Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BTCC news.

BTCC news.

BTCC » Aon considering LPG switch

Team Aon could move to LPG power for the 2010 BTCC season if test in Spain proves to be a success
    Team Aon has confirmed that it is evaluating the possibility of switching to LPG power for the 2010 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

The Arena-run outfit will test its Ford Focus at the Guadix circuit in Spain early next month with the latest specification Ford Duratec petrol engine, but will also try out LPG ahead of a possible switch for the year ahead.

“We've considered an alternative fuel source and are currently evaluating a switch to LPG to see if there are possibilities for us,” team boss Mike Earle said. “Given the increasing awareness of environmental issues, which motorsport in general needs to address, and the commercial opportunities that may exist, it makes sense for us to investigate the possibilities. It's certainly something we would be interested in.”

The team suffered a range of engine related issues early on in 2009 before a switch of engine builder saw a notable upturn in performance as the year wore on.

With the team continuing to work hard on developing the car, Earle added that he was confident of fighting for victories when the 2010 campaign gets underway.

“We're making improvements all the time to all areas of the car,” he said. “Although we were competitive by the end of last season, Tom Chilton took pole position and very nearly got our first win at Brands Hatch, that was against cars carrying ballast which we didn't have to. So we know there is more needed. The development continued at the end of the season and the new parts we were able to test before Christmas gave us some gains and there's definitely more to come.

“Our aim is to start this season where we finished the last one – competing for race wins and if we can achieve that consistently, then the championship becomes a possibility.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

BTCC » Pirtek Racing shows off livery

Pirtek Racing debuts livery of Andrew Jordan's Vauxhall Vectra at Autosport International Show.
    Newcomer to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship, Pirtek Racing debuted its livery today at the NEC in Birmingham as part of the Autosport International show.

The team, which will be spearheaded by former BTCC racer and British GT champion Mike Jordan and will see son Andrew Jordan as driver, unveiled their eye-catching Vauxhall Vectra racer at the show ahead of their single car assault on the BTCC in 2010.

The car predominately wears the striking red, yellow and blue corporate colours of Pirtek and is sure to attract a large amount of attention whilst on display at the NEC this week.

“If the car goes as well as it looks then I think we are in for a strong year. We know it won't be easy this season but we are in a good position, we have the car prepared, the team in place and all working well together,” said Andrew. “Seeing the Vectra in the flesh gets me excited for the forthcoming season, it should look great on track and I can't wait to get out there and go testing.

“I really think we will have our best BTCC season yet, I will draw on the experience I have gained over the last two years and really push for race wins. You need luck on your side too, last year there were times when things didn't go my way, but this year I am so focused and even more determined to succeed for Pirtek Racing.”

“We are thrilled with how the car looks,” added Alistair Wiggins, Business Development Director at Pirtek UK. “To have our own team and our own car, in the BTCC running under the Pirtek Racing banner is fantastic for us, the high speed nature of Pirtek's rapid response hose replacement service fits well with the image of the BTCC.

“We are all eagerly anticipating the forthcoming year and hope we will see the Pirtek car challenging at the front of the grid.”

Jordan's Vectra will be on display in Hall 20 over the next three days of the Autosport International show.

The car also features the branding of several other key commercial partners for the 2010 season - namely CBT, John Guest, Pembroke Syndicate 4000, Hillwood Auto's, Bill Gwynne Rally School, Warwickshireand Northamptonshire Air Ambulance and Fit 2 Race.

If Motorsport eyes BTCC Punto entry

Friday, January 15th 2010, 15:43 GMT

If Motorsport is aiming to enter the British Touring Car Championship this year with a two-car team.

The Scottish-based outfit is likely to run a pair of Abarth Grande Puntos built to the BTCC's new low-cost NGTC rules package, and powered by the turbocharged TOCA petrol engine.

"The Abarth is the most likely car that we'll run, but we are still talking to two other manufacturers," team boss Bryce Wilson told AUTOSPORT.

"Obviously we know time's against us, and I think it's unlikely that we'll be ready for the start of the season. But I'm sure that with some decent testing in the bag, then we can be competitive once we do get on track."

No drivers have yet been signed for the project. Wilson, a former Renault Spider Cup champion and Nissan BTCC test driver, will carry out much of the development work himself.

Wilson said that the BTCC's NGTC rules package, which is due to come into force in 2011, was influential in his decision to expand his team's programme from sportscars-only to include tin-tops.

"It obviously makes our chances of not only getting there, but also of being competitive, far higher," he added. "We're a professional team and I think that we can do a good job, but we need to expand the team and set our budget first so we know what we're aiming for."

