PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP 2011: The Ducati/Dr Era Begins

Tifoso
17th January 2011, 16:29
Re-posting as I could not get into the other thread:-??

Date Grand Prix (Circuit)

March 20th Qatar* (Losail)
April 3rd Spain (Jerez)
April 24th Japan (Motegi)
May 1st Portugal (Estoril)
May 15th France (Le Mans)
June 5th Catalunya (Catalunya)
June 12th Great Britain (Silverstone)
June 25th Netherlands** (Assen)
July 3rd Italy (Mugello)
July 17th Germany (Sachsenring)
July 24th United States*** (Laguna Seca):pray
August 14th Czech Republic (Brno)
August 28th Indianapolis (Indianapolis)
September 4th San Marino & Riviera di Rimini (Misano)
September 18th Aragón (MotorLand)
October 16th Australia (Phillip Island)
October 23rd Malaysia (Sepang)
November 6th Valencia (Ricardo Tormo – Valencia)

* Evening Race
** Saturday Race
*** Only MotoGP class

Tifoso
17th January 2011, 16:46
Comparing the GP10 and the GP11 Desmosedici's

Ducati Desmosedici GP10 vs. GP11
http://www.visordown.com/uploads/images/Large/24613.jpg

Despite looking the same, we outline the major changes to the 2011 Ducati Desmosedici MotoGP bike
Posted: 13 January 2011
by Robin Goodwin

Consider this a technical spot-the-difference, but with the unveiling of the latest Desmosedici it appeared that new model hadn't changed drastically from the previous GP10. Ducati engineer Filippo Preziosi detailed the changes and now seeing the two side-by-side it is easy to view the progression from GP10 to GP11.

The bodywork is the initial visual attraction of the machine and from the comparison the fairing has changed completely. Noticeable are the revised shark-fin side vents and the wings that the team introduced last season to increase downforce.

Preziosi detailed the revised engine of the GP11. The motor remains the same but with a change to the principal characteristics to improve the fundamentals for a flatter and more useable power curve.

visordown.com

Tifoso
17th January 2011, 16:50
Rossi tests new hovercraft cart :lou

http://resources.motogp.com/2011/01/14/46.preview_small.jpg

Tifoso
18th January 2011, 18:27
Ducati begins testing:

Ducati begins testing with GP11
The team worked on adapting a set-up that will speed up the development process for both of its riders in Sepang.
Having pulled the covers off the bike during its high-profile 2011 MotoGP launch last week, Ducati is putting the new GP11 through its paces with a first test of the year at Jerez.

With neither Valentino Rossi nor Nicky Hayden riding the machine, duties are instead being assumed by a test team comprising of Vittoriano Guareschi and Franco Battaini.

The outing has been arranged as an opportunity for the team to better understand the GP11, as well as form an effective base setting for Rossi and Hayden when they get to ride the bike during the first official pre-season test at Sepang next month.

It was a very productive day, even though the track's grip was really bad, in part because of the high humidity and in part because the F3 test that took place until yesterday left the asphalt quite dirty - Guareschi told GPOne.com

“As planned, 'Batta' and I divided the responsibilities. I worked on the chassis with the goal of improving turn-in, while Franco concentrated on the electronics, including the new anti-wheelie and anti-spin systems that we're testing and adjusting. I think we found a couple of interesting things with the set-up that help with the front-end feel.

“We worked on ride height, seat position, and on many aspects of bike set-up that will help with all of the data-acquisition work that is necessary to be ready for Malaysia, when Vale and Nicky will ask us to change the bike in various ways.

“It's a refinement process that will proceed for the two days in order to speed up the factory riders' work in Malaysia.”
motogp.com

Tifoso
19th January 2011, 16:08
2nd day of testing

Vittoriano Guareschi and Franco Battaini completed the second day of a three-day Ducati MotoGP testing session at Jerez de la Frontera on Tuesday, lapping until the track closed since weather conditions made it pointless to ride prior to lunchtime. Guareschi completed 59 laps, while Battaini turned in 66.

“We started the test at 1pm since the morning was foggy, as usual,” said Guareschi, the Ducati Team Manager. “It was nice and sunny in the afternoon though, and we got in some good laps. I worked on the chassis, while ‘Batta’ continued with the electronics. Today I worked a lot on suspension, along with Öhlins technician Mike Norton, who looks after Valentino and who took advantage of this test to familiarise himself with working on the GP11. Franco is at a good point with his work dialling in the anti-wheelie control, so I’d say that for now, everything is proceeding according to plan.” :love

Press release courtesy of Ducati Corse Press

Bikus
19th January 2011, 17:09
It is good to see Ducati in action . I m in action too ...testing my reply to the topic because I still have problems with that . I have to log in every time when I want to post a message . I have no idea why , but I´ll try not to be lazy . hehe

Ste
19th January 2011, 17:20
It is good to see Ducati in action . I m in action too ...testing my reply to the topic because I still have problems with that . I have to log in every time when I want to post a message . I have no idea why , but I´ll try not to be lazy . hehe

That has always been the case :-)

Bikus
19th January 2011, 20:12
That has always been the case :-)

Me lazy ??? Yes I am .:lol That´s why I like to jump from forum to forum , topic to topic with only one log in . Now , I have to log in every time and that is too much for my old bones . hahaha

Well , back to topic ,

If you want to learn more about Moto GP riders , they are all at one place :

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/55/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Racing-Rider-Bios.aspx

Ste
19th January 2011, 20:14
Have you pressed 'remember me' on the login box?

Bikus
19th January 2011, 20:21
No , but I never did since day one ...long time ago .

Ste
19th January 2011, 20:24
You must have done at some point :-P

Did you clear your cookies or something? That will have removed the password and the auto login.

Bikus
19th January 2011, 20:32
:lol Hey , if you continue with questions I m going to be a LOG IN MASTER ....hahaha

Wait I have to log myself to send this message .

Yes I delete cookies often , but I m doing that all the time and I never had this problem before . Only once when G changed old forum TSN to this one I couldn´t stay logged . But I forgot what happened then , how we fixed the thing . I have to find old messages about it .

Sorry on slow reply I have to log in now ...again . hahhaaa

Tifoso
20th January 2011, 18:33
Ducati conclude Jerez programme

http://resources.motogp.com/2011/01/20/Guareschi01.preview.jpg
Thursday, 20 January 2011
The factory team completed a three-day Test at the Spanish circuit on Wednesday, as they made some final on-track adjustments to the Desmosedici GP11 before the official MotoGP Test at Sepang on February 1st.
Ducati conclude Jerez programme

The Ducati Team rounded off a three-day Test at the Jerez circuit in Spain on Wednesday, completing a productive programme of set-up work on the Desmosedici GP11.

Vittoriano Guareschi and Franco Battaini, who were tasked with carrying out the specified work on various areas of the set-up as outlined by Filippo Preziosi, began riding at 11.30am local time on Wednesday morning. Guareschi concluded his day at 4pm having ridden 61 laps, whilst Battaini continued until 6pm after putting in 90 turns of the track.

The Desmosedici will next be on track at the official MotoGP Test at Sepang in Malaysia, which takes place from February 1st-3rd and in which factory riders Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden will have the opportunity to evaluate the bike's progress.

“We were lucky because the weather conditions enabled us to test for all three days,” said Preziosi. “We identified two set-up configurations that Vittoriano determined to be suitable in terms of front-end feel and turn-in. With Franco, we found some interesting solutions for both anti-wheelie control and traction control.”

“We’re all satisfied with the work carried out, even though we’re aware that we’re dealing with technical solutions that were tried on a different track and in different conditions compared to those of Sepang. Only when Valentino and Nicky have had their turn to try and evaluate those solutions will we be able to have a more certain confirmation and to understand if we’ve taken a step forward – and if so, how big a step.”
motogp.com

Way I read this is that they have taken a step forward, but are waiting to confirm at Sepang.

Excellent :-)

Tifoso
25th January 2011, 16:25
Provisional entry list out. Never realized that Hayden is #69 :-E:-!:-D

The FIM has announced the provisional entry list for the 2011 MotoGP World Championship, which gets underway on March 20th with the opening round in Qatar.

The provisional entry list is as follows:

1; JORGE LORENZO, SPANISH, YAMAHA FACTORY RACING, YAMAHA

4; ANDREA DOVIZIOSO, ITALIAN, REPSOL HONDA TEAM, HONDA

5; COLIN EDWARDS, AMERICAN, MONSTER YAMAHA TECH 3, YAMAHA

7; HIROSHI AOYAMA, JAPANESE, SAN CARLO HONDA GRESINI, HONDA

8; HECTOR BARBERA, SPANISH, ASPAR TEAM, DUCATI

11; BEN SPIES AMERICAN, YAMAHA FACTORY RACING, YAMAHA

14; RANDY DE PUNIET, FRENCH, PRAMAC RACING TEAM, DUCATI

17; KAREL ABRAHAM, CZECH, CARDION AB MOTORACING, DUCATI

19; ALVARO BAUTISTA, SPANISH, RIZLA SUZUKI MotoGP, SUZUKI

24; TONI ELIAS, SPANISH, LCR HONDA MotoGP, HONDA

26; DANI PEDROSA, SPANISH, REPSOL HONDA TEAM, HONDA

27; CASEY STONER, AUSTRALIAN, REPSOL HONDA TEAM, HONDA

35; CAL CRUTCHLOW, BRITISH, MONSTER YAMAHA TECH 3, YAMAHA

46; VALENTINO ROSSI, ITALIAN, DUCATI TEAM, DUCATI

58; MARCO SIMONCELLI, ITALIAN, SAN CARLO HONDA GRESINI, HONDA

65; LORIS CAPIROSSI, ITALIAN, PRAMAC RACING TEAM, DUCATI

69; NICKY HAYDEN, AMERICAN, DUCATI TEAM, DUCATI

motogp.com

Tifoso
26th January 2011, 18:00
:Hmm

Rossi takes part in surprise Superbike test

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/AU708304.jpg
Valentino Rossi rides Ducati Superbike at Misano.
Just days before the first MotoGP test of 2011, Valentino Rossi has taken part in a surprise test on a Ducati Superbike at Misano (pictured).

