PDA

View Full Version : Formula E Thread

Rob
2nd December 2017, 13:06
Well, its been 4 years, i must admit i have only ever watched, oooooo maybe 4 races in all. Been bit "snobby" because of the whole electric thing. But, hey its exciting racing, and top class drivers and manufacturers. So, this season i will make an effort to watch and follow more, especially as Sam is racing. I know he been in the series since year 1.

Rob
2nd December 2017, 13:07
Bird: "that was a really crazy race"

"That was a really crazy race - I'm finding it hard to process what just happened," said Virgin DS Racing's Sam Bird, still fresh from the race. Claiming the first victory of Season Four of the FIA Formula E Championship here in Hong Kong, Bird defied all odds and worked his way around a number of obstacles - including a hefty eight-second penalty - to finish on top of the standings.

"It was a simple error," claimed Bird, who picked up the time penalty after overshooting the pitbox when switching to his second car. "It was a drivethrough, I served my penalty and I thought I'd come out in P7 or P8, or something like that but I got on the radio ...and they said you're in P1... I'd never in a million years expected that."

Having started in second place, Bird managed to sneak past poleman Vergne in the first half of the race. "He's a super tough competitor and he's not going to let me past easily but it was fair and there was enough room, so I was able to get through," he said. After a delay in the opening minutes due to a red flag, caused by Vergne's teammate Andre Lotterer hitting a wall on Turn 3, the racing was back underway, with only a minor stall on track for Renault e.dams driver Sebastien Buemi following a technical failure.

Watching all the action from the wings was former Formula One World Champion Nico Rosberg, who made a guest appearance at the circuit. "I've been following Formula E - it has an amazing future," said Rosberg. Despite having retired from racing after winning the 2016 Grand Prix for Mercedes, Rosberg admitted he's "open to explore" what the possibilities are in Formula E, "I'm very interested."

Back on track, Vergne's frenzied hot lap during the Super Pole shoot-out in Qualifying, saw him clip the wall, spin round and cross the line backwards but - believe it or not - he still managed to walk away with the Julius Baer Pole Position. Hats off to the Frenchman who ended up claiming a well-deserved second place for the Chinese TECHEETAH team on home soil. "I'm second in the championship and I'm here for the long run, so I wasn't going to do anything silly with sam," said Vergne. With Bird out in the lead, Vergne and Mahindra Racing's Nick Heidfeld were left to battle it out between them but Hiedfield failed to pass, despite his best efforts.

For Audi Sport Abt Shaeffler driver and reigning champion Lucas di Grassi, it wasn't quite the race he'd hoped for. Picking up damage during the first half of the race, di Grassi was forced into an early car swap to finish the race just two places from the bottom.

With a total of five new faces on the grid, Round One proved to be a steep but encouraging learning curve for newcomer Andretti Formula E driver Kamui Kobayashi. "I was struggling with radio communication and I left a lot of energy. It was not brilliant but this race was very important ahead of tomorrow," he said. Having claimed 29 per cent of the votes on FANBOOST, the Japanese ex-Formula One driver had won over the crowd before he'd even left the pits. For NIO Formula E Team's new rookie driver Luca Filippi, "it was quite a chaotic race but good fun for the people watching." After a good start, Filippi was hampered by a drivethrough penalty, which set him back, finishing eleventh overall.

Both Venturi Formula E's Maro Engel and Mahindra Racing's Felix Rosenqvist picked up 22-second time penalties - to be applied after tomorrow's race - for using 190kW during the race - 10kW over the 180kW allowance for Season Four.

"We didn't expect to dominate Round One, but I'll take that," said Bird, merrily - before the news of his ten grid penalty, clearly. Tomorrow, the British driver will need to summon everything to claw his way back to the front. But, of course, tomorrow is another day and all 20 drivers will be fighting for a place on the podium as we prepare for Round Two of the HKT Hong Kong E-Prix.

Missed today's race? It's okay - we've got you covered with our broadcast guide. Don't forget to tune in for tomorrow's race at 3:00pm (local time).

Rob
2nd December 2017, 13:11
Just now watching the race, wheres all the fans?

Rob
2nd December 2017, 13:30
http://i63.tinypic.com/n381g7.jpg

wisepie
2nd December 2017, 17:10
Thanks for starting this thread, Rob, I'm sure a lot of us will be forced to get used to electric racing cars in the future, the races tend to be pretty competitive with some great drivers and increasing manufacturer support. Come on Ferrari, or maybe Maserati, then we'll have Ferrari, Alfa and Maserati in top-line racing!:thumb

racingbradley
7th December 2017, 09:04
. Come on Ferrari, or maybe Maserati, then we'll have Ferrari, Alfa and Maserati in top-line racing!:thumb

Thank you Rob for setting up this thread. Now its up to us to use it and start some discussion.
I find FE exciting, close racing but of course the whine of the cars is a bit annoying until you get used to it.
what I like is you don't expect any particular driver to win even though he may be in the front row.
I know Marchionne has had a look at the series and said Ferrari/Fiat will not be joining in the near future but maybe when the series has grown up (or something like that)
I would love to see a Maserati or Fiat badged car in the series piloted by one Felipe Massa :-D
As for the fans we don't get any shots of them during the race but they must be somewhere behind the barriers as they are certainly there when the boys go to the podium. :-)
I hope that one day soon this series will have evolved so that we will see some races on a proper track.

Brembo
7th December 2017, 23:08
de Grassi, Piquet Jr. , hopefully Felipe Massa soon! Miami !! My home away from home.

racingbradley
8th December 2017, 09:29
de Grassi, Piquet Jr. , hopefully Felipe Massa soon! Miami !! My home away from home.

Both those have won the series Piquet in the first season and De Grassi is the current champion!!!!! And the least we say about Piquet Jr the better Brembo!!!!!!;-) :oops

Brembo
8th December 2017, 22:16
Both those have won the series Piquet in the first season and De Grassi is the current champion!!!!! And the least we say about Piquet Jr the better Brembo!!!!!!;-) :oops

The least , for sure! You have a great memory! There's a lot to get used to from F1 to F-E but it's the future for sure. Two cars per driver for ex. I'm not sure, do they change tires at all ? They use Michelin I believe.

racingbradley
9th December 2017, 09:43
The least , for sure! You have a great memory! There's a lot to get used to from F1 to F-E but it's the future for sure. Two cars per driver for ex. I'm not sure, do they change tires at all ? They use Michelin I believe.

Singapore 2008 is a day I won't forget. After the race I joined TSN as I needed to chat with other Felipe fans. :-s
Some nice touches in FE eg the car swap is good to watch. I also like 3 points for pole and 1 for the fastest lap. Apart from that the points system is the same as F1.There is no separate tyre change just the complete car which is so good to watch .......those boys certainly are fit!!!!
Try this and if you cannot load let me know and I will copy and paste. :-)

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/regulations/

Brembo
9th December 2017, 10:25
R Bradley thank you !! I give you a " Formula E Fan Boost! " Now I won't have to drive you crazy asking what's going on every race.

Rob
9th December 2017, 12:30
The car change may change next year or year after. They working on the battery capacity so the charge would last all race. But, to be honest, if they do make them to last, i think it would take away part of the "show" its good they swap cars.

racingbradley
9th December 2017, 13:59
The car change may change next year or year after. They working on the battery capacity so the charge would last all race. But, to be honest, if they do make them to last, i think it would take away part of the "show" its good they swap cars.
I so agree Rob I love the car swap and marvel at the speed they get in, steering wheel in place and buckled into the second car.
I too have read they are developing a battery that should last the race. The only positive I would get from that is maybe they could start using a proper race track in some countries.
I like the fanboost as its nice to interact and give your favourite a bit of help maybe. :-)

wisepie
9th December 2017, 17:13
I so agree Rob I love the car swap and marvel at the speed they get in, steering wheel in place and buckled into the second car.
I too have read they are developing a battery that should last the race. The only positive I would get from that is maybe they could start using a proper race track in some countries.
I like the fanboost as its nice to interact and give your favourite a bit of help maybe. :-)

racingbradley, Brembo has given you a fan-boost already so you're in pole position to lead us Felipe fans into this new era of motorsport, let's hope we will be able to cheer him on in this formula some day soon.;-)

racingbradley
10th December 2017, 09:50
Sarcasm Wisepie from one soooooo young :lol ;-)

Rob
10th December 2017, 11:23
racingbradley, Brembo has given you a fan-boost already so you're in pole position to lead us Felipe fans into this new era of motorsport, let's hope we will be able to cheer him on in this formula some day soon.;-)

Have read that Felipe is doing some Brazilian stock car racing next year.

Rob
10th December 2017, 11:44

Its a nice touch with fan interactation. For the cars to run around proper tracks, i think they would need to bolt on fair bit more DF. The cars are well suited for point on squirt street tracks. Which are also narrow, my main concern would be proper race tracks, could see the field more spread out and lessen the action we get now on street tracks.

Also, R Bradley, i have text Sam asking if he wouldnt mind answer couple questions about Formula E. He may do it, just incase, if you got a question you like me to pass on to him, PM me and i will ask.

wisepie
10th December 2017, 16:52
The fan interaction certainly gives FE another dimension and I agree that using street tracks is their best domain. Rob, watch out for racingbradley's reaction to your offer, I am sure any questions will be suitably fruity, but it's very kind of you and gets us nearer to the action, in readiness for Felipe's possible involvement!!;-)

racingbradley
13th December 2017, 10:08
Also, R Bradley, i have text Sam asking if he wouldnt mind answer couple questions about Formula E. He may do it, just incase, if you got a question you like me to pass on to him, PM me and i will ask.
Thank you Rob for the kind offer & I appreciate getting information from a current driver.:-D
ATM I cannot think of a single question I would like to ask Sam. I'm sure as the season progresses something will spring to mind.

Rob
22nd December 2017, 19:28
Thank you Rob for the kind offer & I appreciate getting information from a current driver.:-D
ATM I cannot think of a single question I would like to ask Sam. I'm sure as the season progresses something will spring to mind.

He said later in season.

Listened to Midweekmotorsport (RadioLeMans.com) Wednesday night they had a good bit about FE, mainly because of the Montreal race being dropped. But, they mentioned the reason FE do not go to proper race tracks, is because they also want to be different, but the downside is, race promotors got pay massive fees to turn city streets into rae track and have the facilities. The Candian firm that was backing the FE race, pulled out because the ticket sales was under half that was said would be sold. Half of those were given away free, and the TV numbers were no near what they were told would be aswell.

Brembo
23rd December 2017, 10:54
FE needs the likes of Stroll to drive! It's unfortunately all about $$$$. At least FE has that in common with F1.

Rob
23rd December 2017, 11:58
FE needs the likes of Stroll to drive! It's unfortunately all about $$$$. At least FE has that in common with F1.

give it a rest seriously mate.

Brembo
24th December 2017, 04:11
give it a rest seriously mate.

Just joking ! $$ means nothing to F1 or FE ! They can easily survive on the clean air the driver who's up front in 1st pos. has going for him. Any fan here who mentions $$ as a factor in F1 is wrong. Read the above.

