PDA

View Full Version : Le-Mans 24hr 2011 news

Rob
6th June 2011, 20:00
Its that time of year again. The most famous 24hr enduro is this weekend. Live coverage all weekend on Eurosport1,2&HD :thumb

Will use this thread for all the weeks news in the build up to the race Saturday, and qualie with the first session Wednesday evening at 21.00.

After many minor niggles affected all 3 Audi's at Spa, Allan McNish is confident that they are on the pace with Peugeot.

Allan McNish commented:"At the test day and at Spa it appeared that the Peugeots may be a little bit more economical with their fuel but we have done further develoment and are confident this is not the case, the fuel load for the diesels has come down significantly from 2010 - from 81 litres to 65 litres - and we are still learning from this, also we believe top speed between us and the Peugeots is much the same here. The team is very motivated to score another victory for Audi"

4 times winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Corvette Racing, Jan Magnussen is looking forward to the start of the race on Saturday.

“Le Mans is the biggest event of the year for Corvette Racing. As soon as the race is over, we start to get ready for the next one. The American Le Mans Series is important as well for Corvette, but everything we do is towards performing well at Le Mans. When I first came to Le Mans, I didn’t like the race much, mostly because I was not driving a winning car, but also because 24 hours is very long. Now, I really enjoy the whole week and to me, this is the best event of the year. There are many, many Danish fans, who are very supportive. The race will be tough but I expect to win!”

he nine drivers of the Peugeot team did not arrive at the "pesage" in the conventional way, but on their bikes! Simon Pagenaud speaks of the experience.

Simon Pagenaud: "We started this morning at Chartres, accompanied by a convoy to ensure our safety. Everything went well, we travelled 130 km at 30 km/h average, which is not bad. It was the best way to start this crucial week for us. This strengthens the team that is already close. Stéphane Sarrazin won the sprint to the "Le Mans" city sign. "

Rob
6th June 2011, 20:01
After many years running Porsches in endurance racing, Larbre Competition opens a new chapter running a Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 as their official team in GTE AM.

Jack Leconte, owner and team manager of Larbre Competition says:" I am very proud that a manufacturer has trust in us, the best recognition of our know how, after many years in French GT's Patrick Bornhauser joined us on the international scene, along with Gabriele Gardel who has been a pillar of the team for many years alongside Julien Canal - Gardel and Canal of course winning LM P1 in 2010 with the Larbre Saleen for us"

He went on to say: "We have many sponsors - Michelin, McDonalds, BSI, Charmant Z, Demeco who have joined with us in this ambitious project. We started at the ILMC at Sebring, but we had an electrical problem and had to retire early in the race, but we had a better result at Spa where we finished 3rd in class, we are still running a Porsche 911 RSR #70 this year alongside the Corvette, so we will be very busy!"

ML have a very experienced driver line-up for Le Mans 2011. For Ben Collins it is his second 24 hours (first in 2002) for Mike Newton it is his 9th participation, and for Tommy Erdos 13th. A strength in depth for this British LM P2 team running the HPD ARX01D #36.

Last year's Le Mans Series LM P2 champions are confident and looking forward to a great race. With the weather uncertain, Mike Newton commented that the potential of a wet race was both advantage and disadvantage.

Mike Newton driver of RML HPD #32: "In the wet it is not always about pace. We are running a low downforce configuration and it could be a handfull." but he is confident in the car and the Honda engine. "The car is teriffic, no problems."

Rob
6th June 2011, 20:04
http://i51.tinypic.com/200bjlw.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/23iwfgn.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/b6tz78.jpg

Tifoso
6th June 2011, 20:19
Watched the Steve McQueen movie last night. :-)

Tommy_F
7th June 2011, 08:22
The l'endurance guide to this year's Le Mans 24 hours is out now, featuring drawings by @andyblackmore . - http://bit.ly/jKJfmd

http://twitter.com/#!/lendurancelive/status/77988031738544128

http://uppix.net/b/6/d/22fca99249278df71cfbc1950a093.jpg (http://uppix.net/b/6/d/22fca99249278df71cfbc1950a093.html)

http://uppix.net/d/a/e/2c85283b7addaad3fcaa20359b9a3.jpg (http://uppix.net/d/a/e/2c85283b7addaad3fcaa20359b9a3.html)

Rob
7th June 2011, 12:33
We will have to wait one more day to see the cars on the track, but this afternoon there is still plenty to interest the spectators to the circuit ...
All Day: Enjoy the calm - before the storm - to learn the history of the 24 Hours of Le Mans you can visit the Museum (located at the main entrance of the circuit) to admire some of the most famous cars that have started the race. In addition, a temporary exhibit honors the men and the cars that built the legend that is "Porsche. "

17h00: The drivers will be in front of their pit boxes to autograph cards and posters. More than just an autograph session, this meeting is an opportunity to exchange a few words with the heroes of the 79th Le Mans 24 Hours! Access will be free to all ticket general enclosure ticket holders (or practice day tickets).

17.00: Living legend from across the Channel, Ben Collins will sign his autobiography at the Museum of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Before joining the team RML (#36 Honda), for eight years he was the mysterious 'Stig' from the show "Top Gear" broadcast on the BBC.

22:00: The film "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen will projected on a giant screen placed in the pit straight of the circuit. The film where much of the racing footage was filmed at the 1970 race, was released on June 1 on DVD and Blu-Ray. Access is free to all ticket holders' general enclosure "(or practice day tickets), provided you have a voucher from the Museum of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Rob
7th June 2011, 12:34
Watched the Steve McQueen movie last night. :-)

great film, classic Lou, im going to have to buy that. Lost my copy few years ago :-s

Tifoso
7th June 2011, 16:57
Is there someplace online to watch this?

Tifoso
7th June 2011, 16:59
How can this not be on SPEED? :furious

Rob
7th June 2011, 19:23
:-sTen years ago, Audi entered the paddock at Le Mans in sadness. A few weeks earlier, Michele Alboreto had been killed on the track.

During the Test Day 2011 on 24th April, the rear wing of the Audi R18 carried the yellow and purple helmet colours of Michele Alboreto, in tribute to the brilliant Italian driver who came to Audi after a career in Formula 1 :-). During a test session at Lausitzring (Germany) in 2001, he was killed aboard his Audi R8. It was a blow for Audi and Tom Kristensen, the man with 8 wins who wrote the first line of his record at Mans alongside Alboreto. "I have nothing but good to say about Michael, I owe him so much. I met him first at Le Mans in 1997, on the Monday before the 24 Hours. This was my first participation, and we won together. It gave me confidence and I started the 24 hours of Le Mans with his support. He had so much experience ... He was intelligent, funny, and had a lot of heart. "

For Allan McNish, it was primarily the red suit of Scuderia Ferrari he saw regularly on the podium in F1: "A few days ago, I saw the documentary on Ayrton Senna. We see many pictures of Michele on the podium in Formula 1 because he was a Ferrari driver at the time. With Dindo we won the Petit Le Mans in 2000.” But the Scottish driver, keeps in mind the most painful weeks that followed his demise, as he was greatly involved at Audi. "He was a very easy, very fast, and had a lot of heart. His demise has been a real disaster.”

Dindo Capello, who shared with Alboreto (and McNish) the last podium of the Italian, the feeling is still immense and intense: "Michele, was my friend and my team-mate. The last great memory I have of him was the victory we shared together at the 12 Hours of Sebring, a month before his death. ", Capello looked at the Le Mans track and mentioned a recent tribute. "On April 25, ten years later, his family and driver friends were reunited. The adventure of Audi in endurance owes so much to his experience, gleaned both in Formula 1 and sports cars. " No doubt the crew of the Audi R18 TDI #3, will think of Alboreto on Saturday at 3pm at the start of the race.
http://i55.tinypic.com/73gwo9.jpg

Rob
7th June 2011, 19:25
Following the tragedies that hit Japan this year, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest has decided to mobilize support for Japan at the 79th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Twenty years ago a Mazda won on the Le Mans circuit. A historic achievement that was both a first in the history of the event and remains a feat unrepeated since then. Despite many attempts by the largest Japanese automakers, the trophy 24 Hours of Le Mans has never returned to the Land of the Rising Sun.

To commemorate this success but also and especially to be with all the Japanese friends of the 24 hours; fans, drivers, technicians, builders ... struck by the terrible tragedy of last March, in a country where the race of La Sarthe is legendary, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest is mobilizing special support.

Firstly, on track on Thursday, 9th June at 18 h 40, will be the legendary Mazda 787 B, victorious in 1991 and restored for this purpose, will take the circuit of its great success, in the hands of American actor Patrick Dempsey. The special demonstration drive will be repeated on Saturday, June 11 at 12h30 with Johnny Herbert at the wheel.