If Motorsport was established in 2005 and has spent most of its life competing in sportscar championships. The squad has been a regular winner in the UK and European VdeV series and took the teams' title in the UK series in '08

Plato still hunting for BTCC budget

Friday, January 15th 2010, 16:24 GMT

Jason Plato is keen to return to the British Touring Car Championship this year - but admits that the budget is not yet in place to allow him to do so.

The 2001 title-winner secured a deal with the RML-run Racing Silverline Chevrolet squad on the eve of the 2009 season-opener and went on to finish second in the standings - just five points behind champion Colin Turkington.

When asked on stage at AUTOSPORT International if he would be back in the BTCC in 2010, Plato replied: "I hope so. I genuinely believe the BTCC is a fantastic championship and I love being part of it.

"If I can pull together a deal to make it happen, I'd like to think chances of staying where I am now are very high. Nevertheless, the cold hard facts are that the right numbers need to be in right boxes.

"2009 was probably one of most enjoyable and rewarding seasons I've ever done. We were underdogs, there was no manufacturer pressure."

Plato admitted that the team had to be realistic about its financial situation.

"I love to go racing, but I've got bills to pay the same as anyone else," he said. "The team has to operate on a proper budget, we made it happen this year but we can't always do it like that. It has to make sense. It's tough to make the numbers add up, but we'll always try."

15/Jan/2010 Son looking to dad's influence

Andrew Jordan believes his father Mike’s calming influence can help him mature into a more rounded performer in 2010’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

While at the wheel of his Pirtek Racing team’s Vauxhall Vectra, the 20-year-old will spend the season being guided by his dad over the pit-to-car radio – a similar scenario to that which led to him achieving the first BTCC podium of his career in 2008.

That year they were team-mates in family team Eurotech’s pair of Honda Integras, with Jordan Snr taking up the role of team manager on Oulton Park’s pit wall after being sidelined earlier in the day.

Andrew told btcc.net: “I can be a bit hot-headed at times but he’s going to be there to keep me calm. I’ll feel very comfortable with dad being there on the other end of the radio full-time.

“In 2008 I probably exceeded expectations whereas last year was below expectations, but I don’t necessarily think that has been a bad thing – I’ve learnt some important lessons from that.”

Jordan Snr, meanwhile, has enjoyed numerous successes on-track as a driver these past three decades in top-line saloon and sportscar categories – indeed, in 2006 aged 48, he became the oldest driver on record to win a BTCC race!

Mike, who has liveried-up by hand the Pirtek Vectra unveiled yesterday (see separate story), added: “I think a lot of racing dads because they haven’t raced before can have a negative impact on their kids. I hope that’s where I’m different. I’m certainly not going to be screaming at Andrew from over the pit wall or from the side of the pitch as it were.

“Quite the opposite: Adam Hardy, Andrew’s race engineer at VXR is coming over to us and will have total control over the car. It’ll be my job to keep Andrew calm over the radio when he’s starting out on a qualifying lap or in certain race situations.”

Snr also firmly believes that sticking with the Vectra is a wise choice. The car will be engineered behind the scenes by Eurotech (just like the Integras in 2008) but notably will be powered by the BTCC’s new turbocharged NGTC engine which has helped the team keep within budget.

He said: “Firstly, we’re only going to have five people working on the car at races but, as we’ve seen in Formula1, a lean operation can often achieve better results. We are all very motivated.

“We seriously looked at going the BMW route but, apart from additional budget which we don’t have, there would have been an unreasonable pressure on us to get up to WSR’s or Motorbase’s levels of performance. The Vectra is a known quantity, plus we have Adam with us. We know it’s still a very strong car and if it can keep us at the same levels as the Chevrolets or the Dynamics Hondas then we’d be very happy with that.

“We know as well with Swindon doing the NGTC engine it’s going to be a good engine. It’s also the future so why not get started now and of course it has massively cut our engine budget for this season. Sure there might be the odd issue at the first few rounds - you'd have to expect that with any major new component - but come mid-season if we’re able to start challenging for or achieving the odd podium result then we’ll be very happy.”

15/Jan/201 Swindon appoints ex-VXR man

Former VX Racing engine chief Raphael Caille has become Managing Director of Swindon Racing Engines – appointed recently by the British Touring Car Championship to design and build the new TOCA-NGTC engine.

Frenchman Caille spent the past decade in charge of engine development with the VXR team – in that time it won 20 titles (drivers, teams, manufacturers) with its Vauxhall Astra and Vectra racers.

He takes over as MD at Swindon from company owner Gary Dunn. Swindon will be responsible for the BTCC's new highly cost-effective TOCA-branded NGTC engine that is now available for teams to use on a lease basis. This turbocharged unit will effectively halve teams' engine budgets.

