PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2012 - Brands Hatch

Julie B
20th October 2012, 13:19
Practice
Matt Neal headed a Honda 1-2-3 in a damp opening Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship practice session on Brands Hatch’s Grand Prix circuit.

Neal set the pace with a best lap of 1m44.510s in his Honda Yuasa Racing Team Civic with a late-session burst. Impressively, all of his final three laps would have put him at the top.

Next up were his team-mate Gordon Shedden and fellow Honda driver, Pirtek Racing’s Andrew Jordan, respective leaders of the outright and Independent drivers’ championships going into this weekend’s title-deciding round.

Jason Plato, Shedden’s biggest threat, was fourth in his new-look KX Momentum Racing MG, some 1.2s off Neal’s pace. But he declared: “There’s no point pushing for a time in these conditions. All we’ve done is scrub in dry and wet weather tyres.”

Indeed, the leading times were some 13 seconds off the qualifying and race laps records, but there were still several surprises of note.

Will Bratt was a fine fifth in his wixracing.co.uk Audi A4 and Ollie Jackson tenth in AmD Tuning.com’s VW Golf, just ahead of Chris James’s ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra. Making his debut this weekend, Aaron Williamson was 18th fastest of the 24 runners in Team HARD’s Honda Civic.

James's car was the fastest of all through the first of three speed traps, with Shedden's Honda and Mat Jackson's fifth-placed Redstone Racing Ford Focus ahead in the next two. Of the three sectors, Neal was untouchable in the first two but it was Daniel Welch, eighth fastest overall, who was quickest in the third in his Welch Motorsport Proton Persona.

Meanwhile Frank Wrathall’s session was a brief affair, his Dynojet Toyota Avensis stopping in the pit lane with smoke, caused by an oil leak, pouring from its engine bay.

Andrew Jordan headed Brands Hatch’s second Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship practice session that witnessed a bizarre incident involving Daniel Welch and Tony Gilham.

On an almost fully dry track Jordan set the pace with a stunning lap of 1m31.765s in his Pirtek Racing Honda Civic. This is just outside the qualifying lap record and hugely impressive considering that parts of the GP section of the circuit remained greasy after overnight rain.

Jordan was also a staggering 0.652s ahead of the next fastest driver Tom Onslow-Cole whose eBay Motors team-mate Robert Collard – chasing Jordan for the Independent drivers’ crown this weekend – was third.

Jason Plato was fourth in his KX Momentum Racing MG6 as Jeff Smith and Nick Foster further underlined the Pirtek and eBay teams’ form in fifth and sixth.

Honda Yuasa Racing Team duo Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden were seventh and eighth ahead of another pair of team-mates, Mat Jackson and Aron Smith in their Redstone Racing Ford Focus STs. Jackson's car was the swiftest of all through the first and third speed traps, Jordan's through the second. Jordan was also fastest of all in the first and second sectors, Onslow-Cole the third...

Shortly into the session, however, there was a peculiar incident on the start-finish straight when Gilham’s Team HARD. Vauxhall Insignia and Welch’s Welch Motorsport Proton Persona clashed and spun, the latter’s car becoming stranded side-on to traffic. He quickly rejoined but then, with obvious damage, spun at Paddock Hill Bend and stopped on the infield.

Gilham said: “I don’t know whether Dan lost it on a damp patch, but he spun into me and that sent me spinning into the pit wall. It wasn’t a hard hit but there’s no need for this… it’s a practice session.”

Welch responded: “I don’t know where Tony thought I was going to fit on the circuit. He was warming up tyres and I ended up becoming pinned between his car and the pit wall which I bounced off and spun.”

There was later a brief red flag delay to enable marshals to recover the stranded Speedworks Toyota Avensis of Tony Hughes which had spun lightly into the barriers heading up Hailwood Hill.

Rob
20th October 2012, 15:00
Jordan out on his own
Andrew Jordan headed Brands Hatch’s second Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship practice session that witnessed a bizarre incident involving Daniel Welch and Tony Gilham.

