Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F150 launch on January 28th

I'm glad the double diffusers are banned. Now if they would only bring back ground-effects, we'd have MUCH more overtaking.

Car numbers will be #5-6. only the champion's team gets 1-2 others are in WCC order.
    Weight ratio is fixed to 46:54
    http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...D=376134&FS=F1

and the movable rear wing regulations seems a bit absurd. it can be activated when the driver is within 1sec of the person in front. they are expected to give 15kmph advantage
    so the person behind will get to move ahead on a long straight and the person in front will be a sitting duck. overtaking should not be promoted by deliberately causing a car to go faster.
    The system will not activated immediately at race start but after a couple of laps and same applies in case of SC period it would seem. could anyone please verify this?

and more tethers to hold the wheels onto the body to prevent them flying away after accidents.

Sounds good!!
    Ferrari is a 1:18 scale version of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    OT. Do we get car #3-4 since Alonso is runner up driver, or car#5-6 (3rd constructor)?
    I think it goes by the driver standings so it will be 3 & 4...

5-6 goes with WCC
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    Don't think KERS will be mandatory, however weight distribution is fixed. Looking forward to 20 race year finishing in Brazil
    I am sure it is so every car will have it, sure the teams had to agree to sell KERS to others if they asked, think I read that anyway lol
    Forza Ferrari

Is KERS going to be common to all? i.e. same equipment for all or developed inhouse by all?
    Ferrari is a 1:18 scale version of God.

I still fear red bull flexible front wing.
    I think they will have huge advantage from flexible front wing next year too.
    So wee will not be competitive,unless understand how it work.
    I am not optimizes and i am disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    I still fear red bull flexible front wing.
    I think they will have huge advantage from flexible front wing next year too.
    So wee will not be competitive,unless understand how it work.
    I am not optimizes and i am disappointment.
    We did manage to develop the concept in our own way plus with some extra time i am sure we will have our own system or something completely different and impossible to copy.
    Forza Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I am sure it is so every car will have it, sure the teams had to agree to sell KERS to others if they asked, think I read that anyway lol
    hmm so we can buy mercedes KERS and sell ours at a discount
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

who ever masters the kers/tyres issue will win the wdc is that simple as they the 2 most important facters of next years car since 99.9% all the aero stuff has near on been sorted. since all new aero be on how to replace the loss of the dd more than the f-duct

heres a thought about testing during the season why not say a team in only allowed in total during a season 168 hours of on track testing 168= a full 24hour 7 days .
    since yas island track can do nights can have a full 24 hour session also be good for ferrari world and other hotel guest the fringe benefits

If Williams kers is working fully then the williams team kers will be the best as there system is on paper at least a better system then the battery system. and if is working you find williams have just got them self alot richer as i think even ferrari not bother doing a version of but simply buy there system. they use a "flywheel" system should say that Porsche already uses the williams system already so ....

http://www.futurecars.com/future-car...ywheel-formula and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrx-XDeHOc&feature=fvsr
    Last edited by xpman; 15th November 2010 at 16:44.

I read an article from the Gazzetta dello Sport, and according to the italian paper:

-Pat Fry, who joined Ferrari during the summer, will have a crucial role in designing the new car. At McLaren, he was responsible for the MP4-20 (2005, great cat, poor reliability), the MP4-22 (2007, great car) and the MP-24 (2009, not so great, but was quite fast by the end of the season). Given that the car performance increased massively after his arrival, I think that is very good news. He's also likely to be in charge of strategy next year.

-Now that Renault confirmed its desire to sell the team, Ferrari might try to attract some of their engineers, especially those who worked with Fernando when he was driving for the French team. As a consequence, Dyer and Smedley MIGHT (rumour) leave the team.

-Ferrari might try to hire Giorgio Ascanelli, a former Ferrari engineer, now at Toro Rosso. But Ascanelli already said that he wasn't intending to move from his current position.

-Then there is the Briatore rumour that's been going on for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by harshadvj View Post

and the movable rear wing regulations seems a bit absurd. it can be activated when the driver is within 1sec of the person in front. they are expected to give 15kmph advantage
    Yeah, I felt the same too. Its just weird that it can only be activated when a driver is trying to overtake someone front driver will be helpless which is hardly fair IMO.

And they seems to miss the point to the whole overtaking problem, which is drivers are not able to follow the front car closely due to the air turbulence thing

I'd still prefer bringing back bottom effect. This should allow more overtaking in a better way

just lower the rear wings and thin out the front wings.

They were made that way to compensate for the older cars.

That should work.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    I read an article from the Gazzetta dello Sport, and according to the italian paper:

-Pat Fry, who joined Ferrari during the summer, will have a crucial role in designing the new car. At McLaren, he was responsible for the MP4-20 (2005, great cat, poor reliability), the MP4-22 (2007, great car) and the MP-24 (2009, not so great, but was quite fast by the end of the season). Given that the car performance increased massively after his arrival, I think that is very good news. He's also likely to be in charge of strategy next year.

