Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why this is the right moment for women drivers in F1

It's okay our little feet wouldn't reach the pedals anyway.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    It's okay our little feet wouldn't reach the pedals anyway.
    And your handbag would not fit in the car either
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Ok then, let's take a wider view...her whole career:

So, she's never actually won anything, apart from a couple of karting championships. She clearly isn't good enough to be in F1.
    actually, how many of our current 24 + x drivers in F1 have won stuff? i dont think thats really a good yardstick...

having said that, an F1 drive should be about a racer's ability, not gender. If someone in F1 thinks Danica Patrick is good enough for an F1 drive, why should we question it because she's a woman? i'm sure there are plenty of guys in F1 today who dont really have the talent or ability that she does...not naming any names.

She also never got any F1 favors to help her win, team orders, extra pits for her teamate, the better car and so on. I'm sure she would have had a few wins if she was in F1 by now. I just don't know if anyone in F1 could pay her enough to drive for them. Also a good point is how many F1 guys ever won anything? I remember Scott Speed getting punched after a race by one of the team owners when he was in F1. Danica would have laid him out cold in the same situation. I would like to see her race against Lewis for sure!

The main problem is not the ability of the female, but rather the ability of men. Get men to understand that woman can do the same job as well.

I have seen a female tank crew change the Caterpillar tracks, faster then a male crew. There is female fighter pilots. So the idea that woman can not be F1 drivers, is only a ignorant thought.
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by sv_godspeed View Post
    actually, how many of our current 24 + x drivers in F1 have won stuff? i dont think thats really a good yardstick...
    Most good F1 drivers won an awful lot before entering F1. This is what Felipe Massa, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg won together:

1999 Formula Chevrolet Brazil
    2000 Formula Renault 2000 Eurocup
    2000 Formula Renault 2000 Italy
    2001 Euro Formula 3000
    2002 Formula BMW
    2003 Formula Renault 2.0 UK
    2005 Formula 3 Euro Series
    2005 GP2 Series
    2006 GP2 Series

F1 already has a woman drive... Nico...

And we have a little b*tch... Lewis...

We're set! Hahahahaha

J/K

Either way, I believe women can do it, it's just a matter of finding one good enough. Here's the problem as I see it. Get an avarage driver like Danica, and if she goes to a back marker team or does poorly in a avarage team (doubt top teams will take a chance on a new female driver) then it will be forever said that she "failed because the sport is not ready for a woman" and that will hurt the chances of any other women entering the sport.

In order for women to be accepted as equals in F1, one must be found who can hold her own on track, beat her team mate and if the car is good enough possibly win. Otherwise unfair assumptions will be made.

I don't agree with it, but I fear such is life.

im all for women drivers, if they are good enough.

imo, Danica Patrick is not, as the like of maldonado, petrov, Liuzzi, and others lower down have won many titles, so to even stand a chance of getting an f1 drive, you got to win something in the lower formulae.

but im sure there is a women driver out there that IS good enough.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

If it ever happens, I will stop watching F1

(Yes, I know that there was already a woman driver in F1 )

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

if it happens will they have a grid guy?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    i was wondering about that.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Hahahahahaahahahaahaha

I just had a horrible mental picture of Max. Thanks a lot

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Wasn't there a race in the not too distant past when there were dudes holding the numbers on the grid?

Australia 09 or 10... Can't remember exactly. Looked odd.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Wasn't there a race in the not too distant past when there were dudes holding the numbers on the grid?

seem to remember valencia did that back in '08 or '09 i think...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post

(Yes, I know that there was already a woman driver in F1 )
    There have been several. Divina Galica, Maria Teresa de Filippis, Lella Lombardi, Desire Wilson(who won an Aurora race) and Giovanna Amati, who was quite a looker. Strangely there were many more before WWII than after.

Why don't they just have a womens' F1 race series? Same as in tennis, athletics, soccer, golf etc. you name it.. Same actual cars but with women drivers.

No-one suggests that women should compete directly with guys in any other major sports I can think of right now (6-beers and a couple Jacks chasers) so why in F1?