On an almost fully dry track Jordan set the pace with a stunning lap of 1m31.765s in his Pirtek Racing Honda Civic. This is just outside the qualifying lap record and hugely impressive considering that parts of the GP section of the circuit remained greasy after overnight rain.

Jordan was also a staggering 0.652s ahead of the next fastest driver Tom Onslow-Cole whose eBay Motors team-mate Robert Collard – chasing Jordan for the Independent drivers’ crown this weekend – was third.

Jason Plato was fourth in his KX Momentum Racing MG6 as Jeff Smith and Nick Foster further underlined the Pirtek and eBay teams’ form in fifth and sixth.

Honda Yuasa Racing Team duo Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden were seventh and eighth ahead of another pair of team-mates, Mat Jackson and Aron Smith in their Redstone Racing Ford Focus STs. Jackson's car was the swiftest of all through the first and third speed traps, Jordan's through the second. Jordan was also fastest of all in the first and second sectors, Onslow-Cole the third...

Shortly into the session, however, there was a peculiar incident on the start-finish straight when Gilham’s Team HARD. Vauxhall Insignia and Welch’s Welch Motorsport Proton Persona clashed and spun, the latter’s car becoming stranded side-on to traffic. He quickly rejoined but then, with obvious damage, spun at Paddock Hill Bend and stopped on the infield.

Gilham said: “I don’t know whether Dan lost it on a damp patch, but he spun into me and that sent me spinning into the pit wall. It wasn’t a hard hit but there’s no need for this… it’s a practice session.”

Welch responded: “I don’t know where Tony thought I was going to fit on the circuit. He was warming up tyres and I ended up becoming pinned between his car and the pit wall which I bounced off and spun.”

There was later a brief red flag delay to enable marshals to recover the stranded Speedworks Toyota Avensis of Tony Hughes which had spun lightly into the barriers heading up Hailwood Hill.

Rob
20th October 2012, 15:01
Look as if tomorrow going be a blinder of season finale.

Julie B
20th October 2012, 15:38
Qualifying
Tom Onslow-Cole has achieved pole position in a sensationally close Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying session at Brands Hatch.

eBay Motors BMW driver Onslow-Cole had been at the top of the timesheets only for Andrew Jordan to go faster in his Pirtek Racing Honda Civic as the chequered flag fell.

But just seconds later, Onslow-Cole, on his final lap as well, flashed across the line with an even better time to reclaim top spot on the starting grid for the first of tomorrow’s title-deciding final three races of the season.

Matt Neal was third in his Honda Yuasa Racing Team Civic ahead of Onslow-Cole’s team-mate Robert Collard who, on his final lap, bumped Jason Plato down to fifth position. Honda’s Gordon Shedden, who Plato is chasing for the outright drivers’ crown, was seventh behind the impressive Adam Morgan in his Speedworks Toyota Avensis.

Plato’s session, meanwhile, ended with a spin into the gravel trap at Paddock Hill Bend as he made one last effort to improve.

A sensational eighth on his debut was youngster Aaron Williamson in Team HARD.’s older S2000-spec Honda Civic.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW 1m31.615s
2. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 1m31.703s + 0.088s
3. Matt Neal Honda 1m31.916s + 0.301s
4. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m32.172s + 0.557s
5. Jason Plato MG 1m32.197s + 0.582s
6. Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 1m32.200s + 0.585s
7. Gordon Shedden Honda 1m32.223s + 0.608s
8. Aaron Williamson HARD Civic 1m32.352s + 0.737s
9. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 1m32.400s + 0.785s
10. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall 1m32.422s + 0.807s
11. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 1m32.444s + 0.829s
12. Nick Foster WSR BMW 1m32.544s + 0.929s
13. Will Bratt Austin Audi 1m32.608s + 0.993s
14. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 1m32.622s + 1.007s
15. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall 1m32.799s + 1.184s
16. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m32.832s + 1.217s
17. Daniel Welch Welch Proton 1m32.965s + 1.350s
18. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen 1m32.994s + 1.379s
19. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda 1m33.082s + 1.467s
20. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 1m33.534s + 1.919s
21. Andy Neate MG 1m33.673s + 2.058s
22. Chris James ES Vauxhall 1m35.466s + 3.851s
23. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 1m36.156s + 4.541s

Rob
20th October 2012, 15:46
Wow didnt think TOC would get pole, well done to him.

