PDA

View Full Version : New F1 Blog - EverythingF1

Ste
10th August 2010, 20:17
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6633/ef1.png

Hey all,

First off, thanks very much to Greig who is allowing me to post this. :thumb

Myself and a good friend Mike Seymour (MikeyS) have just set up a new F1 Blog called EverythingF1.

We aim to provide an unbiased and interesting take on the World of Formula 1. Our main focus is to publish articles that offer a fresh look at the sport and to offer you the opportunity to browse through a whole host of enjoyable bits and pieces. The plan is to post regular news stories with an original take on the situations that are developing while offering a personal opinion on F1's current affairs. We aren't going to follow a trend, the path ahead will be created through our own ideas. Not only will we offer our own in depth views on current situations but also the regular news stories with our own unique analysis.

Both of us hope our blog will be something to be proud of for years to come and that you, the reader, can enjoy our articles as much as we enjoy writing them.

There are a few articles already published, one of which has gained significant attention from various F1 journalists and also Karun Chandhok. In the near future we have a Q&A session planned with Peter Windsor, so stay tuned for that!

We would love to see you all reading our blog, which you can find at EverythingF1 (http://www.everythingf1.com), on Twitter (http://twitter.com/ef1blog) and on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/EF1-Blog/142680645752484?ref=ts)

Thank-you for reading, enjoy.

Ste Rumbelow.

REDARMYSOJA
10th August 2010, 21:14
Nice blog. Saved to favorites. Appreciate the countdown clock as well! :thumb

Anni
11th August 2010, 07:33
Very nice! Thank you!:thumb

MikeyS
11th August 2010, 12:43
Thanks guys :-) We haven't been online long but there's a lot of interest already, hopefully we'll start building up the numbers steadily and get some more comments in. Looking forward to when F1 kicks off again in Spa so we can get more of the direct racing news rolling as well!

AP_
13th August 2010, 19:43
Hey Ste,

nice blog, saved to favorites.

Keep up the good work guys :-)

NJB13
14th August 2010, 10:04
I like the interesting topics and different perspective - very refreshing.
Good luck to you Ste and Mikey :thumb

Ferrari_Fanatic
14th August 2010, 14:30
good layout but im staying here! everything seems baiast towards mclaren all i see is button this hamilton that another planetf1 site i say

Suzie
14th August 2010, 14:41
good layout but im staying here! everything seems baiast towards mclaren all i see is button this hamilton that another planetf1 site i say

Given that the people behind EverythingF1 have brains, it's a world away from Planet F1. And 1 video about Lewis and 2 photos of Button hardly makes it a McLaren site.

MikeyS
14th August 2010, 14:53

Just to say, we're currently applying for media access, and the only team we have that with at the moment (due to the summer break) is Mclaren. As soon as we have more, the photos will change and things will be more varied, but it's much better than having nothing at the moment. Our articles barely mention Mclaren so far, apart from the latest which was due to the people behind his latest Reebok campaign contacting us - in which we agreed to advertise it a little bit. You don't have to view this as competition to TSN though, as it isn't. This is a community and forum, EF1 is a blog, with in depth articles etc. Thanks for the other comments anyway, much appreciated :)

vcs316
14th August 2010, 14:55
Nice!

All the best to both of you Mikey & Ste :thumb

epiclyaddicted
14th August 2010, 15:18
Yeah great effort guys! Keep it going! :thumb

MikeyS
15th August 2010, 19:05
Thanks everyone! :-) New post now online about the opening lap of a Grand Prix: http://everythingf1.com/?p=319

