Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bahrain GP cancelled again ....(or is it ???)

Bahrain GP cancelled again ....(or is it ???)

I read the news that protests have started in Bahrain as well....there were some people killed and some injured ones as well.

Could this prevent the scheduled Bahrain GP in less than one month from now?

Some links about the situation in Bahrain:

http://www.tradearabia.com/news/LAW_193575.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...itical-reform/
    Last edited by brava; 15th February 2011 at 12:52.
    Avanti Fer, avanti!

Autosport reported that it may be targeted by the protester now.

Nabeel Rajab, vice president of campaign group Bahrain Center for Human Rights, said on Tuesday that the grand prix was being viewed as an opportunity for protesters to publicise their cause.

"For sure F1 is not going to be peaceful this time," Rajab told Arabian Business. "They'll be lots of journalists, a lot of people looking and [the government] will react in a stupid manner as they did today and yesterday. And that will be bloody, but will be more publicised."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89491

Sigh... Wouldn't surprise me if the government themself might postpone it

Oh dear. What about the test a week before the GP?

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Doubt it'll happen. Not worth worrying about.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Bernie wants talks with Bahrain's rulers about it.
    I'd post the link but as it's the Daily Mail, it's probably nonsense.
    Forza Jules

I was in Bahrain till Dec 9, 2010 and last year I attendeed the race also. I was employed there, now I am back in India, ther was always tension between the ruling Royal Family and some class community, and it was a regular feature in my 2 years' stay there. But now situation has changed a lot. 2 people were killed in the police gun fire and some around 20 is injured. Now I will call some of my friends there and will let you know about the situation. Media sensorship is now on as I was not able to access the local newspaper today

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com

The front page of the newspaper is not showing any news

Well I wish those people in Bahrain luck. The race just seem so insignificant now. I would much, much, much, rather have those people there earn their freedom than watch an F1 race.

Quote Originally Posted by anoopvp View Post
    I was in Bahrain till Dec 9, 2010 and last year I attendeed the race also. I was employed there, now I am back in India, ther was always tension between the ruling Royal Family and some class community, and it was a regular feature in my 2 years' stay there. But now situation has changed a lot. 2 people were killed in the police gun fire and some around 20 is injured. Now I will call some of my friends there and will let you know about the situation. Media sensorship is now on as I was not able to access the local newspaper today

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com

The front page of the newspaper is not showing any news
    Thanks, Keep us updated.
    Hope your friends stay safe too

It is simply hard to imagine on how they could do any affect to the GP. What would they do, will they barge into the pitlane and attempt to sabotage?

What should be more worrying is the trip between the hotel and the track. We all remember what happened to Button and a few other Sauber pit crew last year

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
    It is simply hard to imagine on how they could do any affect to the GP. What would they do, will they barge into the pitlane and attempt to sabotage?

What should be more worrying is the trip between the hotel and the track. We all remember what happened to Button and a few other Sauber pit crew last year
    Yeah... it's as far-fetched as overthrowing the president of Egypt! ... wait a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post

If it escalate to what we saw in Egypt, there will be no F1. The entire country would ground to a halt.

Not saying that it would, but Egyptians have proven that it could happen if the people wants to.

Let the USA have it instead, for crying out loud

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

In Bahrain GP 2010 , Ferrari loss 2 engine . to me i will be more than happy if this GP Expelled from 2011 Race Calendar

Politics not allowed-TSN Mod
    Last edited by Tifoso; 16th February 2011 at 22:03.

Politcs not allwed-TSN Mod
    Looks like we may have to just cancel the GP and have the test at Barcelona again.
    Last edited by Tifoso; 16th February 2011 at 22:00.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

NO POLITICS
    Last edited by Tifoso; 16th February 2011 at 22:01.
    Keep Racing!
    www.fofassociation.com

Quote Originally Posted by siberianlady View Post
    NO POLITICS
    Last edited by Tifoso; 16th February 2011 at 22:01.