Who you want to win title Julie?

Julie B
20th October 2012, 15:51
Wow didnt think TOC would get pole, well done to him.

Who you want to win title Julie?

Super Sheds :thumb

Tifosi
20th October 2012, 18:28
As a long time Plato supporter, I would just like to say that, should The Sheds win it tomorrow, I will be VERY pleased for him. He has proven his mettle and he has been so unlucky in the last few years. He's a great driver and he has balls, so whilst I will be rooting for Plato, I will consider Gordon a totally worthy victor (much like I did Gio), if he should win.

I will NEVER say that about Matt Neal by the way. He is, and will always remain, an utter utter ****. :-D

Here's to a great climax to the season. :thumb

Rob
20th October 2012, 18:31
Flash really deserves it more. Do like Matt Neal, and over past year or so warmed abit more too Plato. Just from watching 5th Gear. He is funny doing the team reviews. But i know what you saying Stu. But just cannt count Plato out, hope these two (Flash&Plato) really go for it and clean (ish) racing.

Sianellen
20th October 2012, 18:32
As a long time Plato supporter, I would just like to say that, should The Sheds win it tomorrow, I will be VERY pleased for him. He has proven his metal and he has been so unlucky in the last few years. He's a great driver and he has balls, so whilst I will be rooting for Plato, I will consider Gordon a totally worthy victor (much like I did Gio), if he should win.

I will NEVER say that about Matt Neal by the way. He is, and will always remain, an utter utter ****. :-)

Here's to a great climax to the season. :thumb

:thumb

Tifosi
20th October 2012, 18:38
Flash really deserves it more. Do like Matt Neal, and over past year or so warmed abit more too Plato. Just from watching 5th Gear. He is funny doing the team reviews. But i know what you saying Stu. But just cannt count Plato out, hope these two (Flash&Plato) really go for it and clean (ish) racing.

There has to be a nemesis in motorsport Rob. Without the Matt Neals and Lewis Hamiltons, we would all be bored :-)

Sianellen
20th October 2012, 18:42
There has to be a nemesis in motorsport Rob. Without the Matt Neals and Lewis Hamiltons, we would all be bored :-)

Matt Neal has marshals as a nemesis now too.

Tifosi
20th October 2012, 18:52
Matt Neal has marshals as a nemesis now too.

I personally don't think that the Marshals are fat! I always assumed that some were more flammable than others and so were required to stuff large fire-retardant cushions down their faded orange overalls and wear wide-brimmed Aussie hats to stop their receding hairlines from catching fire when a Honda pulls up in front of them :-D

Greig
20th October 2012, 18:59
I hope Sheds wins it, but I honestly think in typical Scottish fashion Plato will snatch it away from him :-D

Rob
20th October 2012, 19:05
Dont say that Greig, Flash has got too get title tomorrow :pray

Sianellen
20th October 2012, 19:07
Dont say that Greig, Flash has got too get title tomorrow :pray

Yeah, don't say that! :-s Go Sheds! :-D

Rob
20th October 2012, 19:08
:oops

:-??

Sianellen
20th October 2012, 19:10
If it helps, I am tragically unlucky in recent history when it comes to individuals I support winning titles.. I'm hoping to break that tomorrow! :-??

Tifosi
20th October 2012, 20:49
GO PLATO!!

https://p.twimg.com/Au4h3wECAAASVbD.jpg

Sianellen
20th October 2012, 20:55
GO PLATO!!