The newly-formed Pirtek Racing and Pinkney Motorsport teams have already announced they will use the engine in their Super 2000-spec Vauxhall Vectras in 2010, with some other teams also planning to use the engine this year.

The engine will be used on a much wider scale in 2011 when full-spec NGTC cars begin to appear in the championship.

Caille commented: “It is an honour to take over the wheel of such a well respected name in the engine business and I am excited about the challenge ahead.

“Our recent new business wins to develop and build the TOCA engine for the new BTCC regulations, as well as a new V6 GT race engine for a British car manufacturer, prove what a strong base we have, with plenty of potential in the future.”

14/Jan/2010 WSR confirms new sponsors

WSR today confirmed two new team sponsors on its BMW to compliment RAC during the defence of its Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

High efficiency plasma lighting company Alvara and the UK’s leading online automotive marketplace eBay Motors’ names were both present on one of the outfit’s cars which appeared in interim livery on the central Autosport stage.

Former team title sponsor RAC yesterday confirmed it will continue to back WSR in 2010 in a co-sponsor capacity.

Team principal Bennetts confirmed the outfit is looking forward to challenging for a second outright BTCC Drivers’ title after Colin Turkington lifted the crown in 2009. WSR also achieved third straight Independent drivers and teams’ trophies with Turkington’s team-mate Stephen Jelley providing invaluable back-up on the track.

Bennetts commented: “We are obviously intending to defend our titles in the BTCC again this year. However, we’re also keeping our options open with regard to the World Touring Car Championship and the new format European Touring Car Cup. We’ve got three BMW 320sis and we proved in 2009 that we have the resources to run all three cars to the same competitive level.

“As it stands, a golden opportunity exists for a company to take up title sponsorship of the most successful non-works BMW team in Europe.

“We’d very much like to retain Colin and Stephen; however we are talking to a number of other drivers for the third seat. We’re not just looking at drivers from ‘tin tops’ either, as Stephen has proved that you don’t have to have this background to be a competitive touring car driver.”

Herbert makes it 18
    Johnny Herbert is an exciting late addition to the superb line-up of British Touring Car Championship drivers on series title sponsor Dunlop’s huge stand at this weekend’s Autosport International show.

Former F1 star Herbert is scheduled to appear before fans alongside Matt Neal and Jason Plato at midday on Sunday and is sure to be a real draw for the crowds.

He is the 18th driver to have contested 2009's BTCC season to confirm his appearance on the Dunlop stand. Herbert raced in the final three rounds of last year's BTCC in a Team Dynamics Honda Civic, memorably bashing panels with Fabrizio Giovanardi's Vauxhall Vectra on his way to a best result of seventh place.

Reigning champion Colin Turkington and former title-winners Matt Neal and Jason Plato are also on the star-studded list of BTCC drivers appearing during the four-day event.

Dunlop driver schedule revealed
    Some 17 British Touring Car Championship drivers are scheduled to appear on series title sponsor Dunlop’s stand at this weekend’s Autosport International show…

Champion Colin Turkington, runner-up Jason Plato as well as fourth and fifth-placed finishers Matt Neal and Mat Jackson are all pencilled in for slots at some stage during the four-day event at Birmingham’s NEC (Thurs 14-Sun 17 Jan).

Media, motor sport industry colleagues and fans will all get an opportunity to hear the thoughts of the stars from Britain’s best-loved motor racing championship.

Indeed, on the Saturday and Sunday – when the show is fully open to the public – drivers will also be available after their interviews on the Dunlop stand for a quick chat and to sign autographs.

STOP PRESS: Andrew Jordan's 2010 Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra will now also appear on the main Dunlop stand alongside Colin Turkington 2009 title-winning BMW and Jason Plato's Chevrolet Lacetti and not in the NEC's atrium as previously planned.

Provisional timings for BTCC drivers on Dunlop’s stand are:

Thursday
    11.00am Andrew Jordan (after unveiling of his turbocharged Pirtek Vauxhall)
    11.00am Mike Jordan (Pirtek Racing team manager)

2.00pm Colin Turkington (reigning BTCC Champion)

3.00pm Mat Jackson (runner-up in 2008, 5th in 2009)

Friday
    11.00am David Bartrum (Motorbase team principal)
    11.00am Robert Collard(race-winner in 2009 for Motorbase)
    11.00am Jonathan Adam (Collard’s 2009 team-mate)

12.00pm Jason Plato (2001 Champion, 2009 runner-up)
    12.00pm Matt Neal (2005 & 06 Champion, 4th in 2009
    12.00pm Mat Jackson

1.00pm Stephen Jelley (two race wins in 2009)
    1.00pm Gordon Shedden (ten-times BTCC race-winner)
    1.00pm Tom Onslow-Cole (two-times BTCC race-winner)
    1.00pm Andrew Jordan

