PDA

View Full Version : McLaren F1 team says factory already made downforce gains

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 21:22
McLaren has revealed that its factory has already produced the downforce improvements it needs to move up the Formula 1 grid.

Efforts to lift the performance of its MP4-29 have become more urgent after a disappointing performance in the Chinese Grand Prix.

But racing director Eric Boullier insists there is no huge concern about its plight because progress back at base has been impressive in recent weeks.

However, because of the long lead time that it takes for updates to be manufactured and delivered, it may take a few races before all the upgrades are ready.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he believed that progress would be enough to get McLaren back in to the fight behind Mercedes, Boullier said: "Definitely.

"This is 100 per cent sure because we know already back in the factory what is going to happen in the next three or four races.

"I know what is going on, so I know we are on a very good development rate.

"What we picked up now since a few weeks is good. Very good.

"I hope it is going to come sooner than later. In the windtunnel already we have picked up a lot of performance.

"Back in the factory it is fine. It is just a question of preparing everything and shipping it to the track."

Sources suggest that the rate of downforce improvement unlocked in Woking in recent weeks has been greater than it has achieved at any point over the winter.

That is the reason why the team is quietly confident that it will only take a short while to get back to the kind of performance that helped it take a double podium finish in the season-opening Australian GP.

Boullier added: "Two years ago they were winning races, so there is no reason to panic.

"It is not because you lose a few guys that the car does not work any more."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113601

Alonso14
22nd April 2014, 21:25
It's all relative, though. McLaren could find a second worth of time but it's means nothing if we, FI, RBR and Williams find 2s. And not to be disrespectful towards Jenson (and Kev) but I fully believe that Fernando and Kimi have what it takes to beat them even with slightly inferior car.

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 21:26
I'm starting to wory... Don't know why... Just a huntch.

Jose Lorca
22nd April 2014, 21:45
I'm still waiting for the half a second they promised before Malaysia :lol

Nero Horse
22nd April 2014, 21:49
Don't know why you had to create a whole thread about Macca on Ferrari forum? But anyway, like one of the forum members once already said: "If mclaren start to talk themselves up then they get worse." So this is really good news for us. It means that they'll get even slower than they are right now. :-D

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 21:57
I mean, maybe we wrote them off to early.

PadGeT
22nd April 2014, 21:59
Write them off now, if u havent already. I wrote them off during Melbourne itself. Maybe should have done earlier. There is simply no chance a Mercs customer team is gonna challenge for titles in 2014.

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 22:03
I had them wiritten off until this came up...

Nero Horse
22nd April 2014, 22:03
I mean, maybe we wrote them off to early.

Who cares...as long as Ferrari beats them, it's all good!

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 22:07
I just dont like McL and I dont want them to be at the front so maybe Im overreacting, but who knows. Maybe just they will come up closest to Mercs...

PadGeT
22nd April 2014, 22:11
@Majki2111 If I may ask, how old are you? And I am not gearing up to make any snide comments, I tell u that beforehand. :-)

mark p
22nd April 2014, 22:11
Who are McLaren? I remember the name but can't place any achievements. Were they once good at something?

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 22:16
@Majki2111 If I may ask, how old are you? And I am not gearing up to make any snide comments, I tell u that beforehand. :-)

16, following F1 on daily basis since 2006. Id rather watch Ferrari fighting with Rbr than McL.

PadGeT
22nd April 2014, 22:20
16, following F1 on daily basis since 2006. Id rather watch Ferrari fighting with Rbr than McL.
:thumb
Anyways, I was going to tell you something. But seeing that you are at least 7 years younger than me, I am pretty sure you gonna figure it out down the line.

Nero Horse
22nd April 2014, 22:21
I just dont like McL and I dont want them to be at the front so maybe Im overreacting, but who knows. Maybe just they will come up closest to Mercs...

I don't like Macca either, to put it mildly. But trust me, we have a much better chance to get close to Merc than they do, so don't lose any sleep over it. Double DNF in Bahrain and 12th and 14th place in China certainly ain't the kind of results that would suggest they'd be anywhere near the top in 3 weeks lol. They've been talking the same kind of talk about gaining 1 second since the start of 2013 season, so I really wouldn't take anything they say too seriously. :-)

Majki2111
22nd April 2014, 22:22
:thumb
Anyways, I was going to tell you something. But seeing that you are at least 7 years younger than me, I am pretty sure you gonna figure it out down the line.
You mean the tradition and past of Ferrari and McL batteling in good old times?

I don't like Macca either, to put it mildly. But trust me, we have a much better chance to get close to Merc than they do, so don't lose any sleep over it. Double DNF in Bahrain and 12th and 14th place in China certainly ain't the kind of results that would suggest they'd be anywhere near the top in 3 weeks lol. They've been talking the same kind of talk about gaining 1 second since the start of 2013 season, so I really wouldn't take anything they say too seriously. :-)

We will see in Spain... Hoping for good upgrades really. :-)

Nero Horse
22nd April 2014, 22:23
Who are McLaren? I remember the name but can't place any achievements. Were they once good at something?

+100000

:clap

PadGeT
22nd April 2014, 22:29
You mean the tradition and past of Ferrari and McL batteling in good old times?

No. Its a bit tougher subject than that. There is a reason for Boullier to say these sort of things.

Alonso14
22nd April 2014, 22:47

McLaren are pretty good at what they do. This is what they have done (http://blogs.babble.com/family-style/files/2010/10/Maclaren-Denim-Quest-side.jpg) in the last 2 years.

Nero Horse
22nd April 2014, 22:56
McLaren are pretty good at what they do. This is what they have done (http://blogs.babble.com/family-style/files/2010/10/Maclaren-Denim-Quest-side.jpg) in the last 2 years.

Ohh maan, that's just priceless LOL! :haha:

Thanks for the laughs. :thumb

Alonso14
23rd April 2014, 00:05
No, the funny part is that stroller probably has more downforce than MP-whatever,I lost count (and all their cars have names that I'd only name a mixer or a microwave like that)

Nova
24th April 2014, 02:04
A Mac thread in a Ferrari forum..wow..anyway..Mclaren has achieved quite a lot, and is a well respected race and road car mftr.
Methinks it may be the somewhat dubious leader of the team that has a few people here (well, everyone) against them.
Of course, that would be Ron the Don Vadar. But as a race and road car company, I respect them.

N Dont throw anything at me.