In a repeat of the kind of tests he conducted last year on a Yamaha R1, to gauge the level of his recovery from a broken leg, the Italian MotoGP superstar used the 1198 ride to evaluate his fitness after shoulder surgery in mid-November.

Next week's Sepang test, from February 1-3, will be the first time Rossi has ridden a MotoGP bike since the shoulder operation, and also mark his track debut in full Ducati Marlboro colours.

“First of all, thanks to Filippo (Preziosi) and to Ducati, who organised this test,” said Rossi. “Misano Circuit let us use the track on a day when Mattia (Pasini) was planning to ride in order to confirm his own condition.

"The track more or less confirmed what we expected: the shoulder is painful—especially under braking, when the front area hurts, where they stitched the tendon. Movement is stable enough, and we're also doing not so bad with endurance, but apart from that, it hurts a lot and isn't very strong.

"Let's hope it gets a little better in these next few days before the test in Malaysia. Once we're there, we'll work with the riding position in an effort to make the most of the situation and collect important information with the Desmosedici, even though I'm not in top form.

"Today I did a total of 25 laps on the 1198 Superbike, which is sort of a 'historic' motorcycle for Ducati: beautiful and fast. I liked it!”

No lap times were released by Ducati.
crash.net

Ste
26th January 2011, 18:22
Pretty bad news that Vale is still having problems with his shoulder. I expected it to have healed pretty much all together by now. I hope it's fully fixed by the start of the season - doesn't sound like it though.

I can't see him taking the fight to Lorenzo and Stoner if he isn't fully fit.

Bikus
29th January 2011, 16:09
He´ll be fine just in time for the Championship battle . I don´t know why but I think Spies will be strong on Yamaha and this year I do hope to see some fight from Honda ( Stoner or Simoncelli ) because I LOVE HONDAAAAAAAAAAAAA !;-)

Bikus
29th January 2011, 16:11
Have you pressed 'remember me' on the login box?

This time ( for the first time ) I did , and it works . Thanks Ste .

:-)

Ste
1st February 2011, 13:21
Testing times from today in Sepang:

Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Casey Stoner Honda 2m01.574s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.977s + 0.403s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m02.024s + 0.450s
4. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 2m02.295s + 0.721s
5. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m02.332s + 0.758s
6. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 2m02.422s + 0.848s
7. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 2m02.483s + 0.909s
8. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m02.507s + 0.933s
9. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m02.514s + 0.940s
10. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 2m03.152s + 1.578s
11. Kousuke Akiyoshi Honda Test 2m03.224s + 1.650s
12. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m03.365s + 1.791s
13. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m03.508s + 1.934s
14. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 2m03.695s + 2.121s
15. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 2m03.767s + 2.193s
16. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m04.009s + 2.435s
17. Toni Elias LCR Honda 2m04.238s + 2.664s
18. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m04.470s + 2.896s

Ste
2nd February 2011, 13:44
Pedrosa scorches second day at Sepang
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89234)

Dani Pedrosa moved to the top of the times on the second day of testing at Sepang, as the HRC Honda rider became the first man to break into the 2m00 bracket.

The Spaniard, who set his best lap time early in the morning session, was more than half a second faster than his team-mate Casey Stoner, while Ben Spies - trying different specifications of factory Yamaha M1s - was third fastest.

Pedrosa, who reckoned he had never ridden so fast around Sepang, tried the new 2011 engine among other things, and declared himself pleased with it.

"I think it's the first time I've ridden so fast on this track, but you're just fresh in the morning and I did four very good first laps," he said. "I was not looking for a time, but I saw that the track conditions were good and I pushed. The closer you get to the limit, the clearer the changes you are doing on the bike become, which lead you in the right direction.

"Today I tried the new engine, which has improved from Valencia, some chassis configurations and rear shocks. Tomorrow the plan is to continue comparing both bikes and it would be great to come away with the chassis and engine decided for the next test."

Andrea Dovizioso made it three HRC bikes in the top four, while Marco Simoncelli, using a factory RC212V run out of the Gresini garage, was fifth fastest ahead of team-mate Hiroshi Aoyama.

World champion Jorge Lorenzo was seventh fastest after spending the day evaluating a new chassis for his factory Yamaha, while Alvaro Bautista slipped to eighth on the sole Suzuki.

Hector Barbera was the fastest Ducati rider in tenth spot, the Aspar team 1.3s off the ultimate pace, but still some 0.3s up on the factory GP11 of Nicky Hayden who was 11th.

Valentino Rossi struggled with his injured shoulder once again, and was two tenths slower than his team-mate Hayden, the factory Ducati pair split by Randy de Puniet's Pramac Ducati.

Testing times:

1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m00.770s
2. Casey Stoner Honda 2m01.434s + 0.664s
3. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m01.508s + 0.738s
4. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m01.512s + 0.742s
5. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 2m01.522s + 0.752s
6. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 2m01.534s + 0.764s
7. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.563s + 0.793s
8. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 2m01.687s + 0.917s
9. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.722s + 0.952s
10. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 2m02.093s + 1.323s
11. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.379s + 1.609s
12. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 2m02.426s + 1.656s
13. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m02.597s + 1.827s
14. Kousuke Akiyoshi Honda Test 2m02.619s + 1.849s
15. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.032s + 2.262s
16. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 2m03.047s + 2.277s
17. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m03.466s + 2.696s
18. Toni Elias LCR Honda 2m04.026s + 3.256s

Ste
3rd February 2011, 15:03
Simoncelli ends Sepang test on top
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89263)

Marco Simoncelli was the surprising pace-setter on the final day of MotoGP testing at Sepang on Thursday.

The Gresini Honda rider posted a best time of 2m00.757s, the best time of the three days of testing at the Malaysian circuit.

Simoncelli was followed closely by a group of riders who also broke into the 2m00s bracket, with Casey Stoner just 0.054 off the Italian's pace on the works Honda.

World champion Jorge Lorenzo was also less than a tenth behind the leading bike on his Yamaha.

Andrea Dovizioso on the second works Honda, and Ben Spies on the Yamaha completed the top five, with yesterday's pace-setter Dani Pedrosa down in sixth position.

Valentino Rossi finished down in 10th as he continued to acclimatise to the new Ducati, the Italian around three tenths of a second slower than team-mate Nicky Hayden.

Suzuki rider Alvaro Bautista was sidelined from the final day of testing after feeling unwell, the Spaniard replaced by Noburu Aoki.

"I am not feeling well at all, I have a constant feeling of sickness and it hasn't improved all day," said Bautista. "I tried to ride the bike this morning; I really wanted to use the good track conditions and try to do my first 2'00 minute lap-time of Sepang!

"But immediately I made the first lap, the physical effort made the sickness worse and it was just impossible. So, I must say sorry to the team and I am also very disappointed for myself."

Testing times:

1. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 2m00.757s 42
2. Casey Stoner Honda 2m00.811s + 0.054 42
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m00.845s + 0.088 46
4. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m00.945s + 0.188 51
5. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m01.002s + 0.245 60
6. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m01.241s + 0.484 44
7. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 2m01.353s + 0.596 63
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m01.534s + 0.777 60
9. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.651s + 0.894 32
10. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m01.842s + 1.085 52
11. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 2m02.030s + 1.273 42
12. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducat 2m02.057s + 1.300 48
13. Randy De Puniet Pramac Ducati 2m02.159s + 1.402 57
14. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m02.645s + 1.888 29
15. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m02.717s + 1.960 44
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda 2m02.916s + 2.159 55
17. Kousuke Akiyoshi Honda 2m03.452s + 2.695 3
18. Noburu Aoki Suzuki 2m04.700s + 2.943 46

Ste
5th February 2011, 10:13
Rossi: Shoulder costs me half a second
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89302)

Valentino Rossi believes his still-recovering shoulder was slowing him by around half second during MotoGP testing at Sepang this week - but said his condition is a lot better than he had feared.

Although the former champion was in the midfield throughout the test, he said his physical situation had been his priority in Malaysia, rather than pure speed.

"I'm very happy because before coming here, I expected to do 20, 30 laps per day, and as it turns out, I did around 40 each of the first two days and over 50 [on the final day]," said Rossi.

"Of course I was really finished by the end, in part because the rest of my body has to work differently; my left arm has to do extra work, so it's very tired.

"But I'm really happy with my shoulder because it's improving day-by-day, and even after the stress of having ridden a MotoGP bike at the limit, I don't have any problems: now it's just a question of strength.

"My mobility has improved a lot, and I no longer think my physical limitations cost me a second; let's say I lose five or six tenths, especially on braking and in corner entry."

Rossi said his adjustment to the Ducati was still a work in progress, but felt he was on target.

"Obviously, there's still a lot to do, but compared to the start of the test, we've definitely got closer to the base set-up we're looking for," he said.

"There's no need to change the Desmosedici's character; we need to take advantage of its best characteristics - its stability and its engine - and improve the other areas, especially the in-corner behaviour, to make it turn better.

"In any case, the overall evaluation of the test is definitely good; today we're a second off the top riders, and also in the afternoon, riding with race tyres, the distance stayed around seven or eight tenths.

"I still have to do more kilometres in order to understand other aspects of the GP11 but, although I have to change my riding style a little, I now feel much more at home with the Ducati."

Tobes
5th February 2011, 10:27
Am I missing something or are Honda running three works bikes...? :-??

Suzie
5th February 2011, 10:51
Am I missing something or are Honda running three works bikes...? :-??

Yep they are, something to do with Dovizioso having a clause in his contract meaning he could still race for them.