To participate in the exhibition "Le Mans to the Future", Nissan have sent an especially outstanding machine to La Sarthe: the Leaf RC NISMO. This model is the competition version of the Leaf, Electric Vehicle elected European Car of the Year 2011. The Nissan will participate in two driving sessions on the circuit 24 Hours (June 9 to 21h15-21h35 and June 11 to 12h10-12h30).

Another special event will be the gift and the auction of the starting flag of the 79th Le Mans 24 Hours, signed by all drivers in the race. This is the tricolor flag that Jean Todt, President of the FIA, will start the race with on Saturday, June 11 at 15:00 hours. This very special flag will be handed to the Japanese Automobile Federation to be sold to the highest bidder, the profit from the sale to be donated to the Japanese Red Cross.

This flag bearing the autographs of all the participants in the race will also be showcased at the traditional photo of all the drivers gathered for the occasion, at 13h45 on Saturday morning, along with representatives of Mazda, Toyota and Nissan.

At 14h15, in a break from the traditional order of anthems played before the start, the ACO has decided that the Japanese anthem would be played just before the Marseillaise, then they will ask the public massed around the track to join in a vibrant minute of applause in memory of victims of earthquake and tsunami of last March.

Finally, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest will present the Spirit of Le Mans trophy on Thursday, June 9 at 10h00 to Professor Yoshimasa Hayashi from Tokai University. This award is presented by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest to a personality who has best served the spirit of Le Mans ".

Franck Montagny expects a pole of 3:25.5 :-E:-E
What is your schedule for testing tomorrow?

Franck Montagny:"It's been established for about 15 days, Stephane Sarrazin will go out first, then Nicolas Minassian and finally myself."

What in your opinion, will be the pole time this year?

"This will depend on the weather. If it's pretty cool, but the track is dirty. I could see a pole in 3'25 "5."

Audi or Peugeot?
"I hope for the Peugeot 908 # 8!"

Who will qualify your car?
"Stéphane (Sarrazin). I will start as usual."

Do you like this time?
"It's difficult. Tension mounts on Saturday from 8 am. Even if you do not want to think about the thousands of spectators massed in the galleries you still remember where you are. To relieve pressure, I isolate myself and I listen to a song over and over."

Which one would listen to you this year?
"It will be "Evening Shadows" by Hubert-Felix Thiéfaine."

What is likely to happen at the start?
"The first lap is very difficult to manage. We have nothing to gain but when you are faced with very aggressive guys like Allan McNish, you must maintain your place. In addition, behind, there are "privateers" who want to take this opportunity to get noticed."

Benoit Treluyer (Audi No. 2) thinks the engine is the highlight of the Peugeot 908. Is this your opinion too?
"It was the strength of the old car and hopefully the new one too."

And their weakness?
"Maybe their drivers perhaps!"

Finally, what is the strength of the Audi R18?
"Its engine!"

Rob
7th June 2011, 19:31
How can this not be on SPEED? :furious

let me check mate....

its on Speed Lou, 08.30am-11.30am ET Speed tv and 11.30am-15.30 ET Speed.com then 15.30-20.00 ET Speed tv, 20.00-23.00 ET Speed.com and then finally for the finish 23.00-09.30 Speed tv. Hope this helps Lou :-D http://www.speedtv.com/programs/24-hours-of-le-mans/

Rob
7th June 2011, 19:37
http://i55.tinypic.com/xf3uv.jpg

epiclyaddicted
7th June 2011, 19:48
Rob, is the full coverage on Eurosport, including Quali? Eurosport's scheduling is anything but reliable!

Rob
7th June 2011, 19:55
Rob, is the full coverage on Eurosport, including Quali? Eurosport's scheduling is anything but reliable!

i know. They can be abit hit and miss sometimes. But yeah it is , got practice tomorrow evening at 21.00 and then qualie Thursday night at 21.00

every night this week aswell, is Le-Mans 24 minutes, just half hour show with news and chat with drivers. Eurosport HD and 1 or 2 at 18.30. Tonight they had Fisi in there, nice interview and chat.

Nova
8th June 2011, 13:52
That 458 is the most beautiful Ferrari....I hope she runs well.

Tifoso
8th June 2011, 14:55
let me check mate....

its on Speed Lou, 08.30am-11.30am ET Speed tv and 11.30am-15.30 ET Speed.com then 15.30-20.00 ET Speed tv, 20.00-23.00 ET Speed.com and then finally for the finish 23.00-09.30 Speed tv. Hope this helps Lou :-D http://www.speedtv.com/programs/24-hours-of-le-mans/

Grazie mate!

Rob
8th June 2011, 19:21
Rockenfeller puts Audi top in practice

By Stuart Codling Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 18:19 GMT

Audi waited until the final half hour of first practice to show its hand as 2010 Le Mans winner Mike Rockenfeller topped the timesheets with a lap of 3m27.986s.

The four-hour session ended with a flurry as Audi and Peugeot traded fastest times.

Andre Lotterer was first to break through Peugeot's dominance with a 3m28.296 and even qualifying king Sebastien Bourdais could not quite match it with a final fresh-tyre run in the closing minutes. Then Rockenfeller chipped in to displace his team-mate with just a minute and a half to go.

Bourdais was the fastest Peugeot driver on 3m28.536s, third overall and less than a tenth of a second quicker than team-mate Alex Wurz in the #7 car.

The recent change in ballast regulations had a marked effect as the year-old ORECA-run Peugeot 908 HDi, which has been allowed to run 15kg less ballast, topped the timesheets for much of the session's opening two hours. The car, shared by Olivier Panis, Nicolas Lapierre and Loic Duval, posted a 3m30.096s lap which was not bettered until Simon Pagenaud sliced under the 3m30s barrier in his factory Peugeot 20 minutes shy of the half-way mark.

By the end, though, the pace of the factory entries told and the ORECA car finished the session seventh quickest, having not improved on its earlier time.

The session was red-flagged after an hour when Raymond Narac's #76 IMSA Performance Porsche 911 crashed heavily in the first section of the Porsche Curves. The car dislodged the end of the tyre wall and came to rest on the edge of the gravel trap, bringing on an 18-minute delay.

Lola chassis initially had the advantage among the petrol-powered LMP1 entries. The two Toyota-engined Rebellion coupes were quickest for much of the session, challenged mainly by the #15 and #16 Pescarolo-Judds. Their next quickest rival, the #20 Zytek, was five seconds adrift. At the end of the session Julien Jousse set a 3m34.271s in the #16 works Pescarolo, undercutting the #13 Rebellion Lola's best time, set by Jean-Christophe Bouillion, by just over a second.

Aston Martin's brace of AMR-Ones encountered mixed fortunes. Darren Turner reported that adjustments to the #007 car he shares with Christian Klien and Stefan Mucke improved its stability, closing the session with a quickest time of 3m46.299s. The #009 car covered just 11 laps before pitting for an extended stay in the garage while an oil leak was traced.

In spite of carrying additional ballast, Strakka Racing topped the LMP2 entries with its HPD ARX.01. Danny Watts, Jonny Kane and Nick Leventis set a quickest time of 3m42.863s, edging out the #48 ORECA Nissan shared by Alexandre Premat, David Hallyday and Dominick Kraihamer. A brake fire hindered the other pre-race favourite, the Newton/Erdos/Collins RML HPD ARX.01.

BMW set the pace in the GTE Pro class. Jorg Muller was first to break the four-minute barrier with a 3m59.028s in the #55 M3 GT he shares with Augusto Farfus and Dirk Werner, followed quickly by Andy Priaulx with a 3m59.763s in the #56 car.

There was a minor scare for Corvette Racing when the Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook car started smoking on its out-lap after the restart. The problem was traced to a dislodged power steering hose and the car went back out to record the third fastest time in the session, 4m00.467s.

The new Lotus Evoras propped up the GTE Pro class, the fastest time of 4m09.576 coming at the hands of Johnny Mowlem. The Jetalliance team is pinning its hopes on an economy run. "We're going to try to squeeze 15 laps out of a tank and get triple stints out of the Michelin tyres," said Mowlem. "We've got three consistent drivers so we're hoping for a good result."

The #71 AF Corse Ferrari shared by NASCAR racer Michael Waltrip, Robert Kauffman and Rui Aguas suffered a left rear puncture while Kauffman was at the wheel and limped back to the pits during the stoppage.

Fabien Giroix, Michael Wainwright and Roald Goethe dominated GTE Am in their Gulf AMR Aston Martin, setting a quickest time of 4m04.702s, comfortably quicker than the 4m06.266s posted by Darren Law in the #81 Flying Lizard Porsche 911.

