Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: v8 supercar latest

Centaur off to a flying start
    Monday 18/01/2010 09:00

Source: BigPond Sport - copyright

Tony D’Alberto’s brand new race team will be named Centaur Racing after the company that will sponsor it.

Centaur is a brand name under the D’Alberto family’s Bellmont company, which helped launch the Victoria Police VE Commodore divisional van featuring a Centaur ‘pod’ last September.

Following an amicable split with Rod Nash Racing last year, the D’Albertos bought one of the Tasman Motorsport Racing Entitlement Contracts and D’Alberto will now run with the #3 on the side of his Commodore.

Rather than resting on its laurels, Centaur Racing has already enlisted Shane Price as the co-driver for the endurance races.

The pair has competed against each other since their karting days and D’Alberto, the 2007 Fujitsu Series Champion, said Price was too good an opportunity to pass up.

“Shane is a quality driver; he’s got a competitive nature and he wants to showcase his talents,” D’Alberto said.

“He knows the car; knows the tracks and wants to win.

“With the changes to driving pairings at the endurance races, we wanted to make sure we secured a driver that was on the cusp of racing V8s full-time, especially someone who has raced in a Walkinshaw car in the past, and Shane ticks every box.”

Price was dumped by Perkins Engineering late in 2008, but is viewed as a future V8 talent.

He finished 12th at the L&H 500 and 16th at the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 with Steve Owen for Walkinshaw Racing last year.

“Tony and I have been racing against each other for more than half our lives, which is a strange way to look at it given our ages,” Price said.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity with a dedicated team; they put in the hard yards and always aim for the top.

“Tony’s been in contention at Bathurst the last three years, with two top-10 results, which is a good reflection of the progress being made.

“I’m looking forward to playing a role in that progress.”

Price, who will also take part in the test for Victorian teams at Winton Motor Raceway on February 8, said he was looking forward to the opportunity.

“The guys have been going flat out behind the scenes to prepare a car that will push us towards the pointy end. I can’t wait to get behind the wheel.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

V8s sprint the whole way
    Monday 18/01/2010 13:45

| Source: BigPond Sport - copyright

The Dunlop SP Sports Maxx Sprint, trialled for the first time in V8 Supercars last year, will have a greater presence in 2010 with the announcement two events will be held entirely using these softer tyres.

Winton Raceway’s V8 Supercar event in May and Barbagallo Raceway’s BigPond 300 in June are named as the likely events where only the Sprint tyres will be used.

“After a successful trial of the Dunlop Sprint (soft) tyre in 2009 V8 Supercars is proud to announce that for the 2010 Season we will be conducting two race meetings where all competitors will use Sprint tyres only,” teams were advised today (Monday).

“After the positive feedback received from teams and drivers alike, V8 Supercars expects this exciting new format to create close and entertaining racing at both circuits.”

The format for both the events will remain the same as the other sprint events and each car will be allocated 20 Sprint tyres, along with eight used control tyres or in the case of rookies or drivers in the lower half of the Championship, 12 used control tyres.

Frosty extends FPR contract
    Tuesday 19/01/2010 11:00

Source: BigPond Sport - copyright

Ford Performance Racing (FPR) has announced today (Tuesday) that star driver Mark ‘Frosty’ Winterbottom will remain with the team until 2013.

And tech guru, Campbell Little will stay on with FPR as Frosty’s engineer.

“I am very pleased to confirm a further three years with FPR, which has been my racing home since 2006,” Winterbottom said.

“This is a great team with enormous potential and we have unfinished Championship business to attend to in the seasons ahead.

“I am very proud to continue my long and successful association with Ford through this new agreement and together with all Blue Oval fans, we are hungrier than ever to become V8 Supercar Champions.

“I am looking forward to the next exciting chapter in my career with FPR starting in Abu Dhabi next month.”

FPR Team Principal, Tim Edwards, said the team was “extremely happy” to secure Winterbottom’s services for another three years.

“Mark has been a great asset to the team and the key to our recent success,” he said.

“Knowing he's committed to our chase for a championship we can now confidently employ some new strategies to achieve this.”

Winterbottom will have his first V8 Supercar outing for 2010 when FPR tests the Orrcon Steel FPR Falcon at Winton Motor Raceway on February 8.

The news that Frosty and Little will team up for 2010 will be welcome news for Blue Oval fans considering that Falcons make up only a third of this year’s V8 Supercar grid.

Little worked for Stone Brothers Racing during its glory years and was the engineer who oversaw Winterbottom’s Development Series victory in 2003.

He worked for Triple Eight Racing until early last year, where he took up the position of Category Technical Director with V8 Supercars Australia.

But he left the role after the now infamous splitter saga and later joined FPR where he helped turn the team’s fortunes around towards the end of the season, with Winterbottom finishing the Championship in fifth.

HRT goes back to its roots
    Wednesday 20/01/2010 11:15

Author: Briar Gunther | Source: BigPond Sport - copyright

Toll HRT's 2010 livery
    Toll Holden Racing Team (HRT) released its livery for the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship this morning (Wednesday), revealing it had replaced last year's Day-Glo livery with a more traditional red one.

Holden Design’s Peter Hughes created the livery, which like the team’s 2010 uniforms, features more black.

The livery has been described as a “logical evolution of past schemes” and was inspired by the team’s one-off 2008 Bathurst livery.

Red Rooster has come on board as a new sponsor for the factory Holden team and features on the bonnet and under the wing.

HRT driver Garth Tander emceed the team's 2010 livery launch, which took place at Holden's Port Melbourne facility.

Fellow driver Will Davison took to the stage later, where he and GT bantered about the 2009 season, what lies ahead and what they were doing 20 years ago when the team was founded.

After joking that Davison, 27, was still in nappies at the time, Tander reminisced about Win Percy and Allan Grice’s Bathurst win in 1990, beating the Ford Sierras and Nissan GT-Rs.

Tander said the reigning Bathurst and V8 Supercar Teams’ Champions would push for even greater results this year with the goal of reclaiming the V8 Supercar Drivers Championship.

“For much of the past 20 years, the Toll Holden Racing Team has been V8 Supercar’s powerhouse team, and for the past two seasons there has been a concerted effort to get Toll HRT back to where it deserves to be,” he said.

“With Will on board 2009 was a successful year, but it is a sign of the determination within Toll HRT that despite all that we won we still aren’t satisfied as we did not win the driver’s title.

“We appreciate what we achieved, but Will and I are not resting on our laurels.

“There have been a lot of changes over the off-season and we are looking to exploit those; we are going to push harder than ever before.”

Davison, who finished as the runner-up last year, said he was looking forward to returning to the track and improving on his stellar 2009 season.

“It is a privilege to drive for the Toll Holden Racing Team; 2010 is a very special year in the team’s history and to be able to race such a stunning and tough looking car will be an honour,” he said.

“With a year at Toll HRT under my belt, I am now very comfortable and really feel part of the Holden family.

“At the beginning of last year a lot of people said I could win the Championship, but with a new team it was probably the last thing on my mind.

“Having a team like Toll HRT around you is motivating and I am now well aware of what I am capable of with a team like this.

“I am going into the new season knowing exactly what I want to achieve, and my expectations are high.”

Don’t rule Ford out yet: Courtney
    Tuesday 21/12/2010 07:00

Author: Press Release | Source: James Courtney

James Courtney, winner of the final race of the 2009 V8 Supercar Championship, remains upbeat and amused amid claims he and other Falcon drivers will be dominated by Holden in this year’s series.

“Holden are talking themselves up as the January champions, which is good for a laugh, but you don't actually win anything until December,” the Jim Beam Racing Falcon driver said.

“Let’s wait and see what happens because a Falcon built by Triple Eight Engineering won the title the last couple of years (2008 and 2009).

“I’ve got one of those cars (Triple Eight Engineering-built Falcon) so I know I’ve got as good a shot as anyone at this year’s title.

“They say you’re only as good as your last race, which I won (in Sydney on December 6), and I’m keen to give our team’s fans plenty more to cheer about this season.”

Courtney’s comments follow a report in the latest edition of V8X magazine where Simon McNamara from Holden Motorsport was reported to have said: “Ford dropped the ball and I honestly can’t see them winning anything in 2010. I want to fill the entire podium with Commodores. I like domination and I like crushing.”

Courtney said he was also unfazed by the fact there could be only 10 Falcons racing against up to 19 Commodores in this year’s Championship.

“You only need one car to win the title, backed up by the best engineering, driver and team package,” the 29-year-old Gold Coast-based racer said.

“There’s no advantage having twice as many Commodores if half of them finish in the bottom 10 places.”

Courtney said the main shift in power for 2010 was Holden recruiting TeamVodafone and its drivers Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes.

“I think this season you will see the same six or seven guys up the front going for the win, but the balance will be different because the TeamVodafone guys are in Holdens,” Courtney said.

“That will make Holden stronger, but not unbeatable. There will still be fast Falcons - both Mark Winterbottom (Ford Performance Racing) and I have won races in each of the past two years.

“My teammate Steven Johnson was sixth in the Championship last season so there could be races this year when Falcons fill the podium.”

Courtney said his 2010 prospects were enhanced by the continuity of driving for Jim Beam Racing again. He won two races and had six podium finishes in his debut season with the team in 2009.

“We have shown we can win when things go our way, so the challenge now is to make it happen more often and go for the championship,” he said.

Courtney said it was essential he made a strong start to the 2010 season, which begins in Abu Dhabi (February 19-20), followed by Bahrain (February 25-27), Adelaide (March 11-14), and Hamilton in New Zealand (April 16-18).

“Abu Dhabi is new for everyone, but that doesn't worry me,” Courtney said. “Last year we had two new tracks in Townsville and Sydney and I won races at both of them.

“I've also been on the podium at Bahrain, Adelaide, and Hamilton, so I expect to be competitive from day one.”

Courtney said an intriguing aspect of the championship which could work in his favour was the anticipated ‘in-house’ rivalry between the factory-backed Commodores of the Holden Racing Team and TeamVodafone.

“Both will want to establish themselves as No. 1 at Holden,” Courtney said. “They come from British origins and have been battling each other overseas for years.

“If they start taking points off each other then it might be easier for me to sneak through under their guard.”