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2011-repsol-honda-motogp-team-presentation-90380.html

At one point last season, it appeared that a three-rider Honda line-up seemed unlikely. With sponsorship money hard to come by, it appeared that Honda wanted to farm Dovizioso out to a factory backed satellite Honda team. With a strong 2010 season that saw him finish fifth overall, Dovizioso triggered a clause in his contract that guaranteed a spot on the factory team, keeping him on the Repsol Honda squad.
"I'm very happy to be part of the Repsol Honda Team, especially this year as we will be a very competitive team, stronger than ever,” says Dovizioso. “We are three riders able to fight for the win and the title, me and my team are very enthusiastic.”

Tobes
5th February 2011, 11:09
Yep they are, something to do with Dovizioso having a clause in his contract meaning he could still race for them.

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2011-repsol-honda-motogp-team-presentation-90380.html

Excellent, good for him, Dovi definately deserved to keep his ride... :-)

Cheers Suzie... :thumb

Tifoso
22nd February 2011, 17:50
Sepang Test Day 1

Stoner leads day one at Sepang
Sepang Test 2011 - Day 1

The second official 2011 pre-season MotoGP Test rounded off its opening day at Sepang with Casey Stoner top of the timesheet, as the Australian set the only lap under 2’01” on Tuesday. With an effort of 2’00.987 inside the final hour, Stoner was followed by team-mate Dani Pedrosa (+0.373s) for a Repsol Honda one-two at the top.

In typically sweltering conditions and with a general lack of grip being reported by the riders the duo of RC212Vs were followed on the timesheet by a brace of Yamaha M1s. First up was the factory machine of World Champion Jorge Lorenzo, who at 0.481s off Stoner had spent the day trying a modified chassis in a bid to deal with a chatter problem encountered last time out at this track. Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Colin Edwards was just over two-tenths further back in fourth.

Third Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso rounded out the day fifth fastest with a time of 2’01.747, with Yamaha Factory Racing’s Ben Spies close behind (+0.061s on the Italian) as the American concentrated on his M1 setting. Two more RC212Vs made it five inside the top eight as San Carlo Honda Gresini pair Hiroshi Aoyama and Marco Simoncelli finished within six-hundredths of one another. The Japanese rider was looking to define his suspension and rear grip and was the final rider within a second of Stoner, whilst Simoncelli worked towards better grip and braking performance having set the best time at the previous Test.

The highest placing Ducati on day one was the factory GP11 of Valentino Rossi, notably without the ‘wings’ that had featured on the fairing of the Desmosedici at its official presentation in January. Appearing to enjoy an improved comfort in his shoulder in comparison to three weeks ago the Italian worked on his set-up and on fixing his anti-wheelie setting, posting a best lap of 2’01.999 which was 1.012s off Stoner. {snip}

official site

Ste
24th February 2011, 18:15
Not looking great for Ducati or Rossi. I thought it was a bad move going there...

Rossi downbeat on Ducati's pace
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89637)

Valentino Rossi says Ducati is lacking pace following the Sepang test, the Italian admitting he is not too optimistic the chassis issues can be solved.

Ducati concluded the second of Malaysia's tests today with somewhat sub-standard results.

The best Rossi and Nicky Hayden could manage was 11th and 12th respectively, disappointing for the pair after a positive start.

Rossi's efforts were blighted this week by flu, the six-time MotoGP champion losing an entire day's testing having to spend Wednesday in bed.

The Italian conceded he was not too hopeful on fixing the issues with the bike's chassis.

"We couldn't be satisfied with this test because we didn't reach our goals," said Rossi. "Instead, we're 1.8 seconds back, and our rhythm is also lacking. After the first day, we thought we could do it. We had started well and were able to make the bike work with the hard tyres, which is good.

"After that though, we didn't take steps forward. Although we have some good ideas for the electronics that I'm optimistic will solve those problems relatively easily, I'm not as confident about the chassis set-up. We tried hard, but we haven't yet managed it.

"I'm able to brake hard, but I'm still having trouble in mid-corner. It was definitely a disadvantage to only ride two days instead of three because we had to rush at the end and try many things in order to understand as much as we could."

Team-mate Hayden remained more hopeful about the GP11's lack in progress.

Hayden blamed no major problems, but "a combination of little details that prevented us from getting the results we'd hoped for."

The American praised his team but admitted: "We need to do better than this."

Tifoso
24th February 2011, 22:47
Saw this. Was too sad to post it :-s

Ste
24th February 2011, 23:06
Saw this. Was too sad to post it :-s

Me too mate, but never, ever, write off Rossi. He's a multiple World Champion for a reason!

I was speaking earlier to someone with a lot of knowledge about all things MotoGP, he believes Rossi's shoulder is still costing him time but it will fix itself and he'll be back to full mobility and health come the start of the season.

He isn't sure that Rossi will ever be champion again. The Ducati is behind both the Honda and Yamaha at the moment and with only a short time to develop it. They've got to push this year, they've had no success since 2007 and by 2012 the bikes change again to 1000cc engines.

He reckons the force this year will be Yamaha and Lorenzo. He's already proven, the bike has been developed over the past 7 seasons and Jorge can continue easily with what Rossi has done.

Rossi's problems aren't easy to solve but he thinks they will get around them, it'll just take time since they're probably going around the houses trying to sort them out. But again, by the time they're sorted it'll probably be time for a new set of regulations which could further hamper Ducati.

Essentially, he was saying never write Rossi off. The Yamaha was a dog of a bike when Rossi joined and he turned it into a multiple WC winning machine. If anyone can do it, Rossi can.

Tifoso
24th February 2011, 23:35
I sure hope so. Thanks mate. :)

Aussie
11th March 2011, 00:53
Now i have to go for honda GO STONER

sagi58
17th March 2011, 00:30
Japanese MotoGP race postponed after earthquake

The Twin Ring Motegi MotoGP race, scheduled to take place on April 24, has been postponed following an earthquake and tsunami that caused widespread devastation in Japan last week.

MCN understands the race will now take place on October 2, so will not form a triple header with the Phillip Island and Sepang races as was expected.

Dorna had the option to move the Motegi date after consultation with circuit management because of a large break in the calendar after the Motorland Aragon race on September 18 and Phillip Island race in Australia on October 16.

Although the Twin Ring Motegi is believed to have escaped major damage in last week's earthquake, which was a magnitude of 8.9, roads between Tokyo and Mito - the closest city to the circuit - have been damaged.

Mito is also the city where the vast majority of race personnel reside during the race weekend and there have been reports of some structural damage.

Earlier this week, Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta said a decision on whether the race would go ahead would be left entirely to Twin Ring Motegi officials as Japan tries to recover from one of the biggest natural disasters in its history.

It is the second year in succession that the Japanese round of the world championship has been rescheduled.

Last year's race was postponed from April to October following the Iceland volcano ash crisis that prevented most of the paddock from flying from Europe to the Far East.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/MotoGP/2011/March/mar1511JapaneseMotoGPracepostponedafterearthquake/

Ste
17th March 2011, 17:22
Rossi: Ducati tougher to ride than expected
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89987)

Valentino Rossi says he has been surprised by how hard to ride the Ducati turned out to be, but is confident the problems can be resolved.

The Italian, who added that he would be "happy to finish in the top five" in the season opener in Qatar, said his early worries about the scale of the task ahead at Ducati were fading even though there was still work to do.

"I must be honest, in the beginning I was worried," Rossi was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Maybe I'll regret what I'm about to say, but I must confess that I had thought this bike was easier to ride. Instead the beginning was tough.

"However I'm not as worried now, because the Ducati people are happy to work with me, they trust me and I think we'll be able to improve the situation."

He suggested that he would not be confident of victory in Qatar even if he had stayed with Yamaha, such as the Honda's superiority at present.

"I would be worried anyway, because Honda today is quicker than Ducati and Yamaha," Rossi said. "I would probably be faster since I know that bike, but under more pressure, because it's the world champion bike. With Ducati it's a more difficult challenge, we need some time."

The former champion is also still troubled by pain from the shoulder surgery he had over the winter. He is equally confident that this problem can be resolved with time, even though it curtailed his final test day earlier this week.

"I lost all the power [in the shoulder] and could not ride, so we stopped without finishing the test," Rossi explained in a news conference at Losail today.

"But the shoulder is just a question of time. I worked all the winter, every day, to be as fit as possible for the first race. I think I need another one or two months to come back to 100 per cent."

Ste
17th March 2011, 17:23
Lorenzo expects to be faster in Qatar
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89986)

MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo is expecting to be much faster at the season-opening Qatar Grand Prix than he was during testing.

The Yamaha rider and his team were not been able to match the pace of the Hondas during testing, and arrive in the first race not expecting to be as strong as last year.

Lorenzo, however, believes he will be able to raise his game this weekend.

"We are not in the best moment right now, because we don't have a good set-up," said Lorenzo on Thursday in Qatar. "We need a little improvement in our bike to be very, very competitive, but I think we can be much, much faster than in the last test.

"This is what we are going to try from tonight."

The Spaniard conceded his rivals had taken a significant step forward during the winter, with Yamaha not having improved as much.

"To be honest, the rivals have improved a lot. Their bikes have improved a lot. The Yamahas improved from last year but not a lot, so right now we don't only have the problem of extracting the maximum potential but also we problems with the set-up of the bike.

"So tonight we are going to try to improve the set-up and I think we can be closer to the first and second positions. "

Suzie
17th March 2011, 17:59
Really looking forward to the new MotoGP season, I think I'm going to stick with Honda as my chosen team and just pretend that Casey Stoner isn't there :-)

Ste
17th March 2011, 18:43
Really looking forward to the new MotoGP season, I think I'm going to stick with Honda as my chosen team and just pretend that Casey Stoner isn't there :-)

Honda are looking a strong bet for 2011 based on testing. Pedrosa still isn't proven though, needs to shop falling off or dropping back mid-race.

Lorenzo remains favourite in my opinion, him and the bike are already proven to be the best combination.

