Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Matter of time before Webber sorts Seb out'

'Matter of time before Webber sorts Seb out'

Red Bull's Paul Monaghan reckons there will come a time this season when Mark Webber 'sorts out' his team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

Webber has been forced to play second fiddle to Vettel this season as the reigning World Champ has gone on a charge, taking six victories from eight grands prix.

In sharp contrast, Webber has yet to win a grand prix and trails Vettel by 77 points.

The German has also had the upper hand in qualifying, claiming seven pole positions to Webber's one.

However, Monaghan, Red Bull's head of race engineering, is adamant that the two are very evenly matched, it's just that Vettel has managed to cope better with Q3 than his Australian team-mate, giving him the edge on race Sundays.

"There are two aspects to it," he said during Thursday's FOTA Fan Forum when asked about the 'main differences' between two team-mates.

"First, their confidence levels and, second, how well they handle that last part of qualifying.

"You can see the confidence levels between team-mates rise and fall during the course of a season. We saw that last year within our team.

"As for the last part of qualifying, the data might reveal a small mistake by one driver at one corner and he then pays for that down the subsequent straight or series of corners.

"It might produce a lap time difference of 0.2s, or three places on the grid. They are minute gaps and I wouldn't suggest that either one of your drivers is under-performing.

"In our case, I'm sure Mark will sort Sebastian out at some point this year, and he probably can't wait to do it at Silverstone."

So what's been suggested here is that since engine mapping will be banned, both drivers will have relatively speaking, same car. This in turn suggests that webber's car was different to seb's in that reference this whole year.

Just have to wait and see if webber close the gap right up or ultimately gets pole.. With our updates, I hope the Ferrari's are on podium.

Webber has the same car, there is nothing there that suggests otherwise?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by theforce View Post
    So what's been suggested here is that since engine mapping will be banned, both drivers will have relatively speaking, same car. This in turn suggests that webber's car was different to seb's in that reference this whole year.

Just have to wait and see if webber close the gap right up or ultimately gets pole.. With our updates, I hope the Ferrari's are on podium.
    Where does it suggest that Webber's car was different? Did you read the same article you posted?
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

So Vettel had the more aggresive engine mapping, while Webber not?
    Avanti Fer, avanti!

i see it as the lack of the crazy gases, may play into Webbers style.

RedBull said last year, that before the update in Valencia, Webber was enjoying the car more than Vettel, but then, Vettel got better with the update there.

maybe by 'update' , they mean this mapping? well all will come clear in silverstone.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

I hope so for Mark because he has been beaten 14 races in a row by his teammate now.

Webber works his ass off and is still slower than his team mate. Vettle is just faster than webber, maybe, maybe not. We'll find out.

Why would someone come out now and say that Webber will put Vettle in his spot just before Silverstone when mapping is banned? It's going to happen and they just wanted to give everyone a heads up for when it does happen to eliminate the need by people to suggest it was all down to engine mapping.

can we have a fan boy section, and a F1 section please? I reading these forums becoming hard work now!

There's no reason why RB would give Webber a slower car. Every team needs both their drivers up there for the constructors title, as well as taking points away from rivals. If they have a fast car, it makes no sense to just give one driver let the other driver being handicapped for no reason.

In the same team and car, Webber is just simply slower than Vettel, simple as that. The result speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by theforce View Post

That rumour is getting bigger and bigger, I would say it's huge now.

Let's see what happens in UK, I would love a ZERO for Vettel, Webber, Hamilton and Button.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    There's no reason why RB would give Webber a slower car. Every team needs both their drivers up there for the constructors title, as well as taking points away from rivals. If they have a fast car, it makes no sense to just give one driver let the other driver being handicapped for no reason.

In the same team and car, Webber is just simply slower than Vettel, simple as that. The result speaks for itself.
    When your car is so much faster you can do whatever you want, you can pick one of your drivers to make him win the title and still have the other in the 2nd place and of course grab the Constructors' title.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    That rumour is getting bigger and bigger, I would say it's huge now.

Let's see what happens in UK, I would love a ZERO for Vettel, Webber, Hamilton and Button.
    Webber would not be shy in letting everyone know if he was not getting the same car, he might well beat Seb at Vettel, it's one of his better tracks, won't mean much though as they still had the same car.

Maybe Massa is not getting the same car as Fernando as well?
    Forza Ferrari

I read an interview a while ago with Christian Horner (wish I could find the damn thing now) where he made a comment about the fact Webber was better than Vettel at using the throttle midcorner before the engines had an automatic over run and this gave him a slight advantage. Seems plausible as once they got the automated system it took Webbers advantage away and Vettel has been soundly beating him since.

Maybe this ban will give Webber the chance fight back against Vettel?

I really don't care that much if Vettel beats Webber or vice versa......I would just dearly love to see red on steps 1 and 2 of the podium for the rest of the season...........(yeah I am allowed to dream........)
    Keep Racing!
    www.fofassociation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Webber has the same car, there is nothing there that suggests otherwise?
    And how would u know Greig?? do you work for red bull??? do you have any inside word???
    unless u do so, i'd hold my saying on that...it clearly shows that webber has been playing second fiddle from day ONE in australia, and hate to say it, it will prolly be like that for the rest of the season...after all, WE ALL KNOW IS NR. 2 DRIVER
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

To all people who think that RedBull are CLEARLY treating Webber as a second driver, please state how is it visible. (Apart from the 2010 Silverstone front wing crap)

It's rumored Webber is better at handling a car with no off-throttle EBD than Vettel. Also, if you remember last year, Webber was on par with Vettel, until RB started to introduce more aggressive off-throttle EBD maps. Then Webber slowly started to fade into the background.

Good for Championship if he does.........

Never say never.

You are a tease.

Forza Jules

I just love reading how people here claim to "know" who is or is not getting a better car at Red Bull.

Fact of the matter is that last year Webber lead Vettel most of the year, but Vettel ended up ahead when it counted. This year Seb has been much better that Webber. We'll see where they end up at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Fact of the matter is that last year Webber lead Vettel most of the year, but Vettel ended up ahead when it counted. This year Seb has been much better that Webber. We'll see where they end up at the end of the year.
    Some still remember the front wing on Webber's car that was for Vettel, Red Bull blaming Webber after a stupid move by Vettel in Turkey and a few other anecdotes. I have no problem with that, they put a lot of money on the team and they make their own decisions.

If you ask me I can't say whether both cars are the same or not but Vettel is driving much better this season. Easier on a RB7 though.

If you ask me I can't say whether both cars are the same or not but Vettel is driving much better this season. Easier on a RB7 though.
    Yeah but Webber was in front of Seb at the beginning of the last race in Abu Dhabi 2010 which translates that he had out performed Seb ---YET he's in a different planet this year!!!!!
    Seb's flying and in the same car Mark's mediocre.
    What's up????? Does he now realise he will never be WDC in a Bull???

Forza Jules

The time has come.

Isn't it funny that with the EBD not 'working like intended', Webber is faster in qualy than Vettel? I mean, come ooooon....

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Isn't it funny that with the EBD not 'working like intended', Webber is faster in qualy than Vettel? I mean, come ooooon....
    EXACTLY what i said in the other thread.

Yeah funny that

Not really this is a webber track
    Forza Ferrari

The time has come.

Indeed, the time has come for the Ferraris to finally beat the flying drinkbottles
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Not really this is a webber track
    That would explain part of Webber's pole at Silverstone but I don't think all the other tracks this season were Vettel's for such a big margin.

Anyway, nice to see Webber on pole and Ferrari so close to the Red bulls on a track like Silverstone.