The boring Bahrain GP is under threat.. Oh no what ever would we do without it.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Better not be cancelled cuz I'm going to it lol!

No way the tests or race is gonna happen...not trying to be political, just my opinion...

Situation has not improved yet, today called my family friends there, atleast 3 more are killed yesterday night, so now its 5 and the capital area is still forted by Police but the funeral of these people can upset the situaton again, some offices in the capital and many school accross the nation is closed.......

<Without being political>, from what i've read, the issue may be F1 feeling the need to distance itself from the reaction of the Bahrain government to the protests just as much as a desire to protect the safety of those attending both the practice sessions and the Bahrain Grand Prix. Given the nature of this particular political situation, I can't see this one getting fixed in a hurry

One thing is for sure, if they are going to find an alternative they will have to do it sooner rather than later. I would imagine that many teams would start shipping their kit at the end of this week after the Barcelona test - given that it's due to stay there for nearly 3 weeks.

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

GP2 Practice in Bahrain postponed.

Thursday's track activity at round two of the 2011 GP2 Asia Series has had to be postponed as a result of the wave of civil unrest sweeping Africa and the Middle East.

The event, which follows last weekend's opening round in Abu Dhabi was to have got underway with practice and qualifying at the Bahrain International Circuit but, due to protests taking place against the country's ruling party, the medical staff normally stationed at the circuit were called to hospitals in Manama in case of an emergency.

Two people have already been killed in clashes between protesters and the police, with concerns that the situation may escalate beginning to threaten next month's F1 event, at which the GP2 Asia Series was to have culminated.

For obvious safety reasons, GP2 Series organisers decided to postpone today's track activity until tomorrow, and modified the schedule accordingly.

In order to fit practice, qualifying and race one into the same day, the untimed session will now take place at 9am local time, with qualifying following at 10.30am. The weekend's feature race will then take place at 2pm, with the sprint event remaining at its appointed 2pm slot on Saturday.

However, wider developments in this fast-moving situation may affect not only the holding of the GP2 Asia races, but possibly have a serious impact on the upcoming F1 Grand Prix.

According to reports from motorsports journalists on Twitter, reporters now arriving in Bahrain are being refused entry and getting turned away, while those GP2 personnel already in the country are being advised to stay away from large crowds, and teams based in hotels near the Pearl Roundabout - which is a base of the protesters and one of the targets stormed by Bahrain army forces overnight - have been told not to return to their hotels as tanks roll into the Pearl Square and Manama areas of the city.

There are also signs that communications links are being restricted during the crisis, with the CNN rolling news feed to the Bahrain International Circuit media reportedly cut this morning, and journalists saying that the Internet connection has been noticeably "tuned down", restricting some sites while overall running slow - making uploads of photo and video media difficult.

Top of the list of concerns is the possibility of protesters invading the facility during an event, although crowd handling is not normally an issue for GP2 at Bahrain at least. As motorsports journalist Will Buxton wryly said on Twitter: "Government advice is to avoid large crowds in Bahrain. Shouldn't be a problem. Last year about 4 people showed up for the GP2 Asia race."
    http://www.crash.net/gp2/News/166704...programme.html

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89520

Bahrain GP concerns grow amid tension

By Jonathan Noble
    Thursday, February 17th 2011, 10:09 GMT

Bahrain GP concerns grow amid tensionConcerns about the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix and pre-event test have grown on Thursday, in the wake of the deteriorating political situation in the Gulf state reported to have left at least five people dead.

An overnight move by police to clear protesters from Bahrain's capital Manama resulted in violent clashes, with reports of at least four people being killed. This comes on the back of the deaths of two protesters earlier this week.

With a heavy police and military presence on the streets of Manama amid the government clampdown on the political protests, the mounting tension has prompted questions about whether the opening race of the season, scheduled to take place on March 13, can go ahead.