Rob
24th December 2017, 13:56
Just joking ! $$ means nothing to F1 or FE ! They can easily survive on the clean air the driver who's up front in 1st pos. has going for him. Any fan here who mentions $$ as a factor in F1 is wrong. Read the above.

Sorry for derailing thread, but the issues you have with "pay drivers" stroll, Todt, Schuey, Brawn and anyone else been harsh to Massa and Rubens is getting old and boring.

You say you Ferrari fan, but the years of Todt and Schuey bought Ferrari so much success, but you still bitter. Get over it. Stop trying to find something to moan about for a driver being unfairly treated. F1 has always been about money, so will anyother race series. Just that F1 you need millions. My friend Josh Webster nearly got a drive for Jota LMP2 few years ago, but ouldnt get 2 million fee, his backers could only get 1.7 million. But, he went on to race RenualtRS01 car in 24hr series, he also Porsche factory driver.

jgonzalesm6
24th December 2017, 19:08
At least FE has that in common with F1.

Does it really???

FE costs the manufacturers anywhere from $3 to $5 million USD to make a car.

F1 costs manufacturers close to half a billion to make a car.

Its costs manufacturers a fraction to make an FE car than it does to make an F1 car. So yes, it all about the money as in reducing cost but nowhere near the realm of F1 and what F1 pays it drivers. Some F1 purists look at FE as a sport for has-beens or not F1 caliber material.

anyways....I can't watch FE. I have tried and its way more boring than F1's hybrid era formula. Has'nt grown on me.

Rob
24th December 2017, 21:40
Does it really???

FE costs the manufacturers anywhere from $3 to $5 million USD to make a car.

F1 costs manufacturers close to half a billion to make a car.

Its costs manufacturers a fraction to make an FE car than it does to make an F1 car. So yes, it all about the money as in reducing cost but nowhere near the realm of F1 and what F1 pays it drivers. Some F1 purists look at FE as a sport for has-beens or not F1 caliber material.

anyways....I can't watch FE. I have tried and its way more boring than F1's hybrid era formula. Has'nt grown on me.

Has been drivers? not on F1 caliber? serioulsy?

Right, FE is something completely different. They trying not to be on the same "caliber" as F1. This is another thing with F1, sorry this FE thread and we talking F1 and rights and wrongs. F1 fans, see F1 as the "pinnacle" of motorsport. Anything outside is nothing, boring and not high tech or good racing. F1 drivers best in the world, well thats just :rotfl F1 fans, are way way way way to snobby, narrow sighted.

Yes, ok FE isnt to everyones taste, but to call the drivers has beens, is just insulting.

Brembo
25th December 2017, 08:51
Sorry for derailing thread, but the issues you have with "pay drivers" stroll, Todt, Schuey, Brawn and anyone else been harsh to Massa and Rubens is getting old and boring.

You say you Ferrari fan, but the years of Todt and Schuey bought Ferrari so much success, but you still bitter. Get over it. Stop trying to find something to moan about for a driver being unfairly treated. F1 has always been about money, so will anyother race series. Just that F1 you need millions. My friend Josh Webster nearly got a drive for Jota LMP2 few years ago, but ouldnt get 2 million fee, his backers could only get 1.7 million. But, he went on to race RenualtRS01 car in 24hr series, he also Porsche factory driver.

Rob, you more than anyone need to forget and stop moaning about the past posts. Get over it. Bringing up Todt , Rubens, Ross on a FE thread is your doing , not anyone else. I only mentioned FE with regards to also being about money as is F1 and you told me to give it a rest. Two cars per driver, the batteries must cost a fortune. Especially getting street tracks ready for a racing event. Then there's the drivers pay. I'm going to take a chance and bring up Felipe's name only in the hopes of him joining FE. I wonder if a driver has a crash, can he jump into his 2nd car?

racingbradley
25th December 2017, 18:38
. I wonder if a driver has a crash, can he jump into his 2nd car?

Yes he can Brembo but if it's early on in the race his battery will run out before the end so he's compromised.
On the other hand if it should happen round about the middle of the race then no problem!!!!:-)

racingbradley
25th December 2017, 18:55
I have tried and its way more boring than F1's hybrid era formula. Has'nt grown on me.
Oh dear you are going to be in a pickle in a few years time when we all go all electric. :-)
Formula 1 (which I love) unless it moves with the age we are in will join the dodos. It really needs some serious updating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the drivers do you really think drivers such as Sam Bird, Sebastian Buemi, Luca DeGrassi and others are has beens??????????????????????
Are you really aware of the calibre of the drivers in FE or should I say eprix which is the more current name for it.
The big boys ie the manufacturers such as Mercedes and Porsche are very interested in getting in with the act alongside Audi, Jaguar, Renault etc.
David Coulthard, Felipe Massa and Nico Rosburg were interested enough to go and watch a race. If they can enjoy it there must be something well worth watching :-D

racingbradley
25th December 2017, 19:02
He said later in season.

Listened to Midweekmotorsport (RadioLeMans.com) Wednesday night they had a good bit about FE, mainly because of the Montreal race being dropped. But, they mentioned the reason FE do not go to proper race tracks, is because they also want to be different, but the downside is, race promotors got pay massive fees to turn city streets into rae track and have the facilities. The Candian firm that was backing the FE race, pulled out because the ticket sales was under half that was said would be sold. Half of those were given away free, and the TV numbers were no near what they were told would be aswell.

Thank you Rob for all of that info. I have located RadioLeMans and must listen to it. I can understand the ticket sales being low in some places mainly because they need to promote FE a lot more. People I know who watch F1 barely know or have heard anything about FE. :roll

Brembo
26th December 2017, 00:26
Yes he can Brembo but if it's early on in the race his battery will run out before the end so he's compromised.
On the other hand if it should happen round about the middle of the race then no problem!!!!:-)

R Bradley; thank you for the answer to my question. The battery! Wow. I forgot about the costs of promoting FE along with everything else. Glad you mentioned it. Imagine Felipe, Luca, Nico all racing together !!

racingbradley
26th December 2017, 09:35
Imagine Felipe, Luca, Nico all racing together !!
I think Nico Rosberg is more interested in being a team manager at Merc when it joins FE and I think Coulthard was only for the spectacle. As for Felipe maybe we will see him racing there. :-D

Brembo
31st December 2017, 05:49
I think Nico Rosberg is more interested in being a team manager at Merc when it joins FE and I think Coulthard was only for the spectacle. As for Felipe maybe we will see him racing there. :-D

At 32 yrs. old; I still think of Nico as a driver. Merc must really think highly of him and his experience! Who's to say their wrong?

jgonzalesm6
4th January 2018, 08:55
Giovinazzi confirmed for maiden Formula E test in Marrakesh via @crash_net

jgonzalesm6
5th January 2018, 12:40
FIA reveals cost details for new Formula E car for 2018/19 season

It has been determined that the total cost of a "ready-to-race" FE car will not exceed €817,300, with powertrains capped at €250,000.

The new-for-2018/19 halo device will cost €12,700, while the spec battery and Spark-built chassis are priced at €200,000 and €299,600 respectively.

The cost of a powertrain for the current 2017/18 campaign had been set at €150,000 per unit and €600,000 in total (plus spares), compared to €500,000 now.

A total car for 2017/18 was marked up as €480,000, and though this makes the new one €337,300 more expensive on its own teams will save more than €150,000 overall by buying two instead of four.

Teams have until January 15 to "contract with the manufacturer", with the total per car topped up by a €55,000 administration fee.

The peak power output of the new FE cars is expected to rise from 200kW to 250kW, with battery capacity up from 28kWh to 54kWh, and during testing the prototype is understood to have already outpaced the existing model.

https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/133765/cost-details-for-new-fe-car-revealed

racingbradley
5th January 2018, 21:15
Formula E is evolving into a very serious competitor.
Thank you for the info Jgonzalesm6 :-)

jgonzalesm6
11th January 2018, 09:53
Formula E drops its minimum pitstop time with immediate effect, leaving some drivers concerned @ Autosport

Seb frowns upon Formula E's future -->http://autoweek.com/article/formula-e/f1-great-sebastian-vettel-says-formula-e-not-future

racingbradley
13th January 2018, 15:39
I think Seb made that remark with tongue in cheek.:-)
This is the last year that drivers will have to swap cars midway in the race. I think they have scrapped the idea of minimum time in the pits until teams have explored it more!!!
As I have said FE is evolving and soon the batteries will be capable of going long distances. :-D

Rob
13th January 2018, 20:38
Now catching up with the race from earlier.

Im, in shock how bad this track and place is nothing around the track, no grandstands or even any number amount of fans i can make out. Look like building sites around the track.

wisepie
14th January 2018, 11:04
You'll have been a bit disappointed that Sam Bird only finished up in 3rd, Rob, after a great first stint. But still a decent showing and good for the championship standings. I was backing Filippi and Mortara, so not a good day for me!!:-E

racingbradley
14th January 2018, 14:46
I was backing Filippi and Mortara, so not a good day for me!!:-E
Sorry about your two boys Wisepie but their luck could change in Santiago on Feb 3rd!!! Formula E is a lot less predictable than Formula 1 and I think a lot more entertaining but I will always watch F1!!!
I was rooting for JEV, Beumi & De Grassi...............I think I still feel for those who left F1 too early in the careers just because their chance wasn't there or their face didn't fit :roll

Brembo
16th January 2018, 18:40
I'm with you on Beumi, de Grassi ! Soon one car per race! Things are changing real fast. I can only hope it's a good move and not too soon. I'd hate to see one of my favorite drivers battery cause him to say lose 1st place.

jgonzalesm6
30th January 2018, 11:08
The new Formula E car for the 2018/19 season has been revealed

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/958310073327149056/nO9Uj4Nn?format=jpg&name=600x314

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyeJGaXcAAke0S.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyeJHDXkAAKJxs.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyeJGbXUAAs8jM.jpg

Brembo
30th January 2018, 16:05
Great photos! ThankYou! Plenty of $$ advertising all over those cars. Threaded tires !

wisepie
30th January 2018, 16:48
Shame they can't replicate the noise of a V12, a V10 or even a V8, the images for the Gen2 cars makes them look like a cross between open racers and LMP entries, especially with the integrated halo.