Roger Wills had a gyration at the exit of Porsche Curves in the #62 CRS Racing Ferrari just before the half-way point of the session and hit the wall, damaging the car.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92076

Rob
8th June 2011, 19:23
British aces promise 'flat-out' scrap

By Gary Watkins Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 18:26 GMT

British sportscar stars Allan McNish and Anthony Davidson are predicting that the hordes of fans flocking to this weekend's Le Mans 24 Hours are in for a treat.

The pair, who go head to head for Audi and Peugeot respectively, are certain that it will be a close race between the two heavyweight manufacturers. Both used the term 'flat-out sprint' in their predictions for the big race that starts at 3pm local time on Saturday.

McNish, who is teamed with his 2008 Le Mans co-winners Tom Kristensen and Rinaldo Capello in the #3 Audi R18 TDI, said: "Everything points to it being really close. I see all six factory cars having the speed to be fighting with each other right through the race.

"I think we are in for a hard weekend and that means the fans are in for a good weekend."

Davidson, who shares his Peugeot 908 with Alex Wurz and Marc Gene, said: "I want a good race and I think it will be a good race. The fans are in for a treat. This year's Le Mans has all the makings of a classic.

"Last year, our car was leading and we were controlling our advantage. That is a luxury we won't have this year. We had our electronic problem after eight hours, which was when the fight-back started. I am sure we are going to have to drive that way all race long this time.

"The same goes for the Audi drivers. When you drive at 100 percent, mistakes are made. That's what is going to make it so interesting."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92077

Rob
8th June 2011, 19:28
Grazie mate!

il vostro benvenuto :thumb

this years race is going to be cracker. Audis and Pugs going at it for full 24hrs, wow. Just hope that Audi has bit more of an answer to them then in Spa. But, this id the 1 Audi gears up for, so :pray

The GTE class is yet again going to be so so close. The mighty Vettes are strong as always, BMWs, looking faster this year, and Porsches are good of the race distance. 458s seem to be better on fuel consumption and have got the pace. My eyes are not going to off this battle. Dont want say they will win, as it looong race, i do so want them too. :thumb:thumb

Tifoso
8th June 2011, 20:05
il vostro benvenuto :thumb

this years race is going to be cracker. Audis and Pugs going at it for full 24hrs, wow. Just hope that Audi has bit more of an answer to them then in Spa. But, this id the 1 Audi gears up for, so :pray

The GTE class is yet again going to be so so close. The mighty Vettes are strong as always, BMWs, looking faster this year, and Porsches are good of the race distance. 458s seem to be better on fuel consumption and have got the pace. My eyes are not going to off this battle. Dont want say they will win, as it looong race, i do so want them too. :thumb:thumb

Wait---no Ferrari's (I've never watched a real race for more than a minute or two)?

Tommy_F
8th June 2011, 22:02
Wait---no Ferrari's (I've never watched a real race for more than a minute or two)?

The 458s are Ferraris! Ferrari 458 Italia (GT or GT2? GTC?)

Here's the Spotter Guide(huge pic with every car so you can recognize/SPOT them during the race) with every car competing this year:

http://www.spotterguides.com/le-mans-2011-guide

Tifoso
8th June 2011, 22:36
I know, but Rob didn't mention them...I figured they didn't race it. :oops

Thanks for the pics!

Tifoso
8th June 2011, 22:59
Why doesn't Ferrari run an entry in the "F1-looking" cars?

Be nice, I'm new :-D

Nova
9th June 2011, 01:35
Qualy practice....In our class..BMW/458/BMW Going to be tight...

Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. LMP1 Montagny/Sarrazin/Minassian Peugeot 908 3m27.033s
2. LMP1 Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer Audi R18 TDI 3m27.939s
3. LMP1 Bernhard/Dumas/Rockenfeller Audi R18 TDI 3m27.949s
4. LMP1 Capello/Kristensen/McNish Audi R18 TDI 3m28.301s
5. LMP1 Gene/Wurz/Davidson Peugeot 908 3m28.796s
6. LMP1 Lamy/Bourdais/Pagenaud Peugeot 908 3m29.466s
7. LMP1 Lapierre/Duval/Panis ORECA Peugeot 908 Hdi-FAP 3m30.084s
8. LMP1 Collard/Tinseau/Jousse Pescarolo-Judd 3m35.456s
9. LMP1 Jani/Prost/Bleekemolen Rebellion Lola-Toyota 3m37.404s
10. LMP1 Belicchi/Boullion/Smith Rebellion Lola-Toyota 3m38.351s
11. LMP1 Monteiro/Moreau/Ragues Oak Pescarolo-Judd 3m39.672s
12. LMP1 Amaral/Pla/Hughes Quifel-ASM Zytek 3m41.019s
13. LMP2 Leventis/Watts/Kane Strakka HPD ARX-01d 3m42.615s
14. LMP2 Mailleux/Ordonez/Ayari Signatech ORECA-Nissan 3m43.124s
15. LMP2 Premat/Hallyday/Kraihamer Oreca-Nissan 3m43.654s
16. LMP2 Ojjeh/Kimber-Smith/Lombard Greaves Zytek-Nissan 3m43.814s
17. LMP2 Frey/Meichtry/Rostan Race Performance ORECA-Judd 3m44.294s
18. LMP1 Ickx/Martin/Leinders Kronos Aston Martin 3m44.415s
19. LMP2 Perez Companc/Russo/Kaffer Pecom Lola-Judd 3m45.997s
20. LMP2 Erdos/Newton/Collins RML HPD ARX-01d 3m47.308s
21. LMP1 Zacchia/Lammers/Elgaard Hope ORECA 3m47.691s
22. LMP2 Nakano/De Crem/Charouz Oak Racing Pescarolo-BMW 3m48.211s
23. LMP1 Hein/Nicolet/Yvon Oak Pescarolo-Judd 3m48.852s
24. LMP2 Tucker/Bouchut/Barbosa Level 5 Lola-Honda 3m51.149s
25. LMP2 Rosier/Haezbrouck/Fournoux Extreme Limite Norma-Judd 3m51.438s
26. LMP1 Primat/Fernandez/Meyrick Aston Martin AMR-One 3m56.637s
27. LMP1 Mucke/Turner/Klien Aston Martin AMR-One 3m56.847s
28. LMP2 Barlesi/Da Rocha/Lafargue Oak Pescarolo-Judd 3m57.453s
29. GTE P Priaulx/Muller/Hand BMW M3 3m58.426s
30. GTE P Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander AF Corse Ferrari 3m58.989s
31. GTE P Farfus/Muller/Werner BMW M3 3m59.321s
32. GTE P Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook Corvette C6 ZR1 3m59.519s
33. GTE P Beretta/Milner/Garcia Corvette C6 ZR1 3m59.633s
34. GTE P Ortelli/Makowiecki/Melo Luxury Racing Ferrari 3m59.901s
35. GTE P Goossens/Holzer/Van Lagen Prospeed Porsche 3m59.962s
36. GTE P Lieb/Lietz/Henzler Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 3m59.998s
37. GTE P Farnbacher/Simonsen/Keen Farnbacher Ferrari 4m00.260s
38. GTE P Dolan/Hancock/Buncombe Jota Aston Martin 4m00.747s
39. GTE P Bergmeister/Long/Luhr Flying Lizard 4m01.480s
40. GTE P Beltoise/Jakubowski/Thiret Luxury Racing Ferrari 4m02.017s
41. GTE P Al Faisal/Tandy/Miller Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 4m02.049s
42. GTE A Bourret/Gibon/Belloc Larbre Porsche 4m03.918s
43. GTE A Niemen/Law/Pumpelly Flying Lizard Porsche 4m04.747s
44. GTE A Giroix/Goethe/Wainwright Gulf Aston Martin 4m04.825s
45. GTE A Felbermayr/Felbermayr/Ried Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 4m05.154s
46. GTE A Krohn/Jonsson/Rugulo Krohn Ferrari 4m05.856s
47. GTE A Bornhauser/Canal/Gardel Larbre Porsche 4m05.955s
48. GTE P Bell/Sugden/Maasen JMW Ferrari 4m06.884s
49. GTE P Hirschi/Rossiter/Mowlem Jetalliance Lotus Evora 4m07.465s
50. GTE P Kauffman/Waltrip/Aguas AF Corse Ferrari 4m08.213s
51. GTE A Perazzini/Cioci/Breslin AF Corse Ferrari 4m10.316s
52. GTE A Rodrigues/Menahem/Marroc JMB ORECA 4m10.335s
53. GTE P Rich/Slingerland/Hartshorne Jetalliance Lotus Evora 4m17.379s
54. GTE A Ehret/Lynn/Wills CRS Ferrari 4m26.249s
55. GTE A Robertson/Robertson/Murry Robertson Racing Ford-Doran no time
56. GTE P Pilet/Narac/Armindo IMSA Performance Porsche no time

Rob
9th June 2011, 12:32
Second best time for Ferrari F458 driven by Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander during the first session qualifying of the 24H of Le Mans. The crew is far only few tenths from the first of GTE Pro category.

