PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2012-Thruxton

Rob
28th April 2012, 16:20
Shedden 'untouchable' again
Gordon Shedden again looked unstoppable as he headed the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship’s second free practice session at Thruxton.

Conditions remained wet but this time it wasn’t raining – this, in turn, meant a trickier, greasier track surface which led to slightly slower times than in this morning’s first session.

But just like this morning, Shedden was more than a second clear of the rest. The flying Scotsman set a best lap of 1m22.080s in his Honda Yuasa Racing Team Civic. Jason Plato was this time able to get between the two Hondas, setting the second fastest time of 1m23.143s in his MG KX Momentum Racing MG6.

Shedden appeared visibly quicker than his rivals through the chicane in particular, but even he had to miss out the corner on his final lap when he carried a tad too much speed into the apex. He commented: “The feeling from the car keeps changing every lap and, when it’s greasy like that, it’s more difficult to gauge than when it’s fully wet. Holding on to the rear end is a struggle in some parts but so far, so good.”

Third-fastest and even trying a run on slick tyres towards the end of the session was Shedden’s team-mate Matt Neal. Fourth, a mere 0.047s behind, was fellow Civic runner, Pirtek Racing’s Andrew Jordan.

The following four drivers were also within a second of Neal, namely Dave Newsham (Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra), Jordan’s team-mate Jeff Smith, Mat Jackson (Redstone Racing Ford Focus) and Frank Wrathall (Dynojet Toyota Avensis). Smith needed a pit stop to have grass removed from the front of his car following an off-track excursion. For Wrathall, ninth spot represented a marked improvement on his first session time as he and his team got to grips with a car which has not previously run in the wet…

Two Hampshire locals, Robert Collard (eBay Motors BMW) and Daniel Welch (Welch Motorsport Proton Persona) completed the top ten. Collard was another to fit slick tyres towards the end of the session and reported: “It was just a bit too damp still – they were just about starting to ‘come in’ but it was taking some time. Very treacherous…”

Meanwhile, having just set his best time, Welch was forced to park his car at the end of the pits straight after a heavy landing over one of the chicane’s kerbs broke one of its driveshaft.

Mention should also go to Ollie Jackson who kept fans in the chicane grandstand entertained throughout with his gung-ho approach at the wheel of AmD Tuning.com's VW Golf...

Having effectively missed the opening session with a wiring loom problem on his car, Plato’s team-mate Andy Neate was able to circulate, wisely choosing to build up speed gradually as opposed to going all out for a quick time.

Redstone’s Aron Smith missed the session as his team fixed a clutch problem on his Ford Focus. The session also required a brief red flag stoppage to retrieve the Speedworks Toyota Avensis of Adam Morgan which had stopped at Church Corner with suspected fuel pressure problems. Also missing was Rob Austin whose RAR team mechanics were fitting a new engine to his Audi A4.

Rob
28th April 2012, 16:20
Jordan grabs Thruxton pole
Andrew Jordan has taken pole position for tomorrow’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races at Hampshire’s high-speed Thruxton circuit, but there were major problems in this afternoon’s qualifying session for three of the series’ big names, Gordon Shedden, Jason Plato and Matt Neal.

Staffordshire’s Jordan, driving a Pirtek Racing Honda Civic, set the pole position time in 1m16.983s – a dizzying average speed of 110.17mph. It is the second pole of the 22-year-old’s career.

Plato, the current championship leader, ended up second overall but had to rely on the time he set earlier in the session as he then crashed at high speed in his MG KX Momentum Racing MG6. The double Champion from Oxford was unharmed but his mechanics have work to do to repair the battered machine for tomorrow.

Preston racer Frank Wrathall, another of the championship’s rising young stars, was a career equal-best third fastest on a damp but rapidly drying track in his Dynojet team’s Toyota Avensis.

Jordan, from Lichfield, commented: “That was a proper pole position lap – to do it around Thruxton which is an ‘old school’ circuit with no margin for error makes it extra satisfying. Even when I knew it was probably in the bag I still wanted to test the car and myself so pushed again and to get beneath the 1m17s mark here is a really big effort.”

