Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALMS news

ALMS news

Posted 12.18.09
    DR. ULLRICH: AUDI R8 LMS FOR 2011 CHALLENGE CLASS?
    Audi Motorsport chief says plans are to sell cars in US for 2011

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich: "If we can do something to support (the GT Challenge class), we would like to do it."

Audi Sport chief Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich says plans are under way to bring Audi’s R8 LMS production car to North America, perhaps as early as 2011. On this week’s Midweek Motorsport radio show, he told host John Hindhaugh that having the R8 LMS in the American Le Mans Series’ GT Challenge class is an intriguing idea.

“From 2011 on, we want to the cars available to customers in the United States,” Ulrich said. “We will have to build up a customer service that provides the good service that is expected from an Audi car in the United States. I think it would be interesting for IMSA to open (the GT Challenge) class. If we can do something to support it, we would like to do it. We have been working with IMSA for some time in building up the American Le Mans Series. I think a GT3 class (or similar) in the American Le Mans Series is something positive.”
    Last edited by Julie B; 20th July 2010 at 20:58.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Series spotlight - Chris Dyson 2009-12-16
    Racing series ALMS
    Date 2009-12-16

CHRIS DYSON: A DRIVEN MAN

Chris Dyson is a very driven man. Both in and out the cockpit, Dyson exudes passion and professionalism in his unique position as head of Dyson Racing and as one of its drivers in the No. 20 BP Lola-Mazda. Flat out, even in the offseason, the 31-year-old still had time to speak with Lola-Group.com this week on his teams 2009 season and also looking ahead impatiently towards 2010.

Looking at the season as a whole, how satisfied were you in the progress made with the Lola-Mazda package in 2009?

"We were really delighted with the performance gains we saw throughout 2009. We always knew the package had potential, and we saw this quite early in the season. By the end of the season we had the fastest car in our category, and that was very satisfying - especially given the strength of our competition in the form of the Acura and Porsche Spyder teams."

What is it specifically that attracts Dyson to Lola sports cars?

"The cars are always fundamentally extremely well conceived at the cutting edge of technology. From a safety standpoint, there's no other sports car constructor who builds better cars. From Martin Birrane on down, everyone at Lola is massively committed to achieving sports car racing success, and we wholeheartedly share their philosophy. It's a wonderful partnership."

You sampled Le Mans for the first time in a Lola this year. You must have ambitions to bring the Dyson team to La Sarthe?

"I had a great experience with the RML Mazda team at Le Mans. We were very competitive throughout the event in all conditions. We remain highly interested in taking our team to Le Mans, but we also recognize that all the pieces need to be in place for a proper effort. It is a logistical and financial commitment that requires full commitment from sponsors and we are always weighing the timing of taking our team to Le Mans. It's a fantastic event. For the time being, however, our priority for 2010 is achieving success in the American Le Mans Series."

Do you believe in the Coupe concept for modern day LMPs and do you think they have a clear future?

"I certainly hope so! There's no more evocative and defining machinery racing anywhere in the world than the current LMP coupes. I grew up during the IMSA GTP era so I'm inherently biased towards closed-top prototypes. I think they have an amazing resonance with both manufacturers and fans alike. The following for the Lola-Mazda is far beyond any other car I've driven. The cars look like they are doing 200mph sitting still, and that for me is the essence of a racing car. I think it would be foolish for the organizers to not embrace the coupe concept for the long-term as the shapes of these cars make them truly unique in the world of motorsport and ensure that our style of racing is instantly recognizable. Thankfully, Lola understands this quite clearly."

Posted 12.22.09
    SERIES TEAMS TALK ABOUT THE INTERCONTINENTAL CUP
    International acclaim and competition spurs interest from American Le Mans Series teams following the newly innovative and highly anticipated Intercontinental Cup, a creation by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest that will debut on the world’s stage in 2010.

The ACO recently announced that Silverstone (September), Road Atlanta’s Petit Le Mans (October) and an Asian site (Novermber, venue TBA) will be the three host sites for the Intercontinental Cup. The competition is strictly for LMP1 teams and is geared toward factory entries. But will American Le Mans Series’ fans see Autocon, Drayson Racing or Intersport confirming an entry?

Autocon Racing:

“There is unfortunately no way we can do it as a small privateer team with a volunteer crew. … but if someone would get my car there, I would do the rest.

“I have been a racing fan since I was five years old and I would love to go to Silverstone - my family is from there - but the logistics in the short term, being 2010, do not make it possible.

“I am certainly aware of the (remarkable) tracks around the world, but it’s a long way to travel.”

- Mike Lewis, Driver/Owner

Drayson Racing:

“The Intercontinental Cup is a terrific idea that provides a global stage for world class factory and private sports car teams to compete at the highest level. Drayson Racing's ‘world tour’ of races in the American Le Mans Series, LMS and Asian Le Mans Series in 2009 gave me a clear sense of the potential for such a global championship. We will compete with our LMP1 Lola Coupe Judd V10 in the ACO’s Intercontinental Cup in 2010. I hope that, in time, this will lead to a full world championship for LMP1 sports cars emphasising speed, endurance, energy efficiency and technological innovation. In other words, a global motorsport series that is relevant in the 21st century. It is an exciting prospect.”

- Paul Drayson, Driver/Owner

“We have been looking forward to the ACO’s announcement about the Intercontinental Cup. The Intercontinental Cup fits perfectly into the strategy of Paul and Elspeth Drayson to take our team and its message to the great venues of the world. We had our own ‘world tour’ last year and got to race at all three of these venues and enjoyed considerable success. With much more P1 experience under our belt entering these races next year, we feel we have a good shot at what I think will become a prestigious championship. To compete in a world championship has always been a personal goal for me and I am looking forward to what the future will hold if the sport returns to a true, international championship for LMP1 cars.”
    - Dale White, Team Manager

Intersport Racing:

“In these economic times, it’s probably not the best idea for us; however, bearing some sponsorship, we would reconsider.

“As we are running in the American Le Mans Series, you will be seeing us at Petit Le Mans - one hundred percent.

“I’m supportive of any kind of racing, but at this moment, it doesn’t fit our business model and our team. It would be worthwhile more for a factory team because they can showcase their car and do some R&D around the world.”

Clint Field, Drivers/Owner

Posted 12.22.09
    AUSTIN HATCHER FOUNDATION DISPLAYS RARE, HAND CARVED TIRE AT NATIONAL CORVETTE MUSEUM
    Michelin Tire featured by the Series' GT1 Series Championship Winning Corvette Racing Team
    The Austin Hatcher Foundation's one-of-a-kind, hand-carved Michelin tire is now on display, along with the rear wheel from the 2007 American Le Mans Series GT1 Championship Corvette, at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky. This piece of motorsports history was part of the General Motors display at the 2009 SEMA show and will remain at the museum until mid-January, and will be auctioned later in the year to raise monies for children and families affected by pediatric cancer.

During the 2009 American Le Mans Series Petite Le Mans, drivers from Corvette Racing's Championship team, Austin Hatcher Foundation guests, and celebrities had the rare opportunity to help carve this unique tread onto the Michelin tire, mounted on a BBS wheel at the American Le Mans Series/Michelin/Corvette Racing "Tire Groove" Event. The tread, which showcases the logos of Michelin, Corvette Racing, the American Le Mans Series, the Austin Hatcher Foundation and the Foundation's Hatch's house of hope, made its transformation over the course of the weekend, with many people getting a chance to carve this piece of history.

The Corvette Racing rear wheel was provided by Pratt Miller/Corvette Racing and was on the #4 GT1 Corvette during every one of the eleven races the car won during the 2007 American Le Mans Series.

Participating drivers from the Championship Corvette Team, which boasts six 24 Hours of Le Mans class wins, as well as eight American Le Mans Series GT1 Manufacturers Championships, eight American Le Mans Series GT1 Team Championships and seven American Le Mans Series GT1 Drivers Championships, included Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Johnny O'Connell from the Compuware Corvette C6.R No. 3 and Olivier Beretta, Marcel Fassler and Oliver Gavin from the Compuware Corvette C6.R No. 4 car. Also taking the time out to make his mark on the tire was Corvette Racing Program Manager and well known Corvette icon, Doug Fehan.

The Austin Hatcher Foundation for a carefree childhood was formed in 2006 after Amy Jo and Jim Osborn lost their infant son Hatch to a rare form of pediatric cancer. The foundation's mission is to support research towards the diagnosis, treatment and development of a cure for pediatric cancer, and to provide support and hope to children and families undergoing treatment as well as those who have lost children due to cancer. The foundation has developed a landmark group of programs and services essential to help cancer stricken children and their families function within their community. All services provided by the Foundation are free of charge, funded solely by the generous donations of its supporters.

Hatch's house of hope is a unique concept designed to keep the family unit whole when dealing with pediatric cancer. Specifically, these services include Comprehensive Psychological/Neuropsychological testing, educational programming to help effected children overcome their cognitive and learning deficits, emotional counseling for the cancer affected child, their siblings and parents, and marital and financial counseling to ensure a safe environment to maximize the family growth as a whole. All services at Hatch's are free to its guests, funded entirely by donations. Erlanger Medical Mall in Chattanooga, TN is the site of the first Hatch's house of hope, which opened September18, 2009. For more information, visit www.hatcherfoundation.org <http://www.hatcherfoundation.org/> .