DIEK
30th January 2018, 18:52
The new Formula E car for the 2018/19 season has been revealed

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/958310073327149056/nO9Uj4Nn?format=jpg&name=600x314

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyeJGaXcAAke0S.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyeJHDXkAAKJxs.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyeJGbXUAAs8jM.jpg

Damn Halo, previous designs are much better...

http://www.sparkracingtechnology.com/sites/default/files/17%20Formula%20E%20Spark%20Season%205%20Side%20Hal f%20Canopy_0.jpg

http://www.sparkracingtechnology.com/sites/default/files/00%20Formula%20E%20Spark%20Season%205%20Title%20Pa ge.jpg

http://www.sparkracingtechnology.com/sites/default/files/04%20Formula%20E%20Spark%20Season%205%20Front.jpg

http://www.sparkracingtechnology.com/sites/default/files/05%20Formula%20E%20Spark%20Season%205%20Rear.jpg

http://www.sparkracingtechnology.com/en/content/spark-racing-technology-develop-formula-e-season-5-car

racingbradley
30th January 2018, 20:05
Damn Halo, previous designs are much better... l]

Agree the halo interrupts the flow of the design but if it avoids accidents such as that of Harry Surtees, Jules and Justin Wilson it will be worth it. :-D

jgonzalesm6
31st January 2018, 13:06
"The cars will be faster and will have almost double the amount of energy storage capacity and double the range, demonstrating the continuous evolution of battery technology" - Alejandro Agag

from Autosport

wisepie
4th February 2018, 16:54
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Santiago FE race this weekend which proved to be quite an exciting race, especially towards the end. The whining noise is a pain but there is real competition and close racing, all credit to JEV and Lotterer for getting FE's first one-two team finish in the sport.:thumb

racingbradley
4th February 2018, 17:36
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Santiago FE race this weekend which proved to be quite an exciting race, especially towards the end. The whining noise is a pain but there is real competition and close racing, all credit to JEV and Lotterer for getting FE's first one-two team finish in the sport.:thumb

Wisepie you were not the only one who enjoyed watching Formula E on Saturday. What a thrilling, fast moving race. I was very happy for JEV and I see him as one of ours. After all he was our development driver in 2015 and 2016 and he has worn red. :-D
I would love to see Ferrari/Fiat group join Formula E. I know Marchionne wants to wait until it has matured.......well there are big changes coming for 2019. ;-)

jgonzalesm6
9th February 2018, 17:11
FE CEO is having a change of pace.....pressure maybe...finally!!!:roll

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVnKXl4VMAAw-JB.jpg

racingbradley
24th February 2018, 21:14
Mexico City next Saturday :dance

Rob
25th February 2018, 11:39
Mexico City next Saturday :dance

Will record it. Hope be good race for The Bird

jgonzalesm6
25th February 2018, 23:38
fyi....could we see a female racer in Formula E. Her name is Carmen Jorda.

#ABBFormulaE WAIT, WHAT ?? @CarmenJorda doing a @FIAFormulaE test for @MahindraRacing at the #MexicoEPrix ? https://lat.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/carmen-jorda-probara-un-formula-e-en-mexico-1008586/ … (The instagram message mentioned, has already been deleted).

jgonzalesm6
2nd March 2018, 21:54
Mexico GP 2018

The weekend hasn't even really started yet but @LucasdiGrassi @sambirdracing & @alexlynnracing already drop 10 places each.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXUT77BW0AAk3eG.jpg (Lucas FIA penalty letter)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXUT71nW0AUDPqa.jpg (Sam FIA Penalty letter)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXUT72hXkAEMNsN.jpg (Alex FIA penalty letter)

jgonzalesm6
2nd March 2018, 22:20
So this year Formula E cars are not allowed to cross this white line with 4 wheels, to help drivers avoid the grass... On the STRAIGHT!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXUWpxPXUAAMEm-.jpg

jgonzalesm6
3rd March 2018, 18:12
Congratz to @MahindraRacing & @FRosenqvist for taking SUPERPOLE for the #MexicoCityEPrix !! 10 place grid drop for @alexlynnracing @sambirdracing & @LucasdiGrassi.

pole position grid standings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXYrH1uX4AIA6g9.jpg

racingbradley
3rd March 2018, 22:19
Another thrilling race for Formula E. Blink and you have missed some real action. Congratulations to Daniel Apt and the Apt team!!!!!Poor Sam had bad luck & a good steady race by JEV.
How I love the fan participation and the drivers walk to the podium :-D
Races in Rome and Paris next month!!!!!:-)

wisepie
4th March 2018, 16:40
Nice to see the cars racing on a proper track rather than a make-shift city track, it did allow the cars to become more spaced out at times but still managed to produce some very close racing at the front and as unpredictable as ever. F1 could do with more of the same! Supporting Luca Filippi and Edoardo Mortara is not giving me much satisfaction, though!;-)

Nick Singer
6th March 2018, 20:22
One word - dismal.

Brembo
7th March 2018, 02:48
Is Formula E using Ferrari's former gear box supplier? :rotfl

racingbradley
7th March 2018, 20:49
One word - dismal.

Are you referring to your McDonalds avatar? ;-) :-)

racingbradley
7th March 2018, 21:14
I guess you all have already seen this electric car but just in case you haven't!! :-)

Electric cars reinventing the notion of speed by @rimac_automobili
0-100kph in 1.8s / 400 kmh and 600km autonomy!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/6/17086808/rimac-concept-two-electric-hypercar-geneva-motor-show-2018

Nick Singer
10th March 2018, 07:41
1) Not McDonalds 2) Formula E - kiddie-karts..

racingbradley
10th March 2018, 17:50
1) Not McDonalds 2) Formula E - kiddie-karts..

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Hmm just wait until F1 in its current form becomes the Dodo of motor racing.
I would ask why are all the big manufacturers clamouring to join FE............oh yes because it's the future!!!!!! :lol

wisepie
11th March 2018, 12:04
Much as I've enjoyed watching the FE races, and it probably is the future (groan), it will never replace F1 from a fan's perspective, but the gap gets narrower with each additional technical development reducing the internal combustion engine's noise to a whine.:-s

jgonzalesm6
11th March 2018, 20:18
Here's what I don't get what the FIA are doing with FE.

They've taken away a point for fastest lap, and instead GIVE a point for the car that was the most economic! It has NOTHING to do with racing, zero. :-E :-E

wisepie
12th March 2018, 18:02
Here's what I don't get what the FIA are doing with FE.

They've taken away a point for fastest lap, and instead GIVE a point for the car that was the most economic! It has NOTHING to do with racing, zero. :-E :-E

How very politically correct, but they're keeping the grid girls! Sometimes I despair of governing bodies!!:-E

Nick Singer
13th March 2018, 21:18
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Hmm just wait until F1 in its current form becomes the Dodo of motor racing.
I would ask why are all the big manufacturers clamouring to join FE............oh yes because it's the future!!!!!! :lol

I daresay I will be either too old to care - or dead - before there are only electric cars on the roads and on the track..

Until then, let's use our fossil fuels as wisely as we can. After all, we have hundreds of years of them left.

racingbradley
15th March 2018, 11:10
I daresay I will be either too old to care - or dead - before there are only electric cars on the roads and on the track..

Until then, let's use our fossil fuels as wisely as we can. After all, we have hundreds of years of them left.

Well Nick have you not noticed the increasing number of electric cars on our roads atm.......at least here in the Midlands there are!
A lot of my friends have gone electric & I would if I could afford to! All of the manufacturers are bringing out a model and the race is on to develop a more sustainable battery.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/07/jaguar-land-rover-electric-hybrid-cars-2020

As for your comment on fossil fuel we may have some left but what about the environment....there is not much point in having cars which run on fossil fuel if the air we breathe does not sustain human, animal and plant life. :-s
We have a responsibility to leave this world fit for generations to come!!!:roll

jgonzalesm6
15th March 2018, 11:56
As for your comment on fossil fuel we may have some left but what about the environment....there is not much point in having cars which run on fossil fuel if the air we breathe does not sustain human, animal and plant life. :-s
We have a responsibility to leave this world fit for generations to come!!!:roll

I'm all for electric cars, electric trains, electric public transit, autonomous vehicles--> in cities where several millions clamour and reside where currently smog and congestion are the prime culprit. Cities like Mumbai, London, Los Angeles, New York, Mexico City, Shanghai, Singapore, Beijeng, etc. etc.

I would not mind driving a 71 365 Daytona in the country side.....as it is my freedom as well as many others who don't mind burning fossil fuels.

racingbradley
17th March 2018, 20:11
What a race my blood pressure is sky high. :-) but the outcome was great!!!
JEV is my favourite driver in FE. I reckon it was the year he spent with us that helped him & we taught him some new tricks.
The Rugby was totally up my street but then we won the grand slam. :-D
But I felt sorry for Italy they gave Scotland a match and Scotland are a classy team!!!!

wisepie
18th March 2018, 11:27
Good close racing for the win between JEV and Di Grassi, Sam Bird managed a decent result too, it's turning out to be a good championship battle and not too predictable, let's hope F1 will give us some equally close racing without Merc steaming into the distance. Italy should have won the rugby, but I risk being done over by Scottish fans, and Sebring was a bit disappointing for our Ferrari teams. Now for MotoGP and then next weekend it will all be too much for my blood pressure, especially at that ungodly hour of the morning.:roll

racingbradley
12th April 2018, 12:44
I had to smile at some of this. Thought I would post it :-);-)

MOTORSPORT
Compared to antisocial, petrol-powered motorsports like, y’know, Formula 1, the world of Formula E is very saintly. Confirmation of that gets no greater than a blessing from the big man. Yep, the Pope has blessed Formula E.

His Holiness even invited a bunch of Formula E drivers to his house – better known as Vatican City – for the ceremony, which saw half of the grid given an Apostolic Blessing.

Um, why? Because the latest E-Prix is being held in Rome this weekend, and local residents get no more A-list when you want a bit of publicity. And now F1’s big new rival has been given the nod from him upstairs, next time Lewis Hamilton tweets #blessed, it’ll suddenly have even less gravitas than before…

wisepie
13th April 2018, 07:28
Nice one racingbradley, although there's nothing saintly when it comes to motor-racing rivalry, electric or otherwise, and the only electrical assistance I'd like to give HAM is a shock. Hope il Papa can oblige.;-)

Brembo
13th April 2018, 08:10
Nice one racingbradley, although there's nothing saintly when it comes to motor-racing rivalry, electric or otherwise, and the only electrical assistance I'd like to give HAM is a shock. Hope il Papa can oblige.;-)
Viva IL Papa ! :rotfl

wisepie
13th April 2018, 17:44
Not happy I'll miss FE in Roma and probably the Shanghai GP, first time for a long while that I haven't watched it live, hope it's a good omen as last time I couldn't watch a race we won. Can il Papa intervene again, perhaps?!:pray;-)

racingbradley
14th April 2018, 08:37
Not happy I'll miss FE in Roma and probably the Shanghai GP, first time for a long while that I haven't watched it live, hope it's a good omen as last time I couldn't watch a race we won. Can il Papa intervene again, perhaps?!:pray;-)
Let's hope your extreme sacrifice to secure us a win works Wisepie :rotfl
Hope you have voted on fanboost.
Have a lovely holiday anyway .;-)

racingbradley
15th April 2018, 11:18
Congratulations to Sam Bird who drove a strategic race and deserved the win.
JEV has a day of damage limitation and finished in the top 5 :-)
13th for Luca Filippi who had a great weekend at his home grand prix. :-D

racingbradley
17th April 2018, 11:37
Now Nissan joins FE.
What's up with Fiat. Surely the time is right for a Fiat based car to join the fray. It could be badged Maserati maybe. ;-) :-D

Nissan - which will make its debut in the all-electric series 2018/19 season with its next generation racer - is the first Japanese manufacturer to enter Formula E.

racingbradley
27th April 2018, 20:35
FE in the city of light this weekend. Let's hope it's a cracker.

