PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Alonso to compete in 2017 Indy 500

fmatiasii
12th April 2017, 10:28
Fernando Alonso will make a stunning Indy 500 debut this year in a McLaren entry powered by Honda and run by the Andretti Autosport team.

The shock announcement was made on Wednesday by McLaren, who will be returning to Indianaoplis for the first time in 38 years. Alonso will drive a Dallara DW12 chassis with an engine limited to IndyCar regulations. As the Indy 500 clashes with the Monaco Grand Prix the two-time world champion will sit out the iconic street race. McLaren will confirm his replacement "in due course", though it is likely to be a call-up for Jenson Button, who moved from a race seat into an ambassadorial role for this season.

The move will see Alonso team up with former Manor driver Alexander Rossi, who won last year's 100th edition as a rookie. Alonso will fly to Indianapolis from Barcelona immediately after the Spanish Grand Prix, where he will spend two weeks practicing with the car before the race.

The Spaniard said he is already relishing the chance of driving at the event.

"I'm immenselyexcited that I'll be racing in this year's Indy 500, with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport," he said. "The Indy 500 is one of the most famous races on the global motorsport calendar, rivalled only by the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Monaco Grand Prix, and it's of course a regret of mine that I won't be able to race at Monaco this year.

"But Monaco will be the only 2017 Grand Prix I'll be missing, and I'll be back in the cockpit of the McLaren-Honda MCL32 for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in early June."

McLaren CEO Zak Brown said: "As an American, albeit one who fell in love with Formula 1 at a very young age, I've always regarded the Indy 500 as a fantastic motor race.

"For that reason I'm particularly delighted to have been able to bring McLaren back to Indianapolis in my very first year as McLaren's Executive Director. Michael [Andretti] is an old friend of mine, and a man I respect enormously, and his Andretti Autosport organisation is one of the best in the business. Michael is a winner - indeed his team won the Indy 500 last year with Alexander Rossi, who will be one of Fernando's team-mates at Indy next month - and I couldn't be happier that Fernando will be making his IndyCar debut in one of Michael's cars."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/19139806/fernando-alonso-compete-2017-indy-500

jgonzalesm6
12th April 2017, 10:42
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!:roll:-E:Hmm.... he is going to miss the Monaco race. Well, I rest my case about Alonso as he has future plans in IndyCar. I probably will watch it(IndyCar) just to see how he does....solely for that reason.

nani_s23
12th April 2017, 11:41
:roll:-s:-ZZ

Aberracus
12th April 2017, 11:59
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!:roll:-E:Hmm.... he is going to miss the Monaco race. Well, I rest my case about Alonso as he has future plans in IndyCar. I probably will watch it(IndyCar) just to see how he does....solely for that reason.

He is going after the triple crown

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

jgonzalesm6
12th April 2017, 12:10
He is going after the triple crown

yep, in all fairness to Alonso....GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!.....Honestly, I don't think anyone here thinks that Mc/Honda is a contender for the WCC let alone Alonso as a WDC for 2017. Mario should be a good coach for him during his "rookie" year.

fmatiasii
12th April 2017, 13:04
the question is - will they be competitive enough?

WS6TransAm01
12th April 2017, 13:19
What the....

I guess he is planning his F1 exit strategy? He can have a reunion with JPM.

Stormsearcher
12th April 2017, 13:47

Monaco is the snoozefest of the year!!:lol If he were to miss a race at all.. it should be Monaco.

jgonzalesm6
12th April 2017, 16:31
I guess thats JB off the reserve list

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/850008424125517825

Kristof_F40
12th April 2017, 16:54
This is absolutly brilliant
Everybody happy in my opinion.

jgonzalesm6
12th April 2017, 18:10
McLaren not ruling out further IndyCar involvement

McLaren is not ruling out further involvement in the Verizon IndyCar Series, following the surprise announcement that double Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso would compete in the 101st Indianapolis 500 with the team.

It will mark McLaren’s return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first time in 38 years, with the Woking-based outfit set to work alongside engine supplier Honda and full-time IndyCar outfit Andretti Autosport.

This will mean Alonso will miss the coveted Monaco Grand Prix, a race the Spaniard has won on two occasions.

Although Alonso is only scheduled to compete in one IndyCar race this season, McLaren’s Executive Committee Principal Mansour Ojjeh has hinted that the team could well return once again in the near future.

“The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race we’ll be entering this year, but we may possibly repeat that in years to come and it’s just possible that we may even run a full-works McLaren IndyCar operation at some point in the future. We’ll see,” explained Ojjeh.

McLaren made their Indianapolis 500 debut way back in 1970, securing pole position the following year before eventually winning the race in 1974 and 1975 with Johnny Rutherford.

“Equally, we may potentially enter the Le Mans 24 Hours again some time – we won it outright in 1995 with our iconic McLaren F1 GTR – but to be clear we have absolutely no definite plans to do so at this stage,” continued Ojjeh.

Should McLaren opt to return to Le Mans, Alonso could certainly be considered a likely candidate for the drive.

The Spaniard is undoubtedly aiming to become only the second driver in the history of motor sport to win the Triple Crown, a feat currently only ever achieved by Graham Hill

It includes winning the Monaco Grand Prix, Indianapolis 500 and Le Mans 24 Hours.

source: https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/14305

GEEEEEEEEEEEEjuzzz!!!!!:-E:-E....Mc/Honda to enter F1, IndyCar and possibly LeMans........thats monumental!!!!!

