Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Robert Kubica: Updates on his recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    I think we need to show support for our fellow sport actually. Rally must continue forever, just like F1, and not become subject of nanny state rubbish. We certainly shouldn't be attacking it from the inside. Some of you people would wrap these guys up in cotton wool and deny them their right to live as they wish. You should think again. The guys know the risks, all appropriate measures are taken to provide safety, but sometimes something bad's going to happen. It comes with the territory. Support your fellow sports and sportsmen.
    Tell that to the families of drivers who are killed

Just because we love a certain sports doesn't mean we must do it at all cost. Since the death of Senna in F1, we've seen many changes done to F1, and I'm pretty sure all drivers are glad we had those safety changes. There has never been another F1 death since Senna. Can you say those changes were a nanny state of F1? All the strict regulations and effort to slow down the cars that if left uncontrolled, would have been way too dangerous for a human to drive.

Rallying can be much safer if done in a proper dirt track. But it doesn't mean you can just take all the drivers and sent them racing on ordinary streets that wasn't meant for racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Racing drivers who start to think like that don't stay in the game very long afterwards.
    Managers of racing drivers think like that, racing drivers can't afford to. Also, you are still implying that luck or lack of it is something that a driver can be afflicted with so to speak.

As I say, I do agree with you about the rallying but it's pretty clear that Reno weren't in a position to make that demand of Kubica for whatever reason. You can't just force all of your employees to live the way you want them to when you're dealing with employees who are in great demand!
    Maybe the FOM needs to get involved to halt this practice then.... losing a star driver like Kubica for a year or possibly for the rest of his natural career in an event that has nothing to do with F1 kind of hurts.... if this accident happened in F1, I wouldn't have much to say about it given the inherent risk of driving in a dangerous sport.... but compounding that risk by allowing drivers to enter into even riskier sporting events unrelated to F1 is beyond me (especially considering their rally skills are most likely inferior to their open wheeled racer driving skills)....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...o-be-rallying/

Martin Brundle:

“I think it’s pretty crazy that he was doing that rally in between key Formula 1 tests which are happening over this four-week period,” he said in a BBC Sport interview alongside co-commentator and fellow ex driver David Coulthard.

I admire him for having to get out there and just driving something flat-out - we can completely relate to that, no doubt about it - but it wasn’t smart and I think his manager and his team should have reeled him in a little bit on that..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Tell that to the families of drivers who are killed
    Low blow, and taken out of context of what I said. Of course safety will continue to improve, and rightly so, but this was a bad accident made worse by something freakish. Do you think Robert is lay in bed looking for someone to sue? I don't think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    Low blow, and taken out of context of what I said. Of course safety will continue to improve, and rightly so, but this was a bad accident made worse by something freakish. Do you think Robert is lay in bed looking for someone to sue? I don't think he is.
    I was under the impression that you meant any changes or restriction out of an accident is "nanny state", which is something I strongly disagree with. As I mentioned, the death of Senna set in motion massive changes in F1, and to me, that is not nanny state, that is not a kneejerk reaction. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to set of those huge changes.

Of course if I completely misunderstood you then I apologize.

But to me, Kubica's accident must set in motion changes not only to make rallying safer, but perhaps drivers should also think twice before doing something as dangerous as rallying, which is significantly more dangerous than many other sports out there including F1 itself. Racing is always dangerous, but its the driver's responsibility to take calculated risk and not blindly take all sort of risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Maybe the FOM needs to get involved to halt this practice then.... losing a star driver like Kubica for a year or possibly for the rest of his natural career in an event that has nothing to do with F1 kind of hurts.... if this accident happened in F1, I wouldn't have much to say about it given the inherent risk of driving in a dangerous sport.... but compounding that risk by allowing drivers to enter into even riskier sporting events unrelated to F1 is beyond me (especially considering their rally skills are most likely inferior to their open wheeled racer driving skills)....

I know his accident was to some degree a fluke but in principal I agree with you that it is an unnecessary risk to take for any driver whose main reason to be a racing driver is to win a WDC in F1. Your point about their relative skills in different formulae is a very valid one too. One thing is for sure Tony - everyone ends up losing out - including us - and for what?

Maybe this accident will change a few F1 minds on such practices in the future.

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    I know his accident was to some degree a fluke but in principal I agree with you that it is an unnecessary risk to take for any driver whose main reason to be a racing driver is to win a WDC in F1. Your point about their relative skills in different formulae is a very valid one too. One thing is for sure Tony - everyone ends up losing out - including us - and for what?

Maybe this accident will change a few F1 minds on such practices in the future.
    I agree, the F1 drivers should not take unnecessary risks. They dedicate a huge part of their life for F1 and should not risk this all for.....what? Years of hard work wasted for a few hours of fun. There are much safer ways to have fun, even for a adrenalin-addicted F1 driver, I guess.

The problem is, imo, not IF the drivers should be allowed to take risks in other sports, the problem is where to draw the line. What is dangerous. Just think of Mark Webbers bicycle accidents. Our boys are skiing, as some people here already pointed out.

