Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2010

MotoGP 2010

This weekend took the boys to Le Mans with all looking strong in FP. Qualys saw Vale take pole which was good news for his shoulder.

The race had it's moments, but they were few. Despite a brilliant start by Rossi, eventually Lorenzo took the lead and Vale did not have the speed to catch him and settled for 2nd. Casey still not right with the bike? or was it traffic - anyway he highsided on lap 3. Pedrosa was up there with the Yams and then it all went wrong for him when his team mate repaid the favour from last year and pushed in front for the last podium place. Good for Dovi - no love lost there. Dani went backwards and Hayden took 4th on the Duc. My man of the match was Melandri - at last the Grisini Honda is doing it for him. About time. As for Spies - I like the guy and he was awesome in Superbikes last season, but it just shows the difference and once again Ben drops his bike. (Let's hope the JT critics will shut up now - even the magnificent Bayliss struggled).

1. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team 44m 29.114s
    2. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team 44m 34.786s
    3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 44m 36.986s
    4. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 44m 38.46s
    5. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team 44m 41.727s
    6. Marco Melandri ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 44m 51.032s
    7. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP 44m 58.402s
    8. Hector Barbera SPA Paginas Amarillas Aspar 45m 2.242s
    9. Aleix Espargaro SPA Pramac Racing 45m 2.607s
    10. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 45m 2.919s
    11. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Interwetten Honda MotoGP 45m 3.46s
    12. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 45m 6.237s
    13. Mika Kallio FIN Pramac Racing 45m 24.175s

DNF:

Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP
    Ben Spies USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3
    Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team

The Lorenzo celebration - no flag this time, but a chair and popcorn in front of the big screen.

Standings so far:
    1 Jorge Lorenzo Fiat Yamaha Team 70
    2 Valentino Rossi Fiat Yamaha Team 61
    3 Andrea Dovizioso Repsol Honda Team 42
    4 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 40
    5 Nicky Hayden Ducati Marlboro Team 39
    6 Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 26
    7 Marco Melandri San Carlo Honda Gresini 21
    8 Marco Simoncelli San Carlo Honda Gresini 16
    = Colin Edwards Monster Yamaha Tech 3 16
    10 Hector Barbera Aspar Racing Team 15
    11 Hiroshi Aoyama Interwetten Honda MotoGP 13
    12 Mika Kallio Pramac Racing Team 12
    13 Casey Stoner Ducati Marlboro Team 11
    = Ben Spies Monster Yamaha Tech 3 11
    15 Alex Espargaro Pramac Racing Team 8
    16 Loris Capirossi Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 7
    17 Alvaro Bautista Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 6
    "...as always for the Scuderia, the good of the team comes first."

"We are Ferrari and we will never give up until the moment when the maths says it's over."

Usual Pedrosa heading backwards throughout the race! Great job from Lorenzo but Rossi's shoulder was obviously giving him a bit of stick. Loved the celebration. Rossi will get annoyed if he thinks up too many more things like that!

Hehe Lorenzo's celebration was fab, would love to see more like it.
    Last edited by Sianellen; 24th May 2010 at 09:02.

Awesome thread! Thanks, amica mia

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Who could have predicted that Hayden would be beating Stoner this year?

Looks as is Ducati has got the bike so that he can ride aswell. In past, seem only Stoner could get that beast around in good speed and times.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Yamaha willing to retain Rossi, Lorenzo

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Monday, May 24th 2010, 12:48 GMT www.autosport.com

Yamaha's racing chief Lin Jarvis says the Japanese squad would like to retain its rider line-up unchanged in the 2011 season.

Valentino Rossi's contract comes to an end this year, but Jarvis is willing to retain the Italian and team-mate Jorge Lorenzo, and he reckons Yamaha is still a very attractive team.

"That's our program," Jarvis was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport. "They cost too much together? I don't think it's just a matter of money.

"We can give them an adequate retainer for their value, plus a very interesting technical situation and bike."

He added: "I don't like market talk so early in the season. However, we must accept it, so we are doing our talks and we hope to be able to define the 2011 team by mid season, let's say by Laguna Seca, in order to be able to focus on results during the second half of the season."

He said, however, that his company is not ready to enter a financial fight with Ducati for Lorenzo, the Spaniard having received offers from the Italian manufacturer in the past.

"We certainly have no interest in fighting over the retainer. Fiat are very happy and they would like to go on with the same people. In any case, we'll sort out the riders first."

HRC vice-president Shuei Nakamoto added that Honda is also interested in having Rossi or Casey Stoner in its line-up.

"We haven't drawn a program for next year yet. Maybe we'll do it in July. But the four best riders have their contracts expiring so it's normal we are interested in all of them, Valentino too.

"Because Honda is not content with podiums, we want to win. We've asked Colin Stoner if they would like to come with us. However, we absolutely didn't get into the details - like number of years or retainer - at all."

Bridgestone slick compounds available: Front: Soft, Medium. Rear: Soft, Medium (asymmetric – Med. only)

Race day in France brought the highest ambient and track temperatures seen all weekend. The frontrunners used Bridgestone’s harder option front and asymmetric rear slicks, and it was Jorge Lorenzo of the Fiat Yamaha Team who took victory, ahead of teammate Valentino Rossi and Repsol Honda’s Andrea Dovizioso.