-Now that Renault confirmed its desire to sell the team, Ferrari might try to attract some of their engineers, especially those who worked with Fernando when he was driving for the French team. As a consequence, Dyer and Smedley MIGHT (rumour) leave the team.

-Ferrari might try to hire Giorgio Ascanelli, a former Ferrari engineer, now at Toro Rosso. But Ascanelli already said that he wasn't intending to move from his current position.

-Then there is the Briatore rumour that's been going on for quite a while now.
    I think all the pieces are falling into place for utter Ferrari dominance in 2011.

Christian Horner has said that this is only the beginning for RB. Let's hope the Scuderia proves him wrong.

Pretty cool intereview with Rob Smedley in Globo, he says Alonso and Massa use nearly the same setup, however, they're totally different when braking as Alonso does so earlier and because of that gets the optimum line inside the curve while Massa brakes really late and because of that he sacrifices the best line while turning but this keeps power and it boosts greatly the exit of the corner. The issue, Smedley pointed, resides precisely in the fact that as Fernando spends more time in the braking he is able to generate alot of heat in the tyres while Massa not, as he spends a reduced time in curves, this is what is up.

Rob added that Schumi and Felipe have the same style, and that's why they seem to be both this year passing by same strong tyre issues, however, with the new regulations that are coming for 2011 they are bent on that drivers with this particular style will tend to be strong.

I still dont see whats the big deal w/kers and why Ferrari was so hellbent on running it last year...Its going to cost a lot of money, mabey not as much for the teams already
    having run it, but I still dont see the point....

And if its not mandatory, I'll bet most teams wont run it, and we may be in for another so so (F60) kind of year...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    And if its not mandatory, I'll bet most teams wont run it, and we may be in for another so so (F60) kind of year...
    I thought it was mandatory. If you don't make it work you still have to leave the required space and weight, that's what I heard but who knows really.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    I thought it was mandatory. If you don't make it work you still have to leave the required space and weight, that's what I heard but who knows really.
    The mandatory weight distribution agreed upon for next year is to ensure that a team not running KERS will not have an advantage.

To make KERS more attractive next year the minimum weight limit has been increased and as a safety net the top teams also pushed through a FOTA edict on weight distribution with between 45.5% and 46.5% front weight distribution. This cuts down the risk of a team which decides not to use KERS being more competitive. The weight distribution has also been done with one eye on the new Pirelli tyres.
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/1...mes-to-an-end/

Cool, thx for the info..

So who will be hurt the most w/the loss of the DD?? It also seems that w/the loss of downforce created by the DD, a larger/lower rear wing should
    be in there somewhere...not a fan of the front/rear wing rules..

So who will be hurt the most w/the loss of the DD?? It also seems that w/the loss of downforce created by the DD, a larger/lower rear wing should
    be in there somewhere...not a fan of the front/rear wing rules..
    I don't have a clue but if I had some power at Ferrari I would hire someone who knows what was the little secret that made the Red Bulls so much faster everywhere.

RB seemed to have more going on w/the rear end of the car..the large exhaust portal, or whatever the thing was called...the hidden exhaust, their DD..
    something is happening there...

Will they still be as good w/out the DD?? If Im not mistaken, they werent fastest everywhere..just most everywhere..

Will they still be as good w/out the DD?? If Im not mistaken, they werent fastest everywhere..just most everywhere..
    You're right, they were fastest nearly everywhere.

I think they had something special. A better DDD, some kind of mass-dumper, flexi wings, heigth control...

The loss of the DDD will hurt RB the most, and the loss of the F-Duct will hurt Mclaren and Renault the most.

But the F duct will stay on the car I think. Just that it will be like the one Mercedes tried. A passive F duct, that isnīt operated by the driver, but that activate/deactivate it self when the speed/airflow changes over the car...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Yeah, I felt the same too. Its just weird that it can only be activated when a driver is trying to overtake someone front driver will be helpless which is hardly fair IMO.

And they seems to miss the point to the whole overtaking problem, which is drivers are not able to follow the front car closely due to the air turbulence thing

I'd still prefer bringing back bottom effect. This should allow more overtaking in a better way
    But then the just overtaken driver would fall within 1 second from the driver that just overtook...would he be able to use imediately the movable rear wing?

what about a tripple defuser? i mean it's not a double (which are now banned)

Quote Originally Posted by brava View Post
    But then the just overtaken driver would fall within 1 second from the driver that just overtook...would he be able to use imediately the movable rear wing?
    It depends. If a driver used this to overtake at the end of a hairpin, and that hairpin was followed by a long straight, then yes he could probably used it to try to re-gain the position. If that hairpin was followed by a series of corners, then probably no. So a bit of strategy has to be involved when you use it. Also, I think it will help top runners overtake slower cars when they get stuck behind due to pit rotation. Honestly, I think if we had this rule this, FA would be world champion right now. He could've easily overtaken Petrov and almost immediately opened up a gap afterward.

So IMO evenly matched cars would simply pass each other back and forth, until someone makes a mistakes. A faster car vs. a slower car would mean the faster would be able avoid getting stuck behind the slower car. Overall I think it's a good rule.