PDA

View Full Version : Whitmarsh to hold private Ferrari talks

vcs316
26th July 2010, 09:51
McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh plans to hold private talks with Ferrari to let them know his views on the team orders controversy that rocked the German Grand Prix.

Ferrari was fined $100,000 and could face further sanctions from the FIA's World Motor Sport Council for illegally using team orders to help Fernando Alonso take victory at Hockenheim on Sunday.

Although Ferrari is adamant that it did nothing wrong, the Maranello team's actions have caused a wave of outrage from fans and the media worldwide.

And although Ferrari's decision to hand Alonso the win in Germany has added a fresh dynamic to the world title fight, Whitmarsh said he did not wish to get drawn into a public slanging match.

"I don't want to get drawn into it," explained Whitmarsh. "I have my own private views on it. They were quicker than us today; they got a 1-2, but perhaps in a different order from that which people may have thought was right.

"I will give my private views to Ferrari, but I don't want to go on record and express those views."

And despite Ferrari showing itself so willing to throw its support behind one driver, Whitmarsh has promised his drivers that they will remain free to race.

"You can go back to the late 90s and all sorts of times when things have happened - but we decide to race. I think having our drivers racing, in the longer term, is a healthy thing to do for this team.

"That is my decision and that is what we want to do. Others do what they want to do, and it is for the FIA and Ferrari to determine what they think is right. We were racing our two guys until the end of the race."

He added: "All I know is the same as you. I heard what I heard, I saw what I saw, but it is for others to comment on.

"Ferrari were quick and we did what we could - and they raced how they raced. That was not a new approach from Ferrari, was it?"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85573

Greig
26th July 2010, 09:56
"but we decide to race. I think having our drivers racing, in the longer term, is a healthy thing to do for this team."

Liar, we heard your team radio at Turkey, hopefully Ferrari don't answer your call :-)

Fiondella
26th July 2010, 09:58
exactly

LAROSA SpA
26th July 2010, 10:26
Im so sick of McLarens hypocrisy, Stefano should tell him were to stick his opinion

Curbs
26th July 2010, 10:33
Stefano could ask him if they have solved their fuelissues from Turkey? :-D

Curbs
26th July 2010, 10:34
And look at 1:46 in this clip. Ring any bells?
Kovalainen - Hamilton Germany 2008...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5GTlupZuEI&feature=related

theodorus8864
26th July 2010, 10:41
Perhaps Whitmarsh-mallow will share some tips on "How to give team orders without losing your face". Boys and gals, write it down!!! :lol

Kingdom Hearts
26th July 2010, 10:41
This people, Whitmarsh, Horner.... they are hypocrites, they do the same thing over and over and still have the guts to go against Ferrari. Pack of loosers.

RED
26th July 2010, 10:49
Liar, we heard your team radio at Turkey, hopefully Ferrari don't answer your call :-)

:clap

shostak
26th July 2010, 10:56
McLaren insists Button and Hamilton have no orders

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh has refused to comment on the Ferrari team orders scandal but insists the same thing would not have happened at McLaren under his watch.

At the German Grand Prix the stewards fined Ferrari for implementing team orders and it could face further punishment when the issue is put before the FIA World Motor Sport Council. Whitmarsh said McLaren would never have ordered its drivers to swap positions under the same circumstances.

"You can go back to the late 90s and all sorts of times when things have happened - but we decide to race," he told Autosport. "I think having our drivers racing, in the longer term, is a healthy thing to do for this team.

"That is my decision and that is what we want to do. Others do what they want to do, and it is for the FIA and Ferrari to determine what they think is right. We were racing our two guys until the end of the race."

He said he did not want to comment publically on the issue.

"I don't want to get drawn into it," he added. "I have my own private views on it. They were quicker than us today; they got a 1-2, but perhaps in a different order from that which people may have thought was right. I will give my private views to Ferrari, but I don't want to go on record and express those views.

"All I know is the same as you. I heard what I heard, I saw what I saw, but it is for others to comment on. Ferrari were quick and we did what we could - and they raced how they raced. That was not a new approach from Ferrari, was it?"

http://www.espn.co.uk/formula1/sport/story/36046.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta

dfunk257
26th July 2010, 11:13
what a load of crap! If Mcalren had no team orders at all, then Jenson wouldve been all over pretty boy Hamilton yesterday. But he was told to preserve the engine, please, what a load of crap!

