PDA

View Full Version : World's fastest Ferrari unofficially hit 292mph

steelstallions
19th October 2010, 20:25
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/worlds-fastest-ferrari-288-gto

A modified Ferrari 288 GTO has hit an astonishing 275.4mph on the Bonneville salt flats, setting a new world record.

The 288 GTO hit 276.152mph on the 'down run' and 274.650mph on the return run, with builder P4 by Norwood claiming it unofficially hit 292mph just two years ago.

This 1985 motor features an 8.8-litre twin-turbo V8 engine pushing out between 2,000bhp and 2,500bhp, thanks to 17lbs of boost pressure courtesy of two Borg Warner turbochargers.

Quite an astonishing feat, no doubt. But without the original 2.9-litre twin-turbo Ferrari V8 with 400bhp, is it really a Ferrari? And do you think it is ever acceptable to put a stonking great muscle-car engine into a mid-engined Italian supercar?

We know what we think, because we thought it. And it is 'no'. Ultimately, there is one less original 288 GTO in the world now.

wow that's fast :-E

Tifoso
19th October 2010, 20:32
They yanked the Ferrari engine out and replaced it with a non-Ferrari? :-E :-!

epiclyaddicted
19th October 2010, 21:08
They yanked the Ferrari engine out and replaced it with a non-Ferrari? :-E :-!

Exactly my thoughts! That's blasphemy! The engine is the heart and soul of a Ferrari!!!

Agron
3rd December 2010, 04:16
The comment in the article said that the car was destroyed in a collision and used what they could repair to make that monster, so it wasn't such a blasphemy XD.
Anyway, if the record isn't established with a Ferrari engine, I don't feel like it's a Ferrari; it's kind of sad the history books may have as the fastest Ferrari a car without a Ferrari heart, I would rather have a Ferrari engine in a non Ferrari car achieving such a record.

Naeem
3rd December 2010, 17:36
I mean they could have out a jet engine on it but is it still a ferrari...

Nova
7th December 2010, 16:47
Since Im browsing the threads due to non racing, no Ferrari heart = no Ferrari....
If they put a Merc engine in a Ferrari body, is it still a Ferrari? Nah...

chris18812
17th December 2010, 08:30
its so interesting