Plato added: “I’m a lucky lad to still end up second but that could have been a very big accident. The car swapped ends on me as I went into Church Corner at about 140mph, but I managed to get it pointed in a straight line before it left the track. That helped and it was a fairly soft landing all things considered. A shame, though, because I was up on my best lap at that point…”

And said 25-year-old Wrathall: “I’m delighted and felt I could have gone even faster. I’m just going to enjoy the moment and not even think about tomorrow. Everyone’s talking about the weather but I couldn’t care less. We get what we get and then get on with it.”

Meanwhile Mat Jackson (Redstone Racing Ford Focus), Dave Newsham (Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra) and, on his home circuit, Hampshire racer Robert Collard (eBay Motors BMW) were next up to make it six different cars in the top six positions. Newsham set his time before his smoking car then crawled into the pit lane with engine problems.

Seventh, eighth and ninth, all achieving best-ever qualifying results, were Redstone's Aron Smith, Lea Wood in his BINZ Racing Vectra and Redstone's Liam Griffin.

But for the factory Honda Yuasa Racing Team team-mates Neal and Shedden the session was a disaster. Their cars had looked supreme in the morning’s two practice sessions but in qualifying it all went wrong.

Neal crashed early on exiting Allard corner and tumbled to a lowly 19th. Shedden had looked all set for his first pole of 2012 having set the fastest lap until he had all his times disallowed mid-session when it was discovered his car had exceeded the permitted turbo boost limits. He rejoined the session late on for one final flying lap but a costly error meant he could do no better than 18th.

After Plato's crash, the session was red flagged a second time with a minute to go when MG's other driver Andy Neate and Rob Austin, in his RAR Audi A4, crashed heavily into the barriers in separate incidents exiting the rapid Goodwood-Village section of circuit.

Tony Hughes was also fortunate to survive a spin onto the grass at the same section of track in his Speedworks Toyota Avensis. Jordan's team-mate Jeff Smith would also stop at the side of the track, exiting the Campbell-Cobb-Segrave 'complex' of bends.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2955&month=0&year=2012&form=&searchterm=

Rob
28th April 2012, 16:21
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 1m16.983s
2. Jason Plato Triple 8 MG 1m17.807s + 0.824s
3. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 1m18.002s + 1.019s
4. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 1m18.451s + 1.468s
5. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall 1m18.578s + 1.595s
6. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m18.626s + 1.643s
7. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 1m18.871s + 1.888s
8. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall 1m18.999s + 2.016s
9. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 1m19.151s + 2.168s
10. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW 1m19.227s + 2.244s
11. Nick Foster WSR BMW 1m19.416s + 2.433s
12. Tony Gilham Gilham Honda 1m19.625s + 2.642s
13. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen 1m19.628s + 2.645s
14. Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 1m19.760s + 2.777s
15. Chris James ES Vauxhall 1m20.870s + 3.887s
16. Andy Neate Triple 8 MG 1m20.883s + 3.900s
17. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m20.904s + 3.921s
18. Gordon Shedden Dynamics Honda 1m21.298s + 4.315s
19. Matt Neal Dynamics Honda 1m22.152s + 5.169s
20. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 1m26.896s + 9.913s
21. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda 1m30.592s + 13.609s
22. Daniel Welch Welch Proton

Rob
28th April 2012, 16:30
http://i50.tinypic.com/10msac3.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/345o5qp.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/346qhcy.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/nm0t9k.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2u9laae.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2j4opkl.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/34tbdiu.jpg

Rob
28th April 2012, 19:14
Jackson arrives in style
Mat Jackson arrived earlier today for Thruxton’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in true style – at the wheel of McLaren’s latest MP4-12C supercar!

The Warwickshire racer has been one of the test and development drivers behind the 200mph dream machine and has been handed the keys to one to use for the weekend.

He told btcc.net: “I’ve driven lots of supercars but this one is by far the best – it’s on another planet. In fact it is insanely fast with a 0-60mph time of three seconds. It's a real head-turner and I love it."

Jackson later went on to qualify his Redstone Racing Ford Focus fourth fastest outright. Having been docked a win at Donington Park two weeks ago, he is clearly eager to score well tomorrow in an effort to close the gap to championship leader Jason Plato.