Greig
12th April 2017, 19:40
Alonso will win it, if the car does not break down :-D

On a sidenote, imagine if you were an Alonso fan and you had paid to go Monaco....pretty poor :-(

Stormy
12th April 2017, 22:12
He actually has a pretty good chance winning this thing. You must take in mind that the same team (Andretti) fitted with a 2.2-litre twin-turbo V6 Honda engine was the winner last race. However, can Alonso fully adapt to the car? I've never followed any Indy and i'm not too familiar on how different the cars are from F1. Nevertheless, this is a good way to keep Alonso happy for a while and for Honda and McLaren to do some good marketing.
The question is who will replace Alonso for Monaco? Maybe JB? I think he is still under contract.

jgonzalesm6
12th April 2017, 22:19
He actually has a pretty good chance winning this thing. You must take in mind that the same team (Andretti) fitted with a 2.2L Honda engine was the winner last race. However, will Alonso adapt to the car? I've never followed Indy and i'm not too familiar on F1 vs Indy.
The question is who will replace Alonso for Monaco? Maybe JB? I think he is still under contract.

yep....Alexander Rossi. Remember him? (HAAS)....Nobody thought for one minute, not even me, that he had a shot for the WDC in F1 (not comparing F1 to IndyCar). Says something about the Andretti Organization.

Replacement: looks to be JB...

Liscia
13th April 2017, 01:36
It'll be good fun for FA and I wish him the best of luck! That's a race that a Honda-powered car can possibly win and it's something interesting and different from his driving that McLaren Honda dog he doomed himself with! If he wins Honda may save some face if only indirectly and FA will get some refreshing recreation if not a win? Ovals are a BORE but he may just pull off a surprise for himself and all of us! Again I wish him well and I hope it helps him shed some frustration.

jgonzalesm6
13th April 2017, 10:58
Well, its official, JB to replace Alonso @ Monaco

Jenson Button set to replace Fernando Alonso for McLaren at Monaco Grand Prix

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39589767

Samcar222
13th April 2017, 15:38
Honda seem to have the edge on road courses this year so far, but we'll see about ovals when we get to Phoenix.. As far as the blasé attitudes of many here, I invite you to watch a few road and oval Indycar races... as far as the racing is concerned, it doesn't get much better. We don't do high-tech like LMP1-H or F1 V6 hybrids in the US - we like the spectacle, and doing it in a cost-effective way. Let's just say Roger Penske could run his normal four-car Indycar program for three full seasons for what Force India (edit: probably Manor, now that I think about it) probably spends in one year of F1.

As for Alonso, he will be right there on a single lap, it will be traffic management, and managing the conditions (wind, track) that he will need to adapt to.

I also read he's attending the next road course race as a guest of Andretti at Barber (Alabama). Would be cool to have him hop in after the race is over to get acquainted.

jgonzalesm6
13th April 2017, 15:51
Honda seem to have the edge on road courses this year so far, but we'll see about ovals when we get to Phoenix.. As far as the blasé attitudes of many here, I invite you to watch a few road and oval Indycar races... as far as the racing is concerned, it doesn't get much better. We don't do high-tech like LMP1-H or F1 V6 hybrids in the US - we like the spectacle, and doing it in a cost-effective way. Let's just say Roger Penske could run his normal four-car Indycar program for three full seasons for what Force India probably spends in one year of F1.

As for Alonso, he will be right there on a single lap, it will be traffic management, and managing the conditions (wind, track) that he will need to adapt to.

I also read he's attending the next road course race as a guest of Andretti at Barber (Alabama). Would be cool to have him hop in after the race is over to get acquainted.

He will be under the wing of Andretti Motorsport....they will just slap a sticker on it "McLaren/Honda." Some interesting names have gone to Mario's "school" i.e. Kurt Busch and Alexander Rossi (HAAS F1) who won last year. His main problem, among many others, will be that he is running with 23 guys mostly running in a pack instead of 3 or 4 ahead of him or 1 or 2 (Wild Seven Renault); all doing 220mph...flat out.

WS6TransAm01
13th April 2017, 20:44
Might actually watch this. Would be the first oval track race I have watched since Kimi did the whole NASCAR Truck thing.

jgonzalesm6
13th April 2017, 21:06
Might actually watch this. Would be the first oval track race I have watched since Kimi did the whole NASCAR Truck thing.

you and me both as well as many others globally. Note: Nigel Mansell did the same thing and was quite successful in Indy-CART (almost same age as "El Nano" as his hometown likes to call him back in Spain).

FerrariSteve
13th April 2017, 21:35
This is awesome but also scary. I hope he's okay.. I don't think the safety of the indy cars is as good as F1 cars. :(
I wish him the best and I'd love it if he won.

jgonzalesm6
13th April 2017, 22:14
This is awesome but also scary. I hope he's okay.. I don't think the safety of the indy cars is as good as F1 cars. :(
I wish him the best and I'd love it if he won.

The difference is they are safe(IndyCar 500) but unlike F1, the wall is inches away or while turning feet away whilst doing 220mph flat out. There are no gravel traps, run-offs(while braking or several yards from the track on high-speed zones); in oval, you make a mistake "HELLO WALL" and your car and more than likely yourself are done (visit to the hospital) ON TOP OF your in a pack of 23 mind-sets and not around 2 or 3 (F1). F1 is dangerous but the 500 is even more so.

abbottcostello
14th April 2017, 09:08
OK, Indy 500 is back on my viewing calendar!
Go Nando!!

