Thread: 'Piquet Snr to offer Junior a F1 lifeline'

'Piquet Snr to offer Junior a F1 lifeline'

Nelson Piquet Snr could offer his recently unemployed son a F1 lifeline by purchasing the BMW-Sauber team together with Peter Sauber.

Last week, BMW announced they would be withdrawing from Formula One at the end of this season, a shock decision for Peter Sauber, who still owns a share in the team.

Less than a week later, Nelson Piquet Jr confirmed that Renault had sacked him, launching a scathing attack on his team boss and manager Flavio Briatore, who he blamed for being his "executioner" and ruining his F1 career.

And although the two stories are separate entities it appears they could yet link up with reports in Brazil claiming that Piquet Snr could purchase BMW-Sauber in order to keep his son in F1.

According to O Estado Sao Paulo and O Globo, Piquet Snr is looking into linking up with Sauber, who owns 20 percent of the team, and renaming the outfit 'Sauber Piquet F1'.

The reports added that Ferrari are being considered a possible engine supplier while the team will remain Swiss-based.

Sauber, himself, admitted in the wake of BMW's announcement that was keen to ensure the team remained in F1.

"I will do everything humanly possible," he told the Bild. "I can't do wonders and I certainly do not want to be team boss on the pit wall again.

"The problem is that time is short and we need to find a solution quickly.

"I've told all my people that I will use all my contacts, but I can't guarantee anything. I am an advisor to BMW but ultimately only they can decide how to drive it forward."

how embarrassing will it be when piquet snr. also sacks piquet jnr after another dismal season he will have in 2010... i'll laugh tho
    ANDIAMO CAVALLINO RAMPANTE!!!