PDA

View Full Version : Le-Mans 24hrs 2013

Rob
15th June 2013, 13:13
Well it kicks off tomorrow with Scrutineering. Will use this thread for all build up news, quali and race news/updates.

24H LE MANS: SCRUTINEERING BEGINS AT 14:30H SUNDAY

The countdown to the 2013 24 Hours of Le Mans officially begins at 15:00h on Sunday, 16th June when the first 23 of the 56 entries for the 90th anniversary edition of the world’s most famous sports car race pass through their administrative and scrutineering checks.

Held in Place de la République in the centre of Le Mans, all cars and drivers entered for the race must present themselves, their official licences and racing equipment such as helmets and suits to the officials tasked with ensuring that they fully comply with the regulations.

The first of the FIA World Endurance Championship cars to go through will be LMGTE Am’s No.76 IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 911 GT3 RSR at 15:15h, followed by the two Lotus T128 LMP2 cars and the OAK Racing entries, the first of which is due to begin the process at 16:10h. Further LMP2 challengers from the Gulf Racing Middle East, Delta-ADR and G-Drive Racing teams will be under the scrutiny of the officials from 16:40h before one of the day’s highlights begins.

The many thousands of fans who will have assembled in the town will, at 17:10, enjoy their first close up look at the two LMP1 Toyota Racing TS030-HYBRIDS and the all-star driver line up who will be challenging for overall honours in this third round of the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship.

The final two FIA WEC cars to go through scrutineering on Sunday are the No.88 Proton Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (LMGTEAm) at 18:10h and 30 minutes later the first of the LMP1 Privateer entries to be rolled in front of the public – the No.21 Strakka Racing HPD ARX 03c Honda.

After each team has completed all its technical and administrative checks, the team members assemble with their car and drivers for a group photograph. That is when everyone knows that their week at the 24 Hours of Le Mans has officially begun!

Sunday, June 16

15:15 No.76 IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 911 GT3 RSR LMGTE Am

15:30 No.32 Lotus T128 LMP2

15:45 No.31 Lotus T128 LMP2

16:10 No.24 OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan LMP2

16:20 No.35 OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan LMP2

16:40 No.28 Gulf Racing Middle East Lola B12/80 Coupe-Nissan LMP2

16:50 No.25 Delta-ADR ORECA 03 Nissan LMP2

17:00 No.26 G-Drive Racing ORECA 03 Nissan LMP2

17:10 No.7 Toyota Racing Toyota TS030 Hybrid LMP1

17:20 No.8 Toyota Racing Toyota TS030 Hybrid LMP1

18:10 No.88 Proton Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR LMGTE Am

18:40 No.21 Strakka Racing HPD ARX 03c-Honda LMP1

Details of all the cars due to go through Scrutineering on Monday, June 17 will be released tomorrow.

Rob
15th June 2013, 13:15
MURPHY PROTOTYPES TO TEST DAY
As all competitors 81st 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Irish team Murphy Prototypes participated last Sunday, the traditional test day.

http://youtu.be/MVTI1n-h97E
Sunday, June 9, at 9 am, the fifty five cars entered the 24 Hours of Le Mans are soaring on the big Sarthe circuit. It was time to finally discover the latest innovations that will mark the 90th anniversary of the 24 Hours. Alpine and Nissan, Viper GTS-R and other Porsche 911 RSR made a grand entrance.

Among the sixteen nationalities teams have this year Ireland will be honored. The Murphy Prototypes team as last year incur an Oreca 03 Nissan LM P2. This chassis, driven by Hartley, Mark Patterson and Karun Chandhok DISPLA all day fine performances. By late morning, and despite rainy weather, she realized the sixteenth time of the morning in 4'04'' 610. Unfortunately, as time Le Mans improved, the prototype lost ground on their opponents and found himself in the twenty-second and thirteenth place overall in its class.

The next confrontation will be held Wednesday June 19, during the first timed practice session. This will be the moment of truth! Until that evening, find in this video a lap in on-board camera of the Oreca 03 Nissan of the Irish team, along with Brendon Hartley. Click below to learn more about commitment , the categories and the program of the 90th anniversary edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which will be held on 22 and 23 June

Rob
15th June 2013, 13:17
24 HEURES DU MANS 2013: UNDER THE SUN?
After a chilly spring and rainy most of France, was Will he finally make its appearance to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the 24 Hours of Le Mans?

One thing is for sure, the fans at Weighing on Sunday to 14 hours should not need jackets advertised as temperatures exceed 20 degrees, against, an umbrella might be necessary Monday morning with 80% chance of rain.

Everything should be back to normal as soon as this afternoon under the sun that the free practice and the first qualifying session should take place Wednesday. Competitors will be well advised to get the best position on the grid in the first qualifying session because unfortunately the weather forecast for Thursday are somewhat pessimistic drizzle with the program.

Great Drivers Parade, which is traditionally held on Friday evening in the city center of Le Mans in turn could be watered by a few showers, as the warm-up and race start. However, the chances of rain for Saturday are limited to 30%.

The second part of the race and the finish should be played under overcast skies, but on a dry track.

The 2013 edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans should not be the hottest edition or the wettest, to the delight of the pilots, but also spectators and campers still many around the circuit.

Rob
15th June 2013, 19:07
http://i44.tinypic.com/23hrlaf.jpg

Nova
16th June 2013, 13:18
Great posts Rob. This is one of my favs for years. This year Speed is showing quite a bit, although I cant remember any channel ever showing the whole race. WOuld like to go there someday. Lemans tends to bring out some of the craziest n coolest designs of any race by far. Remember the 512 BBiLM? The 458's look pretty good, although the Astons look really strong, and Porsche will be there to wrest back the crown from Ferrari (The real rivals) Go Ferrari.

Rob
16th June 2013, 13:19
WEIGHING THE START IN A FEW HOURS!

The traditional week before the Le Mans 24 Hours (22-23 June) always opens by technical and administrative checks, commonly called the "Weighing". Required to obtain the famous sesame to compete in the race passing these checks are performed Republic Square (Sunday, June 16 from 14h30 to 19h, Monday, June 17 from 10 to 18).

They happen in two stages. It is first of all licensing control, helmets, suits for pilots, it is the so-called "administrative" part. During that time, cars are examined from every angle. This is the size of the car to lights, harness, weight through control of fire extinguishers and the tank is the "technical" part. About an hour is required for the car to be fully controlled. At the end, a souvenir picture together car (s), drivers and team members is taken.

The highlight of this year these checks point will be the passage of the two favorites for the final victory. Toyota TS 030 Hybrid will be presented on Sunday at 16:40, while the three Audi R18 Official E-Tron will be discussed the next day at 3:50 p.m.!

As in previous editions, the weighing is a genuine popular festival during which a crowd was incredible to see drivers and cars.

Rob
16th June 2013, 13:25
Great posts Rob. This is one of my favs for years. This year Speed is showing quite a bit, although I cant remember any channel ever showing the whole race. WOuld like to go there someday. Lemans tends to bring out some of the craziest n coolest designs of any race by far. Remember the 512 BBiLM? The 458's look pretty good, although the Astons look really strong, and Porsche will be there to wrest back the crown from Ferrari (The real rivals) Go Ferrari.

Think the Astons be strong aswell, but also the Vettes can never be counted out. Still think our fuel consumption is better than our enemies (rivals;-)). The 512 BBiLM menatl car, still very good looking. My main concern is the Astons, 5 they taking 3 in PRO and 2 in AM. Wednesday is the first days running, cannt wait.

Rob
16th June 2013, 13:56
Scrutineering live stream...
http://www.lemans-tv.com/

Rob
16th June 2013, 14:06
TOYOTA Racing ‏@Toyota_Hybrid 1m
About 40min to go before scrutineering for our cars. Enjoying a bit of sun while we wait.

Nero Horse
16th June 2013, 15:51
Remember the 512 BBiLM?

Oh yea, the 512BB LM was/is one of the coolest and most badass looking race car ever! An absolute beast of a car! Love it! It's such a shame though that it didn't have the kind of success it would've deserved to have had. Still a masterpiece of a machine, no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHGmqdLuqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td-g74ViEBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T93rMmwRNHo

Rob
16th June 2013, 15:57

Totally forgot that the Vipers are back this year. Now, they could be big big threat. :-??

Rob
16th June 2013, 17:21
Catching Up With Allan McNish
on 13/06/2013 18:17 in Interviews

I caught up with Allan McNish on the phone a couple of days after the Le Mans Test Day with the wee Scot taking in some R&R with the family in sunny Monaco before the madness of Le Mans week begins.

So tell me Allan, just between you, me and the Internet, was Loic’s time part of the programme or was it designed to send Toyota away scratching their heads?

“It was absolutely part of the work programme. Loic got a good clear lap at the time when the track was drying out nicely. I knew from my sector times that a time was on but my own lap was spoiled by another car spinning ahead of me at Indianapolis.

“In truth his time was a little bit better than the simulation data we had but I think that’s because the grip levels in several places are much higher than last year. For instance last year we had all sorts of trouble in the chicanes, they were slippery beyond belief, I think now though, with a further year they have cured well and the grip levels in theWEC in particular are just so much better.

“The same is true on the racing line out of Arnage too and the Porsche Curves look a lot tidier this year too, last year, and for a coupe, of years, there’s been some moss at the edge of the track in the final right handed and whilst that sounds ridiculous it really does make the difference between finding usable grip or not.

“So it was definitely zero to do with psychology, but there was a little something there I guess that Loic was saying thanks to the guys after the damage to the car in his earlier shunt was fixed so quickly and so well. There’s few better ways of getting the guys back in your corner than pulling a lap like that out and giving them something to cheer about.”

Aside from that how did the Test Day go for the team?

“We had a plan, and it was a good plan, but it all went out of the window with the rain in the morning.

“Once we got out in the afternoon (after the #2 car was repaired following Loic Duval’s morning accident) we pushed on with the programme, Tom went out on slicks later in the session and then I did just two quick laps with 40 minutes to go before handing the car back to Loic, he needed the time.

“What was clear from even our earliest running is than the balance of the car was really good, it felt particularly good in the Porsche a curves where you felt you could really attack. We lost some valuable track time but it wasn’t a disaster.”

So what’s your perspective on the difference we’ve seen, not just here but to this point in the season, between the Audis and Toyotas?

“We’ll I don’t think we have yet seen the full picture! There has been a lot written about what a huge step we have taken and whilst there has been a step I don’t think it’s been of the order of magnitude that’s being talked about.

“Yes the engine guys have done a very good job in clawing back the deficit we had to the Toyota last year and there have been aero improvements too but we are still learning about how this car works as a package and that’s only natural with something this new.

“As far as the comparisons with Toyota so far this year are concerned, let’s not forget that at Silverstone they ran their old cars – Let’s race it if we’d struggled against them with our 2013 package we’d have looked pretty silly and we’d have been in trouble.

“Don’t forget either that Silverstone was good for our car last year too, it suits the package we have more than several other places we’ll race. Toyota made some poor tyre decisions too so, all in all, it wasn’t as strong an indicator to form as it perhaps appeared.

“Then at Spa when Toyota ran a ’13 car alongside an old car and we had one of the long tail 13 cars too, they were running ahead of the Le Mans car before they had their hybrid system issue – Do we have the upper hand? Yes we do, but I am pretty sure there isn’t a huge step between us.”

You’ve won at Le Mans twice but have had some major disappointments too – Do you have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the race?

“Well at least I’ve had a bit of love there! If you win it’s fantastic, beautiful but if it goes wrong……..

“The one that sticks in my mind is 2010 when we had a problem early on and lost laps – That’s when it punishes you because it is such a long race to try to chase down cars that you know are likely to be reliable, that was a very tough one.”

Almost every driver I ask says they would take a Le Mans win over the World Championship – As someone who has already won it, what would you say?

“If I was being greedy I would say that I would take both and obviously that’s what we are pushing for but the fact is that a Le Mans win effectively does that anyway – In a Championship that is so close with the other team car the double points difference between winning Le Mans and coming second is effectively massive.

“Toyota already have a long way to come back but if they do well at Le Mans they are right back in it – Equally if any of us fail to finish at Le Mans we’re out of contention immediately. It matters then if you win it, if you don’t but in particular if you don’t finish at all!”

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=7749

Nova
17th June 2013, 02:54
Yes, the Vipers are back..technically, they belong to Fiat..Chrysler being a Fiat co now, with Viper being a Chrysler product. Dont think its going to matter much, but a few years ago, they were very dominant.

Rob
17th June 2013, 17:48
24H LE MANS: AUDI AIMS FOR 12TH VICTORY.

On June 22/23, Audi will be competing at the classic 24-hour race at Le Mans for the 15th time. On the 90th anniversary of the world’s most important endurance race, the challenge is particularly great for the brand with the four rings, following the most recent changes in the regulations.

Le Mans 2013 will be a year of historic dimensions. The inaugural event of the endurance race was held 90 years ago. Audi is now competing for the 15th time. The current World Endurance Champions Marcel Fässler/André Lotterer/Benoît Tréluyer (CH/D/F) will enter the race in the number ‘1’ Audi R18 e-tron quattro. If successful, the three drivers, following two consecutive victories, could manage a hat-trick at La Sarthe. This was last achieved by another Audi trio: In 2000, 2001 and 2002, Frank Biela/Emanuele Pirro/Tom Kristensen (D/I/DK) remained unbeaten three times in succession.

Le Mans record winner Tom Kristensen (eight wins) expects to be in contention for a top result with his current team-mates Loïc Duval (F) and Allan McNish (GB) as well. In April, the trio won the season opener of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) at Silverstone. A year ago, Kristensen and McNish finished as the runners-up at Le Mans.

The driver line-up of the Audi R18 e-tron quattro designated as car number ‘3’ is aiming for the trophy as well: Marc Gené (E) was the overall winner at Le Mans in 2009. Oliver Jarvis (GB) was on podium at Le Mans for the first time last year and in March won the 12-hour race at Sebring (USA) in the R18 e-tron quattro. Lucas di Grassi (BR) is experiencing a premiere. The Brazilian is contesting his first Le Mans race and since making his WEC debut with Audi last September has finished his three races to date on the podium. In doing so, he continually benefited from the wealth of experience of his team-mates in the Audi driver squad that boasts an amazing combined tally of 17 Le Mans victories.

On the technology side, the team of Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich and Chris Reinke, Head of LMP, has rigorously prepared for the toughest race of the season as well. The Audi R18 e-tron quattro has been thoroughly revised with respect to the engine, the hybrid system, its ultra-lightweight design and in other areas. Furthermore, the diesel hybrid sports car will be running with optimized aerodynamics at Le Mans.

Audi is underscoring its role as a technology pioneer with the high-performance LED headlights featuring matrix-beam technology, the digital rear-view mirror with an AMOLED display and other forward-thinking detailed solutions. Audi has been transferring a wealth of innovations from motorsport to its products for more than 30 years. Customers profit from ideas such as quattro four-wheel drive and leading-edge TDI and TFSI engines as well as the most recent innovations in the field of active safety.

The score in the duel between FIA Endurance World Champion Audi and challenger Toyota is currently at 5-3. But although Audi has been unbeaten this year in sports prototype racing to date and set the best time on the test day on June 9, a question mark remains: More than ever before, it is uncertain whether the rating of diesel and gasoline engines is sufficiently balanced to ensure fair relative strengths over the distance. Since January, diesel sports cars have progressively been subjected to more severe restrictions.

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, Head of Audi Motorsport: “This year, Le Mans will be a particularly great challenge for us. There have been various changes made to the regulations in recent months. This has put us in a position that will make it difficult for us to decide the competition in our favor based on our racing performance. But we’re going to focus on our strengths as a team, which we’ve demonstrated on numerous occasions. It’s about doing a one-hundred-percent perfect job. We’ve got to reduce the stopping times in the pits to a minimum and, that way, try to compensate for the restrictions which the regulations have imposed on us.”

Chris Reinke, Leiter LMP: “We thoroughly prepared for the most important race of the year with the entire team and, as is typical for Audi, are again entering the race with a number of innovations this year. On the test day a week ago, we didn’t learn a lot yet about how the relative strengths pan out this year. The first two WEC races haven’t been representative either. We’re eager to see how the race week will develop and whether the type of battle will be possible that the audience and we all greatly wish to see – a balanced competition for overall victory. We’ve done everything we could on our part to make this happen.”

Ralf Jüttner, Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest: “We’re very much hoping to see a classic race at Le Mans this year that won’t make things too easy for anybody. Maybe we’ll get an idea of absolute lap times in qualifying. But we’ll probably only be able to tell during the course of the race what effects the most recent changes in the regulations will have. Only then will we be able to finalize our strategy. I’m expecting an intense battle.”

Facts and quotes by the Audi drivers

Marcel Fässler (37/CH), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-In 2011, was the first Swiss to win the Le Mans 24 Hours
-Most recently won at Spa with André Lotterer and Benoît Tréluyer
“I look forward to Le Mans every year because it’s a fantastic challenge. We’ve got strong rivals, but we’re very motivated and have got a good car in the Audi R18 e-tron quattro. We know what the entire team is capable of achieving and will go all out in order to win.”

André Lotterer (31/D), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-Has clinched two victories at Le Mans in four runs so far
-Is leading the World Championship with his two team-mates
“I’m traveling to Le Mans with a good feeling. The two victories in recent years are great and give us self-confidence, and of course we’re competing to win. But we should simply ignore these two wins and concentrate on this year. Finishing – hopefully without any problems – has to be our first objective. Then we’ll see what the outcome will be because at Le Mans anything can happen.”

Benoît Tréluyer (36/F), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-The winner of the past two years is experiencing his home race at Le Mans
-This year, has won the Sebring 12 Hours and the Spa 6 Hours
“Finally, we’re returning to Le Mans and I can run on this track in the Audi R18 e-tron quattro again. After Spa, I drove the car once more on the test day at Le Mans. That was good practice. A home round is always something very special. Many fans and friends will come to the event to support me. That’s a nice feeling.”

Loïc Duval (31/F), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-Drove the fastest race lap last year and set the absolute best time in 2010
-Achieved the fastest time at Le Mans a week ago on the test day
“Le Mans is an amazing event. For me, it’s almost a home around because I’m from Chartres. For a year, I’ve been waiting to return to La Sarthe. At that time, things weren’t going as well for us as they should have. Now I’m hoping for a particularly good result and can hardly wait for the race week to finally start.”

Tom Kristensen (45/DK), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-As an eight-time winner, is holding the record at Le Mans
-Won the opening event at Silverstone with his team-mates
“There’s no other race you’ve got to prepare for in such detail. We haven’t been on this track for a year, that’s why the test day last Sunday was so valuable. Audi has continually improved the R18 e-tron quattro and taken care of a lot of details. The battle this year will again be very close and tough. Top performance is equally important as consistency. And on a personal note, Allan McNish and I’ll be driving without Dindo Capello as our team-mate for the first time in seven years at Le Mans. Our new colleague Loïc Duval is quick and loaded with motivation. The three of us have established excellent rapport.”

Allan McNish (43/GB), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-Has won the Le Mans 24 Hours twice before
-Is only trailing the leaders of the WEC standings by one point
“Le Mans with its unique character is like a world soccer championship in a way. You absolutely want to win the biggest race of the year, but even if you’re on podium in second or third place it’s a great feeling. I’ve been on podium there eight times before, and twice as a winner. This year, I’d like to mount the very top again. You can never afford to rest at this race. Emotionally, the 24 Hours cost me more energy than the physical strength you’ve got to exert as a race driver.”

Marc Gené (39/E), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #3 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-Won the classic race at Le Mans in 2009
-Is running with two new Audi team-mates this year
“We’re working for a whole year toward this one race. We’re well prepared, as we’ve previously shown at Silverstone and Spa. I’m expecting us to be in contention for victory. I’m running at Le Mans for the seventh time and have never had as good a feeling before the race as this year.”

Lucas di Grassi (28/BR), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #3 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-Is the only Audi driver who has never run at Le Mans before
-Achieved second place at the Sebring 12 Hours with Audi
“My first race at Le Mans will be a great experience at which I’ll be learning a lot. In our team, we’ve got legends like Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish. It’s a privilege to belong to such a squad. Finishing the race, learning and being as good as possible – these are my aims.”

Oliver Jarvis (29/GB), Audi R18 e-tron quattro #3 (Audi Sport Team Joest)
-Won the GT class at Daytona 24 Hours with Audi
-Celebrated his first sports car victory at the Sebring 12 Hours
“After third place last year, I’d obviously like to move up on the podium. But first, you’ve got to finish on podium to begin with. Anything’s possible at what is arguably the world’s toughest race. I believe in our competitiveness – in the battle with our team colleagues, as well as with Toyota.”

Audi Sport press release

Rob
17th June 2013, 17:49
ASTON MARTIN TARGETS LE MANS SUCCESS WITH FIVE-CAR ENTRY

Le Mans, 17 June 2013 - Aston Martin Racing prepares for its most ambitious assault on the 24 Hour of Le Mans as it takes five Vantage GTEs – the team’s largest entry to date – to the world-famous endurance race this weekend (22-23 June).

The 2013 event is set to live long in the memories of racing fans as Aston Martin celebrates its centenary and the 24-hour event marks its 90th anniversary.

The team returns to the Circuit de le Sarthe in a strong position as it leads the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) in both the Pro and the Am GTE classes following the first two rounds. Furthermore, at the official Le Mans test day (9 June) it topped the timesheets with the #97 Pro car and the #96 Am car both showing class-leading pace.

“Yes, we were the fastest in the test session, but winning a race like the 24 Hours of Le Mans takes more than speed,” comments Aston Martin Racing Team Principal, John Gaw. “Saying that, we’ve also shown great reliability – throughout both the Six Hours of Silverstone, at which we won in both classes, and the Six Hours of Spa where we had no significant issues with any of our Vantage GTEs.

“Running five cars smoothly for 24 hours, however, is going to be a huge challenge. We are very well prepared, thanks to our hard-working team, and we are incredibly focused but we know that there is fierce competition in both GTE classes. Our ambition is to be on that podium in both classes; our desire is to be on the top step – that would be the most fitting way to celebrate Aston Martin’s centenary year.”

Alongside the prestigious endurance race, Aston Martin will continue its centenary celebrations with a host of activities on and off the track. The weekend kicks off at 10:55 hrs on Saturday 22 June, when an exclusive selection of modern and historic Aston Martin sports cars take part in an exclusive Centenary Festival Parade led by Aston Martin’s latest concept car, the CC100, which will be driven by the British company’s CEO Dr Ulrich Bez.

Created as a stunning celebration of the great British brand’s 100 years of sports car excellence the one-off CC100 looks both to the past and the DBR1 – Aston Martin’s greatest sporting triumph on the track – and to the future with its teasing glimpses of potential future design direction.

In addition, Aston Martin Racing’s partner Gulf will be unveiling the winning design for its livery competition. To mark Aston Martin’s centenary, the global oil brand invited fans to design the Le Mans livery for the #97 Vantage GTE. Drivers Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Peter Dumbreck (GB) chose their favourite design, which will be unveiled at scrutineering today (Monday 17 June) and will adorn the #97 car throughout race week.

David Richards Aston Martin Chairman, said: “The 24 Hours of Le Mans is, without doubt, the greatest sports car race in the world and this will be the ninth consecutive year that we’ve taken part. However, our centenary year is rather special and if we were to win on this occasion it would be the perfect way to cap a year of celebrations.”

Aston Martin Racing’s five-car campaign – its most ambitious entry to date in the endurance classic – comprises three entries in the GTE Pro class and two in the GTE Am class. Each car has a three-strong driver line-up with Jonny Adam (GB) and Richie Stanaway (NZ) acting as reserve drivers for the team for the 24-hour race, ready to step into any car should they be required.

GTE Pro cars:
#97 Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Peter Dumbreck (GB)
#98 Pedro Lamy (PT), Paul Dalla Lana (CN) and Bill Auberlen (USA)
#99 Bruno Senna (BR), Fred Makowiecki (FR) and Rob Bell (GB)

GTE Am cars:
#95 Allan Simonsen (DN), Kristian Poulsen (DN) and Christoffer Nygaard (DN)
#96 Jamie Campbell-Walter (GB), Stuart Hall (GB) and Roald Goethe (D)

The 90th Edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans starts on 22 June at 15:00 hrs CET. Follow the team’s progress at www.astonmartin.com/racing on Facebook www.facebook.com/astonmartinracing and on Twitter using @AMR_Official

- ENDS -

Rob
17th June 2013, 17:55
http://i39.tinypic.com/dbt6x4.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/axgt1h.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/4qo6c9.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/fmt9uq.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2vc9anm.png

Tifoso
17th June 2013, 18:08
Is this on SPEED?