Tech_Skill
26th July 2010, 11:26
I just spoke to Stefano and told him Witmarsh was gonna call him to discuss team orders.

Stefano's now diverted his phone to voicemail.

paneristi
26th July 2010, 11:32
tell the camp to watch out for spy camera..

FFFerrari
26th July 2010, 11:33
'I've never heard a driver talk such bull****,' he said of Alonso. 'He has no character. This was the most stupid thing I have ever seen from Ferrari. Why did they do it? They did not need to because the championship is alive for another eight races. Why could Massa not have a chance to win, a year since he had the accident that could have cost his life?'

arunkshrestha
26th July 2010, 11:33
what a load of crap! If Mcalren had no team orders at all, then Jenson wouldve been all over pretty boy Hamilton yesterday. But he was told to preserve the engine, please, what a load of crap!

erm it was Hamilton was was told to save fuel, Button recieved no such instructions. But of course Button was all over Hamilton, so much so that he ran wide at Turn 1 trying to keep up. :D

Greig
26th July 2010, 11:37
erm it was Hamilton was was told to save fuel, Button recieved no such instructions. But of course Button was all over Hamilton, so much so that he ran wide at Turn 1 trying to keep up. :D

LOL you clearly never watched the race :-) I suggest you review it and hear the radio to Jenson, and off course the McLaren cover up PR swung into action after the race :-)

As a light drizzle started, the McLaren team mate battled for the lead themselves, and with nine laps to go Button got a run on Hamilton into turn 12. Hamilton held the inside line but the two ran side-by-side, and Button had the line into turn 13 and took the lead.

It didn't last long though as Hamilton made a run on the front straight and retook the lead into turn 1. After that McLaren were on the radio to their drivers urging them that their fuel consumption was tight and that they should conserve fuel.

arunkshrestha
26th July 2010, 11:39
LOL you clearly never watched the race :-) I suggest you review it and hear the radio to Jenson, and off course the McLaren cover up PR swung into action after the race :-)

Sorry dfunk and I were talking about yesterday.

Greig
26th July 2010, 11:41
Sorry dfunk and I were talking about yesterday.

Same thing happened yesterday, the team orders in coded messages at McLaren :-)

FFFerrari
26th July 2010, 11:42
Conserve fuel = hold positions in Macca-speak

arunkshrestha
26th July 2010, 11:43
Same thing happened yesterday, the team orders in coded messages at McLaren :-)

From what we've heard it was only Hamilton who was told to conserve fuel. If button was given the same order then we'd have heard it as all radio is public now. And it was obvious Button was pushing to keep up as he went off at turn 1.

Hermann
26th July 2010, 11:43
Boy the british press is over the moon about this. What a food for the tabloids. If you want to have a look: the usual suspects, Daily Mail, The Sun, Telegraph, Guardian (though their comments are a bit more moderate)...

Daily Mail says: 'F1 is full of cheats'. Wow. What took them so long to find this out? And how come they only come out with this now? I have seen a lot of cheating from the beginning of the season, though not from Ferrari.

Lauda is a well- known Alonso- hater. I have no idea why RTL is keeping him, he talks a lot of crap most of the time, but for the real insults, he will always stick to Fernando.

Fiondella
26th July 2010, 11:50
Boy the british press is over the moon about this. What a food for the tabloids. If you want to have a look: the usual suspects, Daily Mail, The Sun, Telegraph, Guardian (though their comments are a bit more moderate)...

Daily Mail says: 'F1 is full of cheats'. Wow. What took them so long to find this out? And how come they only come out with this now? I have seen a lot of cheating from the beginning of the season, though not from Ferrari.

Lauda is a well- known Alonso- hater. I have no idea why RTL is keeping him, he talks a lot of crap most of the time, but for the real insults, he will always stick to Fernando.

Well the Beeb have Eddie "Num-nuts" Jordon. Who do you think might the win the oustanding reporting sensationilsm contribution to F1 award?

Hermann
26th July 2010, 11:52
Well the Beeb have Eddie "Num-nuts" Jordon. Who do you think might the win the oustanding reporting sensationilsm contribution to F1 award?

