Thread: Mysterious Fate of Ferrari 458:TEN of its latest model are crashed or gutted by fire

Mysterious Fate of Ferrari 458:TEN of its latest model are crashed or gutted by fire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-3-months.html

The latest Ferrari supercar is being plagued by a mysterious jinx - after ten of them crashed or were gutted by fire.

In the past three months, six 200mph Ferrari 458 Italias have been involved in accidents, three have caught fire and one was wrecked in a warehouse blaze.

There is no apparent technical fault with the £170,000 supercar - it appears the owners are simply the victims of bad luck.

I will wait a few weeks before I order mine

Too many retards have too much cash.

Gut-wrenching images

Forza Ferrari! ~ Sempre Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post

I will wait a few weeks before I order mine

So you can atleast afford one.....gr8.

They do seem rather flammable!

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

They do seem to be crashing/burning/written off at an awefully high rate. I wonder why?

The future is RED

Well the car which was burnt in a warehouse is just one of those things. 6 Crashes in such a powerful car is not really surprising. The 3 fires are a little more surprising and I'm sure Ferrari are taking that very seriously.
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by this forum member are purely opinions and observations and should not be interpreted as fact, or indeed as anything other than a cheap gag for my own amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    They do seem to be crashing/burning/written off at an awefully high rate. I wonder why?
    owners have no idea of how to drive them, to powerfull for them and crash, catch fire maybe overheating in engine bay, perhaps. Damn shame to see these pictures. Bring tears too my eyes
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

hummm, looks like fire extigusher should become a no-cost option and mounted by the driver side door catch , love to know where these cars has gone(which yard), i quite fancy the wing mirrors+few bits for my race car
    However thats not enough to convince me to cancell my order, what a car
    p.s. i hope my car will not inc. the sizzalar pack..

Very depressing photos
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...a-fires-recall

Ferrari recalls 458 Italias after a spate of fires

Ferrari recalled more than 400 luxury Italia cars today after reports that a design fault could cause them to catch fire.

The first incident occurred in July, when the driver noticed the rear panel of his 458 Italia was on fire while he was driving in Paris. A passerby used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames.

A few days later the engine of an Italia driving up a mountain pass in Switzerland caught fire. Last month a 458 in China and one in the US burst into flames.

After sending its engineers around the world to investigate the reports of "thermal incidents", Ferrari asked the owners of more than 1,200 of the supercars, including around 50 in Britain, to bring them in for modification work. Louis Saha, the Everton footballer, Eric Clapton, the rock star, and Chris Evans, the broadcaster, are among the car's owners.

Ferrari said the problem had been traced to adhesive used in the wheel-arch assemblies. In certain circumstances the glue can begin to overheat, smoke and even catch fire. In extreme cases, the melting of the adhesive can lead the heat shield – the liner protecting the engine – to deform and move closer to the exhaust, causing the lining to catch fire.

The owners who first reported the fires will now receive a new model, Ferrari said. A 458 Italia typically costs £170,000.

The other cars will be modified to replace the adhesive with mechanical fasteners. To add to the embarrassment of the company known by its prancing horse, photos of the burning Ferraris have surfaced on the wreckedexotics website, which has also catalogued the various accidents involving the Italia 458. In the past 90 days, the website reports, there have been nine wrecks.

Hate to say this...but somehow I felt that this car was badly designed and cursed...I never would imagine a company like Ferrari would do a recall of 400 cars..an absolute shame...

Quote Originally Posted by mad_ani View Post
    Hate to say this...but somehow I felt that this car was badly designed and cursed...I never would imagine a company like Ferrari would do a recall of 400 cars..an absolute shame...
    Unlike Toyota who did nothing and let people die in their cars, at least Ferrari diagnosed quick, admitted liability and are fixing them ASAP with new cars for the ones effected.
    A disaster would be if they blamed drivers and did little or tried to hide the truth by fixing them on the regular service visits Ferrari's have to have.
    I see it another way, an iconic car is born, what was the Lamborghini Countach if not contriversial? at least this has the pace and speed and handling ability to match the posters and dreams of those who would love to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    Unlike Toyota who did nothing and let people die in their cars, at least Ferrari diagnosed quick, admitted liability and are fixing them ASAP with new cars for the ones effected.
    A disaster would be if they blamed drivers and did little or tried to hide the truth by fixing them on the regular service visits Ferrari's have to have.
    I see it another way, an iconic car is born, what was the Lamborghini Countach if not contriversial? at least this has the pace and speed and handling ability to match the posters and dreams of those who would love to own one.
    Totally agree there. but the front headlights make it look non Ferrari-ish. We alsways had smooth flowing lines....Maybe it looks good when I actually see one rather than see all studio shots...

I just hope this mess gets resolved quickly... the 458 Italia is such a desperately pretty car!

The future is RED

I just hope this mess gets resolved quickly... the 458 Italia is such a desperately pretty car!
    Gotta agree - great looking car. Glad we admitted and explained the fault and also that cars lost will be replaced.
    Still, can't help but believe this just adds to our run of bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Gotta agree - great looking car. Glad we admitted and explained the fault and also that cars lost will be replaced.
    Still, can't help but believe this just adds to our run of bad luck
    Take the positives mate! Unlike some other car makers (*cough* Toyota *cough* ), we didn't let this matter get out of hand and become a huge PR disaster. We admitted our mistake quickly, and are now in the process of fixing it. And it's a simple fix as well, as I read somewhere that recalled cars only need about half a day's work on them. Plus we are replacing the cars that got written off specifically for this problem, free of charge!

And more importantly, the truly great and legendary cars sometimes do have a difficult birth. Take a look back at our history, the Daytona from the late '60s for instance! And remember what Clarkson said in his review of the 458 Italia... that the Ferrari F40 used to be THE king of supercars. It's throne has now been taken by the 458 Italia, it really is THAT good. We are not just looking at a future classic, but an automotive legend!

The future is RED

Take the positives mate! Unlike some other car makers (*cough* Toyota *cough* ), we didn't let this matter get out of hand and become a huge PR disaster. We admitted our mistake quickly, and are now in the process of fixing it. And it's a simple fix as well, as I read somewhere that recalled cars only need about half a day's work on them. Plus we are replacing the cars that got written off specifically for this problem, free of charge!

And more importantly, the truly great and legendary cars sometimes do have a difficult birth. Take a look back at our history, the Daytona from the late '60s for instance! And remember what Clarkson said in his review of the 458 Italia... that the Ferrari F40 used to be THE king of supercars. It's throne has now been taken by the 458 Italia, it really is THAT good. We are not just looking at a future classic, but an automotive legend!
    Spot on mate, I couldn't agree more! Ferrari's reaction to this just makes me more proud to be part of Tifosi.

Just one thing - I really really want one! Anyone with a spare UK170K?

Spot on mate, I couldn't agree more! Ferrari's reaction to this just makes me more proud to be part of Tifosi.

Hmm, I really want one as well! Might have to break out the piggy bank...

The future is RED

I talked with someone who is a dealer for Ferrari here. He can bring in an Italia for 20million PHP. I know UK170k is not in the reaches of 20 million pesos but the remaining goes to taxes unfortunately...

"Always move forward, take it one step at a time, eventually you'll reach your goal and if you happen to fall on face your still moving..."