Rob
17th June 2013, 18:10
Is this on SPEED?

i think it is yes amico mio. I will check to make 120% sure.:thumb

Rob
17th June 2013, 18:17
OLIVIER BERETTA: "I AM CONFIDENT FOR THE RACE! "
The Monegasque driver will approach its 18th Le Mans 24 Hours and like last year it will be behind the wheel of a Ferrari F458 Italia AF Corse in GTE Pro.
http://i44.tinypic.com/amaa6x.jpg
How were your laps during testing trials Sunday, June 9?

Olivier Beretta: Like everyone, it rained so unfortunately we have not been able to do all the program you want! But overall we did a good job! But now we do not know who has what at the Balance of Performance and especially that showed and showed no know! , We can not go beyond what we've shown! They have taken us 5 liters, we have a small spoiler. It is difficult for the organizer who is trying to do its best and its best! I put myself in their place, I will not be able to do it, I will not be where to start! But when you see the grid fins of Aston Martin, Corvettes and those of Ferrari, we see immediately that this is not the same category! They have a wide car, they have more spoiler and go as fast as we straight! I'm not an engineer, of course, but it is obvious. It is difficult for the organizers to find a balance as close as possible! The only thing I hope is that we will have a race where the cars are relatively very close and we attend a great race!

What about the race? You remain confident because the Ferrari F458 has a good frame!

I'm very confident of course! We have a great frame, I would say it is one of the best chassis I've never driven but there are straight lines too!

How does your agreement with Kamui Kobayashi?

This is going very well. He learns quickly and is a very professional!

Rob
17th June 2013, 18:20
THE AF CORSE FERRARI ARMADA LANDED IN WEIGHING!
The AF Corse armada has just made its appearance Republic Square with its five Ferrari 458 Italia to pass regulatory audits.
http://i43.tinypic.com/fk4l6e.jpg
Itlaienne the brand will face tough competition with the Corvette, Aston Martin, Porsche and Viper now. To meet this challenge, the team will run two models GTE Pro with three former Formula 1 driver Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni (a GT victory in 2008), Olivier Beretta (6 wins in GT) and the last little while straight out of Formula 1, Kamui Kobayashi.

51: Gianmaria Bruni, Giancarlo FISICHELLA, Matteo Malucelli

No. 71: Olivier BERETTA, Kamui Kobayashi, Toni Vilander

In GTE Am, the team will enter three Ferrari 458 Italia (2012 model as required by the regulations)

54: Yannick MALLEGOL, Jean-Marc Bachelier, Howard BLANK

55: Piergiuseppe Perazzini, Lorenzo CASE, DARRYL O'YOUNG

No. 61: Jack Gerber, Matthew Griffin, Marco Cioci

The objectives are clearly displayed: retain the title in the GTE Pro and GTE Am class win!

Tifoso
17th June 2013, 19:50
i think it is yes amico mio. I will check to make 120% sure.:thumb

Thanks mate! :cheers

Nova
18th June 2013, 03:22
I remember them saying they are going to broadcast something like 12 or more hours live. I dont watch Speed much anymore, they show quite a bit of non racing reality shows, so not much need to tune in. Real racing is reality enough for me...
I'll check out their schedule n post it.

Here ya go...Its all I could find on their site..
TELEVISION: SPEED: Saturday 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET; 4-7 p.m. ET; 7:30 p.m.-9:30 a.m. ET
STREAMING: SPEED.com: Saturday 2-4 p.m. ET; 7-7:30 p.m. ET; Plus Live! In-Car cameras

Nova
18th June 2013, 03:25
Dont the Astons run 12 cyl engines? They sure posted some fast times. The Vipers are new, so they may have teething problems...If the Astons fall out, Vettes will def be there..they are pretty strong. But so are we..Go Ferrari!!!!!
Thx for the cool 512 vids. Cool.

Rob
18th June 2013, 16:23
Dont the Astons run 12 cyl engines? They sure posted some fast times. The Vipers are new, so they may have teething problems...If the Astons fall out, Vettes will def be there..they are pretty strong. But so are we..Go Ferrari!!!!!
Thx for the cool 512 vids. Cool.

The Astons are V8s, but sound very very nice. Vipers i cannt see getting to the end, like them too as i do like them(just as few parts are from Maranello)

Yes the 512 vids cracking, lovely car.

Rob
18th June 2013, 16:28
ASTON MARTIN RACING UNVEILS WINNING LE MANS GULF LIVERY
http://i40.tinypic.com/2m2xcf8.jpg
Le Mans, 18 June 2013 - Aston Martin Racing and Gulf have unveiled the winner of their livery design competition.

The design, inspired by the change in atmosphere as day gives way to night during the 24 Hours of Le Mans, was created by Jonathan Wesley from Kettering in the UK and will adorn the #97 Vantage GTE throughout race week.

Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Peter Dumbreck (GB), drivers of the #97 Vantage GTE, selected Jonathan’s design from the hundreds of entries received. He will now attend the race weekend as a VIP guest of Gulf to see his winning design compete in the 90th 24 Hours of Le Mans.

"I have been excited ever since I got the news that my design had been chosen,” comments Jonathan. “I loved the chance of being able to design a Gulf Aston Martin, but it's already such a classic livery that I was wondering what I could do.

“I was just sketching a few thoughts out and I liked the idea of the car being a different colour on both sides. I thought about the Gulf corporate colours – dark blue, light blue, orange and white – and I came up with the idea of ‘daylight to dusk’, which to me is the most exciting part of the race.

“So it moves from the white with the broad orange stripe dividing things to the dark blue of the night. The orange and blue lines represent the streaks that you often see in photos of the cars at night and the whole design sort of summed up the essence of Le Mans to me."

Gulf, which has partnered Aston Martin Racing for five years and has signed a further three-year deal, ran the livery competition to allow fans to participate in the team’s most ambitious Le Mans campaign, marking the centenary year of Aston Martin.

Sam Cork, Global Brand Manager at Gulf explained: “Gulf has been responsible for some extremely iconic motorsport liveries and we wanted to give fans the opportunity to play their part. To design the livery for a Gulf Aston Martin, racing at Le Mans in the brand’s centenary year, is really something quite special.

“This livery will enter Gulf and Aston Martin Racing’s history books and Jonathan should be extremely proud to be the winner, as we had hundreds of entries from all over the world. The design is excellent. It is everything we hoped for. We can’t wait to see it take to the track for the most exciting endurance race of the year.”

The #97 car is one of five Aston Martin Racing Vantage GTEs competing in the 24-hour race, but the only one to carry the competition-winning design. The car will first be seen on the Circuit de la Sarthe at the first free practice session on Wednesday 19 June at 16:00 hrs.

Follow the team’s progress on the website www.astonmartin.com/racing, on Facebook www.facebook.com and on Twitter using @AMR_Official

- ENDS -

Rob
18th June 2013, 16:35
http://i39.tinypic.com/ei3zpw.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2zsv337.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/jz8txz.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2mcsyv9.jpg

Rob
18th June 2013, 16:43
SECRETS OF THE HYBRID SYSTEM TOYOTA TS030
A few days of great duel Audi-Toyota, we begin to learn a little more about the forces. Here Toyota unveils its hybrid system that will power this year, two prototypes.

http://youtu.be/HM26Aet0MKo
Since its introduction in 2012, the Toyota TS030 Hybrid never ceases to evolve. Like its German rival, the Japanese firm has chosen a hybrid system to equip its cars competing in endurance. But the similarities end there.

The powertrain consists of a 530hp V8, 3.4 liter petrol engine motor air associated with a hybrid with 300 hp. Braking, in the recovery zones, the energy is stored in the system which converts it into electricity by the generator-motor unit, located between the engine and the gearbox, in the gearbox housing.

This power is transmitted via an inverter in a storage device in the cab next to the driver. So when it accelerates, the hybrid system automatically delivers for about three seconds, the additional energy. Therefore the driver has additional than the gasoline engine and transmits power to the rear wheels.

There can be no doubt that the Toyota engineers have all thought. Whether the engine, aerodynamics or the control system, it seems that the TS030 Hybrid brings with it significant assets on the eve of playing the long-awaited duel.

Find out in this video, Yoshiaki Kinoshita, president of Toyota and Hisatake Murat, Head of Hybrid project. Commentary in English

Rob
18th June 2013, 18:03
24 HOURS OF LE MANS DRIVERS IN STATISTICS

The largest number of wins by nationality : 32 English 42 wins. Contrary to what one might think, it is not the French who come to mind, but the English, a cult in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and are still very many around the circuit, sometimes driving cars improbable, and in the stands. Paradoxically, only Derek Bell has more than three victories at Le Mans. Note that the traffic are just a win less and therefore, if Benoit Treluyer added a third consecutive win to his record, the "froggies" catch up with the subjects of his majesty!

The greatest number of consecutive wins : 6 Tom "Mr. Le Mans" Kristensen (! 12 podiums still, another record), as would be in doubt. However, it does not hold the record for the most number of consecutive podiums: he is his former teammate Audi, Emanuele Pirro, with a total of 9, while the star is in Danish only 7 . The winning trio from last year could continue its momentum with three podiums in a row so far.

The highest number of pole positions : 5 Jacky Ickx, who held the record for victories at Le Mans before Tom Kristensen dethrones. Surprisingly, only nine drivers have won more than one pole position in the history of Le Mans double clock tower. Surprisingly, too, is Rinaldo "Dindo" Capello (10 podiums and three wins) and not his former teammates Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish, one pole each, who signed three poles. Finally, one pilot was hoisted on the first line in his first participation: William David in 1995.

The largest number of fastest laps : 5 Jacky Icks again and only 13 drivers have several fastest laps. Among the drivers who will participate in the 90th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Tom Kristensen (3), Allan McNish and Loïc Duval (2) are shown.

Rob
18th June 2013, 18:22
Just afew pictures from past couple days...
http://i41.tinypic.com/9kx91e.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/dcron9.jpg

Rob
18th June 2013, 18:25
http://i44.tinypic.com/msm7nb.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2yjv7u0.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/10h8v1l.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ntxsb8.jpg

Rob
18th June 2013, 18:29
http://i40.tinypic.com/33ucyza.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/5fq3yv.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/8xn4tf.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/30di0w4.jpg
Leena :love
http://i41.tinypic.com/15ov0wx.jpg

Rob
18th June 2013, 18:30
http://i41.tinypic.com/1y778j.jpg

Rob
19th June 2013, 17:07
ASTON MARTIN: MEET THE TEAM AT LE MANS

Event: The Aston Martin 24 Hours of Le Mans ‘Meet the Team’ Media Event
Date: Thursday 20 June 2013
Time: 1530hrs

Aston Martin is inviting all media pass holders at the 90th 24 Hours of Le Mans to meet its drivers and key personnel at 1530hrs on Thursday 20 June in the Aston Martin Racing paddock hospitality unit.

Aston Martin Chairman David Richards, Aston Martin Racing Team Principal John Gaw and Chief GT Engineer Dan Sayers will be present, alongside all 15 Aston Martin Racing drivers:

#99 Bruno Senna (BR), Fred Makowiecki (FR) and Rob Bell (GB)
#98 Pedro Lamy (PT), Paul Dalla Lana (CN) and Bill Auberlen (USA)

#97 Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Peter Dumbreck (GB)

#96 Jamie Campbell-Walter (GB), Stuart Hall (GB) and Roald Goethe (D)
#95 Allan Simonsen (DN), Kristian Poulsen (DN) and Christoffer Nygaard (DN)

Rob
20th June 2013, 16:56
ASTON MARTIN LE MANS FASTEST IN FIRST QUALIFYING SESSION

Le Mans, 20 June 2013 - Aston Martin Racing topped both the timing tables in the first qualifying session of the 24 Hours of Le Mans last night. The # 99 GTE Vantage, driven by Frenchman Frederic Makowiecki, put in a 3:55.658 to go fastest overall and, in the GTE Am class, the # 95 was the quickest of the nighttime session.

