PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Snetterton 2011

Rob
6th August 2011, 15:59
Plato sets early pace

Jason Plato set the pace in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship’s first practice session around Snetterton’s new 300 circuit – watched by a sizeable crowd on the raised spectator banking that overlooks its twisting infield section.

Reigning Champion Plato lapped the 2.99-mile in 1m59.797s in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze. Gordon Shedden (Honda Racing Team Civic) and James Nash (888/Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra), second and third fastest, were the only other drivers to get beneath the two-minute barrier. Shedden survived a brief spin at the entry to the final bend, Murray’s, on his last timed lap as he explored the limits…

Championship leader Matt Neal was fourth but some seven tenths of a second adrift of Plato, his Civic laden with the maximum 45kgs of success ballast. Tom Chilton (Aon Ford Focus) and Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Vectra) completed the top six. Mat Jackson, second in the standings, was back in ninth in his Airwaves Focus but more than a second off the pace. Notably, there appeared to be some head-scratching in the Aon pit garage after the session – while Chilton was fifth fastest, team-mates Tom Onslow-Cole and Andy Neate were back in 17th and 20th, some 2.1s and 3.4s off Plato’s fastest lap.

The shock of the session was Martin Byford, making his BTCC debut this weekend. The Colchester racer, who considers Snetterton very much a ‘home circuit’, was an excellent 12th fastest out of the 26 runners and his AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf was the quickest car of all through the first speed trap at 118.8mph.

Frank Wrathall was the highest-placed of the drivers in Next Generation Touring Car-spec machinery, 13th in his Dynojet Toyota Avensis, while Rob Austin’s NGTC Audi A4 was 15th.

Splitting them in 14th was Robert Collard, tipped by some as the man to beat here – he needed to rely on a time set early in the session as his smoky BMW then stopped in the pit lane with a drive-train problem.

Many eyes were on new entry Welch Motorsport’s NGTC-spec Proton Gen-2. The immaculately turned-out car completed five exploratory laps with driver Daniel Welch, also making his BTCC debut this weekend, setting the 25th best time ahead of Chris James’s ES Racing Chevrolet Lacetti which suffered a spin at the Palmer corner on the infield.

Rob
6th August 2011, 15:59
MacDowall, Plato well clear

Chevrolet team-mates Alex MacDowall and Jason Plato were well ahead of the rest in Snetterton’s second Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship practice session.

This was a quicker session than this morning’s as drivers continued to hone their cars’ set-ups to the new, longer Snetterton 300 circuit – being used for the first time by the BTCC this weekend. It started with a bizarre incident, Chris James’s ES Racing Chevrolet Lacetti stopping within a mile of exiting the pit lane with a rear wheel missing…

Meanwhile Plato, fastest this morning, looked to have set an unbeatable time of 1m59.063s in his Silverline Cruze, but as he crossed the line right at the end of the session MacDowall went 0.038s quicker with a best lap of 1m59.025s. The Cumbrian had been steadily chipping away at his lap times – consistently improving his sector times and even suffering a spin at the Williams corner – but his time still came as a surprise as, prior to achieving it, he’d been only 11th fastest…

The Chevrolet duo were some three tenths of a second clear of the rest of the field, headed by James Nash’s 888/Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra. Championship leader Matt Neal, his Honda Racing Civic carrying the maximum 45kgs of success ballast, was fourth ahead of Tom Chilton’s Team Aon Ford Focus and his own Honda team-mate Gordon Shedden. Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Vectra) and Tom Boardman (Special Tuning SEAT Leon) were next up, the last of the runners to get within a second of the fastest time.

Ninth, again some way off the ultimate pace, was the Airwaves Ford Focus of Mat Jackson, currently second in the standings. Completing the top ten and continuing to surprise, was newcomer Martin Byford in AmD Milltek Racing.com's VW Golf. Fellow debutant Daniel Welch, in Welch Motorsport’s all-new Proton Gen-2 which has attracted considerable interest among the crowds here, was an encouraging 24th out of the 26 runners with a time of 2m03.562s – an improvement of some 1.5s on his time in session one.

