PDA

View Full Version : Vettel: Mach Ado About Nothing?

Italian Spirit
20th August 2010, 15:15
I don't think that this "noise" about Vettel is justified. Sure, he has talent, but so do many others. And isn't he lacking something? Under the helmet, for instance?

Here is a little game I'm sure you will enjoy playing.

Given the Red Bull car of this year, who do you think:
(I give my opinion first. :-G Names are in alphabetical order)

Would have done better then Vettel? :-)
Alonso
Button (Not sure Jenson has more talent, but certainly has much more under the helmet)
Hamilton
Kubica
Massa
Rosberg
Sutil
Webber (he's proving it, isn't he?)

Would have done at least as good? ;-)
Barrichello
Buemi
Glock

Would have done at least as good but not as consitently? :-??
Alguersuari
De la Rosa
Hulkenberg
Kobayashi
Kovalainen
Liuzzi
Petrov
Schumacher
Trulli

Don't even talk about! :-s
Chandhok
Di Grassi
Di Resta
Fauzy
Senna
Yamamoto (Not yet, but...)

Of course, this it's only my opinion.

Look forward to read yours. :-D

theforce
20th August 2010, 15:31
man your bored:lol

justjesper
20th August 2010, 15:37
:lol I must say that I think Vettel is a great driver and will be bigger in the next few years.

TheForce, you make me laugh :lol

Greig
20th August 2010, 15:50
Agreed Vettel is very much over rated :-)

Suzie
20th August 2010, 16:51
I do think he's very talented but he does seem to shoot himself in the foot a lot, not to mention he needs to stop acting like a spoilt brat when things don't go his way. I don't think anyone, least of all Seb himself expected Webber to be right up there with him in the title fight.

NJB13
20th August 2010, 16:57
He can be fast but is young and needs to get rid of the mistakes. Some people have definitely over-rated him, in the same way, while they focused on him, Webber was a little under-rated.

Anni
20th August 2010, 17:12
After Schumacher retired people wanted to see Vettel as a replacement, but they forgot how young Vettel was and still is. The expectations, especially here in Germany, are so high he could have never fulfilled them. He still needs to learn a lot. I think when he is a bit older and more expierienced he may be one of the best.

About his charakter: I used to be a Vettel hater. From the first lood I thought he was an arrogant, selfish idiot. We got to see a lot of Vettel-interviews here in Germany and when time went on an on I changed my mind about him. I am not a Vettel fan, but I donīt dislike him anymore. :-)

Rishu
20th August 2010, 17:31
Don't know about Vettel but Schumacher in that RBR is a mouth watering thought. Again its just IMO.

goferrarigo
21st August 2010, 08:44
Vettel is so over rated at the moment in that illegal red bull. Although i think in a couple of years he could be incredibly quick. :-(

Tifosi
21st August 2010, 09:02
Well, he falls asleep in the car by his own admission (not good when you're trying to win a race). Mind you, if you believe that........

Stormsearcher
21st August 2010, 12:18
In the same car (or a car with equal performance)...
1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Kubica

These are the best drivers in F1 at the moment.
I doubt any of the rest can be as consistent and calculating as alonso or as ruthless and effective as hamilton.
Actually Alonso vs hamilton in equal cars and equal opportunity will be fantastic to watch. (its diff from their time at McLaren as clearly RD favoured lewis)

Schumi in this years redbull might have also been fun to watch.

Ste
21st August 2010, 12:48
I don't think that this "noise" about Vettel is justified. Sure, he has talent, but so do many others. And isn't he lacking something? Under the helmet, for instance?

Here is a little game I'm sure you will enjoy playing.

(I give my opinion first. :-G Names are in alphabetical order)

Alonso
Button (Not sure Jenson has more talent, but certainly has much more under the helmet)
Hamilton
Kubica
Massa
Rosberg
Sutil
Webber (he's proving it, isn't he?)

Barrichello
Buemi
Glock

Alguersuari
De la Rosa
Hulkenberg
Kobayashi
Kovalainen
Liuzzi
Petrov
Schumacher
Trulli

Chandhok
Di Grassi
Di Resta
Fauzy
Senna
Yamamoto (Not yet, but...)

Of course, this it's only my opinion.

Look forward to read yours. :-D

I think Vettel has a lot of talent. Especially when it comes to his final laps in Qualifying. His race pace is usually excellent as well and he's had standout drives even when he was with Toro Rosso. Remember his first win at Monza 2008? Incredible. I'm sure Alonso and Hamilton may have done better than he has, but as for anyone else, I doubt it. I think they are the top 3 drivers of the current field. Maybe Schumacher would actually show some of his old magic, that car is very pointy and we know that's what he likes. Who knows!