Despite the extra ballast Given to all five of the Vantage Gtes Following solid performances in the official Le Mans test session 10 days ago, each of the cars pushed hard to record fast times.

With little under an hour remaining, the session was red-flagged two to an irreparable damage to barrier Caused by an incident.

Aston Martin Racing Team Principal John Gaw comments: "The team finally got out on track for the first running of a busy week and going fastest in both GT classes is certainly a good way to start our Le Mans campaign. The four-hour practice session earlier in the day allowed us to get the cars well prepared and our drivers put in some solid laps in the qualifying session despite the disruptions Caused by red flags and the mixed conditions on track. The plan is to keep pushing and get the best possible results for all of our qualifying cars as well as setting them up to make them easy to drive in the race. "

The five Aston Martin Vantage Gtes will next head out onto the track at 1900hrs today for the second qualifying session of the week.

GTE Pro cars:

# 97 Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Peter Dumbreck (GB)

# 98 Pedro Lamy (PT), Paul Dalla Lana (CN) and Bill Auberlen (USA)

# 99 Bruno Senna (BR) , Fred Makowiecki (FR) and Rob Bell (GB)

GTE Am cars:

# 95 Allan Simonsen (DN), Kristian Poulsen (DN) and Christoffer Nygaard (DN)

# 96 Jamie Campbell-Walter (GB), Stuart Hall (GB) and Roald Goethe (D)

The 90th Edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans starts on June 22 at 15:00 hrs CET. Follow the team's progress at www.astonmartin.com / racing on Facebook www.facebook.com / astonmartinracing and on Twitter using @ AMR_Official

- ENDS -

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:01
Was a big crash for Tracy last night. Strange sessions as 2 red flags...

NEW KROHN RACING
The Ferrari crashed car can not be repaired, but ...
Crashed yesterday, the Krohn Racing Ferrari can not be repaired for the race ... But the U.S. team did not give up the 24 Hours of Le Mans!
http://i43.tinypic.com/ly800.jpg
Last night, Tracy Krohn suffered a spectacular crash in the downhill leading to the "S" of the Forest. If the American got away unscathed, his green Ferrari can not be repaired for the race. One solution: find another car and get a special dispensation to sell. This is the goal that is set Krohn Racing mechanics, which are in possession of a Ferrari 458 Italia shipped in emergency Mans by team Team Black. This car is usually initiated by International GT Open with the number 27.

Krohn Racing mechanics are busy right now to put in ACO configuration, after which they will seek the gratitude of scrutineers. The changes to be made concern including air intake flanges, headlights (yellow in Le Mans GTE), the bucket seat. Also, the doors must be drilled to accommodate the lights indicating the position of the cars in the top three in the category. The American team hopes to be able to send the car running tonight, Niclas Jönsson and Maurizio Mediani to perform five rounds of mandatory testing night.

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:02
Just started quali, it raining, well just stopped but really really wet.

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:03
Karun Chandhok and Murphy Prototypes after qualifying at the La Sarthe
Chandhok's team Murphy Prototypes set a time of 3:44.538 to provisionally qualify in 17th place overall, and 9th in their category

June 20, 2013, Le Mans, France: Indian racing driver Karun Chandhok and his team Murphy Prototypes finished the first day of practice and qualifying at the La Sarthe circuit in the build up to the Le Mans 24 hours. Chandhok's team Murphy Prototypes set a time of 3:44.538 to provisionally qualify in 17th place overall, and 9th in their category. The trio of Brendon Hartley, Mark Patterson and Karun Chandhok will drive the iconic Le Mans 24 hours race in the LMP2 Nissan V8-powered Oreca 03 with Murphy Prototypes. The opening qualifying session finished early due to barrier damage at the second Mulsanne chicane, cutting short the session by 55 minutes.
In the first practice session, which was held in the evening, the team were placed in 23rd position with Mark Patterson behind the wheel. The morning was full of of rain and hail storms which meant there was lack of grip in the first practice session. Patterson did the complete practice session before Chandhok took over for the first qualifying practice session. Chandhok focused on setting up the car for the race and did a fastest time of 3:44:538.

#48 Murphy Prototypes Oreca 03-Nissan: Mark Patterson, Karun Chandhok, Brendon Hartley
Photo by: Eric Gilbert
Chandhok, who is supported by JK Tyre and Tag Heuer, was happy with the session but was clear that there was a lot more work to do. He commented, "It was OK, there wasn’t really time for quali laps as we were still on reasonably used tyres. We were still doing race set-up because of the red flags, so we didn’t have time to do anything, neither Brendon nor I did any laps in the daylight. Unfortunately for him, he didn’t do any in the night either because of the red flag. It was pretty crazy how much time we lost, so we just focused on race set-up. We’re not bad, but we’ve got work to do and we’ll do what we have to do.”
Brendon Hartley did not get much running but was optimistic of a good weekend ahead. He said, “I was planning to do the last 45 minutes this evening and get some laps in, but another red flag and they cancelled the session. I think we’re in good shape though, Karun was in P9 and we weren’t really pushing for quali laps at that point, but I’m sure others have a similar story. We’re feeling reasonably confident, I’m not too worried that I haven’t done any laps yet in the dry, I’ve driven this car enough times and I know the circuit, so I hope to be on it straight away.”
Team Principla Greg Murphy felt the LMP2 category will be one of the most closely contested this weekend with nothing to choose from. He commented, “It’s going to be a scrap in LMP2, there are so many teams here that can win this race but we’re here to fight, we’re here to win. So we’ll see. We typically don’t go all out for Qualifying, especially in the toughest 24 hour race in the world, but we’ll to get ourselves into a reasonable position, it won’t be a banzai, but yeah we’d like to move up the grid a bit.”

Karun Chandhok

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:04
seeing the #57 458 in the garage, man those guys have one great job. Looking good.

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:15
Really surprised at the Vettes lack of speed, seem really along way off the pace. But it 24 hour race so out right speed isnt to important, but helps. :-??

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:18
http://i44.tinypic.com/nqlhy.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/k51gyt.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2m6s3th.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2znpz0y.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/357fvkg.jpg

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:25
http://i44.tinypic.com/qn8jsh.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/sb6k3c.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/4lkpk5.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/i3xh8h.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2mo12jr.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2zi5w88.jpg

Rob
20th June 2013, 17:27
http://i39.tinypic.com/29lcwns.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/33cb580.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/iwoe1f.jpg

Rob
20th June 2013, 18:01
Audi R18 #1 ‏@AudiR18_1 3m
Track conditions improving and drying. Partial sun now

Rob
20th June 2013, 18:25
another red flag, crash, barrier repairs again.

Rob
20th June 2013, 18:31
Session will not restart.

Audi R18 #1 ‏@AudiR18_1 48s
The final Quali session will take place in 90 minutes at 10pm local. It will last 2 hours. Final grid order will be determined.

Rob
20th June 2013, 20:07
Lemansrace.com ‏@Lemansrace 45s
LMP1s still lapping 20 seconds slower than last night in the dry.

Rob
20th June 2013, 20:10
Audi R18 #2 ‏@AudiR18_2 2m
Darkness starting to set in, circut is still wet from 1st Chic.to Indy. 2 hours left. times still 25-30 seconds off last night pace

Rob
20th June 2013, 20:14
FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 14s
1h45m still to go in this session and session times are dropping, but still well off last night's times.

Nova
21st June 2013, 12:52
Porsche is in there now too..going to be a really great battle in the GT classes. 458's Porsche Viper Corvette Aston...
This is a race Id go to. Was glad Krone got a 458 put back together, hope it passes scrut.... They will be starting last I think. Going to be one tough race. And where do these Astons get that speed?

Rob
21st June 2013, 16:56
For Immediate Release: Friday, 21st June 2013

Strakka’s 24-hour rebuild ensures Le Mans 24 Hours start

Strakka Racing has completely rebuilt its Honda Performance Development ARX-03c overnight after a heavy crash in qualifying for the Le Mans 24 Hour race – ensuring the only all-British driver line-up of Nick Leventis (London), Danny Watts (Buckingham) and Jonny Kane (Thame) can start the 90th anniversary race tomorrow at 15.00 (CET).

Jonny hit a patch of damp Tarmac under braking for the second chicane on the Mulsanne Straight, which spun the Relentless Energy Drink supported LMP1 car into the crash barriers.

Jonny was uninjured, but the impact destroyed Strakka Racing’s only spare front bodywork panel and engine cover, and leaves the Silverstone-based team with just one spare rear assembly.

However, the team won LMP2 and finished 5th overall in 2010 without sustaining any bodywork damage – and with a competitive car set-up for the race, Strakka Racing is hopeful that it has now exhausted all of its bad luck before this year’s race starts.

It’s been a tough build-up to this year’s 24 Hours, with electrical issues, a lack of dry running and each practice and qualifying session shortened by Red Flags. Even Strakka’s tyre buggy was stolen!

Having qualified 8th, Strakka Racing is one of several teams to receive a grid penalty for qualifying outside the 110% rule – in Strakka’s case, because of its reduced pace owing to its electrical issues. Danny will therefore take the rolling start from the outside of row 18 – 36th on the grid.

But a fantastic team spirit remains, and such troubles are merely part of the challenge of contesting what, to many, is the world’s greatest motor race.

Nick Leventis: “All three drivers have qualified and we believe we have a pretty good car for the race. We’ve been a bit unfortunate with electrical problems and a big impact with a crash barrier, so we haven’t had a chance to show our true pace yet. Qualifying at night for me was tough, because we had major electrical internal current issues. Although I had main headlights, that was about it. I didn’t have any traction-control combined with clutch issues and no dashboard display at all, so it was quite a new and interesting experience for me! But qualifying at Le Mans is always a bit of a bonus – the main objective isn’t to start as high up the grid as we can on Saturday, it’s about being in a strong position at the end of the race on Sunday afternoon. While the build-up has been frustrating, we’re in pretty good shape and we’re confident we can have a good race.”

Danny Watts: “It’s been a hard couple of days for us, what with the changeable weather and electronic problems with the car. We wanted to get a lot of track mileage in to learn a bit more about the car at this track and really dial it in for the race. But because of the poor weather we couldn’t do too much running and then we had a fairly big accident that has destroyed a lot of our spares. We weren’t even going for a fast qualifying time when the accident happened, it was all about getting the car comfortable for the race. The build-up hasn’t gone well, but that makes us all the more determined to have a strong race.”

Jonny Kane: “As soon as I braked for the second chicane on Mulsanne, both right hand wheels locked up on a damp patch and the car turned left so quickly that I couldn’t catch it. It was a pretty hard impact with the barriers and there was a lot of damage. I’m just massively disappointed for the team. We’ve had two hard days at Le Mans, the boys had already been working extremely hard and this was the last thing we needed. With the weather against us in every test and practice session we’ve done this year, it’s certainly not the run up to my tenth Le Mans that I was hoping for. But hopefully all our bad luck is out of the way now and we can have a trouble-free run for the rest of the weekend.”

Dan Walmsley, Strakka Racing Team Manager: “It’s been a challenging build up to this year’s race – everything from electrical problems, a lack of dry running, a major crash and even our pit buggy been stolen! The final qualifying session was all about Jonny doing his mandatory few laps to get the car into the race, which he duly did. We’d identified a small area of the car that we thought we could improve for the race and we had just gone out to evaluate the change on that, towards the end of Qualifying 3, when Jonny lost control of the car at the second chicane. There was a lot of damage, and the guys worked through the night to repair it. Our supply of spare parts has been somewhat depleted, but we’ve still got the team Glitter Ball in the pit garage and while that’s still turning, we’re still racing!”

This year’s Le Mans 24 Hours will be shown in 189 different countries and to a potential TV audience of just over 672 million viewers. British fans can watch the race live on Eurosport, and on the internet with live-streaming on lemans-tv.com, www.24h-lemans.com and www.fiawec.com.

Rob
21st June 2013, 16:58
DOUBLE POLE FOR ASTON MARTIN AT LE MANS

Le Mans, 21 June 2013 - Aston Martin Racing has qualified on pole for the 90th 24 Hours of Le Mans with its #99 Vantage GTE, as well as securing pole position in the GTE Am class with the #95 car to continue the team’s 100 per cent pole success rate in the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) season.