Hilltop Hoods book in for the 2010 Clipsal 500 Adelaide
    Wednesday 20/01/2010

Source: V8 Latest News

The secret is finally out concerning which acts are to appear at the Friday night (March 12) concert at the 2010 Clipsal 500 Adelaide.

‘There has been a huge demand building up wanting to know the answer and it’s huge with South Australia’s own Hilltop Hoods together with Midnight Juggernauts, Funkoars, and Lowrider at the event. We have finally pulled it off’, Clipsal 500 Adelaide Chief Executive Jason Allen said today.

‘The Jim Beam TrackSounds On-Circuit Concert Series is free to all Clipsal 500 Adelaide ticket holders (ticket valid for day of event and concert) and the Friday night gig presented by SAFM is really going to go off’, said Jason Allen.

Hilltop Hoods

The Hilltop Hoods is unquestionably Australia’s premier Hip Hop crew and continue to take all before them with their fifth studio album State of the Art.

They continue to rewrite Hip Hop rules, not only in the Australian context but on the world stage as one of the first local crews to have a serious release in Europe and North America.

#1 album State of the Art is unmistakably the “Hoods”, but quite unlike anything they’ve ever done before. Lots of guitars, strings and other sounds you can’t quite make out all interweaving in a cutting-edge cacophony of words, rhymes and the heaviest of samples.

Following their fourth album in 2006, The Hard Road, the “Hoods” worked virtually non-stop on State of the Art in their home studios in Adelaide.

It’s been a long time coming, but State of the Art is everything “Hoods” fans could have wished for. It’s dark, heavy, challenging, raw and occasionally funny. It’s State of the Art in sound and soul.

Prepare to be surprised from the explosive opening track, the aptly-titled ‘The Return’, right through to the closing cut ‘Fifty In Five’, which sees the last fifty years deconstructed and reconstructed in a flash right in front of your very ears. It’s breathtaking and the Hilltop Hoods will be live on stage at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide.

The members of Hilltop Hoods are MCs Suffa (Matt Lambert), Pressure (Daniel Smith) DJ Debris (Barry Francis) and formerly DJ Next.

Midnight Juggernauts

It’s been almost two years since Midnight Juggernauts released their debut album, Dystopia, on an unsuspecting musical public. And now, a new journey is in the making.

The trio has been busy producing album number two alongside Chris Moore (TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Liars, Foals, Yeasayer), and recently previewed new album tracks at 2009’s Splendour in the Grass.

In the Midnight Juggernauts' Dystopia constellation a line could be traced from the modern symphony of M83 and Air, all the way back to the electronic psychedelia of CAN and the pop smarts of Electric Light Orchestra. John Carpenter was in the director's chair, Georgio Moroder was compiling the soundtrack, and Goblin was screaming from the shadows.

Funkoars

Funkoars members are Mr. Trials (Producer/MC), Uncle Sesta (Producer/MC), Sketchy Hons (MC) and DJ Reflux (DJ) and were established in 1999.

Funkoars debut album Who’s Your Step Daddy was released by Peepshow Entertainment in 2003 and followed by The Greatest Hits in 2006. The production was mostly handled by Sesta and Trials who have gone on to receive exposure producing for the Hilltop Hoods.

Lowrider

Founded in Adelaide in 2004 Lowrider took little time in establishing themselves as one of the State’s most promising young bands.

Hilltop Hoods DJ Debris announced himself a Lowrider fan saying they are ‘one of the smoothest bands he has heard with an incredible soulful sound with the Hip Hop-esque driving groove’.

The Clipsal 500 Adelaide is to be conducted from March 11-14 as Round 3 and 4 of the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series.

Entry to the Jim Beam TrackSounds On-Circuit Concerts is free to holders of Clipsal 500 Adelaide tickets valid for the day of the concert.

For tickets phone Ticketek on 132 849 or book online at www.ticketek.com.au

Visit the event web site www.clipsal500.com.au for further information

*The event may add, withdraw, re-schedule or substitute artists and/or vary the event program.

Jack’s back with Kelly Racing
    Thursday 21/01/2010 16:30

Author: Briar Gunther | Source: BigPond Sport - copyright

The 2010 livery
    Kelly Racing will be back in black for 2010 with the news that Jack Daniel’s has re-signed with the team.

The team revealed its 2010 livery at a launch in Melbourne’s Docklands this afternoon (Thursday) along with the announcement that Jack will also be back and that blue-chip companies SuperMax Razors, Powerbuilt Tools, Mack Trucks and Harley-Davidson have come on board as new sponsors for the team’s 2010 campaign.

Kelly Racing’s deal with Jack Daniel’s is reportedly one of the largest team sponsorship deals in Australian sport and will see both Rick and Todd Kelly’s Commodores branded as Jack Daniel’s Racing.

Neither party would confirm the length of the partnership, but Michael McShane, the Managing Director of Brown-Forman Australia whose parent company Brown-Forman owns the iconic whiskey maker, described it as a “standard” multi-year arrangement suggesting a two or three-year deal.

“We’re not inclined to tell anyone the exact details but we’re very happy with the partnership,” McShane said.

“There’s an old saying in Jack Daniel’s that goes ‘if you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life’.”

The extension speaks volumes for both Kelly Racing and the V8 Supercar Championship considering Forman-Brown withdrew from its NASCAR commitments in the Unites States this year.

Kelly Racing debuted in last year’s V8 Supercar Championship Series but by the end of the season Todd and Rick had clocked up a number of podiums between them and were even in contention to win the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

Rick said the team was proud to retain the famous brand as its major backer.

“To have Jack Daniel’s show this level of support and commitment following our first year is simply awesome,” he said.

“We are truly lucky to have Jack Daniel’s onboard as well as lots of other great sponsors, which also highlights the job that the team has done so far.

“To be only one-year-old and to already be strengthening our sponsorship portfolio is something that makes every single person within our team very proud.”

Todd said that he and the entire team enjoyed a special relationship with Jack Daniel’s.

“The relationship that we’ve built with Jack Daniel’s has been awesome,” he said.

“To have a sponsor that is so involved with the team and is not just a sponsor, but a friend, is great for us.

“Having Jack Daniel’s confirmed is fantastic. It gives us real security and stability and that’s incredibly important when you are building a team.”

Despite showing such strong results in the team’s debut year, Kelly said they have still got a long way to go.

“But this is certainly a massive step towards getting there,” he said.

“The Jack Daniel’s brand is a big part of what we do and how we are seen.

“For them to have this level of confidence in us after just a short period is pretty special.”

Brown-Forman first entered V8 Supercar racing as a naming-rights sponsor in 2006 with Larry Perkins’ former team.

McShane said he was excited to confirm that the successful relationship between Jack Daniel’s and Kelly Racing will continue.

“It’s not so much a sponsorship as it is a partnership,” he said.

“Everyone at Jack Daniel’s is extremely excited to be continuing our great relationship with Todd and Rick Kelly and everyone at Kelly Racing.

“Kelly Racing is a great fit for Jack Daniel’s, with Rick and Todd as key ambassadors for our brand.

“We see V8 Supercars as a great platform for the Jack Daniel’s brand and the promotion of our ‘Pace Yourself, Drink Responsibly’ message.

“We look forward to promoting our social responsibility message and our brand with the team well into the future.”

And Rick sees representing the team’s new sponsors both on and off the race track as a true privilege.

“It gives me goose bumps to think about the brands that are associated with our team,” he said.

“Nick (Ryan, Kelly Racing’s Commercial Manager) and our commercial team have done a great job of selecting sponsors that really suit Jack Daniel’s and ourselves and represent the same things that we do.

“SuperMax, Powerbuilt, Mack, Harley-Davidson and all of our sponsors suit Jack Daniel’s Racing really well and the big thing we have in common with all of our sponsors is that we are extremely passionate about our brand, our racing and our business.”

Rick said all of the partners are not just sponsors but very much a part of the team.

“That’s something that I always aimed to do with our race team and so have Todd and Nick, but to get to this level of backing so quickly is amazing,” he said.

The new livery will be on track for the first time at the official test day of the V8 Supercar season on Monday, February 8 at Winton Motor Raceway in Victoria.

The 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series kicks off in Abu Dhabi at the spectacular Yas Marina Circuit on February 19-20.

Due to alcohol sponsorship laws, Jack Daniel’s Racing will run an interim livery at the first two events of the season in the Middle East before giving the new design its race debut at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide on March 11-14.

V8 Supercars: In short
    Friday 22/01/2010 10:00

Source: BigPond Sport

PMM at Sydney
    Control wheel test successful

V8 Supercars prepared for the introduction of the new 17” Rimstock control wheel with a test last month.

V8 Supercars Australia Racing Director, Adam Perry, said the new wheels, which cost $500 as opposed to the wheels used in previous years, which costs twice as much.

“Paul Morris Motorsport tested the wheels at the Holden Performance Driving Centre in Norwell (Qld) where they did about 70 laps without any problems whatsoever,” he said.

Perry explained that the wheels had already undergone extensive factory testing and the exercise was simply to test them on a V8 Supercar.

“We weren’t expecting any issues and there were no great surprises,” he said.

“All in all I think it was quite successful and we were really happy with the result and are looking forward to a successful relationship with Rimstock who are supplying the wheels.”

Walkinshaw Racing tests separately

Toll Holden Racing Team and Bundaberg Red Racing will hold their first test for 2010 a week earlier than the other Victorian teams.

While the official Victorian test takes place at Winton Motor Raceway on February 8, the two teams in the Walkinshaw Racing stable head to Winton on February 1, exactly a week earlier.

This is because two of the four Walkinshaw Commodores will depart for Abu Dhabi, where the inaugural Yas V8 400 takes place from February 19-20, from Brisbane instead of Melbourne.

James versus Goliath

Jim Beam Racing driver James Courtney got in some early practice at taking pole position in this year’s V8 Supercar Championship by being one of the first people to pole feed Dreamworld's massive five-metre salt water crocodile, Goliath.

Courtney stood on a special feeding ramp and used a 1.2-metre pole to dangle fresh chicken over the croc pond earlier this month to promote Dreamworld’s new Croc Feeding Experience.

“Getting through a V8 Supercars race is a heart pumping experience, but nothing compares to feeding a one tonne croc,” he said.

“Goliath's head is twice the size of my shoulders and he is 15 times my body weight.”

