Thread: Enzo Ferrari : In memory 1898 - 1988

Enzo Ferrari : In memory 1898 - 1988

Twenty years ago today this great man died.

Tribute from LCDM:

Enzo Ferrari: a remarkable person

I had the pleasure to work alongside Enzo Ferrari, to know him very closely, to learn from him. He was a remarkable person, driven by a ferocious determination in following the aims he had set for himself. He knew how to create a dream car manufacturer out of nothing and made his cars collect thousands of victories on the tracks and roads all over the world, to become a universal legend.

20 years have passed since he died, the time of one generation. The Company he left behind grew and changed, but as President I always referred to the original and founding values, although without fossilizing them in the past. Today, like back then, the cars from Ferrari are a synonym for excellence, innovation, exclusivity and passion. Today, like back then, the cars with the Prancing Horse continue to win and to drive the passion of its fans on the five continents.

I want to remember him today on the website of the Company he founded, because being curious and exploiting the technologies time offers is a sign of his fundamental lessons. I am convinced that he would also have embraced the internet to keep in touch with the world of enthusiasts and fans, encouraging him, the Team and the Company to grow with passion and constant commitment.

Luca di Montezemolo

... and a nice article in the Gazzetta for those who read Italian

http://www.gazzetta.it/Motori/Formul...oferrari.shtml

We all remember and thank him for sharing his dream with the world.

Seems like LdM is tooting his own horn.

RIP, Commandatore

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

RIP Enzo Ferrari, the most amazing man in motorsport.
    "I believe today's work conditions the future, that men pass and their work remains. And each example of their work, created for the present, is a stairway of the future."- Enzo Ferrari

Luca can toot his horn...sometimes I wonder if Ferrari would still be Ferrari if it wasnt for him...he took up the mantle and somehow, Ferrari is still Ferrari, yes they are owned mostly by Fiat, but u all know the history..Enzo did that..I always thanked the race gods that Enzo didnt sell to Ford...a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    RIP iL Comandatore

I've always thought this was the best story I've ever read about Enzo . It's told by Innes Ireland , when he went to Modena for talks on a contract to drive for Ferrari .

"Speaking of being a terror-stricken passenger reminds me of the time, some little while later, when I went for a ride with Enzo Ferrari himself in a little baby Ferrari that he was considering putting into production but never did. It was an extremely fast little machine with something like a 1500cc engine. Anyway, Ferrari decided to take me for a run in it. We left the factory with a tremendous flourish, no suggestion here of stopping at the factory gate and taking a quick look up the main road that runs by - but a blare on the horn for the gateman to open up as we sped towards him, and out on to the road with the tyres screeching madly."

"The road past the factory winds through endless little cobblestone villages and the speed at which we travelled was quite alarming. I knew that Enzo Ferrari had been a racing driver once. What puzzled me was way he didn't still go on racing. I can only imagine that the local villagers must have got used to Signor Ferrari screaming sideways round the corners of their streets. Everything on that drive was at maximum. On the way back, he made no attempt to stop at the factory gates but went bounding on down the road with the horns blaring. I notice that the factory gates were firmly closed as we fairly rocketed past at about 125 miles an hour. But we had only passed the factory by a matter of three hundred yards, when he just stood on the brakes. I mean, he really leapt on the brake pedal and we came to a grinding, screaming halt. He looked at me with a great grin on his face and said: 'Hey, freno bene, si?' or whatever the Italian is for 'Aren't these brakes good?' It was impossible to answer. My stomach was way out somewhere on the front of the bonnet. Much as I love Mr. Ferrari's motor cars, I can't say I am too anxious to go for another ride with him."
    The full story here

Innes Ireland - 'The day I raced a Ferrari'

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA
    I've always thought this was the best story I've ever read about Enzo . It's told by Innes Ireland , when he went to Modena for talks on a contract to drive for Ferrari .

The full story here

Innes Ireland - 'The day I raced a Ferrari'
    Really looking forward to reading this. Thanks so much for posting the link, amico mio

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus