PDA

View Full Version : Support for Ferrari

Alessandra
23rd August 2010, 18:20
As the F1 summer hols draw to a close and the pre-Monza FIA meeting looms ever closer perhaps Ferrari fans might offer support to those who have to speak to that meeting and reassure them that they’re not alone in thinking and doing what they think and have done.
Here are some aspects of the issue that really get me going – plus some words for the defence from those who know far more than I do about F1.

* Ferrari is the only team to use the “code’.
I completely agree with Stefano that the ‘hypocrisy’ of other teams over the Hockenheim incident beggars belief. This ‘code’ is used all the time.
I heard and saw it in 2005/06 when on TV a team gave a driver the message ”……is faster than you’. The front driver moved out of the way smoothly, allowed his teammate to zoom past and there wasn’t a single murmur from a single commentator about illegality, ‘depriving the fans’ etc . I read not a syllable in the papers after the event. I have never heard anyone mention it since. It is a a time-honoured code for dealing with what could be a catastrophic incident within a team on track and in terms of points won, off track. Anyone who says it is not is either under 16 or lying.

More recently, In F1 Magazine ……….
Jacques Villeneuve : “…(Ferrari) are not the only team that have used indirect phrasings for team orders”
Pat Symonds: “…the words spoken by Rob Smedley are used , to my knowledge, by at least two other teams in similar circumstances and to the same effect”
In interviews……..
Nelson Piquet Jnr.: “The most common code is the one Ferrari uses, that your team mate is faster than you. “
Martin Brundle: “At no time did we read a message (on TV screens) that the incident would be investigated by the stewards after the race.
It's not unreasonable to think that the FIA were reacting to the post race furore.”

Others indicated that whilst the ‘code’ was well known Ferrari simply made a meal of it:
"These things do happen, it was just handled very clumsily," Virgin Racing team principal John Booth.
Mike Gascoyne said: "There are team orders, and we have to accept there will be. It was just handled very badly.
David Coulthard: “I cannot believe some of the hypocrisy we’ve heard in the past couple of days”

So, all the F1 world knows that this ‘code’, with variations, is common usage. If Ferrari gets another punishment teams will be having to do a big rummage round to find ways of passing the necessary info to their own drivers in future!

* When do team tactics (allowed) become team orders (forbidden)?
David Coulthard: the “ ludicrous ban on team orders should be scrapped
Formula One is a team sport. Team orders happen in F1. They always have and they always will. Just because Ferrari was ham-fisted in breaking the rules, does it make their transgression any worse?
Bernie Ecclestone: re. team orders “ Of course, if a team does something that's dangerous, then they're going to be in trouble. Otherwise, get on with it,"
Pat Symonds in F1 Mag. : “ ….team orders are still very much part of what is, above all, a team sport……..So, if we accept that the breaches of the strictest interpretation of Article 39.1 are commonplace, then surely it is the regulation that is at fault rather than those who commit the breach”.

* So what would be a useful rather than political outcome to the enquiry? Over to Martin Brundle again.
“Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, should immediately assemble all the commissions, councils and empowered people required to cancel regulation 39.1 which prohibits team orders. It is unworkable and largely not policeable.
There are hundreds of shades of grey around the interpretation of what constitutes team orders and when it is acceptable through the season to start applying them.
But points won at the first race have the same value as those at the last race.” (A matter glossed over by some who have claimed that it was too early in the season to start giving preference to one driver over another).

Even as we speak perhaps that’s precisely what the FIA is doing!

So, after winning, I hope, at Spa, all you guys who have to face the music later know that we are with you, share your views and if serious damage is inflicted on the team’s prospects for 2010, beyond what has already been done, will, as Martin Brundle suggests, use their ‘remote controls, attendance, words and cash’ to express their disapproval”, (well, words and controls certainly).

What else in the way of positive support have you heard out there?

gvsnraju85
23rd August 2010, 18:39
Well said....initially even i was against what the team did in germany but now in perspective i believe it was the most logical and practical thing to be done......How can any one speak about being 'FAIR' when the stewards and the Marshalls themselves are rigged (look at what happened at Valencia and Silverstone).....i support Ferrari no matter what...... All the Best guys...... you screwed it up in the race but in the court room you guys will get on the top of it........Forza Ferrari:thumb

Agron
23rd August 2010, 20:22
Martin Brundle: “At no time did we read a message (on TV screens) that the incident would be investigated by the stewards after the race.
It's not unreasonable to think that the FIA were reacting to the post race furore.”This one is priceless. It was again the well known group of reporters with an agenda and in some cases wishes of landing a job in the PR department of THAT team that overreacted at Alonso+Ferrari gaining benefit, while in 2008 when Heikki heard hamilton is faster than you and let Ham past at the same place nobody questioned a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epI6u6uA8hM

Alessandra
25th August 2010, 15:35
................... in 2008 when Heikki heard hamilton is faster than you and let Ham past at the same place nobody questioned a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epI6u6uA8hM

OOh, I didn't know that one:lol