Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Guide* - Planning a trip to the Monza GP

*Guide* - Planning a trip to the Monza GP

Hey Guys,

Got back from Italy this morning. I've made a detailed guide of travelling, costs, times, accommodation etc. This might come in handy for anyone wanting to plan a trip to the Italian Grand Prix.

Enjoy.

Not all of this information is applicable in every case. This guide follows how I did everything. Only use the information that is applicable to your case. The Milan>Monza stuff should be applicable to everyone. Obviously if someone was to use the same accommodation as I did, more is applicable.

Milan Travelling, Costs, Times

To

•Coach from Leicester to Gatwick T2 (£45)
    •Flight from Gatwick to Malpensa T2 (£55)
    •Bus from MXP T2 to T1 (Free)
    •Train from MXP T1 to Bovisa (€11)
    •Train from Bovisa to Affori (Included in above ticket)
    •Accommodation (OstellOlinda - Website

From

•Accommodation (OstellOlinda - Website
    •Train from Affori to Cadorna (€1)
    •Train from Cadorna to MXP T1 (€11)
    •Shuttle Bus from MXP T1 to T2 (White Bus, leaves every 15 minutes) (Free)
    •Flight from MXP T2 to Gatwick (Return ticket)
    •Coach from Gatwick T2 to Leicester (Return ticket)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Out and about

Affori to Milan

•Train from Affori to Cadorna (€1) Leaves every 25 & 55
    •Short walk
    Or
    •Metro from Cadorna to Duomo (€1) 3rd stop

Affori to Monza

•Train from Affori to Cadorna (€1)
    •Metro from Cadorna to Stazione Centrale (Central Station) (€1) (Line 2, Green, 5th Stop)

(Following directions are applicable to anyone staying in Milan)

•Train from Stazione Centrale to Monza (End destination either Lecco or Tirano) (€3)
    •Walk from Monza station to Autodromo (35-40 mins + 15 to track = 55 mins)
    Or
    •Shuttle Bus from Monza station to Autodromo (15-20 mins, plus 10-15 min walk to track)

Notes

•Train from Stazione Centrale to Monza doesn't run at 9am. < 8am |•| 10am >
    •Shuttle bus doesn't run on Thursday
    •Shuttle Bus Leaves constantly from Autodromo and Monza Station (Friday>Sunday)
    •15 minute walk from the Shuttle Bus destination to the Track itself.

Collecting Race Tickets from F1.com (WWTE)

•Take your passport/Some other identification
    •Take WWTE A4 Ticket sheet (Received trough email)
    •Collection Booth, Vedano Entrance at the circuit

Food & Drink

•One meal at track - Sandwich & Drink - €9
    •Supermarket 3 minutes walk from accommodation - cheap. €25~ will get you plenty of food for the 4 track days, far more than at the track. Make your own sandwiches and take them with you.

From Affori, total transport cost for F1 - Thursday > Sunday (1 Person)

•First Train - €8
    •Metro - €8
    •Second Train - €24

Total - €40

(If your staying in Milan, minus €8 for the First Train)

Total Costs for 5 day holiday - Wed>Sun

•Accommodation - £100
    •Coach - £45
    •Race Ticket (General Admission) - £90
    •Flights - £50
    •Transport (Italy) - €40/£38
    •Food & Drink - €15/£13 p/d = £65

Total - £383

(Only apply costs that are applicable to your situation)
    Last edited by Ste; 17th September 2009 at 18:10.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

dude u r amazing!!!!

Thanks Ste !!

Now we await to read about the Italian Grand Prix Summary.

How loud was the cheer when Hamster crashed ? What was the reaction to Luca Di NOT announcing drivers for 2010 ??

C'on Ste, give us a full summary !!!!
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Just updated the first post with a circuit diagram.

Wow, that is amazing Ste! Cheers mate!

I was actually thinking about going to Monza next year (never had the opportunity to go to a GP before, so why not start with Monza I thought?). This certainly helps. Thanks again mate!

The future is RED

Thanks for taking the time to gather and post all this info Ste
    Read your report in the other section of the site, looks like you had a wonderful time.