He added: “That was about the maximum we could wring from the car today – because the Focus is S2000-based we’re on the 17-inch tyre whereas the three NGTC-spec cars ahead of me are using the bigger 18-inch tyre and that is giving them an advantage through the corners. And of course it's pretty much all corners here.

“But they are three long races tomorrow and who knows what the weather is going to throw at us. If it rains then I don’t think we can compete on raw pace with the 18-inch wet weather tyre, but lapping consistently over a race distance has been a strength of ours so let’s see…”

Rob
28th April 2012, 19:15
Trio enjoy qualifying bests
Three drivers in particular enjoyed stand-out results in today’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying session at Thruxton.

On what is recognised as the most fearsome track on the calendar, Aron Smith, Lea Wood and Liam Griffin qualified a best-ever seventh, eighth and ninth overall.

Redstone Racing Ford Focus duo Smith and Griffin were suitably chuffed with their results – both were within a second of more experienced team-mate and regular front-runner Mat Jackson.

Irishman Smith’s performance was all the more impressive as he’d been forced to sit out the earlier second practice session because of a transmission problem with his car. He said: “I thought it would be a difficult challenge, but we went out there and straight away we were on the pace which was really good.

“Looking ahead to tomorrow, if I can pick off a few places in the first race and do the same again in the second then we’ll keep moving forward. I think that we can get three solid results.”

Griffin added: “I feel I’ve been building in confidence in the season’s first two events and maybe the wet conditions helped me a bit today – the car was moving around in a way I could control so I tried to get it to behave in a similar way in the dry.

“Then during the red flag stoppage I looked at some data and saw Aron was only lifting and not braking for Church Corner so I gave it a go and found another three tenths of a second!”

For Wood and his small BINZ Racing team, eighth fastest time in his Vauxhall Vectra was a breakthrough result. He told btcc.net: “I like the wet-dry conditions – they are a great leveller – and I always seem to go well in them.

“We made a good call on tyres for qualifying, but I think it’s also a result of racking up more miles in the car. We’ve also switched from Ohlins to Penske dampers which may have made a difference, although it’s difficult to be sure in these conditions. The car, though, just feels very good and this has given everyone in the team a nice lift for tomorrow.”

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2957&month=0&year=2012&form=&searchterm=

Rob
29th April 2012, 09:50
Blog: Tyres take a pounding at Thruxton

Michael Butler, product manager at Dunlop Motorsport and Dunlop BTCC team leader, explains why Thruxton is one of the toughest circuits for tyres in the UK.

The third round of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship finds drivers facing one of the most challenging tracks in the UK – the Thruxton Circuit. This circuit’s characteristics are so unique, that we have developed a tyre tailored to its demands both for the S2000 and NGTC specification vehicles, which is a different specification to the standard BTCC tyre used at other circuits in the 2012 calendar.

So why is Thruxton such a tough circuit on tyres?

Thruxton is the fastest circuit on the calendar. However, compared to most fast circuits that have long straights, Thruxton is one long sequence of curves that constantly put tyres under heavy load. Even the start finish ‘straight’ is curved!

In addition, the circuit has a very abrasive surface and our Thruxton tyre has a compound proven to cope with this.

Thirdly, the kerbs at the chicane and the complex are very aggressive and our revised construction is designed to tackle the challenge of a tyre impacting with these kerbs at high speed.

A unique tyre and track means the teams must adapt their strategy.

With this special tyre, it is critically important to run specific vehicle camber settings and tyre pressures to optimize its performance. Last year, the winning teams followed these settings and had strong tyre performance throughout the weekend. We will share this advice and guidance from last year’s success with all the teams.

Tyre pressures play an even greater role at Thruxton.

Tyre pressures vary from car to car and are also dependent on set-up and driving style. Our analysis of tyre temperatures and pressures from qualifying and practice will allow us to guide the teams on what pressures they should run in the race. When tyre pressures are low at the start of the race, we also advise avoiding the kerbs until the tyres are up to full operating pressure and temperature.

At all rounds of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship we have a group of highly qualified tyre engineers who monitor the pressure and temperature of each tyre whenever the car comes into the pits during practice, qualifying and after the race. Measuring the temperature across the tread face of the tyre can highlight if teams are running a set up that is too aggressive to provide optimum performance over a full race distance.