Agron
15th August 2010, 21:34
It's good, and the data has been interesting, but I feel you have tried to please too much, I mean, saying what your readers want to read, rather than saying what is fair.
For example, building the ultimate race driver:
-Jenson: I haven't seen the "smooth style" as being too great. The press has been trying to sell that that style is his choice and he is the successor of Prost, well, let me tell you, if that was really true, he would be agressive in qualifying, and smooth during the race. The fact is his style is not aggressive enough to be as fast as an Alonso or a Hamilton, and for the next 3 seasons he is going to suffer alongside Hamilton, there's only so many times you are going to get tyre changes right while everyone else gets it wrong.
He is good at nursing the tyres but that's a small advantage compared to those that may not be as soft with the tyres, but are able to place the same car 3 or 4 places ahead of him.
- Hamilton: Hamilton is very fast, probably second to none; he is consistent, almost as much as Alonso; and doesn't think twice about overtaking no matter what, he will chop or whatever to get it his way, he is probably the most determined driver out there at winning a race; Alonso would settle for position faster than Hamilton IMO. Adaptability? IMO Alonso is better at that, changing from 2007 Michelin to 2008 Bridgestone and not losing speed unlike Kubica or Kimi did, and hopping into cars designed for/setup by others and being faster than them.
- Alonso: speed and lap consistency, IMO equal to Hamilton if not faster. But the biggest of all, the fact he always thinks about the championship first; not only because he is a workaholic, but also his in-race decisions: other drivers would have tried to overtake Massa in the first few races, but he kept behind to avoid problems in the team and risking points, as ending 1 place lower was an acceptable loss for him. When he was faced with losing many positions and saw a small mistake from Felipe, he overtook him in China, no matter what others thought about him. Now the whole team is behind him.
Ruthlessness? please, that's Schumy's or Hamilton's traits, not his, no matter what the press want to make you believe, if you look at the facts he is one of the cleanest drivers out there. Mainly because trying a dangerous overtake or defence against some kamikaze (Hamilton, Schumy, Sato, Kobayashi) may loose you lots of points or even end your season.
-Schumy: speed, supreme workaholic, good pr with fans team and press, ruthlessness on and off track and passion, the absolute complete package. Alonso for example is unfairly hated by many fans and the press for saying what most of his critics would in his place, a mistake those good at PR don't make. But IMO Schumy's defining trait right now is that he is far more passionate for the sport than Massa, and probably more than anyone else on the grid, returning to race F1 cars at 41 with guys 20 years younger, with nothing to win but an unsurpassed legacy to loose, takes some really big *****.
-Kubica: being error free, but still very fast. You don't know how fast he is partnered with Petrov or Heidfeld, who is now a test driver. I don't think you have enough evidence to say he has put the car in places where it doesn't belong.
-Vettel: I honestly don't know. He has been outqualifyied by Webber several times this season. Some of his poles he has achieved while making a mistake in the lap, only for Webber to make a bigger one. Fact is his car is so unbelievable fast, and has been so closely matched by his nr2 teammate it's a bit of "let's keep his fans happy" that comment about him being so fast in qualifying.

Kobayashi is nice to see race, although he is being inconsistent, and De La Rosa is proving to still be able to match him, which doesn't necessarily mean anything good for the both of them.
Almost everyone else doesn't have any "superior" traits that these don't have, or at least we don't have enough evidence to say something nice about them without people feeling we are talking ****.

If you decide to say something nice about everyone, and then choose what nice traits they have, rather than find the traits each on has, and talking about those worth talking, the article becomes an attempt to please rather than an as unbiased as possible oppinion. If you do this long enough people will realise they are being fed what they want and will search other sources where they can get new, refreshing oppinions from people that don't try to compromise.
Just trying to give you a piece of advice, if you want it. May your blog enjoy success no matter what path you choose.