1.30pm Paul O’Neill (fans favourite in sunshine.co.uk Honda)
    1.30pm Chris Brown (sunshine.co.uk team principal)

3.00pm Harry Vaulkhard (rapid up-and-coming star)
    3.00pm Matt Hamilton (youngest driver to compete in 2009)

Saturday
    11.00am Robert Collard
    11.00am Stephen Jelley

12.00pm Mat Jackson
    12.00pm Harry Vaulkhard

1.00pm Adam Jones (highly-rated front-runner)
    1.00pm Gordon Shedden
    1.00pm Matt Hamilton

2.00pm Martin Johnson (popular minnow with new Boulevard team)
    2.00pm Cliff Johnson (Boulevard Team Racing team principal)
    2.00pm James Nash (rapid, highly-rated newcomer in 2009)

3.00pm Andrew Jordan
    3.00pm Mat Jackson
    3.00pm Robert Collard

Sunday
    11.00am Colin Turkington

12.00pm Matt Neal
    12.00pm Jason Plato (TBC due to live action arena timings)

1.00pm Andrew Jordan
    1.00pm Mike Jordan

2.00pm Adam Jones
    2.00pm James Nash
    2.00pm Martin Johnson
    2.00pm Cliff Johnson

3.00pm Colin Turkington
    3.00pm Stephen Jelley

RAC to co-sponsor WSR
    RAC has today announced a new sponsorship agreement with West Surrey Racing ahead of the BMW squad’s defence of its Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship crown in 2010.

The famous motoring organisation will support Bennett’s outfit in a co-sponsor capacity after four years of being its title sponsor.

Indeed, under the Team RAC banner which it was known as from 2006-09, WSR achieved three consecutive Independent teams and drivers titles with Colin Turkington, the Northern Irishman also clinching the outright BTCC crown last syear in a thrilling season finale.

RAC sponsorship and PR consultant Kerry Gazzard commented: “Our relationship with WSR has been extremely successful both commercially and on-track for the past four seasons and to win the title last season was a fitting climax to our title sponsorship.

“We are excited about continuing our association with WSR for 2010 and helping it to retain the Independent teams title for an unprecedented fourth successive year.”

Giovanardi still hasn't got a drive yet either i think. Hopefully the two will be back this season though. Late deals tend to come through - usually

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Giovanardi still hasn't got a drive yet either i think. Hopefully the two will be back this season though. Late deals tend to come through - usually
    He hasnt yet, he was hoping WTCC but Chevy signed up Muller, did read some where he may take sabbatical, hope he returns to BTCC

Yeah hope Gio is back, will be going to Knockhill again, and fancy going to a race down south too
    Forza Ferrari

will be at Thruxton and Silverstone if i can get the time off work for the two if not pull a sickday for one but will make one lol

Be going to Snetterton for sure, as only 30-40 mins away from mine whoop!!! and think go to Brands aswell, have to check the date on that.

Round/ Circuit/ Date/
    1 Thruxton 04/Apr/2010
    2 Rockingham 25/Apr/2010
    3 Brands Hatch GP 02/May/2010
    4 Oulton Park 06/Jun/2010
    5 Croft 20/Jun/2010
    6 Snetterton 08/Aug/2010
    7 Silverstone 22/Aug/2010
    8 Knockhill 05/Sep/2010
    9 Donington Park 19/Sep/2010
    10 Brands Hatch 10/Oct/2010

Future Plans for the BTCCAlready the BTCC has its future path mapped out – and that’s music to the ears not just of those currently competing in the championship but also new manufacturers and teams evaluating entries.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow announced that from 2007 onwards the championship would be fought out by cars complying to the FIA’s Super 2000 regulations as used in the World Touring Car Championship. The move was a masterstroke as grids instantly rose to levels not seen since the early 1990s (entries regularly hit the 25-mark).

Gow explains: “This was the obvious way forward for the BTCC as most touring car championships throughout Europe also run to S2000 regulations, as of course does the WTCC.

“Manufacturers now have one set of technical regulations to follow when deciding to compete, making it much simpler for them to enter the championship. It was the most logical decision for the BTCC.

“Additionally, in order to ensure that the cars are relevant to the UK car market, any ‘new-build’ car entered will also have to be based on a model which is readily available from authorised dealer networks across Europe.”

In 2007, the BTCC grid was populated by nine different models of S2000-spec cars representing six different manufacturers (Alfa Romeo 156, BMW 320si, BMW 320i, BMW 120d, Honda Civic, Lexus IS200, SEAT Leon, SEAT Toledo and Vauxhall Vectra.

Now, after a 30-year absence, the Chevrolet name is also set to return to the grid with the company's Lacetti model being entered in privateer hands.

