PDA

View Full Version : Mclaren at it AGAIN- This time it's the embodiment of honesty....Witmarsh.

Tech_Skill
27th July 2010, 10:58
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85589

McLaren happy to let its drivers race

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 09:22 GMT

Martin WhitmarshMcLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh says he would rather see his outfit lose a championship than impose team orders to favour one of his drivers.

As the controversy over Ferrari's tactics in the German Grand Prix shows no sign of dying down, Whitmarsh has made it clear that he reckons how a team wins is more important than it winning.

"If you win against the odds it is slightly more enjoyable," said Whitmarsh, who has vowed to save his views on what Ferrari did at Hockenheim for a private meeting with Maranello chiefs.

"If you win when you have swayed it to your advantage by cheating or doing something unsporting you wouldn't feel so good. When Mika [Hakkinen] was beating Michael [Schumacher], that was a pretty good feeling."

Whitmarsh is well aware that McLaren effectively lost the 2007 world championship because it allowed Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso to take points off each other over the course of the season, rather than install one of them as number one.

However, he says there are no regrets about the policy McLaren adopts, and thinks that sportsmanlike behaviour is the primary concern.

"We did that [treated drivers equally] in 2007 and we had every reason to be different then," he said. "There were quite a lot of provocations to do something different.

"There is always a bit of you who says we shouldn't have done that, but overall I am proud and I wouldn't be talking about it unless I had some sort of perverse pride in it. It niggles away at you, as it is one that got away, but I know the lengths we went to to be fair."

He added: "During that phase I remember talking to the drivers and their management and saying, 'what a great driver would want to do is look himself in the mirror and say, I have won this world championship on merit and not by the team leaning one way and giving me an advantage.'

"We do desperately want to win but it is about how you win. If you win and you know you have cheated then I don't see how at any stage in your career or post career when you reflect upon it how you can have a feeling of ecstasy."

Greig
27th July 2010, 11:02
LOL Mika that got DC to move over in the opening race of the season? felt good did it Martin....seriously this guy is a joke :-)

2007 when Ron said they were racing against Alonso, treated equal were they Martin?....

Lewis won it without Heikki moving did he Martin? can he look in the mirror today with your words?....you joke!

I hope Ferrari stop this new found respect for this team of liars and cheats...:-)

Tifosi
27th July 2010, 11:03
What a tool! :rotfl

At last, we can start to officially despise Whitmarsh for being RONLIKE! :lol

FFFerrari
27th July 2010, 11:10
Funny that he happens to use 2007 as an example, the only year that they didn't use team orders to fix positions. If they had favoured either driver, that one would have clinched the championship (likely), but they were too busy trying to get out of the spy fiasco to think ahead.

2007 reminds me of the race in Indianapolis where it was found out after the race from the team radio discussions that Alonso, who tried to pass Hamilton mid-race (and didn't succeed) asked the team to let him pass Lewis 'cause he was faster'. They denied this request and Fernando made a mad pass near the pit wall to protest against this. Obviously it was a strange request since Hamilton at that moment was 6 points ahead of him in the WDC :-D

BigRedOne
27th July 2010, 11:23
What a tool! :rotfl

At last, we can start to officially despise Whitmarsh for being RONLIKE! :lol

Yep. I was hoping things would get better with Ron gone, but I guess not. Plus, I don't think it's coincidental that Ron's been lurking around these days.

FFFerrari
27th July 2010, 11:25
Yep. I was hoping things would get better with Ron gone, but I guess not. Plus, I don't think it's coincidental that Ron's been lurking around these days.

They need Ron around to give hugs to Lewis after bad races :lol

BigRedOne
27th July 2010, 11:28

I think he gives him a little more than just hugs!!:-E:lol

Tifosi
27th July 2010, 11:28

and good ones too. Remember Turkey this year. Lewis had a face like a slapped botty and he won the race :lol

Fiondella
27th July 2010, 11:41
Ahh the good old days are back, quite refreshing really. :rotfl at Twitmarsh

Hermann
27th July 2010, 11:44
Not so long ago Whitmarsh said he regrets how they behaved with Fernando back in 2007. I didn't believe that either. I suppose RD's image coach is still around feeding him with the 'right' things for the press at the 'right' time.