Positive laps also for the second Ferrari F458 lined up by the Italian team at the French endurance race. Robert Kauffman, Micheal Waltrip and Rui Aguas are getting acquainted with they new car (GTE Pro category).

The crew composed by Piergiuseppe Perazzini, Marco Cioci and Sean Paul Breslin will race the 24 Hour with Ferrari F430 GTE Am category. They were very fast but a mechanical problem has forced a long pit stop.

Rob
9th June 2011, 12:36
Four times winner Henri Pescarolo is also an inspired team owner. All young French pilots, who have passed through his hands, have then excelled in endurance. Three of them testify.
Jean-Christophe Boullion has enjoyed some of his finest moments with Pescarolo Sport: "My best memory with Henri, are the Le Mans Series titles and our two podiums at Le Mans in 2005 and 2006". Today he drives for the Pescarolo teams main competitor Rebellion Team Racing. Jean-Christophe Boullion remains close to the great Henri: "I may not have been the first to congratulate him on his victory in Le Castellet in 6 Hours April, but I certainly was not the last! "

Simon Pagenaud's involvement with Pescarolo Sport was brief, but memorable: "You feel dwarfed by a legend like Henri Pescarolo when you meet him for the first time! but he took me under his wing like a son". Today Simon Pagenaud desribes the degree of passion for the four-time winner: "I feel he is thinking constantly about the race. Henri is also a gladiator: he has had his fair share of challenges, but has always made it"

Benoît Tréluyer, driver of the #2 Audi R18 added with a smile: "Overall, older Pescarolo Sport drivers haven't made bad endurance career either. Moreover, if I were a manufacturer, I would not hesitate a second to give him a car, because the team does so much with little means!" The adventure with the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP Pescarolo Sport in 2009 was unfortunately cut short after an accident in the night, while Benoît Tréluyer was driving.

Tréluyer: "The telemetry data confirmed that I was not at fault. Henri also knows the difference between a technical problem and a driving error. He has regularly been in contact with me, and urged me to sign for Audi. But if the opportunity presents itself, I'd drive for him again with pleasure! "

Rob
9th June 2011, 12:52
the GTE class is going to all out srpint race. Really close. again this year. This is why love this type of racing. Tonight i think will see the times drop abit, as teams go for qualie trim. But, pole in this race doesnt really matter. Well it does as nice to get pole. but there 24hrs ahead.

Got my beer and food ready to sit down and watch it. ;-)

Tifoso
9th June 2011, 18:26
Why doesn't Ferrari run an entry in the "F1-looking" cars?

Be nice, I'm new :-D

Rob
9th June 2011, 18:42
the LMP class??

well, they would love too, LcDM said couple years back that he like Ferrari to go to Le-Mans with a full factory backed LMP (prototype). But, the resources to do so, wouldnt be there. As F1 team is main project and focus. It would be amazing if we did go there and go for overall win with a Ferrari LMP1 car be heaven, better than any F1 WCC, imo.

There 458 GTs, do get alot of backing from the factory aswell, lets hope they can go for the GT class win this year, that class is really tough. Real racing, 24hr sprint race really :-E

Rob
9th June 2011, 18:45
Corvette to consider entering WEC

By Kevin Turner Thursday, June 9th 2011, 13:43 GMT

Corvette Racing has welcomed the World Endurance Championship proposal and will consider contesting the series

The renamed GTE (formerly GT2) category, in which the Chevrolet Corvette C6.R is a frontrunner, forms part of the new championship, due to kick off next season.

Chevrolet already competes in the ALMS and Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, run to the same regulations as the Le Mans 24 Hours, and has not ruled out appearing in the new series.

Programme manager Doug Fehan said: "Everybody sees it as an interesting project. The relationship between the [WEC organisers] ACO and FIA has varied, sometimes up, sometimes down, but we're certainly going to look at it.

"It's a proposed concept, and I think it is a powerfully good idea. We'll wait for the details and see how it works to develop a strategy. We're excited."

Fehan added that a WEC assault would be "integrated" into the current programme if it was given the green light.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92090

Tommy_F
9th June 2011, 18:51
With the introduction of more and more severe Resource Restriction Agreements (and REAL ways of policing them, not just agreement between teams, but clear rules and limitations - it's blurry ATM, see accusations of RB breaking the RRA), there will only be a limited amount spent on F1, so who knows, maybe sometime in the future there will be funds and interest for an LMP entry :Hmm

The last time we ran(a Ferrari in LMP) at LeMans was '99, with the 333 SP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_333_SP).

Tifoso
9th June 2011, 18:57
With the introduction of more and more severe Resource Restriction Agreements (and REAL ways of policing them, not just agreement between teams, but clear rules and limitations - it's blurry ATM, see accusations of RB breaking the RRA), there will only be a limited amount spent on F1, so who knows, maybe sometime in the future there will be funds and interest for an LMP entry :Hmm

The last time we ran(a Ferrari in LMP) at LeMans was '99, with the 333 SP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_333_SP).

Thanks so much, amico mio! I would love to watch an old race with the 333SP online.

OT Glenn, where are you? :-s /OT

Rob
9th June 2011, 18:58
Lets hope 1 day we will return there. At least with Le-Mans can run v-10 or v-8s, teams are going bit smaller aswell in engines.

Be great for marketing aswell if did return fully backed factory team. Sure can make the car better looking than the 333SP :-??

Tifoso
9th June 2011, 19:10
Lets hope 1 day we will return there. At least with Le-Mans can run v-10 or v-8s, teams are going bit smaller aswell in engines.

Be great for marketing aswell if did return fully backed factory team. Sure can make the car better looking than the 333SP :-??

The 333SP is gorgeous.

Rob
10th June 2011, 13:36
Audi Sport Team Joest on pole at Le Mans
By Marcel ten Caat ⋅ June 9, 2011 ⋅

Benoît Tréluyer secured pole position for Audi Sport Team Joest in the final qualifying session ahead of the 79th 24 Hours of Le Mans. Tréluyer posted the fastest lap time, a 3:25.738, with just over forty minutes left in the night session. A stunning third sector meant the number 2 Audi R18 TDI took the pole away from team mate Romain Dumas, who will also start from the front row.

At 10 pm the final qualifying session kicked off and as the light at the end of the pit lane went green most cars went out for an attempt to improve their lap times. One of the drivers that managed to do just that was Tom Kristensen, who put his Audi in fourth place.
For the Peugeot team things went less smooth when the #7 Peugeot jumped the curbs and spun at the Ford Chicane, kicking off a lot of dust and scaring some photographers at the scene.

The Audi’s meanwhile continued to lap quicker and almost fifteen minutes into the session it was Romain Dumas who moved up into the top position after setting a 3:25.799. Behind him Kristensen and Bourdais improved their times but not their positions. Further down the field Marco Cioci in the #61 AF Corse Ferrari 430 moved to the top of the GTE Am field, ahead of some of the GTE Pro cars. That same GTE Pro category saw Augusto Farfus moving to the front, the BMW driver setting a 3:57.592. I

The session was red flagged when the Luxury Racing Ferrari 458 Italia #58 and the Aston Martin Racing AMR-One #009 went off at the Mulsanne Corner. Several teams reported oil and water on the run down to the corner.

Over 20 minutes later the session was restarted and for quite a while there as nobody improving its time. But then all of a sudden with 43 minutes left on the clock Benoît Tréluyer set a faster lap time and took the provisional pole time.

Several of the Peugeot and Audi drivers then tried to beat the provisional pole time and it was Kristensen who, after already going fourth fastest on a previous lap went faster in the first two sectors, before being pushed wide at the Porsche Curves trying to avoid a GT car. What would likely be the fastest time of the day – was turned into ‘just another lap’.

Simon Pagenaud was the next to go fast but after two fast sector times the Frenchman failed to improve in the third sector and did not take pole position. When Tom Kristensen went off at Tertre Rouge and hit the barriers on the outside of the track the session was over and Audi Sport Team Joest could celebrate their pole position.