Lauda, by far.

Hermann
26th July 2010, 11:59
In Germany 2008, Heikki was told over the team radio 'Hamilton is 2 seconds faster than you'. (I guess we all remember who won the WDC that year). He let Hamilton pass him. After the race, Heikki said he did it 'for the good of the team, and Hamilton was faster'.

The very same press called it 'a gentleman maneuver'.

goferrarigo
26th July 2010, 12:00
What a hypocrite. It just makes me laugh when it says that Whitmarsh has promised his drivers that they will remain free to race. :rotfl

Fiondella
26th July 2010, 12:07
What a hypocrite. It just makes me laugh when it says that Whitmarsh has promised his drivers that they will remain free to race. :rotfl

Macca have always been good at covering their cheating. However, when it comes to Team Orders I think they have every right to do it. The rule stinks and needs to be dropped

Hornet
26th July 2010, 12:09
Perhaps Whitmarsh-mallow will share some tips on "How to give team orders without losing your face". Boys and gals, write it down!!! :lol
:lol

'I've never heard a driver talk such bull****,' he said of Alonso. 'He has no character. This was the most stupid thing I have ever seen from Ferrari. Why did they do it? They did not need to because the championship is alive for another eight races. Why could Massa not have a chance to win, a year since he had the accident that could have cost his life?'
Guess he has never heard himself talking :-G

Fiondella
26th July 2010, 12:28
What About Eddie JawDrop comments :

"Absolutely disgusting. Ferrari should be disqualified"
Eddie Jordan, the former team owner and now BBC pundit who opined that Ferrari's tactics constituted "theft"
"They stole from us the chance of having a wheel-to-wheel contest between the drivers," Jordan said. "For me it is cheating and these two cars should be excluded."

Classic case of bridgestone in mouth disease from Eddie. Obviously loving the sound of his own voice.

Hermann
26th July 2010, 12:37
For me, the sudden 'outcry' from the british side of F1 is as hypocritical as it can get. Unfortunately, they have a big influence in the F1 circus. But maybe, there will come something good out of it; you never know. The next time they will not be able to call it a 'gentleman maneuver' just because a british team did it.

How can F1 be a 'team sport' when 'team orders' are declared illegal? And how can they control this? They obviously can't, because it happens all the time.

Who put his money on Massa lost it. Who put his money on Hamilton in 2007 lost it as well. Not to talk about those who put their money on Alonso the same year. No outcry at that time? Why not? Maybe because of 'spygate'. And they were quite busy with putting all the blame on Fernando and make him look the devil incarnated in everything that happenend at Macca that year.

While Bernie must be loving all this, it opens up more and more eyes of the F1 watchers that races, titles and everything in F1 is indeed 'manipulated' to a certain degree. And what else is new?

F1 has gone into self- destruction mode. While the audience becomes bigger because the masses love the scandals, inside the 'sport' things are getting serious.

And while the press is throwing all kinds of mud at Ferrari, the question remains: how is it possible to make F1 a more 'honest sport' when all the efforts of Bernie, FOM, FIA, and the teams, are going into the direction of making F1 'more entertaining'?

Tech_Skill
26th July 2010, 12:40
What About Eddie JawDrop comments :

"Absolutely disgusting. Ferrari should be disqualified"
Eddie Jordan, the former team owner and now BBC pundit who opined that Ferrari's tactics constituted "theft"
"They stole from us the chance of having a wheel-to-wheel contest between the drivers," Jordan said. "For me it is cheating and these two cars should be excluded."

Classic case of bridgestone in mouth disease from Eddie. Obviously loving the sound of his own voice.

The same Eddie Jordan who stopped Ralf Schumacher overtaking Damon Hill in Spa.

Eddie Jordan and Jonathan Legard are so bad, they make James Allen look impartial.

Fiondella
26th July 2010, 12:43
100,000 is superficial. How can this nonsense rule be taken too seriously? In 2002 they were fined 1,000,000 for improper conduct on the podium. Get rid of the rule or see more adept forms of cheating the rule in the future

Phantom
26th July 2010, 12:44
Macca have always been good at covering their cheating. However, when it comes to Team Orders I think they have every right to do it. The rule stinks and needs to be dropped

When Mcliar lie often enough, it will sound like the truth and over time, one will not be able to tell the difference between a lie and a truth.

sav_pap
26th July 2010, 13:21
Why private??? Let us hear what he has to say.

sav_pap
26th July 2010, 13:23
Why in private. Let us hear what he has to say. F1 is full of crap rules...

