Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why this is the right moment for women drivers in F1

Love this thread

My only concern is that I might not live long enough to see a pretty face in a red overall standing on the podium.

I suppose that will have to be a fantasy
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Love this thread

My only concern is that I might not live long enough to see a pretty face in a red overall standing on the podium.

Are you saying Fernando's not a pretty face
    Forza Jules

I don't see any problem with a woman F1 driver, if she has went through the ranks like most F1 drivers do and has earned it, getting a drive just because she is a woman would be a bit annoying, but so is pay per drive type men drivers

But I doubt there will ever be one as they are far too busy shoe shopping and in the kitchen
    Forza Ferrari

I just had a disturbing mental image of 3 lady drivers on their way from parc ferme to the podium after a race. That wasn't the disturbing bit, it was the lines of clapping butch guys in tight lycra on the stairs and the landing that was the disturbing bit!

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    But I doubt there will ever be one as they are far too busy shoe shopping and in the kitchen
    He He you just want someone to start an argument here.

It's just beginning to get a bit boring. Roll on Melbourne.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    I just had a disturbing mental image of 3 lady drivers on their way from parc ferme to the podium after a race. That wasn't the disturbing bit, it was the lines of clapping butch guys in tight lycra on the stairs and the landing that was the disturbing bit!
    im being measured up for mine next week for Melbourne
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Love this thread

Something like this then

Danica Patrick is fast, very fast. All drivers in Indycar acknowledge that and respect her as a topdriver. Winning an Indycar race is difficult and not comparable with F1. She had her one win, but also has been very close at many occasions.
    Indeed she had offers from F1, but was not interested.
    I don't know how fast she would be in a good F1 car, but neither do the people who say she is not good enough.
    We will never know, but many good drivers say she is a real racingdriver.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

There's also Bia Figueiredo, who won one of the races at Felipe's kart race last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia_Figueiredo

Just shows that all people need (barring talent), whether male or female, is the opportunity and the backing...
    Forza Jules

A little Attachment 4109in the belly wouldn't hurt, either!!

OK, here's where I'm coming from: I believe men and women are completely equal in all things under the Human Rights Code. I believe men and women should be treated equally and equitably.

Having said all that, I also agree that it wouldn't be right for a woman to secure a drive with any of the teams based purely on the fact that she is female. IF it's a toss up between her and a male driver as far as their talent, experience, credentials, etc then it would have to be purely a "personality" choice, that is which one "fits" into the organization of the team "better".

BUT, I will go on record as stating if I were to get caught in a burning building and I had a choice, I'd go for that big, burly 6 ft 4 in male firefighter any day!!

p.s. let him be cute, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    There's also Bia Figueiredo, who won one of the races at Felipe's kart race last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia_Figueiredo

Just shows that all people need (barring talent), whether male or female, is the opportunity and the backing...
    I was just about to mention her, although she races in america, since she is a brazilian race, she's alot more keen on driving in F1 than Danica.

Danica is pretty fast, she's not a phenomenon, she is not a loser, she is judged alot harder, simply because she is a woman, i remember reading an article about this just by the end of last season, and they were comparing her stats with that of many sucessful drivers at indy, and it's pretty much the same, it took a long time to win their first race, and it's not until they are driving for the absolute top team that they will win championships, but because she is a woman, whenever she doesn't win, it automatically means she's simply not good enough.

And i'm not a fan of her, i agree she's fast, i agree she's on the top 10 driver on her series, the fact why she's more likely to trade indy for nascar is because it's both in the american market, where she has a strong hold, but mostly, it's a known thing that Danica prefers oval races, so unless F1 would take all the chicanes out of monza and have 18 races there all season long, she won't be interested.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

I think when the right woman comes along she will go all the way to the top. Hopefully someone like Schumi who will inspire a generation of young girls to be interested in motorsports. Hope to see it in my lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pratola View Post
    I think when the right woman comes along she will go all the way to the top.
    From your mouth to God's ear!!

X/A
    for Formula1 hi-res pics. & videos visit my blog
    http://formula1.softarchive.net/

Why not have women race F1 cars with men? Same goes for the Olympics, why not let men and women compete against each other directly instead of having different classes?

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Why not have women race F1 cars with men? Same goes for the Olympics, why not let men and women compete against each other directly instead of having different classes?
    Absolutely as long as "compete" is absolute

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pratola View Post
    I think when the right woman comes along she will go all the way to the top. Hopefully someone like Schumi who will inspire a generation of young girls to be interested in motorsports. Hope to see it in my lifetime!
    In the mean time, she's making a sandwich for me right now.

It seems that as we approach the limits of human capability in combat aircraft (+/- 6G turns etc), women are proving the equal and in most cases more capable than men...

Also as police pursuit drivers....

An honest question are there any women ready to fight against Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, etc.?

Who's the best woman candidate for F1?

Woman don't play in other organized men's sports. Why should F1 be any different? I fear a "Danica Patrick effect"...doing well in the best car, at the expense of better drivers.

I am the father of daughters, and want them to go to the top of whatever they choose to do, but not F1. Too damned dangerous.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I think who ever she is, she'll probably be racing in the states, they seem to accept that women make good drivers there - look at this years Indy 500 Grid

http://indycar.com/multimedia/conten...e_sidebar=true

4 women quallified (out of 33 drivers)

It seems what there are lots of girls with talent in carting but by the time they get to 16 there are way less of them than when they were 11.

some stay racing though, we could choose one of these:

http://www.sub5zero.com/featured/top...ce-car-drivers
    Last edited by bubblesg0at; 24th June 2011 at 22:36. Reason: added hot link

I think you have to have the right person, with the right talent, the right experience and the right opportunities to make it happen - pretty much the same as young men who make it to F1.

There are only a small amount of women currently involved in motorsport in comparison to men, so the chances of finding a female "Alonso" for example are pretty small given the small amount of women involved. With any sport the more you increase the numbers involved the more likely you are to find a star. I think if you increase the number of women involved in motorsport generally then your probably like to improve the likelihood of finding someone of appropriate talent. Whether they will have the opportunities to get that far remain to be seen. I don't think there should be a female driver in F1 just for the sake of it though, she should earn her place just like everyone else based on talent and ability and the ability to win.....not because she looks good draped over the bonnet of a car IMHO.

And yes women are better at multitasking, and some women are particularly good at using spades

Danica to replace Massa...........
    Forza Ferrari

Honestly, I don't think any of us will ever see a woman in F1. It's still very much a "gentlemen's racing club". Although some of these gentlemen tend to act like emo pre-teen girls more often than not (Sutil).

Quote Originally Posted by Brakefade View Post
    Honestly, I don't think any of us will ever see a woman in F1. It's still very much a "gentlemen's racing club". Although some of these gentlemen tend to act like emo pre-teen girls more often than not (Sutil).
    Didn't you mean Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Danica to replace Massa...........
    Good comparison! There probably the same weight and height. Danica is a lot more aggressive and in a real deal car say like Michael had in the day with us, she would be on the podium every race in F1. Caution!! She will never take team orders, so Massa's ride is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblesg0at View Post
    It seems what there are lots of girls with talent in carting but by the time they get to 16 there are way less of them than when they were 11.
    That makes sense as girls are more grown up at 11 than boys it changes at quite a lot at 16.

It wouldn't mean much if a girl beat Federer or Nadal at 11 to understand why there are two different competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by CurdaNeta View Post
    Didn't you mean Hamilton?
    AND the Vodafone Ferry of course.

dont we already have one? are we forgetting nico?
    Silently, like a shadow