The Austin Hatcher Foundation and the American Le Mans Series
    In an effort to help support children and families dealing with issues resulting from pediatric cancer, the American Le Mans Series has partnered with the Austin Hatcher Foundation as an official charity of the Series. During each season, many of the world’s top sports car drivers will visit pediatric wards in various race markets nationwide to directly interact and support the children with pediatric cancer and their families.

The National Corvette Museum, known as home to Corvette enthusiasts all over the world, is located in Bowling Green, KY. Established as a 501(c)3not-for-profit foundation with a mission of celebrating the invention of the Corvette and preserving its past, present and future, the museum serves as an educational and research model open to the public. The Corvette, whose first model rolled out in 1953, is known as America's Sports Car.

Posted 12.23.09
    CORVETTE RACING 2009 REVIEW: DOUG FEHAN Q&A
    The First in a Series of Conversations with Corvette Racing
    Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan has seen it all in motorsports, and he had to rely on every element of that hard-earned experience to navigate through a tumultuous 2009 season. In the midst of a global economic storm, Fehan steered Corvette Racing to the team's sixth win in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the successful mid-year introduction of the GT2 version of the Corvette C6.R in the American Le Mans Series.

Corvette Racing's 10th anniversary season was a year of transition. The championship-winning GT1 Compuware Corvettes secured a seventh win in the season-opening Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on March 21, and made their farewell appearance in the ALMS in Long Beach, Calif., on April 18. The curtain fell on the GT1 era on June 13-14 with a GT1 victory in Le Mans, France, as Johnny O'Connell, Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia stood on the top step of the podium. Seven weeks later, two new-generation Corvette C6.Rs made their competition debut in the GT2 class at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

As the team conducted a five-race test program in preparation for a unified GT class in 2010, Corvette Racing posted five podium finishes and notched its first GT2 win at Mosport International Raceway on August 30. In the series' final five rounds, Corvette Racing scored more team and manufacturer points than any other GT2 entry, and O'Connell and Magnussen tallied the most points in the GT2 drivers championship. The season ended with fireworks at Laguna Seca as Magnussen walked away from his battered race car after a high-speed crash on the final lap of the season.

Under Fehan's leadership, Corvette Racing has become one of the world's premier production sports car teams. An ardent advocate for the Corvette cause and an icon for legions of faithful Corvette fans; Fehan received the ALMS "From the Fans" award in 2004, 2008, and 2009. In the following Q&A, he looks back at the 2009 season and looks ahead to 2010.

Q: Looking in the rearview mirror, what stands out in 2009?

Fehan: "There were really two parts to the season – our final races in GT1 leading up to Le Mans, followed by the debut of the GT2 program. Our focus was and will always be the 24 Hours of Le Mans. When GM was going through its restructuring, our greatest concern was that some might not understand the importance and significance of that event. It was a heartening moment when we were able to get past that point.

"In spite of many uncertainties, the team focused its energy on running the first round at Sebring, which we knew would be a great test of the engineering improvements we'd made in the race cars. And then going to Long Beach, we fulfilled the second half of our mission, which is marketing the Corvette and Chevrolet brands and representing our team sponsors.

"Everyone felt the importance of writing the final chapter of GT1 at Le Mans. They dedicated themselves to succeed, and it was absolutely amazing to see them embrace that idea. It fueled their fire because they knew the team was undergoing its most significant challenge, and concurrently they were designing, planning and building the GT2 cars. The preparation was almost as much fun as the race."

Q: And the highlight of the GT2 portion?

Fehan: "The win at Mosport. Watching the new cars' first laps at Mid-Ohio and knowing that we'd be competitive was certainly exciting, but the victory at Mosport was overwhelming. It happened much sooner than we expected, and it showed ALMS fans what they have to look forward to in 2010 with competition between Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, and Ford.

"I think by any measure, the GT2 Corvette introduction was successful. Our objective was to focus on Corvette Racing's core strengths: preparation, durability and reliability. We've learned that is what scores points – it's not always the fastest car that wins races and championships. In five events, we had zero mechanical issues, and the cars were on pace. That was very encouraging."

Q: Surely one of the highlights of 2009 was your stunning victory over Jan "The Flying Viking" Magnussen in the Tour de Road America Bike Ride to Fight Cancer?

Fehan: "That certainly ranks right at the top, but in a different category (laughs). We had some fun, and the race benefited a good cause, the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I challenge the pit crews to improve continuously, and the bike race demonstrated to our drivers that there is going to be continuous improvement in their level of physical preparation as well. I mean, they ought to be able to keep up with the program manager!"

Q: On a serious note, what were the lessons learned in Jan's last-lap crash at Laguna Seca?

Fehan: "Unfortunately the hardest lessons you learn in this sport are always safety related. You never want to put your safety systems to the test, but when that moment arrives, it's very reassuring to know that they are validated. That's what we learned at Laguna Seca.

"Initially we had concerns about running an aluminum chassis, and we had concerns about how the roll cage was integrated into the chassis. The force of the impact exceeded 50 g's, and yet Jan walked away. When we analyzed the chassis after the crash, the safety systems worked just as they were designed, and the aluminum chassis did a marvelous job of absorbing the energy and protecting Jan from serious injury.

"The extent of Jan's injuries was a broken tailbone, which we attribute to the seat design. We have redesigned that part to prevent a reoccurrence in the future, so that is the upside of the incident. Despite the severity of the crash, the crew had the No. 3 Corvette repaired and fully operational within a couple of weeks."

Q: What is the status of the GT-spec Corvette customer car program for 2010?

Fehan: "We currently have two customer cars under construction, but we don't yet have confirmed buyers for them. There has been tremendous interest in the GT-spec Corvette C6.Rs, and we think with continued improvement in the global economy, the interested parties will be able to make a commitment. We'd be delighted to see more Corvettes racing in the ALMS or overseas."

Q: While there will be a single GT class in the ALMS in 2010, GT1 will continue in the FIA series and at Le Mans. What's your perspective on the two classes?

Fehan: "A year ago, there was general agreement regarding a unified GT class, which we will see in the ALMS in 2010. The intention at that time was to base the FIA GT1 class on GT cars, with limited modifications to the engine and aerodynamics. Since then, however, Europe has encountered the same economic issues that we have faced in the U.S., and many members of the racing community understandably wish to retain their current cars for financial reasons. Consequently some of the older GT1 cars will now be converted to the new regulations, including several privately owned Corvette C6.Rs, and the ACO has invited these cars to participate at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As the economic climate improves, I hope that the decision makers will recognize the benefits of running one GT class at Le Mans and other venues."

Q: Corvette Racing will introduce a production-based 5.5-liter small-block V-8 engine in 2010 in place of the 7.0-liter and 6.0-liter engines used previously. What's the outlook for the engine program?

Fehan: "GM Powertrain has completed the initial dynamometer tests of the 5.5-liter small-block V8, and the race team has conducted the first track test with the new engine. We are quite satisfied with its performance level at this point. We plan to continue development and introduce the 5.5-liter engine package in competition at Sebring."

Q: What are Corvette Racing's goals for 2010?

Fehan: "The ALMS GT championship and victory at Le Mans."

Merry Christmas from Risi Competizione.We'll be back on track in 2010 in the new Ferrari 430 Evoluzione. See you at Sebring!!!

Posted 12.29.09
    ENDURANCE OF ANOTHER KIND FOR GAVIN, MOWLEM, SMITH
    Running in London Marathon to support children's cancer
    American Le Mans Series stars Oliver Gavin, Johnny Mowlem and Guy Smith are among the membership of the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) that will contest this year's London Marathon on April 25 in support of the children’s cancer charity, CLIC Sargent in the UK. All three are avid runners, and not surprisingly long-distance running is part of their training program for endurance racing.

Corvette Racing’s Gavin, in particular, is a marathon man having raced in both the Paris and London marathons since his first race in 2002.

A number of fellow BRDC participants are familiar names to American Le Mans Series fans – Andy Priaulx, Darren Turner, Peter Dumbreck and Richard Westbrook among them.

Posted 01.05.10
    CORVETTE’S FEHAN: EFFICIENCY IS THE BUZZWORD
    Corvette’s green innovations and other random thoughts

Doug Fehan educating the masses on Corvette Racing's green philosophy.

When it comes to preaching the gospel of GM and green racing, there’s no better messenger than Doug Fehan. Corvette Racing’s immensely popular program manager will be on his way to Daytona Beach, Fla., for a Thursday night address to participants in the EcoCAR Challenge. The program is a three-year collegiate advanced vehicle technology engineering competition established by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) and General Motors (GM), and is being managed by Argonne National Laboratory.

“The plan is to talk to them about what GM’s initiatives are and what we do at Corvette Racing – our association with E85 and the MICHELIN GREEN X Challenge,” said Fehan, who oversaw Corvette’s 2009 effort that netted the Green Challenge GT championship as well as American Le Mans Series victories in both GT1 and GT2. “From a pure racing standpoint, we’ll be looking at things like our use of E85 in the C6.R, aerodynamic advancements, ceramic wheel bearings, zero viscosity lubricants and working with Michelin on rolling resistance in tires.”