Stormy
14th April 2017, 09:30
F1 is dangerous but the 500 is even more so.

When you think about it, Indy 500 is way more dangerous. Not talking about the cars but about the race itself. They are flat out in traffic all the time with the walls only inches away. A pile-up can happen pretty easily as well. Crazy stuff. I just heard Ricciardo and Hulkenberg talking about it, they said they are not considering doing an Indy race because of the danger involved. This will be the first full Indy race i'll watch and can't wait to see how FA will perform.

jgonzalesm6
14th April 2017, 09:40
When you think about it, Indy 500 is way more dangerous. Not talking about the cars but about the race itself. They are flat out in traffic all the time with the walls only inches away. A pile-up can happen pretty easily as well. Crazy stuff. I just heard Ricciardo and Hulkenberg talking about it, they said they are not considering doing an Indy race because of the danger involved. This will be the first full Indy race i'll watch and can't wait to see how FA will perform.

yup....also driving perception, meaning: driving a 100mph(160kph) on an open road(or 3 lanes wide) as opposed to driving 60mph(96kph) with trees on both sides just inches away from your car....like the wall at the 500. Plus the endurance as well....driving 500 miles flat out....its mental and physical fatigue...not that F1 does not have it but its longer in the 500.

Stormy
14th April 2017, 10:08
Plus the endurance as well....driving 500 miles flat out....its mental and physical fatigue...not that F1 does not have it but its longer in the 500.
I agree about the mental aspect but not sure about the physical compared to F1. I think F1 is more physically demanding because of the immense Gs experienced through corners, turn after turn, hairpin after hairpin, lap after lap. Besides, Indy drivers are not that fit compared to F1 drivers. Just look at Montoya lol.

Stormsearcher
17th April 2017, 06:05
Looks like Alonso is the best at making bad decisions. Rumours are he is headed back to renault next year. :-??

stefa
17th April 2017, 06:38
Looks like Alonso is the best at making bad decisions. Rumours are he is headed back to renault next year. :-??

Where else he could go?

Stormy
17th April 2017, 06:41
Where else he could go?

I don't see Renault having a competitive car in the next 3 years to be honest. I think he is better off in McLaren. At least they are investing a similar amount of money as Ferrari, RB and Mercedes. Besides, it would be ridiculous if McLaren starts winning and he's in Renault and they are nowhere haha.

stefa
17th April 2017, 08:16
I don't see Renault having a competitive car in the next 3 years to be honest. I think he is better off in McLaren. At least they are investing a similar amount of money as Ferrari, RB and Mercedes. Besides, it would be ridiculous if McLaren starts winning and he's in Renault and they are nowhere haha.

Honestly I see hell freezing over than McLaren starts winning... I know never sey never.... but...

jgonzalesm6
17th April 2017, 08:23
Renault might not have a competitive car but it will at least be a car that finishes in the race. Now the question is Alonso's salary.

Who knows.....I see the Honda(Mclaren) side with regards to flexibility with other race motorsports as he is currently doing plus he will still collect his salary.

(hands up in the air)

Stormsearcher
17th April 2017, 09:28

My thoughts exactly. With his luck, the moment he joins renault, the McLaren will start winning. Think he should stay put. Honda are not that bad that they cannot get an engine right.

Stormy
17th April 2017, 17:18
Renault might not have a competitive car but it will at least be a car that finishes in the race. Now the question is Alonso's salary.

Yeah but he doesn't care only about finishing the race. He wants to fight for the title. So, it would be better to stay at McLaren, be the highest payed driver on the grid and pray that Honda can make it right in the next 2-3 years. If they don't, at least he tried. I don't see Renault winning a title in the near future as well, they are simply not investing enough in chassis. Honda and McLaren on the other hand are dumping a lot of resources into this program, so at least they are trying.

jgonzalesm6
17th April 2017, 17:42
Yeah but he doesn't care only about finishing the race. He wants to fight for the title. So, it would be better to stay at McLaren, be the highest payed driver on the grid and pray that Honda can make it right in the next 2-3 years. If they don't, at least he tried. I don't see Renault winning a title in the near future as well, they are simply not investing enough in chassis. Honda and McLaren on the other hand are dumping a lot of resources into this program, so at least they are trying.

I agree......my thoughts exactly.......he should just stick it out with Mc/Honda. He cannot go to Ferrari or MB as he burned thosed bridges. Renault is just where its always been and I don't see them moving up the grid by 2020. With Honda, he can venture into other Motorsports if they are still in the "suckage" category when it comes to F1.

Stormy
17th April 2017, 17:54
I agree......my thoughts exactly.......he should just stick it out with Mc/Honda. He cannot go to Ferrari or MB as he burned thosed bridges. Renault is just where its always been and I don't see them moving up the grid by 2020. With Honda, he can venture into other Motorsports if they are still in the "suckage" category when it comes to F1.

Yeah. Maybe they can help him get a competitive car in 24 Hours LeMans as well? I don't know how Honda are doing there, not really a fan of endurance racing to be honest.

jgonzalesm6
17th April 2017, 19:31
Yeah. Maybe they can help him get a competitive car in 24 Hours LeMans as well? I don't know how Honda are doing there, not really a fan of endurance racing to be honest.

Alonso and Mark Webber are best buds; Porsche will offer him a deal driving in the LMP1 class IMHO should there be an offer and he chooses to go that route; Honestly, not a bad deal all the way around. Im sure Mark had fun racing for them when compared to Redbull and the "politics" with regards to Seb.