I absolutely disagree about who would have done equally as well. Rubens is past his best, not sure about Buemi - he does stick the Toro Rosso consistently in P10 or P11, Glock is good, but definitely no match for Vettel. With the next set of names, I think only Schumacher or Petrov could have matched Vettel. Kobayashi is quick, but not regularly.

Then, one thing I am 100% in disagreement with is the 'dont even talk about' Chandhok category. He has been fantastic. Not only a great bloke, but by the looks of it a really decent driver too. He's out-performed Senna most of the time. On my Blog, we've written an article about how the lower teams would have faired in terms of points if you took away the front runners. Turns out, Chandhok would be in second position behind Kovalainen (by 10 points) in a car that is significantly worse. Senna would have just over half of Chandhoks points - that includes the races Chandhok has missed. In terms of performance, he has been one of the standouts for me so far this season - shame his seat has been given away.

gvsnraju85
21st August 2010, 13:39
I think Vettel has a lot of talent. Especially when it comes to his final laps in Qualifying. His race pace is usually excellent as well and he's had standout drives even when he was with Toro Rosso. Remember his first win at Monza 2008? Incredible. I'm sure Alonso and Hamilton may have done better than he has, but as for anyone else, I doubt it. I think they are the top 3 drivers of the current field. Maybe Schumacher would actually show some of his old magic, that car is very pointy and we know that's what he likes. Who knows!

I absolutely disagree about who would have done equally as well. Rubens is past his best, not sure about Buemi - he does stick the Toro Rosso consistently in P10 or P11, Glock is good, but definitely no match for Vettel. With the next set of names, I think only Schumacher or Petrov could have matched Vettel. Kobayashi is quick, but not regularly.

Then, one thing I am 100% in disagreement with is the 'dont even talk about' Chandhok category. He has been fantastic. Not only a great bloke, but by the looks of it a really decent driver too. He's out-performed Senna most of the time. On my Blog, we've written an article about how the lower teams would have faired in terms of points if you took away the front runners. Turns out, Chandhok would be in second position behind Kovalainen (by 10 points) in a car that is significantly worse. Senna would have just over half of Chandhoks points - that includes the races Chandhok has missed. In terms of performance, he has been one of the standouts for me so far this season - shame his seat has been given away.

I Second you for every word you have written.....both about vettel and especially about Chandhok.......Imagine someone getting a super license just a couple of hours before the opening race of the season and yet performing so well ....real shame HRT took away his seat......and Vettel....well he is very young rt now and i believe he might come real close to being a schumi....i surelyu hope Ferrari sigh him up in a couple of years....Alonso and Vettel would be a great combo i guess and vettel will become more experienced by then (i definitely hope so)

Liscia
21st August 2010, 14:24
A talented tho callow driver and a glib (over?) talker but I too detect a cranial vacuum to some degree
but maybe that's just the immaturity?

racingbradley
21st August 2010, 14:40
I would really love to see Michael in this years RB. Everyone talks about Vettle being still very young and inexperienced but so was Michael when he joined Benetton!!!!!!! He wrung that car by the neck!!!!!!
I would also love to see Rosburg in this car.;-)

Italian Spirit
21st August 2010, 16:27

Just to clarify: my "Don't even talk about" wasn't certainly meant to be despising, not for Chandhock (that I like and admire very much) of for any other driver on the list. I just meant that none of them, given their racing experience and yes, even the talent, could have done better or as good on the same car. I insist and sign: in the same car Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica, Rosberg, Sutil or Massa would be leading the WDC.

You really think that Vettel is more talented than this guys?

But of course it's just my opinion.

sav_pap
21st August 2010, 16:32
vet is good when he's racing alone in the track:wave

Ste
21st August 2010, 17:15
Just to clarify: my "Don't even talk about" wasn't certainly meant to be despising, not for Chandhock (that I like and admire very much) of for any other driver on the list. I just meant that none of them, given their racing experience and yes, even the talent, could have done better or as good on the same car. I insist and sign: in the same car Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica, Rosberg, Sutil or Massa would be leading the WDC.

I think Vettel is in the top 3 drivers with Alonso and Hamilton yes.

Tifosi
21st August 2010, 21:51
Vettel will be excellent when he fully matures (just as Hamilton could be deadly if he ever matured - unlikely now I know!).

Imagine Vettel with Webber's maturity
(Imagine Hamilton with Button's maturity)

justjesper
21st August 2010, 23:31
just as Hamilton could be deadly if he ever matured

Fantastic. I Couldn't agree more.

