Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why this is the right moment for women drivers in F1

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    While i think the 'multitasking' thing is a myth, a F1 driver does a lot more than pushing buttons.
    Its a lot more concerning life-style.

You have to work on your fitness every single day. Being an F1 driver requires more than good driving skills. They have to deal with rival drivers, team members, the press and demanding fans. You could even say that they’re constantly at war with these outside forces.

Find a woman who would be ready to sacrifice everything else in her life for driving in a F1 team, and there you go.
    I hate to be the one to break it to you; but, you don't seem to understand the concept of multi-tasking!
    Multi-tasking is the ability to do more than one task SIMULTANEOUSLY. What you referred to is a number
    of activities that are done at different times!
    Tell me, do you know any man who is ready to sacrifice everything else in his life to drive in F1?
    Because, it seems to me, the few that I see on the grid don't seem to have sacrificed the rest
    of their lives. Unless, of course, you're referring to being pregnant?? If that's the case, you'll
    do well to remember that pregnancy is not a disease from which a woman doesn't recover!

If a woman is good enough for top level F1, then I don't see a problem. A driver shouldn't be chosen purely on gender, sponsorship, media skills but on driving ability. Everyone can learn to drive, it's just that you have to be extra special to drive in F1.

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    I hate to be the one to break it to you; but, you don't seem to understand the concept of multi-tasking!
    Multi-tasking is the ability to do more than one task SIMULTANEOUSLY. What you referred to is a number
    of activities that are done at different times!
    Tell me, do you know any man who is ready to sacrifice everything else in his life to drive in F1?
    Because, it seems to me, the few that I see on the grid don't seem to have sacrificed the rest
    of their lives. Unless, of course, you're referring to being pregnant?? If that's the case, you'll
    do well to remember that pregnancy is not a disease from which a woman doesn't recover!
    but to have a child it take 9 months to carry it, now see what happens when you are few seasons out - look at schumacher, that should give a good example of it. and not only that - it takes time to get physically fit. and mothers usually don't risk their lives every other sunday when they have a child
    not gonna change my profile picture

While i think the 'multitasking' thing is a myth, a F1 driver does a lot more than pushing buttons.
    Its a lot more concerning life-style.

You have to work on your fitness every single day. Being an F1 driver requires more than good driving skills. They have to deal with rival drivers, team members, the press and demanding fans. You could even say that they’re constantly at war with these outside forces.

Find a woman who would be ready to sacrifice everything else in her life for driving in a F1 team, and there you go.
    is it the 1920's again or something?

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

The reason we don't have a female top driver probably has more to do with the amount of completely dedicated females racing in the lower series. If there are only a few of them, it's unlikely any of them will be excellent, just as with men. Plus the fact that this is a men's sport, so reaching the top is probably harder considering the reasons for being selected by a team principal are completely subjective.
    Women do have less strength in the upper body than men, which is a problem when you have to perform exhausting exercises with your arms and waist nonstop for two hours than even strong men have problems with, but they are also lighter which in F1 is a great advantage, and they seem to be more resistant to G-Forces from what I read, so although they may have a difficult time getting in F1, they may actually be able to fight on par with the best male drivers.

I think there won't be "naturally talented" females in a while due two reasons:

1. its harder for them than for males (harder, not impossible!) to reach the physical level required to drive in a F1 for so many laps
    2. the interest of females is very very low compared to males when it comes to get into a kart and be a racer, maybe for every 100.000 kids in the world (I made that number up) there's 1 who reaches F1, now if theres like 1.000 girls who get into karting... do your maths...

Also, this is more a subjective thing, and most of times sounds really bad and sexist, but it is my empiric opinion and I can't change it. I do think that the male genes are better for sports and physical competition than females, not just for the body but also mentally.

Sarah Fisher did a test for Mc back in Indy like in 2002 or so. I was there when it happened.

You'll have to explain to me how 9 months can be compared to Schumi taking 3 years/36 months off!
    While you're at it, maybe you can explain why it's OK for fathers to risk their lives every other Sunday
    when they have a child!

p.s. where did that shovel get to?

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    You'll have to explain to me how 9 months can be compared to Schumi taking 3 years/36 months off!
    While you're at it, maybe you can explain why it's OK for fathers to risk their lives every other Sunday
    when they have a child!

p.s. where did that shovel get to?
    Something to do with the hunter-gatherer-ride-a-woolly-mammoth-very-fast mentality of your prehistoric male i think

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Something to do with the hunter-gatherer-ride-a-woolly-mammoth-very-fast mentality of your prehistoric male i think
    Which "just" might explain why it's so much harder for women to get into male dominated arenas?

Nope.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Oh don't worry, we're all too busy worrying about shoe shopping and doing the dishes to consider something so trivial as F1.

Seriously - what makes you think a woman wouldn't be willing to sacrifice everything for F1? Do you think all women just want to get married and pop out babies; or do you think they can't have ambition too? Plenty of the current drivers have families and outside interests and I don't see anyone wanting them to 'sacrifice' that.

I have no problem with the possibility of women getting into F1, but like others have said, I'd only be happy with it if she got into a team because of her abilities and not for the PR value - I hold the same opinion for male drivers.

I agree that it's unlikely that we will see a female F1 driver in the near future but they should be given exactly the same chances as men. Unfortunately if the wider F1 world has the same opinions as most on this thread, then I can't see it happening.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and do the washing, make the dinner and daydream about getting married and having loads of screaming brats, as that is a woman's sole purpose in life.
    Forza Jules

lol- sorry no offense meant! Maybe i have too many women in their 30ies around me who are hearing their 'biological clock ticking'! I never said this was the main purpose for a woman. I said most will see it that way, at least thats my impression from my personal environment. Most of the women i know are indeed more eager to marry and get a family. Not necessarily coupled with 'staying at home'.

