket
20th July 2010, 16:17
The excitement of Monaco is qualifying. As for racing it is a hit or miss situation. But it does have history and is a great eye candy course. I often find myself watching the scenery instead of the race.

But I think there are so many circuits that need to be given the boot Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi etc. it is so sad to see how money talks and sport is a distant second.

Italian Spirit
20th July 2010, 16:33

An axe, maybe?;-)

REDARMYSOJA
20th July 2010, 17:02

I don't know about all that. Sometimes it's better to dance with the devil you know.

Besides, Bernie's just blowing smoke. He's looking for an advantage in negotiations.

Sianellen
20th July 2010, 17:03
The excitement of Monaco is qualifying. As for racing it is a hit or miss situation. But it does have history and is a great eye candy course. I often find myself watching the scenery instead of the race.

But I think there are so many circuits that need to be given the boot Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi etc. it is so sad to see how money talks and sport is a distant second.

And when your driver crashes into the wall in practice :-E

Tifosi
20th July 2010, 17:04

Yep

Becool70
21st July 2010, 15:23
What other racing events are worldwide like F1? if you think F1 got to where it is without Bernie then you are mistaken. The teams are perfectly happy for Bernie to sell the sport and make them money.

Yes he is a good business man, no doubt, I am not judging his legacy here just inability to let go and let other generations take over.. Every generation needs to let go for the next as they understands thieir needs at the time.. When I talk about other events I am referring to Audiences, ticket cost and promotion... I believe F1 is bigger than one man and we need it to evolve and be more affordable to all...

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 15:46
Yes he is a good business man, no doubt, I am not judging his legacy here just inability to let go and let other generations take over.. Every generation needs to let go for the next as they understands thieir needs at the time.. When I talk about other events I am referring to Audiences, ticket cost and promotion... I believe F1 is bigger than one man and we need it to evolve and be more affordable to all...

How ya gonna make him go though? BE does what the heck he likes. The thing about Bernie is that he makes money, yet manages to decrease the entertainment value of the sport he promotes in the process. Amazing talent really.

What other sport would act like F1. It goes to different countries to generate money, mostly at the expense of the entertainment. Turkey is the only new track that's actually worth watching and no-one can even afford to go to that so it's like a ghost town. He tried to shut down the British Grand Prix which is always sold out and gets tracks built in the desert that have no soul or feel and street circuits built that are all bling and no racing.

He's a clever, resourceful businessman but I don't really think he cares what the show is like as long as it keeps on going.

The only way he's leaving is in a box my friend! That's Bernie for you.

Greig
21st July 2010, 16:13

Until the teams want him to go then he will stay, the fact the teams fall in under Bernie everytime tells it's own story don't you think? He makes them money, money to keep them and the sport going :-) what would change if Bernie goes? Ticket cost is up to the circuit not Bernie for what its worth, and F1 has a worldwide audience mainly free to air thanks to Bernie.

In what ways would you like to see F1 evolve?

hakanabi
21st July 2010, 17:30
Monaco could get the axe? Doubt it. I Doubt Bernie will ever die too. Both seem immortal.

You made me laugh big Time MATE!!!
:lol:lol:lol:lol

Rob
21st July 2010, 19:04
Until the teams want him to go then he will stay, the fact the teams fall in under Bernie everytime tells it's own story don't you think? He makes them money, money to keep them and the sport going :-) what would change if Bernie goes? Ticket cost is up to the circuit not Bernie for what its worth, and F1 has a worldwide audience mainly free to air thanks to Bernie.

In what ways would you like to see F1 evolve?

The circuits have to charge silly prices, so get (try make) money back from the hosting fee. The only reason they are so high and we keep going to boring goverment funded tracks, is CVC's debt, when they bought the F1 commercial rights. Hell of alot of money go out of the sport to pay that off.

Dont get me wrong, Bernie has done so so much for F1 over the MANY years. But he got stop thinking money. Yeah money important, so are we the fans. Aint we???

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 20:26
The circuits have to charge silly prices, so get (try make) money back from the hosting fee. The only reason they are so high and we keep going to boring goverment funded tracks, is CVC's debt, when they bought the F1 commercial rights. Hell of alot of money go out of the sport to pay that off.

Dont get me wrong, Bernie has done so so much for F1 over the MANY years. But he got stop thinking money. Yeah money important, so are we the fans. Aint we???

Totally agree Rob. The prices at Silverstone have rocketed for next year, and that is because we have to pay for 17 years privilege and the government wont put money in. Fans get GPs in their country and can't afford to go. So much for spectator sport.

Money, Money, Money.

Greig
21st July 2010, 20:34
Everyone is in F1 for money, not just Bernie, and I bet Silverstone makes a nice profit to keep them going all year from their ticket prices, so it can't all be to blame on Bernie.

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 20:53
Everyone is in F1 for money, not just Bernie, and I bet Silverstone makes a nice profit to keep them going all year from their ticket prices, so it can't all be to blame on Bernie.