Top three per class:

LM P1
1. #2 Audi Sport Team Joest – Audi R18 TDI – 3:25.738
2. #1 Audi Sport Team Joest – Audi R18 TDI – 3:25.799
3. #9 Team Peugeot Total – Peugeot 908 – 3:26.010

LM P2
1. #26 Signatech Nissan – Oreca 03 Nissan 3:41.458
2. #42 Strakka Racing – HPD ARX-01d – 3:42.615
3. #48 Team Oreca Matmut – Oreca 03 Nissan – 3:43.098

LM GTE Pro
1. #55 BMW Motorsport – BMW M3 GT – 3:57.592
2. #51 AF Corse – Ferrari 458 Italia – 3:58.040
3. #56 BMW Motorsport – BMW M3 GT – 3:58.426

LM GTE Am
1. #61 AF Corse – Ferrari 430 – 4:01.282
2. #63 Proton Competition – Porsche 997 GT3 RSR – 4:03.532
3. #81 Flying Lizard Motorsport – Porsche 997 GT3 RSR – 4:03.648

Rob
10th June 2011, 13:40
that was a good session. Shame about the red flag at end, it was bit anti climax. But great Fisi on front row of HTE class, looking good for AF Corse.

Tommy_F
10th June 2011, 17:11
Le Mans: on board with Sernagiotto in the 458 Challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4iwaeima_4&feature=feedu

epiclyaddicted
10th June 2011, 19:04
Yep, the BMW M3s have looked pretty quick, but hope the AF Course 458 Italias can take the fight to them over the duration of the race.

The battle up front for the lead prototypes will be unbelievable though, top 6 cars within half a second of each other on such a long track!! :-E

Rob
10th June 2011, 19:19
Yep, the BMW M3s have looked pretty quick, but hope the AF Course 458 Italias can take the fight to them over the duration of the race.

The battle up front for the lead prototypes will be unbelievable though, top 6 cars within half a second of each other on such a long track!! :-E

That is really unbelievable aint it. Who you think going to be on top sunday afternoon? Audi or Pugs?? so close to call i think. Pugs are wanting to make up for last year, and the Audis are always quick in pits and (always, most of times) reliable.

Rob
10th June 2011, 19:20
Ferrari front runners in Le Mans qualifying

Le Mans, 9 June – In front of grandstands packed since the early hours of this morning with fans keen to watch the 79th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours, qualifying for the famous marathon event ended at midnight, having decided the grid for the 15h00 Saturday start. The Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 No. 51 entered by AF Corse and driven by Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander set the second fastest time of 3.58.040, just 0.448 seconds slower than the quickest BMW Motorsport M3 GT which therefore takes pole for the LM GTE PRO class thanks to the efforts of Augusto Farfus, Jorg Muller and Dirk Werner. After the session, Giancarlo Fisichella was pleased with the car’s excellent performance and great stability. “We are happy with second place, even if we only missed out on pole by a whisker. Our race pace is excellent and during my turn at the wheel I managed to do a great time, even with the car on full tanks. The 458 is really nice to drive and we are all confident for the race, even if we are up against very well prepared rivals like the BMW.”

Among the other Ferraris, the Team Farnbacher car driven by Dominik Farnbacher-Allan Simonsen, Leh Keen, was fifth fastest in 3.59.519, while the Luxury Team 458 Italia GT2 in the hands of Stephane Ortelli-Frederic Makowiecki-Jaime Melo was eighth in 4.12.361. Rob Bell-Tim Sugden-Xavier Maasen (JMW Motorsport) are eleventh in 4.00.890 and thirteenth is the Luxury Racing entry driven by Anthony Beltoise-Philippe Thiriet-Francois Jakuboski in 4.01.176) ahead of the AF Corse car of Robert Kauffman-Michael Waltrip-Rui Aguas, fifteenth in 4.02.216.

In the LMGTE Class pole goes to the Ferrari F430 GTC entered by AF Corse and driven by Piergiuseppe Perazzini (4.01.282) crewed with Marco Cioci-Sean Paul Breslin, beating the Porsche of Felbeermayr Jr-Felbeermayr Snr-Christian Reid by over two seconds. Fifth is the JMB Racing Ferrari of Manuel Rodrigues-Jean Marc Menahem-Nicolas Marroc. Seventh place for the Krohn Racing crew of Tracy Krohn-Niclas Johnsson-Michele Rugolo, ahead of the CRS Racing F430 GTC of Pierre Ehrt-Roger Wills-Shaun Lynn, ninth in class.

epiclyaddicted
10th June 2011, 19:50
That is really unbelievable aint it. Who you think going to be on top sunday afternoon? Audi or Pugs?? so close to call i think. Pugs are wanting to make up for last year, and the Audis are always quick in pits and (always, most of times) reliable.

I think the Audis can do it again. I mean last year the Pugs were quite a bit quicker on outright pace, but they lost out big time to the Audis on reliability. This time, with Audi right up there on raw pace, I think they can do it again. I hope so anyway!

scuderiafan
10th June 2011, 19:57
Aston for the Win! :lol

seriously, im disappointed. i was rooting for them to build on last year.

i think Audi will win.

Tifoso
10th June 2011, 20:25
Ferrari front runners in Le Mans qualifying

Le Mans, 9 June – In front of grandstands packed since the early hours of this morning with fans keen to watch the 79th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours, qualifying for the famous marathon event ended at midnight, having decided the grid for the 15h00 Saturday start. The Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 No. 51 entered by AF Corse and driven by Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander set the second fastest time of 3.58.040, just 0.448 seconds slower than the quickest BMW Motorsport M3 GT which therefore takes pole for the LM GTE PRO class thanks to the efforts of Augusto Farfus, Jorg Muller and Dirk Werner. After the session, Giancarlo Fisichella was pleased with the car’s excellent performance and great stability. “We are happy with second place, even if we only missed out on pole by a whisker. Our race pace is excellent and during my turn at the wheel I managed to do a great time, even with the car on full tanks. The 458 is really nice to drive and we are all confident for the race, even if we are up against very well prepared rivals like the BMW.”

Among the other Ferraris, the Team Farnbacher car driven by Dominik Farnbacher-Allan Simonsen, Leh Keen, was fifth fastest in 3.59.519, while the Luxury Team 458 Italia GT2 in the hands of Stephane Ortelli-Frederic Makowiecki-Jaime Melo was eighth in 4.12.361. Rob Bell-Tim Sugden-Xavier Maasen (JMW Motorsport) are eleventh in 4.00.890 and thirteenth is the Luxury Racing entry driven by Anthony Beltoise-Philippe Thiriet-Francois Jakuboski in 4.01.176) ahead of the AF Corse car of Robert Kauffman-Michael Waltrip-Rui Aguas, fifteenth in 4.02.216.

In the LMGTE Class pole goes to the Ferrari F430 GTC entered by AF Corse and driven by Piergiuseppe Perazzini (4.01.282) crewed with Marco Cioci-Sean Paul Breslin, beating the Porsche of Felbeermayr Jr-Felbeermayr Snr-Christian Reid by over two seconds. Fifth is the JMB Racing Ferrari of Manuel Rodrigues-Jean Marc Menahem-Nicolas Marroc. Seventh place for the Krohn Racing crew of Tracy Krohn-Niclas Johnsson-Michele Rugolo, ahead of the CRS Racing F430 GTC of Pierre Ehrt-Roger Wills-Shaun Lynn, ninth in class.

Excellent news mate! :ferrarifl

epiclyaddicted
10th June 2011, 22:11
Aston for the Win! :lol

seriously, im disappointed. i was rooting for them to build on last year.

i think Audi will win.

Personally, I would love to see a Petrol V12 powered prototype win Le Mans, not a huge fan of the diesels, but unfortunately, that's the way it is these days!

scuderiafan
11th June 2011, 13:14
have the Astons retired already? :-(

RED
11th June 2011, 13:21
have the Astons retired already? :-(

Both of them are in trouble!

RED
11th June 2011, 13:31
Ferrari leading so far. :) :ferrarifl

RED
11th June 2011, 13:54
Wow, a huge accident. :-E

Tommy_F
11th June 2011, 13:55
McNish just wiped out its car and a 458 :( What the heck happened there?

Edit: the 458 rejoined the track.

REDARMYSOJA
11th June 2011, 13:59
Wow, what a shunt by McNish! :-E

RED
11th June 2011, 13:59
Can you imagine if the Audi had no roof? Scary.... :-E

REDARMYSOJA
11th June 2011, 14:07
Lucky no fans or track workers were hurt. At least I don't think there were.

Suzie
11th June 2011, 14:09
http://youtu.be/DCsV2kmyzSA

Terrifying. From the sounds of it, miraculously no-one was hurt.