So far i have yet to see a woman eager to drive in F1....not even Danica Patrick. Didn't she say she wasn't interested?

And of course it has something to do with the sacrificing-almost-everything-in-your-live-for-changing-stinking-diapers-and-be-completely-happy-with-it mentality of prehistoric female

Seriously, I don´t think motherhood and F1 is reconcilable. I think Stu´s joke hit exactly the mark, it´s a matter of instincts. A mother´s instict will not allow her to give everything on the track, father´s are naturally lacking this self-protection-for-the-welfare-of-the-offspring-instinct which every mother posesses in my opinion.
    Well, but there are women out there who don´t see themself as mothers and deliberatly decide to never have children. I don´t see why those women should not be great F1 drivers!
    I don´t think it will become the standard to have women in F1, but I´m convinced once there will be at least one competitive woman in F1!
    Last edited by Anni; 28th February 2011 at 17:21.
    Stehaufmännchen Felipe - Never give up!

lol- sorry no offense meant! Maybe i have too many women in their 30ies around me who are hearing their 'biological clock ticking'! I never said this was the main purpose for a woman. I said most will see it that way, at least thats my impression from my personal environment. Most of the women i know are indeed more eager to marry and get a family. Not necessarily coupled with 'staying at home'.

So far i have yet to see a woman eager to drive in F1....not even Danica Patrick. Didn't she say she wasn't interested?
    No worries

Not sure if Danica said that, but if she did get offers it would be purely because she WAS a woman, and that would be unfair to other, better drivers that couldn't get a race seat.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and do the washing, make the dinner and daydream about getting married and having loads of screaming brats, as that is a woman's sole purpose in life.
    Good post.
    I knew this was going to be an "interesting" thread.

Forza Jules

Why not Women's F1 races? that would be great. they could do the races with the same teams before or after the men's races. you could use the same cars to save costs, and there could be a Women Drivers Championship.

Like in Tennis, Football, Rugby. But more people will watch it, as it would be just as good, maybe even better racing

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

I think the chances of a lady driver in F1 walking around the pitlane dressed only in a Man Utd shirt are even slimmer Shah.
    Oh damn!

Although, we could do something with those grid girls...

The future is RED

better get my little Keira off to kart track
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    better get my little Keira off to kart track
    Too right Rob! Being a tomboy is/was much more fun!
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Too right Rob! Being a tomboy is/was much more fun!
    she likes to sit and watch F1 races. Now this year she be year old and cannt wait for season to kick off so she can sit with me and watch them. She sits watching classic F1 races on ESPN classic
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    she likes to sit and watch F1 races. Now this year she be year old and cannt wait for season to kick off so she can sit with me and watch them. She sits watching classic F1 races on ESPN classic
    ...til you come in an put Corrie on, I know!!!

...til you come in an put Corrie on, I know!!!
    We all know thats what you do when your Mrs is trying to watch the F1 Stu!

It's like a 1920's tea party in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    She has made 98 race starts in IndyCar with 1 win. I very much doubt she would be a top F1 driver.
    J. Button ran more than 100 (149) without a win then he jumps on a not legal car and won the WDC and a lot of people thinks he can race

X/A
    for Formula1 hi-res pics. & videos visit my blog
    http://formula1.softarchive.net/

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird rs View Post
    J. Button ran more than 100 (149) without a win then he jumps on a not legal car and won the WDC and a lot of people thinks he can race
    Yes. But again, Button had won a lot of things through his career, Danica won nothing. And the Brawn wasn't illegal - get over it. If it was illegal it'd have been banned.

Button is proven, he's a solid race winner and a World Champion (won't be again!).

Danica's a total red herring.

Any person, be they male or female, with enough talent to win in a capable car, deserves exactly the same opportunities. Life never works out that way, but, it is the goal that should be aspired to.

What should be addressed is why girls don't seem to get the same opportunities to get started and into the intermediate levels? Address that, and you will go a long way towards seeing many women challenging for wins and titles - I am absolutely sure of this. Costa is very VERY smart in identifying that there is a human talent pool out there and most teams are looking in half of it for the next winner. I think he's making himself and Ferrari first (something we are used to doing) at looking everywhere for the next great F1 driving talent.

To finish I'll go back to the Danica red herring - "if" she did get a drive in an F1 car I think it would suck because, I agree with those that say she hasn't shown enough to deserve it - but would that be any worse than some of the male "pay-to-drive" drivers we've had running around at the back of the pack recently?

She has an opportunity at HRT provided she can get sponsorship money

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Danica's a total red herring.

To finish I'll go back to the Danica red herring - "if" she did get a drive in an F1 car I think it would suck because, I agree with those that say she hasn't shown enough to deserve it - but would that be any worse than some of the male "pay-to-drive" drivers we've had running around at the back of the pack recently?
    That is very true indeed. At least she would know enough to get out of the way when Alonso comes up to pass her.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird rs View Post
    I never thought about comparing Button. I was to busy lamenting over Bruno getting pushed aside for another F1 loser. But I agree with that 149 without a win = 0. He was driving a rocketship and had Ross in his pocket what with giving his teamate an unpresidented 3 pit race just to help the boy out, and he still nearly lost out. Danica's win in Japan was a big deal for her and IndyCar. Castroneves, Kannan, Andretti, these are guys that will kill to win, and she beat them.