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2017, 10:25
No room at Porsche for Alonso - boss

Germany - Porsche has played down claims it will host Fernando Alonso's bid for 2018 Le Mans victory.

Alonso is tackling next month's Indy 500, as part of his stated push to win the 'Triple Crown' of motor sport -- Monaco, Indy and the fabled 24 hour endurance race.

Reports said Porsche's LMP1 project is what Alonso is targeting for his 2018 Le Mans assault.

Team boss Andreas Seidl told Auto Bild: "We have six drivers with whom we are very satisfied -- and with whom we are planning for the long term.

"Alonso is an interesting driver and two years ago we could have put something together. But now we do not have a third prototype -- and there are currently no plans to change," he added.

source: http://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/no-room-at-porsche-for-alonso-boss-20170419

Stormy
23rd April 2017, 16:01
JV back with another wisdom :-D

Ahead of Fernando Alonso’s Indy 500 debut, Jacques Villeneuve has defended the Spaniard’s decision to race in the prestigious event.

Alonso surprised many earlier this month when it was announced that he would skip May’s Monaco Grand Prix in order to race in the 101st Indianapolis 500.

The double World Champion’s switch, which is a one-race outing, has split the paddock with some praising his decision while others have questioned it.

Nico Hulkenberg falls into the latter category with the German saying it is too dangerous.

And that has earned JV’s ire.

Speaking about Alonso’s decision to race the IndyCar event, he told Spanish daily AS: “I think what he does has great value, it shows that he is a real racer and that he has great courage.

“We already know Fernando’s talent, his class as a driver, but this gesture makes him even bigger and will make him go down in the story as a real driver.”

Asked what he meant about a “real driver”, he replied: “Well, all you have to do is listen to what other drivers have said about his decision.

“I heard Nico Hulkenberg and Romain Grosjean giving an opinion about what Alonso is doing. Hulkenberg saying that it is dangerous, too much a risk, that he wouldn’t do it, that he did Le Mans because it was different.

“Making excuses or something.”

He added: “And I think there are two classes of drivers. You’re an Alonso or you’re a Rosberg. And Hulkenberg is a Rosberg.”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/jv-two-classes-alonsos-and-rosbergs/

jgonzalesm6
24th April 2017, 00:17
Fernando Alonso Video Highlights from his first IndyCar visit : April 23, 2017 (18min 14sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlNB2qhNZcc

Giallo 550
24th April 2017, 02:17
Can't wait until he nails it and proves the naysayers wrong.

fmatiasii
24th April 2017, 08:36
McLaren CEO Zak Brown says he wants to see the team compete at the Indy 500 "every year", not just at this year's edition with Fernando Alonso.

Alonso is being allowed to miss the Monaco Grand Prix on May 28 to compete in a McLaren entry, powered by Honda and run by Andretti Autosport, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Newly-installed CEO Brown was the architect behind the move as he plans to expand the iconic team's racing portfolio in the coming years.

Brown insists he does not view Alonso's participation as a one-off.

"I would like to see McLaren-Honda competing at Indianapolis every year," Brown said. "Originally I thought this was an idea we could pursue in 2018 and given the circumstances of how we are running in Formula 1 right now, and Fernando's desire and our desire, and Honda's desire, this created a very, very small window of opportunity that we jumped on.

"McLaren is a big fan of IndyCar racing, we think it's fantastic motorsports and I've personally been around it my whole life so I'm very excited on a personal level to be here. And we had just enough time to do this very properly. When I called Mark [Miles, CEO of IndyCar], and ultimately Michael [Andretti, Andretti Autosport boss] it was good that he was already far down the road with the car, because we need to be competitive. The whole idea is to run at the front of the field."

Brown travelled with Alonso to Alabama's Barber Motorsports Park at the weekend for the IndyCar round, meeting with Andretti Autosport and giving the Spaniard the chance to sit in a car for the first time. With Alonso due to have a private test on May 3, several days after the Russian Grand Prix, Brown says the team is doing everything to ensure the Spaniard gets the maximum amount of experience for the event.

"We have good preparation. We've brought in [2003 Indy 500 winner] Gil de Ferran to assist Fernando in learning his way around Indianapolis.

Yeah, I'd like to see McLaren here on a more regular basis. And would we do it with Fernando again? Absolutely. I hope that we have the problem of Monaco and Indy in the same weekend and we are fighting for the championship.

"So what happens in 2018? We'll have to wait and see, because obviously we're working very hard to get Fernando and Stoffel Vandoorne a much more competitive [Formula One] car than we are producing right now."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/19230383/mclaren-wants-do-indy-500-every-year

jgonzalesm6
24th April 2017, 09:22
Renault F1 team won't be 'crazy' trying to sign Fernando Alonso

Renault will not make "crazy" promises to lure Fernando Alonso back to its Formula 1 team for 2018, insisting it wants drivers committed for the long term.

Amid his current frustrations at McLaren-Honda, Alonso has been linked to a return to the Renault team where he won the 2005/06 championships.

But Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul warned Alonso would have to be patient at Enstone.

"I am not here to pull off a one-off coup with someone, I am not living in the past," Abiteboul told Autosport when asked if Renault would be ready for a driver such as Alonso in 2018.

"I started working in F1 when Flavio [Briatore] and Fernando were in this group together at Enstone, so I am emotionally touched by this period.

"But equally circumstances have changed, we need also to have a final line-up that will be the right one for the future.

"I don't think next year we will be in a position to fight for the championship.