This accident has probably changed some minds in F1 about this issue, but there will never be an agreement WHAT has to change. Maybe people will look at rallying disdainfull for some time now, but the drivers will (god forbid) find other ways to insure themselve if this is what is to happen to them.
    Stehaufmännchen Felipe - Never give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Of course if I completely misunderstood you then I apologize.
    Thanks Hornet. I agree with what you've said, it's other posts that almost seem to be calling for a ban on the sport. It needs our support to see through the rough times, and a good governing body to see sensible changes made.

I have no problems with rallying.... if it's your principle line of work, then you assume the risks of that sport.... I do have problems with drivers going into other sporting events while they are under contract for an F1 team (even if there is a clause in the contract) because they are simply doubling their risks and they may not be as competent for that form of racing as they should be (and really, even the best of them have massive shunts in rallying)...

Having said that, that particular event needs to make changes to its regulations as it makes no sense for a guardrail to pierce through a car like that.... those guardrails are designed for certain speeds, so either the rally cars were going in excess of the speed limits or there was negligence in the contstruction of the guardrails.... either way, saftey inspections need to improve and some new regulations are in order for the design of those cars IMHO....

I have no problems with rallying.... if it's your principle line of work, then you assume the risks of that sport.... I do have problems with drivers going into other sporting events while they are under contract for an F1 team (even if there is a clause in the contract) because they are simply doubling their risks and they may not be as competent for that form of racing as they should be (and really, even the best of them have massive shunts in rallying)...
    If he's not professionally competing for another team then there's no problem. I think he bought that Skoda with his own money; you can't control a guy's personal life just because he likes to live on the edge and loves racing.

Here in the USA we had a great athlete, Deion Sanders, also known as "Neon Deion." He played pro football in the NFL at various positions, which is unheard of in itself. At the same time he played baseball for the NY Yankees! At times he needed a helicopter to get him from one stadium to another. Pro Athletes are a rare and dedicated breed, with extraodinary ambition. F1 drivers being on top of the pile as far as skill and condition. Kubica being one of them. MS racing a motorcycle! They are for the most part unstoppable. " In bocca al lupo!" Roberto.

Great video! As a young boy to now he only got taller! He looks the same. Really cool!

McLaren's message for Bobby:

nice one

Last edited by Tifosi; 10th February 2011 at 09:03.

I read that all the teams have that message for RK in his native language on their cars. That's great to see. I hope he can recover to come back eventually. I don't really mind WHEN he comes back, as long as he can recover well and return when the time is right.. I really do think he's a very very good driver & i'd call myself a big fan of RK. I think he's better than LH & SV but i'm not sure about FA. I love his style & demeanour. & i really hope that he drives for Ferrari one day.
    This fan would be very happy at that.

Power, Passion, Heritage, Beauty, Success = Scuderia Ferrari
    Magnum, Coke, Vodka = Kimi Raikkonen

guys... take a look

That is simply unbelievable. How on Earth did he walk away from that? I seriously do not understand how that didn't just cut him in two, he's a very 'lucky' man.

Really nice touch putting that message to Robert on their cars

Turns out that picture isn't of Robert's car/accident at all:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...river-survives

Seems easy to spot that the pic is not a rally prepared car
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    It does when you know it isn't a rally prepared car

I think it's the sort of accident you don't expect to see two of, so when you see that it seems as though it must be Kubica's.

It was lovely seeing the teams all put that message on their cars. It's great that despite all the rivalries, there is a lot of solidarity when one of their 'own' gets hurt
    Forza Jules

It's now my facebook message.... uh, what does it mean

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    well, not for me :)
    I found it on a .pl forum and the guy who post it said it was kubica's car. the fact is that type of barrier is extremly dangerous...

Get well soon Robert.

Cool thanks!

literally translating is "wishing you a speedy return to health Robert" :)

Home-Lotus Renault GP

10.02.11 Update on Robert Robert’s condition has improved further and he has now been transferred from the Intensive Care Unit to the Department of Orthopaedics.

The surgery scheduled for tomorrow will be on his humerus and foot. A further update will be available tomorrow following the surgery.
    Great to hear he is already out of ICU! Let´s cross fingers the surgery today will went well!
    Stehaufmännchen Felipe - Never give up!

Quote Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
    guys... take a look
    OMG how on earth did he get out of that car alive - some angels somewhere were looking out for him. Thank God he is alive and recovering.

Re all the comments about F1 drivers doing other things - I am sorry but it has always gone on - take a look at what Shuey has done in the past and still does - I guess the adrenalin rush goes with the territory of their lives lets face it I could not imagine the drivers taking up knitting. The reality is that there are always risks with life whether you are rushing down a mountain, driving a rally car or waiting to cross the road. I guess the teams will have to look in future as to whether they will allow it to happen again but is that not going to spoil the glamour and charisma of the F1 drivers and the F1 circus.

Nice touch from the teams to have the message on their cars - just goes to show that even in rivallery there is comradeship - just reminds why I follow this great additive sport.