The info will be really helpfull as it looks like the Mrs and me are going next year.
    (She's asked me to price it up & and i only need telling once!)

I wonder when the tickets go on sale?
    Last edited by Ant Raikkonen; 18th September 2009 at 08:48.

Power, Passion, Heritage, Beauty, Success = Scuderia Ferrari
    Magnum, Coke, Vodka = Kimi Raikkonen

looks great, I'm new to the site but have always been a massive ferrari fan - so thanks for putting this together, hopefully be there in 2010!

looking forward to using these message boards and hope to fit in well with all you guys!

Jeff

Welcome Jeff

"We win together, we lose together"

Quote Originally Posted by scudjeff View Post
    looks great, I'm new to the site but have always been a massive ferrari fan - so thanks for putting this together, hopefully be there in 2010!

looking forward to using these message boards and hope to fit in well with all you guys!

Jeff

Welcome aboard, Jeff!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Hey, thought I would give this old thread a bump rather than start a new one! Some good info here!

I'm going to Monza this year (), flying from Dublin into Milan Malpensa. Our Hotel is near Milan Cental rail station, does anyone know what it is like to travel from Malpensa to Milan Central? I was also wondering how easy it is to get to Monza from Milan, from what I gather it shouldn't be too difficult since we are near the rail station?

We have a general admission ticket for the race, the same as I had for Silverstone last year. What is GA like at monza, I was hoping to sit at Parabolica, Ascari or the Lesmo's, would that be possible? At Silverstone last year I would have been lost without my Kangaroo TV and it isn't available for Monza! Are there plenty of screens around the track?

Thanks guys, hope I don't have too many questions! Any info or tips about Monza would be great

Right, here we go...

Likelyhood is that you'll fly into Milan Malpensa Terminal 2. You need to be in Terminal 1 to get the train. So, just outside T2 is a shuttle bus across the road which runs every few minutes. It's free.

When you get to Terminal 1, follow the signs - but it's obvious which way to go. There's a ticket office. You want to get the train to Cadorna - where it will terminate. I think the journey was €11 to Affori and Cadorna is about another 10 minutes. So expect to pay about €15. Go down the stairs/escalator just to the side of the ticket office. Stamp the ticket in the machine before you get on the train, there's a number of machines on the platform.

Once you're in Cadorna, head straight out of the exit, which is directly ahead. You'll come out under a roof, head straight down the stairs to the Metro.

Get to a ticket machine, select English, and get a €1 single ticket. You need Line 2, the Green line. Stazione Centrale is the 5th stop. Depart from Cadorna - 1. Lanza 2. Moscova Garibaldi FS 3. Gioia 4. Stazione Centrale. (Second image, above)

Then...find your accomodation

Milan to Monza and back is fairly straight forward once you know how. Luckily I do.

You need a train from Stazione Centrale to Monza (End destination needs to be either Lecco or Tirano. This depends on the time.) (€3). The ticket machines are outside of the platform area. When you get your ticket, make sure you select Monza. I made the mistake of selecting the end destination (Lecco/Tirano) and ended up paying €17.

Also, be careful around the machines because you'll find one or maybe two people saying they'll help you and then they ask you to give them money for their help!

Monza is just one stop away. (Fourth image).

Once in Monza, you can walk to the circuit, but it will take roughly 55 minutes to be inside the circuit - if you can find the way. It's not really signposted for pedestrians. 45 minutes to Monza park and another 15 to the track.

Or, you can get the Shuttle Bus from Monza station to the circuit (15-20 mins, plus 10-15 min walk to track). These will be rammed on the 'important days'. Expect to queue for a long time heading back from the track. Hence, why I usually walk.

Now, about the GA ticket. I found GA to be actually very good at Monza. Usually I pay through the roof for a grandstand ticket, but I don't think I would again, at Monza anyway. Depending on who is policing the grandstands, it's fairly easy to sneak onto one on Friday and probably Saturday. Just try your luck. There will always be room to sit for GA though. I sat briefly on the back straight down to Parabolica on race day on a grass bank. And then moved further down towards Parabolica on some concrete bench seats under the trees. The noise there is phenomenal.