Greig
11th June 2011, 14:10
Sheesh, hope everyone is ok

REDARMYSOJA
11th June 2011, 14:13
From the looks of it a pretty dumb move by McNish. It never had a chance of working.

Hate to see an AUDI out.:-s

RED
11th June 2011, 14:24
According to the photographer who was at the scene (and got hit by the debris), everyone's ok.

Greig
11th June 2011, 14:27
According to the photographer who was at the scene (and got hit by the debris), everyone's ok.

Good news :-)

REDARMYSOJA
11th June 2011, 14:31
Yeah, thank god. It looked like no one was hurt from what I could see, but I wasn't sure about what happened with that tire and wheel bouncing around.

scuderiafan
11th June 2011, 14:38
good that everyone is fine.

but what a fail by Aston? lasted 10 mins, i think.

crewskas
11th June 2011, 15:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8l4RYjeRcs&feature=player_embedded

In better quality and replays.

Nova
11th June 2011, 15:32
Man what a race...the 458's look so incredible...my fav Ferrari sports car...
Speed is showing quite a bit, their online stream thou is sponsered by vette, so all Ive
seen from that so far is in car vette..pretty cool down the mulsanne though.

Nova
11th June 2011, 15:36
McNish never looked like he was going to make it, regardless of what
other car was there, looked 2 b carrying too much speed into the bend..
didnt it? He's ok, isnt he? Gosh I hope so.

Tommy_F
11th June 2011, 16:03
McNish is ok, it's confirmed after medical checks.

scuderiafan
11th June 2011, 16:07
:-E

http://i55.tinypic.com/ofo5ko.png

Rob
11th June 2011, 16:09
McNish never looked like he was going to make it, regardless of what
other car was there, looked 2 b carrying too much speed into the bend..
didnt it? He's ok, isnt he? Gosh I hope so.

think he didnt really take much notice of the 458 in front of his team mate, as it was on the left hand side of the car, nobody really to blame there. imo

The Vettes have got a lucky break atmo, with the SC, as have split the field up and got, good lead. Long race, 458s will pull back and sure the BMWs will be charging as got 30 BHP more than us.

Rob
11th June 2011, 16:10
At around 15:51hrs there was a major Incident between #3 Audi driven by McNish and the #58 Luxury Racing Ferrari 458 Italia driven by Anthony Beltoise. The Ferrari is back on the track and the car looked largely undamaged. McNish is out of the car and OK. The Audi however is destroyed.

McNish was lined up to overtake the slower #58 Ferrari driven by Beltoise., they touched and this launched the Audi into the gravel trap sideways at very high speed. McNish then had a massive impact coming in to the Esses. The car flew up and nearly cleared the Armco barrier but there were was all sorts of bodywork, tyres etc flying into a group of photographers all of whom by some miracle appear to have emerged unscathed. The #3 Audi was destroyed. The safety car came out.

Nova
11th June 2011, 16:11
Glad that he is ok....
Theres about 8 cazillion dollars lying there at Lemans..
Really, these cars are built so well, imagine a 917 doing that...scary.
I would love to see this race live. Always loved Lemans.
Time 2 check the GT/GTE standings..

Rob
11th June 2011, 16:12

http://i55.tinypic.com/ofo5ko.png

jeeeeeeees!!!! the strenght and safety of these cars are breath taking. I hate to think the out come if Audi still had open canopy this year :-??

As much as the fin makes the cars look ugly, it sure did work, didnt flip or get to airborne:thumb

Nova
11th June 2011, 16:12
The vettes did ok w/the SC, but Fisi n the guys will claw their way back..

Rob
11th June 2011, 16:16
Glad that he is ok....
Theres about 8 cazillion dollars lying there at Lemans..
Really, these cars are built so well, imagine a 917 doing that...scary.
I would love to see this race live. Always loved Lemans.
Time 2 check the GT/GTE standings..

i cleared it with Mrs Rob and im aiming to go next year, it dream of mine to get there.

Atmo GTE vette, BMW BMW 458 AF Corse Fisi

Rob
11th June 2011, 16:18
Audi look good so far, but wonder if their fuel consumption can go 11 laps as the Pugs, wonder if they getting Pugs into a false sense here. They have clawed back the pace from last year, as Pugs are not running away with it.

Tifoso
11th June 2011, 16:18
I will have to avoid the thread until I see the SPEED coverage today :-D

Rob
11th June 2011, 16:20
I will have to avoid the thread until I see the SPEED coverage today :-D

:-s Fisi and co have got the pace to win this Lou. But still early days as yet, hope you can get watching mate. Great race.

Tifoso
11th June 2011, 16:23
:-s Fisi and co have got the pace to win this Lou. But still early days as yet, hope you can get watching mate. Great race.
Excellent. I will as soon as I get home from work mate :-)

Nova
11th June 2011, 16:32
I think they have the pace, but it be a long long race..lets see how things look in the AM..
Go Ferrari...
+1 on going to this race, I love sports cars as much as F1, especially the cars they bring to Lemans.
Why dont u guys pick me up? I'll chip in on gas.

scuderiafan
11th June 2011, 18:56
where are the McLarens? i thought Ron was ready to take it to us with his MP4-12c toothbrush?

SanderV
11th June 2011, 18:56
i cleared it with Mrs Rob and im aiming to go next year, it dream of mine to get there.

Atmo GTE vette, BMW BMW 458 AF Corse FisiI'm thinking of going there next year. I've been getting more and more interested in endurance racing over the last few years. I usually watch Le Mans, but not many other races. Very impressive racing though. Have to get more info about attending the 24H.

Tommy_F
11th June 2011, 20:48
Another Audi, driven by Rockenfeller, had an accident bumping into a Ferrari 458... - big shunt

edit: looks like the driver got out of the car himself.

RED
11th June 2011, 20:58
Looks like it was a huge one.

Tommy_F
11th June 2011, 21:09
The remains of the car: http://yfrog.com/z/kkpq9rj

Just the monocoque left! :-E Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjWMtyDkGQ&feature=youtu.be

Rob
11th June 2011, 22:41
it a massive accident!!! glad Rocky got out ok. He going to hospital for scans. That the last i heard. Not sure what 458 that was, any idea???

Rob
11th June 2011, 22:42
The remains of the car: http://yfrog.com/z/kkpq9rj

Just the monocoque left! :-E Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjWMtyDkGQ&feature=youtu.be

there may of been possible fire aswell :-??:-E

RED
11th June 2011, 22:43
Not sure what 458 that was, any idea???

No.71, I think.

Rob
11th June 2011, 22:43
No.71, I think.

:thumb ok cheers

Tifoso
12th June 2011, 03:11
Why are there no people in the stands? It's what? 5AM there? Wimps :-D

RED
12th June 2011, 08:59
Noooooo, #51 Ferrari has a problem......

and Peugeot is being a bit naughty..... :-!

epiclyaddicted
12th June 2011, 09:25
Anthony Davidson really annoyed me there! He was 4 laps down yet defending from the lead Audi as if fighting for the win! Nearly chopped off and took out the Audi!

And of course, the marshals wouldn't blue flag the Peugoet... it's French after all! :ouch

Tommy_F
12th June 2011, 09:48
Click for huge size:

http://uppix.net/7/a/5/1fd29c76e0fc114c2272bffe329dett.jpg (http://uppix.net/7/a/5/1fd29c76e0fc114c2272bffe329de.html)

http://uppix.net/4/c/b/ae1b33f2315d713cec40620ea9627tt.jpg (http://uppix.net/4/c/b/ae1b33f2315d713cec40620ea9627.html)

http://jalopnik.com/5811100/the-intoxicating-beauty-of-le-mans-cars-at-sunset/

scuderiafan
12th June 2011, 09:48
wow the 458s are already in the lead. well done guys! :pass

Tommy_F
12th June 2011, 10:24
Rain is starting to fall, a few cars slipping and sliding into the gravel. The Audi is still leading, on slicks.

RED
12th June 2011, 12:27
Looking good for Audi. It's amazing that they've been racing for nearly 24 hours and the gap is 7 seconds.

Not looking good for Ferrari though..... :-s

Tommy_F
12th June 2011, 12:57
2nd place is a great achievement for the Ferrari 458, given that is was introduced only a few months back at Sebring IIRC. It will do one better next year!

Tommy_F
12th June 2011, 13:03
Audi wins the 79th running of the LeMans 24hr race!

Closest finish ever, about 15sec after 24hrs!!

AF Corse finishes 2nd with the 458 in the GTE Pro class.