I'd like to see Dani thrash Casey, just not sure he can. :-)

Suzie
17th March 2011, 18:58
I agree Ste, I hope Dani P can actually make it through the season without damaging himself in some way! I'm sure he will win a couple of races but yes unfortunately Casey will probably have the measure of him. Provided he doesn't throw the bike off the track ;-)

Ste
17th March 2011, 22:27
Rossi buoyed by practice pace
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89995)

Valentino Rossi said he was very encouraged by the progress he made in Thursday practice at Losail.

The Ducati convert had only been 13th at the end of the pre-race test earlier this week, but he improved his pace in today's first official session to end up fifth.

"We're all pretty satisfied with this first free practice because we worked well throughout the entire session, progressively improving with each outing," said Rossi.

"We modified the set-up a little compared to the test, and we immediately found it to be better, to the point that within just a few laps, I improved on my time from Monday. The last run was particularly positive and my final lap time, done with a hard tyre that had 19 laps on it, was my best, a bit more than a tenth off second place."

He acknowledged that the front of the field remained some distance away - but is now fired up to try and close the gap before qualifying.

"We know that if we want to have a good race on Sunday, we have to cut another five tenths, and we'll try to do that tomorrow," said Rossi.

"Anyway, although we still have to improve some more things on the bike, now I don't have to push so hard and it is turning better."

Rossi was also buoyed by his physical condition, feeling his injured shoulder was coping better in practice today than it had in the test.

"The shoulder is holding up well," he said. "It was only at the end that it started to lose a little strength, and tomorrow we'll see how it reacts with two practice sessions. In any case, we're happy today."

Ste
17th March 2011, 22:28
Lorenzo hails practice breakthrough
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89994)

Jorge Lorenzo declared himself much happier with his Yamaha after Thursday practice in Qatar, even though he was only seventh.

The MotoGP world champion had been downcast following the end of the Losail test, feeling he had no chance of getting near the front in the season-opener.

But he was much more optimistic after today's session.

"Today we used a set-up from last year here, I feel much more used to it so I am a lot more happy," said Lorenzo. "I think if we improve the setting some more tomorrow we can really step forward.

"With the new chassis I can make faster corner speeds here so the 2011 chassis is working well. I think we will all be closer to the front on Sunday night."

Team manager Wilco Zeelenberg agreed that tonight had been an important breakthrough.

"A very good practice for us, even when the position is not so good," he said. "The last test we did a long run and Jorge was not so happy with the set-up and was a bit disappointed. Finally the improvement and changes we made today have resulted in a good test and a better feeling for him.

"This means he can now be consistent, that is his strong point. From now on we will be moving forwards."

Lorenzo was slightly outpaced by his new team-mate Ben Spies, who also felt there was much more to come.

"Everything went really smooth, we made two major changes to the bike, one was better, one wasn't," said the American.

"We spent the whole time on tyres we hope are the worst for the track, a front I don't like and a harder rear and we matched our time from the test. I'm happy that we've made the bike a bit better, if we go to what we think is better with the tyres we should have a few tenths."

Ste
17th March 2011, 22:29
Stoner commands first practice
Source: Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89989)

Casey Stoner proved utterly dominant in the opening MotoGP practice session of the season in Qatar.

This weekend's Losail event is spread over four days so that all the sessions can take place in similarly dark evening conditions, which meant an early start to the official running on Thursday night.

Honda convert Stoner hit the front just a few minutes in and was never headed, building a 0.610-second advantage over his team-mate Dani Pedrosa.

Behind the runaway Australian, the times were much closer, with just 0.230s covering from Pedrosa in second to third works Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso in eighth.

Hector Barbera was the fastest Ducati, with a shock one-off late fast lap to grab third on the Aspar team's satellite machine. His run pushed Marco Simoncelli's factory-specification Gresini Honda back to fourth.

Valentino Rossi's weekend got off to a better start than he might have expected. The Italian crept up to fifth, 0.7s off the pace, by the end of the 45 minutes.

He was ahead of both bikes from the team he has just left - Ben Spies and Jorge Lorenzo's Yamahas ending up only sixth and seventh.

Pramac Ducati's Randy de Puniet and Tech 3 Yamaha's Colin Edwards completed the top 10 at the end of an uneventful session.

http://i51.tinypic.com/j9yed0.png

Sianellen
17th March 2011, 22:32

I hope Pedrosa does well :-) it was a real shame with his accident last season (plus he is my favourite ;-)). I don't mind seeing Lorenzo win though, its always fun seeing his interesting celebrations.

Suzie
18th March 2011, 19:39
Alvaro Bautista has a broken femur, he fell in practice this evening :-??

Ste
18th March 2011, 20:07
Oh dear :-( Not the best way to start the season.

Julie B
18th March 2011, 20:40
It's going to be a fantastic season me things :-D

Aussie
19th March 2011, 00:19

lol Stoner will crush Dani and rossi

Come on the flying kangaroo

Aussie
19th March 2011, 00:21
I agree Ste, I hope Dani P can actually make it through the season without damaging himself in some way! I'm sure he will win a couple of races but yes unfortunately Casey will probably have the measure of him. Provided he doesn't throw the bike off the track ;-)

why so anti stoner he is a good kid nice bloke not full of him self like all of us aussies

Suzie
19th March 2011, 00:25
why so anti stoner he is a good kid nice bloke not full of him self like all of us aussies

I'm not anti-Stoner per se, I just think he's a bit of a moan ;-)

Aussie
19th March 2011, 00:37
I think he is a champ stoner will have a massive future in moto gp

But mick doohan was my all time favourite rider

Ste
19th March 2011, 08:04
I'm not anti-Stoner per se, I just think he's a bit of a moan ;-)

+1

Aussie
20th March 2011, 10:25
Lol who's on pole stoner has a good record at this track

scuderiafan
15th May 2011, 14:43
First podium with Ducati delights Rossi

Valentino Rossi said his first podium finish in Ducati colours was particularly satisfying because he had had such a tough start to his career with the Italian firm.

Having struggled so far this season both with fitness following his 2010 shoulder issues and to adapt to the Desmosedici, Rossi came through from ninth on the grid to finish third at Le Mans today, narrowly missing out on second after a dice with Andrea Dovizioso.

"I'm so happy - the first podium with Ducati is a great emotion, especially because I arrived there after a difficult period when we were struggling a lot with my physical condition, and also to understand the bike more," he said.

"But it's becoming better and better, and the race today was very, very fun. I did quite a good start, some overtaking, and I hooked my bike to Dovi and [Jorge] Lorenzo. We had a different setting and I was faster than the rest of the weekend.

"At the end it was great, because I did some good laps to go with Jorge and I was able to overtake him. But then Dovi arrived, so another battle with him.

"We are going in a good way but still in some places we lose a bit too much. When I tried to overtake Dovi I thought it was the last lap, but we had another one - I wasn't sure. But anyway it was difficult and congratulations to Dovi."

Rossi was jubilant on the podium and admitted that the feeling was almost as good as a win.

"This third place is not like a victory, but similar," he said.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91426

Tifoso
15th May 2011, 18:40
Attaboy Rossi!

I still believe :-)

Sianellen
15th May 2011, 19:24
Gutted for Dani, another broken collarbone :-(

Aussie
15th May 2011, 22:23
Stoner to good

Rob
16th May 2011, 19:30
:-s oh no poor Dani

Barcelona race in doubt for Pedrosa after broken collarbone
Monday, 16 May 2011

Following Dani Pedrosa’s crash in Sunday’s Monster Energy Grand Prix de France, the Repsol Honda rider was admitted yesterday to the Clínica Teknon, where new tests confirmed a neat fracture of his right collarbone.

Pedrosa returned to Barcelona immediately after the race with the x-ray scans from the Le Mans circuit medical centre. The Spaniard visited his doctors at Teknon Medical Centre and further medical tests confirmed a clean break of the right collarbone.

The 25 year old spent the night in the hospital, immobilised with a compressive dressing and will decide in the next few days if he will undergo surgery to repair the fracture with a new plate, or let the bone heal itself without intervention. In either case, his presence in the Grand Prix of Catalunya, to be held on June 5th, is uncertain.

http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2011/Dani+Pedrosa+Repsol+Honda+Team+Le+Mans+RAC+2

Rob
16th May 2011, 19:30
:-s
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ld9h6v.jpg

Suzie
16th May 2011, 19:31

Gutted for poor Dani. He's constantly getting himself injured.

Rob
16th May 2011, 19:33
Paddock opinion of Simoncelli and Pedrosa clash
Sunday, 15 May 2011

The incident between Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) and Marco Simoncelli (San Carlo Honda Gresini Team) which occurred during the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France, caused much talk amongst the paddock, as to who was to blame for the incident and whether the ride through penalty was the correct decision.

The clash between the two Honda riders, put Pedrosa out of the race and cost him the chance to go top of the MotoGP World Standings. The Spaniard suffered a broken collarbone in the accident. Simoncelli’s manouerve was declared illegal by Race Direction and he was punished with a ride through penalty which dropped the Italian to fifth position, preventing him from a maiden rostrum finish. After much recent debate in the MotoGP paddock about safety issues and contact between riders, you can read the thoughts below of those involved, plus other rider’s and personnel on the moment the two riders locked horns.

Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda
”Simoncelli overtook me, I passed him back and I had the better line. He just came into me, releasing the brakes and I could do nothing. I leave here with a broken collarbone and he with a ride through penalty, good for him! Yet again I come out worse off. We only just recovered from the nightmare of the last operation and now I’m hurt again. It is very unfair, I don’t deserve it.”

Marco Simoncelli
“For me I haven’t done anything incorrect, so for me this is a race ‘action’ (incident). I saw in the video that his bike was hopping a little bit and he lost the line, he touched me, when I saw he couldn’t make the corner I picked the bike up but it was too late. He touched me on the back and he crashed. For me the punishment from Race Direction was because of all the controversy of the last few days, and from Estoril. For me if the same thing happened without me they would penalise nobody. This is my point of view.”