But the level of hypocrisy is asthonishing. They never cease to amaze me.

theodorus8864
27th July 2010, 11:44
Martin... oh Martin. You always have the way to entertain us. LOL!~ Keep going, keep going. How bout a double jump? ball catching? or blowing some trumpets? :-D

Fiondella
27th July 2010, 11:57
Ron and Martin made from the same mould really. McLaren are climbing aboard the "WE Are too Honest Campaign and How to Win With Dignity". In a bid to be the top F1 brand McLaren aim inflict maximum negative PR against the enemy, eh Martin?

JRX164
27th July 2010, 12:04
A bit stupid to compare Hakkinen and Schumacher. I can't remember them being team members at McLaren.
But what it proves is that McLaren is not a team but a bunch of lone cowboys. Or a bunch of liars.

crewskas
27th July 2010, 12:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHd8n1D4wkM&feature=player_embedded

:oops

Hermann
27th July 2010, 12:20
Muahaha...good old times! Looks like the british commentators did not have their heads as deep in McLarens backside as they have it now.

Tifosi
27th July 2010, 12:47
"Mixture 5 Heikki..... mixture 5!" :roll

Neno
27th July 2010, 13:08
I remember 2007, after Monaco race hamilton complained that his car was havier than Alonsos...and turned out that he had fuel in the car for 5 more laps....strange!!! Mclaren are definition for team orders, but at least they dont do it so obviously as we did......;-)

Red Rocket
27th July 2010, 13:44
Statements like this have a way of coming back to haunt one. Theoretically, I agree with Martin, however, if Mclaren were in the same situation as Ferrari is with 2 drivers with significant point difference what would he do?

Brakefade
27th July 2010, 15:37
I can't wait till this championship gets down to the wire. I can almost see Horner and Martin with their feet in their mouths. :-P

xpman
27th July 2010, 15:41
How I miss Ron lol

Ferrarichamp
27th July 2010, 16:31
Martin Whitewash.

Tifosi
27th July 2010, 16:43
They clearly know that they are on the rails at the moment and it is very telling that they have had to resort to this type of blatant hypocrisy to try and detract from the fact that they've blown their blown diffuser and that they may have just f-duct their chances of winning this season after all. :-D

ferrari4life
27th July 2010, 17:24
but its ok for them to steal information from other teams and then deny it..and its ok for them to lie and then deny it even when their radio commentary showed otherwise...strange group of people they are...
I don't believe there are true McLaren fans there are just Ferrari haters.

Greig
27th July 2010, 17:40
Heikki also move for Lewis at Silverstone 2008, lifted off to let him pass into Stowe I think, moved right off the line to make it easier for him, maybe Martin would like to tell Lewis he has cheated his way to the title :-)

Fiondella
27th July 2010, 17:48
Shocking Really. All this dirty washing. I wonder If Martin wears white socks and white pants (yellow fronted brown backs) :lol

Rob
27th July 2010, 17:50
Heikki also move for Lewis at Silverstone 2008, lifted off to let him pass into Stowe I think, moved right off the line to make it easier for him, maybe Martin would like to tell Lewis he has cheated his way to the title :-)

was about to write that mate!! :-D what a joke the whole team are, Martin saying never use them and Lewis saying they bad aswell, to easily forgotten when you just been totaly dominated. They will use teamorders later in year when Lewis has alot bigger point gap to Button.

Mclaren= team orders

Italian Spirit
27th July 2010, 18:04
Pity, after Ron I nearly started liking Martin.
Must be in the air in Woking... :-s

SilverSpeed
27th July 2010, 20:24
I lolled :lol

aroutis
27th July 2010, 20:31
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ronspeak.php

:p

Phantom
27th July 2010, 23:52
I suppose Martin finds it more etically correct to steal Ferrari's 2007 info than team orders :roll

killer
28th July 2010, 00:04
They clearly know that they are on the rails at the moment and it is very telling that they have had to resort to this type of blatant hypocrisy to try and detract from the fact that they've blown their blown diffuser and that they may have just f-duct their chances of winning this season after all. :-D

Yeah mate from all this posturing it's a bit certain they were more than rattled by our performance last weekend.

Ant Raikkonen
28th July 2010, 09:44

Indeed :thumb

God, I used to think my Mika was genuinely head & shoulders above DC :-!
Youth is wasted on the young......:oops