View Poll Results: Should F1 be a true team sport?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, remove the WDC

16 34.04%
  • No, keep it as it is

31 65.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make F1 a true team sport?

Make F1 a true team sport?

If F1 was to be made a true team sport, would fans support the removal of the WDC and just have WCC?

Or is the it's a team theory just used when teams back one driver, and in fact the WDC holds more standing?
    Forza Ferrari

It should be kept as it is.

F1 is a combination about who the best team(WCC) and best driver(WDC) is over the course of a particular season.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Keep as it is and get rid of the Team Orders rule it's pants
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Agreed, keep as is, and get rid of this stupid rule.
    Can i just mention something. Back in the old days of F1, when a drivers teamate was gunning for the world championship, they would actually give up their car when their teamates car had problems, they would actually stop and get out of their car and let thier teamate drive it so that driver could go on to win the race or get the points neded to win the title. Can you imagine this now? So compare to how it used to be, what Felipe did was nothing shocking, its called sportmanship, and we all know that Felipe is a great sporstman.
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

I think it would be brillant to get rid of it, or at least knock the importance of it down a peg or two. If you look at other team sports around the world, people still have their favorite players on their favorite teams, but at the end of the game, it's not about which individual person scored the most, it's about which team worked together and scored the most points collectively to decide who won. Sure you still have an MVP, and the fans still have bragging rights that they have the best player, but the real championship is decided at the end of the season by the entire team that does the best. The way F1 is now, it contridicts itself by saying it is a team sport and the drivers are supposed to work together for the team, yet there can be no team orders and there are actually teams within the teams trying to fight against each other, to the point of taking each other out. What would happen in football if they didn't allow teammates to pass the ball in order to score more points, or if a player kicked a teammate in the knee just so that he could be the one who scored?

Keep it as it is, but I'd like 3 cars per team

I voted for removing the WDC, it's a team sport.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

every team uses orders, the rule needs to be changed.

I say keep it as it is, both Championships are important. Maybe introduce a rule to make place switches more discrete lol.

Forza Ferrari! ~ Sempre Ferrari!

I'm all for banning the team orders rule.... never believed in that crap to begin with.... a team pays both of its drivers and should be able to control how they want them to finish....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    Keep as it is and get rid of the Team Orders rule it's pants
    +1

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

I wouldn't be sad if there was only the WCC. I would like to see points for fastest lap in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by JRX164 View Post
    I wouldn't be sad if there was only the WCC. I would like to see points for fastest lap in the race.
    faster lap is just showing off

I voted YES, but have the distinct impression that I am swimming upstream

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

voted yes aswell. For me its all about the car. But im not totaly for get rid of WDC, it is little something else for driver to go for. Makes the season alot more exciting if we are not in shot of WCC then get our drivers up for the WDC.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    tell that to vettel, all he worried about is to be fastest all time. Not good teamplayer.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    tell that to vettel, all he worried about is to be fastest all time. Not good teamplayer.
    i would. does he have a twitter account?

You remove the WDC and loose 75% of all fans, as most people feel closer to named faces and their exploits than companies, sport is all about human heros.
    Besides, it would open up the chance for other motorsports to take the place of F1 by offering better options to the best drivers and thus more interest from fans. For example, if Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Kubica, Button, Vettel, Webber, ... left for CART and F1 was left with no names and also-rans, no matter how great the cars or teams where it would dissappear in a matter of years. And drivers would move, you can take this for granted, as the best want first fame and being remembered in History, and second money (and it's likely they would make more money from sponsorship by winning their own championship in CART than being some nameless trooper in F1).

There would still be drivers even without the WDC Drivers want to win in the best teams, you can say if Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes etc left to CART and ran American drivers then Alonso etc would not be so well supported in F1 with HRT and Lotus works both ways
    Forza Ferrari

why not have just one car-one driver per team...f1 was set up long ago when there was team order, the drivers used to block for each other. with one car the expense would be much less and only the very best drivers would be on the grid... just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    why not have just one car-one driver per team...f1 was set up long ago when there was team order, the drivers used to block for each other. with one car the expense would be much less and only the very best drivers would be on the grid... just a thought.
    Luca di wants 3 cars, though

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    There would still be drivers even without the WDC Drivers want to win in the best teams, you can say if Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes etc left to CART and ran American drivers then Alonso etc would not be so well supported in F1 with HRT and Lotus works both ways
    Of course, both teams and drivers need each other and their championships to keep their mutual interest in the sport and their respective fans, never said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    Not necessarily. When you have to drive at the back because of accidents in the first corner, you can still have the fastest car and drive a good race.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm all for banning the team orders rule.... never believed in that crap to begin with.... a team pays both of its drivers and should be able to control how they want them to finish....
    +1

The whole team orders thing kinda works itself out anyway because the better driver over the course of a season will benefit from it--if anything it forces team mates to fight for the top spot in a team. Another thing is that switches only occur when there's a 1-2 in the offing, so in theory the same car won and then it's not so much a manipulation of the results as it's otherwise made out to be.

Unless you've money riding on a driver.

IMO, keep it as it is

The driver's title will always be the main focus of the public, most people out there pays more attention to the WDC title. So I don't think it will do F1 any good to take away the driver's title championship. This is why all teams out there would do whatever it takes to grab the drivers title. We may argue about whats more important technically, but to the public, the majority of attention will be on the drivers title and we can't change that. IMHO, it is in the interest of the team as well to achieve that driver's title as they will gain the huge recognition from the public that comes with it. So I don't see anything wrong in team work to achieve a driver's title.

So long as it doesn't compromise our position for the WCC of course.

My interest is in seeing my team win. I believe that if the team wins, then it's drivers should be the number 1 drivers even if they have managed to do it by consistently coming in in second and third places etc because they have gained enough points to outshine other teams. If the team gets the championship, then it's drivers are rewarded by being number 1. If people then want a 'Champion Driver' it should be which ever one added the most points for the overall team victory. But it will never happen.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift
    that's why its called the present

WORLD DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP

Take the world MANUFACTURERS CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETELY OUT OF IT!!!!!!!

Got to keep the WDC. Fans don't idolise teams like they do drivers - in my opinion. WDC is what the drivers really want.

If you want to watch TEAM sport, watch FOOTBALL. If you want to see THE BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD then it SHOULD be available to you via F1 motor racing BUT it's NOT. When I watch tennis I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO'S RAQUET THE PLAYER IS USING. EG: Stirling Moss was CLEARLY the best driver of his era but he never won a world chanpionship because he never had the car to do it .. Nuvolari was CLEARLY the best driver of the immeadiate pre-war era but there was NO WAY he could win against the state sponsored might of Mercedes or Auto Union. I love Ferrari BUT NOT BECAUSE OF F1 .
    A world manufacturers championship should be confined to SALOON CAR AND SPORTS CAR RACING and hopefully by companies who sell cars to the public for normal use.
    I think that the F1 drivers championship should be contested using ALL THE SAME CARS AND DRIVERS SHOULD BE ROTATED THROUGH THE CARS EACH RACE AND CARS SHOULD ALL BE BALLASTED TO THE SAME STARTING WEIGHT

keep it same is not our fault if E Jordan not understand F1 and F1 history.