Valentino Rossi, Ducati Team
”For me, I think this time, Simoncelli was too hard, maybe it was a bit too aggressive, as Dani had no room to make anything. I think it’s also a mistake because at that part of the race Simoncelli arrive strong so maybe instead of overtaking Dani under braking, he could overtake him on the next lap.”

Alberto Puig, Pedrosa’s manager
“For a long while the fact that Simoncelli is dangerous has been talked about and I believe he really is ignorant, that he doesn’t understand anything about what’s going on. This guy has to be reprimanded, I hope the Security Commission does something because this isn’t the first time. He was already warned in Estoril, Lorenzo spoke with him and it seems he doesn’t take notice of anyone. For starters the manoeuvre is wrong, because Pedrosa had taken the position but he (Simoncelli) has tried to force it. Secondly, he’s made somebody crash and break a bone. This is something serious.”

Nicky Hayden, Ducati Team
”I’ve had one look at it so I didn’t really get to slow it down and watch it a couple of times, so I’m not really sure. It’s between them two, they don’t need me to weigh in on it as I’m sure everyone will have an opinion on it. Two guys racing hard, things can happen, there’s been a lot of drama this weekend, a lot of arm waving and this and that.”

Livio Suppo, HRC Communication and Marketing Director
“I think he did a mistake honestly, that can happen. Unfortunately it’s been a mistake with a bad consequence as Pedrosa was already in front of him and he (Simoncelli) closed the door and it was impossible for Dani to do anything.”
Casey Stoner, Repsol Honda
”I haven’t had a chance to see the incident yet so for me it’s impossible to make a judgement at this moment.”

Andrea Dovizioso, Repsol Honda
”I didn’t see on the tv so I can’t say something about that.” Referring to a similar incident that occurred during his race for Lorenzo, the Italian commented, “The important thing to understand is if the rider wants to do this or he just brakes too late. This is something dangerous; when the rider arrives too late, you don’t see the rider and this is not nice when you are riding.”

Rob
16th May 2011, 19:34

Gutted for poor Dani. He's constantly getting himself injured.

i know, im not that a fan of him. But i do like to see him do well, and this again isnt good for him. Hope he gets full recovery and back up to speed soon.

Forza Dani.

RockyRaccoon
16th May 2011, 21:11
Get in Rossi! :-D :-D

Gutted for Pedrosa, Simoncelli is mental!

That has to be one of the most undeserved P2's I've ever seen from Dovi, he should never have been fighting Ducati's and Yamaha's on that Honda. The Doctor almost showed him how it was done!

Tifoso
19th May 2011, 02:25
Just sitting down to watch the full race

1. Spectacular

2. Oh oh---more passing in 3 laps (among the leaders--passing backmarkers proves nothing) than in 1 season of F1 :-(

Oh oh....

Tifoso
19th May 2011, 02:51
It pains me to say it about someone of Italian blood, but Simoncelli is a moron. :furious

Bikus
19th May 2011, 21:03
It pains me to say it about someone of Italian blood, but Simoncelli is a moron. :furious

Moron ? I think this is not the right word for any rider in Moto GP . He made a mistake and I am sorry for Pedrosa but this is not the first time that we saw something like that in Moto GP or 500 ccm . Just remember what Rossi done to Stoner this year or to Sete Gibernau few years back . Is / was Rossi a moron ? I don´t think so . Pedrosa hits Hayden in Estoril even he was his teammate who was fighting for Championship . Was he a moron ? Sorry amico mio , but I had to react . :oops

Tifoso
19th May 2011, 22:11
Moron ? I think this is not the right word for any rider in Moto GP . He made a mistake and I am sorry for Pedrosa but this is not the first time that we saw something like that in Moto GP or 500 ccm . Just remember what Rossi done to Stoner this year or to Sete Gibernau few years back . Is / was Rossi a moron ? I don´t think so . Pedrosa hits Hayden in Estoril even he was his teammate who was fighting for Championship . Was he a moron ? Sorry amico mio , but I had to react . :oops

You know how much I value your opinion, amica mia.

I retract my statement :-)

Aussie
20th May 2011, 04:01
Looking good for stoner this year

Tifoso
20th May 2011, 15:56
Rossi will catch him and win the titles :lou

Aussie
23rd May 2011, 00:17
I dont think so

Tifoso
23rd May 2011, 17:19
I do :lou

scuderiafan
23rd May 2011, 17:21
I do :lou

i agree. or Jorge. Yamaha to get to pace.

kurski
25th May 2011, 07:32
Rossi will catch him and win the titles :lou

Rossi to win a race this year, 1-4 and next year is again in earnest in the championship. Of course, Rossi is a theoretical chance to win a championship this year yet, but I just can not believe it.

Rossi did not shift the risk of Ducati, I think that the professional men takes over and there is Rossi's own engineers involved with should not be a problem.

Bikus
27th May 2011, 08:59
:thumb Thanks Lou .

I also believe that Rossi can win the Title even I´m more Honda fan . ;-)

Tifoso
27th May 2011, 16:13
A pleasure, amica mia :-)

Tifoso
4th June 2011, 19:16
Qualifying for Catalunya

Marco Simoncelli shot into a surprise pole position in the last 30 seconds of qualifying, pulling out a fast lap of 1’42.413 in front of the Casey Stoner, who had otherwise lead the entire qualifying session, but was relegated to second. Stoner, who holds both the best pole position time and the fastest lap at the Montmelo track, qualified just 0.016s behind the Italian. Last year’s race winner Jorge Lorenzo completed the first row with a third fastest time of 1’42.728.

Ben Spies was in top form, just missing out on a front-row start by a margin of 0.014s, having held second in the timings with 3 minutes remaining. Spies will head the second row, in front of Repsol Honda rival Andrea Dovizioso. Finishing the second row is Cal Crutchlow (Monster Yamaha Tech 3), who matched his previous best grid position of 2011 in sixth

The Ducati Team duo head up the third row, with Valentino Rossi (Ducati Team) ahead of Nicky Hayden for the first time this weekend, followed by Álvaro Bautista (Rizla Suzuki), who finished fifth here last year and won the 250 race in 2009.

Completing the top ten in the session were Héctor Barberá (Mapfre Aspar) in ninth position followed by Hiroshi Aoyama (San Carlo Honda Gresini), who ran off the track earlier and was not able to better his best qualifying position of the season of tenth.

Karel Abraham (Cardion AB Motoracing) had an early crash at the start of the session, and rejoined the session after a medical check to finish in 15th.

Colin Edwards (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) and Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) will not be participating in this round due to injuries.

motogp.com

Ferrarichamp
4th June 2011, 19:30
I hope the Ducatis can aim for the podium, gotta keep the momentum going :cflag

scuderiafan
5th June 2011, 13:04
:-ZZ never thought that i would find an f1 race more exciting than a motogp race.

well done Casey and Jorger though :thumb.

i guess it may have just been because of Catalunya.

RockyRaccoon
5th June 2011, 21:32
That was literally the most boring MotoGP race I have ever watched!

Tifoso
5th June 2011, 22:18
:-(

Aussie
10th June 2011, 15:42
Casey had a awesome race

Ferrarichamp
10th June 2011, 16:32
Casey had a awesome race

2011 world champion.

scuderiafan
10th June 2011, 17:37
2011 world champion.

what about Jorge Lorenzo :-) :lol

Yamaha to stage a comeback, and since Jorge already has a lead, we shall see.

Ferrarichamp
10th June 2011, 17:41
For me Rossi and Stoner are the best riders. This year Stoner has the equipment to win, if I were to bet, my money would def be on Stoner.

Aussie
11th June 2011, 22:34
Stoner on pole.

Stoner to with this race my tip

Ferrarichamp
12th June 2011, 12:59
Stoner on pole.

Stoner to with this race my tip

:thumb

scuderiafan
12th June 2011, 13:02
NO! Jorge and ben wth! in the same lap aswell. lol at Sic though.

Tifoso
12th June 2011, 16:46
Go Rossi!

Bikus
13th June 2011, 09:30
Good race , oh and I´m so glad for Texas Tornado . :bow Simoncelli ... as usual . He forgot that DNF means 0 points . Well done Stoner .

RockyRaccoon
13th June 2011, 13:53
Weekend to forget for Rossi aswell as Ferrari. Why do I bother with the stresses of being a motorsport fan?!

Aussie
14th June 2011, 04:01
Good race , oh and I´m so glad for Texas Tornado . :bow Simoncelli ... as usual . He forgot that DNF means 0 points . Well done Stoner .

I think Stoner will walk away this year big call but he is very quick on the honda

Bikus
17th June 2011, 07:42
So far so good for Stoner . :thumb

RockyRaccoon
2nd July 2011, 13:07
Can things get any worse for Rossi this year? He's been outqualified by three guys on Ducatis!

Aussie
2nd July 2011, 21:35
Lol the ducatis are crap

scuderiafan
4th July 2011, 14:42
we have ourselves a title battle! go Jorge.

Yamaha :thumb but one little trhing. preferred their assen bike to this one.

Suzie
4th July 2011, 16:29
Best bit was Dovi getting past Stoner :-)

scuderiafan
4th July 2011, 17:08
Best bit was Dovi getting past Stoner :-)

:Hmm team orders coming soon? i was actually a little surprised that was allowed to happen.

Lorenzos 2 moves were perfect.

kurski
6th July 2011, 12:47
Precious-Burgess (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fi&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.omnicorse.it%2Fmagazine%2F10291 %2Fmoto-gp-ci-e-frizione-fra-preziosi-e-burgess-le-due-anime-ducati) is friction between the two souls Ducati?

Bikus
7th July 2011, 07:42
Precious-Burgess (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fi&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.omnicorse.it%2Fmagazine%2F10291 %2Fmoto-gp-ci-e-frizione-fra-preziosi-e-burgess-le-due-anime-ducati) is friction between the two souls Ducati?