The new 5.5-liter V8 that will power Corvette Racing's two Corvette C6.Rs will have one final test before debuting at Sebring.

The competition challenges 17 universities across North America to reduce the environmental impact of vehicles by minimizing the vehicle’s fuel consumption and reducing its emissions while retaining the vehicle’s performance, safety and consumer appeal. Students use a real-world engineering process to design and integrate their advanced technology solutions into a GM-donated vehicle.

“Efficiency is the buzzword,” Fehan said. “The same things we look at in race cars are the same ones we look at in production cars. Manufacturers are looking at those things like components and wind resistances, not just fuel and energy. The ZR1 (the car on which the GT Corvette is homologated) is a living, breathing testament to what we call cascade engineering. We went from C5 to C6 to Z06 to now the ZR1, sharing information and developments with the production side of GM.

“This is going to progress in steps,” he said of the continual push for automotive efficiency and innovation. “You know, Edison looked at more than 2,000 iterations of the light bulb that didn’t work. He was interviewed and said he was encouraged because he found 2,000 ways it didn’t work and was that much closer to having something that did work. You have to go through these processes in order to eliminate ideas that aren’t practical.”

Fehan also answered a couple of other Corvette Racing-related queries…

Testing of new Corvette 5.5-liter GT motor?
    “We had one of the cars testing at Road Atlanta in November with the 5.5-liter. The feedback was very, very good. The dyno work has been continuous. We will be back on track again in February for the final test before we debut it at Sebring for the 12 Hours.”

Corvette customer prospects?
    “We’ve had a tremendous amount of interest. Admittedly, it’s tough in these times. But both in North America and Europe, people are genuinely excited and we’ve fielded a lot of calls.”

Will the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix be back?
    “I would certainly hope so. That is strictly up to Roger (Penske) but I think every competitor would like to see that brought back on the schedule. Roger said he would take a two-year hiatus and evaluate things (Ed. Note: Indeed, event chairman Bud Denker is optimistic for a 2011 return). He has made a terrific investment in the infrastructure on Belle Isle.”

The importance of the Detroit Auto Show to the city and GM?
    “It is still a massive event. Clearly, the extravagance in the displays across the board has been dramatically reduced. That’s Toyota, Mercedes, GM, Ford - everyone is taking a serious look at where they are. But Detroit is still the motor capital of the world, and the importance of the show hasn’t changed a bit.”

The American Le Mans Series will open its 12th season with America’s greatest sports car race, the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida from March 17-20. The green flag will fall at 10:35 a.m. on Saturday, March 20 with live coverage on SPEED.

The annual American Le Mans Series Winter Test is scheduled for February 22-23, also at Sebring International Raceway.

You can follow the Series on Twitter (almsnotes) and on our Facebook page and the official YouTube channel.

Posted 01.08.10

NEW TEAM. VETERAN DRIVER

Johannes van Overbeek, one of the world’s top independent Porsche drivers, promotes the challenges and accolades that come from building and being part of a new team. Now the latest member of Extreme Speed Motorsports, van Overbeek talks about how this GT entry has and continues to prepare its two Ferrari F430 GTs to be competition-ready for the 2010 American Le Mans Series.

Let's get to the heart of your new team, Extreme Speed Motorsports. What has the team been recently doing to prepare for its first year in the American Le Mans Series?

“Currently we are in the process of building a new team headquarters in Florida, and our team owner Scott (Sharp) has been hard at it for more than a month. I have seen a few photos and it is really going to be something amazing.”

You have been with the Flying Lizard Motorsports team since its groundbreaking. What is it like to go through this experience with Extreme Speed Motorsports?

“Yes, it is true. I was with [Flying Lizard] since the very, very beginning, so I am well aware of all the hard work that Scott and Derek (Granison) have done and need to continue to do going forward. They have done an exceptional job putting all the pieces together – with building the shop, the car and organizing a team of people. Most fans only see the shiny cars that go around the race track, but there is a huge amount of pieces that have to be properly put into place.”

Van Overbeek: "I look forward to this new challenge and couldn’t be happier to join Extreme (Speed Motorsports)."

Also, in your Series career, you have piloted Porsches and BMWs. This will be the first time in a Ferrari. Is there a lot of excitement surrounding learning a new car?

“I have to say that I am going to be sad not being able to work with all the friends I’ve made at Porsche in the more recent years, but I am excited to meet new friends in Ferrari. I look forward to this new challenge and couldn’t be happier to join Extreme, Scott, Ed (Brown), and Guy (Cosmo), and having Patrón a part of the project. I am excited about 2010.”

What about your new teammates – are you familiar yet with their driving styles and preferences?

“I was around Scott, Ed and Guy a lot last year during the American Le Mans Series season, but haven’t driven with any of them before.”

In 2009, you were honored with the winning of the MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge award, has Extreme Speed Motorsports also been showing signs of embracing the green initiatives of the Series?

“I felt honored to win the first annual MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge award. At Extreme Speed Motorsports, we want to operate everything as efficiently as possible because there is a time and money component as well as the desire to be a good steward of the earth.

“From my position, I will certainly work toward being as efficient as possible while improving our impacts on the earth as much as we can and without sacrificing any performance. It’s nice because the two are really linked together – there is a synergy. You can’t really do one without the other.”

Will we expect to see you at Winter Test?

“Our team will be there. It will be a great time to fine tune our internal processes to allow us to be as competitive as we can possibly be.”

Van Overbeek also answered a couple additional personality questions for the fans:

What was your first race car and how old were you?

“I drove a Z-28 Camaro at 22 years old.”

What car do you currently drive on a daily basis?

“My passenger car is a Subaru station wagon.”

How do you stay in the peak physical shape?

“I like to go longdistance cycling.”

What is one thing fans might not know about you?

“I'm left handed.”

Name one living person you would like to meet and why?

“***** Yeager. I've always been an aviation fan.”

Who is the Series personality (driver, owner, crew member) you admire the most?

“Don Panoz (Founder of American Le Mans Series). Without him the Series wouldn't exist.”

The American Le Mans Series will open its 12th season with America’s greatest sports car race, the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida from March 17-20. The green flag will fall at 10:35 a.m. on Saturday, March 20 with live coverage on SPEED. For ticket and accommodation information, see sebringraceway.com

The annual American Le Mans Series Winter Test is scheduled for February 22-23, also at Sebring International Raceway.

You can follow the Series on Twitter (almsnotes) and on our Facebook page and the official YouTube channel.

Marino Franchitti joins Patrón Highcroft Racing
    By Team Update ⋅ January 14, 2010

© Patrón Highcroft Racing

Highcroft Racing has locked in another American Le Mans Series race winner for its 2010 driver line-up with Marino Franchitti joining forces with David Brabham and Simon Pagenaud.

Franchitti took two LMP2 class victories for Dyson Racing in 2009, but will now line-up aboard the Honda Performance Development factory-backed ARX-01c Patrón Highcroft Racing entry for the 2010 Twelve Hours of Sebring, the Monterey Sports Car Championship at Laguna Seca and the season-ending Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta.

Marino will have a significantly enhanced scope of responsibilities to those given to his brother, Dario, by the team last season. Alongside his three confirmed race outings, the popular Scotsman will be behind the wheel for additional test duties as well as attending each round of the ALMS championship.

Franchitti took three pole positions, three fastest race laps and 10 podiums from 10 races last season, two of which were ALMS LMP2 class victories alongside Butch Leitzinger at Lime Rock Park and at Petit Le Mans with Leitzinger and Ben Devlin.

The 31-year-old originally made his American Le Mans Series debut aboard a Ferrari 360 in 2001. After several seasons in GT machinery, Franchitti graduated to the LMP2 class in 2007 with Andretti Green Racing (AGR).

Strong results for the factory Acura AGR squad earned Franchitti a full-time ride with Dyson Racing in 2008 which grew into a factory Mazda entry last season.

The three Patrón Highcroft Racing stars will join the team in Danbury next week for their pre-season seat-fitting.

Franchitti, Brabham and Pagenaud will then undertake their first laps aboard the newly-revised ARX-01c the following week.

The team’s 2010 livery will be revealed at the annual Wheels Down Winter Test at Sebring on February 22-23. The opening round of the 2010 American Le Mans Series at Sebring is scheduled for March 20.

Marino Franchitti
    “It’s great to be joining the championship winning team and linking up not only with last year’s two fastest drivers in LMP1 in the American Le Mans Series, but also two good friends who will be my teammates. Brabs I’ve known and admired for years, and Simon became a friend almost from the time he came to the ALMS.
    “I’m very excited about my role with the team because I will not only be doing the long races at Sebring, Laguna Seca and Petit Le Mans, but I will also be attending all the other races.
    “My job will be to sit in on all our team briefings and hopefully be able to learn and also lean on some of the experience I’ve gained in recent years in order to have a positive input into the development of the car. There are also a lot of test miles planned in preparation for the championship defense so I know I won’t be idle.
    “Duncan has made no secret of his desire to contest the 24 Hours of Le Mans and also expand the team into a second car, so obviously there are some great opportunities ahead.
    “We’ve been friends for a long time and you can’t help but be impressed by what Duncan and his team have accomplished in recent years.”