In addition, our unique Radio Frequency ID chips in the tyres allow us to monitor the usage of each tyre and assist the teams in managing their allocation of tyres over the weekend.

Road drivers can learn a lot from the Thruxton challenge.

Tyres, whether for the racetrack or the road, are complex things formed of many components. Maintenance and inspection are critical to getting them to function optimally. Our product development is driven by our “race to road technology” philosophy and the same rules on tyre maintenance apply to road drivers as well as our BTCC teams. We recommend that all motorists inspect their tyres regularly, check pressures, avoid kerbing their tyres and have their geometry checked – carrying out these checks and taking appropriate action will maximize tyre life and performance.
http://www.itv.com/btcc/blogs/blog-thruxton-a-tough-circuit-on-tyres/

Rob
29th April 2012, 10:40
Weather is terrible, hats off to all the fans there.

Julie B
29th April 2012, 12:43
Weather is terrible, hats off to all the fans there.

Don't think my brollie could handle that weather :-)

Julie B
29th April 2012, 12:44
Race 1 - Results

Mat Jackson has won Thruxton’s first Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race which ended early under a red flag.

Jackson led every lap on a soaking wet track, taking advantage of a first-corner tangle between Andrew Jordan and Jason Plato (pictured) to move into first position.

Jordan’s Pirtek Racing Honda Civic, which had started from pole position, span across the track into the barriers while Plato’s delayed MG KX Momentum Racing MG6 was able to continue in fifth.

He would eventually make his way up to third to follow home Jackson’s Redstone Racing Ford Focus and Dave Newsham’s Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra. Newsham’s second place is the best result of his BTCC career to date.

Warwickshire’s Jackson said of his second win of the season: “The conditions were atrocious with standing water so it was important I made the most of the others getting delayed by Jason and Andrew’s incident. It gave me a vital break and meant I had a clear road ahead with no spray. When I saw the safety car boards come out I though ‘oh no’ so was relieved it was red-flagged in the end.”

Inverness racer Newsham added: “The red flag was a relief. The car was sliding about more and more every lap and becoming almost uncontrollable. I could maybe have had a go at pushing Mat early on but thought it best to not take any daft risks. It’s still a great result.”

Oxford’s Plato, whose third place extends his championship lead, commented: “Maybe I’m not as brave as I once was but the red flag was a welcome sight. The incident with Andrew at the first bend was just one of those things – he’d made a slow start, I was alongside and there’s the inevitable sticking out of elbows.”

And the disappointed Jordan explained: “I’d not got my car out of first gear very well which allowed Jason up alongside me. I was on a tighter line but wasn’t going to give my lead up that easy and it just got away from me. We’ve got quite a lot of damage to repair for race two.”

Finishing fourth and fifth, each having held third spot early on, were local Hampshire ace Robert Collard (eBay Motors BMW) and Frank Wrathall (Dynojet Toyota Avensis). Sixth and setting the race’s fastest lap as he fought through from 18th on the grid was Gordon Shedden in his Honda Yuasa Racing Team Civic. Reigning Champion Matt Neal was tenth having started 19th.

The safety car period and subsequent red flag followed a heavy crash at Allard corner for Liam Griffin’s Redstone Focus. Others to fall foul of the conditions included Speedworks Motorsport Toyota Avensis duo Tony Hughes and Adam Morgan, the former crashing out at Goodwood, the latter retiring in the pit lane after running off the track. Rob Austin’s RAR Audi A4 lost a wheel on the opening lap and Daniel Welch was unable to start when his Welch Motorsport Proton Persona stopped on the way to the grid.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 22m36.478s
2. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall + 0.876s
3. Jason Plato Triple 8 MG + 1.999s
4. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 2.597s
5. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 3.367s
6. Gordon Shedden Dynamics Honda + 4.744s
7. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 5.522s
8. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 6.204s
9. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 7.212s
10. Matt Neal Dynamics Honda + 7.971s
11. Tony Gilham Gilham Honda + 9.072s
12. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen + 9.616s
13. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 10.098s
14. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 10.973s
15. Chris James ES Vauxhall + 11.186s
16. Andy Neate Triple 8 MG + 12.402s

Retirements:

Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 10 laps
Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 9 laps
Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 7 laps
Rob Austin Austin Audi 2 laps
Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 0 laps
Daniel Welch Welch Proton 0 laps

Rob
29th April 2012, 13:14
Don't think my brollie could handle that weather :-)

:lol i wouldnt even bother with 1 it those conditions. Bound get wet no matter what, :roll

Julie B
29th April 2012, 14:46
Race 2 - Results

Gordon Shedden was a dominant winner in today’s second wet Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race at Thruxton.