The fastest GTE lap time of the three qualifying sessions – 3:54.635 – was set by Frédéric Makowiecki (FR) in the final moments of the third qualifying session, following a close battle with team-mate Stefan Mücke in the #97 machine who took second position. The #99 Vantage GTE, which the Frenchman will compete in for this race with Bruno Senna (BR) and Rob Bell (GB), will start from the front of the grid of 26 GT cars for the legendary 24-hour endurance race.

In the GTE Am class, Allan Simonsen (DN) put the #95 car at the top of the timesheets at the start of qualifying one, a position that the car held right until the end of session three when Simonsen bettered his time to a 3:57.776.

The #96 Vantage GTE Am car driven by Jamie Campbell-Walter clinched third place when the British driver put in a lap of 3:59.805 towards the end of the session.

The #98 Pro car will start from strong position of fifth overall on the grid. Pedro Lamy (PT) set the time in the first qualifying session and thereafter the team focused on maximising driver time in the fragmented sessions.

Aston Martin Racing Team Principal John Gaw comments: “We came here with the aim of qualifying on pole in both classes, so we are pleased to have started off our 24 Hours of Le Mans campaign so positively. The qualifying sessions were a little frustrating because of the rain and red flags meaning little changed position-wise until the final 15 minutes. We did well to firmly secure both pole positions in the dying minutes.

“We all know, however, that in a 24-hour race, starting positions aren’t too important. We need to ensure we continue the reliability that we demonstrated at Silverstone and Spa to get all our cars to the end of the race safely and without issues.”

Makowiecki comments: “It’s a nice feeling because I waited a long time to work with Aston Martin Racing. For me it’s a great pleasure to get a good result for the team. It’s the first step towards winning the race this weekend.”

Simonsen adds: “It was tricky at the start with the changing conditions and it was a typical Le Mans last lap dash. To start the 24 Hours of Le Mans on pole is fantastic. We’re all looking forward to the race."

Qualifying positions:

GTE Pro
1st - Bruno Senna (BR), Fred Makowiecki (FR) and Rob Bell (GB) #99
2nd - Darren Turner (GB), Stefan Mücke (D) and Peter Dumbreck (GB) #97
5th - Pedro Lamy (PT), Paul Dalla Lana (CN) and Bill Auberlen (USA) #98

GTE Am
1st - Allan Simonsen (DN), Kristian Poulsen (DN) and Christoffer Nygaard (DN) #95
3rd - Jamie Campbell-Walter (GB), Stuart Hall (GB) and Roald Goethe (D) #96

The 90th Edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans starts on 22 June at 15:00 hrs CET. Follow the team’s progress at www.astonmartin.com/racing on Facebook www.facebook.com/astonmartinracing and on Twitter using @AMR_Official.

- ENDS -

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:02
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zzta4g.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2rw11dy.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/903xgm.jpg

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:04
http://i44.tinypic.com/2mzz67o.jpg

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:06
FRUSTRATIONS AT LE MANS HAMPER QUALIFYING PERFORMANCE FOR GAVIN AND CORVETTE

It has been a frustrating couple of days so far for Oliver Gavin and the Corvette Racing team at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France. The considerable experience within the team has been put to the test as the team has struggled to match the pace of the front-running LMGTE Pro Aston Martins, Ferraris and Porsches.

Olly managed to improve his fastest lap time today, but his best of 3:58.644 in the No.4 Corvette C6R placed him 7th in class – a long way from the pole positions of the past.
Both Corvettes have been struggling to determine the root of a handling problem which has hampered their progress, and the constant interruptions for both red flags and rain showers over the three qualifying sessions haven’t helped.

Olly said tonight: “We’ve never been in this kind of situation before and it makes it really hard for everyone. If you’re at the front and you’ve got a relatively sorted car then it’s not as critical to have that track time but we needed every minute there was available to help us get through our programme of planned changes.

“The fragmentation of the sessions has been frustrating but we’re not making excuses. This is the package we’ve come with but it’s not worked out for us so we’ve just got to work harder. Part of the problem has been that we haven’t run with this particular Michelin tyre before, while our competitors have (at the WEC 6 Hours of Spa Francorchamps) and we’re still learning about how to get the best out of it with our car.

“We’re catching up and we’ll spend lots of time tomorrow analysing all the data and seeing where we are. We’ve improved since yesterday and we are confident we’ll have a comfortable car for the race but it’s not been working out for us up until now!”

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:13
Porsche (Pro and Am)

LMGTE Pro
3rd - Romain Dumas/Marc Lieb/Richard Lietz (F/D/A), Porsche 911 RSR #92
7th - Joerg Bergmeister/Timo Bernhard/Patrick Pilet (D/D/F), Porsche 911 RSR #91

LMGTE Am
2nd - Christan Ried/Gianluca Roda/Paolo Ruberti (D/I/I), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR #88
5th - Wolf Henzler/Pascal Gibon/Patrice Milesi (D/F/F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR #67

6th - Emmanuel Collard/Francois Perrod/Sebastien Crubile (F/F/F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR #75
7th - Patrick Dempsey/Pat Long/Joe Foster (USA/USA/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR #77
8th - Raymond Narac/Christophe Bourret/Jean-Karl Vernay (F/F/F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR #76

At its first Le Mans 24 Hours outing, the best Porsche 911 RSR takes up the race on Saturday from the second grid row in the GTE-Pro class. In qualifying for the long distance classic in France, which was held for the first time 90 years ago, Porsche works drivers Romain Dumas (France), Marc Lieb (Germany) and Richard Lietz (Austria) improved their time in the last lap and planted the #92 Porsche 911 RSR on third place. Their factory pilot colleagues Joerg Bergmeister (Germany), Timo Bernhard (Germany) and Patrick Pilet (France) concluded the qualifying in seventh at the wheel of the number 91 vehicle. Both 911 RSR are fielded by Porsche AG Team Manthey.

As the best Porsche in the GTE-Am class, the 911 GT3 RSR of the Proton Competition team in which Christian Ried (Germany) shares driving duties with his Italian teammates Gianluca Roda and Paolo Ruberti, achieved the second quickest time. The 911 fielded by IMSA Performance Matmut with Porsche works driver Wolf Henzler (Germany) as well as Frenchmen Pascal Gibon and Patrice Milesi set the fifth quickest time. At his first Le Mans start with Porsche, Hollywood star Patrick Dempsey (“Grey’s Anatomy”) starts from seventh on the grid with support from Porsche works driver Patrick Long and Joe Foster (all USA).

Wolfgang Hatz, Board Member for Research and Development at Porsche AG: “We are quite pleased with this result. Our aim was to beat Ferrari and we have achieved this. We’re only five-hundredths of a second shy of the first grid row which gives us hope for the race.”

Hartmut Kristen, Porsche Head of Motorsport: “The changing weather conditions and many interruptions made for a pretty exciting qualifying. You could actually forget about a normal programme. Marc’s improvement to third place in the final lap has shown how important it was to push to the end today.”

Joerg Bergmeister (# 91): “My qualifying was quite messed up. I went out on the first set of tyres but got held up by slower cars and had to reduce speed because the yellow flags came out. The same happened with my second set – first traffic, then yellow-flagged. In my third fast lap I went all out and was a bit late on the brakes in the first corner. That was the end of my qualifying. But Marc’s time underlined what would have been possible. This makes me confident for the race.”

Patrick Pilet (# 91): “Our chances look good for the race. For me as a Frenchman Le Mans is the highlight of the year. To win here would be the greatest. We have a good car and we’ll do our utmost in the race.”
Timo Bernhard (# 91): “The conditions were wrong today to learn anything significant about our car. I drove my five mandatory night laps. We could face such mixed conditions in the race, so it was important to see if everything was okay with the car. At the time I was sitting in the car it made no sense to risk too much.”

Marc Lieb (# 92): “I spent about an hour at the wheel and was able to get used to the difficult conditions. The track was almost dry towards the end, only slightly damp in the second chicane. There I had to be careful on the brakes. Our car’s balance is good, not yet perfect, but we have definitely made great progress. That I drove over the finish line three seconds before the end of the session and achieved the third fastest lap time was of course perfect timing. This is also a big motivation for the race. A huge thank you to my team. The boys have worked really hard over the last weeks and months to make our new 911 RSR even better.”

Richard Lietz (# 92): “A good grid position in Le Mans is a matter of prestige, even if it doesn’t play a major role in the race. But when you come with a new car, like us, you naturally want to be as far up the front as possible, so we are delighted with third place. Marc has made it more exciting and drove a great time right when everyone thought it was over.”

Romain Dumas (#92): “In Le Mans the regulations stipulate that all competitors must turn five qualifying laps during the night. Since I didn’t get to drive yesterday, I turned my five laps today. At the time I went out, the track half dry, half wet. That wasn’t much fun.”

Wolf Henzler (#67): “I was on wets, but the track was too dry for that towards the end. I should actually have gone out on slicks, but when the conditions are so difficult and it is night time, you obviously don’t want to take any unnecessary risks.”

Jean-Karl Vernay (#76): “It’s not decisive whether you take up a 24 hour race from fifth, sixth or seventh place. That’s why we didn’t go all out to try and improve our time under such tricky conditions. We’ve added many new parts for the race and will attempt to finish as far up the field as possible.”

Christian Ried (#88): “These conditions made it tough for everyone. You drive out, it starts to rain, you come in, the rain stops – this doesn’t give you the insights you need for the race. Today, it was really just a matter of us all turning our mandatory laps at night.”

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:15
The Krohn Racing team completed an extensive rebuild of the No. 57 Ferrari GTE-Am car on Thursday, June 20th in preparation for the 24 Hours of Le Mans after team owner/driver Tracy W. Krohn suffered an accident in Wednesday’s Free Practice.

A Ferrari 458 of the same specifications was located in Italy by Michelotto for lease to Krohn Racing for the 24 Hours of Le Mans after the Krohn chassis was determined to be too damaged for repair. The replacement car had to be stripped and rebuilt to ACO GTE-Am specification and the team did so expertly in exactly nine hours.

Krohn driver Maurizio Mediani, a 24 Hours of Le Mans rookie, had to complete a compulsory five laps in the night, which was fulfilled within the last 30 minutes of the final Qualifying Practice session of the night.

TRACY W. KROHN, Krohn Racing Team Owner/Driver, No. 57 Krohn Racing Ferrari F458 GTE-Am:
“The team did a fantastic job on getting the car together. We were very fortunate that everything came together at the very last minute. We were just getting ready to send the car out when we got a red flag in the session. That was unfortunate. Now we just need to wait to get approval from the Stewards to enter the race.”

DAVID BROWN, Krohn Racing Team Manager/Race Engineer:
“Today was a busy day because last evening we had a very large accident in one of the corners after the Dunlop Bridge, which resulted in terminal damage to the chassis of our Ferrari 458. As a result of that, we had to source another identical specification car. With the help of our colleagues at Michelotto, we were able to secure a rental on an identical car, which, in fact, is in excellent condition from Northern Italy. It was put on a truck last night and driven overnight by a truck driver and mechanic, who were delivered with it. It arrived at 2:15 p.m. and having stripped the parts which we wanted from our existing car by the morning, we then set about converting the car we were leasing into a Krohn racing car. It was a very involved, lengthy and complicated process, particularly, as ever, on the electrical side. However, due to an outstanding effort on the part of the Krohn Racing mechanics and electrical and systems people, along with the help of Michelotto, and the mechanic and truckie from the team who leased the car to us, we managed to get the car on the track in exactly nine hours.

The car ran faultlessly. We still have some work to do tomorrow to finish its preparation for the 24 Hours race, which has particularly challenges over and above a normal six hour race. We’re confident that having built the car that it will be a robust vehicle for the length of the race. We are now awaiting advice from the Stewards in regarding to the race on Saturday.”

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:17
Here is nice short video of the Krohn crew building the new car..

http://youtu.be/Bj0cN27tPEE

Rob
21st June 2013, 17:32
AUDI STILL MASTERING ABOUT IT!
The final session of qualifying tests has certainly been busy, but the result at the pole position has not changed.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ry3at3.jpg

The Audi R18 e-tron quattro # 2 retains the best time of 3'22'' 349. Loic Duval and sign the first pole of his career at Le Mans. The two sister cars, the No. 1 to the No. 3, followed at a respectable distance (more than one second).