The former Dancing with the Stars contestant spent the festive season relaxing with his wife Carys and daughter Zara at their Gold Coast home and the Courtneys are expecting their second child next month.

“The holiday season is almost over and I'm as hungry for a win as Goliath is for his lunch,” he said.

V8 Supercar nuptials

Stone Brothers Racing driver Alex Davison married Melanie Hardy, his partner of more than eight years, at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne on January 10.

Guests included his brother and Toll Holden Racing driver Will, 2009 Champion Jamie Whincup and SBR co-owner Ross Stone.

The newlyweds, whose daughter Lily turns one in March, spent their honeymoon in Melbourne with family.

Meanwhile, Garry Rogers Motorsport driver Lee Holdsworth is set to tie the knot with his fiancée, Alana, on the Gold Coast later this month.

SBR cocktail party launch

Stone Brothers Racing will launch its 2010 V8 Supercar Championship campaign with a cocktail reception on Friday, January 29 from 7pm at SBR's Yatala workshop.

Tickets cost $140 each and the night includes the unveiling of the Irwin and SP Tools Falcon liveries, live music and a charity auction of sporting memorabilia and sponsor products, with proceeds going to Brisbane’s Royal Children’s Hospital.

For more information call Anna on (07) 3807 7768 or email anna@stonebrothersracing.com.au

Davo joins Twitter

2010 Toll Holden Racing Team driver and Bathurst Champion, Will Davison, has joined the popular social networking website Twitter.

Davison recently decided to use Twitter to keep in contact with his fans and sponsors throughout the 2010 V8 Supercar season by posting regular Tweets on his Twitter page.

You can follow Davison on Twitter by heading to http://twitter.com/willdavison22

“Twitter really does give me the chance to keep in contact with friends and fans alike,” he said.

“It will give them the chance to keep up to date with things that happen throughout the season that they otherwise might not hear about.

“I think what’s most important is that Twitter enables me to get closer to the fans so that I can keep them informed as I shoot for the number one spot in 2010!”

New shine for Armor All Townsville 400
    Friday 22/01/2010 17:00

Author: Press Release | Source: V8 Supercars Australia

V8 Supercars Australia is happy to announce Armor All as naming rights sponsor of the hugely successful Townsville 400, increasing its overall involvement in the V8 Supercar Championship Series.

As Official Car Care Products of the V8 Supercar Championship Series, Armor All secured a two-year agreement which features the naming rights sponsorship of the successful Townsville-based V8 Supercars event - Armor All Townsville 400 - for 2010 and 2011.

The inaugural Townsville 400 was an enormous success, attracting an attendance of 168,057 while bringing an economic benefit of around $20 million to the far north Queensland region and winning the 2009 V8 Supercars Event of the Year.

Armor All also retains its status as the “Official Car Care Products” of the V8 Supercar Championship Series and as Naming Rights sponsor of the "Armor All Qualifying", "Armor All Top Ten Shootout", “Armor All Pole Position Award", "Armor All Pole Position Champion" and "Armor All Best Presented Award”.

“Armor All is very excited to extend its sponsorship of the V8 Supercars Australia until 2011, which will see our great partnership with V8 Supercars continue,” said Paul Blair, Clorox (Armor All) Marketing & Channel Manager – Automotive.

“After coming on board in 2006, we have enjoyed four seasons in the sport. V8 Supercars has proven to be a great way to market our brand, and we are looking forward to the increased Armor All involvement in our fifth and sixth season in the Championship Series.

“Now, we have taken yet another step to increase our presence in the market by supporting one of the greatest sporting events in Australia – the Armor All Townsville 400. After such a successful event in 2009, lending our name to the event was an opportunity not to be missed.”

V8 Supercars Australia acting CEO Shane Howard welcomes Armor All in its continued involvement with V8 Supercars.

“I’m very pleased Armor All will continue to be a part of V8 Supercars for another two years,” said Mr Howard.

“Armor All is a great, iconic international brand and it’s fitting it has decided to lend its name to one of the great events on the V8 Supercar calendar – the Townsville 400.

“The 2010 Championship Series promises to be the greatest V8 Supercar season yet. It starts at two world-class circuits in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, returns to Australia for the ever-impressive Clipsal 500 and will revisit two great sport and entertainment events at Townsville and the Sydney Telstra 500.”

The Townsville 400 exceeded all expectation in 2009 and is expected to grow significantly in 2010 as the entire far north Queensland region takes ownership of the event.

Tickets to the 2010 Armor All Townsville 400 (July 9-11, 2010) are on sale now through Ticketek at www.ticketek.com.au

HRT starts 2010 stronger
    Friday 22/01/2010 18:00

| Source: BigPond Sport

Toll Holden Racing Team
    Walkinshaw Racing Chief Executive Officer, Craig Wilson, said Toll Holden Racing Team (HRT) will start the 2010 V8 Championship stronger than last year.

As the team clocks up its 20th year of existence, Wilson said changes early in 2009, including the addition of Will Davison to the driver line-up, impeded HRT’s start to the season.

“We were pleased with the improvements that we were making the first half of last year but we were obviously introducing Will, who was new to the team (and) we wrestled with a few changes in the car,” he said.

“And I’m pleased to say that we are starting this year in a much stronger position.”

While HRT might not have had the best start to 2009 the team gathered momentum as the season progressed, finishing with victory at both endurance races and the Teams’ Championship while drivers Davison and Garth Tander finished the Drivers’ Championship second and third respectively.

Wilson said that momentum would continue to roll along.

“Garth and Will are working very well together, the team is stable; the team is strong,” Wilson said.

“2010 is certainly a year where we would like to go one better in the Driver’s Championship.”

And although team bosses often trot out the line that they are out there to win, Wilson said this is especially true for HRT as it celebrates its 20th anniversary.

“Being the 20th anniversary of HRT it will bring with it quite a special year,” he said.

“There are a number of things we will be doing to celebrate the achievements of 20 years.

“Twenty years in any motor racing category is a fantastic achievement.”

Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Alan Batey, agreed that 2010 would be a special year for HRT.

“Wouldn’t it be great to take out Bathurst and the Championship in the 20th year,” he mused.

“I know that Will and Garth have got that in their sights and it’s absolutely something that is achievable.”

Batey believes Tander and Davison form the strongest line-up HRT has ever had and said the team has become synonymous with motor racing excellence over its 20-year history.

“At Holden we are incredibly proud of HRT’s achievements and are confident they will build on their winning heritage in 2010,” he said.

“Our association with the team is incredibly important for the Holden brand and as we enter this new decade, HRT will be right there next to us.”

Tander was 13 when HRT formed and can remember the team’s Bathurst victory in its debut year.

“Win Percy and Allan Grice won that race against all odds because the Nissan GT-R was the car to have, or the Ford Sierra, and this Commodore came from nowhere,” he said.

Since then HRT has amassed records unmatched by any other team including 78 poles, 168 race wins, six Bathurst victories (1990, ’96, 2001, ’02, ’05, ’09) and six V8 Supercar Championships (1996, ’98, ’99, 2000, ’01, ’02).

Tassie date change
    Monday 25/01/2010 13:00

source: BigPond Sport

The two V8 events scheduled for November will now be held back-to-back, with news the V8 event at Tasmania’s Symmons Plains Raceway has been rescheduled.

Fans who have already made travel arrangements for the Falken Tasmania Challenge should note that the event will now take place on the weekend of November 12-14.

“The V8 Supercar Board confirmed at its last meeting that they could accommodate the rescheduling of the Tasmanian race date to avoid a potential conflict that had been brought to their attention,” a statement from V8 Supercars read.

“After consultation with all relevant parties this change has now been confirmed.”

The Falken Tasmania Challenge was originally set to take place from November 5-7 but it is understood the earlier date clashed with the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, which is also telecast by Channel Seven.

V8 Supercars Australia confirmed that all other dates on the 2010 calendar – including the 360 Sandown Challenge, which takes place the weekend after (November 19-21) – remain the same, meaning the two November V8 Supercar events will be held back-to-back.

Drivers get Abu Dhabi taster
    Monday 25/01/2010 13:45

Four V8 Supercar drivers have returned from a whirlwind tour of Abu Dhabi and the Yas Marina Circuit where the 2010 Championship starts next month.

Jamie Whincup, Will Davison, Mark Winterbottom and Paul Dumbrell were blown away by the facility, where they got to ride in a Minardi Formula One two-seater.

Besides the track day at Yas Marina Circuit, the drivers also took part in water sports at the marina and cultural visits and met Australian delegates and expatriates to promote the inaugural Yas V8 400, which takes place from February 19-20.

Whincup, the 2009 V8 Supercar Champion, described Yas Marina Circuit as an extremely technical track.

“If people ask me what is the most technical part of the track I’ll be telling them from turn one right the way around to the last turn,” the TeamVodafone driver said.

“It’s turn after turn, good straights, good corners… it’s got a bit of everything.”

Winterbottom described Abu Dhabi and the Yas Marina Circuit as an “amazing place”.

“And I hope we get the message to the people back home and all over the world to come here because (of) the experience we have had, the way people have treated us and the amazing time we have had,” the Ford Performance Racing driver said.

Dumbrell said he had a fair idea what the track was like after watching the Formula One race.

“But coming here to see the facilities and the infrastructure it just blows you away,” the Bottle-O Racing driver said.

“And then you get down to the track. It’s such a challenging track. You’ve got the corkscrew and undulation, which is like our cherished Bathurst track, then there’s a bit of Indy and a bit of Adelaide.

“It’s going to be pretty interesting racing topped off by this famous pit lane.”

Davison said Formula One has been a passion of his since his open-wheeler days and he enjoyed the experience in the F1 two-seater.

“Now I’m very focused on my career in V8 Supercars, but I still wake up every morning picturing driving the Formula One car that I drove in 2004,” the Toll Holden Racing Team driver said.

“I never thought I’d get the chance to do it again.

“I got just as much enjoyment out of seeing these boys jump in and get half a taste of what it is like. I was prepared for it and it was very enjoyable but it’s still a massive thrill.”

Yas Marina Circuit Chief Executive Officer, Richard Cregan, said it was great to extend some good UAE hospitality to the V8 Supercar drivers.