"So we need a driver who can support us in this ultimate fight for the championship, but be prepared to wait for the time to come for this to happen."

Abiteboul thinks top-line drivers are more of an asset when a team is in title contention.

"There is not a driver who will move you from 'group two' to 'group one', that is for sure," he said.

"I think we are moving towards a driver formula rather than a team/car formula.

"If you look at our development, hopefully we will be in a position to be part of the top teams in two years' time.

"Then the regulations will have stabilised, and everyone will have sort of converged.

"And by that point it will be crucial, it will be paramount, to have a driver who is capable of making that sort of last contribution to be the best.

"But we don't intend to do crazy things because we know our situation and we need to project ourself in time."

Alonso has agreed with McLaren not to commit elsewhere until they hold talks in the summer, and Renault wants time to judge current drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer too.

"We need to be fair to our line-up, I need to see how our line-up is performing and delivering," Abiteboul said.

Hulkenberg has impressed in his first three grands prix with Renault and is on a long-term deal.

"With Nico we have turned it into a long-term programme and we understand where we are going," Abiteboul added.

"We have been very transparent about what will be our situation this year, but he also knows what we are doing in order to be in a better situation in years to come.

"But Nico is at a point in his career where he is capable of projecting himself to a certain point of time."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129134/renault-wont-be-crazy-trying-to-lure-alonso

jgonzalesm6
2nd May 2017, 20:46
for those interested in watching Alonso test at Indy tomorrow....live stream link

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05-02-Alonso-test-live-show

Stormy
3rd May 2017, 11:16
After watching some Indy this season, Honda doesn't look that great. It looks like Chevy has the edge over them. Having said that, i don't expect much of Alonso now...

fmatiasii
3rd May 2017, 13:19
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/19300296/fernando-alonso-indy-500-helmet-car-livery-revealed

WS6TransAm01
3rd May 2017, 13:24
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/19300296/fernando-alonso-indy-500-helmet-car-livery-revealed

Is #14 taken? Would have been cool for him to race in Indy under his F1 number.

jgonzalesm6
3rd May 2017, 13:34
Alonso's official Indy Helmet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BToWz1MFkU1/

jgonzalesm6
3rd May 2017, 13:36
AAAAAANNNNNNDDDDD the Mclaren IndyCar....which will be easy to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-PL7jrLbFo

Stormy
3rd May 2017, 15:01
He did the first stint with an over 208 mph. So far things looking good.

Update: 219 mph now.

SilverSpeed
3rd May 2017, 18:00
Did it broke down? :-D

jgonzalesm6
3rd May 2017, 22:25
Alonso "vaporizing" two birds on the track video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2p2Mae49Ns

Alonso post - Press Conference (Tests at Indianapolis Motor Speedway) (McLaren Honda/Andretti) (24min 27sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of5VUO7osCM

I did'nt know an F1 car takes about 6 min. to "start-up" and an IndyCar you just get in and go...interesting. Also, he has alot of respect of the speed going flat out at over 220mph in an oval which means alot.

Tifoso
3rd May 2017, 23:27
My thoughts exactly. With his luck, the moment he joins renault, the McLaren will start winning. Think he should stay put. Honda are not that bad that they cannot get an engine right.

Sure hope not. :-)

Rob
4th May 2017, 08:29
Alonso Passes Indy's Rookie Test With No Issues
Fernando Alonso took just 51 laps to finish Indy's orientation program.

Fernando Alonso's first foray on the 2.5-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval went as smoothly as possible for the two-time Formula 1 world champion. The 35-year-old Spaniard, driving the No. 29 Andretti/McLaren Dallara DW12-Honda, posted 51 laps Wednesday morning at the legendary home of the Indy 500 as he completed all of the required phases of the Rookie Orientation Program.

"It was fun," said Alonso, who turned a best lap of 219.654mph. "It's a good way to start to build the speed. Probably a little bit difficult in the beginning to reach the minimum, the next stages felt good. Now, hopefully we can put some laps and start feeling a little bit of the car because at the moment the car is driving myself; I'm not driving the car."

Alonso's team followed the standard practice for first timers at Indy by piling plenty of downforce onto the cars. With the No. 29 car plenty stable in the corners, Alonso was quick to note how aerodynamics were indeed governing his ability to run closer to the 230mph average that will be required once official practice gets under way on May 15.

"I do feel more comfortable," Alonso added after making multiple ROP runs at specific speed ranges mandated by the Verizon IndyCar Series. "Not because of the speed; just because of the laps. You are already with 30 laps [of focus], 40 laps [of focus], you are able to find tune a little bit the lines, the upshifts, the downshifts, which gear to use in which corner. At the moment everything looks good. Now it's time to start the real thing."

Cut loose to try running above the 220mph barrier, Alonso acknowledged the solo lapping during a test will be nothing like running in a pack with 32 other drivers during the 101st Indy 500 on May 28.

"So far it has been good," he said. "Running alone is quite OK; we'll see later on the next weeks."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a33373/alonso-passed-indys-rookie-test-with-no-issues/

Stormsearcher
5th May 2017, 04:57
Hope he wins it!!! He is the most complete driver around and there should be a record of it.
Unfortunately his luck in F1 has not been kind to him.

IulianFerrari
5th May 2017, 20:21
Is this the one where if you just steer the wheel a little to the left and put a brick on the acceleration pedal, you can fall asleep and still have a chance of winning?