Nova
12th June 2011, 13:24
Yes, good finish for 458...I am a bit disappointed..Would really like to see
Fisi on the top podium in a Ferrari.
I thought for sure the 430 would take their class also, but 24 hours..
man what a race and what a finish.
Congrats to Audi, that is some cool looking race car.

epiclyaddicted
12th June 2011, 13:42
Epic epic race! Loved it! I managed to watch the final 7 hours of the race live, non-stop! 8-)

Great win by Audi. Peugeot's tactics were disgusting, particularly with their lapped cars, but Audi had the pace to win it anyway. Shame to think, that without McNish and Rocky's crash, it could've been a repeat of last year's results!

Also good first outing at Le Mans by the fantastic looking 458 Italia. Led in class for long periods in the race, but just fell back a little bit to the factory Corvettes towards the end. But good performance still for such a new car, we'll go one better next year!

RED
12th June 2011, 13:51
Great race! Congrats to Audi! :thumb

Yes, 458 did well, being new to the scene. :thumb

Rob
12th June 2011, 15:35
That was one hell of a race!!! :-D had couple hours sleep, was up at 03.30 as couldnt sleep thinking about the race.Thats the best race i have seen at Le-Mans for a while, loved it.

Pugs tactics were disgusting. I like Ant Davidson, until today, 4 laps down and blocking the Audi. Wasnt on at all. Im sure if that were of been Audi doing to Pugs, the French race director would of acted straight away with penalty. But never mind they won and well deserved win it was too. Gutted for Henri Pescarolo :-s

#51 AF Corse 458 had great race, until the clutch and misfire gremlins crept in, in the morning. That was looking for a win. I felt exhausted after watching the race, so much action, emotion and tension, wow. Start looking at getting my butt there next year asap :thumb:clap

Rob
12th June 2011, 15:37
Audi triumphs in Le Mans classic http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92269

Sunday, June 12th 2011, 13:02 GMT

Andre Lotterer handed Audi victory in a classic Le Mans 24 Hours, taking the chequered flag less than 10s ahead of Simon Pagenaud in the nearest #9 Peugeot.

The final 30 minutes were a fitting end to what has been a spectacular race, with the #2 Audi proving equal to everything Peugeot could throw at it - and even coming close to lap record pace in the final 20 minutes.

With both cars needing to pit one final time, Pagenaud in the Peugeot upped his pace and regularly dipped under the 3m30s bracket, only to see Lotterer in the Audi respond by going even faster.

The #2 Audi made its final stop on lap 343, and it was immediately followed in by Pagenaud in the Peugeot, just 24s down the road. The German marque then rolled the dice by electing to change tyres, while the #9 908 opted just for fuel and consequently came out just seven seconds behind.

Lotterer quickly extended that advantage to more than 10s, which gave him a small but precious comfort barrier as traffic and spots of rain in the final 20 minutes threatened to add more drama to an already enthralling Le Mans.

Pagenaud was relentless in his pursuit of the Audi, however, keeping the gap below 20s to ensure the Audi could not afford even the slightest mistake.

Under such scrutiny Lotterer proved faultless, claiming an incredible and richly deserved victory in a classic edition of the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Nicolas Minassian ensured Peugeot took the bottom two steps of the podium, finishing third in the #8, while Marc Gene finished fourth in the sister #7 car.

Nicolas Lapierre finished fifth in the #10 Matmut Peugeot, ahead of Neel Jani in the sole surviving petrol LMP1 car, the #12 Rebellion Lola.

Olivier Lombard took an emphatic victory in LMP2 for the #41 Greaves Motorsport Zytek-Nissan, which finished with a lead of more than seven laps.

Soheil Ayari in the #26 Signatech Nissan took the flag in second in LMP2, less than one lap clear of the #33 Level 5 Motorsports Lola-HPD in third.

Antonio Garcia continued to stretch the lead of the #73 Corvette at the head of the GTE Pro field, finishing more than one lap clear of the #51 AF Corse Ferrari. Third went to the #56 BMW M3 GT.

The #50 Larbre Competition Corvette meanwhile took victory by just over one lap in the GTE Am class.

NOTES:

- Jan Magnussen lost control of the GTE Pro-leading #74 Chevrolet Corvette and crashed into the #63 Proton Porsche during the 17th hour, putting both cars out.

- Jean-Christophe Boullion crashed the Rebellion Lola-Toyota in the 14th hour at the Porsche Curves. He had been running eighth at the time of the shunt.

- Mike Rockenfeller was taken to hospital following a frightening accident that totally destroyed the #1 Audi in the seventh hour of the race. The German had been running third when he made contact with a GTE Ferrari at kink after Mulsanne. Audi later confirmed that the German would be kept in overnight for observation but that he was okay.

- The #3 Audi of Allan McNish crashed out of the race in the first hour having just taken second position. The Scot collected the #58 Luxury Racing Ferrari in the right-hander after the Dunlop Bridge. The heavy impact destroyed the car and McNish was taken to hospital for precautionary checks, but was later released with an all-clear.

- Both Aston Martin AMR Ones ran into trouble on the first lap of the race. Darren Turner spinning with mechanical trouble and Adrian Fernandez stopping out on the Mulsanne. The #007 car of Turner was recovered to the pits where it was discovered an alternator belt tensioner was to blame.

POSITIONS AFTER 24 HOURS

Pos Car Team Class Gap
1. #2 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1)
2. #9 Peugeot Team Peugeot Total (LMP1) + 13.854
3. #8 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 2 Laps
4. #7 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 4 Laps
5. #10 Peugeot Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP1) + 16 Laps
6. #12 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) + 17 Laps
7. #22 Lola Kronos Racing (LMP1) + 27 Laps
8. #41 Zytek Greaves Motorsport (LMP2) + 29 Laps
9. #26 Oreca Signatech Nissan (LMP2) + 35 Laps
10. #33 Lola Level 5 Motorsports (LMP2) + 36 Laps
11. #73 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) + 41 Laps
12. #36 HPD RML (LMP2) + 41 Laps
13. #51 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) + 41 Laps
14. #49 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 42 Laps
15. #56 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 42 Laps
16. #77 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) + 43 Laps
17. #76 Porsche IMSA Performance Matmut (GTEP) + 44 Laps
18. #80 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEP) + 45 Laps
19. #40 Oreca Race Performance (LMP2) + 51 Laps
20. #50 Corvette Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 53 Laps
21. #70 Porsche Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 54 Laps
22. #65 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) + 60 Laps
23. #75 Porsche Prospeed Competition (GTEP) + 62 Laps
24. #66 Ferrari JMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 65 Laps
25. #35 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 67 Laps
26. #68 Ford Robertson Racing (GTEA) + 70 Laps
27. #83 Ferrari JMB Racing (GTEA) + 83 Laps
28. #44 Norma Extr (LMP2) + 108 Laps
29. #16 Pescarolo Pescarolo Team (LMP1) Retired
30. #55 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) Retired
31. #74 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) Retired
32. #81 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEA) Retired
33. #48 Oreca Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP2) Retired
34. #63 Porsche Proton Competition (GTEA) Retired
35. #13 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) Retired
36. #61 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEA) Retired
37. #59 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) Retired
38. #71 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) Retired
39. #88 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) Retired
40. #42 HPD Strakka Racing (LMP2) Retired
41. #60 Aston Gulf AMR Middle East (GTEA) Retired
42. #39 Lola PeCom Racing (LMP2) Retired
43. #89 Ferrari Hankook Team Farnbacher (GTEP) Retired
44. #58 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) Retired
45. #64 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) Retired
46. #57 Ferrari Krohn Racing (GTEA) Retired
47. #24 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
48. #1 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1) Retired
49. #5 Oreca Hope Racing (LMP1) Retired
50. #62 Ferrari CRS Racing (GTEA) Retired
51. #15 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
52. #79 Aston Jota (GTEP) Retired
53. #20 Zytek Quifel-ASM Team (LMP1) Retired
54. #3 Audi Audi Sport North America (LMP1) Retired
55. #007 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired
56. #009 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired

Rob
12th June 2011, 15:39
LE MANS, June 12th – Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander finished GTE Pro category of 24 Hour of Le Mans at the second place of category with Ferrari F458 GTE Pro.

They did not complete the fastest lap for pole position but, from the very beginning of the endurance race, Bruni gained the leadership. During lap 15, an Audi had a serious accident and Bruni lost the leadership of the race for the safety car.