“We were able to get them something new and that was a ride in our F1 two seater,” he said.

“It’s pretty interesting seeing guys who race door-to-door every day then getting in an F1 car and being nervous about it.

“Then getting out having had a fantastic time, all smiles and something they will never forget. It’s nice to give them something that they will not get anywhere else; that’s Yas Marina Circuit.”

Cregan said the next best thing after Formula One was V8 Supercars.

“It’s up there, it has the following, is a great crowd puller and a very open sport for the people,” he said.

“We have a big ex-pat community here and it’s one way of getting to our goal of building a motorsport culture in the UAE.

“This event next month is something special that we are able to blend two different cultures and nationalities – Aussies with Emiratis – and we are very proud of that.

“I encourage all Aussies to be here for the race weekend, you have to be here. The ones who can’t make it we will get some good TV for them. We are very proud of this event and hope to make them proud.”

Holdsworth at GRM until 2011
    Monday 25/01/2010 14:30

V8 Supercar driver Lee Holdsworth has confirmed his commitment with Garry Rogers Motorsport until 2011.

While Holdsworth had previously agreed to race with the team until the end of 2011, it is understood he has now officially signed a contract with the team, which receives backing from air conditioning company Fujitsu for the first time in 2010.

Holdsworth, who joined GRM as a rookie in 2006, said there was a great team of people in place at GRM.

“And Richard Hollway (ex-HRT), one of the most experienced race engineers in the industry, joining our team is an added bonus,” Holdsworth said.

“Having someone with Richard’s capabilities and race experience is a worthy addition to our current team of talented workers.

“I have enjoyed every moment with the team and it has been great to have the full support of Garry and the team at my time here.”

Garry Rogers said he was very proud of Holdsworth’s results to date, which includes the round win at Oran Park in 2007 and pole position at the inaugural Townsville event last year.

“V8 Supercars is one of the most competitive businesses to be involved in, and the amount of poaching of good drivers and staff is never ending,” Rogers said.

“I don’t deal well with politics, and stay well away from all of the back room banter that creates unnecessary disruptions to the running of your business.

“My job is to present the most competitive cars and workforce in the industry and to strive to get the best results for our fan base and financial supporters, and with the calibre of people such as Lee, this makes my job a lot easier.”

No excuses this year: Todd Kelly
    Wednesday 27/01/2010 08:00

JDR's 2010 livery
    Jack Daniel’s Racing driver Todd Kelly says there are no excuses for bad form in 2010 following the team’s fantastic debut year in 2009.

Kelly and his brother Rick who pilot the two Jack Daniel’s Racing Commodores at Kelly Racing finished last year with a string of podium positions.

“Last year was a pretty big year and somewhat of a learning year for us to get the cars right and Rick and I and the boys really don’t have any excuses this year to go out and aim for nothing but front row qualifying runs and podiums and race wins,” Todd said.

“There’s probably even more pressure this year than there was last year.

“We’ve certainly got all the ingredients there to do the job so we just can’t wait to get out there and see where we’re at.”

Rick said before Jack Daniel’s Racing’s strong end to 2009, the team would have been considering aiming to finish third in the 2010 Championship.

“But I think with the strong team we’ve got behind us, the sponsors we’ve got behind us and equipment and the results at the end of last year it would be silly to do that,” he said.

“I think we should definitely be aiming for a Championship win.

“We’ve got the guys behind us and Todd and myself have been up the front before and if we achieve that it would be fantastic, but I think it is certainly in our sights over the next couple of years.”

Rick is the first to admit the competition in 2010 will be fierce, but he and Todd have worked on improving their fitness and focus over the break.

“In 2009, the priority for Todd and myself was to build the team as quick as we could and get cars to the race track and show we are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future,” he said.

“This year our priority is actually driving the cars and getting back to that.

“Obviously the category’s very competitive and the drivers that are out there are very professional so we’ve been focused on our training and anything else we can do to better ourselves as drivers has been our priority.

“And that’s a big difference for Todd and myself from last year to this year and hopefully one of the key ingredients that we’re going to need to move forward and win some races.”

Todd said the team has worked over the break to improve the cars’ braking and suspension on top of ongoing engine development.

“We’ve got good continuity and a lot of stability with our partners and our group so it’s fantastic,” he said.

“It’s going to be a good year. Rick and I are pumped about it and all the engineers have done a fantastic job and we haven’t lost any of the team members over the break.”

V8 Supercars: In brief
    Thursday 28/01/2010 13:00

Ford drivers become men of steel

A number of Ford V8 Supercar drivers will this week prove they are made of steel.

Mark Winterbottom, Steve Richards, Paul Dumbrell and James Moffat are all set for the inaugural FPR Men of Steel Fitness Challenge which takes place over two days this week on the Gold Coast.

Joining the drivers for the Orrcon Steel event is three-time Coolangatta Gold winner, Caine Eckstein, triathletes Brad Dalrymple and Tyron Easterbrook and journalist Damien Stannard, who has competed in the Hawaiian Ironman event.

The eight participants will pair up in teams of two to compete against each other as they battle for the honour of becoming the inaugural winners of the Men of Steel Fitness Challenge which features a rock climbing challenge, one-kilometre swim and an 11km kayak stage among other events.

The challenge marks the completion of the 2010 pre-season training camp which has seen them step into the ring with five-time world kickboxing champion John Wayne-Parr and undertake a simulation with the Special Forces.

This year’s new livery for the Orrcon Steel FPR Falcon will be unveiled for the first time on the Orrcon Steel Racing website on Monday, February 8.

Saturday races extended to 120km

V8 Supercar fans will get even more action this year with the news that the Saturday races held at sprint events have been extended from 100km to 120km.

The race lengths have been extended because teams were potentially able to make the 100km distance without a pitstop for the CSR E85 ethanol fuel.

There was also concern the well funded teams could invest significant amounts of money into increasing fuel efficiency to ensure they could definitely make the 100km distance without a pitstop.

The bonus for fans means they get an extra 20-kays worth of racing if they attend on a Saturday at a sprint event.

D’Alberto drives home safety message

Centaur Racing driver Tony D’Alberto has become an ambassador for Norfolk Island’s driver awareness and safety program.

D’Alberto leaves tomorrow, Friday, January 29 for the island where he will spend three days taking in the sights and customs, speaking with residents about road and driver safety, meeting the media and sign autographs.

“V8 Supercars is a fantastic sport that continues to grow and reach new regions, such as Norfolk Island, and as a driver I believe it’s important to take on roles like this and to help promote the sport far and wide, along with important messages like road and driver safety,” he said.

Norfolk Island Police Force Detective Sergeant, Vince Pannell, said the Norfolk Island community had a right to feel safe driving on the road.

“The Norfolk Island Driver Awareness and Safety Program has been designed to engage and interact with young and new drivers to ensure they use the roads safely and sensibly,” he said.

“We are delighted that Tony has agreed to champion this very important program. Tony is a professional driver whose objective is to drive fast and to win, but not at any cost.

“At every moment of a race, Tony's safety and that of other drivers is paramount and this is clearly evident. Driving safely has to be the objective of every driver.”

Shannon Noll performs at Clipsal

Shannon Noll will perform at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide Saturday night concert.

Noll and fellow former Australian Idol contestant Jessica Mauboy will headline the Jim Beam TrackSounds On-Circuit concert and will be joined by other Idol stars including the 2009 winner, Stan Walker, and Tom Williams.

“The opportunity to have Shannon at the 2010 Clipsal 500 Adelaide came about as a result of Wes Carr who was to perform, (but) getting word that he had to go to the USA for a recording session so bad news became extremely good news,” Clipsal 500 Adelaide Chief Executive, Jason Allen, said.

“Having Shannon at the event is a huge bonus for all Clipsal 500 Adelaide ticket holders on Saturday, March 13 and of course for all the people planning to come to the Stratco SAFM Skyshow that night.

“While Stratco SAFM Skyshow is a free event (subject to venue safety and capacity) we suggest people buy a Clipsal 500 Adelaide ticket and enjoy all the day’s activities including the V8 Supercar race, the feature race program, Murray Walker’s Extreme machines, and to get a good spot for the concert.”

For tickets phone Ticketek on 132 849 or book online at www.ticketek.com.au

Roary debuts tomorrow

Craig Lowndes’ animated race car character, Conrod, makes his debut on the ABC1 television station tomorrow (Friday) morning.

The TeamVodafone driver lent his voice for the role of Conrod, who will first appear on the popular pre-school program Roary The Racing Car at 8am on ABC1.

Conrod, named after part of the famous Mount Panorama circuit, is a V8 Supercar World Champion and arrives at the ‘Silver Hatch’ track with a fair bit of fame behind him, leaving Roary a little star-struck.

“I have moved into super cool dad status now that I am involved in Roary the Racing Car, it is fantastic,” Lowndes said.

Catch Roary The Racing Car tomorrow on ABC1 at 8am, which will be repeated on ABC2 later in the day at 1.30pm.

Kellys to enter Fujitsu?
    Friday 29/01/2010 17:00

Kelly Racing looks set to become the first V8 Supercar Championship team to capitalise on the Fujitsu Series for its endurance campaign following driver rule changes for the two long distance races.

On the latest V8 Insiders internet podcast Rick Kelly, driver of the #15 Jack Daniel’s Racing Commodore, said that besides launching the third and fourth main game cars, there may be more on the horizon at Kelly Racing.

“I think we’re actually going to expand into other bits and pieces this season as well,” he said.

Kelly declined to elaborate further to BigPond Sport at this point in time, but it is understood an entry in the Fujitsu Series is a goal for Kelly Racing.

While other main game teams have fielded development series entries in the past, the new driver rules this year ban regular Championship drivers from pairing up with their teammates at the L&H 500 and Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, making the Fujitsu Series more critical to the main game than ever.

Johnson Racing, known as Jim Beam Racing (JBR) in the V8 Supercar Championship, was the only main game team to field a Fujitsu Series entry last year but circumstances have forced the team to reconsider its 2010 plans.

Jim Beam Racing Team Manager, Adrian Burgess, oversaw Grant Denyer’s Fujitsu Series entry last year but he said at this point in time Johnson Racing will not run a development series car in 2010.

“We thought we were going to do a deal with Grant but he has committed to Channel 7,” Burgess said.