As the track temperature rose to a scorching 48 degrees Celsius, almost unheard of at the French circuit, laptimes were slightly affected but both specifications of Bridgestone slicks proved their durability and consistent performance.

Whilst the top eight riders set a consistent pace on Bridgestone’s harder option fronts and rears, ninth-placed Aleix Espargaro of Pramac Racing used the soft compound rear tyre to record his highest MotoGP finish. Even with the high track temperature, the soft compound rear slick proved sufficiently durable to perform well throughout the 28 laps, and Espargaro’s final lap was only 0.3seconds slower than his best effort in the race which came on lap 13.

Hiroshi Yamada, Manager, Bridgestone Motorsport Department said:
    “Congratulations to Jorge Lorenzo for not only this victory but his first consecutive pair of wins in MotoGP. The conditions today were very difficult, much more so than could be expected of Le Mans, both for riders and our tyres so this is a great achievement. We saw some good battles between Andrea, Nicky and Dani, and also in the midfield. I’d like to congratulate Hector Barbera and the Aspar team for his highest MotoGP finish in eighth as top rookie.”

Tohru Ubukata, Manager, Bridgestone Motorcycle Tyre Development Department said:
    “The conditions all weekend have been very challenging, and the temperature during the race was at its highest but I am pleased with the durability and consistency of both slick tyre options. The high temperature did not help laptimes and overall race time but I am pleased that consistency was good. Nicky’s fastest lap came on lap 20 of 28 which shows good durability over race distance. Clearly our harder slick tyre options were favoured by most riders today, for the added durability of the asymmetric rear tyre, but it is encouraging to see that Aleix was able to make the soft rear work well despite the high temperature.”

Jorge Lorenzo, Fiat Yamaha Team Race Winner
    “Today it was tricky to find the limit between being fast without doing too much but my bike and Bridgestone tyres just felt so good and it wasn't difficult for me to keep this pace up. I made a good start and didn’t lose too much time in the first two laps but it was difficult to pass Valentino. I was patient and just waited for my moment. If this happened a few years ago maybe I would have been more crazy, but maybe this is something I’ve changed. I have a very good feeling now and am much more confident this year.”

I really hope that Rossi goes to Ducati (or at least a rider capable of winning the "WDC" )

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I really hope that Rossi goes to Ducati (or at least a rider capable of winning the "WDC" )
    I think Stoner has proven he can win Titles, even if he's not having a good time of it at present. They've also got another World Champion in the team.

Rossi won't go to Ducati in my opinion. A move to F1 is more likely than that. He has it good at Yamaha, a great team, a great teammate and a bike capable of winning every year.

I had to go out as soon as the race ended so I didn't see that celebration from Lorenzo! Brilliant stuff.
    Was shocked to see Casey crashing out again but I like seeing Nicky doing better on that Duke this season.
    Forza Jules

@Ste

It would be a perfect fit, though. On a Ducati, and able to do a Schumi and win several titles in a row

I am beginning to think that Casey might be the same case as Felipe

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    @Ste

It would be a perfect fit, though. On a Ducati, and able to do a Schumi and win several titles in a row

I am beginning to think that Casey might be the same case as Felipe
    I think Rossi already has the perfect fit - he's able to win multiple World Titles with Yamaha. He won in 04 and 05, 08 and 09 and I imagine he will win this year if Lorenzo can't.

Moving Ducati doesn't mean winning is certain, sure they would have the best rider but they no longer have the best bike. The Honda is faster in a straight line and neither Stoner or Hayden are capable of winning at present. Both of those riders have been World Champions, they don't suddenly lose their ability to win, they simply can't beat Yamaha.

I'm sure Rossi will be looking at them struggling and then see how he and Jorge are performing and come out with the same conclusion. Although, he did move from Honda to a struggling Yamaha, so who knows.

OTOH, the team would "his" as Ferrari was "Michael's"

The Italians would go nuts with an Italian winning on an Italian bike

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

When the Duc was a beast and only Stoner could handle it, all was well. They have changed the bike, so yes, Hayden can ride her too, but Stoner is now having problems with it.

Last time rumours of vale to Ducati surfaced the reason he gave for not wanting to go over was that the team were not flexible enough. I think he will stick it out on the Yam and then try rallying for a bit.
    "...as always for the Scuderia, the good of the team comes first."

"We are Ferrari and we will never give up until the moment when the maths says it's over."

Rossi Hurt In Mugello Practice Crash

Valentino Rossi's bid for an eighth MotoGP title has been hit by a serious crash in Saturday practice for his home Italian Grand Prix at Mugello.

Rossi lost control of the rear end of his Yamaha at the left-hand element of the Biondetti esses, and he was launched into a spectacular high-side.

Rossi was in agony as he lay in the gravel trap, clutching his right ankle, which appeared to be bent at a worrying angle.

He has been taken to the medical centre for treatment.
    It has just been announced that Rossi is undergoing treatment in the medical centre for a suspected fracture of his right shinbone.
    Last edited by Ste; 5th June 2010 at 10:00.

