PDA

View Full Version : Domenicali 'hurt' by Ferrari 'disarray' claims

vcs316
20th July 2010, 08:47
After a run of poor results for the Maranello based team, Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali says he wants to see a "strong reaction" this weekend at Hockenheim.

"Whoever does not believe we can win the world championship should find another job," he insisted.

Domenicali said abandoning the 2010 car to focus on its successor is not yet a consideration.

"Before making calculations we must take home podiums and victories," he said in an interview with La Stampa. "There is a tide of points at stake."

Domenicali said he can understand some recent criticism of Ferrari, but reveals he was "hurt" when it was suggested the team is in "disarray".

One criticism is that while Red Bull pioneered the blown diffuser and McLaren the F-duct, Ferrari has recently been light on innovation.

"We have done less visible things: the wheels, some aerodynamic. But I do accept the criticism: some striking solutions have come out."

He defended the arguably erratic performances so far of team newcomer Fernando Alonso.

"Driving for Ferrari has a different weight. Some say that once you are in the car it is all the same, which is absolutely not true: the pressures on our team are not comparable to the other teams, Red Bull, McLaren or Mercedes."

Domenicali believes Ferrari is simply in a period of "renewal".

"To win, you need to go through those periods. After a wonderful time, the basic rules have changed: at first everything was unlimited but now you must think about budgets and simulations.

"Imagine that tomorrow all football is played on synthetic grass; the sport is the same, but the preparation, the materials, the techniques would all change."

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=378398

Tifosi
20th July 2010, 09:48
He defended the arguably erratic performances so far of team newcomer Fernando Alonso.

"Driving for Ferrari has a different weight. Some say that once you are in the car it is all the same, which is absolutely not true: the pressures on our team are not comparable to the other teams, Red Bull, McLaren or Mercedes." So as well as saying "Yes, we have been behind on innovation", is he also saying "the pressure of driving a Ferrari is understandibly compromising Alonso's performance"? , because that's how that read to me :-s

I hope that's taken out of context in that case!

mad_ani
20th July 2010, 10:07
The change in budget did suit some smaller teams like RBR better.. Future plans will reduce the number of personnel to around 400 or less, which would again be in the benefit of smaller teams. I think Ferrari have to plan ahead and prepare for these situations.

Some time back we heard Alonso saying that F1 is becoming stale, and now we hear SD cry out saying innovations have not come out..

The rules are the same for all competitors and some have adapted faster than us..We have been in F1 for so long and we must certainly know how to make the best of these situations and rise up faster than other teams.

I hope we do really well in the next few races and show the potential of the F10. This is no excuse by saying " renewal". Development time in f1 is very short and we should do really well soon :-)

Hornet
20th July 2010, 13:07
I prefer more freedom to teams. Let the team run however they see fit. Let them use whatever resources they they think is necessary.

Different people/team/organization works in different ways. Albert Einstein figure out the universe by just pondering about the behavior of light in his patent office, while other scientist relies on multi billion dollar particle accelerator to study their ideas. Whatever float their boats, its the end result that matters.

And I dislike having luck factoring in F1, where if you get it right from the beginning, you will do well the entire season, and if you don't, tough luck. No testing session to turn things around.

durden
20th July 2010, 13:44
So as well as saying "Yes, we have been behind on innovation", is he also saying "the pressure of driving a Ferrari is understandibly compromising Alonso's performance"? , because that's how that read to me :-s

I hope that's taken out of context in that case!

I think what he is saying is that team Ferrari with all of it's history and success, the pressure is greater. You feel great pressure to be as successful as your predecessors; driver, mechanic, engineer, everyone.

Tony
20th July 2010, 14:25
Both Ferrari and its drivers have made considerable mistakes this year.... this season is cursed no matter what he says....

killer
21st July 2010, 02:15
Both Ferrari and its drivers have made considerable mistakes this year.... this season is cursed no matter what he says....

I think what takes the cake is the nature of the mistakes. We're usually either caught with our hands in the cookie jar or with our pants down--I've always said you can't win everything, but what's really frustrating is when you look like you're trying to lose. Having said all this I'm still hopeful for a strong second half of the season; we may not get a title, but it would be great to get momentum as we move forward.

Tony
21st July 2010, 03:09
I think what takes the cake is the nature of the mistakes. We're usually either caught with our hands in the cookie jar or with our pants down--I've always said you can't win everything, but what's really frustrating is when you look like you're trying to lose. Having said all this I'm still hopeful for a strong second half of the season; we may not get a title, but it would be great to get momentum as we move forward.

I have a feeling that a management reshuffle is going to happen at the end of this season.... way too many mistakes have happened this year....

mad_ani
21st July 2010, 06:00
Given the fact that Ferrari have been here the longest, they must be well prepared to handle the pressures at all levels. At the end of the day, Anyone involved with the job should hopefully do it well..

Who else is in line to take over SD...if there is a management reshuffle at all???Chris Dyer...

And I believe Pat Fry has been working for us for a month with us...Have we seen him in Ferrari colors yet??

killer
21st July 2010, 08:27
I have a feeling that a management reshuffle is going to happen at the end of this season.... way too many mistakes have happened this year....

I'm actually not sure how I'd react if that happens, to be honest:

1. The racing team leadership were asked to fill some very big shoes, but then this is Ferrari--one would think plans of plans were made for the transition.
2. There was the 2007 WDC, but then 2006 was an arguably relatively "stable" year for the team hence, a stable jump off point was provided. You can also consider we won it as much as someone else lost it.

On the flip side:

1. The racing team leadership were asked to fill some very big shoes, perhaps it will need more than 3 and a half seasons to fill in those shoes properly.
2. There was the 2007 WDC.

Maybe the memory of Silverstone is still fresh but if the Alonso incident is any indication of how the team currently is then it may be time to admit that no amount of downforce or straightline speed will make us winners again soon.

Suzie
21st July 2010, 19:37
On the flip side:

1. The racing team leadership were asked to fill some very big shoes, perhaps it will need more than 3 and a half seasons to fill in those shoes properly.

Indeed. There was Luca Baldisseri's move, Dyer's change of role and Massimo Rivola brought in also. A lot of changes.