Tech_Skill
26th July 2010, 13:39
Witmarsh has called Stefano and is on hold, for those who dont know, this is stefano's Voicemail message.

"Hello and Welcome to Ferrari F1, by far the marquee team in F1.

If you want to drive for Ferrari, press 1

If your'e lewis hamilton and you want to drive for Ferrari, please hang up

If your a Mclaren fan who has been affected by the beatings we dished out in 2000-2004, press 2.

If you have found Stolen Ferrari documents and wish to return them, press 3.

For all other enquires, including crying, winging, bitching and lying, please hold your call will be re-directed to someone who doesn't give a toss."

RED
26th July 2010, 13:49
:lol

Hermann
26th July 2010, 14:06
Witmarsh has called Stefano and is on hold, for those who dont know, this is stefano's Voicemail message.

If your a Mclaren fan who has been affected by the beatings we dished out in 2000-2004, press 2.

For all other enquires, including crying, winging, bitching and lying, please hold your call will be re-directed to someone who doesn't give a toss."

LOL :lol:lol:lol

aroutis
26th July 2010, 14:33
I think that Whitmarsh just wants to consult with SD because he wants to know our line of defense in WMSC, he's probably wary of the fact that this is a pandora box ready to be opened, the so called 'coded team orders'... and I doubt teams would like Ferrari to go there.

Nova
26th July 2010, 14:52
Whitemarsh...I will bet, since Ham is leading the wdc, that Button WILL NOT win again this year if Ham is anywhere near the front...Ham is leading in points, so thats that Jense...

Horner...I will bet that Webber will not win again this year if Vettel is still in with a chance....

And Lauda? What the heck is he talking about...still mad at Enzo are ya Nicki??? I think he tarnishes his own reputation everytime he opens his mouth...and Im surprised that he says some of the things he does....

These team bosses are trying to be so righteous when they do the very same thing.....AND if Alonso didnt win that yesterday, both Mac and RB would be laffing their proverbial buttocks off at us for NOT doing it....

They are simply upset because WE WON...and I may add, will do anything they can to get our points taken away....

Ste
26th July 2010, 15:01
Martin Hypocritmarsh.

:roll

Ste
26th July 2010, 15:01

:rotfl

Nova
26th July 2010, 15:15

:thumb

straycat
26th July 2010, 15:19
yes, turkey was a bit obvious. whitmarsh needs to clean his own home and horner needs to concentrate on business at hand which is selling soda pop.

Brakefade
26th July 2010, 15:48
Ferrari should tell him to **** off.

mandzipop
26th July 2010, 15:59
Whitmarsh is the head of FOTA. Ferrari need the help of FOTA in this matter. To calm it down, FOTA need to have a set of proposals that help towards any future re-occurence, not just for Ferrari, but for every team. Done in the right way, the WMSC might not come down on Ferrari as heavily as they have the potential to do. That is why Whitmarsh needs to speak to Stefano, and it is essential that Stefano speaks to him.

ferrari4life
26th July 2010, 16:02
I think withmarsh is probably on our side. he knows he will have this situation in the future he is no idiot.

NJB13
26th July 2010, 17:12

Love it

NJB13
26th July 2010, 17:16
Martin Whitewash-mart wants to make himself look good with the press AND back us to the hilt privately cause he's knows in a real court - which is where it will end up if this goes any further as far as Ferrari is concerned - he probably has far more to loose than anyone else.
No team rorts this rule more that McCheater

epiclyaddicted
26th July 2010, 20:24
Whitmarsh: "Hello Stefano, listen, that whole team order thing... it was a bit too messy in Germany. You should learn from us! Say something like, 'Felipe, fuel is critical', like we say to Jenson every time he has a chance of beating Lewis. That way, the press will never suspect. And we're all happy."

Domenicali: "So basically, you are saying that we are not as good in cheating as you are?" :-O

Whitmarsh: "Of course, we are nicknamed McScums for a reason, didn't you know that?"

Ant Raikkonen
27th July 2010, 10:40

:rotfl