Duncan Dayton
    “The calendar clash with Petit Le Mans and IndyCar forced us to look for a new third driver for this year and we were very fortunate to be able to keep it in the family.
    “But Marino’s surname really had nothing to do with the decision. He has been extremely impressive over the past couple of seasons and we jumped at the opportunity to grab him when he became available.
    “We’ve been friends for quite a few years and he shares the same passion for the sport that we all have here in Danbury - both for modern and historic racing.
    “We’re excited about his role for Patrón Highcroft Racing. We’re looking to build for the future and as we expand program, we’d like Marino to be a part of that.
    “Brabs has played an integral role for our team and we want him to be a part our organization for many years to come - but he may not want still to be behind the wheel in 10 years time.
    “Bringing younger guys on board like Simon and Marino is important for securing our future.
    “I’m truly excited about our line-up for the 2010 season and can’t wait to kick off our championship defense.”

FEINBERG AND MARCELLI TO LMP FOR 2010
    Primetime Race Group has signed 19-year-old Canadian driver Kyle Marcelli to race alongside team owner Joel Feinberg in the 2010 American Le Mans Series in the Le Mans Prototype Challenge class (LMPC). After clinching the 2009 IMSA Lites championship, the Florida-based team has decided to build on its success and transition from IMSA Lites and the American Le Mans Series’ GT2 class to LMPC.

Throughout 2009, Feinberg and Marcelli competed head-to-head in IMSA Lites, one of the sanctioning body’s premier development championships. Recognizing each other’s abilities behind the wheel as well as sharing the same aspirations as drivers, the two will team up for a run at the LMPC season championship in 2010.

Together they will co-drive the Primetime Race Group entry through the pre-season testing and in each of the nine events on the American Le Mans Series race schedule. Their goal is to improve upon Primetime’s 2009 championships and claim a 2010 season championships in the LMPC class, which would make Marcelli the youngest American Le Mans Series champion in history.

“This is a dream come true for me,” said Marcelli. “When I was 13, my dad and I used to go to Mosport International Raceway each year when the American Le Mans Series arrived in late August. We would sit on top of Turn 2 with thousands of others and watch the prototypes and GT cars race by. Six years later, I have found myself behind the wheel. I’m excited to team up with Joel and Primetime. He is a quick driver with a good amount of experience in the American Le Mans Series, and the team has shown a great track record over the years. I know we will both be pushing each other all season long.”

Primetime is no stranger to the big show. The team campaigned its Dodge Viper GT2 program in the American Le Mans Series full time for the past two years as an independent team and Feinberg was recently awarded the 2009 Founders Cup Championship as the No. 1 gentleman driver in the Series.

“This move is a true testament to all of our hard work over the past few years,” said Feinberg. “Our goal as a team since day one was to start at the bottom and work our way to the top. We’ve proven ourselves thus far and have established a team that can compete anywhere, against anyone. Racing at this level is a serious commitment and it takes the effort of the entire team to win races. After racing against Kyle last year and getting to know him I feel that he will be a great addition to our team and I look forward to winning lots of races with him this year.”

“When we announced the formation of the Le Mans Prototype Challenge class in August, Joel was one of the first to express interest in participating for the 2010 season. The announcement of Primetime Race Group’s involvement in the Series is a textbook example of what we envisioned – an opportunity for existing teams to advance into the prototype category. Joel’s and Primetime’s experience both as GT competitors in the American Le Mans Series and also IMSA Lites will benefit them significantly in this exciting new category” stated American Le Mans Series President and CEO Scott Atherton. “We offer Joel and everyone at Primetime our sincere thanks for their past involvement and best wishes for a successful 2010 LMPC campaign.”

The team will attend the Series’ annual Winter Test on February 22-23 at Sebring International Raceway. Drivers Feinberg and Marcelli will use testing time to develop the car and be race-ready for the start of the 2010 American Le Mans Series season, which kicks off on March 20th with the 58th Mobile 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.

PATRÓN HIGHCROFT RACING'S MARINO FRANCHITTI Q&A
    More from newest part of Duncan Dayton's 'Dream Team'
    Patrón Highcroft Racing's newest signing Marino Franchitti will hit the track at Autosport International in the UK today, doing battle in teammate David Brabham's Celebrity Karting Challenge.

Franchitti will also appear on the Autosport Stage at 10:30am this morning alongside team boss Duncan Dayton. David Brabham will follow on stage at 11:00am.

While they will be rivals in today's event benefiting Malaria No More, Franchitti and Brabham will team up at Sebring, Laguna Seca and Road Atlanta for Patrón Highcroft Racing in 2010. The Scottish star looks forward to season ahead in this Q&A.

Q: How much are you looking forward to joining David Brabham and Simon Pagenaud in the ALMS championship-winning team?

A: "I can't wait to get started. We're all going to meet up at the end of January for a seat fitting and for me, it can't come quick enough.
    "It's great to be joining the championship winning team and linking up not only with last year's two fastest drivers in in LMP1 in the American Le Mans Series, but also two good friends who will be my teammates. Brabs I've known and admired for years, and Simon became a friend almost from the time he came to the ALMS.
    "I think together we should make a really good team. There are a lot of guys at Patron Highcroft who I have worked with before in other programs so it really feels like home for me."

Q: How did the opportunity come about to join Patrón Highcroft Racing for 2010?

A: "I've had a great couple of years with Dyson Racing and they had one car confirmed for next year but were still working on the second car. Rob and Chris (Dyson) were very up-front with me and allowed me to go and pursue other opportunities.
    "Simon was already locked in as Brabs' season-long teammate, but now Duncan has given me a fantastic chance to not only contest the long-distance races this year, but also play a role with the team going forward into the future.
    "It was something I really couldn't turn down. I have to thank Dyson Racing for the opportunities they provided me over the past two years and allowing me to show what I could do. That really opened doors for me."

Q: What will your role be with the team throughout the 2010 season?

A: "I'm very excited about my role with the team because I will not only be doing the long races at Sebring, Laguna Seca and Petit Le Mans, but I will also be attending all the other races.
    "My job will be to sit in on all our engineering briefings and hopefully be able to learn and also lean on some of the experience I've gained in recent years in order to have a positive input into the development of the car. There are also a lot of test miles planned in preparation for the championship defense so I know I won't be idle.
    "For me, it will also be a great opportunity to learn from Brabs, who has tremendous experience in sportscar racing, and also the outstanding group of guys the team has in every department. I'll be just as busy as any other season, but with slightly less racing miles in 2010."

Q: Have you set your sights on other potential opportunities at Patrón Highcroft Racing in the future?

A: "Duncan has made no secret of his desire to contest the 24 Hours of Le Mans and also expand the team into a second car, so obviously there are some great opportunities ahead.
    "We've been friends for a long time and you can't help but be impressed by what Duncan and his team have accomplished in recent years.
    "I think they have become the envy of the pit lane and it is now fantastic to be a part of that program.
    "Duncan and I share a lot of the same passions - both in modern and historic racing - so there is a great opportunity for me to grow and expand with the team going forward."

Q: After several seasons in GT machinery early in your career, does the chance to go on and drive for organizations like Andretti Green Racing, Dyson Racing and now Patrón Highcroft Racing seem like a dream?

A: "I've had some great opportunities and been able to make the most of them; drive and determination have been crucial in my career. I always knew I could do the job given the right circumstances and I've been fortunate to have the equipment and the chance to do that.
    "A few years ago I had to try and talk people into believing I could do the job, but fortunately the results have come which made it much easier and that is a nice progression to have made.
    Brabs and I being where we are now, it's funny looking back to when we were both part of the Panoz GT program, myself in 2005 and Brabs a year later.
    "Brabs has shown his determination, skill and complete focus to put him in this position. Simon is the same. After Champ Car went away he has gone on to show he is one of the fastest LMP drivers in the series.
    "For me it has been about hunger and striving to achieve my goals. I'm not quite there yet, but moving to Patrón Highcroft Racing is a big step in the right direction."

Q: Your brother Dario has obviously had a great career, but do you feel you're starting to make a name for yourself as Marino Franchitti, not just Dario's brother?

A: "I really felt I began to make a name for myself back in 2007 in the AGR car. At the end of the day, I am my own man and I drive a completely different discipline of motorsport to my brother.
    "When I moved to Dyson people really started to recognize me as an individual, and my second name really didn't come into it which is really nice."

Q: What have you been able to learn about the team from guys who you have worked with before and your brother?

A: "I got to observe the team in action from close quarters, so even when I was a rival, everyone was very welcoming at all times.
    "The team has a very impressive set-up and you only have to look at the job that they did over the three years of the Acura program to be impressed.
    "Knowing a few of the guys at Patron Highcroft I know Duncan has given them the resources to get the job done and looking at the effort they put in at Petit Le Mans over the past two years - rebuilding those cars was nothing short of remarkable.
    "Dyson Racing has that same kind of spirit so it is really nice to again be racing with a bunch of guys who love the sport as much as I do.
    "Duncan's passion knows no bounds and that spreads right throughout the team."