Interesting piece of news :-)

https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/13...ense-for-massa

wisepie
29th April 2018, 09:48
Good result for JEV in Paris and Sam Bird lucky to get to the podium, I was able to watch it live straight after Baku quali, but shame the last two races have clashed with F1 weekends and I know where my heart lies!!;-)

racingbradley
29th April 2018, 11:55
Good result for JEV in Paris and Sam Bird lucky to get to the podium, I was able to watch it live straight after Baku quali, but shame the last two races have clashed with F1 weekends and I know where my heart lies!!;-)

I concur with that.
Not quite as an exciting race as some of the previous we have seen.
The closing lap was a bit bizarre. Sam & Luca were lucky to get through and get a podium. :-D

jgonzalesm6
4th May 2018, 16:24
Alejandro Agag makes €600m bid for full control of Formula E

Rob
15th May 2018, 22:04
Felipe Massa joins Venturi driver line up for Season 5

With only four rounds left of Season 4 of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, today Venturi Formula E announced that Brazilian racing driver Filipe Massa will join the driver line up for Season 5 (2018-19), after signing a three-year deal with the team.

Due to begin testing in the Gen2 Venturi VFE 05 by the end of May 2018, Massa commented, "I’m very happy to be joining the Venturi Formula E Team and the Formula E championship, which has become a magnificent competition in such a short space of time.

"For some years now, I’ve been clear about my interest in this innovative, forward-looking discipline that’s developing exponentially. I especially like the format of race meetings, the city-centre circuits and the contact with the fans. I can’t wait to take part in testing at the end of the month."

After attending the Race in Rome earlier this season, Massa was keen to show his commitment to the series. "It would be a great pleasure to be here racing," said the Brazilian driver earlier in the season during the race in Rome. "I can not stay at home for very long - I need to find something to do and Formula E is a championship that's showing some good possibilities."

Starting out in go-karts from the age of eight, Massa continued racing in national and regional championships for seven years, before moving to Formula Renault and on to Formula 3000, where he won the championship.

Moving to Formula One, Massa started his career with Sauber before joining Scuderia Ferrari as a test driver in 2003. During his time in the single-seater series, the Brazilian managed an impressive 269 starts, 41 podiums and 11 wins whilst driving for the Sauber (2002, 2004–2005), Ferrari (2006–2013), Williams (2014–2017) teams.

“It’s an honour to welcome Felipe to the Venturi family," said Gildo Pastor, President of Venturi Automobiles and the Venturi Formula E Team. "I needed him, his experience, his speed, and his openness. Formula E is extremely complex to set up and drive. Even more so than in other disciplines, teamwork between the driver and the engineering team is one of the keys to success. Felipe’s 15 years’ experience in Formula 1 will definitely give us a boost. And with his humble nature, I know he will listen to the team and master the discipline quickly.”

racingbradley
27th May 2018, 10:20
A little gem of opinion from Mark Webber. :-)

http://www.f1i.com/news/304420-webber-massa-formula-e-sensational.html

Brembo
28th May 2018, 22:10
A little gem of opinion from Mark Webber. :-)

http://www.f1i.com/news/304420-webber-massa-formula-e-sensational.html

I'm Ultra happy for Felipe and for us! Is Pirelli supplying F - E ?

racingbradley
29th May 2018, 21:05
I'm Ultra happy for Felipe and for us! Is Pirelli supplying F - E ?

Nah they are Michelins ;-)

Brembo
29th May 2018, 21:37
Nah they are Michelins ;-)

Thank God !!!

Brembo
3rd June 2018, 21:38
Imagine Mark Webber is saying F E is more competitive than F1 ! Being a F- E fan and a F1 fan is allowed! :rotfl Go Felipe !!

racingbradley
7th June 2018, 13:00
Formula E returns to Zurich this Sunday.
Clearly a day for the armchair! FE 16.30-18.15 I believe
Then 18.10 the pit lane opens for the Canadian grand prix. :-)

Riccardog
10th June 2018, 16:22
Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... :-( definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.

wisepie
10th June 2018, 17:21
Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... :-( definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.

I watched it too and have enjoyed the racing but like you, the sound is a real turn-off, it's like my Scalextric set from the 60s!:-P

Rob
10th June 2018, 17:30

turned off after few laps? give it time and watch the racing.

Yes, it hasnt got the "sound" of the engines we ALL have grown up with and got to know. But hey, hold on, whats the series called? Formula E, electric racing. Not going be loud, FE is a completely different concept and marketing racing series. Its not about the sound, its about the racing and most of all which alot of the big manufacturers are looking at it, its the show case for their electric technology.

If you take off your blinkers, and watch FE for it its is marketed for, think you will like it. Its only because its seen as "not cool" to watch or get interested in. FE isnt wanting to be the next "F1" its a whole different marketing platform and race platform.

The Architect
10th June 2018, 22:00
I watched Formula E for the first time in a while today (mainly to work off the tension before today's real main event) and was left disappointed. Aside from an eye-catching drive from Di Grassi, I didn't like much else - the sound is awful, cars are hideous, the race track was a joke and the whole changing cars half way through is a farce. Clearly they are looking for a way to market the tech, but as a motorsport viewer, I found it very artificial and difficult to muster any enthusiasm.

racingbradley
14th June 2018, 09:27
I watched Formula E for the first time in a while today (mainly to work off the tension before today's real main event) and was left disappointed..

I don't think any of us thought much of FE the first time we saw it! Certainly back in year 1 it was extremely amateurish. :-s I have watched it from the beginning mainly because I like some of the ex F1 drivers who now drive for the series. :-)
I admit the buzzing sound grates a bit at first but then you get used to it as the driving takes over. I like the car change half way through after all its just a pit stop which they do very efficiently. The 2nd generation cars from season 5 onwards have batteries which will last the race so no car change!
I started watching because electric power is the future and how long do you think it will be until F1 has to update or maybe become Formula E ???? :-??
Why I wonder do all the manufacturers want to join........we already have Jaguar, Audi, Renault, Citroen. Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan are joining next year. I think it is very short-sighted of the Fiat group not to get in on the act. They will need an electric road car to compete with the others.:-)
I would say give it a chance and maybe tune in to season 5 which begins in December. :-D
Patience is key.;-)

The Architect
15th June 2018, 09:03
I don't think any of us thought much of FE the first time we saw it! Certainly back in year 1 it was extremely amateurish. :-s I have watched it from the beginning mainly because I like some of the ex F1 drivers who now drive for the series. :-)
I admit the buzzing sound grates a bit at first but then you get used to it as the driving takes over. I like the car change half way through after all its just a pit stop which they do very efficiently. The 2nd generation cars from season 5 onwards have batteries which will last the race so no car change!
I started watching because electric power is the future and how long do you think it will be until F1 has to update or maybe become Formula E ???? :-??
Why I wonder do all the manufacturers want to join........we already have Jaguar, Audi, Renault, Citroen. Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan are joining next year. I think it is very short-sighted of the Fiat group not to get in on the act. They will need an electric road car to compete with the others.:-)
I would say give it a chance and maybe tune in to season 5 which begins in December. :-D
Patience is key.;-)

It was my fifth FE race. As for Fiat, if they don't want to go racing, then they shouldn't. I feel Formula E is currently too much of a marketing bonanza and needs better technical competition and also needs to be a far better spectacle. I don't want to hear about how electric is going to be the future every time I change the channel. I'd much rather watch the BTCC than FE as my third regular motorsport commitment.

racingbradley
16th June 2018, 12:43
I'd much rather watch the BTCC than FE as my third regular motorsport commitment.
Horses for courses then. :-) ;-)

racingbradley
14th July 2018, 21:57
JEV wins the fourth FE championship in spite of penalty which wiped out his potential pole.
Very happy for him. Poor Sam one of them had to come 2nd.
Wiry old fox drove a very strategic race from the back of the grid........it's all that info he gained when he was our 3rd driver.:-)
Hope Felipe can do similar next year. ;-)

wisepie
15th July 2018, 10:13
JEV wins the fourth FE championship in spite of penalty which wiped out his potential pole.
Very happy for him. Poor Sam one of them had to come 2nd.
Wiry old fox drove a very strategic race from the back of the grid........it's all that info he gained when he was our 3rd driver.:-)
Hope Felipe can do similar next year. ;-)

Couldn't have put it better myself, racingbradley! Both JEV and Sam have Ferrari connections so we got 1st and 2nd really, but gutting for Sam all the same. Good racing in NYC too, I still hate the Scalextric sound but it's good to see different drivers in with a chance of good placings, as long as the Audis don't wipe the floor with everyone else like they did in WEC.;-)

racingbradley
15th July 2018, 21:33
What a race that was to-day. A stunning gutsy race by JEV.
It had everything competitive wheel to wheel racing, crashes, VSA, even intervention by FIA.
Hmm Bottas can get away with a jump start but not Andre Lotterer! :roll

racingbradley
16th July 2018, 19:36
The world’s first all-electric racing car series finished its fourth season in New York over the weekend, and while Formula 1 is asking itself questions about identity and relevance, Formula E knows exactly where it’s going.

Next season FE has a new car and race format, with the car swaps – which always highlighted the deficiency of ‘range anxiety’ – gone as battery technology improves. I spoke with a CEO of a major manufacturer recently, and he made it abundantly clear where the road car market is going in the next decade: the focus is on hybrids right now, but full electric is the destination we’re all heading to.

Crucially, Formula E is perfectly placed to take full advantage. BMW and Nissan join for season five; then it’s Porsche and Mercedes entering a year later, along with the already-present Audi, DS (Citroen), Jaguar, Mahindra, NIO, Penske and Venturi.

If that glittering line-up of automotive giants doesn’t prompt F1 to truly nail its sense of self over future regulations, I don’t know what will.

Motorsport.com Insider [info@motorsport.com]

Brembo
18th July 2018, 05:52
A few more FIA new regulations with regards to every move in F1, who knows , they may demand an electric engine!! I just had to say that!!:rotfl

racingbradley
18th July 2018, 09:23
A few more FIA new regulations with regards to every move in F1, who knows , they may demand an electric engine!! I just had to say that!!:rotfl

Hmm Brembo you could eat your words in a few years. ;-)
It could and probably will come to pass.

Brembo
9th December 2018, 11:03
Vergne seems well at home @ Techeetah! a championship !!!

wisepie
9th December 2018, 16:59
Vergne seems well at home @ Techeetah! a championship !!!