Thanks for this articcle . Perhaps that is the problem since Rossi came to Ducati . Diffrent approach . It was easier work with Honda and Yamaha than in the Ducati . Burges had free hands in any way . Well , we´ll see what Rossi has to say .

scuderiafan
17th July 2011, 11:21
Anyone know how bad Motegi is really? i dont think it is as bad as the riders make out, and it seems to me like they are making something out of nothing with these radiation fears, and i feel a bit for Motegi.

i could be wrong though.

Sianellen
17th July 2011, 12:52
So happy for Pedrosa winning today. :-D

Ste
17th July 2011, 13:20
Good ride from Pedrosa today, faultless. Better from Lorenzo though, clearly with a worse bike and still managed to snatch 2nd in the dying moments.

Shame for Casey Moaner. Not.

I thought Bautista and Spies both had good races and it was a surprise to see Simoncelli stay on the bike for an entire race! :lol

scuderiafan
17th July 2011, 13:27
Good ride from Pedrosa today, faultless. Better from Lorenzo though, clearly with a worse bike and still managed to snatch 2nd in the dying moments.

Shame for Casey Moaner. Not.

I thought Bautista and Spies both had good races and it was a surprise to see Simoncelli stay on the bike for an entire race! :lol

pretty much what i think.

RockyRaccoon
17th July 2011, 14:04
Lorenzo is simply outstanding this year. Still holding out hope that Rossi will find some sort of breakthrough on the Ducati.

Rob
17th July 2011, 15:38
Lorenzo is simply outstanding this year. Still holding out hope that Rossi will find some sort of breakthrough on the Ducati.

:pray iam aswell. Really like to see him back up front mixing it up again.

Ste
17th July 2011, 15:58
:pray iam aswell. Really like to see him back up front mixing it up again.

He will. That bike is a dog, he will turn it around. Just takes time.

Look at Schumacher at Ferrari. Took him 5 seasons to win anything (although arguably it could/should have been quicker!).

Tifoso
17th July 2011, 16:19
I guess this is the "getting to know the bike/team" year :-s

We win next year :-)

Suzie
18th July 2011, 22:39
Very, very pleased that Dani P won - and won by beating Jorge and Casey fair and square. Don't expect him to do that very often but it was satisfying! No more injuries please, Dani.

Aussie
19th July 2011, 05:12
Was a awesome race Shame for stoner :(

Bikus
22nd September 2011, 08:18
Was a awesome race Shame for stoner :(

Not anymore .;-)

Aussie
26th September 2011, 23:46
Yep The flying kangaroo is back and i hope he can rap it up in Australia

Bikus
16th October 2011, 16:18
What a great season for Stoner & Honda ! Well done and happy B-day !

Sianellen
16th October 2011, 22:44
Congrats to Stoner :-) Hope next year we can have more of a battle for the title.

Aussie
16th October 2011, 22:53
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI

Poltergeistes
16th October 2011, 23:35
As much as i find valentino amusing, i really really wished ducati would stuck with stoner, i'm a big ducati fan, and for that fact it's impossible not to like stoner.

Aussie
17th October 2011, 04:06
As much as i find valentino amusing, i really really wished ducati would stuck with stoner, i'm a big ducati fan, and for that fact it's impossible not to like stoner.

Hell no Stoner is good on the Honda

just like Mick:-)

epiclyaddicted
17th October 2011, 07:56
Congratulations Casey, he deserved to win the title.

Hopefully next year the Yamaha and the Ducati will be able to match the pace of the Honda. I want to see a proper three way fight between Stoner, Lorenzo, and Rossi.

m schumy
17th October 2011, 09:09
Congrats to Stoner, he was the best this season. Hopefully Rossi will be able to challenge him next season :-)

Ferrarichamp
17th October 2011, 09:18
Jorge who? :-D

Ste
17th October 2011, 11:14

Jorge is the one with the significantly slower bike and half a missing finger. :-)

Aussie
17th October 2011, 20:50

Rossie who. At least stoner can win on the duke

Tifoso
17th October 2011, 20:53

The duke is a dog this year. Stoner would have scored fewer points than Rossi did. :-)

Ste
17th October 2011, 20:54

Unlikely. The Honda wasn't that as good as it was this year in 2010 and before.

Poltergeistes
17th October 2011, 21:17
What let me down about Rossi was simply the way he acted about yamaha, saying that they had to back him or he was going to get out, surely it was not like yamaha was pulling a mclaren on Rossi, he simply demands the team to only back him up, i just didn't expect a rider that good to be having to act all hamilton like and give the team an ultimatum.

Saying that the team could only back one rider, thats a load of crap to me, i think it says alot more about the rider when he wins a championship surpassing the guy who has the same equipment and personnel as he has.

To me for being a ducati fan i want the team to win the championship not just the rider.

Tifoso
17th October 2011, 21:42
To me for being a ducati fan i want the team to win the championship not just the rider.

Exactly!

RockyRaccoon
17th October 2011, 22:09
Truthfully Stoner would have done better than Rossi on the Ducati this year but you just have to look at Hayden to see the bike is rubbish compared to the last few years. Fingers crossed for next year, seems I'm a curse...Ferrari, Ducati, Plato, Loeb!!

Tifoso
17th October 2011, 22:15
Truthfully Stoner would have done better than Rossi on the Ducati this year but you just have to look at Hayden to see the bike is rubbish compared to the last few years. Fingers crossed for next year, seems I'm a curse...Ferrari, Ducati, Plato, Loeb!!

*quickly blocks RockyRaccoon from being to able to add me to his friends list*

:-D

Aussie
19th October 2011, 19:25
Well in moto gp I follow the rider. But stoner is the best power slider in moto gp I love watching him drift around corners

Bikus
23rd October 2011, 08:58
Oh my God what a crash .

Julie B
23rd October 2011, 09:01
Thoughts are with Simoncelli, hope he's OK

Bikus
23rd October 2011, 09:02
Marco is critical .

Julie B
23rd October 2011, 09:03
From Autosport

The Malaysian Grand Prix has been cancelled after an accident involving Gresini Honda's Marco Simoncelli.

There has been no official news on Simoncelli's condition, but organisers took the decision to cancel the race following a crash on lap two.

A bulletin from the organisers said: "Race cancelled as the medical centre staff is focusing on treating Marco Simoncelli and track action cannot be resumed in the current circumstances."

The Italian had been fighting with Alvaro Bautista for fourth when he lost the front of his bike and slid across the track, into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, both of whom appeared to hit the Honda.

Edwards was able to walk away from the crash but suffered a dislocated shoulder, while Rossi able to continue.

Concern centres on Simoncelli, who lay stricken on the track, his helmet having come off during the incident.

He was taken by ambulance to the circuit's medical centre.

Julie B
23rd October 2011, 09:06
Reports on Twitter are saying they've announced he's died :-s

Julie B
23rd October 2011, 09:11
From Autosport...such sad news...

Marco Simoncelli has died from the injuries he sustained in a crash on the second lap of the Malaysian Grand Prix. He was 24.

Simoncelli was fighting for fourth with Alvaro Bautista when he lost the front of his bike and slid across the circuit, into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, both of whom appeared to hit the Honda.

Simoncelli lay stricken on the track after the crash, his helmet having come off during the incident.

He was taken by ambulance to the circuit's medical centre, but at 4.56 it was announced he had succumbed to his injuries.

Bikus
23rd October 2011, 09:12
Oh no ...What a sad news . I m complitely lost . I know how I felt when Kato died but this time ...oh my God .
RIP Marco

m schumy
23rd October 2011, 09:14
RIP Marco Simoncelli, terrible loss and shocking as well :-s

Bikus
23rd October 2011, 09:16
Poor Gressini this his second rider who dies . He must be emotionaly destroyed .

Sianellen
23rd October 2011, 09:24
RIP Marco Simoncelli :'-( Such horrible news.

Suzie
23rd October 2011, 09:38
I didn't get up to watch the race this morning and I'm glad. I feel completely devastated.

Aussie
23rd October 2011, 09:38
Gutted so up set I saw it live and I feel sick

scuderiafan
23rd October 2011, 10:22
:-( too soon Marco RIP.

we have lost a real potential star. i'm in shock. :-(

Rob
23rd October 2011, 11:50
:-( RIP Marco, young star and future Champion taken way to early.

Tony
24th October 2011, 15:07
What a terrible accident.... horrific..... RIP Marco :-(

Tifoso
24th October 2011, 16:21
Eternal rest grant unto him, o Lord....

I don't think I can keep watching this, TBH :-s

Aussie
25th October 2011, 23:12

Marco will still be watching it up there

I love Moto Gp to much to stop watching it

Tifoso
25th October 2011, 23:13
You are braver than me mate.

Ste
26th October 2011, 10:00

It was a freak accident Lou. Nothing could have prevented that. I have never seen a bike continue to grip after it's laid down like that. He was never going to survive being hit in the neck and chest area by two other bikes - regardless of whether his helmet came off or not.

I'm sure Marco or his family wouldn't want you to stop watching because of this. They all know the risk. It's a sport with danger that can never be taken away, the rider will always be at risk. But, fortunately, these things rarely happen.

Tifoso
26th October 2011, 15:43
It was a freak accident Lou. Nothing could have prevented that. I have never seen a bike continue to grip after it's laid down like that. He was never going to survive being hit in the neck and chest area by two other bikes - regardless of whether his helmet came off or not.

I'm sure Marco or his family wouldn't want you to stop watching because of this. They all know the risk. It's a sport with danger that can never be taken away, the rider will always be at risk. But, fortunately, these things rarely happen.

It happened just last year mate (admittedly in Moto2)

Ste
26th October 2011, 15:56
It happened just last year mate (admittedly in Moto2)

Yea, I know. We had the two awful incidents in the last year but the one prior to that was 8 years ago.I think the only thing they can look at is the chin strap on the helmet.

Although, some riders have airbags in their overalls, or they've at least been tested. The initial fall may not have been enough to set it off though. That seems the only way they can be more protected than they are at the moment.