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01589/plato_1589781a.jpg

Tifosi
20th October 2012, 20:58
http://youtu.be/22_5xulHSkw

Rob
21st October 2012, 12:24
Neal wins opening race
Matt Neal has won the first of today’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races on Brands Hatch’s Grand Prix circuit to bring his title hopes back to life.

Tom Onslow-Cole led initially but Neal’s Honda Yuasa Racing Team Civic was soon past the eBay Motors BMW and from there was never headed on a wet track. Neal also set the race’s fastest lap for a bonus point.

Andrew Jordan was second in his Pirtek Racing Honda Civic ahead of Onslow-Cole who took third.

Aron Smith was a feisty fourth in Redstone Racing’s Ford Focus ST after some determined overtaking moves, while team-mate Mat Jackson retired in the pit lane.

Neal’s team-mate Gordon Shedden took fifth, just ahead of eBay’s Robert Collard and Team ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra driver Dave Newsham, these two separated by just 0.019s at the line.

Jason Plato was eighth but struggle for outright pace in a heavily understeering KX Momentum Racing MG6.

It all means that Shedden continues to lead the standings heading into this afternoon’s penultimate race of the season by the increased margin of 18 points from Plato. Defending Champion Neal, though, has reduced his gap to Shedden from 31 points to 20, setting up a nail-biting afternoon of action.

Worcestershire's Neal, still in pain after breaking a hand some weeks ago, commented: "The rain helped. You don't have to put so much load into the steering. But the car was fantastic. Yes it's brought me closer but Gordon has picked up decent points as well which is good for him. And Andrew. We're having a good day at Honda."

Jordan can longer win the outright drivers’ title, but his maximum Independents score has done wonders for his bid for the privateers’ title – he now leads those standings by 35 points from Collard with only 40 available from today’s remaining two races.

Meanwhile Jordan said: "The Independents titles are the priority for us and that's done us the power of good in the drivers' table. The Teams Trophy could go anyone's way, though."

The fight for the Independent Teams Trophy has also intensified. eBay Motors remains in front but Pirtek Racing is now just two points behind with Redstone Racing only another nine adrift.

Elsewhere, Frank Wrathall's Dynojet Toyota Avensis and Tony Gilham's Team HARD. Vauxhall Insignia both retired in the pit lane after on-track spills. Ollie Jackson also failed to finish after his AmD Tuning.com slid off the track at Druids Hill Bend, this resulting in a brief safety car period as marshals recovered his stricken car.

Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Matt Neal Honda 31m27.137s
2. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 0.526s
3. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 1.040s
4. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 6.698s
5. Gordon Shedden Honda + 11.082s
6. Rob Collard WSR BMW + 11.925s
7. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall + 11.944s
8. Jason Plato MG + 14.301s
9. Will Bratt Austin Audi + 25.050s
10. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 27.407s
11. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 27.583s
12. Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota + 31.829s
13. Andy Neate MG + 33.821s
14. Aaron Williamson Gilham Honda + 33.967s
15. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 34.582s
16. Daniel Welch Welch Proton + 34.770s
17. Rob Austin Austin Audi + 35.933s
18. Chris James ES Vauxhall + 42.163s
19. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 52.665s
20. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 53.184s

Retirements:

Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 16 laps
Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 14 laps
Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen 4 laps
Tony Gilham Thorney Vauxhall 3 laps

Rob
21st October 2012, 12:42
@jasonplato having some love-in with the marshals at Brands

http://i47.tinypic.com/zmigeb.jpg

Greig
21st October 2012, 13:37
Wooohooo well done Sheds, the champ at last :champ:-bounce:redblob:msking:topdance:nana:champ

Julie B
21st October 2012, 13:39
:nana Whooooooohoooooooooooooo :nana Super Sheds :-)

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae339/JulieB1711/BTCC%20Knockhill%20-%2026%20August%202012/BTCCKnockhill2012-4.jpg

Sianellen
21st October 2012, 13:42
Woohooo!!! So happy for Flash!! :clap

Rob
21st October 2012, 13:51
Well done Flash finally Champion :champ:champ:champ:dance:dance:dance:dance

http://i45.tinypic.com/3498nq0.jpg

Julie B
21st October 2012, 13:51
Race 2 - Results

Aron Smith has won the second of today’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car races at Brands Hatch but Gordon Shedden is the new Champion.