However, most notably, SEAT will become the first manufacturer to use diesel engines in the BTCC in 2008 after the technology was successfully introduced as part of its WTCC campaign in 2007.

While S2000 machinery now accounts for most of the grid, some teams have continued to campaign the older BTC-spec cars such as Honda Integra, Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch and MG ZS. Thanks to arguably the best set of touring car technical regulations in the world, they remain competitive and are able to challenge for the outright Teams title as well as Independent honours although the cars are expected to disappear in the coming years as part of a natural phasing out process.

While the BTCC may now have switched to the same technical regulations as all other major touring car championships, its sporting regulations remain almost unique in ensuring that the grid race three times on race day. The ‘triple-header’ format means that each race is a spectacular flat-out sprint from beginning to end. Just to add to the unpredictability, race three’s starting grid is the finishing order of race two... only with the leading positions reversed. Needless to say, the crowds go home with plenty to talk about and eager for the next round.

Also as part of its sporting regulations, the BTCC actively safeguards those teams committed to the championship by penalising the cars of late entries or ‘bit players’ with additional weight for several meetings.

Furthermore, a multi-year title sponsorship agreement with fast fit service HiQ and the fact that its sister company Dunlop (also part of the Goodyear-Dunlop group) is the exclusive tyre supplier means even greater stability for the BTCC and its contestants.

In 2009, the BTCC will also achieve a world first when it becomes the first motor racing championship in history to impose engine emissions limits, driving them down to those of competing cars' showroom counterparts. The pioneering move will only add to the BTCC's considerable green credentials after it previously became one of the first championships in the world to mandate the use of catalytic converters in the early 1990s and, more recently, opened the door for cars running on cleaner fuels such as bio-ethanol...

2010 Race Date/
    Timetable/
    3-4 April

Details/
    Thruxton Circuit
    Thruxton, Andover, Hampshire SP11 8PN
    Tel: 01264 882200
    Ticket hotline: 01264 882200
    Advance race day prices: Thruxton to confirm

TV Timetable: Awaiting details Length/2.36 miles
    Number of laps/
    Distance/

Lap Records/
    Qualifying: Yvan Muller (FRA), Vauxhall Astra Coupe, 1m16.369s (111.06mph) on 5 May 2002
    Race: Yvan Muller (FRA), Vauxhall Astra Coupe, 1m17.303s (109.72mph) on 6 May 2002

2009 Winners/
    Race 1: Fabrizio Giovanardi
    Race 2: Colin Turkington
    Race 3: Mat Jackson

Past Winners (since Super Touring era - 1991)/
    7: Yvan Muller (2000 x2, 2001, 2002, 2003 x2, 2004)
    5: Fabrizio Giovanardi (2007 x4, 2009)
    3: Colin Turkington (2006, 2008, 2009), David Leslie (1993, 1996, 1999), Alain Menu (1995, 1998 x2), James Thompson (1995, 2002, 2004), Frank Biela (1996, 1997 x2), Laurent Aiello (1999 x3), Dan Eaves (2005 x3)
    2: Jason Plato (2001, 2004), Mat Jackson (2007, 2009), John Cleland (1991, 1992), Gabriele Tarquini (1994, 1997), Rickard Rydell (1996, 1998)
    1: Joachim Winkelhock (1996), John Bintcliffe (1997), Anthony Reid (1998), Gordon Shedden (2006), Matt Neal (2006)

Number of wins per manufacturer (since Super Touring era - 1991)/
    19: Vauxhall
    7: Honda
    5: Nissan
    4: BMW, Audi
    3: Renault
    2: Volvo
    1: Alfa Romeo, SEAT, MG

Memories (since Super Touring era - 1991)/
    2006 Darren Turner finishes on the podium in third on his BTCC debut with SEAT.
    2005 Dan Eaves makes history by becoming the first driver to win all three races in a day.
    2004 The new season dawns with two key regulation changes – there are three races on race day and race three’s starting grid is decided by race two’s finishing order, but with the top ten positions reversed. Jason Plato, the 2001 champion, returns to championship with newcomer SEAT and gives it a dream debut by winning one of the races.
    1996 Frank Biela (Audi) suffers a sizeable qualifying shunt, but bounces back on race day to become Champion with two meetings still left.
    1995 Privateer Charlie Cox suffers a huge accident, rolling his Ford Mondeo out of site at the Club chicane at 135mph.
    1994 On their BTCC debut, Alfa Romeo and Gabriele Tarquini win the season’s opening round.
    1991 Will Hoy (BMW) is on course to win the title until factory BMW driver Jonathan Palmer sends him spinning down the order when there’s contact at the chicane. Hoy later retires after further contact with title rival John Cleland (Vauxhall).