There was some frustration for Robert Collard – many believe his WSR BMW’s rear-wheel-drive will give him an advantage at this particular circuit but, following mechanical problems in session one, he was denied the chance of going for a time when a rear tyre deflated and was left down in 13th.

Meanwhile John George, driving in some discomfort with his hand still bandaged after he injured it in a prang at Croft, was a commendable 20th in his GoMobileUK.com/tech-speed Cruze. But there were problems for team-mate Paul O'Neill whose car stopped at the Montreal hairpin in a cloud of smoke. Several drivers survived big wobbles during the session, Jeff Smith (Pirtek Vectra) at the exit of Oggies and Dave Newsham (STR SEAT) exiting Riches.

Rob
6th August 2011, 16:00
roll on tomorrow!!!!

Julie B
6th August 2011, 21:25
QUALIFYING

Jason Plato just pipped Gordon Shedden to take pole position in the Dunlop MSA British Touring car Championship’s qualifying session on Snetterton's new 300 circuit.

Shedden’s best time of 1m58.716s in his Honda Racing Civic looked unbeatable but with just a few minutes to go Plato, his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze on the ragged edge, produced a super-human lap of 1m58.691s to snatch pole away by just 0.025s.

Plato said: "That was the limit... absolutely the limit. But pole for us is everything as starting in front of the turbo cars is the only real chance I have of taking it to them in a race. It is going to be a massive fight between us and them tomorrow."

Third was Plato’s team-mate Alex MacDowall – he’d been in the running for pole until a flash fire on his Chevrolet Cruze in the pit lane spelt an early end to his session.

Fourth, just 0.248s behind Plato in a car carrying the maximum success ballast of 45kgs, was Shedden's team-mate and series leader Matt Neal. James Nash (888/Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra) and Tom Chilton (Aon Ford Focus) completed the top six.

A best-ever seventh for himself, his Dynojet team and its Toyota Avensis was Frank Wrathall. It’s the first time a car built to the BTCC’s new Next Generation Touring Car technical regulations has qualified inside the top ten.

Similarly, Dave Newsham was a best-ever eighth but their was much dejection for his Special Tuning Racing team-mate Tom Boardman whose SEAT Leon stopped at the side of the track early on before he'd set a time – he will therefore start the first of tomorrow’s three races from 26th and last on the grid.

There was also frustration for championship front-runners Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Vectra) and Mat Jackson (Airwaves Focus) back in 11th and 13th.

The two debutants this weekend, Martin Byford (AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf) and Daniel Welch qualified 19th and 20th, just 1.8s and 2.2s off the ultimate pace respectively. Welch’s performance was highly impressive given his team Welch Motorsport’s all-new Proton Gen-2 effectively turned a wheel for only the time in this morning’s practice sessions.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jason Plato Chevrolet 1m58.691s
2. Gordon Shedden Honda 1m58.716s + 0.025s
3. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet 1m58.908s + 0.217s
4. Matt Neal Honda 1m58.939s + 0.248s
5. James Nash Triple 8 Vauxhall 1m59.067s + 0.376s
6. Tom Chilton Arena Ford 1m59.084s + 0.393s
7. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 1m59.084s + 0.393s
8. Dave Newsham Special Tuning SEAT 1m59.252s + 0.561s
9. Paul O'Neill Tech-Speed Chevrolet 1m59.420s + 0.729s
10. Tom Onslow-Cole Arena Ford 1m59.515s + 0.824s
11. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Vauxhall 1m59.558s + 0.867s
12. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m59.664s + 0.973s
13. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 1m59.809s + 1.118s
14. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m59.931s + 1.240s
15. Jeff Smith Eurotech Vauxhall 2m00.026s + 1.335s
16. Nick Foster WSR BMW 2m00.161s + 1.470s
17. Tony Gilham Triple 8 Vauxhall 2m00.303s + 1.612s
18. Andy Neate Arena Ford 2m00.356s + 1.665s
19. Martyn Byford AmD Volkswagen 2m00.531s + 1.840s
20. Daniel Welch Welch Proton 2m00.910s + 2.219s
21. John George Tech-Speed Chevrolet 2m02.117s + 3.426s
22. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 2m02.374s + 3.683s
23. Lea Wood Central Honda 2m03.421s + 4.730s
24. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 2m04.544s + 5.853s
25. Chris James ES Chevrolet No time
26. Tom Boardman Special Tuning SEAT No time