Brembo, are you currying favour with racingbradley in suggesting that Jean-Eric is heading for his 2nd FE championship aboard the Techeetah machine? I was rather hoping you'd be in my camp supporting a certain Felipe and Venturi, can't expect miracles from a rookie but I'm ready to fan-boost him at every opportunity!;-)

racingbradley
11th December 2018, 13:15
Brembo, are you currying favour with racingbradley in suggesting that Jean-Eric is heading for his 2nd FE championship aboard the Techeetah machine? I was rather hoping you'd be in my camp supporting a certain Felipe and Venturi, can't expect miracles from a rookie but I'm ready to fan-boost him at every opportunity!;-)
O Wisepie you are stirring the pot :rotfl
It's no secret that I'm a big JEV fan always have been even when he was at Toro and I was happy he had the opportunity to wear red for a few years even though it was only as a reserve driver.
BUT I am a massive Felipe fan and will be giving him fanboost. Now if the two of them were racing for a win then my ultimate loyalties would be put to the test.
I hope to support both...………………. after all I have 6 favourites in F1 but Charles will be the no 1 next season :-D

Want to give your favourite driver an edge? Vote for them below and if they end up in the top five on our FANBOOST Leaderboard, they'll get an extra boost of power they can use during the race.
https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

wisepie
11th December 2018, 16:55
O Wisepie you are stirring the pot :rotfl
It's no secret that I'm a big JEV fan always have been even when he was at Toro and I was happy he had the opportunity to wear red for a few years even though it was only as a reserve driver.
BUT I am a massive Felipe fan and will be giving him fanboost. Now if the two of them were racing for a win then my ultimate loyalties would be put to the test.
I hope to support both...………………. after all I have 6 favourites in F1 but Charles will be the no 1 next season :-D

Want to give your favourite driver an edge? Vote for them below and if they end up in the top five on our FANBOOST Leaderboard, they'll get an extra boost of power they can use during the race.
https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

No I am not stirring the pot, you know me so well and my loyalties for some reason appear to be to a small Brazilian. I am unanimous in that!!;-)

Rob
11th December 2018, 21:03
https://www.fiaformulae.com/watch/ways-to-watch?country=9425e0dc6a1c4d93a797303e40cb7ad6

Rob
11th December 2018, 21:06
ATTACK MODE variables to be decided 60 minutes before race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRZHDFm124s

Rob
11th December 2018, 21:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyxi3epE8es

Rob
11th December 2018, 21:11
be rooting for my good friend Sam.

racingbradley
12th December 2018, 08:57

Thank you for the TV viewing timetable and info Rob.
Good luck to Sam, Felipe & JEV :-)
I feel the Audi and BMW will be very strong but at least FE is close so it's less conclusive.:-) :-D

wisepie
12th December 2018, 17:16

I am of course rooting for Felipe, Rob, but I do support Sam and anyone else connected in some way with Ferrari including racingbradley's pin-up JEV! I'm just having trouble working out how I can watch it live, being such a technophobe I am not permanently attached to a smartphone or laptop and I pay enough for Sky to get F1 that I don't want to pay again for FE live too. Help!:roll

Rob
12th December 2018, 21:14
I am of course rooting for Felipe, Rob, but I do support Sam and anyone else connected in some way with Ferrari including racingbradley's pin-up JEV! I'm just having trouble working out how I can watch it live, being such a technophobe I am not permanently attached to a smartphone or laptop and I pay enough for Sky to get F1 that I don't want to pay again for FE live too. Help!:roll

BBC red button or if you have eurosport watch it on there. Eurosport is free on SKY.

wisepie
13th December 2018, 17:13
BBC red button or if you have eurosport watch it on there. Eurosport is free on SKY.

Grazie Rob, I do have Sky but don't get Eurosport as it's just the HD package plus F1, that's costly enough but a lot cheaper than total access to Sky Sports, which I wouldn't use. So it looks like my only option will be the red button, here's hoping it will work!

Rob
15th December 2018, 11:15
track looks like a building site.

racingbradley
15th December 2018, 12:12
Well that was quite an exciting race packed with action and overtakes.
Don't want to spoil the results for anyone so will only say drive throughs were in evidence Poor Felipe being one of the victims :-( but he drove well and showed he still knows how to overtake. :-)

wisepie
15th December 2018, 17:13
Well that was quite an exciting race packed with action and overtakes.
Don't want to spoil the results for anyone so will only say drive throughs were in evidence Poor Felipe being one of the victims :-( but he drove well and showed he still knows how to overtake. :-)

Well said racingbradley, it was all a bit confusing with penalties and the practice and quali being messed up due to rain, even the race commentators were getting confused with the new attack modes and drive-throughs. Close racing for sure but the circuit looked dreary and even Felipe doesn't know why he got a drive-through, he did some great passes all for nothing, as for Sam, not a good day at the office but JEV was on fire, just not quite enough to take the win. It's good to have FE in the off-season but there's work to do on the presentation, IMO, but then I'm an old codger who likes to hear proper forms of motive power!! The formula seems geared to those who live on social media and love anything technical, the new generation who I think will never have the passion that us oldies have nursed for so long!! Unless Ferrari enter the game, of course!;-)

Brembo
20th December 2018, 17:28
In a recent interview Vettle said F-E is not the future. Anyone who identifies with motor racing does not think much of F-E. It's not exciting. He has no interest in F-E.

racingbradley
20th December 2018, 21:42
Oh dear I am an oldie but I love FE!!!! :lol
I think it’s an evolving series and will continue to do so until electric is no longer the future but the present.
I thought the BBC (red button ) coverage was abysmal and I really missed that of channel 5,
Maybe my love of FE is fuelled by my boredom with F1 and the Merc fest and the fact that their drivers seem to escape penalties even though drivers from other teams get penalised for the same infringement.
On the other hand the result of an FE race is more uncertain and thus more exciting.:-) :-D

wisepie
21st December 2018, 16:47
FE can be more unpredictable and the racing is closer owing to the type of circuits used, but the thought of it replacing F1 or any other motorsport series with an internal combustion engine will have me kicking and screaming into my hole in the ground!! F1 can be boring sometimes but not when you're a tifoso, even when you lose! The future is worrying, nonetheless.:-E

Brembo
23rd December 2018, 07:26
How about combustion engines going 12, 10, 8, to 6, cylinders ? Are 4 cylinders next in F-1? I remember driving a 10cyl. Ferrari with a carb. for each cyl. ! Combustion engines are " The sound of music! "

Rob
23rd December 2018, 10:40
How about combustion engines going 12, 10, 8, to 6, cylinders ? Are 4 cylinders next in F-1? I remember driving a 10cyl. Ferrari with a carb. for each cyl. ! Combustion engines are " The sound of music! "

Porsche 919 hybrid was direct injected turbo charged V4. That sounded awesome.

Brembo
23rd December 2018, 14:26
OK, Here's what I read: Massa activated his fan base system before the 22nd minute of the race, the earliest it can be used in the 2018, 2019 championship. For that reason he got a 5 second penalty. I think I understand that? :rotfl

wisepie
23rd December 2018, 16:47
OK, Here's what I read: Massa activated his fan base system before the 22nd minute of the race, the earliest it can be used in the 2018, 2019 championship. For that reason he got a 5 second penalty. I think I understand that? :rotfl

Damn silly rules, in my humble opinion!:roll

racingbradley
30th December 2018, 18:25
Damn silly rules, in my humble opinion!:roll

Personally I'm fed up with silly rules in both F1 and FE
Maybe I could accept them more if all drivers faced the same penalty for similar offences. :roll

Brembo
2nd January 2019, 00:13
Personally I'm fed up with silly rules in both F1 and FE
Maybe I could accept them more if all drivers faced the same penalty for similar offences. :roll

So true! At least leave Felipe in peace so he can settle into F-E .

Rob
12th January 2019, 14:31
:-( oh Sam

Rob
12th January 2019, 14:58
BMW had that in the bag. Not sure who was a fault at out of them both.

But least Sam got on podium in the end. Happy.

racingbradley
12th January 2019, 16:59
I would not like to be either driver during the post race brief at BMW. It appears that it was AFC's fault but it didn't look that way.
Sam did well to-day and JEV was ok but could have had a better result if he hadn't tried so hard at the start.
As for Felipe the L plate is still in place. I think he's enjoying FE but its a very different discipline. :-)

wisepie
13th January 2019, 09:44
These FE circuits certainly look quite ugly and claustrophobic with their high walls and little run-off areas, and the racing can be very close for that reason, but it still lacks something, the rules and regs with attack modes and fanboosts can be quite confusing but I suppose we'll get used to them. Good result for Sam after the first lap shenanigans, JEV climbed back well, but poor Felipe just slipped down the order and came last of the runners, so my interest is already dwindling!! On top of that, being a complete technophobe, I had to test my ability to be able to watch it on catch-up red button, it's not going to be an easy series to keep fans interested. Rant over for now!:roll

Rob
13th January 2019, 13:27
These FE circuits certainly look quite ugly and claustrophobic with their high walls and little run-off areas, and the racing can be very close for that reason, but it still lacks something, the rules and regs with attack modes and fanboosts can be quite confusing but I suppose we'll get used to them. Good result for Sam after the first lap shenanigans, JEV climbed back well, but poor Felipe just slipped down the order and came last of the runners, so my interest is already dwindling!! On top of that, being a complete technophobe, I had to test my ability to be able to watch it on catch-up red button, it's not going to be an easy series to keep fans interested. Rant over for now!:roll

I was cursing JEV. But he soon apologised and said he made a mistake.

About the fanboost and attack modes. Is t good idea, it shows off the technology and fan interaction. Be honest, think the whole Pirelli and DRS rubbish in F1 s alot more confusing to "new " fans.

The tracks, dont like, totally understand why they go "street" racing, but most of them are dull and look like building sites.

racingbradley
13th January 2019, 17:05
I agree with both of you on the circuits........................they are boring and I would like them to show off the beautiful places they use.
I think the better circuits are Santiago, Rome, Paris and Monaco.
As for JEV he was a bit of a clown at the first corner but he always apologises when he's at fault..................take note some F1 boys!!!!!! the blame game impresses no one!!!! :roll

wisepie
13th January 2019, 17:18
I agree with both of you on the circuits........................they are boring and I would like them to show off the beautiful places they use.
I think the better circuits are Santiago, Rome, Paris and Monaco.
As for JEV he was a bit of a clown at the first corner but he always apologises when he's at fault..................take note some F1 boys!!!!!! the blame game impresses no one!!!! :roll

Agree completely about the circuits and the blame game, racing bradley, but it did look to me like JEV had no brakes at all, and at least he kept going and didn't do what the Andretti-BMW boys did. Rob, did you mean the obligatory use of different tyre compounds in the races and DRS actuation is confusing for 'new' fans? Fanboost and attack modes are a novelty in FE and of course help fan interaction, but the fan base won't increase dramatically until the series is more accessible, I prefer to watch these events live and despite begrudging having to pay to watch F1, I've been doing it for so long that I class it as my fortnightly treat instead of going to the pub!! Pubs and F1 would probably have me crying into my pint, or being arrested for assaulting a HAM fan.;-)

racingbradley
21st January 2019, 18:01
Fanboost is open for this weekend's race.:-)

wisepie
22nd January 2019, 17:17
Fanboost is open for this weekend's race.:-)

Felipe has been fan-boosted as per instructions but if he doesn't have a better weekend I will blow a fuse myself!:-E

Brembo
27th January 2019, 06:26
How can that be? 8 DNFs?

wisepie
27th January 2019, 11:29
Well done Sam, shame the same can't be said for Felipe, Wehrlein did a great race too, you will be a happy bunny Rob!;-)

Rob
27th January 2019, 13:24
brilliant race and result for Sam. Especially after the last race. Was swearing and nearly throwing things at the TV when they said he was under investigation be being under weight. Which, i couldnt work out how they came to that, after the car is same weight it starts, well unless missing wheel or fair amount of bodywork.

But hey, win and now leading standings.