So, the AF Corse drivers started to overtake other cars till the first position from 17th to 22nd hours. At 22nd hour the Ferrari F458 suffered a little tecnical problem and they lost some second and arrived in 2nd position. The result is very prestigious because 24 Hours of Le Mans is the most important endurance race in the world.

www.afcorse.it

Rob
13th June 2011, 19:02
Victory in the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours eludes Ferrari at the end of a race run from the front

Le Mans, 12 June – The famous Le Mans 24 Hours race, third round of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, ended this afternoon with a sense of disappointment in the AF Corse garage: Ferrari number 51 driven by Giancarlo Fisichella, Gimmi Bruni and Toni Vilander came home second in the LMGTE PRO category behind the Corvette of Olivier Beretta, Tommy Milner and Antonio Garcia, which went into the lead two hours from the flag, when a technical problem began slowing the Ferrari more and more, after it had been a front runner for most of the race.

At the start at 15h00 on Saturday, Gimmi Bruni immediately went into the class lead, lapping in quick times. His lead was then wiped out after the accident between McNish’s Audi and the Luxury Racing 458 Italia with Anthony Beltoise at the wheel, as this brought out the Safety Car for over an hour. After eight hours, another Audi, driven by Rockenfeller, collided with the AF Corse Number 71 Ferrari driven by Robert Kauffman and hit the guard rail at around 320 km/h, fortunately without injury. Once again the Safety Car came out, closing up the field yet again. As the race progressed, the hard charging trio of Fisichella-Bruni-Vilander retook the lead after 17 hours, until the car had to make a long stop in the pits because of the technical problem that saw the Corvette move into the lead. The other Ferraris did not fare much better in the marathon event: the JMW Motorsport car crossed the line in ninth place, while the two Luxury Racing cars, the Team Farnbacher entry and the the other AF Corse 458 Italia failed to finish, despite performing strongly, especially in the night time. Some consolation then that the 458 Italia GT3 Number 51 entered by AF Corse, won the Michelin Green X classification for GT cars, proving that the Maranello marque is paying close attention to reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

“We can take some satisfaction from this result, the team and Ferrari,” commented Giancarlo Fisichella after the race. “Second place is always a good result, even if naturally there is some disappointment given that we looked set to take the win. Unfortunately, some problems on the car in the closing stages of the race meant the top spot was out of our reach.”

In the LMGTE AM class, best result was a fourth place in the category for the JMB Racing F430 GTC. Competitors in the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup will be back in action at Imola over the weekend of 3 July for the fourth round of the season, which is also round three of the Le Mans Series.

Nova
14th June 2011, 21:39
Dont these same cars compete in the Lemans series/FIA races all season?
Id really like to follow those..They tend to not show those in the US.

Rob
15th June 2011, 12:43
yeah they all do mate. Not sure if they do show in U.S, have to check.

Rob
15th June 2011, 12:45
Panis retires from Le Mans racing

By Simon Strang Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 16:33 GMT

Olivier Panis has called time on his Le Mans racing career, stating that his fifth position in last weekend's event will be the last result he will post at La Sarthe.

The 44-year-old former Monaco Grand Prix winner has competed in four Le Mans for ORECA since 2008, and this year shared the team's privately-entered year-old Peugeot 908 HDi FAP with Nicolas Lapierre and Loic Duval.

But the Frenchman is quitting Le Mans because he thinks his chances of securing a drive that will put him in contention to win the race are low.

"I have been very pleased to do this with ORECA for four years, but for me this is my last year," Panis told AUTOSPORT. "For Le Mans yes. I will do some races in GT and the Trophee Andros on the ice but for me Le Mans is finished.

"I think it is my time, and I don't think I will have the opportunity to race with a nice car like we have had for the last two years, and doing Le Mans for the sake of doing Le Mans - I am not interested."

Panis added that fifth place - which equalled his best result in the race – was the best he could have hoped for in the race, given that Peugeot and Audi both brought three-car factory teams.

"We knew before we came here that it would be difficult to fight with the factory cars," he said. "The result was exactly what we expected to be honest, it was just we went about it the hard way!

"Audi and Peugeot did a very good job and finished very close at the end of the race. It was really tough with a lot of accidents. But no injuries for anybody is the best thing so well done to Audi."

www.autosport.com

Nova
16th June 2011, 21:12
They really dont show those in the US..Of course, Im moving to Florida,
thats another country, so mabey theyll show them there!!:-D

Rob
20th June 2011, 12:52
Facts about Audi’s tenth Le Mans victory

Audi recorded its tenth victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with ultra lightweight technology, an innovative V6 TDI engine and the first ever use of full LED headlights. The most important facts of a memorable race:

After 24 hours the Audi R18 TDI with start number “2″ had a winning margin of exactly 13.854 seconds over the second placed Peugeot. This equates to 763 meters. The victorious Audi R18 TDI covered 4,838.295 kilometers. The average speed was 201.266 km/h.

The race was neutralized five times, four hours 46 minutes (44 laps) were spent behind the two safety cars. The longest full-course yellow lasted 2 hours 20 minutes.

249,500 spectators witnessed Audi’s tenth victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As a result, the brand with the Four Rings now holds second place alone in the all time winners list of the world’s most important endurance race. Only sister company Porsche has more wins (16 from 61 races). Audi’s winning ratio is an impressive 76.9 per cent.

Audi scored a podium result in all 13 Le Mans events – ten of these factory efforts. In 42 starts since 1999 Audi recorded 32 finishes (76.2 per cent), ten of these wins, five second places and nine third places. Audi achieved 24 of a possible 39 podium positions (61.5 per cent) in the process.

For Reinhold Joest’s team it was the twelfth victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the eighth with Audi. If you include the wins scored by Dauer Racing (1994) and Bentley (2003), in which the team was also involved, Joest Racing is credited with 14 Le Mans wins.

Audi recorded a rare Le Mans hat-trick with pole position, fastest race lap and victory.

The fastest lap set by an Audi R18 TDI in the race (3m 25.289s) was more than a second faster than the best from Peugeot (3m 26.298s). André Lotterer even undercut Benoît Tréluyer’s pole position time from qualifying in the process.

The Audi R18 TDI was superior to its rivals at Le Mans and specifically in the fast corners. In the final sector of the circuit, to which the famous “Porsche Curves” belong, the Audi was eight tenths of a second faster than the best Peugeot.

The highest speed recorded by an Audi R18 TDI in the race along the Hunaudières straight was 336.4 km/h.

Following the Audi R8 (2000) and the Audi R10 TDI (2006) the Audi R18 TDI is the brand’s third LMP1 sportscar to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans at the first attempt.

The lead changed hands a total of 46 times during the race. Four different cars led the race. Audi topped the leader board for 261 of the 355 laps. The winning car was credited with the most laps (246) in the lead.

The victorious Audi R18 TDI visited the pits 31 times. Start number “2″ spent 33 minutes 56 seconds in pit lane (“pit in” / “pit out”). The car was stationary for only 21m 03s.

The triumphant trio completed the entire race distance with only nine sets of Michelin tires. The eighth and final tire change was only required because the left rear tire lost air. Benoît Tréluyer completed the longest stint on the same set of tires – 54 laps (five stints).

The 3.7 liter V6 TDI in the Audi R18 TDI consumed an average of only 37.08 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers and therefore less than 40 liters for the first time since Audi competes at Le Mans – helped in part by the long safety car phases.

The chassis number of the victorious Audi R18 TDI is R18-106. The Audi Sport Team Joest mechanics gave the car the nickname “Red Sonja”.

Marcel Fässler is the first Swiss driver in history to win the race.

The three victorious Audi drivers Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Tréluyer can boast an impressive record: up to now they started twice for the factory Audi team at Le Mans, mounting the podium on both occasions. The first Le Mans victory for all three follows last year’s second place.

All nine Audi drivers who started in 2011 have now at least one Le Mans victory to their name. A total of 14 drivers have won Le Mans with Audi to date: Seiji Ara (1), Timo Bernhard (1), Frank Biela (5), Dindo Capello (2), Romain Dumas (1), Marcel Fässler (1), Tom Kristensen (6), JJ Lehto (1), André Lotterer (1), Allan McNish (1), Emanuele Pirro (5), Mike Rockenfeller (1), Benoît Tréluyer (1) and Marco Werner (3).

Benoît Tréluyer was only the fifth driver in Le Mans history to have won the race from pole position (awarded since 1963) and the Audi R18 TDI only the seventh car to win from the pole. A car with the start number “2″ won for the sixth time since 1923.

It was the eleventh victory at Le Mans for Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. The Austrian was also significantly involved in Bentley’s win at the 24 hours in 2003.

It was the 28th Le Mans victory for a German automobile manufacturer and also the 28th for a closed car. A diesel powered car won for the sixth time, Audi TDI technology lays claim to five of these.

It was the 20th Le Mans victory for Audi tire partner Michelin, the 14th in succession and the 10th with Audi.

The number of retirements in the 79th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans was particularly high: only 28 of the 56 cars that started reached the finish.