21/Jan/2010 Champ fronts road safety campaign www.btcc.net

Reigning Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Champion Colin Turkington is appearing in a hard-hitting road safety government TV campaign in Northern Ireland.

Turkington features in one of three advertisements that highlight the devastation reckless driving on the roads can cause.

The ad, entitled ‘Crashed Lives’, is being shown on UTV until the end of February and has been launched by Northern Ireland’s Department of Environment.

It is also set to be shown on other TV channels and the internet – it can currently be viewed via this link http:/www.nidirect.gov.uk/news-jan10-new-road-safety-campaign-tells-true-life-tragedies

Speaking at the campaign's launch, Turkington warned: “I know the difference between being on the race track and being on the real road. That’s why my advice to drivers is keep your speed down on the road.

“At speed, you never know what will happen next. One mistake and you’ve no chance. Believe me, on the track and on the road, safety always wins.”

22/Jan/2010 Brands BTCC records could tumble www.btcc.net

Major resurfacing work at the Brands Hatch circuit may lead to a fall in lap times during its two rounds of this year’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Matt Neal finally broke Yvan Muller’s eight-year-old qualifying record around the short Indy lay-out last year. It had already taken five years (2006) for Tom Chilton (2006) to beat the Frenchman’s race lap record that had also been set in 2001.

But now half the Indy circuit that will host BTCC Finals Day in October is getting a new smoother surface – from along Cooper Straight, through McLaren, Clearways and Clark Curve almost back to the start-finish line on Brabham Straight.

This work is also likely to enhanced grip levels when the BTCC runs on Brands’s full-length Grand Prix circuit on 2 May as the resurfacing also extends from Cooper Straight fully through the critical uphill Surtees Bend which leads onto the GP loop.

The GP circuit’s BTCC qualifying and race lap records will each be five years old in 2010 although it was not until last season that the series raced on the daunting 2.3-mile lay-out after a four-year break.

Jonathan Palmer, chief executive of MotorSport Vision which owns Brands Hatch, explained that in addition to general wear and tear a particularly cold winter has led to accelerated degradation of some parts of the track.

He said: “This resurfacing project represents a major investment in Brands Hatch. Even in these tough economic times MSV is committed to developing and improving our circuits, and the new surface will benefit all our track users. It will be interesting to see what effect the new surface has on lap times during the year.”

Other improvements have also been made to the world-famous venue, including new kerbing on the exit of Druids Hill Bend and a beefing up of the area behind the kerbs exiting Graham Hill Bend.

For all BTCC lap records - qualifying and race - and 2010 race dates visit the btcc.net website's Calendar section which contains individual circuit profiles.

Bell forced to sit out 2010

Medical checks reveal that Martyn Bell will be forced out of the 2010 BTCC season, with focus now switching to a return in 2011
    Martyn Bell is to miss the 2010 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship season after medical checks revealed the need for treatment into two long-standing injuries.

Bell, who made his debut in the BTCC back in 2006 and partnered Paul O'Neill in the Team sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed outfit last season, has been told he requires surgery on a back injury he has carried since an accident at Snetterton in 2008.

Further investigation into a hip injury he picked up following a fall on holiday last summer has also revealed a fracture which needs further treatment, leaving the popular privateer with no option but to shelve his plans for 2010.

"It's been common knowledge that I have been carrying an injury since July, but after extensive tests and treatment following the final round of the season at Brands Hatch, it has now been discovered that I suffered a fracture in my hip, and have now developed arthritis," he said. "Added to the fact that I also require surgery on a long-standing back injury, I've been forced into the difficult decision to sit out the 2010 season.

"I was looking forward to 2010 and am obviously disappointed that I won't be able to race this season, but it has reached the stage where I am in pain driving my road car, so surgery is the only option. I'm also gutted that I've been told not to ride my Motocross bike anymore and I'm not sure I'll manage a round of golf for a while, which is a right pain as I just bought some new clubs!"

However, Bell insists that – with continued backing from his sponsors – he fully intends to make a return to the grid in 2011.

"It's not a decision I have taken lightly, but in reality, I had no option," he said. "My sponsors and backers fully understand the reasons behind the decision and have already said that they will continue to support me despite this setback.

"To have that level of support behind me is fantastic and I thank them all for it, and I fully intend to be back in the BTCC in 2011."

Turkington's BTCC future in doubt www.autosport.com

Sunday, January 24th 2010, 09:47 GMT

Reigning champion Colin Turkington's future in the British Touring Car Championship is in doubt due to RAC's decision to scale back its support for the WSR BMW squad that took the Northern Irishman to the title.

Turkington, 27, has spent all but one of his eight BTCC seasons with Bennetts' squad, but said that with the team still chasing a title sponsor for 2010, he may have to look elsewhere.