It would generate a fair bit of interest as a support race, and I don't mean that to be patronising, I mean in terms of advertising, sponsorship etc.and more women might watch the sport. Certanly more guys would, the Sharapova effect.

It would also help development of the cars since no testing

It would help lower costs by having small production runs of cars instead of one-offs. The extra freight costs etc would be negligable (negligeeable?)

The male drivers in the team would be motivated to go faster, not wanting to have slower laps than "a girl".

And the best bit, there would be like a wet t-shirt comp at the end of every race when they spray the champagne over each other..

Win:Win

Quote Originally Posted by XXX132 View Post
    Why don't they just have a womens' F1 race series?
    Great idea!!
    ((NOT the wet t-shirt thing-a-ma-jigger!! ))
    Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    ...name of your first/favourite pet and the name of the first street you lived in...
    Fonzie Henderson?? For a "girl"?? There go the gratuities!!
    (( ))
    Last edited by sagi58; 1st July 2011 at 13:47.

Why don't they just have a womens' F1 race series? Same as in tennis, athletics, soccer, golf etc. you name it.. Same actual cars but with women drivers.

No-one suggests that women should compete directly with guys in any other major sports I can think of right now (6-beers and a couple Jacks chasers) so why in F1?

It would generate a fair bit of interest as a support race, and I don't mean that to be patronising, I mean in terms of advertising, sponsorship etc.and more women might watch the sport. Certanly more guys would, the Sharapova effect.

It would also help development of the cars since no testing

It would help lower costs by having small production runs of cars instead of one-offs. The extra freight costs etc would be negligable (negligeeable?)

The male drivers in the team would be motivated to go faster, not wanting to have slower laps than "a girl".

And the best bit, there would be like a wet t-shirt comp at the end of every race when they spray the champagne over each other..

That is a IMHO a good idea, well not the wet t-shirt (as much as I would love to see it...) bit but the bit about having 4 cars per team / 2 events / 1 weekend. That would be an action packed weekend by F1.

But the costs and more importantly the space at race tracks IMHO will never allow them to race 4 cars per team... Hope I'm wrong!

Clearly you imagine a female racing series as an episode of the Benny Hill Show.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post

I'm told - didn't see myself - that girls & boys (real girls & boys, not just people under 20) held the grid numbers in the first Valencia race.
    Have they reverted to 'girls' since then? If so it's a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Clearly you imagine a female racing series as an episode of the Benny Hill Show.
    Very funny! Anyway as long as Danica or any female driver doesn't go putting there finger up in the camera every time they win pole position or a race, it would be an improvement in F1 right there.

Michael drives like a woman
    Forza Ferrari

And Nico looks like one. Mercedes is doing their part for diversity.

My question is does he park like "some" women?

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    My question is does he park like "some" women?
    See Monaco 2006, yes he does
    Forza Ferrari

See Monaco 2006, yes he does
    I thought he "stalled"?

As a female, no I don't want to see a female driver in F1. Sure they can have their own league, I just don't think women HAVE to be in everything a man does. I think F1 is a gentleman's sport, and should stay that way.

I'm sure there are great female drivers out there, but they could have their own league. That would be neat.

Anti- Ferrari Fans the official breakfast of champions !

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariPassion View Post
    ...I just don't think women HAVE to be in everything a man does...
    From one female to another, very nicey stated!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    From one female to another, very nicey stated!!
    I also agree.....part of the attraction for me as a girl apart from the sound and smell are the hot young guys......not interested in looking at some woman who explains in press conference the reason she didn't win was her bra strap was playing up or something equally ridiculous.......and if they suffer from PMT they could be dangerous out there..........women in their own league or if every team had to have a woman test driver (with their own races that would be great)......otherwise yuk no!
    Keep Racing!
    www.fofassociation.com

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post

And Nico looks like one. Mercedes is doing their part for diversity.
    Leave Nico alone, after his haircut he looks more like a man. It's Lewis who wears the earrings and diamond rings
    not gonna change my profile picture