As for Toyota, they tried to approach the German cars but without success. They fail more than four seconds! At private LM P1 cars, the best of them is Lola Coupe Toyota # 12 Rebellion Racing.

Olivier Pla still showed the full extent of his talent by taking pole position in the final minutes with a 3'38'' 621. The driver ahead of Oak Racing Oreca Nissan No. 26 G-drive and Zytek 38 of Jota Sport.

Like its counterpart in LM P2, Fred Makowiecki on his Aston Martin Vantage V8 # 99 scooped the best time of LM GTE Pro at the last minute. Ferrari F458 Italia No. 51 and the second English car, the # 97!

In LM GTE Am, domination also Aston Martin with the No. 95 in 3'57'' 776, before the No. 88 Porsche Proton Competition and Ferrari F 458 Italia # 61 AF Corse.

This Friday, the car will roll no. The day will be marked by the ballad stands (10h) and the Drivers Parade (17h).

Back on track cars the 81 th Le Mans 24 Hours in the warm-up will take place Saturday at 9am!

Rob
21st June 2013, 18:06
http://i42.tinypic.com/2vwads8.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/158102b.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/v3f7y8.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/bh10d0.jpg

Rob
21st June 2013, 18:09
http://i42.tinypic.com/67rs6v.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/t6uryx.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/e6y64n.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2qmq4xi.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/eb4l21.jpg

Rob
22nd June 2013, 08:03
http://i39.tinypic.com/nd1jl2.png
http://i41.tinypic.com/2vv5nqq.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/2rxgq9v.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/nvodvo.png

Rob
22nd June 2013, 11:34
THE LE MANS FERRARI RIDE
In 1973, just forty years here, Ferrari committed for the last time a team of factory prototypes, but is beaten by Matra. 1965 remains the last victory of the Prancing Horse in Sarthe, the sixth after a lawsuit epic race.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2j2e3a8.jpg
This year, eleven Ferrari are incurred. While prototypes 330 factory P2 experiencing major problems with the brakes in front of the race, the 250 LM future winners Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory, initiated by the NART (North American Racing Team) by Luigi Chinetti, going 25 minutes booth at the fourth hour for engine problems. Estimating the lost cause, Rindt is about to leave the circuit but Gregory catches up narrowly and decides to get back on track. The 250 LM # 21 then embarks on an incredible rise, which brings the eighteenth to the second position halfway behind another 250 LM, led by Gustave Gosselin and Pierre Dumay in the colors of Ecurie Francorchamps Jacques Swaters. Eugenio Dragoni, the sports director of the Scuderia, Swaters Chinetti and then discuss the possibility of freezing positions to ensure a brace to Ferrari after the seeds of plant P2. The first two are fine, but the boss of the NART decides to play his all to win. Then undertakes a chase that is going to change the fate of the race.

The distance duel between the top two importers of Ferrari's history ends on Sunday shortly before eleven: the 250 LM Yellow No. 26, led at that time by Gosselin, is a victim of the collapse of his right rear tire . Gregory then takes the lead and wins the race ... before the differential, severely tested for nearly two hours, just loose after he crossed the finish line! Already a three-time winner of the 24 hours as a pilot (the first successful Sarthois Ferrari 1949), Luigi Chinetti is needed this time as the boss of the team he founded in 1954. For the Prancing Horse, the ninth Le Mans victory in the snatch is that his last day. Masten Gregory (1932-1985) plays its 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1972, still under the banner of the NART, before retiring following the fatal accident of his pilot friend Joakim Bonnier in Sarthe this year. Born in 1942, Jochen Rindt was killed two years ago, during practice for the Grand Prix of Italy. His lead in the standings is so important that it becomes at the end of the 1970 season the only sacred driver World Champion Formula 1 posthumously.

Nova
22nd June 2013, 12:28
Love the 60's and 70's Lemans. Great articles Rob. We are just about ready to hit it.
Speed IS showing quite a bit of the race, all AM, then nascar in afternoon, but back to Lemans
all nite looks like.

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 13:08
Incredible start! It's like a sprint race!

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 13:09
95 Aston out of the race! SC Out!

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:20
Lemansrace.com ‏@Lemansrace 24s
That was a big impact for the Aston Martin. Reports are that driver Simonsen is conscious & with the medics.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:21
Love the 60's and 70's Lemans. Great articles Rob. We are just about ready to hit it.
Speed IS showing quite a bit of the race, all AM, then nascar in afternoon, but back to Lemans
all nite looks like.

that good mate, night time is alo if weather is dry we will see the flying laps.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:23
#95 pulled off to the outside of Tetre Rouge.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:30
TOYOTA Racing ‏@Toyota_Hybrid 2m
We're still under safety car conditions. Nothing much to report yet (not like when we lost internet earlier)

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:32
Alianora La Canta ‏@lacanta 1m
#24lm #lemans #48 Murphy (Hartley P14, 6th LMP2) has an electrical problem and is being fixed in the pits.

24hours_Live ‏@24hours_Live 1m
Aston #95 removed from circuit but extensive damage to barriers

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:33
FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 40s
After 30 min it's #1 @Audi__Sport then #7 @Toyota_Hybrid & #8 Toyota. LMP2 P1 #24 @OAKRacingLive, GTE Pro @AMR_Official #97, Am #77 Dempsey

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 13:40
Not good turner has been handed a half lap lead by the safety car. :-(

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:42
Not good turner has been handed a half lap lead by the safety car. :-(

i know, thats what gets me with SC at Le-Mans. But loooong time left.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 13:54
#95 back to Parc Ferme.

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 13:57
i know, thats what gets me with SC at Le-Mans. But loooong time left.

I know I know but it's just frustrating lol!

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 14:04
What are the stewards playing at!

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 14:10
Nice move ny Toni in #71

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 14:13
Come on Audi!

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 14:33
Ferrari #71 set to get an unsafe release penalty.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:43
FIA WEC ‏@FIAWEC 7s
All cars on track have now done one pit stop, with the @Audi__Sport leading 1-2-3 cars 1-2-3

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:43
Ferrari #71 set to get an unsafe release penalty.

think there will be.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:45
dscracelive ‏@dscracelive 41s
Gulf Middle East car reported slow after Arnage

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:49
heres onboard shot from on of the Vettes of the #95 Astons crash, :Hmm

http://youtu.be/T_ITXBv01io

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:54
Audi R18 #2 ‏@AudiR18_2 43s
@AllanMcNish brings "Bertram" in to the box, takes fuel only, windshield tearoff. And away

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:54
rain is on the way, again.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 14:56
Audi R18 #1 ‏@AudiR18_1 11s
The leading R18 e-tron Quattro with @Andre_Lotterer in the box....takes fuel and away

Rob
22nd June 2013, 15:00
Corvette Racing ‏@CorvetteRacing 1m
Rain falling in the pitlane and at the Porsche Curves as we approach the two-hour mark. Running 8th and 9th

Rob
22nd June 2013, 15:02
:thumb#51 AF Corse 4th in class atmo

Rob
22nd June 2013, 16:13
So sad, news that Allan Simonsen has past away from his injurys. The crash that happened on lap 4. Terrible news. Dont want that to happen to any driver doing the job he/she loves doing.

Thought, prays to all hiS family and AMR Team.

Rishu
22nd June 2013, 16:24
RIP Allan

Rob
22nd June 2013, 16:29
ACO statement...

2013 24 HEURES DU MANS OFFICIAL STATEMENT
At 15h09 the No.95 Aston Martin Vantage GTE, driven by Allan Simonsen of Denmark, exited the track at high speed at the Tertre Rouge corner on his fourth lap of the race.

The driver was immediately attended on the scene by the doctors from the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s Medical Service.

In a serious condition, Allan Simonsen was transferred immediately to the Circuit Medical Centre where he died soon after due to his injuries.

Allan Simonsen’s family has been informed immediately by David Richards, Principal of the Aston Martin Racing team.

Allan Simonsen, an experienced driver aged 34, had taken part in seven 24 Heures du Mans.

His team mates in the No.95 car were his fellow countrymen, Christoffer Nygaard and Kristian Poulsen.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest wishes to express its great sadness following this incident, and extends its deepest condolences to the family and those close to Allan Simonsen.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest will make no further statement while the exact reasons for the accident are still being wholly determined.

Rob
22nd June 2013, 16:33
Audi R18 #1 ‏@AudiR18_1 7s
@Andre_Lotterer "The car is fine, its very hard out there..adaption is key. Im going to talk to Leena, get a massage, eat & rest"

i wouldnt mind going to see Leena :oops;-)

Giambattista
22nd June 2013, 16:35
RIP Allan...:-s

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 16:47
Only just heard that he's died from injuries, so very sad :(

Still I hope this 90th Le Mans can still be a thriller.

458 Italia
22nd June 2013, 17:10
Ferrari still 4th. :thumb

Tifoso
22nd June 2013, 17:29
In light of the news, I think that there should be no more posts in here except for the final results out of respect for Allan. IMHO

Rob
22nd June 2013, 17:37
In light of the news, I think that there should be no more posts in here except for the final results out of respect for Allan. IMHO

:thumb

Rob
23rd June 2013, 05:43
I know said will not post for respect to Allan, but i got the AMR press release just after the terrible news...

ASTON MARTIN TO CONTINUE IN THE 24 HOURS OF LE MANS

Le Mans, 22 June 2013 - Following the ACO’s media statement concerning the tragic death of Aston Martin Racing driver Allan Simonsen, and at the specific request of his family, the team will continue to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in tribute to Allan.

- ENDS -

Rob
23rd June 2013, 17:29
For Immediate Release: Sunday, 23rd June 2013

Strakka wins LMP1 Privateers’ award at Le Mans 24 Hours

Strakka Racing has won the LMP1 Privateers’ award at the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours.

In a dramatic race, the only all-British driver line-up of Nick Leventis (London), Danny Watts (Buckingham) and Jonny Kane (Thame) came from 36th on the starting grid to finish a magnificent 6th overall in their Honda Performance Development ARX-03c, boosting its title challenge by scoring double points in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

This is the second major victory for the Silverstone-based team at Le Mans. In 2010, Strakka Racing won LMP2 and finished 5th overall – which is still the highest overall finishing position for an LMP2 car in the 90-year history of the race.

A similar strategy of keeping the car circulating around the 8.468 mile (13.629km) Circuit de la Sarthe and out of the pits again paid dividends – and the HPD ARX-03c ran faultlessly throughout, despite zero water pressure for the majority of the race.

Constantly changing weather and track conditions, low temperatures and more than 10 Safety Car periods made it a tricky race, yet the team managed to turn around a troublesome practice and qualifying build-up to enjoy a largely problem-free race in its Relentless Energy Drink supported prototype.

Danny started the race and moved from 36th to 13th in three laps, before quickly settling into 8th place – the same position the team had qualified in before a grid penalty was imposed. His first stint lasted three and three-quarter hours, during which Danny sustained sore hips that developed into very painful welts, which required medical treatment during the remainder of the event. But his speed and textbook quadruple stint in the hours after midnight were also significant.

Nick took on the most challenging of race conditions – long runs when the temperatures were at their coldest and the track had the least amount of grip. His faultless performance immediately after darkness and during sunrise was the backbone of the team’s success.

Jonny showed no side effects of his 128.6mph (207kph) impact with a crash barrier in qualifying to put in another stunning performance on his tenth appearance at Le Mans. His experience ensured Strakka made no mistakes in the incredibly difficult closing stages of the race, where torrential showers of rain caused havoc. He eventually had the honour of taking the chequered flag.

Strakka Racing’s success was overshadowed by the tragic accident that claimed the life of Aston Martin Racing Team driver Allan Simonsen. The 34-year old Dane had raced a BMW M3 GTR with Strakka Racing in various races in 2008, including the Britcar 24 Hours. Strakka wishes to express its great sadness and extends its deepest condolences to Allan’s family and close friends.

