Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MotoGP 2011 - Races & Results

Lorenzo and Simoncelli in public row
    By Toby Moody and Matt Beer Saturday, April 30th 2011, 17:09 GMT

Jorge Lorenzo vehemently criticised Marco Simoncelli in the post-qualifying press conference at Estoril this afternoon as the pair's dispute over riding ethics escalated.

Lorenzo had claimed earlier in the weekend that Simoncelli's riding style was too aggressive, citing a close call between them in last year's Valencia finale as an example.

Today Lorenzo beat Simoncelli to Estoril pole position, and in the end of day press conference, the Italian attempted to rebuke the Spaniard for his previous comments.

"I read something that he said about my riding style, but for me, he said some wrong things, because he said that last year in Valencia I touched him and he nearly crashed, but it was not true because I was in front, he tried to pass me and he made a mistake. For me that is not a correct example," said Simoncelli.

But Lorenzo hit back firmly, saying he stood by his criticisms and that his view of Simoncelli's riding manners was shared by many other riders.

"From my side, I think yesterday I spoke the right words. For me, it's not a problem. If nothing happens in the future, it's not a problem. We'll see what happens in the future," he said, addressing Simoncelli directly.

"I think you have done a lot of touching with a lot of riders. How many races have I not crashed or touched anyone?

"This is your opinion, but I think a lot of people here in the paddock and a lot of riders have the same opinion as me. Ask [Andrea] Dovizioso, for example. Or [Hiroshi] Aoyama.

"If in the future nothing happens, it's not a problem. But if in the future something happens with you, it will be a problem."

In response, Simoncelli joked: "Okay, then I will get arrested..."

The spat drew widespread laughter among the gathered media, but Lorenzo said he had a serious point to make.

"Everybody is laughing, but it's not funny, because we are playing with our lives," he said. "We are riding at 300 km/h with a very powerful and very heavy bike. It's not mini-bikes. It's a dangerous sport and you have to think about what you do."

Asked if he would feel comfortable potentially battling for victory with Simoncelli in tomorrow's grand prix, Lorenzo said he was happy to fight and confident in his own ethics.

"It's okay, I'm ready for a fight with other riders," he said.

"I don't like to fight not clean. I crashed into [Alex] de Angelis in Japan, and he crashed because of my mistake, but from this time forwards I've tried to ride clean.

"I can make a mistake because I'm human. But when I ride, I think twice. I am not impulsive because it's one thing to play with your health, but another thing to play with the other riders' health."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91029
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

With conditions more variable than they had been on Friday, the two Ducati MotoGP Team riders struggled more than expected to find the best setup during qualifying for the Portuguese Grand Prix. The third free-practice session, which took place on a mostly wet track, was positive for both riders, with Hayden third and Rossi fourth, while the afternoon session, which was dry but with a slightly dirty track, saw the Italian finish ninth and the American thirteenth. Valentino Rossi (Ducati MotoGP Team) 9th, 1:38.271
    “I’m a little disappointed with my performance today because I expected to get the fifth- or sixth-best time and be on the second row; that was the target. Unfortunately, though, it was a little more difficult than expected, and I wasn’t able to ride like I could yesterday since I didn’t have as much feeling. I couldn’t fight for a position that we would have been happier with. I struggled a little with the track conditions, as I didn’t have enough grip, especially on the front, and we’re trying to understand why. For tomorrow, we have to try to improve something with the front setup in order to still have a good race. I think the best pace will be around 1:37.5, and I’d be very happy to get in the high 1:37s, but we’ll have to find something in order to do that. I’m not hoping for a wet race, because although it’s true that we might be able to have more fun, racing in the dry makes it possible to understand more. Really, both options are fine.” Nicky Hayden (Ducati MotoGP Team) 13th, 1:38.922
    “I really thought we had made some good progress yesterday, and I’m certainly not thrilled about qualifying thirteenth, especially when we were third this morning—I liked the sound of that a lot better. This morning we went out on the slicks and had a pretty decent feeling for a patchy track. In the afternoon, the track was pretty dry apart from a few patches, but it was definitely cooler and dirty, which didn’t help with the tyres. I just wasn’t able to get enough grip, especially in the front and over the bumps. I had one front tyre that we couldn’t get to come in for some reason, and between losing those laps and coming back in to change it, we lost some time there. We also made a change with the rear to try to get it to turn better, and maybe we went too far and got it a bit wrong. Anyway, that clearly wasn’t good enough, but we’ll give it our best tomorrow.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

does anyone have a video of Rossi talking about Stoner? i heard Rossi was pretty angry.

oh and i am in no means an expert, but how come lorenzo is on pole? i thought the Hondas were miles ahead.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 1st May 2011 at 09:53.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    does anyone have a video of Rossi talking about Stoner? i heard Rossi was pretty angry.

oh and i am in no means an expert, but how come lorenzo is on pole? i thought the Hondas were miles ahead.
    He took Stoner out mate i am not happy

Tifoso will be happy. Vale on the way to the podium.

great ride by Vale, i hoped he would have passed dovisioso, but i guess now Stoner will run away with the title. Lorenzo and Yamaha need to improve that bike, but The Doctor is back
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 15th May 2011 at 13:07.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Go stoner awesome ride.