Rosso Corsa
5th May 2017, 23:12
Is this the one where if you just steer the wheel a little to the left and put a brick on the acceleration pedal, you can fall asleep and still have a chance of winning?
If you turn off damage, tyre wear and fuel, yes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FerrariF60
6th May 2017, 02:46

YUP, that is the one.....lololol

i can never get into that, especially the OVAL track.....booooorinnngggggg

Rob
6th May 2017, 09:24
YUP, that is the one.....lololol

i can never get into that, especially the OVAL track.....booooorinnngggggg

Boring? could say the same with some of, if most of F1 tracks. There is alot of skill going on to drive IndyCar on an oval in pack racing. Got the turbulent air of the cars in front, from the sides. All upsetting the car in the corners. Juts because, "all they do is turn left" doesnt mean theres no driver skill going on. Just the blinkered look at other motorsport forms from F1 fans. I took those blickers off years ago.

IulianFerrari
6th May 2017, 10:06
Boring? could say the same with some of, if most of F1 tracks. There is alot of skill going on to drive IndyCar on an oval in pack racing. Got the turbulent air of the cars in front, from the sides. All upsetting the car in the corners. Juts because, "all they do is turn left" doesnt mean theres no driver skill going on. Just the blinkered look at other motorsport forms from F1 fans. I took those blickers off years ago.

What corners, if you leave the right window down enough wind can come to make the steering wheel go a little to the left and make "the corner"? :rotfl. Running in a circle looks stupid to me. Of course when more cars are involved there is going to be trouble, but that would happen even on a straight line.

Rob
6th May 2017, 10:26
What corners, if you leave the right window down enough wind can come to make the steering wheel go a little to the left and make "the corner"? :rotfl. Running in a circle looks stupid to me. Of course when more cars are involved there is going to be trouble, but that would happen even on a straight line.

going round any track is going round in circles, is it not?

enjaybel3
6th May 2017, 11:00
going round any track is going round in circles, is it not?

Agreed. A substantial amount of Monza is like this also isn't it?

Stormy
6th May 2017, 11:06
Oval racing should not be underestimated. They are racing flat out in heavy traffic. One mistake and you end up in the wall at over 220mph. Besides, IndyCar is mixed with track circuits so those drivers are skilled as an F1 driver. Also, i'm not really sure an F1 car is harder to drive with all those electronics inside.

Greig
6th May 2017, 17:52
Oval racing should not be underestimated. They are racing flat out in heavy traffic. One mistake and you end up in the wall at over 220mph. Besides, IndyCar is mixed with track circuits so those drivers are skilled as an F1 driver. Also, i'm not really sure an F1 car is harder to drive with all those electronics inside.

What electronics help driving? Anyway I remember Lauda saying much the same then went out on track and spun it countless times....LOL

Stormy
6th May 2017, 22:18
What electronics help driving? Anyway I remember Lauda saying much the same then went out on track and spun it countless times....LOL

To be honest, i don't really know. Alonso mentioned something on the Indy 500 press conference that F1 drivers had help from electronics. I think he mentioned power steering.

aroutis
6th May 2017, 22:39
I never understood Indy as a challenge compared to F1 tbh.

erikejw
7th May 2017, 10:49
Move this thread to motorsport forum ?!

If Alonso don't want to compete in Monaco, the race McLaren has best chances to make decent points he is tuning out of F1, for now at least.

It will be interesting to see how he fares with those underdeveloped cars. I am sure he would do great if he had more time.

Stormy
7th May 2017, 13:12
Move this thread to motorsport forum ?!

If Alonso don't want to compete in Monaco, the race McLaren has best chances to make decent points he is tuning out of F1, for now at least.

It will be interesting to see how he fares with those underdeveloped cars. I am sure he would do great if he had more time.

I think he'll do OK at least. I predict 7-8 place if he doesn't crash. Who knows though, maybe he will surprise and end up on podium. I strongly doubt he can win though, the competition is just too strong. After all, FA never raced on ovals before.

jgonzalesm6
8th May 2017, 23:19
Timo Glock for a "seat" fit......making a comeback to F1...:-E:-E:Hmm

"realglocktimoHappy to announce after a positive start in to 2017 @dtm_motorsport season i got straight a call from F1 Team for a seat fit! Will let you know soon which one will be the first race! Still in talks ��#F1 #f1comeback #comebackstronger"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1lVtKDJYY/?hl=en

Stormy
9th May 2017, 00:10
Timo Glock for a "seat" fit......making a comeback to F1...:-E:-E:Hmm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1lVtKDJYY/?hl=en
No way haha. Maybe some team called him to do a promo run or something.

Rob
18th May 2017, 08:08
Carpenter tops Day 3 practice, Alonso jumps up to fourth

Ed Carpenter topped the third day of Indianapolis 500 practice, but all eyes were on Fernando Alonso as he leapt to fourth fastest late in the day.

Strong winds meant that far fewer laps were turned on Wednesday than on previous days – and speeds were slower than usual too.

Carpenter set the fastest lap of the day in his Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet with an hour remaining, lapping at 222.894mph.

He said: "I'm happy with the car, happy with the handling and I'm feeling comfortable. We knew it was going to be challenging to go out there with all the wind, but that's why I thought it would be a good idea. We could have these conditions on raceday."

Scott Dixon was second quickest for Chip Ganassi Racing, and top Honda runner, with a speed of 222.599mph – his laptime just 0.0536s down on Carpenter. JR Hildebrand was third fastest in ECR’s second entry.

McLaren Honda Andretti’s Alonso began to move up the speed charts with 40 minutes to go, a 218.375mph effort that put him seventh, eight tenths off Carpenter’s fastest lap.

