Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vettel's crash has uncovered RBR mysterious speed?

Vettel's crash has uncovered RBR mysterious speed?

According to one F1 correspondent, Sebastian Vettel’s slippery slide into the wall on Friday revealed a hidden secret of his dominant Red Bull car.
    The team’s rivals are yet to uncover the mystery of how the RB7 passes the ever-stricter flexibility tests whilst the front wing still so obviously bends towards the track.

It is believed teams including Ferrari and Mercedes are getting closer to the mystery, but the damage to Vettel’s wing incurred by his Istanbul practice crash might have provided yet another clue.

El Pais correspondent Oriol Puigdemont wrote from Turkey that unidentified wires or cables were seen dangling from the upright supports after the main element of the front wing broke off following Vettel’s crash.

The cables were “the beginning of much speculation”, claimed Puigdemont, acknowledging that the wires could simply be for observation cameras placed around the car by the team.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My theory is,that they have some sort of mechanisme in the front wing which they can activate whenever they want,and get the front wing "hot" during the driving so it gets more flexible.The cables getting the front wing warm and make it flex or something.
    Maybe thats why they have/had problems with their KERS..?And maybe thats why Webber was so furious when Vettel got his front wing aftera crash in practice last year.. :)

So if they broke a front wing during a race, how could they quickly replace it
    with what I assume is a cable connected somewhere in the front of the car??
    Def doesnt look like any of the other teams wings that they put on the stands
    at their pits during a race weekend.
    I'll bet this photo has the other teams jumping beans.

would be awesome if they had a manual system to drop the wing and it's exposed and they are banned from F1 forever
    Forza Ferrari

They're probably just load or data sensors. The same thing could be seen on a Ferrari front wing several seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    So if they broke a front wing during a race, how could they quickly replace it
    with what I assume is a cable connected somewhere in the front of the car??
    Thats a good point. Could be part of some testing stuff. Unless there is a slip-catch mechanism that connects these cables to the main frame. Even then its a bit tricky should they need to replace a nose in a race situation.
    But i expect the theories to start pouring in now... if it can disrupt RBs preparation, i more than welcome it.
    Silently, like a shadow

Ferrari front wing, from 2006, I think

Red Bull front in Turkey

Probably something all teams have, which is why they are not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by sennalonso View Post
    According to one F1 correspondent, Sebastian Vettel’s slippery slide into the wall on Friday revealed a hidden secret of his dominant Red Bull car.
    The team’s rivals are yet to uncover the mystery of how the RB7 passes the ever-stricter flexibility tests whilst the front wing still so obviously bends towards the track.

It is believed teams including Ferrari and Mercedes are getting closer to the mystery, but the damage to Vettel’s wing incurred by his Istanbul practice crash might have provided yet another clue.

El Pais correspondent Oriol Puigdemont wrote from Turkey that unidentified wires or cables were seen dangling from the upright supports after the main element of the front wing broke off following Vettel’s crash.

The cables were “the beginning of much speculation”, claimed Puigdemont, acknowledging that the wires could simply be for observation cameras placed around the car by the team.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    this image is i think from Spa 2010, also he has the number 5 on the turning vane on the side pod.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

They wouldnt complain..they'd try to figure it out n copy it.
    Then again, if they are just built into the nose section, and with downforce,
    simply pull the whole nose section down, the front wing would still pass the fia test.
    I think..
    The games afoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    would be awesome if they had a manual system to drop the wing and it's exposed and they are banned from F1 forever

The car in the picture is the RB6 and it has cables coming out of the wing/nose so if the secret wasn't revealed then I don't think it will be now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    this image is i think from Spa 2010, also he has the number 5 on the turning vane on the side pod.
    looks like Pirelli tyres
    Forza Ferrari

looks like Pirelli tyres
    check out the turning vane on the side pod chap.....5

The tyres have a green stripe, the car has a shark fin and the bulges on the nose are exaggerated like the were in 2010, definitely the RB6 at Spa last year.

That's some impressive eye sight to spot the numer 5 Rob, I still can't see that even when looking for it!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    The tyres have a green stripe, the car has a shark fin and the bulges on the nose are exaggerated like the were in 2010, definitely the RB6 at Spa last year.

That's some impressive eye sight to spot the numer 5 Rob, I still can't see that even when looking for it!
    cheers dude

where the Red Bull side is on side pod, look to the right of top of the LL dead level with that and top of the front right tyre

One of the most obvious give aways as well is sebs helmet; that definitely was the helmet he used last year.

Oh yes see it now! I never would have recognised it as a 5 though without being told, maybe need to get to Specsavers

At first I was confused about the cables. In 2010 it could be explained because of the adjustable front wing, but in 2011 it is more difficult to understand why they are there.

They are probably just pressure sensors, but you could be onto something. I doubt the cables have anything to do with the flexing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    check out the turning vane on the side pod chap.....5
    Can't see that, but yeah Vettel crashed in the rain in Turkey, slicks on that car
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    Oh yes see it now! I never would have recognised it as a 5 though without being told, maybe need to get to Specsavers

Can't see that, but yeah Vettel crashed in the rain in Turkey, slicks on that car
    plus the barriers in Turkey are armco.

Anyway, those wires dont fully understand what they would be for. Dont think they sensors. Dont think as mentioned in above post they there to warm up the wing. Fibre class would need to be ruddy hot to bend "flex" like that.

Does this mean that Red Bull are still using the same design as I found a picture of the wing now in turkey.

an interesting theory by an analist there:

Imagine a steel cable that runs from the top of the nosecone to the wing tips which prevents them from moving (a little bit like the support cables found between the wings on a biplane). Now, if that hypothetical cable was loosened, the tips would be given the freedom to flex and would naturally fall closer to the ground. If such a concept could be implemented inside the wing, even using something as simple as a cable, it would enable [the] wing's elasticity to be switched on and off by the driver.

Just another way to blame some one else
    We are working on our problem and will get it fixed soon.
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

The front wing is adjustable, I'd guess that's what they are for

Quote Originally Posted by justjesper View Post
    Just another way to blame some one else
    We are working on our problem and will get it fixed soon.
    I don't see any blaming.

Its a well known fact that the RB's front wing do flex. People are just trying to guess how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Last year they where adjustable, the driver could adjust them..This year it`s banned..

In the first picture posted (Spa 2010) the cables can be explained that way...

But the second picture posted where the car is on the back of a truck, that`s this years car and those cables could be for the camera ,but they seem to be to slim to be optical cables but then again it`s F1 and you never know...

Does somebody know if the cameras that the FIA put on the car are wireless in a way that the transmitters are in the camera pod, or are they connected to a transmitter somewhere in the car ?

But even if the camera are completly wireless then the cables could still be from sensors.
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

When Vettel crashed and car was in pits, RB put up screens infront, which is not quit allowed, and one BBC commentator told that FIA delegate went to look at crashed car to see if he can find anything. From past, if FIA finds something fishy, they don't scream about it, but quietly tell team to get rid of it, (of course there are some exceptions if other team finds something), and in next race team get slower ... will see in Spain ...

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Not anymore they removed it
    Forza Ferrari