“We’d like to if we are able to (continue in the Fujitsu Series); we’ve got the car and transporter ready to go.

“But for now we’re firmly focused on the main series because we are running out of time and we need to make sure we are doing the right thing for (cars) 17, 18 and 19.”

Burgess recognised that the new driver rule will make the Fujitsu Series more valuable to the endurance campaigns of main game teams.

“Obviously with the rule change it’s now more important for me than ever to give James, Steve and Jon a driver that’s got regular mileage in a V8 Supercar,” he said.

“Before I could have put my regular drivers together but now the onus is firmly on getting very experienced drivers or youngsters getting regular mileage.

“For the main game teams whoever you pick … you want to get drivers with regular seat time and the Fujitsu Series is the ideal place for that.”

Burgess believes the Championship teams will take a greater interest in the Fujitsu Series now that the driver rule change is in place.

“I think what you will see with a lot of the teams is if they don’t field a (Fujitsu Series) team from their own facilities they will develop a link between an existing Fujitsu Series team and offer technical and track support,” he said.

The team has already locked in Warren Luff and two other drivers to pair up with its Championship drivers James Courtney, Steve Johnson and Jonathon Webb.

“Warren’s a fantastic driver and has always been a fantastic driver for us technically,” Burgess said.

“He’s a good size for James or Steve so he’s a good fit for the team and we have a great relationship with him and vice versa.

“I’m really very happy with the three guys we have got; they are a good mixture of experience, maturity and a lot of youth and aggression.”

To listen to Kelly’s full interview on the V8 Insiders, visit http://www.v8x.com.au/menu_2300/A_10...s/article.html

First pics of TeamVodafone Commodore
    Tuesday 02/02/2010 12:30

Author: Press Release | Source: TeamVodafone

TeamVodafone's 2010 livery
    Six months after announcing TeamVodafone’s switch to Holden, V8 Supercar Champion Jamie Whincup and teammate Craig Lowndes today unveiled the team’s highly anticipated Commodore race cars.

The Triple Eight Race Engineering designed and built 2010 challengers will feature a sleek new livery concept that was designed to suit the Commodore’s stance and stature on track and also celebrate the renewal of the highly successful relationship with Vodafone as naming rights sponsor for at least another three seasons.

While the cars will retain their traditional fluorescent Vodafone rocket red, the now customary chrome will adorn even more of the car including the bonnet and boot lids. The side-on profile of the car has also evolved making for a distinctly different look and feel.

Though the livery represents a new direction, the move to Holden is somewhat of a return journey for Lowndes and Whincup, who both started their touring car careers with the Lion. Furthermore, the relationship with the Australian division of General Motors marks a highly significant return to its roots for Triple Eight Race Engineering.

A three-time champion with Holden, Lowndes said the return to the ‘red side’ had presented him with an exciting new challenge.

“I am really looking forward to the start of this season,” Lowndes said.

“Knowing I have always had my best results in a Holden definitely gives me some added confidence.”

The #1 plate holder for the second year running, Whincup said he was very excited about the new livery and the prospect of the season.

“Like Craig, I also started my career with Holden and although I haven’t won a race with the lion yet, I have set my goals high. To win a championship with both manufacturers will be the motivation we need to do the job,” Whincup explained.

TeamVodafone naming rights sponsor Vodafone is eager to see the world’s number one V8 Supercar team behind the wheel of a world-class machine. Marketing Director, John Casey commented, “The new TeamVodafone livery is the cutting edge of V8 Supercar design, fit for a multiple championship winning V8 Supercar team.

“Vodafone is delighted to continue its long standing relationship with TeamVodafone. We look forward to seeing Australia’s number one V8 Supercar team battle it out for a third consecutive V8 Supercar Drivers Championship title behind the wheel of Holdens.”

Holden Motorsport Manager Simon McNamara said the car manufacturer was delighted to finally welcome back Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup into the Holden family. “We are very excited about what is now the beginning of a new chapter in Holden’s long and proud motorsport history.

“For Holden, the six months since the announcement of TeamVodafone joining our team line-up has been like a young child’s anticipation of Christmas morning and the opportunity to open their presents. The wait is now over and we are thrilled with what we see in the TeamVodafone Holden Commodores,” McNamara said.

Whilst continuing to enjoy successful partnerships with Vodafone, Nokia, Norton, Toshiba, Komatsu and Hogs Breath Cafe, TeamVodafone also welcomes new partners Holden and Caltex onboard for 2010.

“As well as welcoming back our naming rights sponsor Vodafone for another three years we are all delighted to be returning to the General Motors fold with Holden,” said Roland Dane, Team Principal.

“Furthermore I’m really pleased to be renewing our partnership with Caltex after a two year absence. We also couldn’t compete at the level we do without the great support and commitment that we continue to enjoy from our major partners Nokia, Norton, Toshiba, Komatsu and Hogs Breath Cafe.”

In seven days time TeamVodafone’s brand new Holden Commodore VE race cars will take to the track for their first official test day at Queensland Raceway.

Todd gets first Kelly Racing chassis
    Monday 01/02/2010 10:00

Todd and Rick Kelly
    Todd Kelly will start the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship in the first ever Commodore Kelly Racing has entirely built at its Braeside workshop.

The #7 Jack Daniel’s Racing Commodore is labelled chassis number KR001 and all subsequent cars will have the same naming pattern.

Meanwhile, the team has announced it will expand the Braeside facility in Melbourne incorporating more than 4000 square metres of undercover workspace.

The expansion will allow the business to operate with all staff and departments housed under one roof and should be finished next year.

A new manufacturing section will house all new facilities for the engine, composite, fabrication, paint and panel departments which are currently located at the Perkins Engineering facility five kilometres away in Moorabbin.

“We did a pretty good job on a state-of-the-art racing facility in what we’ve got at Braeside and an extension of that is building a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility to support the racing,” Todd said.

“So the new place is going to have a lot of thought put into it. The majority of the planning has been done.

“We want to do a panel preparation and spray booth area for the paint shop, a carbon fibre department, set up a really good engine shop with all the dynos in the new facility and basically bring everything it takes to run a race team under the one roof.”

Kelly said having all the staff in one place is important.

“It’s going to be a lot of work but we can’t wait to finally put the last finishing touches on it and get all the team under one roof,” he said.

“It’s a big part of showing our guys how serious we are and letting everyone else see our plans and how ambitious we are in moving forward.”

Todd’s brother and fellow Jack Daniel’s Racing driver, Rick Kelly, said that the staff will have significant input into the final layout of the facility.

“While we are building our new section of the workshop we are continually communicating with the manager of each department as to how they want us to build each area,” he said.

“The composite shop guys have helped a lot and had a lot of input into how we will build their area, and that’s the same with the paint shop and every other part of the team.

“So the guys that work here have actually all designed their own department and they get to see that area get built, then begin working in it.

“That’s an enormous thing and all of our guys are extremely excited to get input into the foundations of Kelly Racing as we build our team up.”

Kelly Racing will unveil Jason Bargwanna’s #11 entry this Wednesday before hitting the track with all four of its Commodores for the first official test day of the season at Winton Motor Raceway next Monday, February 8.

SBR restructure aids Davison
    Monday 01/02/2010 12:00

The 2010 Irwin Falcon
    Stone Brothers Racing (SBR) has restructured its operations in a bid to return to the front of the V8 Supercar field for 2010.
    David Stuart, who was SBR’s team manager last year, also takes up race engineering duties on Alex Davison’s #4 Irwin Racing Falcon this year.

Unlike last year when Jason Bright’s SBR-prepped Falcon was separated from the other two SBR cars in pitlane, this year the three SBR entries for Davison, Shane Van Gisbergen (#9) and Tim Slade (#47) will be stationed together.

Stuart said Davison’s driving talents combined with improved machinery should turn into results for SBR in 2010.

“We will be far more effective in the workshop and at the track with all three groups working in a cohesive unit,” he said.

“Last year this was not the case with one of the Stone Brothers Racing cars at the other end of the pits.

“I have to say that the new way of doing things has worked really well and the feeling of excitement this year is right up there. We are keen for that to continue the entire season.”

The 2010 livery for the #4 Falcon has just been unveiled and Davison, who finished second in the 200km race at Hidden Valley last year, is aiming to finish at the pointy end consistently this year.

“Last year the Irwin Racing team showed that we can be right on the pace, but we have to do that more consistently in 2010,” he said.

“We took a good look at ourselves at the end of 2009 and have really focussed on improving things across the board.

“This year the Irwin Racing team has the experience of a full season with myself and the FG Falcon, so we are keen to show that with performances on the track.”

Davison, who also wants to focus on qualifying well this year, said he was looking forward to working with Stuart.

“He did some great things with Jason Bright in the second half of last year and I worked with him during the long distance races a few years back at Johnson Racing,” Davison said.

“We are both very driven people and have become good friends, so together we are looking at going to the next level.

“My goals this year include qualifying consistently in the top 10.

“The Irwin Racing team’s best overall results last year came from weekends when we started towards the front.

“I believe our race pace will also improve and that will bring better results and a championship position inside the top 10.”

Ross Stone said the Irwin Racing team is ready for the first test next week at Queensland Raceway.

“And we want to hit the track running from the opening practice session in Abu Dhabi,” he said.

“I know that Alex has a lot of experience in different categories, but last year really was his rookie year in the V8s.

“We are sure he will use that experience to really put some solid results on the board in 2010.”

Stone said Stuart will continue to act as the team manager while also taking on the race engineering duties on the Irwin Racing Ford.

“We have changed our set-up in the workshop with the Irwin Racing Falcon, as well as our other two Stone Brothers Racing entries all working closer together under David’s leadership,” he said.

“At race meetings the three cars will all be together, with David overseeing things, and ensuring Alex is looked after on the track.

“Our goal for Alex in the championship is top-12, which might sound conservative. I know that our machinery is good and his ability behind the wheel is right up there, but this is a very tough series.”

The 2010 colour scheme of Davison’s Falcon aligns with the updated Irwin Tools logo, which was also announced today (Monday).

Irwin Tools Asia Pacific Managing Director, Nick Prichard, said even though the new logo is only a minor adjustment to the other version, it modernises the brand’s look.

“All regions of the world will transition to this new look in 2010 and this will really help us with consistency while giving the Irwin Tools logo a fresh new look,” he said.