There is seating on the inside of the Lesmo's, open grandstands that aren't policed, so I assume they are classed as General Admission - maybe. Quite a nice place to sit after a walk through the forest. I didn't walk down from Ascari to the lesmo's, but there's an awesome path straight through the forest that goes from the inside of Ascari - probably worth a look.

Also, as my guide suggests, it's probably worth taking your own food. Get it from a Supermarket in Milan and take it with you. A sandwich/baguette and a drink at the track will cost you €9 alone. But for €25 you can get enough food and drink for the 3 days entirely.

If you decide to walk down from the track to Monza, head into the town. It's great and they've got some amazing Ice-Cream shops too.

There's a great little bar outside Monza called Cafe Neffa (sp?) too. Nice pints and a photo of Felipe behind the counter. Barmen dancing behind the bar, lots of drunken Finns singing outside, brilliant atmosphere. Happiest I've ever been
    Forza Jules

Neffa Cafe' Snc Di Paolo Pirola E Gabriele Spinelli
    Via Cesana e Villa, 170, 20046 Biassono Monza e Brianza, Italia

Looks like it's just outside Monza Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Right, here we go...
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write that, it's really helpful!! I can't wait now, it seems hard to believe there is only 1 race between now and Monza and I booked it before the season even started! I'll definitely take a walk around the track on the Friday and find a good spot during either F1 Practice or the GP2, that's what I did at Silverstone and I was able to try lots of different spots.

I'll keep a lookout for Cafe Neffa Suzie, thanks! Hopefully I can go somewhere like that to celebrate a Ferrari 1-2!

No worries, happy to help. Hope you have a great time.

Thanks Ste for finding that address. Must look it up on Google street view. Ah, maybe next year.
    Forza Jules

Click Me

I'm sure this is on the road where the normal buses go. If I remember rightly, it drops you off on the right past that petrol station...maybe.
    Last edited by Ste; 8th August 2010 at 12:40.

Yeah, all the coaches line up outside there as well, and the entrance to Monza is beside the petrol station on the other side of the road.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Yeah, all the coaches line up outside there as well, and the entrance to Monza is beside the petrol station on the other side of the road.
    Ah, thought so

I think the shuttle buses take a different route though, since they go to Monza Park itself. I'll have to figure out their route.

I'm a bit confused as to where the shuttle buses drop you off, but it might be where I circled. I remember walking crossing those fields to the right of it.
    Neffa cafe top left

Hi,
    I am not new to the site but this is my first post here. I am going to Monza this year too. Thanks for the info Ste it is really useful. As you are familiar with GA can you tell me if a 3 days GA pass is valid for the pit lane walk on Thursday too? Thanks.
    Anna

Quote Originally Posted by mikanna View Post
    Hi,
    I am not new to the site but this is my first post here. I am going to Monza this year too. Thanks for the info Ste it is really useful. As you are familiar with GA can you tell me if a 3 days GA pass is valid for the pit lane walk on Thursday too? Thanks.
    Anna
    Yea GA includes the Thursday pitwalk.

Quote Originally Posted by mikanna View Post
    Hi,
    Anna
    Yea GA includes the Thursday pitwalk.

Thanks.

I found this article which I thought would fit in here.

How to take great F1 pictures at Monza
    3 September 2011 by Jamey Price

Podium, Monza, 2010

If you’re heading to Monza for next week’s Italian Grand Prix, don’t miss your chance to get some great pictures of F1 cars in action.

Guest writer Jamey Price takes you on a photographer’s tour of Monza and points out some of the best spots to shoot from.

I have been fortunate enough to attend five Grands Prix, beginning with the infamous six-car fiasco at Indianapolis in 2005. I went to the United States Grand Prix again in 2006 and 2007 and was at Monaco in 2008.

Last year I made my first visit to Monza for the Italian Grand Prix. I cannot speak for all the circuits on the calendar but it is by far the most picturesque of the tracks I have been to.

If you’re going there next week planning to take some photographs, make sure you spend time researching where you want to shoot from to maximize your weekend of making images.