Q: How competitive do you feel the overall prototype class will be next year with LMP1 and LMP2 combined in the American Le Man Series?

A: "There are a few cars out there which are going to be very strong including the Drayson Lola. My old friends at Dyson Racing will also be fast because I know they have been working very hard on new developments.
    "It is going to be very interesting to see where everybody is after the rules come out and everybody gets a couple of races under their belt.
    "Getting points at every race will be critical and the Patrón Highcroft guys showed that last year, but with all the prototypes in together, it won't be a matter of just getting points, you're going to have to be right up the front at every race to be strong in the championship chase."

McNish disappointed to miss Sebring

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 11:12 GMT

Allan McNish has admitted he is disappointed that Audi will not be racing at this season's Sebring 12 Hours, an event it has won for nine of the last ten years.

Audi did not mention Sebring when it announced its 2010 programme last month as it did not feel it had time to convert its R15 to the revised Le Mans regulations ready for the mid-March race. A bid to run an interim car in the American Le Mans opener was vetoed by main rival Peugeot just before Christmas.

"Sebring has historically been the Le Mans preparation for us," said McNish on stage at AUTOSPORT International.

"Even though it is part of the ALMS, even when we were doing the full championship over there, it was a separate crew, separate team, of engineers, mechanics who ran Sebring because it was linked to Le Mans and it was our Le Mans preparation.

"This year because of the late change of the ACO regulations, we basically had to dump quite a lot of our development work and start again, which means the car is not going to be ready in time for that particular race. We had the option to run an interim car, but one of the competitors basically did not agree to that, so we are not in a position to do anything about it.

"It is disappointing because I think the 180,000 fans who front up at Sebring got a titanic battle in the last few years and would have had again in 2010."

Audi is still expected to hold an endurance test at Sebring even though it will not contest the race itself.

Although Audi beat Peugeot at Sebring last year, the French squad turned the tables in the Le Mans 24 Hours and ended Audi's winning streak. But McNish says his team has learned from that loss and will be harder to beat in 2010.

"It's actually quite an exciting programme this year because we obviously have the fourth year of the direct head-to-head banging session with our French friends," he said.

"We have an updated car and we've understood quite a lot of the reasons that we missed it all at Le Mans. That loss has fired everybody up quite considerably. It has been quite a good thing for everybody, a shake and reminder."

As well as Le Mans, Audi will also contest the new Intercontinental Cup, which kicks off with the AUTOSPORT 1000km at Silverstone, and the Spa round of the Le Mans Series

Porsche places Henzler at Falken team

By Matt Beer Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 16:16 GMT

Porsche has placed factory driver and former GT2 champion Wolf Henzler at the Falken team for the 2010 American Le Mans Series.

After winning the 2008 ALMS GT2 title with Jorg Bergmeister at Flying Lizard, Henzler moved to Farnbacher Loles last season. But with that team's future in doubt, the German will partner Bryan Sellers at the Falken Porsche squad, which is backed by and uses rubber from the tyre manufacturer of the same name.

Henzler will be one of three factory Porsche drivers in the ALMS, with 2009 GT2 champions Bergmeister and Patrick Long already confirmed for another season with Flying Lizard.

Porsche has also announced that its Le Mans Series GT2 champions Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz will stay with Felbermayr-Proton, with Patrick Pilet remaining at IMSA Performance.

But it has dropped Emmanuel Collard and Sascha Maassen from its line-up of factory-supported drivers, and does not currently have a full-time programme for its former ALMS LMP2 champions Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas, who raced in Grand-Am with Penske last year.

The pair remain contracted to Porsche and will focus on test and development work initially, but are confirmed to race in the Nurburgring 24 Hours.

Goossens to race RSR Jaguar again

By Matt Beer Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 16:23 GMT

Marc Goossens is to continue with the RSR Jaguar project for the 2010 American Le Mans Series season.

The Belgian will partner team boss Paul Gentilozzi at the squad, which launched its new GT2 Jaguar late last year. Goossens was part of team's test programme and also drove the car in its competition debut in the season finale at Laguna Seca.

"I have great respect for Marc," said Gentilozzi. "He is a very talented driver that has a lot to offer to this Jaguar programme.

"He provided valuable feedback during our initial testing and development in 2009, and drove flawlessly at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

"Moving forward for 2010 and fighting for a championship title we know Marc is going to be a key factor both on and off track."

RSR will also add a third, yet to be named, driver for the ALMS' longer-distance events

And the winning team WILL be :

Endurance racing champions, Risi Competizione, will boast a Championship-winning GT driver line up for its assault on the forthcoming 2010 American Le Mans Series season, it is announced today.

In reuniting 2007 ALMS Champion, Jaime Melo, with 2008 FIA GT Champion, Gianmaria Bruni, the Houston-based Ferrari team will front one of the strongest pairings in GT racing today

Good to have Jimmy Bruni on board. Bring it on - Sebring we are ready!
    Forza Risi! Forza Ferrari!
    "...as always for the Scuderia, the good of the team comes first."

"We are Ferrari and we will never give up until the moment when the maths says it's over."

Posted 01.21.10 SPHERION PARTNERS WITH KYLE MARCELLI FOR 2010

Spherion Staffing Solutions - Barrie (Ontario) branch has partnered with 19-year-old international racing car driver Kyle Marcelli for 2010 as he competes at the pinnacle level of sports car racing in the world, the American Le Mans Series. Marcelli will drive an ORECA FLM09 with Joel Feinberg in the Le Mans Prototype Challenge class, new for the coming season.

Together the duo will be exploring many strategic marketing and promotional avenues locally within the City of Barrie and abroad all to gain exposure, awareness and create a following locally within the city of 150,000.

Barrie Spherion office regional manager, BonnieSue Cuppage, is very proud to announce their support and excitement.

“Kyle’s determination, leadership, loyalty and commitment mirror the core elements that we incorporate at Spherion in achieving our business goals. Kyle’s dedication to his craft is honourable, and we salute him in his venture. We believe that supporting sports, arts and culture at the local level enriches the lives of everyone in the community.” Says Bonnie.

“I’m very happy to have Spherion on board for 2010. It means so much to have to have the local support within my home city that I do. Spherion’s excitement and energy to be involved is very pleasing. I know we both have the same goals in giving back to the community and generating more awareness and a fan following. Giving the local Barrie residents someone to cheer for!” Marcelli said.

BRABHAM HOPING TO BUILD NEXT GENERATION OF BRITISH RACING CHAMPIONS

David Brabham (Henley-on-Thames) has long been regarded as one of motorsport’s leading sportscar drivers but the Le Mans 24 Hours winner and American Le Mans Series Champion is also an established driving force in developing the next generation of racing stars.

During his recent action-packed visit to Autosport International, Brabham was announced as the National Race Coach for the new MSA Team UK driver education and development scheme, which forms the pinnacle of the MSA Academy structure created in 2009.

The MSA Academy is designed to guide young drivers from eight years old through to world championship level, while the new Team UK designation reflects the creation of a national squad of the country’s most promising drivers, aged 17-24, from the previous Elite Race and Rally schemes.

Through his Brabham Performance Clinic company, Brabham will help equip drivers with the race preparation and on-track skills to perform at the highest level, while delivering individual fitness programmes, dietary consultations and the application of advanced sports psychology.

As well as taking the opportunity to celebrate his outstanding 2009 racing achievements with his British fans at Autosport International, the sportscar legend gave 20 young karters and their parents his top tips for success in a free Karting Workshop on Saturday.

With an extensive racing career spanning from karting, British Formula 3 to Formula One, F3000, touring cars, GT and sports prototype racing, Brabham relayed his pearls of wisdom in the session which aimed to help karters aged 12-17 to develop the mental attitude for success.

Max Coates, aged 16 from Scorton, North Yorkshire, who moves from the Junior Max karting category to the Ginetta Junior series in 2010, attended the special session and commented, “Thank you very much, I really enjoyed the course and got a lot from it. I am going to put some of David’s principles to the test and hopefully use them to my benefit.”

Henry Fletcher, from Eastleigh in Hampshire, started his first full season karting in the Junior Max class in 2008, racing at Dorset kart circuits, Forest Edge and Clay Pigeon. Henry attended the Karting Workshop during what was his first ever visit to Autosport International and found the session invaluable.

Henry’s mum Emma found the topics discussed equally inspiring and commented, “David’s session gave a really good overview of all of the skills that are required, not only in helping aspiring drivers progress through the sport, but in life itself. Although the workshop was for young karters, I think parents and children took something away from this session. Particularly relevant for me was the importance of setting achievable targets and applying a positive mental attitude.”

Brabham was delighted at the response to the second ever Karting Workshop held in partnership with the Karting Show at Autosport International. He commented: “I’m over the moon with how well the Karting Workshop was received by all who attended. We had a full house and I was able to keep young minds focussed for nearly 90 minutes.

“When we hold these special sessions, we also invite drivers’ parents to attend, as the things I’m teaching are relevant to them as well. That showed in the Q&A afterwards where I answered quite a few questions from parents on topics not just relating to their child but to themselves as well. It was terrific to get such positive feedback from all who attended and it was rewarding to share such an interactive session from which I think both the children and the parents benefitted.”

With a constant keen eye on the future stars of motorsport, Brabham followed his Autosport International duties with a special visit to meet the first intake of candidates for the MSA-backed Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE) in motorsport.

Designed to develop the broad range of competences required in elite sport, AASE will help drivers (aged 16-24) develop a mix of transferable skills and qualifications, aiding their progress as a competitor and encouraging the pursuit of further/higher education and/or employment.

Held at the Porsche Human Performance Centre at Silverstone, the chance to glean expert advice from one of the world’s best sportscar drivers didn’t go unmissed by the gathered drivers who one day hope to progress to the Team UK scheme.

“Now with the MSA’s new programme structure, with Team UK at the pinnacle and the Academy underneath, I wanted to take the chance to meet the first intake of AASE candidates at Silverstone and see how the scheme is working for them,” said Brabham.

“A lot of those young people will be hoping to become a member of Team UK in the future and it’s important for us to know who is coming through the ranks. This is an area that the MSA wants us to focus on, in terms of searching for potential drivers. The AASE drivers will get a fantastic understanding of what is required before they get to that level, making our jobs a lot easier in helping them move forward.”

After helping scores of young drivers to realise their racing dreams over the past week, it’s now time for Brabham to return to his own driving duties and look forward to the exciting season ahead defending his ALMS crown with Patrón Highcroft Racing.

“It was fantastic to play such an active role at Autosport International but now I’m heading back to the States and my Highcroft duties. Planning for the 2010 season is well underway - I’ll be having my seat fitting with my two teammates Simon [Pagenaud] and Marino [Franchitti] and then it’s on to begin our pre-season testing campaign. I can’t wait.”

Posted 01.22.10 Share IN HIS OWN WORDS: DRAYSON RACING’S JONNY COCKER

If Jonny Cocker’s 2010 season continues like 2009 ended, it will be a banner year for Drayson Racing’s young ace pilot. The team’s move to LMP racing late in 2009 and confirmation of a full American Le Mans Series entry for this year have fans buzzing on both sides of the Atlantic. Lolacars.com caught up with Cocker for a brief Q&A.

Q: Jonny, since that great weekend in Okayama last autumn (his first career pole position in Le Mans-style racing) what’s been happening –how have you been preparing for this year?

JC: Unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do really over the last month but I have been doing as much as I can be - especially in the gym - to ensure that I am as fit as possible in preparation for next year. You also get other things sorted as well, all the little bits really; getting your kit sorted, that sort of thing.

I really just can’t wait for 2010 to begin, I think Okoyama proved that the Lola-Judd LMP1 is an out-of-the-box quick package. I am really looking forward to the upgrades for 2010 because if we can build on what we already had it will be terrific. I am really looking forward to driving the new car to see how it feels but I am still very much in the learning stage with this car only having driven the car twice in a proper event. Laguna we obviously had the incident, so we didn’t get much time in the race unfortunately, but Japan couldn’t have gone any better. I think we built from the first session and in the last free practice we did a new tire run in preparation for qualifying and didn’t really kind of hook the lap up. We had traffic, but what was good was that we didn’t really show our true pace. So, going into qualifying I had in the back of my mind that it’s possible, we can challenge for a front row or maybe even pole, so to get pole was absolutely incredible. You know, it was a moment I will never forget.

Cocker: Actually, physically driving the car is far less physical than the GT2 car but in the high-speed corners extra strength in your arms and upper body and neck is where it makes the difference.

Q: In terms of the change from racing a GT Aston Martin to an LMP, I guess there are certain physical changes: tell us about any extra training. Is there an area that you feel the LMP is more physical to drive that a GT?

JC: Yes, I think it’s surprising actually to people. I find, having only ever driven GT cars, I have zero experience with any cars with any proper level of downforce. Single seaters I have never had anything to do with, so for me to jump from a GT2 car into an LMP1 car - and an LMP1 car that everyone knows has got absolutely superb downforce - I was a little bit apprehensive going into it, thinking “Oh my God, am I going to cope with it?” Actually, physically driving the car is far less physical than the GT2 car but in the high-speed corners extra strength in your arms and upper body and neck is where it makes the difference.

Actually, you know, a circuit like Le Mans, I would expect it would be easier to do a stint there in a P1 car than it would (in a GT). That is because you get a proper rest, you really don’t need to move an awful lot, you’re really comfortable in the car, you have got a proper seat in a really nice position and you rarely have to worry about your mirrors. It’s actually the first car that I really cannot wait to get back into driving because as soon as I’m out of it, I’m missing it. The car is just absolutely amazing to drive. For me to get my head around how quickly it can go was the biggest thing really and once that started to fall into place, I felt I can relax and then we started going quickly. I think everybody involved has done a fantastic job.

Q: Being in the LMP1 Lola-Judd you’re looking forward for the traffic rather than looking back, does that take a lot of getting used to?

JC: I think it’s just a little less pressure really. In the GT2 car it’s not just a case of looking behind you to make sure you look after the P1 guys, it’s to make sure that you look after yourself as well and, collectively you work together to create a fast lap time for both of you. In the same sense you can use the P1 cars when you’re in a GT car to help you with traffic; in a P1 car you can use GT2 cars almost like a block if you are fighting with people. So it’s very much tactical from that point of view but I think having had experience in GT cars for the last few years, driving with both types around me all the time, I think it certainly is an advantage jumping into the other side, because you know what the GT2 drivers are thinking, you know where they are going to want you to pass and you know the best way to get past them cleanly, safely and not lose time.

Q: Do you think that not racing in single seaters is an advantage for you when it comes to LMP racing?

JC: I’d argue the other way really. I would say that having done no single seaters it’s probably more difficult for me to jump into something with downforce and be able to properly adjust to it. But saying that, it’s a race car and at the end of the day, it’s got four wheels and a steering wheel. There is a certain set of things that you do. Yes, it’s a different driving style and there are different priorities that you need to look for when you’re driving the car to get a fast lap time, but as long as you understand how to extract the time, then I don’t think it’s an issue.

Q: How do you enjoy working with the engineers? Is there a difference of working on the GT to working on an LMP like the Lola?

JC: With the GT car you are always tuning the dampers, the tire pressures and basically the dynamics of the car to use the car’s weight and weight transfer because you are obviously relying mainly on mechanical grip. With the Lola we find the base, we run it as low as you can get away with, which is what everyone does and tune it with little fine touches on aero, using maybe different packages front to rear. I think what’s really important with the Drayson Lola is that we have got a proper idea of what things do and you can quantify that with numbers, so when we make a change we know that’s what we are going to get, so we can turn up to a race meeting, having done the simulations, and be very much in the ball park. Then it’s starting to find a suitable set-up really, you need to arrive with a set up and tune it for the day and that’s what we did in Japan and it really worked.

Q: Part of the structure of Drayson Racing of course is the green initiatives that the team are involved with. Do you enjoy being involved in this kind of initiative?

JC: Yes, absolutely. I believe, as does Paul, that things do have to change in motorsport. We cannot continue in the way it has been going. Something has to change and the important thing is that people like Paul and people like the American Le Mans Series, the ACO and Lola want to make changes to set a precedent and make motorsport more sustainable. Being involved in a team which is passionate about being green, driving technology forward and pioneering new technologies is very stimulating. Outside of the actual racing my passion is very much engineering . I enjoy learning how things work and that’s something that I find really good fun as well, so I think it’s a perfect kind of balance between performance and green initiatives. I think that’s what Drayson Racing is all about.

Q: Finally, Johnny, I am not going to ask you about any predictions for 2010 but what are your aims for this season, especially the classic races like Sebring and Le Mans?

JC: Well, I think if we can repeat Japan throughout 2010 and have weekends like that, I see no reason why we are not going to put ourselves at the top of the map. We are going to have more experience, have more testing, we should have a better car and everybody collectively is going to be in a better position so I don’t see any reason why we can’t challenge the guys that are established and more experienced than ourselves. I think everybody loves an underdog , we kind of are at the minute, but I think that’s going to change very quickly.

Find more on Jonny Cocker at jonathancocker.com or draysonracing.com.

The American Le Mans Series will open its 12th season with America’s greatest sports car race, the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida from March 17-20. The green flag will fall at 10:35 a.m. on Saturday, March 20 with live coverage on SPEED. For ticket and accommodation information, see sebringraceway.com.

ATHERTON HEADLINES ALTERNATIVE FUELS PANEL

Scott Atherton will headline a discussion Saturday in Toronto on racing's role in developing alternative energies for race cars and road cars.

American Le Mans Series President and CEO Scott Atherton will headline a panel at the Canadian Motorsports Expo on Saturday in Toronto that will discuss the sport’s role in the development of practical and relevant fuels for race cars and road cars.

The American Le Mans Series, the Global Leader of Green Racing, already has proven itself as a pioneer in the area of alternative energies. Its rulebook allows and encourages the use of multiple fuels including E10, cellulosic E85, sulfur-free diesel and hybrid power. Participating teams and manufacturers use the Series’ platform to develop and test new automotive technologies that eventually will find their way to dealer showrooms around the globe.

Saturday’s discussion will begin at noon on The Canadian Tire Stage, where Atherton will be joined by several experts for talks on energy issues and motorsports-related solutions for the future.

The American Le Mans Series will make its annual visit to Mosport International Raceway, just outside Toronto, on August 27-29 for the Mobil 1 presents Grand Prix of Mosport.

The American Le Mans Series will open its 12th season with America’s greatest sports car race, the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida from March 17-20. The green flag will fall at 10:35 a.m. on Saturday, March 20 with live coverage on SPEED. For ticket and accommodation information, see sebringraceway.com.

Posted 01.28.10

BLACK SWAN RACING CONFIRMS PORSCHE ENTRY FOR 2010 GT CLASS
    Team owner Pappas teaming with Porsche ace Bleekemolen for full season

A Tim Pappas-owned Porsche - from Black Swan Racing - will return to the American Le Mans Series' grid in 2010.

Tim Pappas’ Black Swan Racing announced officially today that it is returning to the American Le Mans Series in 2010 with a full-season effort. The Harvard, Mass.-based squad will enter a Porsche 911 GT3 RSR in the GT class, perhaps the most competitive one in Series history.

Pappas-owned entries are no stranger to the American Le Mans Series. The first, coincidentally, was a Porsche in GT2 that competed under the banner of Team Trans Sport in 2007. The car’s best finish was fourth in class at Petit Le Mans with Pappas, Terry Borcheller and Marc Basseng driving. Black Swan hit the track in 2008 with a Falken-shod Doran-Ford GT that competed in the second half of the season.

“The 2010 American Le Mans Series GT class will showcase the best endurance racing in the world, and I am proud that Black Swan will be a part of it,” Pappas said. “The American Le Mans Series continues to do a fantastic job advancing its Green Racing initiatives, which is exactly in line with my business and the business of our partners. I am also very excited to be back with Porsche, the brand that I began my Series career with and most of my club racing.”

On the driver front, Black Swan has signed Porsche ace Jeroen Bleekemolen as Pappas’ full-time co-driver. Though he has made only one career start in the Series – eighth place in GT2 at Sebring in 2006 with Spyker – Bleekemolen has an impressive résumé. The Dutchman won the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans in LMP2 – with a Porsche RS Spyder - and was crowned Porsche Supercup Champion in 2008 and 2009. Bleekemolen comes from a family of racers, his father Michael a past Formula 1 driver, raised Jeroen and his brother Sebastian on a strict diet of karting. The team will announce its third driver for Sebring, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and Petit Le Mans in the near future.

Tim Pappas: "The 2010 American Le Mans Series GT class will showcase the best endurance racing in the world, and I am proud that Black Swan will be a part of it."

Black Swan has teamed with Dunlop Motorsport for tires and plans to help develop a Dunlop tire for the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR that is suited to the rigors of U.S. racing circuits, which can be more trying than European venues. More on the team’s Dunlop partnership and Black Swan’s corporate partners will be released at the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida, the first round of the American Le Mans Series.

Green and environmental issues are at the core of Pappas’ business practices, and that philosophy will fit in well with the Series’ platform of advancing energy efficient technologies and developments in production automobiles through motorsports. His firm is committed to be at the forefront of the green building movement with multiple construction developments in the Boston area. Most notable is the Macallen Building Condominiums, a 140-unit complex in south Boston developed by Pappas, which received the American Institute of Architects Committee on The Environment Award (“COTE” Top Ten Award) and a Gold Certification from the United States Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system (LEED).

“We are pleased to say ‘Welcome Back’ to Tim Pappas and Black Swan Racing,” said Scott Atherton, President and CEO of the American Le Mans Series. “From our conversations with Tim it is clear that he has put together the equipment and personnel to tackle what is without question the most competitive and diverse class we have ever seen in the American Le Mans Series. Plus, Tim’s background and award-winning involvement with environmental initiatives make him and his team an ideal match for the Series. As we go forward as the Global Leader of Green Racing, Tim’s work both on and off the track will make him - as well as the entire Black Swan Racing team - key players in the American Le Mans Series paddock.”

Black Swan will test its new Porsche for the first time in early February at Palm Beach International Raceway and will take part in the annual Winter Test at Sebring later in the month.

Posted 01.28.10 LMPC DELIVERIES ARE PROGRESSING FOR 2010

Primetime FLM09 bound for team shop, Genoa entry flying from Paris
    Primetime Race Group's ORECA FLM09 is now in the team's hands following its arrival to Panoz Motor Sports Group headquarters in Braselton, Ga.

Also, Genoa Racing's FLM09 is awaiting flight from Paris to Atlanta, with the team expecting to take delivery the middle of next week.

Posted 02.04.10 Share |

JAGUAR MAKES RETURN TO ICONIC LE MANS
    The year 2010 marks 75 years of the Jaguar name on both road and race cars. As a continuation of this great heritage, Jaguar can confirm it will return to the famed Le Mans 24 hours. With a total of seven wins at Le Mans 24 hours between 1951 and 1990, Jaguar is the single most successful British make in the race's history. Jaguar will return to its favourite hunting ground and will line up on the starting grid on 12th June 2010 with an XKR GT2 run by JaguarRSR.

Paul Gentilozzi, Principal Partner, JaguarRSR commented: "We are delighted the ACO has granted us entry in the prestigious 24 hours of Le Mans. It is a race that is held dearly in the hearts of motorsport fans across the world and for Jaguar to be racing again is something special.

"We are fortunate to bring an international line up of the world's finest driving talent including Scott Pruett and Marc Goossens as our pilots for this race."

Gentilozzi, who is also set to drive the JaguarRSR XKR GT2 in the 2010 American Le Mans Series (ALMS) added, "Spirits will be high around Jaguar's return to Le Mans but we must remember the incredibly high level of competition - a podium place will not fall into our hands. That said, I can guarantee 100 per cent commitment from JaguarRSR and urge fans of Jaguar and Britain's racing heritage to support the team whole heartedly."

C.J. O'Donnell, Global Marketing Director of Jaguar Cars said: "Motorsport has always been important to the Jaguar brand. Our domination of Le Mans in the 1950s was a foundation on which the company was developed. It was twenty years ago that Jaguar last won Le Mans with a TWR Jaguar Sport entry driven by John Nielsen, Price Cobb, Martin Brundle. Returning to Le Mans will reignite excitement for the marque across the globe, all the more poignant in our 75th year."

"With the introduction of the new XK, XF and XJ, the Jaguar brand has advanced cutting-edge technology, stunning design and our 'R' performance driving experience. We now return to motorsport to demonstrate this achievement and the prowess of the Jaguar XKR."

In 1951, the C-type won Le Mans at its first attempt, with a further victory in 1953. The D-type took Le Mans wins in 1955, 1956 and 1957 while this racing success was followed in 1988 with the Jaguar XJR-9LM, a V12-powered Group C car. Another outright victory would follow in 1990 with the Jaguar XJR-12.

Great articles for sure...Cant wait to see Risi back.

Any news if the Nissan GT-R will be showing up this year? I read that someone was preparing 1.

Hey Rob, found the GT-R info in the Lemans thread....Thanks for posting the great articles and pix.

Posted 02.04.10

SEBRING ADVANCE TICKET DISCOUNT DEADLINE IS FEB. 15

Tickets to the 58th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida are available at advance purchase discounts until Feb. 15th.

America's greatest sports car endurance race takes the green flag at 10:30 am ET on Saturday, March 20th, kicking off the 2010 American Le Mans Series. Gates open at 6 am on March 17th, and remain open 24 hours a day through Saturday.

In addition to the popular four-day and Saturday only Supertickets, Sebring International Raceway has introduced a two-day ticket (Friday/Saturday) for race fans unable to attend all four days but want to catch Friday's supporting events and the big endurance classic on Saturday.

All Supertickets purchased by Feb. 15th result in a $10 savings per ticket. After that date, gate prices apply.

Sebring International Raceway is America's oldest road racing circuit. The legendary 3.7-mile circuit offers a wide variety of camping, viewing and hospitality options. For more information call 800-626-7223 or visit sebringraceway.com.

Posted 02.05.10
    ALEX JOB MAKING AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES RETURN IN 2010

Two Cars in new GTC class at Sebring with strong driver lineup

Alex Job: "In the time that we were in the series we were very successful with the Porsche factory, as well as on our own."

Alex Job Racing, one of the most successful teams in American Le Mans Series history, announced Friday that it will make a return to full-time Series competition for the 2010 season as part of the new GT Challenge class with a two-car entry.

The Tavaras, Fla.,-based team will rejoin the championship starting at the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida, a race AJR won six times – including five in GT between 1999 and 2004.

“We are looking forward to returning to the American Le Mans Series and running the full schedule,” said team owner Alex Job. “In the time that we were in the series we were very successful with the Porsche factory, as well as on our own.”

In the team’s first GTC entry for 2010, the No. 23 Battery Tender/Patrón/Alex Job Racing/Porsche 911 GT3 Cup entry will be driven by Bill Sweedler (New York, NY) and Romeo Kapudija (Chicago, Ill.). Sweedler has a lot of laps behind the wheel of the 911 with an eighth place championship finish in the Patrón GT3 Challenge by Yokohama last season. He also made four American Le Mans Series starts in the 2009 GT Challenge class with a runner-up finish at Lime Rock Park and two other podium finishes. Kapudija's racing résumé includes four Series starts with a pair of seventh-place GT finishes in 2003.

