• Greig

Kimi Raikkonen Profile

Kimi Matias Räikkönen, born October 17, 1979 in Espoo. He finished runner-up in the Formula One World Drivers' Championship in 2003 and 2005. He has driven for Sauber-Petronas (2001) and Team McLaren-Mercedes (2002-2006) and signed a 3-year deal with Ferrari for the 2007 through 2009 seasons.

Räikkönen had a long line of success in karting from the age of ten, including placing second in the 1999 European Formula Super A championship. He also competed that year in the Formula Ford Euro Cup, and by the age of twenty, he had won the British Formula Renault Winter series, winning the first four races of the year. ...
    Ferrari F1 The History

On February the 18th 1898 Enzo Ferrari was born in Modena. After being forced to leave school after the death of his father, he went on to work in the Modeno Fire Brigades workshop as a turning instructor. After serving his country in World War I, in 1918 he started to work as a test driver in Turin. He soon moved to Milan to work for CMN (Costruzioni Meccaniche Nazionali) as a racing driver and a test driver. In 1919 he made his racing debut in the Parma - Berceto race, later that year he also entered the Taraga Florio race. 1920 saw Enzo move to the racing team Alfa Romeo, at this team he formed a strong relationship which lasted over 20 years, his career progressed from a test driver to a race driver to a sales assistant and he eventually he was to be the Director of the Alfa Racing Division until 1939.

Scuderia Ferrari were founded in Modeno in 1929, the main purpose this company was to organize racing for its members. This was the beginning of a strong involvement in motor racing, this led to the creation of the official racing team and the Scuderia was to become a division of Alfa Romeo, Scuderia Ferrari took overall control of the racing team in 1933. 1940 saw the end of the Scuderia's connection with Alfa Romeo, the company then went on to establish itself as an independent organization to be called "Auto Avio Costruzioni Ferrari" the company worked for the national Aviation Company in Rome.
    Article Preview

In 1972 Enzo Ferrari's dream of a dedicated test track was realised with the building of the Fiorano track close to the factory at Maranello. The tracks main purpose is to test the latest F1 and GT racing cars, the team mechanics also use the track to practice the events of a race-simulated pit stop.

The layout of the track is typical to that of a regular road. It has a tortuosity index of 1.24, with 1,661 meters of bends and 1,339 meters of straight. The length of the standard course is 3,000 meters, extended to 3,021 meters by the new chicane built in 1992. The average speed for the course is over 160 km/h, with peaks of more than 290 km/h.

The amount of straight road and bends was designed to solve specific problems: a balance between right and left bends, bends with a differentiated radius, from 13.71 to 370 meters; bends with different features having one or more centres. Although convinced that it was impossible to repeat bends typical of other racetracks, the designers did try to include elements that resembled the salient features of some European courses. Bend no. 1 is used to assess car behaviour when braking hard. Bends 2 and 9 (sharp bends to left and right) to verify brakes when turning into the bend and engine elasticity when leaving it. ...

Welcome to TheScuderia.net let us introduce you to the history behind the site and how we got to where we are today.

Well the site in general started back in 1998 when I first got online and during some lessons at college my mate was messing about with some free website on tripod so I decided to give it a go and made a horrendous looking site that had a few pages on various subjects and one about Ferrari. And I guess it just took over from that one page, I decided to learn more about HTML and not to use those horrible templates that free places give you, to learn I basically looked at other sites, copied their HTML coding and began to understand the basics.

So anyway that's the beginnings of the site, so when I joined a new ISP they were offering free domain names for joining so I got ferrari-f1.co.uk and made a site on there, was pretty decent I guess, never had a forum or anything just a site. Then I got contacted by Rivals.net who were setting up a big sports network and F1 was included and they asked me to join them and do the Ferrari site, I accepted and that's when things got a bit bigger for the site.

Rivals put in a fair bit of money to the network and gave us a lot of publicity, I was even in my local paper and asked to write an article for a national paper in Scotland, and was on the local radio, all very glamorous I am sure you will agree! It was at Rivals that the community started to build as it was the first time I had a forum on my site, and to be honest it was very hard at first to build a Ferrari loving community and when I remember the days of 3 posts a day it makes today's thriving and ever growing forum seem even better. Rivals also taught me a lot about writing articles and being able to voice my opinions, Frank Hopkinson who was our F1 sites manager was a great help to me in learning me a little about writing and spelling!