Pit walk

Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus, Monza, 2010

The Thursday pit walk is an excellent opportunity to get pictures. There are great images to be had and may be as close to the cars and drivers as you can get, unless you are very wealthy and have a Paddock Club pass.

Many teams do rolling pit stop practice which is a great chance to play with slow shutter speeds and watch the teams practice. Drivers also mingle outside the garages signing autographs for fans.

Because it’s Monza, don’t even bother with the big-name drivers. When I was there Alonso, Massa, Vettel and Webber were mobbed by a crowd of hundreds.

Instead, take a walk down the pit lane. The further you go, the smaller the crowds get and the better images you can make of drivers and cars. Use your feet and use your eyes and get those your creative juices flowing for the rest of the weekend.

Once the cars are on track, the real fun begins. Take full advantage of all the practice and qualifying sessions. Walk around the track, with your camera at the ready in case someone bins it or pops an engine. You have several hours of practice to see what works and what doesn’t – and that includes the non-F1 sessions too.

Curva Biassono

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Monza, 2010

Let’s start at turn 3, properly called Curva Biassono.

At first sight, you wouldn’t think that getting anything from turn three would be possible. But here we need to apply the technique of shooting through catch fences I described in “How to take great pictures at F1 races” earlier this year.

You can pretty much aim straight through the fence and shoot the cars at a high shutter speed and wide open aperture to more or less make the fence go away. This particular area will be better suited to shooters with nice glass that can go to aperture f4 or wider.

Remember, when you want the fence to disappear in the photo, stand as close to the fence as possible. Shoot wide open with a high shutter speed.

Alternatively, you can shoot a wider angle photo with pretty much any lens, just slow the shutter speed down to get some artistic motion blur shots of the cars screaming by you. I have seen quite a few of Darren Heath’s photos from inside the general admission areas doing this exact thing.

Last note: don’t forget your ear protection here! The cars are close and they howl past at full throttle.

Variante della Roggia

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monza, 2010

On to the second chicane. If you stand facing turn the right-hand part of this corner, you will have a clear shot at the rear of the cars as they make the quick left then right of the turn. Use the “shoot through the fence” technique again, just play with it.

Once you’ve had a few minutes to try this spot, walk around and head up onto the grandstand. There is a photo hole facing directly up the track toward turn three where the cars will be coming straight at you. Kneel down on the front row and shoot through the hole in the fence. Just be sure you don’t block anyone’s view.

I also recommend heading up toward the very back of the grandstand and shooting some nice pan shots of the cars as they exit over the rumble strip at turn five. However, when I was shooting this spot during P3, I was one of probably 50 or 60 photographers trying to get the same photo.

Kerbs, Monza, 2010

If you want to be a professional photographer, you should see this mass of photographers and immediately keep walking. Make images that are different than everyone else’s or you will never stand out in a crowded world. Every one of those photographers probably has the same image, or something very similar.

Still, it is worth sitting for a few minutes, getting some pan shots and listening to the car’s engine bouncing over the exit rumble strip. It is an amazing sound for sure.

Lesmo 1 and 2

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Monza, 2010

Walk up the track toward the Lesmo bends. These corners create a particularly difficult challenge and you will need to be proficient at panning to make anything of it.

As I mentioned, Darren Heath has used this spot to make nice images of cars ripping into the second Lesmo with the big tall trees to create a very arty shot which clearly shows the beauty of Monza. Slow the shutter speed as much as you dare. It’s a difficult shot to nail, but it is possible: practice, practice, practice.

My favourite shooting spot is a little further on where the modern track passes underneath the old banking. The cars come screaming at you at over 200mph and the noise is something I will never forget.

This is a spot that not that many people know about or use to its full advantage. Wander around until you find a clear vantage onto the track and get to work. You can try panning but the speed of the cars and the direction of travel make getting anything with a slow shutter speed extremely difficult to get. But if it does happen to work, it works really well.

Make sure you walk over the bridge. There are a few holes in the fences but they were all filled up by photographers when I was there.

Parabolica

Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, Monza, 2010

The last spot I recommend is turn 11, Parabolica. Use the grandstand on the outside of the turn which sits high enough over the catch fencing that you can shoot over it.