Re Vettel, the season is not over yet, and he has shown amazing talent and mistakes. I'm confident that he will do very well this season.

gvsnraju85
22nd August 2010, 01:42

Not more but will definitely be on par in a coupl of years......As i said he is too young......remember how he drove the sub-par Torro Rosso....he definitely has it in him.......hejust has to get past his kiddish doldroms.....

Suzie
22nd August 2010, 01:43
Talented or not, Vettel's freakish pointy finger is the most irritating thing this side of Nicole Sherzinger.

F1ferrarifanUSA
22nd August 2010, 03:34
Talented or not, Vettel's freakish pointy finger is the most irritating thing this side of Nicole Sherzinger.

:clap

F1ferrarifanUSA
22nd August 2010, 03:36
Its annoying to see how much he s disrespecting Webber on many occasions. I d love to see Webbo take more points than Seb at Spa! Then you can see that grumpy little ***** reaction.

REDARMYSOJA
22nd August 2010, 03:39
Let me see, what was that line from the movie Bull Durham about the young pitcher, "A million dollar arm and a ten cent head". That pretty much applies to Vettel and Hamilton.

epiclyaddicted
22nd August 2010, 08:06
I've said this before, and will say it again... if a Red Bull driver has to win the WDC this year, I really hope it's Webber.

Agron
22nd August 2010, 08:54
The F1 press is desperate to create heros they can subsequently tear apart, as also-rans generate little interest. IMO Vettel seems ok as a person and a good driver, far from the negative image haters want to portray, but so far he hasn't proven to be a top driver, most of his legend is based on his victory in a toro rosso, but that race where he got pole, Bourdais qualifyied 4th, so it wasn't some superhuman achievement at all.

Still, he is young and once he wins a WDC -if he does!- he will wise up. Besides, if we compare his brainfades with Hamilton's in 2007, 2008 and this year (where he could have faced strong penalties in 6 or 7 races but strangely recieved none and now he is being hailed as super consistent for it XD), he almost looks wise.

mandzipop
22nd August 2010, 15:36
I'm a bit of a Vettel fan, I must admit. He has done some very good damage limitation races this year. The spark plug issue and the big one. Spain. He should have retired due to the critical situation his brakes were in. It was said at the time that there are very few drivers that can manage that sort of problem. Alonso and Schumacher (in he first career) were the names mentioned.

At the beginning of 2009, my only reservation about him ever winning a WDC was whether he was ruthless enough (which is extremely important). He just didn't come accross as the type of ruthless person. How wrong was I? He is regarded as probably the most ruthless driver on the grid. That was a comment made by Andrew Benson.

As regards to being a bit mentally challenged. Sir Jackie Stewart put him up with the likes of Senna/Prost in that matter. In fact Ascanelli (Senna's old race engineer and also worked with Vettel at STR) alluded to similarities between Vettel and Senna in an article in F1 mag a while ago.

I believe the finger issue is to do with him having to have it stitched back on 7 weeks before he got his superlicence.

I also asked James Allen if Vettel had changed at all since he first met him. James kindly answered and said that he was exactly the same person as he was when he started in F1.

Suzie
22nd August 2010, 17:35
I believe the finger issue is to do with him having to have it stitched back on 7 weeks before he got his superlicence.

Not because he's gotten pole/won then.

Greig
22nd August 2010, 17:38
That explains why MS used to wave his leg out the cockpit after his wins :-D

Suzie
22nd August 2010, 17:47
That explains why MS used to wave his leg out the cockpit after his wins :-D

:lol

Maybe if Felipe had won in Germany he would have waggled his head about.

mandzipop
22nd August 2010, 18:06
Not because he's gotten pole/won then.

Well everyone has a way of celebrating victory that means something to them. The accident nearly ended his racing career.

Suzie
22nd August 2010, 18:10
Well everyone has a way of celebrating victory that means something to them.

Yep I know that, I just wasn't aware there was a 'deeper' reasoning behind all the annoying finger-pointing, I just thought it was a celebratory thing such as punching the air etc.