Julie B
7th August 2011, 14:30
RACE 1 - RESULTS

Jason Plato has won the first of today’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races at the Snetterton circuit in Norfolk.

Plato led every lap for his fifth win of the season but only after his Chevrolet Cruze and arch rival Matt Neal's Honda Civic had controversially collided at the first corner.

Neal’s car was sent into a wild spin and he finished outside of the points. As a result, Plato has taken 18 points out of championship leader Neal – although he’s still back in fourth in the table he’s now only 22 behind.

Plato, who also set the race’s fastest lap, said: “I think Matt was probably being a bit too brave. He was out on the grass trying to get back on the track but, I’m sorry, that’s my bit of track. It means I’ll start from pole position for race two but of course the car will take on maximum ballast so let’s see…”

Neal retorted: “I’d had a great start and I don’t know if Jason knew just how quickly I was coming up around the outside of him. It was pretty scary – we’re doing 120mph there and going backwards down the straight with cars coming at you… maybe it was a bit of a cheeky move on Jason’s part. I’d like to hear his take on it but he hasn’t been round here yet…”

Finishing second and third were Plato’s team-mate Alex MacDowall – his result cementing a dream 1-2 result for the Silverline Chevrolet team – and Honda’s Gordon Shedden.

But the biggest cheer in the pit lane came from the Dynojet team as it celebrated by far its best result to date, driver Frank Wrathall crossing the line in fourth in his Toyota Avensis – the first top-ten finish for a car built to the BTCC’s latest Next Generation Touring Car regulations. Wrathall was also the first independent runner home.

"It's been an incredible journey since we first rolled the car out at Brands Hatch back at the start of April," said Preston racer Wrathall. "It’s impossible to get over to people just how much work has been put in. I feel a bit dizzy to be honest."

James Nash (888/Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra) and Mat Jackson (Airwaves Ford Focus), up from 13th on the grid, completed the top six. Jackson, second in the standings, just held off Paul O’Neill’s GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed Chevrolet – as a result he has moved to within four points of Neal at the top of table. Shedden remains third, a further six adrift.

Meanwhile Neal was not the only title protagonist to suffer a setback in the race – Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Vectra) finished 12th and outside of the points after running off the track on the opening lap. Another of the fancied runners, Robert Collard, was way back in 23rd after pitting on the opening lap for repairs to his damaged WSR BMW…

Tom Onslow-Cole took eighth but only after Aon team-mate Tom Chilton’s Ford Focus slumped from fifth to ninth on the last lap with an electrical problem. Dave Newsham took tenth but there was disappointment for team-mate Tom Boardman – starting from the back row of the grid he’d been hoping to fight through the order but his SEAT Leon slowed and stopped early on.