Smith took the lead from Tom Onslow-Cole following the first of two safety car periods to achieve the first race win of his BTCC career in his Redstone Racing Ford Focus.

But second place and the fastest lap for Shedden is enough to make him the new 2012 Champion and the first Scottish driver to lift the BTCC crown since John Cleland in 1995.

Shedden’s team-mate Matt Neal, the outgoing Champion, finished the race in third.

1. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 35m56.647s
2. Gordon Shedden Honda + 2.615s
3. Matt Neal Honda + 4.489s
4. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 4.979s
5. Jason Plato MG + 8.829s
6. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota + 9.503s
7. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford + 9.699s
8. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda + 13.835s
9. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 14.125s
10. Rob Austin Austin Audi + 19.418s
11. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen + 27.026s
12. Andy Neate MG + 40.033s
13. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford + 40.974s
14. Nick Foster WSR BMW + 46.584s
15. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 46.721s
16. Chris James ES Vauxhall + 49.536s
17. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota + 49.901s

Retirements:

Aaron Williamson Gilham Honda 11 laps
Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 10 laps
Tony Gilham Gilham Vauxhall 6 laps
Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall 5 laps
Daniel Welch Welch Proton 5 laps
Will Bratt Austin Audi 0 laps
Rob Collard WSR BMW 0 laps

Rob
21st October 2012, 14:00
Matt and Gordon do get on very well, so pleased for Gordon, and Andrew Jordan well done on Indie title.

Sianellen
21st October 2012, 14:12
I have lost my fingernails. :-D

Tifosi
21st October 2012, 14:31
Congratulations Flash. Worthy Champion :-) :champ

Now, to polish off badfinger :thumb

Sianellen
21st October 2012, 15:01
:-)

Jason Plato ‏@jasonplato
Congratulations to @gordonshedden. You deserve it this year fella. Enjoy your moment. A few wee drams t'neet I think

Tifosi
21st October 2012, 15:53
:-)

Jason Plato ‏@jasonplato
Congratulations to @gordonshedden. You deserve it this year fella. Enjoy your moment. A few wee drams t'neet I think

English people are crap at trying to write (or tweet) in the Scottish vernacular .

He's no Irvine Welsh, that's for sure :-D

Julie B
21st October 2012, 17:34
Race 3 - Results

Frank Wrathall has taken victory in today’s third Dunlop MSA British Touring Car race at Brands Hatch – his first victory in the championship.

Wrathall took over at the front after a couple of laps when earlier leader Mat Jackson’s Redstone Racing Ford Focus slowed.

The Lancashire driver then cruised to the first race win in the BTCC for himself, his Dynojet team and its Toyota Avensis. It's the first win for a Toyota in a BTCC race since Julian Bailey triumphed at Knockhill in 1993.

Finishing second, third and fourth and crossing the line abreast were the three Honda Civics of factory Yuasa-backed pair Matt Neal and newly-crowned Champion Gordon Shedden and Pirtek Racing’s Andrew Jordan.

Jordan’s fourth place is enough to give Pirtek Racing the Independent teams’ title. Jordan had earlier also wrapped up the Independent Drivers Championship.

1. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 26m41.205s
2. Matt Neal Honda + 6.893s
3. Gordon Shedden Honda + 6.980s
4. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda + 7.065s
5. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford + 10.454s
6. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall + 13.776s
7. Rob Austin Austin Audi + 14.190s
8. Jason Plato MG + 18.568s
9. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall + 18.834s
10. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW + 20.277s
11. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen + 21.974s