Tifoso
26th October 2011, 18:19
Yea, I know. We had the two awful incidents in the last year but the one prior to that was 8 years ago.I think the only thing they can look at is the chin strap on the helmet.

Although, some riders have airbags in their overalls, or they've at least been tested. The initial fall may not have been enough to set it off though. That seems the only way they can be more protected than they are at the moment.

Airbags in the overalls? :-E

vagos
26th October 2011, 19:37
good bye Marco .......... :-( i am so shocked since the day i learned the news!!!!.......... tomorrow is the funeral..... valentino rossi is wrecked but he said on the media that he will continue racing............

Rest in peace Great Simoncelli!!!!

Aussie
6th November 2011, 05:19
Last round Stoner on pole

Suzie
6th November 2011, 09:53
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2011/Valencia+pay+tribute+to+Marco+Simoncelli

Marco Tribute at Valencia this morning. Really moving to see all the bikes followed by the fireworks :-s

Sianellen
6th November 2011, 10:00
:-( can't stop myself

Ste
6th November 2011, 11:06
A really great tribute to Simo.

epiclyaddicted
6th November 2011, 11:40
Great tributes at the start of BBC's coverage as well, don't think it has quite sunk in for me yet. :-(

Sianellen
6th November 2011, 11:55
So wonderful to see all these tributes. It is great that they are all celebrating him, instead of mourning him.

Aussie
6th November 2011, 18:35
What a awesome race stoner what a champ bring on next year

Sianellen
20th November 2011, 10:33
Suzuki withdraws from MotoGP but leaves door open for 2014 return

Friday, November 18th 2011, 09:17 GMT

Suzuki has confirmed that it is pulling out of MotoGP - but suggested its absence will be temporary and that a 2014 return is on the cards.

The future of Suzuki's MotoGP programme had been in doubt for months, with the reduction to a single works bike this season widely regarded as a precursor to a full withdrawal.

It did not join fellow works teams Honda, Ducati and Yamaha in publically testing a 1000cc bike for the 2012 rules, although there were suggestions that such a bike was under development and that the factory team would start the season with its old 800cc machine before switching to the new bike later in the year.

But today the company issued a statement blaming global economic circumstances for the decision to suspend its MotoGP programme for at least two seasons.

"Suzuki Motor Corporation has decided to suspend temporarily its participation in FIM Road Racing Grand Prix MotoGP from 2012," said the statement.

"This suspension is to cope with tough circumstances mainly caused by the prolonged recession in developed countries, a historical appreciation of Japanese Yen and repeated natural disasters.

"Having an eye to returning to MotoGP in 2014, Suzuki will now focus on developing a competitive new racing machine for that class.

"Suzuki will continue motocross racing activity and support of road racing activities using mass-produced motorcycles, by obtaining FIM homologation and co-operation with the supplier of its development racing kit parts."

Suzuki's 2011 rider Alvaro Bautista has already signed for Gresini Honda for next year. The team had tested ex-Pramac Ducati rider Randy de Puniet at Valencia last week.

The most recent Suzuki win in MotoGP was Chris Vermeulen's triumph in the wet 2007 French Grand Prix, with Kenny Roberts Jr the last man to achieve championship success on a Suzuki in 2000.

Tobes
3rd May 2012, 17:57
Not started any better this year has it...? :-s

Ste
3rd May 2012, 18:05
Nope. :(

I can see him retiring at the end of this season to be honest. He seems so downbeat and off with it all. It must be horrible for someone like him, someone who is always expected to deliver, to be so far off the pace.

There's no way Ducati are going to change that bike to a point where he is comfortable. Its very unlikely he'll end up at another team. It's a shame to see this partnership fail so badly. Unfortunately I can see this amazing guy's career gradually coming to an end in an embarrassing way. He's lost complete confidence in the bike that only a totally different ride will fix.

Spies needs replacing, get him back at Yamaha. (that'll never happen!).

Rob
3rd May 2012, 18:32
It is really sad to see this happening.Thought this pairing too was going to bring many good times, but atmo :Hmm:-s

Aussie
6th May 2012, 00:11
Rossi who?

Tobes
15th July 2012, 09:06
So VAG have bought Ducati, would imagine they will make a very competitive (if not world beating) MotoGP bike...

Hopefully this will be the start of the VAG/Ducati/Dr era... :-)

Tifoso
16th July 2012, 16:12
Who is VAG? :oops

Suzie
16th July 2012, 16:20
The Volkswagen Group, which Audi are part of - and Audi have bought Ducati.

Greig
16th July 2012, 16:51
might get a VAG cap :-)

Suzie
16th July 2012, 17:01
One with flaps at the side?

*runs away*

Tifoso
16th July 2012, 17:43
The Volkswagen Group, which Audi are part of - and Audi have bought Ducati.

Thanks for the clarification. That's that, then.

Tobes
16th July 2012, 19:12
Who is VAG? :oops

VAG is (as has been said) Volkswagen Audi Group, who own Skoda, Seat, Volkswagen, Audi, Lambo, Bentley, Bugatti and some i've probably forgotten, and now Ducati...

Apparently the bosses at Audi have told Ducati to get Vale to 'sign on the dotted line', Audi don't fail at anything they set out to do, am thinking Ducati will have a bike that can challenge for the title in a couple of yrs... :-D

Tifoso
16th July 2012, 19:23
VAG is (as has been said) Volkswagen Audi Group, who own Skoda, Seat, Volkswagen, Audi, Lambo, Bentley, Bugatti and some i've probably forgotten, and now Ducati...

Apparently the bosses at Audi have told Ducati to get Vale to 'sign on the dotted line', Audi don't fail at anything they set out to do, am thinking Ducati will have a bike that can challenge for the title in a couple of yrs... :-D

:-E :-(

sav_pap
17th July 2012, 17:06

Imo from next year ducati will be in position to claim the title. Recently the results have become very promising.
Only concern is Vale. Will he be in position to fight for it, as years pass rapidly when a rider is over 30? (Gallina Vecchia). Also Nicky has shown that he starts to find bike's feeling.

Tifoso
17th July 2012, 17:32
Imo from next year ducati will be in position to claim the title. Recently the results have become very promising.
Only concern is Vale. Will he be in position to fight for it, as years pass rapidly when a rider is over 30? (Gallina Vecchia). Also Nicky has shown that he starts to find bike's feeling.

LOL :-D

Tobes
17th July 2012, 19:10

Thinking to expect instant results would be a tad hopeful, but I hope you're right... :thumb

Also, word is that Cal has dibs on Nicky's seat next year, don't know how true that is, Marquez already has got Casey's bike for next year...

Rob
18th July 2012, 21:49
Marlboro could lead to Rossi at Yamaha

ALBERTO GOMEZ. MADRID 17/07/12 - 18:05.

Valentino Rossi is a King Midas though it does not have a kingdom in motorcycling. His reputation pervivirá even when he is gone from the paddock. And his charisma, spite of them to many other drivers, is still the engine that encourages a majority of fans worldwide. only need to see the dedication that dispenses a newcomer to the World as Audi , the new owner of Ducati, resting at his figure and tries to give all that ask. Not the sweet candy that years ago everyone wanted to try but still retains some charm and is appealing for any sponsor.

It is true that Honda and Yamaha are not interested in hiring. But this weekend in Mugello broke new rumors and evidence that something big is brewing around him . It seems so clear you can stay at Ducati. Their lack of confidence that the revolution can transform the décor Audi have it uneasy. And he moves other threads. Just in case.

Phillip Morris pulls hard to see your darling on a bike again winning
"I am excited about the project from Audi, but I have confidence that this can change any time soon. with Ducati we have tried everything for a year and a half and has not been possible, "confessed the other day . His skepticism contrasts with the ambition of the brand of the rings, so powerful in the automotive Borgo Panigale now wants to revive after its appropriation by EUR 900 million and aims to learn in the manufacture of motorcycle engines, small, like an introduction in its hybrid vehicles.

The doubts of Valentino
Rossi but it does not have them all. And several bands playing. A second current that began to be sick at Mugello. Phillip Morris, the owner of Marlboro snuff, always in love with Rossi, pushing hard to find a new way of commercial exploitation, media and always planned in parallel with the interests of Rossi.

Marlboro, in this sense can be the nexus where before there was rupture. And the perfect vehicle for It can return to a factory Yamaha. In fact, the Swiss company tries to bring Rossi to Yamaha and to sponsor a team for years and had red and white, along with Rainey, with Czech or Biaggi.

Yamaha is an ideal container for tobacco. First, because the Italian driver take back a move to Yamaha would be perfect for the protagonist, mounted on a very competitive M1 with a view also to a very juicy historical retirement for the Japanese. Then, because the factory does not have a sponsor Iwata to give color to their bikes, so there is no competition . And finally because if Lorenzo achieved the championship, second in MotoGP, would also have the number 1 and the curiosity to see him again confronted with the same weapons to Valentino .

The transfer to occur, could pose leave Ducati MotoGP
Rossi is a sea of doubts and between these two waters discussed in recent days. And although Yamaha is not a priority in repescarlo no problem, more under the arm bringing economic potential unparalleled in the paddock , no one puts as much money as Phillip Morris at the World- . Lin Jarvis, the athletic director, extends his hand, leaving behind misunderstandings when Rossi came to Yamaha. And, as confirmed in Onda Cero former manager of Lawrence, Mark Hirsch, Jorge's new contract clause was not established any anti Rossi.

What if no sponsor Ducati to stay? Audi would be embarrassed just landed in the championship, but perhaps rethink its MotoGP project. Who knows if the Germans, if they could not have Valentino, prayer candles and would leave the World Cup. Or the other way could pass for hire two new young drivers and start again. But the solution of the equation is an enigma. Until Rossi not clear

http://www.marca.com/2012/07/17/motor/mundial_motos/1342541130.html

Rob
18th July 2012, 21:51
Filippo Preziosi, General & Technical Director of Ducati Corse, spoke with motogp.com after the official MotoGP™ test at Mugello on Monday, after which the team would be staying for a further three days at the Tuscan circuit with its test team. The work to be carried out across the four days is extensive. Preziosi commented: "Now we are working on both the chassis and engine driveability. The problem is really huge. Last weekend was a step, but we know we have to work very hard to improve."