On their BTCC debuts, Martin Byford and Daniel Welch finished 14th and 22nd. Byford’s best lap in the AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf was quicker than several of those ahead of him. Welch had run as high as 15th in Welch Motorsport’s new Proton Gen-2 until the car cruelly slowed with a lap to go and fell down the order…

Nash's team-mate Tony Gilham retired from the race with suspension damage on his Vectra. Lea Wood never even made the start, his Central Group Racing Honda Integra having lost a wheel on the way to the grid.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Jason Plato Chevrolet 24m12.064s
3. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet + 2.242s
3. Gordon Shedden Honda + 3.419s
4. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 10.113s
5. James Nash Triple 8 Vauxhall + 15.397s
6. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford + 18.928s
7. Paul O'Neill Tech-Speed Chevrolet + 19.196s
8. Tom Onslow-Cole Arena Ford + 24.102s
9. Tom Chilton Arena Ford + 26.035s
10. Dave Newsham Special Tuning SEAT + 26.884s
11. Jeff Smith Eurotech Vauxhall + 27.306s
12. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Vauxhall + 32.633s
13. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 33.330s
14. Martyn Byford AmD Volkswagen + 33.816s
15. Rob Austin Austin Audi + 40.162s
16. Andy Neate Arena Ford + 44.389s
17. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 46.453s
18. Matt Neal Honda + 55.616s
19. John George Tech-Speed Chevrolet + 56.625s
20. Chris James ES Chevrolet + 1m13.714s
21. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 1m16.042s
22. Daniel Welch Welch Proton + 1m43.854s
23. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 2 laps

Retirements

Tom Boardman Special Tuning SEAT 2 laps
Lea Wood Central Honda 0 laps
Tony Gilham Triple 8 Vauxhall 0 laps

Julie B
7th August 2011, 15:08
RACE 2 - RESULTS

Gordon Shedden has won the second of today’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car races at Snetterton to take over the championship lead as Matt Neal hit more problems.

Scottish ace Shedden muscled his Honda Civic past Jason Plato’s Chevrolet Cruze at the second corner before pulling away for his fourth win of the season.

With team-mate Mat Neal, who had been leading the series, suffering another finish outside the points – this time after a pit stop – it means Shedden has moved to the top of the points standings. He becomes the fourth different driver to lead the series so far this season…

Finishing second was James Nash in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra. Plato, who lost time in his scuffle with Shedden, took third ahead of Silverline Chevrolet team-mate Alex MacDowall.

However, these two had to work hard to eventually find a way past the hugely impressive Frank Wrathall’s Dynojet Toyota Avensis that held third for much of the race. Wrathall later stopped at the side of the track when his car suffered a mechanical failure.

Fifth was the feisty Paul O’Neill in his GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed Chevrolet. Sixth and closing in at the end after a couple of time-consuming moments was Mat Jackson in his Airwaves Ford Focus.

Meanwhile Neal, who failed to score in race one with a spin, was way back in 17th after a pit stop to check for a punctured tyre. The result has had a significant effect on the championship standings: Shedden now leads and is five points clear of Jackson who is one ahead of Neal. Plato’s third, allied to his win in today's opening race, means he is just a further 12 behind and himself only six ahead of Nash in fifth.

However, it could all change again in race three later this afternoon: Jackson will start from second on the 'reversed grid', Plato from fifth, Shedden from seventh and Neal 17th.

1. Gordon Shedden Honda 24m16.138s
2. James Nash Triple 8 Vauxhall + 1.597s
3. Jason Plato Chevrolet + 8.636s
4. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet + 9.233s
5. Paul O'Neill Tech-Speed Chevrolet + 9.910s
6. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford + 10.185s
7. Dave Newsham Special Tuning SEAT + 13.072s
8. Tom Onslow-Cole Arena Ford + 15.373s
9. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Vauxhall + 19.526s
10. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 21.528s
11. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 24.426s
12. Tom Chilton Arena Ford + 30.617s
13 Tony Gilham Triple 8 Vauxhall + 32.816s
14. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 40.031s
15 Lea Wood Central Honda + 43.963s
16. Jeff Smith Eurotech Vauxhall + 48.403s
17. Matt Neal Honda + 51.744s
18. Daniel Welch Welch Proton + 1m50.168s
19. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 1m16.042s

Retirements

Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 9 laps
John George Tech-Speed Chevrolet 7 laps
Andy Neate Arena Ford 4 laps
Rob Austin Austin Audi 3 laps
Martyn Byford AmD Volkswagen 3 laps

Julie B
7th August 2011, 17:27
RACE 3 - RESULTS

Mat Jackson has won Snetterton’s third Dunlop MSA British Touring Car race to take over as championship leader.