MikeyS
16th August 2010, 06:11
It's good, and the data has been interesting, but I feel you have tried to please too much, I mean, saying what your readers want to read, rather than saying what is fair.
For example, building the ultimate race driver:
-Jenson: I haven't seen the "smooth style" as being too great. The press has been trying to sell that that style is his choice and he is the successor of Prost, well, let me tell you, if that was really true, he would be agressive in qualifying, and smooth during the race. The fact is his style is not aggressive enough to be as fast as an Alonso or a Hamilton, and for the next 3 seasons he is going to suffer alongside Hamilton, there's only so many times you are going to get tyre changes right while everyone else gets it wrong.
He is good at nursing the tyres but that's a small advantage compared to those that may not be as soft with the tyres, but are able to place the same car 3 or 4 places ahead of him.
- Hamilton: Hamilton is very fast, probably second to none; he is consistent, almost as much as Alonso; and doesn't think twice about overtaking no matter what, he will chop or whatever to get it his way, he is probably the most determined driver out there at winning a race; Alonso would settle for position faster than Hamilton IMO. Adaptability? IMO Alonso is better at that, changing from 2007 Michelin to 2008 Bridgestone and not losing speed unlike Kubica or Kimi did, and hopping into cars designed for/setup by others and being faster than them.
- Alonso: speed and lap consistency, IMO equal to Hamilton if not faster. But the biggest of all, the fact he always thinks about the championship first; not only because he is a workaholic, but also his in-race decisions: other drivers would have tried to overtake Massa in the first few races, but he kept behind to avoid problems in the team and risking points, as ending 1 place lower was an acceptable loss for him. When he was faced with losing many positions and saw a small mistake from Felipe, he overtook him in China, no matter what others thought about him. Now the whole team is behind him.
Ruthlessness? please, that's Schumy's or Hamilton's traits, not his, no matter what the press want to make you believe, if you look at the facts he is one of the cleanest drivers out there. Mainly because trying a dangerous overtake or defence against some kamikaze (Hamilton, Schumy, Sato, Kobayashi) may loose you lots of points or even end your season.
-Schumy: speed, supreme workaholic, good pr with fans team and press, ruthlessness on and off track and passion, the absolute complete package. Alonso for example is unfairly hated by many fans and the press for saying what most of his critics would in his place, a mistake those good at PR don't make. But IMO Schumy's defining trait right now is that he is far more passionate for the sport than Massa, and probably more than anyone else on the grid, returning to race F1 cars at 41 with guys 20 years younger, with nothing to win but an unsurpassed legacy to loose, takes some really big *****.
-Kubica: being error free, but still very fast. You don't know how fast he is partnered with Petrov or Heidfeld, who is now a test driver. I don't think you have enough evidence to say he has put the car in places where it doesn't belong.
-Vettel: I honestly don't know. He has been outqualifyied by Webber several times this season. Some of his poles he has achieved while making a mistake in the lap, only for Webber to make a bigger one. Fact is his car is so unbelievable fast, and has been so closely matched by his nr2 teammate it's a bit of "let's keep his fans happy" that comment about him being so fast in qualifying.

Kobayashi is nice to see race, although he is being inconsistent, and De La Rosa is proving to still be able to match him, which doesn't necessarily mean anything good for the both of them.
Almost everyone else doesn't have any "superior" traits that these don't have, or at least we don't have enough evidence to say something nice about them without people feeling we are talking ****.

If you decide to say something nice about everyone, and then choose what nice traits they have, rather than find the traits each on has, and talking about those worth talking, the article becomes an attempt to please rather than an as unbiased as possible oppinion. If you do this long enough people will realise they are being fed what they want and will search other sources where they can get new, refreshing oppinions from people that don't try to compromise.
Just trying to give you a piece of advice, if you want it. May your blog enjoy success no matter what path you choose.

Thanks Agron - appreciate the feedback. The 'Ultimate Driver' article was all about trying to find a good trait within each driver, not a bad one. We tried to accumulate all of the best aspects of each peson (even if some are limited) into a driver that would be supposedly the best the sport has seen. However, that was one of our less serious articles, the others have been focussed on fact and I think we've been truthful rather than trying to be nice so to speak. We'll keep it in mind though, and thanks for the comments :-)

MikeyS
18th August 2010, 18:35

Feel free to check again - we now have more media passes :-)

RockyRaccoon
18th August 2010, 22:52
Great blog! Love the article on total pit lane time, an interesting stat that I hadn't really thought about before.

Hooligan
26th August 2010, 06:15
:thanks Agron, I absolutely love your post, a very clinical analysis of the top drivers.:clap:clap:clap
You may have the top step on the Podium

MikeyS
26th August 2010, 08:18
Some changes to the circuit at Spa: http://everythingf1.com/?p=565

MikeyS
27th August 2010, 16:43
Latest news has been added, with more coming in which I'm working on now. Reports from both practice sessions went on-line soon after they finished, we really appreciate you reading! :-)