Nick Leventis: “It wasn’t an easy run up to the race by any means, but such is the spirit of the Strakka team that we never give up. We stuck to our game plan of staying out of trouble and we’ve won the LMP1 Privateers’ award – meaning that for Strakka Racing stands on the top step of the podium at Le Mans for the second time in four years. It was a tremendous effort by everyone in the team. Both Jonny and Danny showed once again why they are top level drivers and whilst we’re not a factory team, we certainly try to operate at a factory standard. Fair play to Rebellion, they had the pace on us this weekend, but in a twenty-four hour race you have to be there at the end, so we’ll take this victory away with us and enjoy it. To race at Le Mans in LMP1 and be the first privateer team home is a monumental mark in the history of Strakka Racing. It’s been a very emotional weekend for all sorts of reasons. I am deeply saddened to hear the news about Allan Simonsen and send my condolences to his family. I was fortunate enough to know him well and am proud to have been a former team-mate of his in 2008 at the 24 Hours of Silverstone, he will be dearly missed by all.”

Danny Watts: “It’s not really sunk in that I’ve been on the podium at Le Mans, because I’m so tired. I have to apologise to Jonny, because I missed his last race-finishing stint, because I was asleep in the back of the truck! My side hurts a little, but I’m not so much physically whacked as mentally drained. It’s also been a very emotional twenty-four hours with what happened to Allan Simonsen. I had to take the start from thirty-sixth on the grid, so there was a bit of pressure on me to stay out of trouble – which I managed to do. I went on and had a really good three hour forty-five minute stint which got us threw all the GT and LMP2 cars. My second stint was at night and the car was consistent and fairly easy to drive. It’s great to won the LMP1 Privateers’ award, but what’s most important is that we get double points for the WEC.”

Jonny Kane: “That was the most changeable conditions of any of the ten Le Mans I’ve done before by a long way. It was very tricky, lots of people were spinning in front of you and trying to choose the right tyre was all very difficult. So this really feels like a brilliant win, because we had to work very hard for it. Victory in LMP1 Privateers’ certainly didn’t come easy, so it makes the win all the more special. Crashing in qualifying was a big set back for us and it was a bit unfortunate. I don’t make many mistakes and it really upsets me when I do – plus it took a lot of our spares out of action. If we had pretty much any problems in the race, with any damage to the front or the rear bodywork, it would have probably been a race stopper. So it was nice for me to redeem myself within a few days, rather than have to wait until the next race weekend! Winning LMP1 Privateers’ at Le Mans is a fantastic result and an achievement I’m very proud of.”

Dan Walmsley, Strakka Racing Team Manager: “It’s been a very challenging race weekend and a compete contradiction between what we experience in the run up to the race, none of which related to the team’s level of preparation, and the race itself – which produced such a very satisfying result. The issues we had in practice and qualifying really didn’t show the true performance we had in the car or our true standard of work. So to start a race fairly blind, with drivers who hadn’t had enough track time, and with a big grid penalty, and to still come out the other end with victory in the LMP1 Privateers’ category – and being the top non-factory car – exceeded all our expectations. Because of the constantly changing weather, we had to change our strategy and react to things on a minute-by-minute basis, and I think we called all the key decisions correctly. I’m really delighted for the entire team, as each person has contributed so much on so many different levels – even though we are missing our chief mechanic, Paul Stephens, who is recovering from a back problem. The result stands out as a reward for everyone in the team for all their hard work and commitment to the Strakka cause and to what we hope is becoming a well recognised and respected motorsport brand.”

Time-lapsed significant race moments
00.00 JK takes the chequered flag. 6th overall / 1st WEC Privateers’ Team
00.34 Safety Car comes in after rain delay
01.13 Fuel and tyres (wets).
01.34 Fuel
02.23 Fuel and tyres (slicks).
02.41 Fuel and tyres (inters). Garage to reset ECU.
03.07 Driver change: JK replaces JK. Fuel and tyres (slicks).
03.29 Fuel and tyres (inters)
03.56 Fuel and tyres (slicks)
05.12 Fuel and tyres (inters)
05.47 Driver change: DW replaces NL. Fuel and tyres (slicks).
06.23 #13 Rebellion spins into barriers and pits. Up to 6th o/a and 1st LMP1 Privateer
06.30 Fuel and tyres (slicks)
06.44 #12 Rebellion in garage, up to 7th
07.29 #1 Audi overtakes. 8th
08.25 Driver change: NL replaces JK. Fuel and tyres (slicks). 7th
09.12 Fuel
10.04 Spun backwards into gravel entering pit lane to change tyres (wets to slicks)
10.50 Fuel and tyres (inters to wets)
11.12 Driver change: JK replaces DW. Fuel and tyres (slicks to inters). 7th
12.18 Fuel
13.20 Fuel
14.08 Fuel. Right rear puncture on in lap, for tyres as well (slicks)
15.07 Driver change: DW replaces NL. Fuel and tyres (slicks). 7th
16.07 Fuel
17.00 Driver change: NL replaces JK. Fuel and tyres (slicks). 6th
17.48 Fuel
18.49 Pit under Safety Car (debris) for quick garage check. Dropped to 8th
19.07 Overtakes #13 Rebellion at second chicane on Mulsanne. Up to 7th
19.24 Fuel
20.16 Driver change: JK replaces DW. Fuel and tyres (inters to slicks)
20.59 Fuel
21.51 Fuel and tyres (slicks to inters)
22.37 Fuel
22.47 Moved to 8th
22.51 10th at restart
23:50 13th after lap 3. #95 car crashed at Tertre Rouge. Safety Car
23.53 19th after lap 2
23.56 23rd after lap 1
24.00 Start 36th on the grid (outside Row 18)

Rob
23rd June 2013, 20:19
LMP1 WINNER' QUOTES FOLLOWING 24 HOURS OF LE MANS

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport):“That was the most difficult race I’ve experienced in my 15 Le Mans years. One reason, no doubt, was having to see a young race driver from Denmark lose his life this weekend. We’re feeling with his family. But the race itself was unusual too. For 24 hours straight, our drivers had to cope with changeable weather and adjust to new conditions over and over in a very short period of time. Consequently, the team in the pits and along the pit wall didn’t have any time to rest – I can’t recall ever having experienced anything quite like this. The entire squad showed an incredible performance in an extreme situation this weekend – I’m proud to be a part of it.”

Loïc Duval (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “Le Mans is a great race that evokes so many emotions and is so tiring. Now I’ve really got to restrain myself to keep from shedding tears. It was a difficult race in which we unfortunately lost someone (Allan Simonsen). Since last year, the whole team has been giving everything and prepared an outstanding car for us. This is my first Le Mans victory – together with Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish. A really great moment in my career!”

Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “For me, Le Mans was filled with very personal emotions this time. I’m proud to drive for the world’s best team. This applies to all team-mates, all employees in Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm and for Audi Sport Team Joest. They make it possible for us to realize a dream. Now this dream has come true again – winning the fastest and toughest race under the direction of Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. Unfortunately, we lost someone yesterday (with Allan Simonsen) who had the same dream. He was a very modest and nice person. That’s why I’m experiencing highs and lows this time. With respect to my ninth victory: I’m driving with determination and the ambition my father inspired in me. He died in March. Before his death, he told me that I’d win Le Mans this year with my team-mates. I’m hoping that one day I’ll be able to celebrate another victory with Loïc and Allan that I can dedicate to my father. Because this Le Mans success I’m dedicating to Allan Simonsen.”

Allan McNish (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “Our pace was right this year. The 2013-specification Audi R18 e-tron quattro is simply very, very good. The engineers did a perfect job in the winter. We were here on the test day. Loïc Duval’s lap time and the confidence that Tom Kristensen and I had in the car gave us a good feeling. That’s why for us it was about being careful and driving a clean race throughout – without additional pit stops. Except for a puncture on Tom’s stint our run was perfect for 24 hours straight. There aren’t too many races like that at Le Mans. And we had strong competition in the form of our ‘sister car’ and by Toyota.”

Rob
23rd June 2013, 20:20
OLIVER GAVIN BEATS THE WEATHER, THE ODDS AND A HEAVY HEART TO FINISH 7TH AT LE MANS

There were many challenges facing all competitors at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 90th anniversary of the first running of the famous French endurance race: the unpredictable weather, the odds against a top six finish, and the emotional toll of getting through a race which claimed the life of a popular friend and competitor from the LMGTE paddock, Allan Simonsen.

Corvette Racing’s Oliver Gavin overcame those hurdles today to finish 7th in the LMGTE Pro category. The current ALMS GTE drivers’ champion was teamed with his regular driving partner, Tommy Milner, and their endurance team mate, Richard Westbrook. The class was won by the Porsche 911 of Lieb-Lietz-Dumas.

Both Corvette Racing C6.Rs have had a difficult week at Le Mans as Olly explains: “It’s certainly this has been one of the hardest Le Mans races I’ve ever done because of the weather conditions, the emotions involved with what happened to Allan, and then us fighting with every GT car out there to make some headway, whether that was with Am or Pro cars. We were missing a bit on straight line speed and when you’re in that situation it can be a very hard race.

“At the end we had a problem when the car had gone off track (Richard Westbrook, after contact with a prototype) and we had a broken exhaust. I thought it would be okay but then I noticed my left arm was getting very hot in the car, then the side of the seat and then it started super-heating and I was struggling to continue in the car because of fumes. In the end we had to give up 5th place because the car wasn’t going to finish like that – it was either going to burn me or catch on fire so we had to park it for a couple of laps, make a basic adjustment to the exhaust system to last us through to the end.

“When it was completely dry and the circuit was rubbered in the car really came good and the deficit we had in straight line speed we were able to make up for in the way we’d tuned the chassis. Our whole aim from the start of the week was to think about how the circuit was going to be at the end but we needed it to be like it was at the end ten hours earlier. Then we could have fought with everyone and we would have had a far stronger event, not just fighting with the Ferraris for positions but the Porsches and Astons too for potential podiums.”

The Corvette Racing team plans to return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 with the new C7R which, by June, will have already taken part in the Daytona 24 and the 12 Hours of Sebring. Good tests indeed for the world’s biggest sports car race.

23rd June 2013

Rob
23rd June 2013, 20:20
24H LE MANS: PORSCHE MARKS 50 YEARS OF THE 911 WITH VICTORY AT LE MANS

This year’s 24 Heures du Mans should have been a cause for celebration for many including the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, marking 90 years since the first 24-hour event in La Sarthe, Aston Martin Racing, which was founded 100 years ago, and Porsche – the iconic 911 was first launched 50 years ago.

At the chequered flag it was the new-for-2013 No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey of Marc Lieb-Richard Lietz-Romain Dumas which crossed the finish line ahead of all others in the LMGTE Pro category. Celebrations were, however, tempered by the tragic loss of Aston Martin Racing driver Allan Simonsen in the opening hour of the race – an incident which affected many throughout the paddock who had known and raced against him.

In fact, Porsche recorded an extremely impressive 1-2 in the LMGTE Pro category plus victory in the LMGTE Am class. Second Pro car to cross the line was the sister No.91 entry of Jörg Bergmeister-Patrick Pilet-Timo Bernhard, the only other car to finish on the same lap as the class leader.

Third in class was the No.97 Aston Martin Vantage GTE of Darren Turner-Stefan Mücke-Peter Dumbreck who had desperately been hoping to claim victory in tribute to their team mate. The Aston had led the category for the first four hours before relinquishing the place to its sister car, the No.99 of Fred Makowiecki-Rob Bell-Bruno Senna. This last trio had led from hour 5 until just before 10:00h when, during one of the many frequent and unpredictable rain showers, Makowiecki lost control and crashed the car.

The weather and track conditions were the largest contributor to the 11 safety car periods which punctuated the event. With such a long circuit and large field, there are in fact three safety cars which pick up and control the four different classes.

LMGTE Am also had a Porsche on top of the podium, with the IMSA Performance Matmut team of Rouen-based Raymond Narac claiming class honours. The No.76 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR took control of the category from the 11th hour and performed flawlessly to control the race to the end. Behind them were two AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italias – the No.55 of Perrazini-Casé-O’Young finished just 1m26s in front of the FIA WEC entry of Jack Gerber-Matt Griffin-Marco Cioci after 24 hours of long, hard racing.

With the two wins in LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am Porsche have passed yet another milestone in their long and illustrious motorsport history, claiming their 100th class victory at the 24 Heures du Mans.

The next round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the 6 Hours of Sao Paolo, will take place on September 1st in Brazil.

Rob
23rd June 2013, 20:37
24 HOURS OF LE MANS 2013: AUDI TWELFTH!
While Audi says gets a new success in fifteen entries after the 90th anniversary edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Tom Kristensen improve its own record with a ninth win.