Shedden started from sixth on the grid but, after two opening laps on a sodden circuit behind the safety car, he then swiftly picked off those ahead to secure his third win of the season. He also set the race’s fastest lap in his Honda Yuasa Racing Team Civic.

Jason Plato was second in his MG KX Momentum Racing MG6 after passing Mat Jackson, who’d led the race’s early stages in his Redstone Racing Ford Focus, into the chicane. Jackson, today’s first race winner, was this time struggling for grip in the closing stages and he only just finished in third ahead of the fast-closing Frank Wrathall’s Dynojet Toyota Avensis.

Fife racer Shedden commented: “Having lost a potential pole position yesterday in qualifying, to bounce back with sixth in race one and now a win is just what we needed. The Civic’s chassis was just awesome around the back of the circuit which is where I made up so much time on the others and, had I been on pole for race one, then who knows… maybe we’d be celebrating two wins.”

Championship leader Plato added: “The conditions this time weren’t as bad as in race one but there was no stopping Gordon in that one. In these conditions it’s important just to get to the end and second place is still a big chunk of points.”

And said Jackson: “The tyres at the end of that one were finished – the NGTC cars like the Honda and MG have the bigger 18-inch tyre and there was no answer to them in those conditions. I had to drive a really defensive line on that last lap to stop Wrathall getting past. Another lap and I don’t think I’d have been able to hang on…”

Significantly, Plato has increased his overall advantage at the top of the table but it is Shedden who has now emerged as his closest challenger ahead of Jackson and reigning Champion Matt Neal who are tied for third.

Having started from tenth Shedden’s team-mate Neal, who lost time when he accidentally cut his car's ignition trying to re-set his failing windscreen wipers (!), took fifth ahead of Dave Newsham who had run as high as second early on in his Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra.

Robert Collard (eBay Motors BMW) and Jackson’s team-mate Aron Smith, again scoring strongly, took seventh and eighth. But the race’s most exciting battle was for ninth, eventually taken by Tony Gilham’s Team HARD. Honda Civic which will start today's third race from pole position.

He was just ahead of Andrew Jordan’s Pirtek Racing Honda Civic which had battled through from the back of the grid. Pirtek’s Jeff Smith took 11th ahead of Lea Wood’s BINZ Racing Vauxhall Vectra and Tom Onslow-Cole’s eBay Motors BMW. Both had been ahead of Gilham until the closing stages before being shuffled down the order…

Newsham’s team-mate Chris James might also have finished in among this lot but slid straight on into a barrier while defending his place from Jordan and retired with front-end damage to his car further around the lap.

1. Gordon Shedden Dynamics Honda 1m21.298s
2. Jason Plato Triple 8 MG + 3.147s
3. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford + 6.345s
4. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 6.585s
5. Matt Neal Dynamics Honda + 9.858s
6. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall + 15.085s
7. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 23.423s
8. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 26.406s
9. Tony Gilham Gilham Honda + 29.130s
10. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 29.187s
11. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 35.190s
12. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 35.390s
13. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 37.429s
14. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 48.032s
15. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen + 58.937s
16. Andy Neate Triple 8 MG + 1m17.297s
17. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 1m17.512s
18. Rob Austin Austin Audi + 1 lap
19. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 1 lap

Retirements:

Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 12 laps
Chris James ES Vauxhall 6 laps

Rob
29th April 2012, 15:33
Flash was flying in race 2. Some good race all in all today.

Tifosi
29th April 2012, 18:27
Flash was driver of the day again today. Plus he didn't have his usual dose of bad luck :thumb

Rob
29th April 2012, 18:29
he had a cracking weekend really, his car has been hooked up from Friday. Its still long way too go, but fingers crossed he could take the title.