Rob
27th January 2019, 13:28
Well done Sam, shame the same can't be said for Felipe, Wehrlein did a great race too, you will be a happy bunny Rob!;-)

:-D

Rob
27th January 2019, 13:28

Tifoso
28th January 2019, 18:57
Anyone in Formula E that I would care to root for? Team? Driver? Too lazy to look :-D

Greig
29th January 2019, 16:32
Anyone in Formula E that I would care to root for? Team? Driver? Too lazy to look :-D

Massa :-)

wisepie
29th January 2019, 16:36
Massa :-)

Ha ha Greig, are you being flippant or do you mean it?! I've been fan-boosting Felipe for what it's worth but he's not exactly making an impression so far. Onwards and upwards, we hope!;-)

racingbradley
17th February 2019, 13:44
Massa has started to rack up some points. I think you could say he had a good day at the office. 2nd in FP2 and 3rd in quali. Unfortunately for him it was very busy at the top and he began to lose out but I for one am happy with 8th to begin his points tally.
Sam came in 9th but JEV was out of the points.
Since among us we support drivers associated with Ferrari we had better include Wehrlein.:-?? He's showing great promise.

Rob
17th February 2019, 14:16
Massa has started to rack up some points. I think you could say he had a good day at the office. 2nd in FP2 and 3rd in quali. Unfortunately for him it was very busy at the top and he began to lose out but I for one am happy with 8th to begin his points tally.
Since among us we support drivers associated with Ferrari we had better include Wehrlein.:-?? He's showing great promise.

Forgot this on. :oops

wisepie
17th February 2019, 16:55

Agreed on all counts and so pleased that Felipe has now got some points to his name!:thumb

Brembo
20th February 2019, 07:50
Agreed on all counts and so pleased that Felipe has now got some points to his name!:thumb

Pleased for sure! He's the rookie here @ F-E . Piano, piano t'arrivare lontano!

wisepie
20th February 2019, 17:05

You're right Brembo, ma piano piano con forza, obrigado!!;-)

racingbradley
21st February 2019, 09:30

Pleased for sure Brembo but this rookie has a lot of experience. Go Felipe Go :-D

racingbradley
23rd March 2019, 23:21
Hmm a mixed bag for our current & ex Ferrari boys.
JEV got the win :-D
Pascal Wehrlein finished 7th
While Felipe finished just out of the points in 11th and Sam had a DNF......................................just read Montara got a penalty so Felipe has been propelled to 10th.
If you missed the race Brembo this news is for you. ;-)

wisepie
24th March 2019, 18:16
While Felipe finished just out of the points in 11th and Sam had a DNF......................................just read Montara got a penalty so Felipe has been propelled to 10th.

Oh well, another measly 1pt for Felipe at his team-mate's expense, but mustn't complain!!;-)

Brembo
26th March 2019, 07:41

Thank you always! I couldn't find the race channel . Next; Roma Bella ! Wouldn't it be nice !!

Rob
28th March 2019, 10:29
INTERVIEW: TEAM MANAGER LEON PRICE REFLECTS ON SANYA FRUSTRATIONS

Coming away from Sanya without any points was frustrating last weekend, especially as both Sam [Bird] and Robin [Frijns] were taken out of contention through no fault of their own.

However, as anyone who knows Envision Virgin Racing, we are never down for long at all and we always look forward to the next opportunity.

Last weekend was the first round in Formula E’s five year history that our Managing Director Sylvain Filippi had missed a race.

He had a pretty good excuse though, as he was back in the UK awaiting the birth of his second child.

Chris [Gorne] and I have been responsible for the operational side of the team for a while now, so apart from Sylvain not being actually on site at the track it was much the same setup for us this weekend.

Chris majors on the technical side and I do the operational and sporting roles, it works well. We were also in regular contact with Sylvain throughout the event.

In practice Sam and Robin were reasonably happy with the cars and the run programs we did in addition to the setup work. It was generally positive and they both felt pretty happy.

Qualifying in Formula E is super tough. Group 1 is a hard group to be in because the drivers are always still feeling the conditions and in some ways pioneering the session.

Sam struggled for grip as he was the first out and the conditions were challenging for him and he ended up back in 16th on the grid.

Robin lined up in 12th and by his own admittance didn’t quite get the maximum from his lap, so he was a bit disappointed. It is such a fine line in qualifying and Robin lost a bit of time in the last sector.

Still, from the sixth row of the grid, and knowing what a great racer Robin is, we knew that a good points haul was in the offing for us.

The race pace was there as Robin showed and he immediately started to cut through the pack, something which he is so good at and has shown it time and time again.

He managed to muscle his way passed [Pascal] Wehrlein, then [Edoardo] Mortara and then [Jerome] d’Ambrosio in the early stages.

We elected to take quite an early first Attack Zone boost for Robin and he was tucked up behind Lucas di Grassi’s Audi.

He then made a very impressive move around the outside on di Grassi, probably one of the moves of the season so far in my book.

This got him seventh position and he stayed there until Sims’ red flag triggering accident which elevated him to sixth.

At the restart Robin had to defend from di Grassi but ultimately was unable to resist a robust move which made some contact between the cars.

Despite this we were still in a good position, but going into the final laps [Sebastien] Buemi made a move going into the hairpin and we all saw what happened next.

The contact Buemi made on Robin pushed him into di Grassi and it was instantly game over with a damaged car.

There was little Robin could have done because when you are hit from the rear it puts the rear wheels up in the air and he had no brakes, so he was just a passenger really.

It was a big shame for Robin who had driven brilliantly up until that point.

Similarly, we were sure that Sam would have followed Robin through and have been able to grab a few points at least.

Sadly, it was never to be as he got taken out on the first lap by [Stoffel] Vandoorne. This damaged the rear of the car and probably the driveshaft which meant he was out on the spot, so you had to feel for Sam really.

Despite this frustration we were still in the lead of the championship which was at least a decent positive to take away from Sanya.

It was great to welcome the Founder and CEO of Envision, Lei Zhang, to the garage on race day. His presence and support really gave us some extra impetus at Envision Group’s home event at Sanya.

The Envision Virgin Racing team worked very hard again at the weekend but on this occasion it went unrewarded.

Our confidence is still high though because we know we have a great team and a quick car, so we go to Rome hungry to not only defend our championship lead but also to try and extend it.

Formula E is just so competitive this season and there is no one team that is dominating, so I think we should be quite proud of where we are.

At the same time this is the type of team that keeps its feet firmly on the ground, so we will keep on striving to keep improving with every lap as we head to Rome for the start of the European leg of the championship.

wisepie
28th March 2019, 18:00
Thanks for that Rob, sorry for Sam and for you, but at least Felipe inherited a point so all was not lost for me! Salute amico.;-)

racingbradley
3rd April 2019, 09:36
I see Mercedes are entering the mix next year along with Porche.
I hope they are not going to dominate FE like they do elsewhere. :-s

Rob
3rd April 2019, 19:15
Mercedes-Benz EQ completes maiden test with Vandoorne and Mortara

Ahead of its debut in the 2019/20 season of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, new entrant Mercedes-Benz EQ completed its first run with its Gen2 challenger at the Varano test track in Italy.
https://i.postimg.cc/LsP301GV/merc-benz-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/McWBnv6c)

Behind the wheel of the Silver Arrow 01, was Mercedes 'sleeper team' HWA Racelab's Stoffel Vandoorne and Venturi's Edoardo Mortara. The 527 km, two-day shakedown was the first outing for the car since it broke cover at the Geneva motor show last month.

“Not only have we reached an important milestone, but we have also laid a solid foundation for further development,” said Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport.

With a background racing for Mercedes' DTM squad in 2017 and 2018, Mortara stepped in for usual HWA driver Gary Paffett who had other racing commitments.

Day one of testing saw the car complete 50 kilometres (the maximum allowed under the regulations), while the remaining two days were dedicated to collecting and analysing data about the first version of the power unit and the rest of the drive assembly.

“When a new racing car comes to life for the first time and goes out onto the track, that’s always a very special moment,” said Wolff.

"But there is still a lot of work to do before our race debut when the next season starts towards the end of this year.”

Alongside the test, Ian James was confirmed as the Managing Director of Mercedes-Benz Formula E Ltd. Before starting with the team, James gained experience within a number of different positions within the Daimler group.

“We are very pleased with the progress made during our first test with the new car,” said James.

“The first days of testing at Varano were a very important step in the development of our team. We brought together experts from our different sites at Affalterbach, Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart, and at the end of a successful three days, they left as members of a team – it was the birth of the Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team.

"In the coming weeks and months, many more milestones will follow on the way to our first race.”

Rob
3rd April 2019, 19:21
I see Mercedes are entering the mix next year along with Porsche.
I hope they are not going to dominate FE like they do elsewhere. :-s

be tough for them. Alot more competitive than the "pinnacle of motorsport"

Porsche been on cards for year or so now. Another note on Merc, its good platform to showcase and race their technology, against the home country rivals Audi, BMW, Porsche.

racingbradley
12th April 2019, 09:53
Here we go again to-morrow as FE arrives in Mexico.
Good luck to all our Ferrari associated boys. :thumb

wisepie
12th April 2019, 17:01
Here we go again to-morrow as FE arrives in Mexico.
Good luck to all our Ferrari associated boys. :thumb

I think you mean Rome, racingbradley, or have you already been on the Malbec? I'll let you off and I echo your sentiments!:-P

racingbradley
13th April 2019, 17:57
My god did I say Mexico of course I meant Rome thank you Wisepie.
Not a drop of Malbec has passed my lips!mores the pity.

It was a race full of incidents with a pile up at one point.
Yet Felipe kept his nose clean and was both well inside the top 10 only to be struck with gremlins.
JEV fought hard to get in the top 10 after having a disastrous quali starting in 17th. He found himself in the pile up and had to climb back up again into the points only to be hit by a 10 second stop and go penalty so he's out of the points as is Sam.
Only Pascal managed 1 point.
Clearly the formula e Gods were not on song to-day.

Lets hope the F1 God's smile on us to-morrow. :thumb

racingbradley
18th April 2019, 11:47
Formula E boss Alejandro Agaghe believes there could be cooperation with F1

There has been an ever-present tension between Formula 1 and Formula E with many racing fans enjoying both of the racing series. Bernie Ecclestone believes that in the future the two Formulas may be made to join forces. Formula E boss Alejandro Agaghe believes that the two are compatible and that in the future there could even be cooperation.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/675952/Ferrari_quotinvitedquot_to_Formula_E_but_have_they _have_quotno_interestquot_/

Hmm some people may not want to hear this. :-)

wisepie
18th April 2019, 17:14
Formula E boss Alejandro Agaghe believes there could be cooperation with F1

There has been an ever-present tension between Formula 1 and Formula E with many racing fans enjoying both of the racing series. Bernie Ecclestone believes that in the future the two Formulas may be made to join forces. Formula E boss Alejandro Agaghe believes that the two are compatible and that in the future there could even be cooperation.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/675952/Ferrari_quotinvitedquot_to_Formula_E_but_have_they _have_quotno_interestquot_/

Hmm some people may not want to hear this. :-)

I am clinging to the hope that F1 with an internal combustion engine will last as long as I do, electric F1 is probably on the cards eventually but I doubt there will ever be as much fan-base as F1 has traditionally had, and it's already on the wane. Not surprising as it's Formula Mercedes anyway, I suppose. The world is at an end.;-):-E

racingbradley
18th April 2019, 18:00
I am clinging to the hope that F1 with an internal combustion engine will last as long as I do, electric F1 is probably on the cards eventually but I doubt there will ever be as much fan-base as F1 has traditionally had, and it's already on the wane. Not surprising as it's Formula Mercedes anyway, I suppose. The world is at an end.;-):-E
If F1 changes I reckon it could be one of those hybrid options.
They may even develop how to make them noisy just for racing. :lol
Surely the reign of Formula Mercedes is nearing an end.:pray

Brembo
18th April 2019, 22:14
Why doesn't F-E use the F-1 tracks when available? I'm sure they can get a years worth of openings at the main tracks. The street races are great but toooo tight!

racingbradley
19th April 2019, 09:29
Why doesn't F-E use the F-1 tracks when available? I'm sure they can get a years worth of openings at the main tracks. The street races are great but toooo tight!