So then it turned sour with Rivals, they spent more than they were earning and it was only the Football sites (English) that were making them money so we were basically kicked off the network, luckily for us a good man called John Wards was also on Rivals and did a Scottish football site, he was so mad at Rivals that he set up his own network and welcomed all ex-Rivals publishers to use his network for free. I took John up on that offer and the site was successful once again, actually without John Wards and Sportsnetworks then I am not sure if the site would even be here today so I will always remember that!

So now we are here, why? well because I basically wanted more overall control of the site and to be more free to make my own decisions, and also to break away from the network side of things and go it alone as others had done after Rivals. So basically that's how we got from a single page with a horrible style to the site you see today, its been quite a journey for me and all our regular visitors who without then this site would not be as big as it is today.

So what can you expect from TheScuderia.net?

News – News is our daily bread and butter. Ferrari generates so much news that keeping track of who said what is quite a tricky task. Our forums are the place to keep right up to date with everything happening.

Your Opinions – The opinions of our fellow Tifosi are very much welcomed on this site. Pay a visit to our forums or our community page to see where you can have your say. Be it a small comment on the forum or an article written for the site then every opinion is welcomed and very much appreciated.

That’s about it, so thank you for visiting us, thank you for even reading this page. And oh yeah....................... Forza Ferrari

The not so small print - This site is 100% unofficial and has no connections whatsoever with Ferrari Spa.

Q. When was Enzo Ferrari born and when did he die?
    A. Enzo Ferrari was born in February the 18th 1898 in the town of Modeno, Italy. The great man passed away on August the 14th 1988 in the town of his birth.

Q. Where and when were Ferrari formed?
    A. Ferrari were founded in 1929 by Enzo Ferrari in Modeno, Italy.

Q. Where and when did Ferrari win their first ever Grand Prix?
    A. Ferrari's first ever grand prix victory came in the 1951 British Grand Prix at Silverstone, Argentina's Froilan Josè Gonzalez at the wheel.

Q. When did Ferrari win their first Constructor's Title?
    A. Ferrari's first world constructor's title was won in the 1961 season with 40 points being enough to secure success.

Q. When did Ferrari win their first Drivers Title and who was the driver?

A. Alberto Ascari was the first driver to secure a drivers title for the Scuderia in 1952 with a total of six wins.

Q. What's the story behind the Prancing Horse emblem?
    A. The emblem dates back to a world war one pilot by the name of Francesco Baracca who died in action. In a meeting after a race win with the pilots family they asked Enzo to use the emblem to bring him luck in races, and that's what he did, although he changed the background to canary yellow to signify the colour of Modena.

Q. What does the word Scuderia mean?
    A. The term Scuderia dates back to the Middle Ages in the Italian language, it used to refer to a place where racing horses were kept. Now these racing horses are racing cars and the term Scuderia Ferrari remains.

Q. Why are Ferrari's red?
    A. Ferrari's red comes about due to the way the sport began, where each country was assigned a colour and the red for Ferrari has remained. Red was assigned to Italian cars, Green to English, Blue to France and so on. Canary yellow as seen on the Prancing Horse emblem could be classed as Ferrari's official colour as it symbolised the town of Modena.

Q. What does 'Tifosi' mean?

A. Tifosi is an Italian word to describe a group of fans that are deeply passionate about their team. A single fan would be described as Tifoso. Also used is a female version of the word with Tifosa being the singular version and Tifose being the plural.

Q. What is the record number of podium positions in a row for the Ferrari team?
    A. 53 races saw a Ferrari at least take a place on the podium. Between the Malaysian GP in 1999 through to the Japanese Grand Prix of 2002. A record that surely will never be bettered!

Q. Drivers titles and Constructor's title's, how many have belonged to Ferrari?
    A. Currently Ferrari has taken 16 constructor championships, with 15 driver titles also to their name.

Q. What has been the worst and best season's in Ferrari's history?

A. 1980 will probably be remembered as the worst season for Ferrari, finishing the season in 10th place with a total of 8 points, although in 1969 they scored just seven points which remains the lowest total of points scored by the team in any single season. Best season for Ferrari in terms of constructor points came in the 2004 season when they took the title by amassing a total of 262 points.

Q. What is the current lap record for the Fiorano test track?
    A. The lap record for modern times is 55.999 set by Michael Schumacher in the F2004 on February 1st 2004.

Q. How do I contact Ferrari?
    A. Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
    Ferrari S.p.A.
    Caselle Postale 589
    Via Emilia 1163
    I-41100 Modena, Italy

Q. I am planning a visit to Maranello do you have any information on what to expect?
    A: Map and guide to Maranello from SuffolkBen - here
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12