Sianellen
29th April 2012, 18:29
Flash was driver of the day again today. Plus he didn't have his usual dose of bad luck :thumb

He seems to have ditched these days :-) I hope he can win the championship, he is totally sweet. :-D

Tifosi
29th April 2012, 18:44
he had a cracking weekend really, his car has been hooked up from Friday. Its still long way too go, but fingers crossed he could take the title.

Speak for yourself Mr Allum ;-)

Rob
29th April 2012, 18:54
Speak for yourself Mr Allum ;-)

He deserves it more than most.

Me and Tobes chatting earlier, we got a plan for my lil Keira, she be there in 20 years :thumb:-D

Julie B
29th April 2012, 19:07
Race 3 - Results

Gordon Shedden led home team-mate Matt Neal in a Honda Yuasa Racing Team 1-2 in Thruxton’s third Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race.

The pair, who started from ninth and fifth places on the grid respectively, took advantage of a hectic first lap to quickly rise up the order.

Starting lap three there was just Tony Gilham’s Honda Civic to pass but the Team HARD. driver who’d started from pole position made them work for it. Both, though, were able to slip by through the Campbell-Cobb-Segrave ‘complex’ of bends. Gilham would then crash out of third place two laps later at the same section of track.

Shedden and Neal then simply romped away in the spray to finish more than seven seconds clear of the rest. Shedden did allow Neal to lead for a lap so as to score a bonus point but they quickly swapped back enabling the Scot to take his fourth win of the season.

He has now closed to within four points of championship leader Jason Plato who finished the race in fourth in his MG KX Momentum Racing MG6. Third, resisting great pressure from Plato during the last five laps, was the determined Frank Wrathall in his Dynojet Toyota Avensis.

Shedden, whose car’s windscreen wipers failed during the race, said: “Apart from qualifying which was a disaster it has been a mega weekend. A sixth and two wins after my two wins at Donington a fortnight ago… it doesn’t get much better. The Civic is in a class of its own through the corners and in the wet conditions it was just phenomenal. It’s important we take advantage of days like today.”

Reigning Champion Neal, who is third in the standings, added: “Gordon has been the man to beat all weekend and he thoroughly deserves his results. I’m happy to get on the podium in the final race as it was a bit of a scruffy day up until that point.”

And said Wrathall: “We’ve had a terrific day – fifth, fourth and now third as well as being the winning independent. I had a few podiums last season but this is by far the most satisfying so far because I did it by holding off someone of Jason’s calibre. I’m really chuffed.”

Andrew Jordan, the man who’d started the day on pole position, finished fifth in his Pirtek Racing Honda ahead of Mat Jackson, the Redstone Racing Ford Focus driver completing another strong day in sixth to add to his first and third place results in the other two races.

Seventh and eighth were Robert Collard (eBay Motors BMW) and Lea Wood (BINZ Racing Vauxhall Vectra) but their cars stopped immediately after the line with damage after contact at the final corner.

Pirtek’s Jeff Smith and eBay Motors’ Tom Onslow-Cole finished in ninth and tenth. But one had to feel for Adam Morgan – he’d been on course for a best-ever result of ninth only for his Speedworks Motorsport Toyota to run out of fuel…

There was, however, a minor cheer among the hard-trying RAR team as Rob Austin brought its Audi A4 home in the points in 13th after a thoroughly trying weekend.
1. Gordon Shedden Dynamics Honda 22m42.574s
2. Matt Neal Dynamics Honda + 0.719s
3. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 8.102s
4. Jason Plato Triple 8 MG + 9.647s
5. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 13.264s
6. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford + 25.112s
7. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 41.980s
8. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 44.687s
9. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 45.249s
10. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 50.975s
11. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 53.379s
12. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 54.136s
13. Rob Austin Austin Audi + 1m08.744s
14. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 1 lap
15. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen + 1 lap
16. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 1 lap
17. Chris James ES Vauxhall + 1 lap
18. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall + 2 laps

Retirements:

Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 15 laps
Andy Neate Triple 8 MG 6 laps
Tony Gilham Gilham Honda 5 laps

Tobes
30th April 2012, 19:28
He deserves it more than most.

Me and Tobes chatting earlier, we got a plan for my lil Keira, she be there in 20 years :thumb:-D

It's a plan... :thumb

Rob
30th April 2012, 19:29
It's a plan... :thumb

:thumb oh yeah :thumb