He then ran again, 10 minutes later, and found another two tenths to leap up to fourth fastest at 219.533mph.

AJ Foyt Racing's trio, Conor Daly, Carlos Munoz and rookie Zach Veach grabbed fifth, seventh and eighth fastest, with Max Chilton sixth in the second-fastest Ganassi entry. Teammate Charlie Kimball was ninth and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda's one-off third car for Jay Howard was 10th.

Veach turned 46 laps, more than anyone bar the ECR duo.

Only 14 cars turned meaningful laps with Tony Kanaan, Graham Rahal, Mikhail Aleshin and James Hinchcliffe completing fewer than 10 each.

stefa
21st May 2017, 13:51
What an UGLY car!!!!

DIEK
21st May 2017, 20:54
http://i.imgur.com/Nduu91z.gif

DIEK
21st May 2017, 22:43
https://gifyu.com/images/vlcsnap-2017-05-21-23h54m05s254.png

Takuma Sato side by side... :doh

jgonzalesm6
21st May 2017, 23:36

awesome job by Alonso

jgonzalesm6
21st May 2017, 23:49

3 of the top 5 were F1 drivers.

jgonzalesm6
22nd May 2017, 09:49
Engine boost issue cost Fernando Alonso shot at Indy 500 pole

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/19435082/engine-boost-issue-cost-fernando-alonso-shot-indy-500-pole

jgonzalesm6
24th May 2017, 20:55
New images of 'NEXT' car for Verizon IndyCar Series unveiled ------ 2018

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05-24-New-car-images-2018

DIEK
27th May 2017, 21:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj9SyKOokJs

http://i.imgur.com/EX7YTW6.jpg

:rotfl

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 09:23
Rain looks to be in the forecast today for todays race.

Seb
28th May 2017, 16:18
I'm really excited for this!!

Seb
28th May 2017, 16:28
Going backwards already!!!

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 16:31
Going backwards already!!!

he is having issues with the fuel mapping

Seb
28th May 2017, 16:32
he is having issues with the fuel mapping

Aw for real? ):

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 16:34
Aw for real? ):

yup....team radio got him str8 now.

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 16:36
Indy500 security...one of several snipers

Seb
28th May 2017, 16:44
Come on Alonso !!

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 16:51
Come on Alonso !!

so far he is doing well....3rd....alot pitted though

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 16:54
wow, Alonso leading...

wappad
28th May 2017, 16:56
wow, Alonso leading...

Our old 'champion' :clap

I lov'it:thumb

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 16:57
wow, Alonso leading...

yup....now team-mates (rossi) will leap-frog each other and build a gap from the group.

SilverSpeed
28th May 2017, 16:57
Where are you guys watching?

Seb
28th May 2017, 16:58
BT Sport

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 16:59
http://nl.vipleague.me/motorsports/479904/1/indy-grand-prix-indianapolis-500-live-stream-online.html

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 17:00
all f1 drivers makin it a 3 way....rossi, alonso, and sato

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 17:05
crash ....howard and dixon

both drivers are okay...red flag

wappad
28th May 2017, 17:07
crash ....howard and dixon

Wow.. Lucky lucky escape...

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 17:09
yeah, lucky to be alive after that crash

Christopher
28th May 2017, 17:16
Dixon onboard camara was scary as

Seb
28th May 2017, 17:17
That was terrifying

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 17:18
what engine Alonso has and what is top speed for these cars

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 17:20
what engine Alonso has and what is top speed for these cars

Honda...top speed 230mph/370kph

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 17:22
really, Honda

wappad
28th May 2017, 17:26
Can you believe it :-)

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 17:27
really, Honda

lol.....yup...the front 3 before the crash are all Honda Andretti Motorsport cars. This is a turbo engine only so its not as complex as the F1 engine.

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 17:30
I am guessing that Alonso is gonna lose lead after start...

wappad
28th May 2017, 17:31
There we go again with Fernando in the lead..Oh my god, if he could do this...:-)

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 17:37
I am guessing that Alonso is gonna lose lead after start...

leap-frog again to gain the gap

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 17:41
safety car

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 17:41
daly on the outside....hits the wall

SilverSpeed
28th May 2017, 17:50
Damn those crashes looks awfull.

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 17:50
now with restart Alonso can take few positions back and Sato lose lead

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 18:08
Alonso is driving great

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 18:11
Alonso is driving great

yep....commentators here are somewhat impressed by him being he is a rookie

wappad
28th May 2017, 18:22
yep....commentators here are somewhat impressed by him being he is a rookie

The same here in the Netherlands :-). Robert Doornbos is one of the commentators. Very impressed he is and already used the word 'historical' :thumb.

Hope Fernando continues his great drive.

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 18:35
if Alonso does not make any mistake, then he has a good chance to be in podium, even win is possible?

DIEK
28th May 2017, 18:43
if Alonso does not make any mistake, then he has a good chance to be in podium, even win is possible?

Complicated, but who knows...

http://i67.tinypic.com/ilkhhc.jpg

:roll

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 18:44

yup....last 5 laps will be interesting as team-mates will be out the window...everyman for himself.

wappad
28th May 2017, 18:48
Leading the restart..Come on Fernando :clap

Seb
28th May 2017, 18:50
Come on Alonso !!