Jackson took the lead early on and simply disappeared into the distance to record his fourth of the season in his Airwaves Racing Ford Focus.

The result has moved him past Honda’s Gordon Shedden, who finished back in seventh, and into the series lead. It’s the second time today and the fifth time this season that championship lead has changed hands. It’s also the first time that Jackson has led the standings in his career.

Paul O’Neill finished a superb second in his GoMobileUK with tech-speed Chevrolet Cruze ahead of the similar factory RML/Silverline car of Jason Plato.

After two disastrous races earlier in the day, Honda’s Matt Neal came through from 17th on the grid to finish fourth in his Civic ahead of Plato’s team-mate, Alex MacDowall, James Nash (888/Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra) and Shedden – his car crossing the line with damage to a front wing after swiping a foam marker barrier.

Jackson therefore now leads the standings by eight points from Shedden with Neal two behind his team-mate. Plato is a further ten adrift, 11 in front of Nash in fifth.

Dave Newsham (Special Tuning SEAT Leon) finished the race in eighth but could count himself unfortunate. For many laps he’d held on to third ahead of Plato until the Chevrolet driver found a way by exiting the Brundle-Nelson esses. Entering the final bend he was still in fourth but he slipped wide and allowed MacDowall, Nash and Shedden to drive past him before the line.

Nick Foster (WSR BMW) took ninth and Rob Austin tenth for his first outright points finish in the BTCC in his team’s NGTC-spec Audi A4. Fellow NGTC runner Frank Wrathall who’d starred in races one and two was unable to take part because of radiator damage to his Dynojet Toyota Avensis that it had picked up in race two.

1. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 24m16.307s
2. Paul O'Neill Tech-Speed Chevrolet + 3.340s
3. Jason Plato Chevrolet + 6.740s
4. Matt Neal Honda + 9.117s
5. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet + 10.770s
6. James Nash Triple 8 Vauxhall + 11.087s
7. Gordon Shedden Honda + 11.933s
8. Dave Newsham Special Tuning SEAT + 12.084s
9. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 14.507s
10 Rob Austin Austin Audi + 15.888s
11. Tom Onslow-Cole Arena Ford + 17.568s
12. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 21.810s
13. Tom Chilton Arena Ford + 22.738s
14. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Vauxhall + 23.701s
15 Tony Gilham Triple 8 Vauxhall + 24.812s
16 Martyn Byford AmD Volkswagen + 29.800s
17. Jeff Smith Eurotech Vauxhall + 33.267s
18 Lea Wood Central Honda + 52.267s
19. Daniel Welch Welch Proton + 1m15.318s

Retirements

Chris James ES Racing Chevrolet 7 laps
John George Tech-Speed Chevrolet 4 laps
Andy Neate Arena Ford 1 laps
Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 0 laps

Rob
7th August 2011, 19:57
had really really good day. Met Nicolas Hamilton, see his dad, met Flash Tony Gilham and Matt Jackson. Caught the sun really bad on me head lol, feel bit rough atmo. Got plenty of pictures will post tomorrow.

Rob
8th August 2011, 19:00
heres few of my pictures from yesterday. Please excuse the date, i forgot to set it right
:oops
http://i54.tinypic.com/15oa1s3.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/25imzvq.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/5xoec5.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/1zqu74n.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2u56dk7.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/166kygn.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/6rimo8.jpg

Rob
8th August 2011, 19:09
http://i56.tinypic.com/w4ivc.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/11iiyc7.jpg