I was out all morning so I've only just heard this. Terrible news, feel so bad for him and the fans. Apparently he could be out for 2 months.
    Championship Lorenzo's to lose now unless Stoner can start producing the goods?
    Forza Jules

Rossi sidelined with shin bone fracture
    By Toby Moody and Matt Beer Saturday, June 5th 2010, 09:45 GMT

Valentino Rossi will miss his home grand prix at Mugello after sustaining a fractured right shin bone in a violent crash in final practice this morning.

The reigning champion, who had already been struggling with shoulder injuries following a motocross crash in April, had a high side at the Biondetti esses 15 minutes from the end of the session.

Rossi landed awkwardly on his right leg and was clearly in agony in the gravel trap. He had to be taken away from the scene on a stretcher.

"Valentino Rossi has suffered a displaced and exposed fracture of his right tibia after crashing in practice for the Italian Grand Prix in Mugello this morning," said a statement from the Yamaha team.

"The reigning world champion crashed his Fiat Yamaha M1 at Turn 13, the fast chicane at the top of the hill, and was taken immediately to the circuit medical centre for x-rays.

"Further information will be made public as soon as a more detailed examination has been completed.

"Rossi will not take any further part in this weekend's Italian Grand Prix."

This will be the first time in Rossi's MotoGP career that he has had to miss a race due to injury, and is a severe blow to his 2010 title hopes, with his team-mate Jorge Lorenzo already holding the points lead thanks to two wins from the three races held so far this year.

AUTOSPORT understands that Rossi will be taken to the Central Traumatological Hospital in Florence for surgery this afternoon, where his open wound will be operated on by Dr Roberto Uzzi. He has been flown to Florence's nearby Careggi Hospital for a thorough assessment first.

Medical sources at Mugello have suggested that the normal recovery period for such an injury would be two months - but have pointed out that fellow riders Toni Elias and Max Sabbatani were able to ride again within 40 days following similar accidents. However even such a rapid recovery would potential rule Rossi out of at least four races.
    Terrible news

2 Ducatis on the podium today?

Thumbs up Rossi is back!

Rossi ‘really happy’ with Friday results

16 July 2010

Valentino Rossi shocked all on Friday afternoon by finishing only two hundredths of a second off team-mate Jorge Lorenzo’s pace in first practice for the German Grand Prix, despite returning from a broken leg only six weeks after his Mugello accident.

Many expected ‘The Doctor’ to be away for six months as opposed to six weeks, although the World Champion – who currently sits seventh in the World Championship – has managed a best effort of 1:23.244 in comparison with Jorge Lorenzo’s 1:23.224 at the Sachsenring.

“I am really happy today, especially because I am a lot more agile on the bike than I was in the tests,” he said, having twice ridden a Yamaha World Superbike machine since his fall. “I feel good and this track is helping me because a lot of it turns to the left.

“I am feeling quite confident on the bike and also my shoulder is good and not giving me problems. Now I have some pain in the leg and ankle but it's not too bad, I was able to do some laps in a row and I was quite fast, so things seem okay.

“Now we will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see how the leg is and whether it has swelled overnight or developed any problems.”

"Once again Valentino has surprised everyone!" said Team Manage Davide Brivio. "After missing four races and not being completely fit, this can be considered a very good session. From a team point of view, it was like he had never been away."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/motogp-ne...riday-results/

He's just amazing, can't walk without crutches and yet he rides like hell.

Forza Ferrari! ~ Sempre Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    2 Ducatis on the podium today?
    Please

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Amazing recovery from Rossi. Personally I think he's mad but you can't keep those guys down. I just hope that he doesn't have another accident in case it just worsens his leg and shoulder injuries.
    Would be awesome if he could come back and still end up challenging for the championship.
    Forza Jules

Rossi`s amazing, I`m happy he`s back
    Forza Ferrari!
    CHELSEA FC 2009-2010 & 2014-2015 CHAMPIONS !
    "I am so proud about the people around who support me more than ever, more than 100 percent, much more than I expected" Go Felipe !

great news. I start watching it again. Shallow i know. How much ground has he lost to Lorenzo??

I think it's 52 points, something like that.
    Forza Jules

really, not to bad then. Still on then.

He's actually 104 points behind Lorenzo.

Thats just over 4 races with Lorenzo scoring nothing. Or to put it a different way, 9.45 points per race over Lorenzo.

Still, all it would take is a few great rides from Rossi and some mis-fortune for Lorenzo. The tables can turn very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    He's actually 104 points behind Lorenzo.

Thats just over 4 races with Lorenzo scoring nothing. Or to put it a different way, 9.45 points per race over Lorenzo.

Still, all it would take is a few great rides from Rossi and some mis-fortune for Lorenzo. The tables can turn very quickly.
    Really? Ha ha, I don't know where I got 52 from. Although I was, literally, half right at least.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Really? Ha ha, I don't know where I got 52 from. Although I was, literally, half right at least.
    52 is what Pedrosa in P2 is behind Lorenzo

Ah maybe that's why 52 seemed familiar to me Go Dani!
    Forza Jules