“Thanks to our V8 Supercar program with Alex Davison and Stone Brothers Racing we can really promote the new logo to the public.

“Like Alex and the SBR team, here at Irwin we share a passion for success and quality in everything we do.”

Skaife, Lowndes reunite for enduros
    Tuesday 02/02/2010 15:00

Skaife and Lowndes: reunited
    A hint of nostalgia is in the air with the news that former teammates Craig Lowndes and Mark Skaife will reunite for this year’s enduros.

Besides unveiling the 2010 liveries in Sydney today (Tuesday), it was also announced that Skaife and Steve Owen form the endurance driver line-up for TeamVodafone.

With the new V8 supercar rule banning fulltime teammates from pairing up in the enduros, Owen will drive with the back-to-back champ while Skaife will partner Lowndes.

It will be the first time since 2000 that the former Holden Racing Team (HRT) drivers paired up – Lowndes left the next year to drive for the Ford aligned Gibson/00 Motorsport team.

Skaife retired from both HRT and fulltime racing at the end of 2008, but then teamed up with Greg Murphy for the now-defunct Sprint Gas Racing, finishing fourth at the 2009 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

But now that TeamVodafone has switched from Ford to Holden and Lowndes will drive a Commodore in 2010, the reformation of the Lowndes/Skaife combo was a no-brainer.

Lowndes noted that they have gone from being teammates to rivals and now back to being teammates.

“I’ve gone full circle going back to Holden and pairing up with Mark and I could say the same for my teammate,” he said.

“Knowing Mark and I are going to pair up together is great and we’ve got all the chance in the world of winning.”

Lowndes, who won the Queensland 500 with Skaife in 2000, believes they will be a strong contender for wins at the L&H 500 at Phillip Island and the Bathurst 1000.

“Knowing that the main drivers can’t pair up in future, you really have to rely on having very good co-drivers,” he said.

“The team has done a great job in securing Mark for myself and Steve Owen for Jamie and it’s important that you try to secure that as early as possible now more than ever.”

Lowndes is not concerned that Skaife is no longer a fulltime driver and instead said the key to success was ensuring that both drivers were confident and happy behind the wheel.

“One of those things about Bathurst is that it’s a very unique race and race track and experience counts for a hell of a lot more than time in the seat,” he said.

“It is exciting both coming back to Holden and driving with Mark.

“I’m sure it gives fans another team to cheer for and hopefully follow.”

Sprint tyres for Sunday
    Tuesday 02/02/2010 09:30

The V8 Supercars Australia Board has tweaked the rules regarding the soft tyre and teams can now only use them on Sundays at four events this year.

While Winton Raceway and Barbagallo Raceway will be sprint tyre-only events as previously reported, only one set of the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx Sprint tyre will be allocated to each car at the Queensland Raceway, Hidden Valley, Symmons Plains and Sandown Raceway events in 2010.

For these four events, the one set of soft tyres must be used during the 200km Sunday race.

In a statement the Board said it came to the decision “after carefully considering all aspects of the tyre and its usage”.

“In addition to this the sprint tyres allocated for testing will be distributed to the teams at Queensland Raceway for use in Friday Practice only. This is the same to how they were used at Winton in 2009,” the statement continued.

Jack Daniel’s Racing driver, Todd Kelly, said the two sprint tyre-only events were a “bloody good idea”.

“You don’t have an artificial race winner in the history books; whoever wins the race deserves it,” he said.

“When tyres are good you’ll be able to dive in and attack a lot harder.

“Being able to have the confidence to fire in, you don’t normally have that in a lot of situations on the harder tyre so on the soft tyre you’ll have that.

“But that’ll last for about five minutes and then the whole thing’s going to go bad and they drop right off really quick so then the car’s going to get quite messy so overall I think the racing will be potentially a fair bit better.

“I’m much more in favour of that than mixing it up.”

In other tyre related news, teams cannot add the new tyres allocated to teams at the Formula One Australian Grand Prix in March to their tyre banks after the event.

And due to the number of events in the first half of the season that will see teams unable to add to their tyre bank, the Board has approved the allocation of a total of 24 control tyres for testing and practice for 2010.

Teams will only be able to collect eight tyres per car for the pre-season test day, with the remaining 16 tyres becoming available after the return from the Middle East.

In line with the 2010 tyre rules, these tyres will be able to be eligible to be nominated as pre-marked tyres at a meeting.

Trading Post joins BJR
    Wednesday 03/02/2010 08:00

Trading Post Racing
    Jason Bright, the newest addition to the Brad Jones Racing (BJR) driver line-up, will race an orange Trading Post liveried Commodore for the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship.

The Trading Post is one of Australia’s leading places to buy and sell cars and not only does its involvement with BJR cement the company’s commitment to the automotive industry, but further strengthens Telstra’s support of the V8 Supercar series.
    Bright’s #14 Commodore will be known as the Trading Post Racing Team and features Fuchs sponsorship on the windscreen banner.

“It’s fantastic news and a huge coup to secure Trading Post as naming rights sponsor for the #14 VE Commodore,” Bright said.

“The Brad Jones Racing team has put a strong package together and with Trading Post’s support, I believe we now have all the ingredients in place to make a real run for this year’s V8 Supercar Championship.”

Bright drove a Falcon for his own Britek Motorsport team last year and replaces BJR driver Cam McConville who has retired from fulltime racing.

The Trading Post itself has undergone changes in recent months. The last edition of its newspaper, once an institutionalised part of Australian households, was published in October and the company has refocused towards the internet.

Its website www.tradingpost.com has more than two million unique online and mobile users a month and remains the Australian classifieds expert in a range of categories including cars, motorbikes, boats, caravans, pets, backyard, home and DIY, farm and much more.

Michael Padden, head of the Trading Post, said V8 Supercars was an ideal sport to become involved in.

“With automotive being such a significant part of our business, it made sense to get behind a V8 Supercar team and be involved in one of Australia’s most popular national sporting competitions,” he said.

“The launch of Trading Post Racing is an exciting opportunity for us and we can’t wait to work with one of V8 Supercar’s most experienced teams.”

The 2010 season promises to be a huge year for Brad Jones Racing and the Trading Post Racing Team.

The team has had a strong offseason which besides the signing of Bright, saw a new engine supply deal with Noonan Race Engineering and the completion of the team’s first in-house built VE Commodore.

Bright’s first chance to drive the Trading Post Racing Commodore will be at the opening test day for the 2010 season at the Winton Raceway on February 8.

“We look forward to launching our sponsorship and seeing the Trading Post Racing car in full flight at the first race in Abu Dhabi on February 18, and to a very successful partnership with the team in 2010,” Padden said.

Three cars, Reindler confirmed for BJR
    Wednesday 03/02/2010 11:00

2008 V8 Supercar Rookie of the Year, Karl Reindler, is confirmed as the third driver at Brad Jones Racing this year.

Jason Bright, whose #14 Trading Post Racing Commodore was revealed to fans this morning, confirmed Reindler will use the Britek licence for the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship.

“Brad Jones Racing will oversee it and it will be run as a Britek car no different to what it was for me at Stone Brothers (last year) but running out of the same garage,” the Trading Post Racing driver said.

“There will be a sponsor announced very soon and I’m pretty excited about it.

“When I first started Britek was the rules didn’t allow you to do this sort of thing, run a three car team or run one entry with another team so this is sort of like going back to 2005 again.”
    Reindler’s Commodore is expected to be revealed in full race livery at the test day for Victorian teams at Winton Motor Raceway next Monday, February 8.

As opposed to last year where Bright ran his own Britek operation, the move allows the former Holden Racing Team, Ford Performance Racing and Stone Brothers Racing driver to concentrate on winning races.

“That’s the way it should have been in the past too,” Bright noted. “It was meant to be that way all along where I could concentrate on driving but it didn’t happen that way.”

Besides removing himself from the day-to-day operations of his licence, Bright has plenty of other reasons to head into the 2010 Championship with confidence.

Phil Keed left Ford Performance Racing to work as Bright’s engineer at Brad Jones Racing and the team has struck a deal with Noonan Race Engineering to supply the engines.

“I can’t think of a time when I’ve ever gone into a year with all the ingredients in as much my favour as I have this year,” he said.

“Brad Jones Racing has very good guys who have worked on their pitstops; looking back over the last two seasons the pitstops have just gotten better and better.

“The cars are very sound, we can see areas we can make changes for the better, I have a lot of confidence with the engines and we’re a team that is on the up.”

Bright’s form continually improved over 2009, particularly after he switched from a BF to the newer FG Falcon. But he said that with Keed as his engineer it will not all have been in vain moving back into a Commodore for 2010.

“It’s one of things having someone you’ve worked with before, it allows you to shortcut that learning process running with a new engineer, and that’s very important when changing teams,” he said.

“You can lose a good three to six months worth of learning how to work with that engineer so it’s great to again work with Phil this year.

“We have both been around a number of different teams so I think we both have different ideas we can bring to the team.”

Ipswich 300 locked in
    Tuesday 03/02/2009 12:30

Press Release | Source: V8 Supercars Australia

V8 Supercars Australia has announced it will return to Queensland Raceway in 2010. The event will be known as the Ipswich 300.

A one-year arrangement was agreed with Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and the State Government to retain the event on the calendar from April 30-May 2. V8 Supercars Australia will manage the event.

“We were able to sort through the issues from an interim perspective but there is a lot of hard work ahead to bring the facility to modern day standards,” V8 Supercars Australia acting CEO Shane Howard said.

“Mayor Pisasale is to be congratulated for his persistence in bring this issue back to the table on behalf of the fans and his council who clearly understand the great importance of V8 Supercars to the region.

"V8 Supercars commends the foresight of Ipswich City Council's planning scheme on protecting the future of motorsport in the region. The Council has developed the area as a dedicated motorsport precinct that includes buffers around the circuit that guarantees its long-term future.

“This decision gives us 12 months to work through the many issues with Mayor Pisasale and the Queensland Government who have been highly supportive and very positive about the road ahead.

“Some serious work needs to be done to make it better for spectators and corporate patrons, as well as the teams who are working in very poor standard of conditions.

”If upgrades to the venue are undertaken and the critical elements addressed for spectators and our teams, V8 Supercars Australia will not hesitate to enter into a multi-year agreement.”