Richard Phillips is always saying how notoriously slim the margins are for the BGP. Maybe he's kidding us on - or maybe they just coincidentally decided to put up the prices at exactly the same time as they embark on a long term multi-million pound investment to honour the terms of his 17 year deal!

All I know is the prices just went up big time. :-)

Greig
21st July 2010, 20:56
I just looked and they are cheaper at the moment? £149 GA, ain't too bad is it for 3 days of F1? Prob get a ticket at Chelsea for 90 mins of footy for that price ;-)

If it's so tough on Silverstone to host it then why were they so keen not to lose it in the first place, and then so keen to sign a 17 year deal, clearly there is major benefits for them to host the GP, probably money ;-)

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 21:00
They went up :-)

Greig
21st July 2010, 21:02
Not massively, and the grandstands are pretty much the same price as this year if you buy now, still £149 GA is not pushing fans away really is it?

Why did they sign a 17 year deal if there was no profit in it?

Suzie
21st July 2010, 21:15
Because they know that sooner or later I will return to Silverstone and leave with armfuls of expensive merch.

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 21:22
Not massively, and the grandstands are pretty much the same price as this year if you buy now, still £149 GA is not pushing fans away really is it?

Why did they sign a 17 year deal if there was no profit in it?

slim margins are better than no profits at all :-)

Greig
21st July 2010, 21:23
:lol Suzie

Greig
21st July 2010, 21:23
slim margins are better than no profits at all :-)

And do they release their finances?

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 21:26
And do they release their finances?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8317977.stm

Greig
21st July 2010, 21:28
Slim then :-D and that's after their members take however much they get paid :-)

Tifosi
21st July 2010, 21:39
Slim then :-D and that's after their members take however much they get paid :-)

tbh I don't care what the ratio of Bernie bung to Damon Hill beard trimmer is, it's still about money at the end of the day.

Ste
21st July 2010, 22:02
I think the GA prices have risen slightly, I'm sure they were £90 last year, or maybe '08. Grandstand prices didn't fluctuate much though. I think Luffield covered was the same price as last year.

F1 is an expensive sport to follow, but I will still pay it because it's what I love. I don't really think they will alienate any fans, the attendance was another record this year, over 120,000 people there on race day alone. Which is more than MotoGP had for the entire weekend. It was utterly rammed.

[Edit] Saying that, Arena B, where I sat (now VillageB) has risen by £19. Still, I would pay it.

Greig
21st July 2010, 22:06
http://www.f1-gp.info/silverstone-tickets/

Ste
21st July 2010, 22:10
http://www.f1-gp.info/silverstone-tickets/

Some of those prices must be wrong - or they charge more through that website than on the Silverstone website itself. Luffield definitely wan't as much as is listed there and I don't remember club Silverstone being that expensive either.

Either way, the prices fluctuate up or down from year to year. Now they've just spent millions on the circuit, it wouldn't surprise me if they rose slightly, or if they went down because they can take more revenue from the increased capacity.

As I said though, for people who actually care about F1, a slight rise isn't going to put them off and most of the "I've been supporting Lewis for at least 2 weeks" Hamilton fanclub probably buy General Admission anyway.

Glad I don't have a family though, imagine paying for a family of 3 or 4 to go for a weekend in a good grandstand. That's where it starts getting more difficult.

Suzie
21st July 2010, 22:16
Not difficult at all - sod the family.
I would pay anything but then I have no sense :-D

Greig
21st July 2010, 22:29
Some of those prices must be wrong - or they charge more through that website than on the Silverstone website itself. Luffield definitely wan't as much as is listed there and I don't remember club Silverstone being that expensive either.

It's platinum plus price on there, which I guess is more for whatever that is LOL, Club Silverstone is £400 for next year if buy now, will increase nearer the time I guess :-)

Ste
21st July 2010, 22:44
It's platinum plus price on there, which I guess is more for whatever that is LOL, Club Silverstone is £400 for next year if buy now, will increase nearer the time I guess :-)

Ah that makes sense then. Yea, platinum probably gets you a free lanyard with your tickets or something. :lol

Greig
21st July 2010, 22:47
Or you can just sneak into the Club Silverstone stand via the other stairway :-D

Ste
21st July 2010, 23:11
Or you can just sneak into the Club Silverstone stand via the other stairway :-D

:lol Yea, I think we ended up in Club Silverstone didn't we?

straycat
22nd July 2010, 23:41
monaco isnt always the most exciting race but it is a very big part of f1. i personally dont really get excited about the rich and famous and the diamonds in the helmets, all of that is a bit silly to me... but it is a race that many fans enjoy quite a bit and for that reason it should remain on the calender.
however, if he ever dumps Spa...thats another matter... !*#!

Katu
28th July 2010, 16:59
just a little more than week goes by and that's what happens

The Monaco Grand Prix has secured a new 10-year deal to remain on the Formula 1 calendar and will return to its late-May slot on the 2011 schedule.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85619

Rob
28th July 2010, 18:45
great news for Monaco and Formula 1