In the No. 81 Mission Foods/Alex Job Racing/Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car will be Juan Gonzalez (Irving, Texas) and Butch Leitzinger (Rebersburg, Pa.). Gonzalez is a veteran Porsche road racer. Leitzinger is a household name among sports car fans with seven prototype victories and 83 starts in the American Le Mans Series to his credit.

Bill Sweedler and Romeo Kapudija will drive one AJR Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car for AJR with Juan Gonzalez and Series star Butch Leitzinger in the other.

“We have assembled two strong cars and four great drivers to run for the GTC championship,” Job continued. “We will be introducing three new sponsors along with our program for 2010. Battery Tender will be featured along with Tequila Patrón and Mission Foods. We have taken delivery of two brand new 911 GT3 Cup cars and have signed four fast drivers to run for the GTC championship. We will be announcing the third drivers for Sebring in the coming weeks.”

AJR has amassed a total of 37 class victories with 45 pole positions and 75 podium finishes. The team also won three GT class championships with drivers such as Jörg Bergmeister, Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas, Marc Lieb, Lucas Luhr, Sascha Maassen, Dirk Müller and many of Porsche’s other top sports car drivers. AJR also has won in class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans twice.

The GTC category is specific to one of the most popular factory-produced racing cars in the world, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup. Developed for Porsche’s one-make series around the world, the new version of the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup is based on the road going 911 GT3 RS. The power unit featured in the new 911 GT3 Cup is largely identical to the production engine of the 911 GT3 RS with the same output of 450 bhp and the same maximum engine speed of 8,500 rpm. The GTC Porsche racers will run on spec Yokohama tires.

“GTC is sure to be the most competitive class on the track all year,” Job said. “The cars are identical and that leaves it to the driver and the team to be the difference. I am looking forward to kicking off the season at Sebring. It has been since 2006 when we last competed in the 12 Hours. We are really looking forward to the third weekend in March.”

PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports join ALMS in LMPC
    Team Update ⋅ February 8, 2010

PR1 Motorsports and Mathiasen Motorsports are proud to announce that they have joined forces and will be campaigning a brand-new Oreca-Courage FLM09 in the 2010 American Le Mans Series LMPC class.

Formed from two former Formula Atlantic Championship top-tier competitors, the team will be known as PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports and will take possession of the car in early March. The team will promptly began preparing the car in anticipation of a full 2010 season.

PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports season-long driver lineup for their new LMPC program is being finalized. However, Jonathan Bomarito has been named as the team’s third driver for the longer endurance races on the schedule. Bomarito has extensive ties to the team having competed with the organization since his days in karting over a decade ago.

The new LMPC class features the Oreca-Courage FLM09 chassis mated to a V8 engine with an Xtrac six-speed-sequential gearbox. All LMPC cars will have Michelin tires and will race alongside the established LMP, GT2, and GTC classes in the nine race ALMS series.

Bobby Oergel, co-owner of PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports, is excited to be expanding his team’s sports car program and to be working with Bomarito again. Oergel will be partnering with Mathiasen Motorsports for the first time with this endeavor.

“Being from California, our team sponsors are very interested in the West Coast events,” Oergel said. “We always enjoyed Long Beach and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, so it’ll be great to race there in the prototype. We’re still working on the final touches but I can tell you this much, we’re all thrilled to be working with Jonathan and Ray Mathiasen. Ray knows how to run a top-tier team, and Jonathan is a real professional in and out of the car. He always runs up front, and we know he’ll be a great addition to our endurance racing efforts.”

The new Oreca-Courage FLM09 will be fresh from the factory when the team takes ownership early next month.

“When we looked at our options, we decided to buy new rather than used,” Oergel explained. “The cars that ran seven races in Europe are perfectly fine, we just wanted to build our program up 100% from the start. Everyone here is really looking forward to getting the car in the shop. It’s fast, great for racing, and can easily be incorporated into our driver development programs.”

Ray Mathiasen, Oergel’s business partner and co-owner of PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports, is eager to get back into racing after a one year hiatus.

“I decided to suspend our racing activities in 2009 after a very successful 2008 season,” Mathiasen said. “In the 2008 Formula Atlantic Championship, with Jonathan Bomarito, we came so close to winning the championship. I’ve spent the last 10 months considering several possible directions for my team. I decided that the right course was to affiliate with another well established racing team that had a strong driver development program, and that the new LMPC car would be the ideal choice for our future racing activities.”

“I am very pleased to have the opportunity to join forces with PR1 Motorsports,” Mathiasen continued. “We’ve enjoyed competing against Bobby Oergel and are now looking forward to competing with him in this new sports car racing venture. I am closing down our race shop in Brownsburg, Indiana and will be consolidating our equipment at PR1’s shop in Fresno. Although my role in the racing operations will be more passive than it has been in prior years, I remain just as committed to winning a championship in this new series as we have been in our past activities. The car will run at some my favorite venues and this should be fun for everyone involved.”

The 2010 American Le Mans Series begins at the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida on March 17-20, 2010.

Posted 02.08.10
    JAGUAR NAMED OFFICIAL CAR OF SEBRING
    Track’s pit structure also renamed ‘Jaguar Tower’

Sebring International Raceway named Jaguar the Official Car of the historic track.

Jaguar has been named the Official Car of Sebring International Raceway, home of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida. The 58th edition of America’s premier endurance race runs on Saturday, March 20th, kicking-off the 2010 American Le Mans Series season.

A legend of motorsports, Jaguar has a long and successful history in sports car racing. Jaguar first won Le Mans in 1951 with the debut of the C-TYPE, and captured four more wins during the 1950s as well as in 1988 and 1990 at the famous French endurance classic. Jaguar scored its first major victory in North America by winning the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1955.

“Two of the most storied names in motor racing have joined together to form an ideal marketing partnership,” stated Sebring Raceway President and General Manager Tres Stephenson. “We look forward to working with Jaguar to forge a solid long-term relationship.”

“Jaguar is excited to enter the very competitive American Le Mans Series and return to Sebring, where we have a great history,” added Richard Beattie, Jaguar North American Executive Vice President for Marketing and Sales. “With a competition record in the U.S. reaching back to 1938, it is important that we compete at the highest levels of motorsport.”

JaguarRSR will make its Sebring debut with its Jaguar XKRS in the American Le Mans Series' highly competitive GT class.

As part of the agreement, the circuit’s Pit Tower has been named the “Jaguar Tower,” honoring the marque’s heritage at Sebring. During the 1950s and ’60s, the race control tower of the circuit’s original pit structure was also named the “Jaguar Tower.”

“We are pleased to bring back this legendary landmark,” added Stephenson. “The Jaguar name adds even more prestige and tradition to our historic facility.”

The new RSR Jaguar XKR GT will make its Sebring debut in March. The car took its first green flag last October in the American Le Mans Series finale at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and is set for a full-season championship effort in 2010. Paul Gentilozzi, Principal Partner of JaguarRSR, has a stellar record at Sebring including a class victory in 1992 and the overall pole position in 1994.

It also has been invited to compete at this year’s running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in GT2.

Mike O’Driscoll, Managing Director of Jaguar Cars said: “Our designers and engineers have taken the best of our standard road-going XKR. With Paul Gentilozzi’s motorsport expertise, we've created a first-class competition car.

“Motorsport has always been important to the Jaguar brand,” he added. “Our domination of Le Mans in the 1950s was a foundation on which the company was developed. As we look to the future with our new range of high-performance ‘R’ branded cars, we aim to make the Jaguar brand synonymous with motorsports once again.”

Sebring is America’s oldest road racing circuit, established in 1950. Since 1952, Sebring’s 12-hour classic has attracted the world’s best sports car racing teams.

SEBRING UNVEILS 2010 EVENT POSTER
    Drayson Racing, Patrón Highcroft, JaguarRSR lead charge to Turn 10

Sebring International Raceway has unveiled the poster for the 58th running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida. America’s greatest sports car race runs on Saturday, March 20th, kicking-off the 2010 American Le Mans Series season.

Painted by motorsports artist Roger Warrick, the poster features three of the leading teams competing in this year’s American Le Mans Series entering Cunningham Corner (Turn 10): The Drayson Racing Lola, Patrón Highcroft Racing Honda Performance Development ARX-01c and the new JaguarRSR Jaguar XKR GT. Sebring posters have been produced since the first Sebring 12-hour classic in 1952, and many have become valuable collectibles.

Tickets to the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida are available by calling 800-626-7223 or visiting Sebringraceway.com. Gates open at 6 am on Wednesday, March 17, and remain open 24 hours a day through Saturday. The green flag will fall at 10:30 a.m. ET on Saturday, March 20 with live coverage on SPEED.

The annual American Le Mans Series Winter Test is scheduled for February 22-23, also at Sebring International Raceway. Tickets are $10 per day with no overnight camping or public paddock access allowed.