Mayor Pisasale said he was confident the necessary work would be done and the facility upgraded to a current day standard.

“This is the first small but significant step in securing V8 Supercars at Queensland Raceway for many, many years to come,” Pisasale said.

“I’m very pleased we’ve reached a resolution for the short-term and extremely confident that in the coming months we can really start to lock down some major upgrades to the circuit.”

While V8 Supercars Australia will promote the event this year, the short time frame means that fans are unlikely to see any major differences to the circuit in 2010.

Bargs to Rock V8s in 2010
    Wednesday 03/02/2010 16:00

Rock Racing
    An Australian made and owned energy drink company has become Jason Bargwanna’s ‘Rock’ at Kelly Racing.

At its Braeside headquarters today (Wednesday), Kelly Racing announced that as part of a multi-year deal Rock Energy Drinks is the naming-rights sponsor for Jason Bargwanna’s Commodore.

In what is a major coup for the V8 Supercars series, it is the second new sponsor that will enter the category in 2010, following the news that the Trading Post will sponsor Jason Bright’s #14 Brad Jones Racing Commodore.

Bargs raced for Sprint Gas Racing last year but after the team disbanded he joined Kelly Racing.

His Commodore, which Todd Kelly raced in 2009 but was completely rebuilt in the off-season, will be known as Rock Racing.

Bargwanna will race under the number 11, made famous by six-time Bathurst winner and V8 Supercar legend Larry Perkins.

“Rock Energy Drinks is a new sponsor to V8 Supercars and the car looks fantastic,” Bargwanna said.

“The company was the naming-rights sponsor on our Mini entry last year and has stepped up as naming-rights sponsor on my V8 Supercar.

“Rock Energy Drinks is an Australian owned and made product taking on the big importers of the American energy drink companies and besides exporting to nine countries it obviously wants to get more exposure in Australia, its home market.”

Bargwanna, who started the Sunday race at the Nikon SuperGP on the Gold Coast from pole position, said the short-term focus was to win races.

“We had the pole position last year and proved we were very competitive in the last six months of the year and proved we could be at the front,” he said.

“Taking the step up to Kelly Racing, our focus is to win races and if we can do that consistently we will have a red-hot go at the Championship.

“Rick and Todd made their intentions clear for this year; I’m in the same equipment so there is no reason why we can’t have the same goal.”

Having raced for under-funded teams in recent years, Bargwanna now has his sights set on a career-best performance in 2010 as part of a formidable driver line-up alongside the Kelly brothers, who are also fellow Bathurst champions.

“The last three teams I've been with have closed their doors and that's been the reason I've departed the team, so this is completely different for me,” he said.

“This team is focused on winning car races. Everything you do from the moment you open the front door is all about winning car races.

“That is what every driver dreams of, to be part of a championship-contending team.

“There is no compromise in this operation. The last few seasons have been character building years and now it’s my time to put it all together and make the most of this genuinely great opportunity.”

In terms of V8 Supercar event starts, Kelly Racing now boasts the most experienced driver line-up in the field with 388 combined starts between Bargwanna and the Kelly brothers.

Tim Xenos, the Managing Director of Rock Energy Drinks parent company Beverage Holdings, said the new deal is a big part of plans to continue the Rock’s growth both in the Australian market and globally.

“We are very excited to have the Rock brand in V8 Supercars in a big way with Jason Bargwanna and the Rock Racing Commodore,” he said.

“Our relationship with Kelly Racing is about raising the profile of Rock Energy Drink in the Australian market as we continue to grow both here and globally.

“Rock is Australian made and owned, so it’s very exciting for us to be backing an Australian driver and team.

“We currently have a presence in Kmart and Costco stores and the exposure and opportunities that we expect to derive from this new deal is a big part of growing that further.”

Bargs is proud to be representing the emerging brand both on and off the race track.

“It's very exciting to have a brand new Australian sponsor on the car,” he said.

“We all have high hopes for Rock Racing in terms of what we want to achieve and this is the exciting beginning of this new relationship.”

Gold Coast SuperCarnivale Re-invigorated
    Thursday 04/02/2010 09:30

Author: Press Release | Source: V8 Supercars Australia

In a massive coup for the Gold Coast, the biggest annual event in Queensland will be entirely re-branded and transformed into a massive ‘Gold Coast SuperCarnivale’ weekend.

The Queensland Government and V8 Supercars Australia jointly announced that the Gold Coast fixture will be wholly re-invigorated in conjunction with the 20th anniversary of the event this October.

The emphasis will be on extremely affordable ticketing and be all-inclusive of entertainment and live concerts. The world class V8 Supercars Australia events team headed up by Gold Coaster, Shane Howard, will take charge of the Gold Coast SuperCarnivale.

An additional focus will be on attracting interstate and international visitors back to the event.

“I would argue that no single event in Australian history has undergone the dramatic changes that are planned for this year’s SuperCarnivale on the Gold Coast,” V8 Supercars Australia Chairman Tony Cochrane said.

“Aside from a massive reduction to the size of the site it is also our absolute goal to transform it into a family style event.”

For the first time in the history of V8 Supercars, the event will become the third endurance race on the calendar alongside the prestigious L&H 500 at Phillip Island and Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000. It will be raced over 600kms, 300kms each day, with each V8 Supercar team including an international co-driver

“In total we will have 17 international drivers, one for each V8 Supercar team, from around 14 different countries, driving for our teams, alongside our drivers across a 600km endurance weekend,” Mr Cochrane said.

Mr Cochrane confirmed that former Gold Coast winner Scott Pruett (USA), placegetter Alex Tagliani (Canada), reigning Australian Le Mans 24 Hour winner David Brabham, former Formula 1 and Champ Car stars Mark Blundell (England) and Christian Fittipaldi (Brazil) have already signed as co-drivers.

The complete race format and all 17 co-drivers will be announced at the event launch in April.

“There is no question that this event will have everything for everybody, including a massive international component in our visiting drivers. Their presence alone will spark massive interest around the world and compliments new world-wide television deals we are announcing next Wednesday at our season launch.”

The event, to be promoted by V8 Supercar Events, will be part of the inaugural V8 Grand Slam which could offer up to $2.5 million in prize money for a driver that wins the Gold Coast event, Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 and the Sydney Telstra 500 in Sydney in the same year.

Key changes to the precinct include:

- The “footprint” of the circuit reduced from the current 4.49km to 2.96km, freeing up approximately 40% of the site for residents, business and other users

- The total build/dismantle time reduced by five weeks (from 14 weeks to 9)

- The event will run over three days – Friday to Sunday

- A shortened circuit to allow for the separation to the Surfers Paradise precinct

- Utilising the Broadwater Park for nightly entertainment featuring Australian and International artists – all included in the ticket price

Community considerations:

- Minimise disruption to residents

- The focus will be on re-engaging the community to be more inclusive going forward

- The event will have a full time, Gold Coast based General Manager

- A full time Community Liaison person to work in with the community and the Gold Coast City Council

- A Community Committee to oversee the event from all aspects of the local residents, businesses, traffic etc.

- Free up access to Budds Beach

The motorsport component to include:

- For the first time in history V8 Supercars will add a third endurance race to the calendar in addition to iconic races the L&H 500 at Phillip Island and the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000

- The event will form the third leg of the soon to be announced Grand Slam offering a record $2.5 million prize pool

- 17 international drivers from around 14 countries will drive for the 17 V8 Supercar teams

- The international drivers will contest their own race on the Friday in their team V8 Supercar

- The main race will be over 600kms in two races – race one on Saturday and race two on Sunday

- Each race will have driver, fuel and tyre pit stops

Click here to download the Gold Coast concept circuit design (PDF - 1.97MB)

The event will have its new name, new logo and be rebranded to reflect the Gold Coast and the family friendly style of event. It will also have a strong community engagement and consultation process.

WHAT THE INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS HAVE TO SAY…..

SCOTT PRUETT – USA

“The Gold Coast and the October event have been synonymous with the world’s great motorsport events for many years and it is fantastic that this concept has been put together for its 20th anniversary celebrations.

“This will provide a real rejuvenation of the event and take it back to the glory days of the late 90s and early 00s. I loved my years on the Gold Coast, especially my victory in 1997 – ironically that year I was actually on my honeymoon with my wife, Judy.

“My drive in a V8 Supercar at Bathurst later that year was a great experience and one I am looking forward to repeating. I don’t need any excuse to come to Australia, so when I received a call to be part of this program I jumped at the chance.

“I think the opportunity to drive a V8 Supercar on one of the world’s greatest street courses will be pretty attractive to plenty of the world’s great drivers.”

CHRISTIAN FITTIPALDI - BRAZIL

“When I heard about this concept and was contacted about being a part of it I was excited. V8 Supercars have built a fantastic reputation around the world and I am a fan of the Series.

“To have the chance of getting behind the wheel of a V8 Supercar on the streets of the Gold Coast will be fantastic. It is no secret that the Gold Coast was one of my favourite events anywhere in the world and I was fortunate to be a part of it through the most recent glory years of US open-wheel racing in the late 90s.

“I believe this concept, combined with the venue and enthusiasm of the promoter and fans, will make it one of the most desirable events in the world for any driver.

“I had one of my worst experiences at the track when I broken my leg at the first chicane in 1997, but even the way I was taken care of after that drama leaves fond memories of Surfers Paradise and Queensland with me.

“I cannot wait.”

MARK BLUNDELL – ENGLAND

“You have some pretty cool days in your life, but to get a phone call asking if I wanted to drive a V8 Supercar at Surfers Paradise has to be up there among the best.

“Surfers Paradise was always our favourite event on the Champ Car circuit and to have the chance to head back to one of the world’s great playgrounds to race a V8 Supercar on one of the world’s best street tracks is going to be fantastic.

“It will be a like a reunion of sorts for some of us, but you can be sure the competition is going to be as fierce as ever. This will be no exhibition event. We will be taking part in an event where driver’s championship hopes will be on the line and we will all be doing our best to keep the points ticking over for them.

“V8 Supercars has grown in stature tremendously in recent years and I think this concept will make the Surfers Paradise event one of the most anticipated in world motorsport this season.

“It will be like Christmas a couple of months early. Let’s hope there is a decent present at the end of it.”

