PDA

View Full Version : A very quick, but interesting comparison

Ste
4th August 2010, 11:09
I doubt I could find one person that likes Jonathan Legard. Whether it's his absurd comments, lack of knowledge or the time it takes for him to notice when something has happened.

Let's take a look at this comparison video between Legard and Croft. Commentating on the end of the Turkish Grand Prix qualifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikasr6UkqY8

Get your act together, BBC, and switch these guys around - or something!

goferrarigo
4th August 2010, 11:18
some of the things he talks about are so funny. Saying Webber was going fastest because he was going green in a sector. :rotfl

Ste
4th August 2010, 11:22
Listen at the end as well when he's talking about Rosberg, saying he could overtake Schumacher, he's nearly into T1 by this point and Brundle has to tell him. Ridiculous man!

Ant Raikkonen
4th August 2010, 11:29
I don't mind Legard, in fact i prefer him to Croft.

Something about Croft just grates me, i think it's his delivery, his cringeworthy puns aswell. I find him very partridge-esque & he ain't meant to be, that's the thing. I actually love Partridge as a character.

Like i say, delivery style - the pronounciation of Sutil (Soodle) and better (bedder) just annoys me.
Sounds fake - it's like an adopted contrived radio style, for example and that's one of my pet hates.

They both make mistakes in one way shape or form, or perhaps not?

There's a choice isn't there, as to which commetary feed you can chose in quali/races?
My choice is always the main feed.

Ste
4th August 2010, 11:34
I don't mind Legard, in fact i prefer him to Croft.
Something about Croft just grates me, i think it's his delivery, his cringeworthy puns aswell. I find him very partridge-esque (and he ain't meant to be, i actually love Partridge as a character)

They both make mistakes in one way shape or form.

There's a choice isn't there, as to which commetary feed you can chose in quali/races? My choice is always the main feed.
There is a choice, but I simply can't turn off BBC1 because of Brundle. I love his insight and humour, he's ace.

I agree that Crofty comes out with some strange things as well, but that video for me really highlights it. I don't feel gripped listening to Legard, but with Croft it actually feels a bit tense and exciting. I don't want to feel like I'm being talked to sleep when I'm watching our boys go for pole.

Ant Raikkonen
4th August 2010, 11:49
I feel "gripped" by what's happening on the race-track & my interpretation of it, not by how it's being described to me.

Ste
4th August 2010, 11:50
I feel "gripped" by what's happening on the race-track & my interpretation of it, not by how it's being described to me.

Think of the viewers who don't know what is going on though...all those Lewis 'I've been supporting him for 2 weeks" Hamilton fans for example.

LAROSA SpA
4th August 2010, 16:49
If Im watching the race with friends we make our own commentary anyway :-D

But seeing how most races are on at 10pm on a Sunday night I'm usually sitting on the couch with volume down as everyone else heads to bed :lol

Rob
4th August 2010, 19:38
Dont really hav emain feed commentry on anymore. Legard annoys me so much. It shame cos Brundle i like alot. He doesnt seem to let Brundle get in and talk about the race or what the cars are doing. Crofty and Davidson work really well together. Crofty say some strange stuff, but Ant corrects him and they both can talk about the battles further down the field and the complexity of the race. Plus they had Karun in boot with them in Hockenheim, he really knows his stuff.

Tifosi
4th August 2010, 21:09
Dont really hav emain feed commentry on anymore. Legard annoys me so much. It shame cos Brundle i like alot. He doesnt seem to let Brundle get in and talk about the race or what the cars are doing. Crofty and Davidson work really well together. Crofty say some strange stuff, but Ant corrects him and they both can talk about the battles further down the field and the complexity of the race. Plus they had Karun in boot with them in Hockenheim, he really knows his stuff.

Karun is cool. :thumb They all work very well as a team.

Crofty can be a bit too falsely jocular I agree but he's 5000% better than Legard who's abilty to dumb it down yet remain stilted and out of his depth remains unparalleled in motorsport commentary IMO. You can also never underestimate the importance of being kept up-to-date with the goings on at Trent Bridge in-between either ;-)

996 GT1 Lover
5th August 2010, 00:40
Legard is too pro-British drivers. I understand it's the BBC, but they're supposed to be unbiased. I swear he'd marry Hamilton if he could.

Brakefade
5th August 2010, 01:07
You guys pay for this with your TV license fee (:lol), shouldn't the BBC have some sort way of listening to the people that pay them.

2010hazzah
5th August 2010, 04:42
Don't like the BBC commentary team. Not one bit. Boring. Have to wait till 10pm for the race and they've put me to sleep a couple of times. Thank God for DVD recorders so I can watch it later - muted. The sorry lack of passion, flare and excitement are catered for with tonnes of bias towards Mac/Ham/But...and good luck to them. No choice though. Gotta watch coz I love F1. GO FERR-NANDO !!

hudson77
8th August 2010, 19:40
Only ever listened to Croft in practice, but watching that video may sway me in the future. Reminded me alot of Murray Walker in a way. Its like his exitement and passion gets your own going. Just wish it was a Ferrari they were commenting on! :-s

RockyRaccoon
8th August 2010, 22:35
Legard is really really terrible!! I usually watch the race with company and we find the Legardisms actually add some entertainment when the on track action is a little dull. He is awful whenever you want a commentator who can actually commentate though!

I think Brundle is a great commentator and I don't always have access to a red button so 5 live commentary during the race isn't really an option. BBC need to change the commentators, it's just not right that they don't listen to their license payers opinions!

ali355
9th August 2010, 09:48
Get your act together, BBC, and switch these guys around - or something!

Lets ask Rob Smedley what he thinks...

Rishu
9th August 2010, 09:55
Lets ask Rob Smedley what he thinks...

:rotfl

Ant Raikkonen
9th August 2010, 11:21
:lol Good one Ali :thumb