Greig
22nd August 2010, 18:18
Why no finger when he won his first race then :-)

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 00:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TadLTlyC71o&feature=related
Why no finger when he won his first race then :-)

See 5:35 of that video...He has always kept his pointy finger:-)

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 01:39
A bit more research going back 10+years shows no figner from Vettel..:lol

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/n_anirudh/2dmh5pj.jpg

Rishu
23rd August 2010, 04:01

Greig
23rd August 2010, 06:38
See 5:35 of that video...He has always kept his pointy finger:-)

Seen 5.35 no finger though :-)

aroutis
23rd August 2010, 06:52

Alonso
Kubica
Hamilton
Webber
Rosberg
Massa
Sutil

Schumacher

De la Rosa
Hulkenberg
Kobayashi
Kovalainen
Liuzzi
Trulli

Di Grassi
Di Resta
Fauzy
Senna

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 07:40

5:35 onwards..briefly seen at 5:37 when he is on the podium....

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 07:46

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5199476/Sebastian_Vettel_Podium_2008_Monza

2:33 in this video..

Greig
23rd August 2010, 07:56
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5199476/Sebastian_Vettel_Podium_2008_Monza

2:33 in this video..

try again, got any more video's? or just going to accept the finger waving did not happen in his first win :-) what you have posted there is not what he does now and I think you know that :-)

Hermann
23rd August 2010, 08:03
Vettel's finger- sticking into the cameras is very annoying and rude for everyone with an education, but since education has become more or less redundant, it doesn't really matter.

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 08:13
try again, got any more video's? or just going to accept the finger waving did not happen in his first win :-) what you have posted there is not what he does now and I think you know that :-)

0:45 onward in the 1st video posted is very similar to what he does after qualifying now and also after the race :-)

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 08:15
Vettel's finger- sticking into the cameras is very annoying and rude for everyone with an education, but since education has become more or less redundant, it doesn't really matter.

Pretty much like Alonso's spanish donkey act after winning the races???

Glad he stopped doing that after joining Ferrari...

Greig
23rd August 2010, 08:16
0:45 onward in the 1st video posted is very similar to what he does after qualifying now and also after the race :-)

Nope, different finger :-D

Greig
23rd August 2010, 08:17
Pretty much like Alonso's spanish donkey act after winning the races???

Glad he stopped doing that after joining Ferrari...

What was the Spanish donkey act then?

Hermann
23rd August 2010, 08:24

I just thought the same. What 'spanish donkey act'? And what does this have to do with Vettel?

Tifosi
23rd August 2010, 08:25
... sounds like a rather succinct definition of HRT to me :Hmm

mad_ani
23rd August 2010, 09:12

His infamous imitation of animals after winning a country's grand prix.... one pic here in this page....

http://competition.rm.total.com/cpn/sitenl.nsf/VS_OPM/46D094E3C2BAF0F3C1257131004F590D?OpenDocument

His imitation of a donkey after a win earned him that title.....

Its equally rude and ridiculous :-D

Greig
23rd August 2010, 09:14
You maybe confuse bull with donkey, or maybe you are just trolling again, which one is it to be.....amazes me how you can turn a thread about Vettel into you slagging Alonso though, really clever, who would have thought it.....once again you revert to attack on Ferrari and their drivers, why do you come here?

goferrarigo
23rd August 2010, 09:42
His infamous imitation of animals after winning a country's grand prix.... one pic here in this page....

http://competition.rm.total.com/cpn/sitenl.nsf/VS_OPM/46D094E3C2BAF0F3C1257131004F590D?OpenDocument

His imitation of a donkey after a win earned him that title.....

Its equally rude and ridiculous :-D
I would love to see Alonso do some of those dances again. :rotfl

aroutis
23rd August 2010, 10:36
You maybe confuse bull with donkey, or maybe you are just trolling again, which one is it to be.....amazes me how you can turn a thread about Vettel into you slagging Alonso though, really clever, who would have thought it.....once again you revert to attack on Ferrari and their drivers, why do you come here?

Cause you let him ? :p

Stormsearcher
23rd August 2010, 13:33

hahahah.. +1 :thumb

Suzie
23rd August 2010, 14:42
Thanks Rishu, I don't think!! :-D

LOL at this thread descending into a discussion about Vettel's pointy finger.

Rishu
25th August 2010, 09:43
Thanks Rishu, I don't think!! :-D

LOL at this thread descending into a discussion about Vettel's pointy finger.

Sure everybody is sick of it :-)

Agron
25th August 2010, 11:10
I have no problem with celebrations, pointy fingers or whatever (for example Alonso didn't always make the monkey pose as our resident hater said, he kept changing poses, an agreement with his friends). Sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous but it makes victories memorable, I find it breath of fresh air from all the political retarded correctness, a sign of drivers being able to express some sort of joy and personality with their wins.
Nicole's jumping, praying, etc everytime Lewis does something, knowing the cameras will focus on her... well... that one I can't agree with.

Sometimes I feel people hate just for the sake of hating.