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 18:52
ryan hunter ray out of the race....smoke..Honda

wappad
28th May 2017, 18:52
Oops..Hunter-Reay..:-s

Schumiklub
28th May 2017, 18:53
Honda blew up, what a surprise, lol [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb
28th May 2017, 18:54
As long as Alonso's doesn't blow I don't care!!

wappad
28th May 2017, 18:58
Rossi far back in the pack..

abbottcostello
28th May 2017, 18:59
Just got home & turned the race on! I was listening on the radio on the way & all I heard was Alonso this, Alonso that - lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket. :lol

I gotta say he sure looks a natural for this Indycar, what a stellar restart

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 19:16
Just got home & turned the race on! I was listening on the radio on the way & all I heard was Alonso this, Alonso that - lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket. :lol

I gotta say he sure looks a natural for this Indycar, what a stellar restart

yup....he has impressed so far

Seb
28th May 2017, 19:18
Big up Max Chilton...

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 19:21
Kimball smokes....another Honda

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 19:26
Alonso P7 now?

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 19:33
anyways...great race by Fernando

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 19:34
alonso is out...smoke..honda

abbottcostello
28th May 2017, 19:34
UGH!!

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 19:36
Standing ovations to Fernando, nice crowd

Red is Best
28th May 2017, 19:36
Honda letting him down again...
I must say I'm disappointed I was rooting for him.

abbottcostello
28th May 2017, 19:37
Honda power, can't say he's not used to it... Dang:-??

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 19:38
sucks.....bummer

wappad
28th May 2017, 19:38
Such a shame..:-s

Great job from Fernando. What a race he delivered..

Hope you will be back here champion :clap

Ed Harley
28th May 2017, 19:39
Oh no. :-D

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 19:40
major crash

KimiBot
gotta love this racing

Christopher
As if Chiltons going to win

abbottcostello
28th May 2017, 19:59
Great radio by Sato :rotfl

jgonzalesm6
28th May 2017, 20:00
Takuma Sato wins

KimiBot
28th May 2017, 20:00
Great race, I am loving it, Ferrari should be there too

abbottcostello
28th May 2017, 20:05
Wear this, put this around your neck, drink this, get a kiss from Miss Indy(?), get down & kiss the bricks... and I thought the race was the tough part!

F2008
28th May 2017, 20:52
Very impressive race by Alonso!

DIEK
28th May 2017, 21:28
It has been a bit cruel ending, but for a few hours, I have felt again the excitement of the motor competition, thanks to Alonso.

Seb
28th May 2017, 21:33
I believe this is probably the last straw for Alonso and Honda... I can't imagine what was going through his mind

DIEK
28th May 2017, 22:13
I believe this is probably the last straw for Alonso and Honda... I can't imagine what was going through his mind

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/sekuzo/chopsFC/alonsocabezado_zpsjasz9qgj.gif

Liscia
29th May 2017, 01:17
Sato's Honda made it and was operated by the same Andretti organization that set Alonso up. Great first oval drive by our ex and I watched ONLY because he was participating. His luck really SUCKS though he still "doesn't regret leaving Ferrari because he's learning so much from his hardships at McLaren-Honda". He now knows the lesson that before you win you must first finish, something Honda isn't very good at doing................

HAPPY to see Sato take it though as he never had much success in F1. FORZA TAKUMA!

gmpe23
29th May 2017, 20:56
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/sekuzo/chopsFC/alonsocabezado_zpsjasz9qgj.gif

:rotfl

DIEK
29th May 2017, 22:30
https://s13.postimg.org/6jclozk53/ezgif-2-f19226d0d0.gif

SS454
30th May 2017, 00:12
Alonso made the Indy 500 a race worth watching. I had no doubt his skill was enough he could do the race without embarrassment, but he seriously looked like an Ace out there. Sure he was amongst the best team, but he legit had a chance to win.

But leave it to Honda to let him down again. When he won his 2 championships with Renault against Ferrari, I wasn't a fan. But now, I can't help be saddened at seeing such a great talent be wasted in crap cars.

jgonzalesm6
30th May 2017, 02:44
Alonso made the Indy 500 a race worth watching. I had no doubt his skill was enough he could do the race without embarrassment, but he seriously looked like an Ace out there. Sure he was amongst the best team, but he legit had a chance to win.

But leave it to Honda to let him down again. When he won his 2 championships with Renault against Ferrari, I wasn't a fan. But now, I can't help be saddened at seeing such a great talent be wasted in crap cars.

Well said and agree. As much as I talked about his "toxicity" with his F1 teams of his past, the way he represented himself during the pre/post/banquet conferences/dinner while at Indy was "a class act" all the way around; humble, sincere, happy. The way the fans (most probably have no idea about who he really is - just some spaniard coming from F1) gave him a standing ovation when the Honda crapped out on him and he exited out of the car was truly and eye-opener of acceptance and applause for at least trying Indy. While on the track, he looked poised and patient....he looked like a natural at Indy. He brought so much media attention to Indy as a horde of jounalists/photographers were always with him. The other guys at Indy considered themselves "the other 32." Then there are the other 32 guys at Indy that accepted him with open arms and gave him the respect on the track....the whole event was spectacular on all levels of motorsport racing from an North American aspect as well as a global aspect. I don't know if you or I will ever witness such granduer in motorsport racing that just took place at the Indy500. He should return.

SS454
31st May 2017, 04:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liyj9JaSlFY

Aberracus
31st May 2017, 11:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liyj9JaSlFY

He is just great inside and outside of the car, just great.

Tifoso
31st May 2017, 23:12

Including, sadly, ours :-s

Tifoso
31st May 2017, 23:18

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!