"I'm not really sure what I'll be doing this year," he told this week's AUTOSPORT magazine. "With WSR not having RAC as title sponsor, there's a budget shortfall and understandably they can't progress until that gap is filled.

"I'm just having to keep my options open. I'm looking at BTCC, WTCC and the European Touring Car Cup, as are the team, but for me I'm not prioritising one championship over another.

"I'd love to stay with WSR, but I know there are guys out there with money who might be hard to turn down."

AUTOSPORT understands that Turkington has received offers from WTCC independent frontrunners Wiechers-Sport and Proteam. While he would not confirm this, he did say: "I have some interesting offers on the table, but I have to think long and hard about my next move, because it will be a very important one for my career."

Champ's name on trophy - at last!
    Colin Turkington appeared with fellow Motor Sports Association championship winners from 2009 at the UK governing body’s star-studded Night of Champions ceremony on Friday.

Turkington again showed off the MSA British Touring Car Champion’s trophy – for the first time with his name engraved on its base.

The Northern Irishman had held it aloft twice before – at Brands Hatch last October after winning the title and then at the BTCC’s own awards bash a few weeks later – but there hadn’t been time to have his name added alongside those of other fellow greats.

One of the most coveted pieces of motor sport silerware in the world, it has since been kept under lock and key at MSA headquarters.

Turkington told btcc.net: “To finally see my name on there – on the same trophy as some real legends like Jim Clark and Gabriele Tarquini – brings a bit of a lump to your throat. I’ve been beaming ever since!”

Turkington was presented with his trophy by Graham Stoker, the FIA's Deputy President for Sport while the ceremony's guest speaker was Ross Brawn, team principal of Formula 1 World Championship-winning team Brawn GP (now Mercedes GP).

Also on stage at the ceremony, held at the Royal Automobile Club on London’s Pall Mall, was Vauxhall’s motor sport consultant Mike Nicholson to collect the marque's 2009 BTCC Manufacturers/Constructors trophy.

Chilton makes it a date
    Close to five million viewers watched Dunlop MSA British Touring Car driver Tom Chilton appear on ITV1’s dating show Take Me Out on Saturday night.

Some 30 potential dates were asked to either keep their lights on or switch them off according to how much they liked him following three rounds of questions – which included Chilton playing a saxophone full of sparklers!

Prior to that, as he arrived on stage, one contestant observed: “He looks like he’s had a face lift. He’s good looking but he’s got pretty tight skin.”

Needless to say she was not one of the five girls from whom Chilton ultimately had to choose a winner. In the end the 24-year-old from Surrey picked Cally, from Devon (he is pictured above with her plus show host Paddy McGuiness).

Of his date, Chilton said on the show: “She revs my engine. She has a perfect chassis.”

However, viewers will have to wait until this coming Saturday’s Take Me Out at 7.30pm to discover the outcome of the date.

Speaking about his experience on the show, Chilton told btcc.net: "Being a BTCC driver means you're used to lots of people and attention, but coming out of that lift and seeing 15 girls on one side and 15 girls on the other, knowing they are all single and they all might want you was a bit nerve-wracking. Actually, no, it was great!

"As for the face lift comment, I don't mind - it's a bit of a laugh and anyway it clearly means I still look young!"

Thruxton increases viewing

An extended viewing area leading up to Thruxton’s super-fast Noble corner will be open to the public when the Hampshire circuit stages the opening round of this year’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship on Easter Sunday 4 April.

The circuit has spent the past 18 months working to further improve views from its already vast grass spectator banks around the opening third of its lap.

And with the earthworks having now settled, it is in a position to allow fans a closer view of the BTCC’s drivers as they charge into the left-hander at Noble – at 125mph, one of the most daunting corners in UK motor racing.

Additional banking is also being created around much of the rest of the circuit – including along the run up Woodham Hill – and is scheduled to be open in 2011.

Tickets to Thruxton’s BTCC round on 4 April are now on sale via the www.barc.net website. An adult race day ticket will cost just £22.00 if booked in advance while children aged 15 and under will be admitted for free.

For all ticketing prices – including on-the-gate, grandstand seats and paddock transfers plus other details – visit the barc.net website.

Brands Hatch to stage Media Day
    The world famous Brands Hatch motor racing circuit in Kent will host the 2010 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship’s Media Day on Tuesday 23 March.

Media Day traditionally acts as the official launch of the new BTCC season with media from far and wide clamouring for their first proper glimpse of the teams, cars and drivers to have registered for the UK’s premier motor racing championship.

This year’s event will include the championship’s first official ‘TOCA’ test of 2010 – on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit – with drivers on track during both the morning and afternoon.