As announced earlier in the season, the race in Laguna Seca will see Ducati start using its number four engine, which is to be sealed before the race. This gives the Italian outfit the chance to use some of the tested items for the race. Preziosi outlined the plan: "In Laguna we will seal engine number four as planned. Engine number four is ready to use some additional parts we are developing. Some parts could be delivered directly to Laguna, and some other parts will be delivered in the following races. This depends on the final result, and only when we are sure that these parts give us an improvement in terms of performance."

The test did not start particularly well on Monday, with rider Valentino Rossi suffering an ECU failure, yet Nicky Hayden was able to put in some good laps and gave some good feedback. Preziosi was however pleased with both the riders’ and the team’s showing: "Monday was a half test with Valentino because unfortunately we had a hardware problem. So for safety reasons we stopped his test. So we got only half the information we need. It was a good test for Nicky, because we tested a lot of interesting things. At the end he was quite happy. To be honest, Nicky was good all weekend. Valentino did a wonderful race, starting unfortunately far back, but the pace was really good. Overall it was a nice weekend."

Apart from the items that could be introduced at the Laguna Seca round, Ducati is also working on further development in the four-day test, which Preziosi says will be made available for the next available testing slot. He did however remain tight-lipped on what the possible upgrades were: "Now we have to finish the test and try some new things. We will offer them to our riders in the next test they will do in August…but it’s a secret."

Suzie
7th August 2012, 17:20
Interesting read here about the (alleged) pending announcement that Vale's heading back to Yamaha:

http://motomatters.com/analysis/2012/08/07/this_time_for_real_yamaha_to_announce_ro.html?utm_ source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MotoGPMatters+%28MotoMatters% 29

It is a bit of a risk, announcing that Valentino Rossi will be switching to Yamaha just a couple of days after getting caught out by a hacked Twitter and email account. This time, though, confirmation is coming from multiple sources, including our own. Rossi will be leaving Ducati for Yamaha at the end of this season, with an official press release expected from Yamaha on the morning of August 15th, the Italian national holiday of Ferragosto, and the day before the paddock assembles at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Red Bull Indianapolis GP.

According to the Italian media, the decision was taken a few days after the US GP at Laguna Seca, a race which was typical of Rossi's experience with the Ducati: slow during practice, unable to make progress during qualifying leaving him to start from 10th, and topped off with a crash at the top of the Corkscrew. Rossi crashed on lap 30, losing the front while braking and still almost upright. Unable to get any heat into the tire, the front tire looked almost new, despite having nearly the full race distance on it. Ducati CEO Gabriele Del Torchio had flown especially to the US to present an offer to Rossi and convince him of the sweeping changes that Audi will help to bring about to the racing program, and at the Sachsenring and Mugello, Rossi had spoken to senior Audi executives about their plans for MotoGP. Ducati had even gone so far as to try to persuade Masao Furusawa, the former leader of Yamaha's M1 MotoGP project, to come to Ducati to help fix the bike.

Furusawa declined, as respected Japanese journalist Akira Nishimura reported on his Twitter page this morning after interviewing the former Yamaha man. Furusawa's reasons were deeply rooted in Japanese culture, and the strong bond between company and employee, even after the employment contract is terminated: it would not be right for a former employee to betray the company he worked for, and that was a step too far for Furusawa. The Japanese engineer revealed just how far Ducati were prepared to go to get help, telling Nishimura that Preziosi had said "I just want to make our bike better. It doesn't matter if I lose my position."

The Furusawa gambit was probably Ducati's last chance at getting Rossi to stay, and when it failed, Rossi made uip his mind. The only thing that Rossi wanted was a competitive bike for the beginning of the 2013 season. When Preziosi acknowledged he could not provide that, Rossi's decision was clear. At the age of 33, Rossi understands that he does not have many more seasons left in MotoGP. He cannot afford to wait for Ducati to build a competitive bike. If he wants to start challenging for podiums and wins again - and more importantly, start enjoying racing again, finding the pleasure in racing that gives him the energy to make it through the long slog of testing and training - then he needs to be on competitive machinery. The Yamaha is competitive now; the Ducati is clearly no such thing.

Rossi's departure from Ducati is a defeat for both parties, as a curious retraction from the Italian magazine Motociclismo's website makes plain. Motociclismo published quotes from Ducati PR manager Francesco Rapisarda, acknowledging that Rossi would leave Ducati. The story with quotes was then removed from the website - though picked up by the eagle-eyed GPOne.com, who also saved a copy of the quotes as a screenshot - and Rapisarda denied to GPOne that he had made those statements, while editorial staff at Motociclismo told GPOne that it was 'a misunderstanding'. Whether a Ducati spokesperson said those words or not, the underlying truth remains. Rossi left Honda for Yamaha to demonstrate that the rider was more important than the bike. His return to Yamaha from Ducati demonstrates that this is only true up to a point. There is a basic level of performance that is needed from the bike for a rider such as Rossi to be able to perform.

But the move - indeed, the threat of a Rossi departure - has already had a massive effect on Ducati. The Corse department are scheduled to hold a major meeting this week, to discuss their R&D strategy and plan for the rest of the season. Rossi's leaving will have a major impact on the testing schedule, and cause Ducati to rethink their R&D efforts. Though help from Audi will not be direct, they may be able to help in speeding up redesign and production of new parts, with new parts feeding into the process more quickly. Ducati may find themselves in a quandary: having a man widely acknowledged as one of the best and most sensitive development riders under contract, but unwilling to give away too much of their future development direction.

There is still one fly in the ointment for the Rossi-to-Yamaha story: Though Rossi will be taking a massive pay cut to return to Yamaha, and leaving most of his entourage behind (only his 'Australian' crew are expected to follow him, the group consisting of Jeremy Burgess, Alex Briggs, Bernard Ansiau, Brent Stephens and Matteo Flamigni) the factory is still without a title sponsor for the second year running. Rossi is expected to bring a sponsor with him, and though the appeal of the Italian is undiminished - his name is far, far bigger than the sport, a risk to the future of the series itself once he retires - the pen has not yet been put to paper. Once that hurdle has been cleared, then the deal can be announced officially.

We realize that after being tricked by a hacked Twitter and email account, our credibility has suffered when it comes to Rossi's move to Yamaha. The Twitter and email messages about Rossi visiting Yamaha's HQ in Amsterdam may have been faked. But as many people pointed out, Rossi does not need to fly to Amsterdam to sign a contract with Yamaha. Just because he wasn't at Schiphol-Rijk, it doesn't mean that Rossi hasn't signed for Yamaha.

Rob
7th August 2012, 18:13
Rossi's Yamaha Piano
with MotoGP and Superbike

Milan, August 2, 2012

Two years with Lorenzo, then the transition to the derivatives to become the first champion in all categories
At decisive for the future of Valentino Rossi, Yamaha supply interesting details emerge. That not only affects the next two seasons in MotoGP, but also the opportunity to debut the new Superbike at the end of 2014. The Iwata brand is planning to return in the series derived from a year ago and left to rely on Rossi's lead and technical lead driver in the mouth-watering to promoter Flammini and Mediaset, which from 2013 will send the Superbike.

Valentino Rossi of Yamaha at the time. LaPresse
CHOICE - The Ducati has requested a response by Saturday, Smith said that it will clarify the future before the GP of Indianapolis, scheduled for Aug. 19. The ability to close his career in the World has relaunched Max Biaggi and Marco Melandri is an integral part of the proposal that Rossi is considering. In the immediate, in-house team would have a place alongside Jorge Lorenzo and the certainties techniques to fight for the victory. In the long term could become the reference for the development of the flagship sports to replace the existing YZF-R1.

PRIMACY - Rossi has spoken several times of the prospects for concluding a career in Superbike. With the Yamaha could get there in 2015 to try to become the only rider ever to win a World Cup in all categories in which he raced: 125, 250, 500 and MotoGP are already on board, would complete a Superbike trophy unattainable.

PREVIOUS - Rossi would be putting in the new venture at age 36, the same as when Biaggi won his debut in Qatar with the Suzuki. The title came three years later with the Aprilia, the only one in Italian Superbike. Melandri instead he took the plunge in 2011, at age 28, just with Yamaha at the end of the season closed the internal team to focus technical and financial resources on MotoGP.

Rossi led a Yamaha Superbike in 2010

LEVIED - The Superbike has important commercial implications and leaving the spotlight to the competitors weigh. So Japan has already started a comeback: the design of the new maxi is the longest and most delicate, because BMW, Kawasaki and Ducati have upped the ante, proposing the motion of series of 190 horses at reasonable prices. To return to roar on the market serves a motion powerful, attractive, innovative and low cost. But that version of tenders, technical solutions better than the competition. The prototype will be ready to start the Superbike 2014 and Rossi could deal directly with the last stage of development.

TEST - Valentino has already led the Yamaha Factory Superbike summer of 2010 to pick up the pace after a serious fracture in his right leg in Mugello. He walked half a day in Brno, now equaling the record of the track and solving the problems of development cited by the owner Cal Crutchlow. That in the next race, at Silverstone, taking advantage of the structure of Rossi, his first center (double) victory.

SUZUKA - Rossi's Superbike has raced and competed in two 8 Hours of Suzuka with a Honda-VTR1000 SPW, excavated in the 2001 paired with Colin Edwards. The Yamaha has won 74 races in the Superbike, the first in 1988 in Sugo (Japan) with Michael Doohan. The only World Cup is in 2009 with Ben Spies. Last year, Marco Melandri won three times, finishing 2 nd behind the Ducati's Carlos Checa.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Motomondiale/MotoGP/02-08-2012/piano-yamaha-rossi-motogp-superbike-912079412165.shtml