Agree the street circuits are a bit bland especially when they have erected fences. I guess the racing wouldn't be so close which might defeat the object.:-)

wisepie
19th April 2019, 17:04
Agree the street circuits are a bit bland especially when they have erected fences. I guess the racing wouldn't be so close which might defeat the object.:-)

And they'd run out of fuel on longer and faster circuits!! Oh, silly me.:-P

racingbradley
19th April 2019, 18:34
And they'd run out of fuel on longer and faster circuits!! Oh, silly me.:-P

Ha Ha :lol

Rob
19th April 2019, 19:33

they do not use the tracks due to FE wanting to market the series in different concept.

The Architect
28th April 2019, 14:52
Watched the two previous races as I needed to work off the anger from some bad Ferrari performances (and they're easily available on iPlayer). The race tracks are an utter farce, reminding me of Monte Carlo in a supermarket car park. Whenever a driver makes a mistake hitting a wall, it is more than likely the car behind will follow and cause a pile up. Rank amateurs. I will be looking elsewhere for my supplemental racing fixes in future.

racingbradley
9th May 2019, 18:02
Whenever a driver makes a mistake hitting a wall, it is more than likely the car behind will follow and cause a pile up. Rank amateurs. I will be looking elsewhere for my supplemental racing fixes in future.
Oh dear you don't enjoy the complete unpredictability of the races. Just imagine if we had 8 F1 races with a different winner at each. Maybe the viewing figures would escalate and the footfall at all races. ;-)
Personally I find it the perfect antidote to some of the "bad performances in F1" and I can sit back and laugh a little after all the nail biting.
I do agree however that the race tracks are boring and I would like to see some improvement in that department!!!!
Also I wouldn't insult the talented drivers who drive in this formula. It can't be that awful if all the main manufacturers are queueing up to join.
Electric is the future after all
Let your hair down and enjoy ;-) :lol

Brembo
10th May 2019, 01:43
they do not use the tracks due to FE wanting to market the series in different concept.

I never thought of it that way. I just thought that along with having former F-1 drivers and possibly Merc and other F-1 names coming into F-E , having a few F-1 tracks on the menu would be smart marketing as far as drawing more fans. Electric power alone should be a different enough concept for their marketing ideas. I would think the tracks would like to take in the profits of having an extra menu also.

racingbradley
10th May 2019, 08:56
I think Brembo maybe the tracks are expensive to use and these transient tracks are so much cheaper. FE is run I believe on a tight budget.
Just a thought. :-)

Brembo
10th May 2019, 10:46
I think Brembo maybe the tracks are expensive to use and these transient tracks are so much cheaper. FE is run I believe on a tight budget.
Just a thought. :-)

That's got to be the answer. I didn't think of that ! But again no race is no money. There's got to be a time where a few tracks are not being used. Maybe it cost more to let F-E have a race than the track will take in?

racingbradley
11th May 2019, 20:56
Well that was an exciting race with plenty of spills and thrills to raise excitement in the most reluctant of motorsport fan.
Drivers who have worked for Ferrari took 3 out of the top 4 places. :-)
JEV drove a very spirited race from pole to finish in first. Felipe gained his first podium in FE and Pascal kept Felipe honest finishing in 4th.
Sam drove well gaining 10 places only to crash out near the end. Surely his stroke of bad luck is over now. :-)

wisepie
12th May 2019, 11:00
Well that was an exciting race with plenty of spills and thrills to raise excitement in the most reluctant of motorsport fan.
Drivers who have worked for Ferrari took 3 out of the top 4 places. :-)
JEV drove a very spirited race from pole to finish in first. Felipe gained his first podium in FE and Pascal kept Felipe honest finishing in 4th.
Sam drove well gaining 10 places only to crash out near the end. Surely his stroke of bad luck is over now. :-)

Plaudits for Felipe, finally a well-deserved podium, it cheered me up after Barcelona quali, Sam is having Ferrari-style bad luck, but JEV is back on top for now, and at least the winners in FE are not always the same!;-)

Brembo
13th May 2019, 00:38
Well said Wisepie! Not knowing who's going to win or the podium line up; makes F-E all the more interesting for fans. And having Felipe on the podium surely did the trick this race!

Brembo
15th September 2019, 06:25
Formula -E welomes Team Merc to the group! de Vires and Vandoorne will be the drivers.

Tifoso
15th September 2019, 18:10
Wait. There’s a Formula E race going on outside my window. And I didn’t even know :-E :-D

Brembo
17th September 2019, 04:18
Wait. There’s a Formula E race going on outside my window. And I didn’t even know :-E :-D
That was Bernie Sanders on a moped saving energy.

wisepie
20th November 2019, 11:42
For those interested, the 2019/20 Formula E series starts in Saudi Arabia this Fri/Sat 22/23Nov with a double-header, some of us will be fan-boosting our favourites, it's about time Ferrari showed some interest!;-)

458 Italia
22nd November 2019, 15:22
Watched a bit of the F-E this morning for the first time in a long while and I'm not overly impressed with it, "Attack mode" "fan boost" what is it with having to make racing manufactured these days!

Oh and having to have "power management" so basically fuel saving :roll

Christ I'm so grumpy with motorsport these days! (apart from WEC) :rotfl

wisepie
22nd November 2019, 16:52
Watched a bit of the F-E this morning for the first time in a long while and I'm not overly impressed with it, "Attack mode" "fan boost" what is it with having to make racing manufactured these days!

Oh and having to have "power management" so basically fuel saving :roll

Christ I'm so grumpy with motorsport these days! (apart from WEC) :rotfl

Agreed, I also watched most of it and share your views on the series with its complicated quali system and variety of novelty modes, presumably there to make the electric racing more interesting and less predictable. The circuits are pretty tight and look like industrial zones, it's difficult to overtake and the coverage I've seen makes it hard to identify drivers with little coverage of those further down the field unless they crash. However, with Porsche and Merc now involved, along with Audi, Nissan, Jaguar and the like, and in view of the current carbon emissions crisis, I'm afraid to say that this is where we're heading for our motorsport thrills. Initially I only tuned in as a Felipe fan but there are Ferrari connections in Sam Bird and James Calado (AF Corse), I wonder if Ferrari will feel inclined to join up sometime in the future when F1 gets even more regulated?:roll

wisepie
23rd November 2019, 17:05
Race 2 of the Diriyah FE double-header was full of drama with plenty of penalties throughout the field, won by Andretti-BMW. Ferrari-connected drivers had mixed fortunes with Sam Bird being punted into the wall and retiring, Felipe Massa got up to P7 but then got a penalty for an incorrect grid position (!) followed by another for speeding in the pitlane serving his first penalty and finishing a rubbish P18. James Calado (AF Corse) managed a creditable P10 in only his second FE start.

Brembo
24th November 2019, 07:32
Maybe due a few less laps on the real tracks would be the answer . It's as you say hard to know whats going on with every car on top of each other, esp on the turns.

Rob
24th November 2019, 10:00
JAMES CALADO SCORES FIRST POINTS FOR PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING IN DIRIYAH, SAUDI ARABIA

Panasonic Jaguar Racing continues points scoring run at round two of 2019/2020 ABB FIA Formula E Championship in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia
British driver James Calado proved his ability to adapt quickly to the series by finishing P7 after qualifying P21
Mitch Evans finished P18 after fighting for the podium potentially in the early part of the race
Panasonic Jaguar Racing will return to the track in Santiago on 18 January 2020

In his second ABB FIA Formula E race James Calado showed great racecraft to move through the field and secure his maiden Formula E points. The Brit, who qualified P21 eventually finished in P7 and picked up six valuable championship points during a hectic Diriyah E-Prix.

In the first lap Calado climbed four places, had to contend with safety cars and frantic restarts but he kept his cool and with post-race penalties applied he finished P7. This is the second race this weekend Panasonic Jaguar Racing has scored points, proving the British racing team’s potential.

Mitch Evans was set for a top 5 race result, battling competitively on track before an incident with Sam Bird left him with damage, forcing him to pit and also take a penalty. A P6 performance in qualifying put Mitch through to his first Super Pole session of season six. He was fourth quickest but received a penalty for a technical infringement and started P6. In a race to forget Evans took the chequered flag in P18.

As a team to start the season scoring points in both races is positive. Seeing James score key points in his second ever Formula E race shows his potential this year despite challenging track conditions. We are disappointed Mitch Evans’ Super Pole qualifying result did not convert to the race result we were looking for after a strong start to the race. The benefit of the doubt didn’t go in our favour with the penalty unfortunately and was a shame because we felt that a podium was well within reach today. We will look forward now and with a number of weeks before Santiago we will carry on developing the Jaguar I-TYPE 4, which we can see has good pace. We will be back next year aiming to secure more points in round three.
JAMES BARCLAY

PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING TEAM DIRECTOR
I felt like I had the position before I hit the wall and receiving a penalty for a racing incident with Sam [Bird]. I was looking strong after my qualifying performance, but unfortunately, we didn’t capitalise. The penalty we also received in qualifying after putting the car in P4 in Super Pole pushed us down to P6 on the grid and ultimately left us in a more vulnerable starting position during the race. Now it is time to look forward to the next race in Santiago.
MITCH EVANS

The championship is very difficult, and I made two critical mistakes before today’s result. I overdrove the car in FP3 which cost me and affected the car’s performance in qualifying, leaving me in a difficult spot on the grid. In the race I made a great start overtaking four cars in the first lap. Generally the pace was good, I capitalised on other drivers’ mistakes and we ended up with valuable points in P7. I’ve learnt a lot in my first Formula E race weekend – more than in testing and the simulator combined – the Jaguar has pace, the team is great and now we look forward to Santiago.
JAMES CALADO

Rob
24th November 2019, 10:02
https://i.postimg.cc/05n3KHCf/James-Calado-GBR-Panasonic-Jaguar-Racing-driver-at-the-Diriy.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/cHshs0PN/Mitch-Evans-driver-for-Panasonic-Jaguar-Racing-racing-the-Jagu.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Rob
24th November 2019, 10:14
Race 2 of the Diriyah FE double-header was full of drama with plenty of penalties throughout the field, won by Andretti-BMW. Ferrari-connected drivers had mixed fortunes with Sam Bird being punted into the wall and retiring, Felipe Massa got up to P7 but then got a penalty for an incorrect grid position (!) followed by another for speeding in the pitlane serving his first penalty and finishing a rubbish P18. James Calado (AF Corse) managed a creditable P10 in only his second FE start.