A leading campaign group in Bahrain said earlier this week that it would target the grand prix to publicise its cause, with Bernie Ecclestone conceding that he was worried about the situation.

Organisers of this weekend's GP2 Asia Series event in Bahrain were forced to postpone the opening day of track action for its event until Friday because medical personnel who should have been stationed at the track were needed to help the injured in Manama.

F1 has just more than one week to decide if the events in Bahrain will force a change of plans, as cars and teams are due to fly to the state for the final pre-season test that is scheduled to take place from March 3-6.

FIA president Jean Todt said on Wednesday, before the latest developments in Manama, that the governing body would wait until after this weekend's GP2 Asia race before deciding whether the governing body needed to take action.

"I always try not to over-react on breaking stories," Todt was quoted as saying by the Irish Independent during a visit to Dublin. "Number one, you have to check what is the reality - which is not always what you hear - and to react without too much emotion and to face properly the problem.

"There has been some movement in Bahrain. I understand things are improving and we have to wait.

"The next step is the GP2 race this weekend... Of course the essence of the FIA is safety; safety on the racing car, safety on the road, safety in our organisation. So that's what we are claiming, but at the moment there is no reason to have unnecessary concern."

The FIA may well have no choice but to act, however, if the situation does not show an improvement.

Bahrain itself may not want the world's media descending on it if there is widespread political trouble. Insurance companies may well baulk at the possibility of star drivers travelling there, and may refuse to cover other F1 staff if foreign consular recommend that their nationals do not go there.

The infrastructure of the event also complicates matters, with the majority of F1 personnel staying in Manama for the duration of the grand prix as there are few hotels elsewhere on the island.

Reports on Thursday suggested GP2 personnel being told not to return to hotels near trouble spots in Manama.

Bahrain Grand Prix chiefs said earlier this week that safety for its visitors remained a priority - suggesting it too would respond to any signs of trouble at the event.

Bahrain International Circuit CEO, Shaikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa, said: "The safety of all Bahraini nationals, expats and overseas visitors is a priority at all times in the Kingdom and, at the Bahrain International Circuit, our focus at the present time is on delivering another successful event in the form of the 2011 Gulf Air Formula 1Bahrain Grand Prix.

"We are monitoring the situation very closely indeed in association with the relevant authorities, and will respond appropriately to any further developments."

NobleF1:
    Bahrain's GP2 Asia event this weekend has now been cancelled. Story soon

Come on Bernie, let's go to Imola.

While he s at it (Bernie), moving a GP to Imola in two weeks, he might throw a glance or two at the remainder of this year calender, and 2012 as well.

F1 GP fits well as catalyst for real reasons of Bernis favourite "wonder economies" venues...funny the way the world turns, and we all know its round for quite some time now.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

Hopefully they will at least move the testing venue to some other tracks if we can't go there after this weekend's test.

Its bad enough we have so little testing time, I'm pretty sure all teams including Ferrari have stuff planned out for Bahrain test session.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Hopefully they will at least move the testing venue to some other tracks if we can't go there after this weekend's test.

Its bad enough we have so little testing time, I'm pretty sure all teams including Ferrari have stuff planned out for Bahrain test session.
    It was planned to test in Algarve, so maybe there is a chance. And the opening GP in Imola would be fantastic! Bernie go for it!

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Please Bernie begin the season on 13th March---don't care where it is as long as it is on. Would love to see it at Imola, Nevers, Kyalami or Indainapolis in that order.
    A cancellation is not an option

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Please Bernie begin the season on 13th March---don't care where it is as long as it is on. Would love to see it at Imola, Nevers, Kyalami or Indainapolis in that order.
    A cancellation is not an option
    If it gets moved it will be to Abu Dhabi. Makes logistical sense, it being 270 miles away. Testing will move there (if the track is available) until more is known i would guess and a decision on the Bahrain GP can be delayed a bit and also other plans potentially made.

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"