Brands Hatch has also confirmed it will open its gates free of charge for the public to watch the testing action from the trackside spectator enclosures.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow said: “We’re delighted to be launching our 2010 season at Brands Hatch which remains one of the most famous and demanding motor racing circuits in the world. It will make for a great backdrop for our teams, drivers, sponsors, partners, media and fans as the BTCC begins a new decade in its proud and illustrious history.”

Following Media Day, the BTCC’s teams will have just 11 days to prepare before the opening round of the 2010 season at the high-speed Thruxton circuit in Hampshire on Easter Sunday 4 April.

Nine more rounds – each featuring three races – will follow at circuits across the UK culminating in the season finale at Brands Hatch Indy on Sunday 10 October.

All rounds will receive extensive live TV coverage on Sunday afternoons on the ITV4 channel plus highlights on ITV4, ITV1 and Men & Motors. The www.itv.com website will also live-stream race events.

Race dates: 2010 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship

Round, Date, Circuit, County
    1, Sun 4 Apr, Thruxton, Hants
    2, Sun 25 Apr, Rockingham, Northants
    3, Sun 2 May, Brands Hatch GP, Kent
    4, Sun 6 June, Oulton Park Island, Cheshire
    5, Sun 20 June, Croft, North Yorks
    6, Sun 8 Aug, Snetterton, Norfolk
    7, Sun 22 Aug, Silverstone, Northants
    8, Sun 5 Sept, Knockhill, Fife
    9, Sun 19 Sept, Donington Park, Leics/Derbys
    10, Sun 10 Oct, Brands Hatch Indy, Kent

Official BTCC TOCA tests
    Brands Hatch (Media Day), Tues 23 March
    Rockingham, Tues 25 May
    Snetterton, Thurs 22 July

Fans can also purchase tickets for both Brands Hatch rounds of this year's BTCC online at the www.brandshatch.co.uk website. Prices start at £24.00 for adults with children aged 12 and under admitted free of charge.

Daytona showing for BTCC!
    The Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship’s global reach was in clear evidence at the weekend – with footage of the 2009 season being shown around the Daytona circuit in America prior to its annual 24 hour sportscar race

In addition to attracting close to 13.8 million viewers in the UK alone thanks to live ITV4 coverage, the BTCC plays to a further 1.35 billion people in five different continents around the world.

And on Saturday, just before Daytona’s round the clock sportscar endurance, competitors were put firmly in the mood for some wheel-to-wheel racing as the huge oval venue broadcast the Speed TV channel’s BTCC programme on giant screens and office TVs.

Speed’s coverage of the 2009 BTCC started in December and by the time it concludes later this month will have reached an audience of some 103 million in the USA, Canada and South America

02/Feb/2010 ITV increases BTCC coverage

UK TV broadcaster ITV’s coverage of Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship events is likely to surpass 120 hours in 2010 – beating 2009’s record-breaking figures.

The network’s ITV4 channel will dedicate some 65 hours to showing all ten BTCC rounds live on Sunday afternoons (6.5hrs each from 11.30am-6.00pm).

Ninety-minute highlight shows repeated three times in the following week – on ITV1 and twice on ITV4 – will mean a further 45 hours.

ITV4 has confirmed it will show the highlights on both Tuesday and Saturday afternoons.

ITV1’s highlights will move to Thursdays with a regular broadcast slot soon to be announced.

In addition, the ITV-owned Men & Motors channel will show the highlights after each round meaning a further 15 hours of air time for the BTCC and pushing overall coverage to a potential 125 hours.

In 2009, the ITV network’s BTCC content equalled an unprecedented 116 hours-plus and attracted a staggering 13.8 million viewers.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow commented: “ITV’s increase in commitment to the BTCC for 2010 means yet more terrific news for all our teams, drivers, sponsors, circuits and fans. Our massive TV coverage further underlines the BTCC’s position at the very top of British motor sport.

“This continues to mean that households right across the UK can tune in and watch the country’s premier motor racing championship on free-to-air TV, this year with even more hours to enjoy all the action as the season unfolds.

“Yes, the BTCC has a TV arrangement that most other high-profile national and international race series can only dream of, but let’s also look at the bigger picture here – it’s simply fantastic exposure for UK motor sport and ITV should be roundly applauded by all within the sport and industry.”

ITV has filmed the BTCC since 2003. Its ITV4 channel reaches 94 per cent of households in the UK. In addition, its websitewww.itv.com also live-streams its Sunday afternoon coverage of BTCC race events.

*All above timings are provisional; check listings nearer the event

Whoooohoooooo
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

Wish they would move it to ITV2 or ITV3 lol, ITV4 is the only one that don't work for me
    Forza Ferrari