ALEX TAGLIANI – CANADA

“The Gold Coast is one of the most special places in the world for me – it was where I met my Australian wife, Bronte. I have also had some good results over the years, including a third for Team Australia in 2006 in a Champ Car.

“That same year I drove at Bathurst with Marcus Marshall in the V8 Supercar Series. That gave me a taste of V8 Supercar racing which I have been keen to experience again as the V8 Supercars are one of the great categories of world racing.

“After that experience racing with Marcus Marshall, I have made no secret of the fact that I would like to spend a couple of seasons racing V8s in Australia once my open-wheel career is finished. This event will be a good thing for my CV – and I guess for a few other drivers who will be lining up from countries all over the world.”

DAVID BRABHAM – AUSTRALIA

“Unfortunately I have never had the chance to race on the Gold Coast before, but all that is about to change. The event is well known around the world and it has always been of extra interest to me because the Gold Coast is home to most of my family (including dad Sir Jack Brabham who won the 1959-60 and 66 F1 world titles and brother, Geoff, who is also a former Le Mans 24 Hour winner).

“It is one of the world’s toughest street circuits and attacking it in a V8 Supercar will be no easy task, especially for those who will be driving one for the first time. Fortunately I have done a few laps in a V8 over the years and I am looking forward to getting out there.

“I have a full season of ALMS racing for Highcroft Racing ahead of me in the US and other selected events, including the Le Mans 24 Hour, but then we head home for what should be a terrific week.”

Ticketing and on sale dates will be released shortly via the official V8 Supercar website

HRT heats up for 2010
    Thursday 04/02/2010 13:00

Tander at Winton
    The four Walkinshaw Racing drivers were the first in the V8 Supercar field to re-accustom themselves to the hot conditions of the first few V8 events for 2010.

Toll Holden Racing Team and Bundaberg Red Racing hit the track for their first test for the year on Monday and Tuesday at Winton Motor Raceway.

With ambient temperatures reaching more than 36 degrees on Monday the Commodore cockpits were sweltering for Garth Tander, Will Davison, Fabian Coulthard and Andrew Thompson.

But the upside was it re-acclimatised them all for the two opening events of the 2010 Championship, the Yas V8 400 at Abu Dhabi and the Desert 400 at Bahrain, in the Middle East which are then followed by the first event for 2010 on Aussie soil, the Adelaide Clipsal 500, where the weather is also traditionally hot.

“Conditions have been difficult; it has been extremely hot, but we have worked through our program and had a trouble free run; everything has gone well,” Tander said.

“We have only had a short off-season, but everyone on the team is well rested and it has been great to get back to the track and into the car.”

Davison said the test was about race car setups and car and crew familiarisation rather than ultimate lap times.

“It’s about trying new things, working through setups and getting ready for what’s going to be a big year,” he said.

Bundaberg Red Racing will be known as Extra Smooth Racing in the Middle East due to alcohol advertising restrictions and both Coulthard and Thompson are settling into their new Melbourne lifestyles after moving from the Gold Coast in the off-season.

The test days were an opportunity for Coulthard, who drove a Falcon last year, and Thompson, who did not compete full-time in 2009, to familiarise themselves with the Commodores.

Following the test, Coulthard said he felt more comfortable in the car with every lap.

“I think we are doing the right thing by starting the year off with two test days, especially for Andrew and I who are new to the team and it is valuable experience really,” he said.

“It is good to get familiar with everything; try a few changes and get a solid read on our progress.

“Rob Starr (Coulthard’s engineer) is a top lad and easy to get along with which will be an integral part to our success this season.”

Thompson said it was good to finally get in the car for 2010.

“We are only a month into the year, but it has felt like about three months so it is a relief to get into the car despite the heat,” he said.

Starr will engineer Coulthard’s #24 Commodore and Dilan Talabani has been named as the data engineer for the car.

Erik Pender will lead the engineering crew on Thompson’s car as well as act as team manager for Bundaberg Red Racing while Joe Sasso will team with Pender as the data engineer on car #10.

The Walkinshaw teams tested one week ahead of other Victorian teams because two of the four Melbourne-based cars will be flown from Brisbane to Abu Dhabi in two weeks time.

While the Walkinshaw drivers tested in searing temperatures, the Bureau of Meteorology has forecasted a maximum of about 30 degrees for Monday, February 8 when the remaining Victorian teams will test and about 28 degrees for Tuesday, February 9 in Queensland when the northern-based teams are scheduled to test.

Kelly Racing’s shopping spree
    Friday 05/02/2010 16:00

Extra Smooth Racing
    DFS, the world’s leading luxury retailer catering to travellers, replaces the famous ‘Old No. 7’ logo on the two Jack Daniel’s Racing Commodores in the Middle East.

While the whiskey maker’s logo was used in Bahrain when the V8s last visited in 2008, alcohol advertising restrictions in Abu Dhabi are tighter.

The duty free shopping group, which has more than 150 stores in 14 countries including Australia and Abu Dhabi, will feature on the bonnet and roof of the two Jack Daniel’s Racing Commodores, while the sides of the cars bear the slogan ‘Jack Lives Here’ instead of the company’s name.

At Kelly Racing’s Braeside headquarters on Wednesday afternoon team members, including #15 driver Rick Kelly, began applying the vinyl wrap to the side of Todd Kelly’s #7 car.

Besides Jack Daniel’s Racing other teams affected by the alcohol branding constraints include Bundaberg Red Racing and Jim Beam Racing.

Bundaberg Red Racing will be known as Extra Smooth Racing in the Middle East for the Yas V8 400 season opener in Abu Dhabi on February 18-20 and the Desert 400 in Bahrain on February 25-27.

The Extra Smooth Racing livery was seen for the first time on Andrew Thompson’s #10 Commodore when the team tested on Monday at Winton Motor Raceway.

Fabian Coulthard’s #24 still featured the Bundaberg Red Racing livery at the test, but it will be swapped over before the team heads overseas.

Jim Beam Racing will not announce its rebranding until the test day at Queensland Raceway this Tuesday but at previous Bahrain events it has used the slogan ‘The Team’.

The Bottle-O Racing owner Rod Nash was not able to be contacted to comment on what will replace the VB logo on the Falcon’s bonnet; however it has been reported that the Bottle-O logos have been permitted to remain on the car.

A source from one of the teams with alcohol sponsorship said the changeover costs somewhere in the order of $50,000 for a two-car team once race suits and team uniforms and changing the decals are taken into account.

Perth scrapped for 2010
    By Press Release

7:22 PM Mon 8 February, 2010

Source: V8 Supercars Australia

V8 Supercars Australia has confirmed its final 2010 calendar which includes the City of Ipswich 300 at Queensland Raceway while omitting the Perth event that had been provisionally scheduled for June 4-6.

As announced last week, Queensland Raceway remains on the calendar for 2010 pending a major upgrade of the circuit facilities prior to any commitment for 2011 and beyond.

The Gold Coast SuperCanivale has become a three day event (October 22-24) following the Queensland Government’s backing of a completely revamped format for the endurance weekend.

The Falken Tasmania Challenge has also been confirmed as now being a week later on November 12-14 at Symmons Plains in Launceston.

“It is great news that we have been able to secure the City of Ipswich 300 but disappointing we have been unable to find a workable solution to the similar issues we have at Barbagallo Raceway,” Acting V8 Supercars Australia CEO Shane Howard said.

“We are extremely disappointed for all of our fans in WA. As a group we have worked overtime in trying to get this third world facility re-vamped so that both the Paddock and the pit lane meet basic OH&S legislation.

“Despite a reduced sanction fee of around 25 per cent of the actual cost for us to race in Perth, committing to a long-term five-year deal and offering the services of Mark Skaife and our engineers to design the new circuit at our cost we still get a lip service response.

“The situation is best summed up by a recent seven page letter and subsequent letters that have received just a one paragraph response at best. Our WA fans will at least have the extensive free to view live coverage on the 7 Network.

“Hopefully this opens the door for other regions of Western Australia to approach us with a view to bringing one of the world’s greatest Touring Car Championships to a new destination in the future.”

The V8 Supercar Championship Series will commence next week in Abu Dhabi with the Yas V8 400 followed by a back-to-back weekend in Bahrain at the Gulf Air Desert 400.

The season will have a distinctive autumn and spring phase to it. A February start means there will be nine events up until mid-June, a nine week break and then six events to finish the season, again culminating again with the massive Sydney Telstra 500 in December.

Moffat gets FPR Enduro Drive

Frosty pre-season testing at Winton

12:00 PM Mon 8 February, 2010
    BigPond Sport

Ford Performance Racing (FPR) has signed on James Moffat and Luke Youlden for the 2010 endurance races.

Youlden and Moffat will join regular drivers Mark Winterbottom and Steve Richards, however the team has not determined the exact pairings.

New V8 Supercar rules ban regular drivers from pairing up at this year’s L&H 500 and Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

Youlden, who has raced in the enduros for FPR for the last few years, is the likely candidate to team up with Winterbottom.

And the upshot of this is that Richo, son of seven-time Bathurst winner Jim, and Moffat, son of four-time Bathurst winner Allan, will be paired together.

Dean Canto, who drove for FPR in the long-distance races last year, has also been sighted in the FPR garage at Winton today (Monday) for testing, indicating he will drive with Paul Dumbrell in The Bottle-O Racing Falcon this year.

Team Principal, Tim Edwards, praised both Moffat, who was named the Mike Kable Young Gun for 2009, and Youlden.

“For Ford Performance Racing and Ford, it’s great to get the guys organised early and up to speed, hence giving them a run at today’s test,” he said.

“Having access to such experienced guys is a real bonus, so we can take full advantage of the co-driver sessions at races throughout this year and get both drivers fully comfortable with our Falcons.

“We believe we have signed the two best drivers that aren’t currently driving full time in the main game; this will allow us to be flexible with our combinations when it comes time to decide on pairings for the endurance events.”

Richards’ #6 Falcon is devoid of a major sponsor at Winton today, however FPR promises the naming-rights sponsor will be revealed shortly and that the sponsor will turn heads in pitlane.

“It’s no secret I didn’t have the best of seasons last year but that’s behind us now and I’m as refreshed and raring to go as ever,” Richo said.

“I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be a good year.”