If the Danish pilot is more than ever the record for victories in Sarthe, his team-mate Allan McNish sign his third win in five years, while Loic Duval, who had also signed the pole position, added the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a prestigious list which already includes the 12 Hours of Sebring and the Tourist Trophy.

Rob
24th June 2013, 19:30
just couple of pictures..

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ml9oi.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/10yf6yr.jpg

Rob
24th June 2013, 20:31
http://i41.tinypic.com/f1e8lt.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2vcgk0o.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/id6bs3.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nusu89.jpg

Rob
24th June 2013, 20:32
http://i40.tinypic.com/2luxdat.jpg

Rob
24th June 2013, 20:34
http://i40.tinypic.com/veygzq.jpg

Rob
24th June 2013, 20:38
http://i41.tinypic.com/f1e8lt.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/fz5k5k.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2rfanuu.jpg

Rob
24th June 2013, 20:44
RIP Allan...

http://i42.tinypic.com/vd1j76.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2zjgtpl.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/iedoib.jpg

Tobes
24th June 2013, 21:01
Hey Robster, you missed out sir, was a really good race, great weekend, wanted Bruno to do well, but just didn't work out for him, pleased for Ant after last year, and fantastic result for Lucas and the Nismo car, still flying the flag for all us armchair GT racers, Nissan was a very big presence there, saw a mocked up 100% electric version of the DeltaWing, watch this space...

Obviously very sad situation with the Aston, we were sat just before the corner and saw the end of the accident, but racing around at those speeds is very dangerous, obviously no one should lose their lives, but that is the acknowledged risk they all take...

Tifoso
24th June 2013, 22:28
Hey Robster, you missed out sir, was a really good race, great weekend, wanted Bruno to do well, but just didn't work out for him, pleased for Ant after last year, and fantastic result for Lucas and the Nismo car, still flying the flag for all us armchair GT racers, Nissan was a very big presence there, saw a mocked up 100% electric version of the DeltaWing, watch this space...

Obviously very sad situation with the Aston, we were sat just before the corner and saw the end of the accident, but racing around at those speeds is very dangerous, obviously no one should lose their lives, but that is the acknowledged risk they all take...

You were there? You lucky dawg! Someday...

@ Rob: what a beautiful tribute. Thanks for posting it, mate. :cheers

Tobes
24th June 2013, 23:03
You were there? You lucky dawg! Someday...

Yeah... :-D

Drove down on Thurs, came back last night, only a 6hr journey in the car, same as Nurburgring...

Tifoso
24th June 2013, 23:47
Yeah... :-D

Drove down on Thurs, came back last night, only a 6hr journey in the car, same as Nurburgring...

*sigh*

Lucky you :-)

fratelliferrari
25th June 2013, 09:51
Very emotional to see the pictures of the flowers for Allan :-(

Nova
25th June 2013, 13:01
Ive been looking around for race reports as to what happened to our cars in the Pro class..a class we won last year yet
got creamed this year. Close one in GTE AM.. I thought our weakest chance was there yet we almost won it.
Anyone know what happened in GT Pro?

Speed announcers mentioned that Ferrari was thinking of bringing all of the 458's IN House next year. That would mean actual Factory
team. Something Ferrari hasnt done in years.

Rob
25th June 2013, 16:56
24 Hours of Le Mans, the analysis
June, 25th – The analysis of the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the AF Corse Team and the Ferrari 458 Italia was certainly contrasting between the GTE Pro and GTE Am
class. The result did not smile on the 458 Italia in the Pro this year; however, the team achieved a great double podium in the GTE-Am category thanks to the performances
of the squads composed of Piergiuseppe Perazzini-Lorenzo Casè-Darryl O’Young and Jack Gerber-Marco Cioci-Matt Griffin.

GTE PRO - The fact that most prestigious endurance race in the world would not look kindly at Ferrari was clear right from the very beginning: the “balance of perfomance”
was decisively adverse for the cars that dominated the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2012. Following the start, some unlucky events affected the race of the Prancing Horse cars. At the end, the best result was the fifth place of the Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 N°71 driven by Kamui Kobayashi, Toni Vilander and Olivier Beretta (JPN/FIN/MCO). One position behind was its sister car, the 458 Italia GT2 N°51 with Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Matteo Malucelli (ITA/ITA/ITA).

GTE AM – The things went much better in the GTE AM category where two of the three AF Corse 458 made it to the podium. Piergiuseppe Perazzini, Lorenzo Casè and Darryl O’Young (ITA/ITA/HKG) took the second podium step in their Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 N° 55. In third position, Jack Gerber, Marco Cioci and Matt Griffin (ZAF/
ITA/IRL) in their Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 N° 61. Both the cars fought long and hard with the Porsche N° 76 (the eventually class winner) taking the chequered flag with
a small gap from the winner. In summary, the double result is memorable. Finishing in eleventh, even though it did not see the flag due to a crash in the 12th hour, was
the AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia N°54 driven by Yannick Mallegol, Jean Marc Bachelier and Howard Blank (FRA/FRA/USA).

There was disappointment regarding the 8Star Motorsports 458 Italia N°81 – managed by AF Corse – with the crew composed of Enzo Potolicchio, Rui Aguas and Jason Bright (VEN/POR/AUS). These drivers were among the favourite for the GTE AM victory, but the explosion of a rear tyre in the first half of the race and the further damage this caused to the car forced the team to carry out a 30 minute pit stop before to rejoining the race. At the end, they were ninth.

In the Championship (the 24 Hours of Le Mans is part of the FI A World Endurance Championship) the playing field is now very open. Ferrari is second among the GT Manufactures with 116 points (just 2 behind Porsche), while AF Corse is in third position in the teams championships on 60 points (14 behind nearest rival Porsche Team Manthey). The championship continues on September 1st at the Sao Paulo Circuit in Brazil.

AF Corse Press Office - Riccardo Delfanti

Rob
25th June 2013, 17:01
A TOUGH WEEK FOR KROHN RACING
The years go by and do not look at the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the team Krohn Racing actor since the beginning of Endurance Championship FIA World. After the third step of the podium in LM GTE Am in 2012, the U.S. team had to give up in the night after going off track in the Esses Porsche.

The week had started badly for the team Krohn Racing Ferrari 458 Italia and green on No. 57. In fact, Tracy Krohn, driver and team owner, is violently off the track during practice. The verdict came quickly: car repair. It was therefore necessary to find a new chassis urgently arrived on a platform from Italy. The mechanics worked hard to build a new car so that the neophyte Maurizio Mediani can wrap the five rounds of regulatory night.

Party fund grid Nic Jönssona fought hard to get back into the race, but the abandonment became inevitable when the 111th lap, the car left the track in the Esses Porsche. The marathon day mechanics was reduced to nil in a few seconds, but the driver was unhurt in the accident which Tracy Krohn explains the circumstances: "Everything was going well until the last two or three laps Tires went fast enough and. the track was very slippery. I arrived in the second left turn of Esses Porsche and I took the turn. Rear slightly stolen and I went into the gravel and grass. thought I it was going to happen, but in my peripheral vision, I saw a car coming. I felt I had to brake, which sent the car head-to-tail in the wall on the other side. I thought if the car still, I was touching something else, so I did everything I could to stop the car. Both weeks were terrible for us, but it's mostly our fault. But we learn from our failures, we is mortified and find how to improve. The team did a fantastic job. I am very proud of the guys. entire team worked very hard and I'm sure this is not the result they expected and I expected. A fine young man, a talented pilot died today, so I think we should keep things in perspective. I offer my most sincere thanks to family and friends condolences. What a tragedy. Everything else pales. "

The American team based in Braselton, near Circuit Road Altanta, will continue his quest for the FIA ​​Endurance Trophy for the best team LM GTE Am, but now has 50 points behind the first. The rest of the season will not be a bed of roses ...

Rob
25th June 2013, 17:02
Porsche achieved an impressive 1-2 in the LMGTE Pro category, as well as victory in the Am class in its 50th anniversary year of the iconic 911 model.

Marc Lieb, No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “It’s a fairytale. To win Le Mans at our first attempt with a new RSR is something we never expected in our wildest dreams. I’m incredibly proud of my teammates and the entire crew that turned the 911 RSR into a winning car at Le Mans in such a short time.”

Richard Lietz, No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “Even in my last stint when everything came to a head for us I didn’t feel any great pressure. But right from the start I had the death of a colleague in my head, and the battle for tenths of seconds and positions became secondary. I believe there wouldn’t be many drivers who could really concentrate, I’ve never experienced so many safety car phases in Le Mans. We were lucky with the rain today but we needed luck too under such difficult conditions. As far as our performance and the car goes we are delighted and proud, but our thoughts are somewhere else.”

Romain Dumas, No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “This race was packed with suspense and emotion right from the start. It began with Allan Simonsen’s tragic accident, and in the end we were lucky with the rain which helped us considerably. However, we had a lot of frustration with the safety car at the beginning. This success is of course great for Porsche and the 50th anniversary of the 911.”

Joerg Bergmeister, No.91 Porsche AG Team Manthey:: “I had very mixed feelings after Allan’s fatal accident. First and second place is obviously a dream result which we had not anticipated before the race considering the superiority of Aston Martin. We had a fabulous car, but also a bit of bad luck. But we were always up with the play, second place is a very good consolation.”

Patrick Pilet, No.91 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “It is a day to be proud and happy, but also sad. Due to the circumstances we’ll all need a couple of weeks to let it sink in. Right now we are all thinking of Allan and that’s why this success is not exactly the wonderful moment it was actually supposed to be for me. We came here with a new car, we worked incredibly hard together and fought together with Porsche for this result.”

Timo Bernhard, No.91 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “It was a very moving, difficult race with constantly changing weather conditions. We had hoped for a podium result, so the double victory is just fantastic especially for me since this was my last race with the 911 RSR. From the outset we were really fast, but lost two minutes early on through the safety car and we spent the rest of the race trying to catch up. In the end we all had that necessary luck and I congratulate my teammates on their victory. That was a truly great day for the entire team.”

Jean-Karl Vernay, No.76 IMSA Performance Matmut: “Porsche supports me this season in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup. Here in Le Mans I wanted to prove that they were right putting their trust in me. I think I succeeded. I had a great weekend.”

Porsche AG press release

Rob
25th June 2013, 17:03
OAK Racing achieved a superb 1-2 result in the LMP2 class, after a dominant performance. Following are quotes from drivers of both their finishing entries, as provided by the team.

Bertrand Baguette, no.35 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “I’m delighted to win here because this is only the second time I have taken part in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Many Belgian drivers are part of the history of this race, especially Jacky Ickx. I hope I can follow in his footsteps and that this win is just the start: The conditions were really difficult. It’s a great result for OAK Racing. A one-two finish at Le Mans – we couldn’t have asked for any more, really, and it’s also a great result for Dunlop because the LM P2 podium is 100% Dunlop.”

Ricardo Gonzalez, no.35 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “Since the start of the season, we have been working towards this race. You always hope you can win, without ever daring to believe it. I’m really pleased for my team-mates and especially for the OAK Racing team. Jacques Nicolet has invested a great deal in this project and I’m proud to have helped to secure this first win for him.”

Martin Plowman, no.35 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “It’s incredible. It’s difficult to find the words to describe what I feel. Winning Le Mans is a dream for all young drivers, so this is obviously the highlight of my career to date. I’d like to thank Jacques Nicolet. This race is his dream and his passion. Without him, none of this would have been possible. Our thoughts also go out to the family of Allan Simonsen, because even though I didn’t know him personally, we have all lost a brother today.”

Olivier Pla, no.24 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “I am really very happy for the entire team. Everyone has done an incredible job here at OAK Racing, and personally, I have been made to feel very much at home since I joined the team in 2012. Along with Alex and David, we really gave everything we had, but a minor problem in the early part of the race ended up costing us dearly. We then were a little unlucky with the safety car periods. Congratulations to the team who did a great job. Now we’re going to focus on the rest of the championship and try to win it.”

OAK Racing press release

Senna4Ever
1st August 2013, 06:13
according to this article in Austrian Website Austrian Public Network (http://sport.orf.at/stories/2189611/) Ferrari is thinking about step into LMP1 for 2015?

Can anyone confirm this?

What i didn't know: Austrian Jochen Rindt was the last who won Le Mans for Ferrari in 1965?!