Wasntbbad race at all. James drove, really well. Made great first impressions. Been away from single seaters for few years now.

wisepie
24th November 2019, 11:15
Wasntbbad race at all. James drove, really well. Made great first impressions. Been away from single seaters for few years now.

It seems that the final finishing order changed again after penalties had been applied, hadn't realised James got P7 in the end, didn't stop me being disappointed with Sam and Felipe's poor races, but at least Sam won the first round. This series still lacks something for me, though, I think it's the narrowness of the circuits where opportunities to pass mean taking a gamble as much as anything else, but it's certainly unpredictable!;-)

Just checked the updated finishing order and James in P7, Felipe not 18th then 20th as shown in the live broadcast but now P17 after everyone's penalties had been applied. Talk about confusing!!:roll

Rob
26th November 2019, 08:08
It seems that the final finishing order changed again after penalties had been applied, hadn't realised James got P7 in the end, didn't stop me being disappointed with Sam and Felipe's poor races, but at least Sam won the first round. This series still lacks something for me, though, I think it's the narrowness of the circuits where opportunities to pass mean taking a gamble as much as anything else, but it's certainly unpredictable!;-)

Just checked the updated finishing order and James in P7, Felipe not 18th then 20th as shown in the live broadcast but now P17 after everyone's penalties had been applied. Talk about confusing!!:roll

Still big shame that drivers het penalised after the race. I understand it. But for the greater picture of fans, its not. We saw in Shanghai wec, #51 af corse won then got disqualified.

Formula e will always be street tracks, due too its marketing. They said from day 1 it will never race on proper race tracks as they to many series do that. And wherr the technology is aimed for "cities" is best place to race and showcase the series and technology. But. Its srill not drawing in the crowds, the tracks do like bland and, like building sites.

458 Italia
18th April 2020, 17:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-FHaaShvM

This is pretty class from Formula-E :-D

I've been watching all of the Jelle's marble races since there's been no sport.

wisepie
19th April 2020, 16:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-FHaaShvM

This is pretty class from Formula-E :-D

I've been watching all of the Jelle's marble races since there's been no sport.

I couldn't believe this was happening and thought I'd lost my marbles.....how crazy is this year's motorsport/ballsport going to get? Happy to see Venturi in 2nd place and I'll pretend it's Felipe's car! He would be chuffed.;-)

458 Italia
4th May 2020, 12:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3S5bHEcmeg

Marbula-E round 2 :lol

I think Jack Nicholls is really getting into it :-D I'm glad they brought the voice of marbles Greg Woods back as well.

458 Italia
6th June 2020, 19:32
https://youtu.be/_xLOLGfFA5E

Jack Nicholls had started to marbles as real entities! :lol

It's annoying how even with marbles Merc gets everything going their way. :furious

458 Italia
8th August 2020, 18:49
I know the real event with actual cars is back but I still love this! :clap:rotfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrAqbLozaE

458 Italia
13th August 2020, 17:58
I've tried watching this series again this week with all the races they've had in Berlin over the week and I still don't find it at all appealing for many reasons I'd poster further up the page.

Oh and the noise the cars make is so annoying! it's really grating! They almost make the current F1 cars sound good :rotfl

Will say that Sam Bird really well in the last race. :clap But I think I'll stick to the marble racing. :rotfl

The Architect
15th August 2020, 18:15
I've tried watching this series again this week with all the races they've had in Berlin over the week and I still don't find it at all appealing for many reasons I'd poster further up the page.

Oh and the noise the cars make is so annoying! it's really grating! They almost make the current F1 cars sound good :rotfl

Will say that Sam Bird really well in the last race. :clap But I think I'll stick to the marble racing. :rotfl

I tried to watch it again, but just couldn't do it... Trying to get excited over electric cars racing in a supermarket car park doesn't work for me. WEC is nonsense thanks to BoP. F2 has been catching my interest recently though as a good portion of the grid are Ferrari juniors.

NickSaggy
26th January 2022, 09:21
I have gotten (https://www.guidomaggi.com/) to it and it is cool.
Very good for any kind of work thrown (https://www.guidomaggi.it/) to it.

wisepie
26th January 2022, 17:01
FE season gets under way this weekend, I still struggle to get excited about it but will support Antonio Giovinazzi and hope that some success will come his way. It won't be easy but he deserves a break.

wisepie
28th January 2022, 17:07
First FE race is done and what a surprise it was a Merc 1-2 with De Vries and Vandoorne, GIO did manage to finish on his debut but sadly only P20! But it's a start, his teammate Sette Camara came P15.:roll

wisepie
29th January 2022, 17:04
Race 2 now done and it didn't get any better for GIO, P21 out of 22! Hope he doesn't get too disheartened. Race won by Edoardo Mortara in the Rokit Venturi, Felipe's old team. Sod's law they're now winning!;-)

wisepie
8th April 2022, 16:56
GIO on the grid in Rome for the FE race this weekend, I wish him luck but I just can't get excited about this formula, especially when there's an F1 race in OZ. Hope Ferrari don't need GIO's sim work over the weekend!

Tifoso
8th April 2022, 20:47
I don’t get what all the buzz is about. :-)

wisepie
9th April 2022, 16:58
:roll

wisepie
9th April 2022, 17:03
Nor me, GIO did at least manage to finish in P18, another round tomorrow. I really can't get much enthusiasm for this series either, only following it for Antonio.

wisepie
10th April 2022, 17:28
For what it's worth, and I didn't watch it, GIO's car failure caused a SC interlude and he'd have been better off watching Charles win in Melbourne! Poor GIO, feel sorry for him!

Tifoso
10th April 2022, 18:56
:roll

wisepie
12th April 2022, 17:04
Apologies for the rolling eyes, google was having a wobbler and wouldn't let me delete them, or maybe it's just me and my take on FE?!:-??

Tifoso
12th April 2022, 23:50
Apologies for the rolling eyes, google was having a wobbler and wouldn't let me delete them, or maybe it's just me and my take on FE?!:-??
Not a problem, fratello. :-)

wisepie
13th April 2022, 17:26
Sorry to keep banging on about GIO who may have been far more successful in F1 with the '22 Alfa, but I've just read that he is very frustrated and finding it hard to adapt to the FE cars and tracks with so little practice available. He can't reconcile the sim work with the real thing either, so no surprise he's having a dismal time. He's been a real help in the Ferrari sim, it seems.

wisepie
30th April 2022, 16:38
Monaco E-prix provided Antonio with a P15 result, so he's going in the right direction but still miles from any points, sadly.

Haapala
11th March 2023, 09:30
It's true that Formula 1 needs to keep up with the times, but that doesn't mean it has to go all electric. There are already hybrid cars that could fit into the Formula 1 format. As for the drivers, Formula E has some amazingly talented drivers, but they are not the only ones. Some of the most well-known names in Formula 1, such as David Coulthard, Felipe Massa, and Nico Rosberg, have all gone to watch Formula E races. This shows that there is something about Formula E that appeals to these experienced drivers, and it's worth watching for anyone interested in motorsport.

wisepie
11th March 2023, 10:59
I have tried getting involved with FE since it began but it just failed to engage me, and I haven't watched any of this year's events so far. I agree that there are some great drivers in FE but the circuits generally are too confined, it lacks the noise factor and there are too many gimmicks involved which detracts from it being a 'race'. F1 is getting closer to being stifled by regulations and strategy calls too, so motorsport in general is becoming less about racing and more about who has the best brains!:roll

racingbradley
11th March 2023, 15:40
Formula E is fast and totally unpredictable. It grips your attention from the onset. Usually the pole sitter doesn't win the race and it is not a procession!!!
F1 is very predictable. I sit hoping for a change of events which doesn't happen often.
I agree the circuits are confined and hope that battery life will be less of an issue in the future.
There are some very talented drivers and ex F1 drivers continue to shine with Wehriein in the lead currently and Buemi, Da Costa, Vandoorne & JEV giving a good account of themselves.
I can understand that the confined circuits are off putting but the drivers work for their results. :-)

wisepie
12th March 2023, 17:58
Formula E is fast and totally unpredictable. It grips your attention from the onset. Usually the pole sitter doesn't win the race and it is not a procession!!!
F1 is very predictable. I sit hoping for a change of events which doesn't happen often.
I agree the circuits are confined and hope that battery life will be less of an issue in the future.
There are some very talented drivers and ex F1 drivers continue to shine with Wehriein in the lead currently and Buemi, Da Costa, Vandoorne & JEV giving a good account of themselves.
I can understand that the confined circuits are off putting but the drivers work for their results. :-)

I concur mostly, but still it doesn't grab me and I did support Felipe and GIO in previous seasons, as you know, not that it helped them much!!

racingbradley
12th March 2023, 18:15
I concur mostly, but still it doesn't grab me and I did support Felipe and GIO in previous seasons, as you know, not that it helped them much!!

Felipe and Gio had trouble adapting to FE but your other driver Edoardo Mortara is still in the series and has done quite well over the past two years.:-) 2nd in 2021 and 3rd last year.

wisepie
13th March 2023, 12:07
Felipe and Gio had trouble adapting to FE but your other driver Edoardo Mortara is still in the series and has done quite well over the past two years.:-) 2nd in 2021 and 3rd last year.

I am hoping that GIO gets some reward for his efforts with the 499P in the hypercar class. I may tune in toe FE again, though, never say never!

racingbradley
13th March 2023, 16:50
I turn into FE when I need consoling. F1 has made me pretty unhappy of late and JEV is still bringing home good points to cheer me up. ;-)

wisepie
14th March 2023, 18:08
I turn into FE when I need consoling. F1 has made me pretty unhappy of late and JEV is still bringing home good points to cheer me up. ;-)

You were always a JEV tifoso, there's no driver who I feel aligned to in FE now! Just saying, and I tend to agree with F1 making us all unhappy with the current situation.

racingbradley
14th March 2023, 23:15
I am a JEV fan and he's still getting the results. I always take a keen look at Di Grassi and Buemi. They were all at the Red Bull junior team but didn't make it to RB. JEV was very disappointed when Riccardo got the job since he had a greater tally of points than Dan.
The cream always comes to the top and these 3 have won the FE championship JEV twice.:-D
FE is a difficult championship to win as fortunes change from race to race. I like to watch the 3 of them climbing up through the field. They are tough racers.
I just hope I have'nt jinxed them. :roll

p/s I got that wrong Di Grassi was at Virgin.

racingbradley
20th April 2023, 13:28
Formula e this .weekend in Berlin. It could bridge the gap till Baku

Schaun
5th January 2024, 21:12
It would be interesting to see how Nyck de Vries is going to do in Formula E after his tough exit from F1. I hope he does well and it won't be another disappointment for him.