Try using a pan shot, but I will tell you it is difficult. I recommend a fast shutter speed to freeze the car as it powers through the tight 180-degree turn.

Finally, don’t forget to enjoy the race! Make sure you’re in a position to run out onto the track once the marshals allow the crowd to do so. It was an absolutely amazing experience that I will never forget. And I’m glad I have the photos to re-live it.

No pass needed

Infield Flags, Monza, 2010

I saw several comments on my previous F1 photography articles saying that my tips and tricks, while helpful, didn’t apply to those who don’t have press access.

All the vantage point I’ve described above and all the photographs you see were taken without and kind of press pass whatsoever. All that got me into the circuit was a standard three-day general admission ticket.

I’ll say it once, I’ll say it a hundred times: There is absolutely no reason that anyone with a camera at a Grand Prix can’t take photos that will rival any professional’s images from the weekend – certainly at a gorgeous track like Monza.

What sets the professionals apart isn’t just their access, it’s their creative ability. Now get snapping!

For more tips and tricks see my guide to taking F1 pictures published here in April:

How to take great pictures at F1 races: Part 1
    How to take great pictures at F1 races: Part 2
    Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 Racing belongs to Ferrari
    I'm so proud to drive for this team." - Felipe Massa Brazil '08
    I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance - Michael Schumacher

I was at the Italian GP this year myself! I had the most amazing time and would for sure recommend it to anyone with a Ferrari passion or even a motor racing passion. My boyfriend (a tifoso himself...I don't think I could date anyone other than a tifoso really!lol!) managed to spot Stefano Domenicali on Friday and I was fortunate enough to meet him and spent a few minutes chatting. Stefano is sort of my idol so I was on cloud nine after speaking to him! For those of you who have never met him, he is genuinely nice and made time to spend a few moments with all of those who wanted to wish him luck. (and trust me...many of these F1 celebs want nothing better than to run and hide in Monza! LOL!) Ross Brawn in comparison was giving me the death stare and it conjured images of his shockingly calm and monotone voice arguing with Patrick Head in an FIA press conference....so yeah, I steered clear! Anyway, Monza! One of my favourite things about Monza was the Alta Velocita banking! On Friday I managed to get in at the first corner and it really is even steeper than you imagine it to be! Amazing! Another thing that I loved was the track staff! I visited Monza for the first time in July and spent a decent amount of time chatting with one of the employees at a cafe near the pit lane. He was a fanatical Ferrari fan and was especially thrilled to discover that I was Canadian like his idol Gilles Villeneuve! When I returned to the same cafe to get some refreshment on pit lane open day he recognized me and even remembered my name!!! He also gave me a random pass for something but I never used it as I was so excited about the whole weekend that I forgot!!!! (I hope it wasn't a paddock pass! naaaah couldn't have been!) They all speak decent english but LOVE it when you speak Italian! I also really enjoyed the freedom of movement on Friday! I sat at Ascari for a bit, opposite the pit lane and at turn one...great value for money! The only thing that annoyed me was not being able to stand outside the Ferrari garage after the race. The walls are too high at Monza but I guess that I get spoiled in Montreal! The transportation was also awful but I expected as much! Overall you will not be dissapointed going to Monza! One more thing...I was sitting at the first corner and witnessed that moment when Fernando Alonso took the lead! BEST MOMENT EVER!!!

Welcome aboard

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

One more important piece of information that I forgot to disclose. If you visit Monza when there's no events running forget about the bus, take the train to Biassono-Lesmo station which drops you right outside the circuit. What you must not do however is get off the train at Buttafava, I did this and would have ended up walking for 30-40 minutes in the Italian countryside if a nice Italian lady hadn't found me wandering along a dirt road! LMFAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Tifosa View Post
    One more important piece of information that I forgot to disclose. If you visit Monza when there's no events running forget about the bus, take the train to Biassono-Lesmo station which drops you right outside the circuit. What you must not do however is get off the train at Buttafava, I did this and would have ended up walking for 30-40 minutes in the Italian countryside if a nice Italian lady hadn't found me wandering along a dirt road! LMFAO!
    I wonder if you would be willing to do an "insiders guide to Ferrari land" thread?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus